John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 143 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 143 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Revs. Deininger, Jacob Albert, William
Reiley, Charles Witmer, Leonard Gearhart
and Daniel J. Hauer, D. D. The member-
ship, under the present pastor, Rev. Dr.
Hauer, has been doubled.

Steltze's Church, in Codorus, is a Union
Lutheran and Eeformed Church. It was
erected in 1794, and was called "Bethle-
hem Church." The place was formerly
known as "Steltz's Deer Park." It has
always been a part of Shrewsbury
charge on the Reformed side. Those who
signed the agreement when the church
was first built were PhilijJ Steltz, Chris-
topher Ring, Jacob Ziegler. Jacob Long,
Andrew Korg, George Ruhl, John Sauer,
William Rogers, Philip Steltz, Jr., Hen-
ry Kaufman, Henry Henning and Peter
Henning. Reformed ministers who have
served the charge, as can be gathered from
an imperfect record, were Adam Ettinger,
who served in 1803; Rev. Y. Henry Fries,
who took charge in 1810; Rev. F. Scholl,
who became pastor in 1817; Rev. Henry N.
B. Habliston, in 1819: John August Foersch,
in 1833; Rev. F. Bucher. in 1836, who was
soun followed by Rev. John Rienecke, who
served the congregation for twenty years,
and was assisted in his later years by his
son. Rev. C. W. Rienecke. D. D., and who
served a few years after the death of his
father. Dm'ing the same time Rev. Vander-
sloot served a few of the congregations on
the charge of which this was a part. Rev.
Daniel Gring then took charge of the con-



gregation, serving it faithfully till 1880,
when Rev. A. F. Driesbaugh, the present
pastor, assumed charge, and is doing excel
lent work. The congregation numbers 150
members. The Lutheran congregation is at
present served by Rev. Mr. Ketterman.

St. JacoVs Church, better known as the
"Stone Church," is located near the center
of Codorus, and is owned by the Reformed
and Lutheran denominations. An organiza-
tion was effected nearly a century ago. The
early pastors were the same ones who preached
at Jefferson. The Reformed congregation
of 800 members is now served by Rev. F. A.
Guth, who resides at Jefferson, and the
Lutheran congregation by Rev. Mr. Ketter-
man, of Glenville.

Zioyi Church, known as "Sheffer's," is in
Codorus. Rev. F. A. Gath is the Eeformed
pastor. Membership, seventy communicants.

Zieglefs Church. — St. Paul's Lutheran
and Reformed Church, known as "Ziegler's
Church," is in North Codorus, bet een
Stoverstown and Seven Valley. As nearly
as can be determined it was organized about
1800, the Lutheran congregation by Rev.
F. V. Melsheimer, of Hanover, the renowned
entomologist. He was succeeded by Revs.
Rudisill, Jacob Albert. Rev. A. G. Deininger,
who served from 1828 to 1846; Eev. C. J.
Deininger, from 1846 to 1850; L. Gearhart,
to 1853, when Eev. C. J. Deininger was re-
called and served to 1866. Eev. John Con-
oway is the present pastor.

New Salem Church. — The Lutheran and
Eeformed Church, in New Salem Borough,
was built in 1861, and a congregation organ-
ized the same year by Eev. C. J. Deininger,
who resigned in 1866, and was succeeded by
Eev. John H. Menges, and he by the present
pastor, Eev. John Conoway, of York.

Stoverstoicii Church. — The Lutheran and
Eeformed Church, at Stoverstown, in North
Codorus, was built in 1880. Congregations
were formed the same year by Rev. C. J.
Deininger, Lutheran, and Rev. Ehinehart
Smith, Eeformed. The last named gentle-
man still ministers to his congregation.
Eev. Daniel J. Hauer, D. D., of Hanover,
succeeded Eev. Deininger as pastor of the
Lutheran congregation.

PUBLIC SCHOOLS.

There are twelve schools in Codorus, the
names of which are as follows: Keeney's,
Sterner' s, Sheffer's, Brodbeck's, Seitzville,
Eohrbaugh's, Bortner's, Fair's, Stick's,
Bressler's, Baltzley's, Sauble's.

The names of the schools of North Codo-
rus are Prospect Hill, Berkheimer's, Leese's



CODORUS AND NORTH CODORUS TOWNSHIPS.



701



Sheffer's, Seven Valley, Sfcoverstown, Een-
noU's, Heindel's, Glatfelter's, Bear's and
Boyer's,

THE BOROUGH OF JEFFERSON.
In the year 1812, Frederick Kraft, a far-
mer, hotel keeper and store keeper, who
owned a considerable tract of land in this
township, conceived the idea of laying off a
portion of it in lots. He engaged John L.
Hinkle, of Hanover, afterwards associate
judge of York County, to make a survey and
a draft or plan of ninety-four lots. Judge
Hinkle, who was a prominent local politician,
and a great admirer of the " Sage of Monti -
cello," induced the founder to call his town
Jefferson, in honor of the distinguished
statesman who three years before had ended
his second term as President of the United
States. The Kraft store and hotel had been
in existence many years before the town was
platted. The house he occupied is still
standing on the west side of Berlin Street,
and is owned by Jacob Rennoll. Kraft soon
after built a house on the opposite side of
the street, in which he moved his hotel and I
store. Jacob Piiieger, an industrious black-
smith, was Kraft's first neighbor, and built
the second house, on the site where Amos
Markel's house now stands. Amos Shearer
next built a log house, of a convenient size,
and began a store. Jacob W. Wentz, for
many years engaged in the store business in
the same room after him, and during that
time was elected recorder of deeds of York
County. Michael Miller, in 1815, built the ,
first brick house in the town, on the north-
west angle of the square. It was a substan-
tial building, and was used by him for about
twenty years as a tavern. It is still standing,
and used by G. F. Shive as a store and
dwelling house. The bricks were burned
from native clay, obtained near the site of
the railroad station. John Bair, during the
early history of the village was a gunsmith.
In 1815, John Dubbs began the tanning
business, and in 1825 sold out to Henry Ee-
bert, who at the age of seventy-eight is still
engaged in the same business. His brother,
William, has been associated with him.

Jenkins Carrothers was the name of an in-
dustrious and somewhat eccentric son of
Erin, who early in life emigrated from the
"Emerald Isle" to America, and about 1816
located in Jefferson, coming from York. He
soon acquired a limited knowledge of the
German dialect, as it was very essential to
inhabitants of this locality thea, as well as ',
now. He purchased the lot on the north-
west angle of the Public Square. On this 1



spot he built a log house, and began to ply
his trade of a hatter. The old people now
living remember him as a jolly, good natured
personage, who assisted greatly to enliven
the new town. With the crude machinery,
characteristic of the day he pursued his
calling. He made hats of fur, of wool and
of straw, and regularly made trips to Balti-
more and York to dispose of his merchandise,
selling some, of course, to his friends and
neighbors. The comical side of this Irish-
man's nature was shown on one occasion, in
the autumn of 1828, during the political cam-
paign preceding Andrew Jackson's first elec-
tion as President of the United States. Car-
rothers had agreed with Henry Meyer to
accompany hini to a grove, a distance from
the village, and obtain a tall hickory pole,
which was to be planted in the square, with
the American flag floating at its top, in honor
of " Old Hickory." On the return from the
woods, Carrothers proposed to sit astride the
middle of the log, as they came into town,
and interest the numerous spectators by
cheering for the "hero of New Orleans."
Meyer sat on his led horse and drove rap-
idly. Carrothers could not maintain his
equilibrium, and much to his chagrin, he
tumbled to the ground, greatly to the amuse-
ment of the jovial villagers and many others,
who had gathered to witness the interesting
ceremonies. It was more than this quick-
witted and hasty-tempered Irishman could
endure. The jeers of his comrades exasper-
ated him. He jumped to his feet, re-
nounced his allegiance to the Democratic
party, and then and there declared he would
vote for Henry Clay for president. He then
became the original Whig of Codorus Town-
ship, and for many years was the only per-
son in the district who voted that ticket. So
ardent a devotee of his party he became, that
on the occasion of a subsequent presidential
election, being sick himself, he sent his wife
to the polls, three and a half miles away,
with the request that the election officers
should accept the vote in his name. This
was refused. He then hired a man to take
him to the polls, while lying in bed in an
open wagon, so determined was he to cast
his ballot. After the campaign of 1840 he
returned to his home from a trip to York,
with the news of Gen. Harrison's election as
president of the United States. He took a
position in the center of the square, an-
nounced to the people the result of the elec-
tion of the first Whig president, and then
gave three enthusiastic cheers for "Old Tip
pecanoe and Tyler too." Soon after the
inauguration he applied for the position of



703



HISTOEY OF YORK COUNTY.



postmaster of his village, and secured it.
The house in which he lived is still in ex-
istence, though in a dilapidated condition.
The old people of the village have yet the
tenderest recollection of Jenkins Carrothers,
who died February 13, 1845, aged fifty
years.

OLD TIME FAIRS.

The fairs, as they were termed, which were
held in Jefferson, were lively and interesting
occasions to the surrounding populace for
many miles distant. Tables, on which were
offered for sale candies, cakes, jewelry and
many other articles, including strong drinks,
lined the streets for two days of each year,
during the early summer. Hundreds of
people visited the village, and it was a season
of great hilarity. Michael Miller's hotel was
a great center of attraction. All its apart-
ments were crowded. To the lively tunes of
the inspirited fiddlers, the joyful lads and
lasses, clad in linsey-woolsey and home-made
flannel, joined in the merry dance all day long
and a large portion of the night. That every
lad should "treat" his lassie, was absolutely
necessary in order to keep her affections,
and she demanded the privilege of stepping
up to the venders' tables and selecting what
suited her best. These fairs were kept up for
a number of years, but were of no value,
except for the amusement afforded. One
time some of the visitors became too boister-
ous and they were then discontinued.

INCOKPOEATION.

The town was incorporated December 11,
1866. On New Year's day, 1867, the first
borough election was held in the public
schoolhouse, resulting as follows: Adam
Bupp, burgess; William Kebert, Joseph T.
Bare, Samuel Brillhart, Barney Spangler,
Zaehariah Shue, councilman. Benjamin Leese
was appointed secretary and served until his
death in 1881, when he was succeeded by W.
H. Brodbeck, the present incumbent. The
streets were carefully graded and pavements
laid in 1874. The town authorities for the
year 1885 are as follows: Bm-gess, Amos,
Thoman; councilmen, John F. Miller, Peter
B. Eohrbaugh, Franklin Garber, Bradley C.
Spangler, George Snyder and John Sheaffer.
The town now has a population of 350, con-
tains a number of large and handsome resi-
dences, 'well paved streets, three tine churches
and surrounded by a rich and productive
farming country. The people are very hos-
pitable — pure representatives of the honest
Pennsylvania Germans. Sixteen years ago
there was but one family in the village that
used English in the home. All the young



can now speak it, and the German language
is fast disappearing.

CHURCHES OF JEFFERSON.

The Union Church. — Eev. Emanuel Keller,
a Lutheran clergyman, December 26, 1825,
preached the first sermon within the village
of Jefferson. Soon after this a Lutheran
congregation was organized. In 1827 Rev.
Samuel Gutelius, of Hanover, organized a
Reformed congregation, of which Christian
Renoll was elder, and Christian Renoll, Jr.,
deacon. The services of both denominations
were held in the schoolhouse until 1830,
when a Union Church was built, whose
dimensions were 40x50 feet and contained a
gallery along one end and two sides. This
building was used only until 1883, when the
two denominations built separate churches.
The Lutheran congregation erected a beau-
tiful brick church near the square; Rev. W.
H. Ketterman is the present minister. The
membership is quite lai-ge. A Sunday-school
was organized in the Union Church in 1860.
The successive superintendents have been
George Kraft, Joseph Bare, Henry S. Hershey,
Jesse Kraft, John Brillhart and Amos Rebert.

Christ's Reformed Church. — This church
was built in 1883, at a cost of $3,300. The
church membership is 200 communicants.
The pastors of the Reformed denomination
who preached in the Union Church were Rev.
Samuel Gutelius, who organized the congrega-
tion and remained a long time ; Rev. Jacob Geig-
er, William F. Vandersloot, Samuel Gutelius (a
second time) Joel S. Reber, Henry Bentz,
Jacob Sechler, J. C. Julius Kurtz and Rev.
J. D. Zehring. The last-named gentleman
served the congregation sixteen years, and,
on account of paralysis, was compelled to
resign. Rev. Zehring is now (1885) living,
a highly respected citizen of the village. In
the new church. Rev. Silas F. Laury served
for a short time, and was succeeded by Rev.
Franklin A. Guth, of Lehigh County, a grad-
uate of Ursinus College. There is a Sunday-
school in the church, of which the pastor is
superintendent. Rev. J. D. Zehring, acting
superintendent and G. S. Brodbeck assistant
superintendent. Rev. Samuel Gutelius, the
founder of the congregation died in Dauphin
County in 1866, aged seventy years.

The Church of the United Brethren in
Christ.' — Religious services were first con-
ducted under the auspices of this denomina-
tion by Rev. Samuel Enterline, in the dwell-
ing houses of members in 1847, which re-
sulted in a church organization. A lot was
purchased on the east side of Baltimore Street,
and the present church building erected of



CODORUS AND NORTH CODORUS TOWNSHIPS.



wood, at a cost of $L,400. John Garman,
Jacob Thoman and Peter Zeoh, composed the
building committee. The following-named
clergymen have ministered to the wants of
the congregation since its organization: Revs.
Enterline, Snyder, Raber, Wagner, Coombs,
Grim, Kreider, Jones, Carl, Craumer Brick-
ley, Rudisill, JoQes and J. L. Nicholas. The
services for a number of years were con-
ducted almost entirely in the German lan-
guage. English is much used now. The con-
gregation numbers sixty-five members. The
trustees are Barnhart Spangler, Ezra Myers,
Jacob Shearer, John Shearer and Samuel
Sterner.

BOROUGH SCHOOLS )

The first school building stood near the I
east end of York Street, and was erected
about 1813. It is still in existence and now
used by Elias Swartzbach as a pottery. A i
second schoolhouse was built in 1853, and
the present one on the same site in 1871 at
a cost of §1,200. It contains two rooms and j
the schools are graded. The teachers since |
1861 are as follows: W. H. Manifold, J. C.
Ebauo:h, J. C. Blair, Maggie McKinly, J.
D. Zehring, Jr., W. B. Schweitzer, W. H.
Brodbeck, E. G. Williams, J. B. Douglass,
D. B. Landis, J. E. McElvaine, D. E.
Ebaugh, F. L. Spangler, P. N. Strasbaugh,
Maggie King, H. M. Heilman, E. O. Snod-
grass and Mary F. Fink. W. H. Brodbeck
has taught the secondary school eight years.



HISTOKICAl

The exact time the postoffice was estab-
lished at Jefferson (Codorus PostofHce) is not
now known. Martin Shearer was postmaster
from 1830 to 1840, when upon the accession
of Gen. Harrison to the presidency, Jen-
kins Carrothers, the original Whig of Co-
dorus, succeeded him. The other postmas-
tei-s in order have been as follows: George
Snodgrass, Jacob Spangler, Albert Kraft,
Dr. William F. Bringman and George S.
Brodbeck.

Dr. Hornbaugh came to the village early
in its history and was succeeded by Drs.
Lehrves, Utz, Conner, William F. Bringman,
H. S. Jones, J. E. Brodbeck and Edward
Sterner.

The justices of the peace in order have
been Daniel Ault, Benjamin Leese, Amos H.
Spangler and W. H. Brodbeck, who is also a
practical surveyor.

For incidents of the Confederate invasion
in 1863, see page 217 in this work.

JEFFERSON STATION.

In 1866 Robert, Auchy & Co., began the



manufacture of thrashing machines, corn
shellers, plows, etc., at Jefferson Station, one-
half mile north of the village. Various
kinds of castings were also made in the foun-
dry. The entire works were destroyed by
fire in 1879. Mr. Auchy rebuilt the shopa
and now continues the business individually.
At this point is now a collection of ten or
twelve houses.



VILLAGES.

New Salem Borough, in the eastern part of
North Codorus is a pleasant village of about
sixty houses. It was recently incorporated.
The postoflSce name is York New Salem.
Swartz & Kailbaugh and Jonas Joseph are
engaged in the mercantile business. John S.
Kline and Emanuel Smith are the hotel
keepers. Dr. Kehm practices medicine.

Stoverstown, in North Codorus, now a vil-
lage of thirty houses, was named after Ga-
briel Stover, a justice of the peace who some
years ago moved to Maryland, E. B. Glat-
felter conducts a store here.

Glenville is a post village on the Hanover
& Baltimore Railroad in Codorus. It has
lately grown to be quite a center of trade.
J. A. Klinefelter conducts a general business
at this place. Dr. Keller practices medi-
cine in the vicinity. Sticks' tavern is one
of the landmarks of Codorus; for more than
half a century there was a postoffice at this
place known as Hetricks, which has lately
been moved to Glenville. Dr. W. C. Stick
resides here. Brodbeck' s store, now owned
by Samuel Brodbeck is a very old business
stand, H. H. Myers conducts a store in
North Codorus at Cold Spring, and \V, T.
Crist in the west end of the township.

The large building at Hanover Junction
was built by the Hanover Branch Railroad
Company. It was used as a hotel until 1877.
Some of the proprietors of it were John Scott,
Hamilton Glessner and Jesse Engles. There
is a coal shute and water tank on the North
Codorus Railway, a short distance south of
the Junction. A thirty horse-power engine
is used to force water from the Codorus to
the cars. A squad of Confederates under
Col. White burned the covered railroad
bridges, a few cars, and set fire to the turn-
table, in June 1863, during the invasion.
H. I. Glatfelter is the postmaster of this
place.

IRON ORE INTERESTS.

Vast quantities of iron ore have been ob-
tained in North Codorus; among the leading
mines are the following: The Codorus, or
Strickhouser's Mine is one of the most wide-
ly known in York County. It was originally



704



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY.



opened in 1854 by John Musselman, and for [
a long time worked by the York Iron Com- '
pany. The ore is a hard compact slate with
micaceous and magnetic ore. The ore was
mined from an open cut. It contained near-
ly forty per cent of metallic iron. The
Thomas Iron Company of Hockendauqua,
Schuylkill Co., Penn., for the past twenty '
years, has taken out many thousands of tons 1
in this township, and has operated several
banks. On Geiselman's farm, near Seven
Yalley, the ore produced fifty-two per cent
metallic iron. The Codorus Mining Com-
pany has operated a number of banks. There
are vast treasures of valuable ore in this
township yet undeveloped.



SHREWSBURY TOWNSHIP.*

SHREWSBURY is one of the southern tiers
of townships in York County. It was
among the first townships laid o£f west of the
Susquehanna, and was formed imder the act
of the general assembly, dated November,
1739. It originally embraced the entire area,
now covered by Shrewsbury, Springfield and
Hopewell. Hopewell was formed in 1767,
and Springfield, in 1835. The township is
bounded on the south by Maryland, on the
east by Hopewell, on the north by Spring-
field and on the west by Codorus Townships.
The land is somewhat hilly, and yet there is
but little that cannot be cultivated. It is
generally well watered, numerous small
streams flowing through it while the east
branch of the Codorus rises in the southern
portion and flows in a northerly direction
through the entire township. The soil is
generally good and well adapted to grain and
vegetable growing. Magnetic iron ore has
been found in considerable quantity in vari-
ous sections of the township. The Northern
Central Railroad passes through the town-
ship from the south to the north, as does the
Baltimore & York Turnpike, both of which
thoroughfares have aided greatly in the
development of the resources of the township.

The first settlers were mostly English,
and Scotch-Irish, and the land in the south-
ern end was taken up under Maryland titles.
When the township was laid off, the citizens
were mainly English, hence its English
name, "Shrewsbury."

The Germans began to locate in that por-
tion which now constitutes the township, in



1742, when many of the former English
settlers sold their land and left; consid-
erable feeling having been engendered
between tbe Pennsylvania and Maryland
border people, owing to the altercations
which took place before the final settlement,
through the agreement made with the pro-
prietaries in 1732 and the establishment of
Mason and Dixon's line in 1767. The
German element soon became predominant,
and those springing from that stock still
remain so, as is seen in the thrift, enterprise
and industry of the people; a peculiarity of
the Germans. The land is generally well
and thoroughly cultivated; the dwellings,
barns and other buildings being substantially
and conveniently built and kept in good
repair.

At the close of the Revolutionary war
Shrewsbury Township, including Springfield,
had a population of 976, 9 slaves, 189
houses, 152 barns, 7 mills, and covered an
area of 24,229 acres. In 1883, 100 years
later, with Springfield Township taken off
and exclusive of the boroughs, it had 633
taxable inhabitants; had a real estate valua-
tion of $729,702 and paid a county tax of
13,151, and a State tax of $219.

The following is a list of names taken from
the assessment roll and census report made
in 1783, by a special order of the county
commissioners, in order to lay a special tax
to defray the expenses of the Revolutionary
war. Shrewsbury Township then also in-
cluded the territory now covered by Spring-
field Township:

Beclitol, Christian, 100 acres £17.5

Bury, Abraham, 153 acres 2.50

Bopp, Barnet, 211 acres 155

Baumbgartner, Henry 100 acres 93

Brillhart, Jacob, 150 acres 182

Bauser, John, .50 aci-es 30

Baily, Jacob, 100 acres 133

Bossart, Jacob 39

Beck, Jacob, 80 acres 46

Bopp, Ludwig 203

Brillhart, Samuel 30

Bopp, Nicholas 34

Brillhart, Peter, 300 acres * 398

Baker. Peter, 100 acres 317

Bayer, Tobias, Jr., 153 acres 156

Bailv, Daniel, 100 acres 147

Brilhardt, John, 140 acres 153

Brundage, Joseph ' 45

Diehl, Adam 34

Diehl, Charles, 380 acres 273

Deveney, Daniel, 100 acres 4

Dittenhefer, George 30

Downs, Henry, 50 acres 53

Dagen, John, 135 acres 84

Dinky, John, 190 acres 204

Dias, Thomas, 20'acres 29

Dukan, .John 37

Ehrhardt, Thomas, 380 acres 333

Ehrhardt, Thomas, 178 acres 333

Eichelberger, Adam, 200 acres 215

Ehrman, George. 200 acres 335



SHKEWSBURY TOAVNSHIR


705


Eisenhart, George, 130 acres

Engel, Henry, 200 acres


... £117
152


Leib, Ulrich, 198 acres ,


£244




43




Lobridge, Joseph, 50 acres

Markle, George


43;


Ehrhart, Jacob, 196 acres


.... 167


18




.... 87


Miller, Andrew, 100 acres


81


Preeland, James, 52 acres


.... 54


Mver, Andrew, 200 acres


187


Foltz, George ,


.... 20


Myer, Christian, 117 acres


146


Faust, Ballhaser, 1 grist-mill, 1 saw-mill,


150


Markley, Christian, 70 acres


143




. ... 340


Miller, Frederick, 80 acres


98


Free, Conrad, 125 acres


. . . . 177


Myer, George, 150 acres


120




.... 63


Miller, Herman, 150 acres


176




75


Miller, John, 300 acres

Myer, John, 200 acres


166


Preeland, John, 50 acres


. . . . 62


337




... 81




118


Feigle, Martin

Fenus Frederick, 144 acres








.... 145


Myer, Michael

Miller.Martin, 300 acres


28


Fisher, John, 75 acres


93


239








18


Glatfelter, John, 240 acres


. ... 184


Marshal, James


182










Gable, John, 50 acres


. ... 119


Mahan, John. 160 acres


128




95


Miller, Tobias, 134 acres

Miller Henry 80 acres


173


Geisleman, George, 170 acres

Gilley, Francis


172


70



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 143 of 218)