John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 142 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 142 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


unto Adam Eichelberger tlie right of
being a trustee for the Lutheran and Re-
formed congregations and for a school build-
ing, but "reserving and retaining for them-
selves entire use and their successors forever;
a house of worship to be erected on some
part of said land when said Mennonite con-
gregation may see tit to erect one." The
house built that year lasted many years, until
the present one, now used only for a meeting-
house, was built. The congregation that
worships in Bair's Meeting House is con-
nected with the Hanover Church, of the same
denomination, and Hostetter's Meeting House
in Adams County — the three meetings form
one organization of about 100 members.
Samuel Myers, Martin Whistler and Jacob
Hostetter, Sr., are the present preachers;
services are held in English and German.

Among the many tombs in the graveyard
adjoining this meeting house, the following
inscriptions were copied:

Mary M. Rudisilldied December 17, 1881,
aged ninety-eight years, six months and
nine days.

Andrew Rudisill died November 1, 1880,
aged ninety-two years, eleven months and
one day.

Eve Rudisill, wife of Jacob Fishel, died
January 11, 1877, aged eighty-five years.

Barbara E. Wildasin, wife of Andrew
Rudisill, died July 28, 1859, aged one
hundred and eleven years, nine months and
twenty-two days.

Here lies the body of George Trone, born
April 5, 1709, died July 1, 1778.



SCHOOLS.



The township of Heidelberg has five
schools as follows: Bair's, Mt. Carmel,
Ferry's, Porter's and Hohf's.

The board of directors for the past year
were H. W. Smith, R. M. Moul, H. D.
Hamm, Daniel Forry, Daniel Whorley and
Jacob Brillhart.

AN HISTORIC SPOT.

On the hillside west of Menges' Mills, is
an historic spot. Here on the night of
May 26, 1781, the distinguished Revolution-
ary hero, Gen. Anthony Wayne, encamped
with about 1,000 men. They left York at
9 A. M. He and his soldiers had become
famous for their daring bravery in several
hard fought battles, especially at Stony
Point, Brandywine and Paoli. The cam-
paigns in the north had virtually ended, and
he, according to the direction of Washington,
was ordered southward to join Lafayette's
army in Virginia. The commander, as was



his custom, rested for the night in camp with
his men. Shortly after sunrise they took up
their march through Hanover, and encamped
for the next night near Littlestown. They
passed through Taneytown and halted upon
the banks of Pipe Creek, where they encamped
on the night of the 28th of May, and on the
following night on the south bank of the
Monocacy River. At this point they remained
one day. May 30, and washed and cleaned
their arms, and at 7 P. M. were reviewed by
their commanding general. They passed
through Frederick at 8 A. M. At this place
there were a number of British officers kept
as prisoners of war who were privileged to
take a view of Gen. Wayne and his men.
They crossed the Potomac at Noland's Ferry,
where they halted for the artillery and bag-
gage to cross. The troops crossed in the
evening and halted one mile from the ferry
and lay without tents, it raining the chief
part of the night. Crossing at this place
four men were drowned; one of the scows
sank. One of the lost was a sergeant. The
average distance of their daily march was
about fifteen miles.

Near the south branch of the Rappahan-
nock, on June 1 0, after a march that day of
twenty-three miles they joined the army of
Gen. LaFayette. That day they were cheered
by meeting a body of 1,800 Virginia militia-
who were marching to the front. October 19
of that year this patriotic band were present
as a part of LaFayette's command, at the sur-
render of Lord Cornwallis at Yorktown, Va.
Capt. McCIellan. oE York County, who was
with Wayne, in his diary says of the sur-
render: "The British marched out and
grounded their arms in front of oiu- lines.
Our whole army drew up for them to march
through, the French army on their right and
the American army on their left, with the
stars and stripes floating in the gentJe
breeze."

There is some significance in the event of
Gen. Wayne and his patriot band crossing
York County on the southern march. It
occurred near the last of the great struggle
for freedom, and they soon after took part in
the culminating event of the war, the siege
and surrender of Yorktown and the capture
of the British army.

When the reader recalls to memory the
fact that Gen. Kilpatrick just eighty-two
years later, almost to the day, encamped on
nearly the same spot crossed, the western
portion of York County, and soon thereafter
engaged in the great and decisive conflict at
Gettysburg, the coincidence is somewhat
striking. The commanders of these armies



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY.



were similar in nature and temperament.
Both had won victories with the same mili-
tary strategy, and both were bold, daring, in-
trepid and impetuous officers. They both
died when comparatively young msa under
similar circumstances and from similar
causes.



first settled. On the farm of Karl Forney,
one of these old land-marks is still standing.
In 1850 it measured twenty-one feet in cir-
cumference. Iq 1885 it had exactly the same
dimensions. The two farms owned now by
Karl Forney and A. W. Forney, adjoining
Hanover, have been owned by the descendants
of Adam and Nicholas Forney since they were
first purchased in 1730. On the former farm
Philip Forney was shot by an Indian.



THE TOWNSHIP OF PENN.

THIS township surrounds the borough of
Hanover, and is boanded on the west by
Adams County. Originally much of its ter-
ritory was included in "Digges' Choice."
From 1750 to 1880 Penn was embraced in
Heidelberg, except that portion of it which
was included in Manheim until the annexation
of 1816. Within its present territory there
were many conflicting claims to land titles,
during the time of the early settlement
These difficulties are described in the front
part of this work and in the history of Han-
over. There is some significance in the
name Penn being applied to this township,
as its territory was claimed by both Lord
Baltimore and the heirs of William Penn,
until the important question was finally set-
tled by the King of England in council, which
gave rise to the running of the Mason and
Dixon's line, deciding it to be within the
boundaries of the Penn grant.

The township was formed by a division of
Heidelbej-g, by action of the court in the
year 1880. The viewers were George W.
Hoff acker, Jeremiah Brodbeck and Jesse K.
W^entz. The survey was made by Jesse D.
Keller.

Penn is very densely populated, and con-
tains some of the most fertile and most valua-
ble land in York County. Though not large
in area, its population in 1880 was 1,962.
which has been considerably increased since.
In 1884, the number of taxables was 682, and
real estate valuation §1,050,586. A consid-
erable portion of the town of Hanover,
the villages of Pennville, New Baltimore and
Blooming Grove are within its boundaries.
Iron ore has been obtained in this township
south of Hanover.

Amos Rohrbach, a prosperous farmer and
the largest man in York County, is a promi-
nent citizen of this township. His height is
six feet four inches, his weight 428 pounds,
and is about sixty years old.

Dense forests of hickory, oak and chestnut
existed around Hanover when this region was



THE EVANGELICAL CHUECH.

The Evangelical Church at Blooming Grove
was built in 1882, at a cost of $800. The
dedicatory services were conducted by
Rev. G. H. Schley, of East Prospect, in No-
vember, 1882. The building committee con-
sisted of the pastor of the congregation.
Rev. P. F. Jarrett, E. R. Kessler and F. S.
Stover. This congregation has about 40
members. The Sunday-school at this place is
prosperous. It has been in existence for a num-
ber of years, and kept up as a Union school;
at present it is under the efficient manage-
ment of M. Gephart, who is widely known ia
the vicinity of Hanover as an excellent Sunday-
school worker. The membership is seventy-
five pupils and teachers. Wildasin's Meet-
ing House was built about 1840, as a place of
worship for Reformed Lutherans and Ger-
man Baptists. Since Dub's Church has been
built it is used only by the last named denom-
ination.

PUBLIC SCHOOLS.

The names of the public schools in Penn
are as follows: Bunker Hill, Blooming Grove,
Pennville, Mount Olivet, New Baltimore,
Krentler's and Nos. 1 & 2 on Abbottstown
Street, Hanover. The members of the board of
directors for the year 1885 are Frank S. Zinn,
president; Eli Becker, secretary; Noah
Grimm, treasurer; George Bowman, Daniel
Mummert, and John Bletner.



THE TOWNSHIP OF WEST MANHEIM.

THIS township was formed by a division of
Manheim in 1858. It is situated in the
extreme southwestern part of the township,
bordering on the State of Maryland to the
south, Adams County to the west, Penn Town-
ship to the north, and Manheim to the east.
Most of the land in it is quite fertile, though
for a century, a large section of the township
was known as "the Barrens." Improved
methods of agriculture, and a careful use of



WEST MANHEIM TOWNSHIP.



697



fertilizers, has greatly increased the value of
the land and made it more productive, so
that it now yields as abundant crops as the
limestone land north of it. Iron ore has
been taken out at a few places. The history
of Mary Ann Furnace, an early industry of
this township, will be found in an article in
this book on "Early Iron Industries," page
484.

The Hanover & Maryland Line Turnpike
diagonally crosses West Manheim and divides
it into two equal jjarts. This road follows a
height of land which separates the head
waters of the Codorus from the head waters of
the south branch of Conewago. The town-
ship is therefore drained by both these streams.

The popolation in 1880 was 1,194; value
of real estate in 1884 was $415,686. There
are no villages in this township and no post-
offices.

THE CHURCHES.

Lutheran and Reformed Church. — In the
extreme southern part of West Manheim, near
Mason and Dixon's line, is the historic site of
St. David's Church, though better known by
its local name "Sherman's Church." Since the
time of its origin in 1750, it has been known
by its ecclesiastical name, and has been a
Tnion Church and generally ministered to by
clergymen who resided in Hanover.

Kev. J. A. Metzgar kindly furnished the
following concerning the Lutheran congre-
gation and church building, most of which
was obtained from documents in German.

In the latter part of 1750, or early in
1751, a meeting of the Lutherans of this
community was called, having for its object
the organization of an Evangelical Lutheran
congregation. Their efforts at organizing
were altogether successful. The Rev. John
George Eager (Baugher ) who was a pioneer
of Lutheranism in this section of the county,
and who was at this time pastor of the
Lutheran congregation at Hanover, organ-
ized the Lutheran congregation here. The
ground upon which the tirst building was
erected was donated by David Lauer and
Peter Zapp. The first church was quite
small, rude in construction and in every way
harmonized with its primitive surroundings.
Services are reported as having been regu-
larly held in this building until 1781, when a
larger house of worship was erected. In this
building the congregation worshiped a
number of years without stoves or tire, and
it was as late as 1832, when the interior of
this church was plastered.

No careful record of communicants was
kept, even the number at organization cannot



be ascertained. The number of communi-
cants for 1783 was 149.

The introduction of night services in Ger-
man country churches always formed an im-
portant epoch in their history. St. David's
congregation first permitted services by "can-
dle light" under the pastorate of Rev. Fred-
erick Ruthrauf in 1843.

In 1867 the third church was erected on
the original site, during the pastorate of Rev.
Samuel Yingling. The building committee
of the second church were George MotteT,
Philip Wolfard, Conrad Sherman and John
Wampler. The committee to whom was en-
trusted the third and present church build-
ing, were John W. Hoifacker, Henry W.
Craumer and David Garrett.

The following is the list of Lutheran pas-
tors from its organization to the present:
Revs. Carl Frederick Wildbahn, 1751^52;
John George Eager (Baugher), 1753; John
Daniel Schroeder, 1790; John Frederick Mels-
heimer, 1790-1814; John Melsheimer, 1814-
29.

To this date this congregation was served
by ministers from Hanover, Penn., but now
began to receive its supply from Manchester.
Md. Revs. Jacob Albert, 1829-39; Jeremiah
Harpel, 1839-42; P. WiUard, 1842-43; Fred-
erick Ruthrauft", 1843-45; Eli Schwartz,
1845-48; Jacob Kempfer, 1848-53; D. P.
Rosenmiller, 1853-57; M. J. Alleman, 1857-
63; P. Warner, 1863-65; M. J. Alleman,
1865-68; S. Yingling, 1868-72; D. J. Hauer,
1873-82; J. A. Metzgar, 1882.

The Reformed congregation for a long time
was served by the pastors of Emanuel's Re-
formed Church of Hanover. Among those of
later date were Revs. Kurtz, Samuel Gutelius,
J. D. Zehring, W. K. Zieber and Jacob Sech-
ler. The Reformed congregation at present
numbers 150 members. Rev. H. Hilbish, pas-
tor of Trinity Church, Hanover, also serves
this congregation.

A Union Sunday-school is held in this
church. William Klinedinst is superinten-
dent. O. W. Garrett served in this position
before him.

St. Bartholomew's Church.— This is a
Union Church owned conjointly by Lutheran
and Reformed congregations, and is located
in the southwestern part of West Manheim,
near the Maryland line. The first building
which was erected about half a century ago,
was constructed of logs and weather- boarded.
It burned down in 1879,~ having cai^ght fire
from an adjoining mill which was in flames
and was also burned at the same time. The
early church records were thus destroyed.
The Lutheran pastors whose names can be



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY.



recalled were Peter Sheurer, J. Lane, M. J.
Alleman and D. J. Hauer, D. D. Kev. J.
A. Metgar at present serves the congregation
of 125 members.

Some of the Keformed pastors were J.
Kurtz, Samuel Gutelius, Jacob Sechler, and
W. K. Zieber, D. D. The Keformed con-
gregation now numbers seventy-five, and is
served by Rev. H. Hilbish. A Union Sunday-
school is superintended by John W. Craumer.
The present church was built in 1881, at a
cost of $3,000.

Mount Zion United Brethren Church. —
Kev. Samuel Enterline first preached the
doctrines of the church of the United Breth-
ren in Christ in the present limits of West
Manheim Township, and on the 29th of Jan-
uary, 1847. effected an organization. For
many years revival services and other relig-
ious worship were conducted in the private
house of John Wentz. During the year
1861 a building committee was apjiointed,
consisting of John Wentz, Philip Wentz,
and Benjamin Wentz, and during the summer
of the same year the present church was
built at a cost of $1,000. Since the organ-
ization the following-named ministers have
had charge of this congregation, in connec-
tion with others belonging to the same cir-
cuit: Samuel Enterline, W. B. Kaber, T.
T. Hallowell, F. Grim, Jacob S. Wentz,
Tobias Crider, Peter Gorl, J. G. Clair, W.
H. Craumer, J. B. Jones, Abraham Rudisill,
Lewis Kohr, L. K. Kramer and J. L. Nich-
olas. Present church membership thirty-
live.

PUBLIC SCHOOLS.

There are at present five schools in West
Manheim as follows: Myer's, Hoffacker's,
Nace's, Mathias' and Centre. The buildings
are all brick, and nearly new. The members
of the school board for the past year were:
E. C. Hofl'aoker, president; John W. Craumer,
secretary; Jacob L. Werner, Eli Hauck, John
Utz and Adam Barnhard.



CODOKUS AND NORTH CODORUS
TOWNSHIPS.

THE word Codorus is of Indian origin, but
its signification is unknown. All at-
tempts to give its meaning are purely conject-
ural. There seems to have been a small tribe
of the Susquehannock Indians, who bore that
name, yet there are no authentic records to es-



tablish it as a fact. In the earliest official rec-
ords, and in the writings of missionaries and
adventurers who first visited what is now
York County, the names "Coddorus," "Codo-
res" and "Kothores," etc., are used to desig-
nate the winding stream, which drains a
large part of York County, now bearing the
beautiful name of Codorus. The township
which was given the same name, was organ-
ized under the authority of the Lancaster
Court in IT-tT, two years before the erection
of York County. Some of the land in the
southern part of the township, was taken up
about 1732, under Maryland titles, before
the temporary line between Pennsylvania
and Maryland was run. A year or two later a
number of Germans began to take possession
of the fertile spots in the northern part of
the township, and what is now North Codo-
rus. There was a colony of German Baptists
(Dunkers), who located in this section before
1750. (See page 383 in this book.) George
Lightner, in 1749, was the first township
constable; Casper Cooper succeeded him in
1751; Peter Brillhard, in 1752, and Peter
Bingley, in 1765.

The present township of Codorus is
bounded on the north by North Codorus,
on the east by Shrewsbury and Springfield,
on the south by the State of Maryland aud
on the west by Manheim. It is drained by
different branches of the Codorus Creek.
The Hanover & Baltimore Railroad extends
along its western boundary; the Hanover
Branch Railroad along a portion of the
northern boundary and the Northern Central
Railway along a portion of the eastern
boundary. Most of the land is in an excel-
lent state of cultivation and yields abundant
cereal crops. Its population in 1880 was
2.261; valuation of real estate in 1884 was
$697,605, and number of taxables 630.

North Codorus was formed out of Codo-
rus in 1840. It is bounded on the north by
Jackson and West Manchester, on the east
by York and Springfield, on the south by
Codorus and on the west by Heidelberg. A
portion of the township is composed of
chestnut timber land. The farming land is
fertile. The population, in 1880, was 2,550;
valuation of real estate for 1884, wasSl,099,-
696, and number of taxables 726. The
Hanover Branch Railway traverses the south-
ern part of the township and the Northern
Central the eastern.

OLD EOABS.

In 1758 a road was run from Daniel
Diehl's mill in Codorus to Nelson's (now
McCall's) Ferry. The following petition is



CODORUS AND NORTH CODORUS TOWNSHIPS.



signed by some of the first settlers of the
township:

To THE Worshipful His Majesty's Justices op
THE Peace for the County op York met at
York the last Tuesday of July, 1760.

The Petition of the Inhabitants of Codorus
Township and parts adjacent humbly Sheweth

That a great Road is much wanted from York
Town towards Baltimore Town as far as the Tem-
porary line. That a Road has been laid out part of
the way but not finished.

Your petitioners humbly pray that proper Per-
sons may be appointed to review the ground and lay
out a Road from George Myer's Plantation by the
Widow Links to the Temporary Line (see page 75
in this book) where Tobias Amspoker junr. lately
dwelt, there being now a good Road in the Maryland
Side of the Line from said Amspoker's late dwelling
Plantation to Baltimore Town aforesaid.

And your Petioners will pray.



Michel Myer.
Philip Zeigler..
Michel Ham.
Michel Beissel.
Jacob Hover.
Ludwig Rieser.
Ludwie; Huber.
Jacob feoeller.
Johannes Weller.
George Keller.
Ulrich Huber.
Daniel Cramer.



Michel Miller.
Michel Wunord.
Nicholas Vogel.
George Meyer.
Peter Wolf.
Nicholas Schrom.
Nicholas Koehig.
Jacob Ob (Upp).
David Hamsspackcr.
Jacob Hoak.
Casper Kinsser.
Daniel Diehl.



LIST OF TAXABLES IN 1783.

In the county assessment and census report
of 1783, Codorus Township was then reported
to have 199 dwelling-houses, 189 barns, 9
mills, 6 negro slaves, a population of 1,304,
and 27,975 acres of land not vacant. The
population at that date was quite dense. The
township furnished two companies of soldiers
for the Revolution.

The following is a complete list of taxa-
bles of Codorus for 1788:



Andrew Miller,

Gtcorge Neiman,

Henry Newcomer,

Jacob Noll,

Peter Ollinger,

John Ott,

John Ortman,

Mathias Pope,

George Emich,

Frederick Eichelberger,

Frederick Feaser,
I Jacob Fulkner,

Adam Foltz,

Henry Pishel,
1 Peter Gerberich,
j Philip Gentzler,

Samuel Glassick,

Franz Ganz,

Martin Getz,

David Grier,

Felix Glatfelter,

Michael Glatfelter,

Jacob Henry,

Michael Hossler,

Joseph ]

Christian '.

George Hoober,

Peter Henich,

Nicholas Henry,

Ulrich Huber,

John Hamme,

Daniel Hamme,

Jacob Half ner,

Adam Hoffman,

Philip Hileman,

John Hileman,

Peter Hershey,

Andrew HofE,

Francis Hoff,

Bastian Helman,

Peter Houser,

John Houser,

John Hoke,

Daniel Jonas,

Jacob Hirsh,

Ludwig Krops,

George Keller,

John Krull,

Peter Kuntz,



George Amspoker,
Valentine Alt,
John Bauman,
Jacob Bailey,
George Bortner,
Benjamin Brouman,
William Brouman,
Henry Baker,
John Boyer,
William Becker,
John Brodbeck,
Jacob Bear,
Michael Bealer,
Jacob Bealer,
William Baker,
Abraham Bollinger,
Jacob Bealer, Sr.,
Peter Brillhard,
Jacob Bechtel,
Michael Beltz,
George Dehl,
Charles Dehl,
Nicholas DehoS,
Henry DehofE,
George Dehofl,
John Decker.
Adam Denlinger,
John Everholt,



Michael Ehrman,
Mendel Everhold,
Philip Emich,
Jacob Epply,
George Keller,
John Kilcannon,
David Klinedinst,
Godfrey Klinedinst,
Adam Kuntz,
Henry Kessler,
Michael Kessler.
Philip Lau,
Antony Lehman,
Michael Lau,
Peter Lau,
George Lau,
Andrew Lau,
James Ligget,
Rev. Jacob Lischy,
Henry Michael,
James Moore,
Peter Miller,
George Mack,
John Mourer,
Jacob Matz,
Frederick Myer,
John Myer,
George "Miller,



Jacob Bear,
Daniel Bear,
Daniel Cramer,
John Gantz,
Nicholas Ripold,
Mathias Ripold,
Michael Shultz,
Nicholas Ziegler,
Peter Ziegler,
John Bowman,
Jacob Henry,
Jacob Markle,
George Bortner,
George Krebs,
Jacob Keller,
George Miller,



Jacob Krise,
Daniel Hyser,
Jacob Keller,
Henry Kuhn,
Jocob Fleischer,
Stephen Peter,
Michael Peter,
Richard Peters,
Daniel Renold,
Lorenz Rohrbach,
Christian Rohrbach,
George Ripold,
AVilliam Ruhl,
George Reily,
Michael Rose,
John Ruhl,
Andrew Ripold,
Adam Ripold,
Ludwig Riegle,
Jacob Rudisill,
John River,
Daniel Renold,
Yost Runk,
Martin Sheurer,
Jacob Sarbach,
George Schlesman,
Peter Stuck,
Peter Sprenkle,
Jacob Schalfer,
Simon Shadier,
Christopher Shindle,
Michael Speisert,
John Wagner,
William White,
John Wood,
Richard Weston,
Henry Wilhelm,
George Wehrly,
Michael Wehrly,
Henry Wehrly,
John Werner,
Daniel Wertz,
Sebastian Witman,
John Walter,
George Walter,
Nicholas Ziegler,
Jacob Ziegler,
Barnet Ziegler.



SINGLE MEN.



John Bealer,
Christian Hailner,
Daniel Hamn,
Adam Miller,
Michael Miller,
Henry Fishel,
Frederick Wilhelm,
Michael Heilman,
John Rohrbaugh,
Christian Billhardt,
Heltich Cramer,
Adam Boll,
Peter Peterman,
David Kleindinst,
Christian Kleindinst,
Baltzer Spangler,



St. Peter'' s Church, one and a half miles
southwest of Spring Grove, in North Codo-
rus, is better known as~"Lisehy's Church."
It was named after Rev. Jacob Lischy, who
first preached in the vicinity, in 1760, and
soon afterward organized an independent
congregation. He had previously been the



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY.



first pastor of the Eeformed Church at York
(see page 406). His son, Jacob Lischy,
taught a parochial school in the church in
ISIO and later. After the death of Rev.
Lischy an orthodox Reformed congregation
was organized, which was served by ministers
of the Hanover charge. Revs. Albert Helfen-
stein, S. Giilelius, Jacob Sechler, W. K.
Zieber, D. D. and Henry Hilbish were some
of the Reformed clergymen. The present
Eeformed congregation of 2r)0 memljers is
served by Rev. J. H. Hartmann, of Hanover.
There is a Sunday-school of seventy-five
pupils.

The Lutheran congregation, which now
worships in this church, was organized in
1833, by Rev. A. G. Deininger. Peter Men-
ges was the first elder. At this time a log
building was still standing. The present
brick church was built in 1843. The building
committee were Peter Menges, George Hoke
and John Lenhart. Rev. John H. Menges,
of Grace Church, Philadelphia, was con-
firmed and admitted to membership in this
congregation. The pastors in order were



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 142 of 218)