John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 145 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 145 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Stecker, Rev. J. Kempfer, Rev. A. Berg, who
served the charge from 1843 to 1873, when
Rev. J. H. Menges assumed it and served to
1877, when Rev. E. H. Manges took charge
and served to 1881, when Rev. E. Miller, D.
D., the present pastor took charge of the
work.

The Reformed congregation was organized
m 1822, and from 1827 worshiped jointly
with the Lutheran congregation in a brick
church to 1874, when the Lutherans with-
drew and the Reformed alone occupied the
church. In 1S82 this building was torn down
and a new fire-brick building was erected on
Main Street, which was dedicated on May 13,
1883, by the present pastor, Rev. A. F.
Dreisbach, T. G. Apple. D. D., President of
Franklin and Marshall College, and J. S.
Stahr, D. D. Since the new church edifice
has been erected, and under the care of the
present pastor, the congregation has rapidly



increased and now numbers about 150 com-
municants. The congregation has a Sunday-
school which is rapidly growing in numbers
and influence. The following are the minis-
ters who served the congregation in the past:

A. Ettinger, Yost Heniy Fries, F. A. Scholl,
H. N. B. Habliston, J. August Forsch, John
Rienecke, C. W. Rienecke, D. D., J. Vander-
sloot, Daniel Gring, who served the charge
twenty-seven years, and who was followed by
the present efficient pastor, A. F. Driesback.

The Shrewsbury Savings Institution was
incorporated June 6, 1850, with a capital of
S50,000. Henry Latimer was chosen its fii-st
president, and Robert Richey its first cashier.
June 3, 1876, G. P. Everhart became the
president, and still serves as such. March
23, 1857. John Hoshour became the cashier
and was followed, on his death, November 26,
1870, by J. V. Geisey, who, resigning, was
followed, November 2, 1872, by A. G. Collins,
and he in turn was followed March 4, 1882,
by A. D. Collins, the present incumbent. It
has now a paid up cash capital of 115,000,
and a surplus of the same amount.

Mount Vernon Lodge No. 143, I. O. O. F.,
organized in February, 1846, and in 1852
and 1853, a hall was erected, which was
dedicated in 1854. The lodge has paid a
large amount for benefit to its members, and
has now a fund of $6,000. It has had a large
membership in the past and now has forty-
two members. A. Klinefelter served as O. G.
for twenty years, and William Benise as jan-
itor and I. G. for twenty-nine years. Since
the institution of the lodge there have oc-
curred thirty-eight deaths out of the member-
ship of the lodge.

Shrewsbury Lodge, No. 423, F. & A. M.,
was instituted March 4, 1868, with the fol-
lowing charter members: Rev. J. C. Hagy,

B. F. Koller, G. P. Everhart, Rev. A. Berg,
Dr. O. T. Everhart, Dr. James Gerry, Jr.,
and James K. Pattison. The lodge now
numbers about twenty-six members, and is in
a healthy financial condition.

Wannepewink Tribe, I. O. R. M., was or-
ganized September 10, 1868, and closed in
April, 1877.

A lodge of Good Templars was instituted
November 2, 1865, by Rev. J. S. Murry, and
continued in existence to 1876. It did good
service, extending its influence so that lodges
were organized in Glen Rock, New Free-
dom, Stewartstown and New Market. A Band
of Hope was also organized September 26,
1866, and continued in existence for some
years.

Shrewsbury Post, No. 342, G. A. R., was
mustered by Capt. W. H. Lanius, June 18,



SHREWSBURY TOWNSHIP.



ISSo, and has now about forty-three mem-
bers.

GLEN ROCK.

Glen Rock is a borough situated in Shrews-
bury Township, on the Northern Central
Eailroad, about sixteen miles south of York,
and about four miles northwest of Shrews-
bury Borough. It is a modern town and is
noted for its romantic scenery and its sub-
stantial and expensive buildings, and for the
enterprise and industry of its people. All
the buildings, except a saw-mill and a barn,
have been erected since 1837, for prior to that
time the land included in the borou.gh was
biit a poorly cultivated farm with no improve-
ments on it, and during a period of about forty
years previous it changed owners quite a num-
ber of times. Among these owners were
Philip Lowe, John Ehrrman and Simon
Koller, the latter gentleman having made
a few improvements in the jslace. Dur-
ing his time he built a saw-mill, barn and
brick dwelling house. The land in and
around the town is hilly, the vales being nar-
row and some of the hills quite steep, yet it
is productive and valuable for farming pur-
poses. There are several streams of water,
branches of the Codorus, passing through it,
which furnish water-power and water supply
for the manufacturing interests of the town. In
1837 the railroad was built through the place
where the town now is, and it was at this
time that it received its name by Nat Bernard,
the contractor for the grading of that portion
of the railroad. He found some very hard
rock to cut through, so he named them the
"rocks in the glen" or Glen Rock. At this
time Simon Koller owned a large part of the
land now incorporated in the borough, but
fearing the railroad would ruin him, he sold
it to William Heathcote, an Englishman
then recently from England, with whom came
also other Englishmen — the Shaws, Rad-
cliffes and other Heathcotes, so that it be-
came an English settlement. The station of
the railroad was known as Heathcote' s up to
1843, when it took its present name and when
a postoffice was established. In 1845 there
were but ten families in the place; 1 woolen
factory employing fourteen hands; 1 store
and tavern, 1 machinist, 1 tailor, black-
smith, doctor, and 2 wood sawyers. In
1850 Philip Shefler, a farmer near the town,
put up some houses and purchased the vvoolen-
mill, converted it into a grist-mill, and Mr.
Heathcote erected another woolen-mill near
the town. This gave the then village new
life and the people began to talk of putting
up other manufacturing enterprises, which



took practical shape in the erection of the
foundry and machine shop in 18r)4, by Heath-
cote, Herbst & Co. ; the company consisting
of William Heathcote, William Herbst, J. V.
Hoshour, John Scott, Emanuel Frey, Charles
Frey, Henry Seitz; F. T. Scott, a practical
machinist, being chosen as manager. This
plant was the means of developing the town,
and has ever since been an important factor
in its growth. It gradually enlarged its
sphere and did an extensive business in car
building, and is now known as the Glen Rock
Manufacturing Company and is doing a gen-
eral manufacturing business, including en-
gines, boilers, mill machinery, farming im-
plements, etc. In the meantime J. V. Hosh-
our did an extensive forwarding and commis-
sion business, in which he was subsequently
followed by E. Sheffer, who did a good deal
to encourage the growth of the place.

The woolen- mill or factory was the first
manufacturing establishment of the town, and
it has been successfully maintained ever
since, doing a large business and employing
a number of hands. William Heathcote, the
first proprietor, conducted the business for a
number of years, when his son, James Heath-
cote, assumed control of and conducted it for
some years, and up to his death, when L. K.
Heathcote, the present proprietor and mana-
ger, assumed control of it and has developed
a large trade in felt manufacturing, some of
his goods reaching a foreign market. This
plant, no doubt, gave the town its first man-
ufacturing impulse. In the early history of
the town Messrs. Mark Radcliffe and George
Shaw, in the name of Radcliffe & Shaw, began
the manufacture of rope and twine in a mea-
ger style. They erected a wheel and spindle
for twisting purposes along a fence, and
there under the broad canopy of heaven, when
the weather would permit, they would man-
ufacture an excellent rope and twine. They
gradually developed their facilities until at
present they have the largest rope-walk in the
State, and own the large cordage-mill at
Centreville, near the town. H. H. Radcliffe
has lately became a member of the firm.
They are now employing quite a number of
laborers, and their goods are very popular.
The lumber business was commenced by J.
V. Hoshour, who was followed by John Frey,
C. Glatfelter, S. K. Hoshour, who, with
Messrs. J. C. Fallon and C. Gore, erected a
pianing-mill and sash factory in 1874, Mr.
Fallon soon withdrawing.- The building with
a large quantity of lumber was destroyed by
fire in 1876. Other buildings were erected,
and, Mr. Gore withdrawing, Joseph Dise, A.
W. Gray and J. H. Hoshour became the pro-



712



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY.



pnetors, but in 1878 Messrs. Gray and J. H.
Hoshour withdrew and Henry Bahn became
interested, and from thence to the present
the firm of Hoshom-, Dise & Co., have been
conducting a very successful business, em-
ploying a large force of labor and handling
a large quantity of lumber — Messrs. Joseph
Dise and S. K. Hoshour being young men of
energy, enterprise and push. Messrs. J. W.
Hartman and S. E. Hoshour began the man-
ufacture of carriages, etc., in the town in
lSv2, and they have developed a very fine
business, employing a large number of 'labor-
ers, and putting out a large line of tine goods,
which are demanding a good market abroad.
Henry Yeager also conducted the coach man-
ufacturing business in the town for a few
years. Various' other efforts at manufac-
turing were attempted, but met with only
partial success and they were subsequently
abandoned.

The mercantile trade was first introduced
by Daniel Reiman in 1827, when he opened
a store in the frame building now occupied
by Charles Heathcofce and Jonathan Foust.
Reiman was followed by Henrv Latimer
under the firm name of Small, 'Latimer &
Meyers. In 1840 the store-house was sold to
Jacob Epply, who associated with him in
business J. V. Hoshour, and a success-
ful trade was conducted. Mr. Hoshour
later conducted a very extensive found-
ing business. Mr. Epply was followed in
the mercantile trade by William Herbst, who
in turn was followed by E. Sheifer, who did
a very extensive business in the large build-
ing now owned by the Northern Central
Railroad, and which is now occupied by E.
R. Miller and I. Glatfelter. William Herbst
and N. K. Seitz opened a store in 1867, on
the corner of Church and Main Streets and a
successful business has since been conducted
there by them; Mr. Seitz withdi-awing subse-
quently, Messrs J. S. Herbst and W. H.
Herbst became partners and the business is
now conducted by W. Herbst & Sons. In
1872 A. D. Meyers opened a jewelry store
and conducted a successful business to with-
in a few years, when J. A. Shomaker
assumed the business, and he has been very
successful. Messrs. E. Bortner and David ,
Becker have within a few years developed an
extensive ice cream trade, which they are j
manufacturing and shipping abroad. In
1880 a tine brick building was erected by G.
F. Heathcote, and occupied as a shoe factory
for several years. That business having been
abandoned the building is now occupied as a
grist-mill.

The publication of the Item, a weekly



newspaper, was commenced in 1870 by M. O.
Smith and G. W. Nichols. It was well re-
ceived, although but a small sheet when it
was first issued. Mr. Nichols early with-
drew from its publication and Mr. Smith eon-
ducted the business himself, when he subse-
quently associated with him N. Z. Seitz,
which co-partnership continued for several
years, when Mr. Smith retired and Mr. Seitz
continued the publication up to the present;
in the meantime T. M. Meads was, for a few
months, identified with the publication, as was
also A.W.Gray for nearly four years, with W.
A. Spate during the past year, the paper now
being published by Seitz & Spate. The
paper has been enlarged a number of times
until it has been enlarged to its present size,
which is a nine column paper printed on a
sheet 28x42. It has been well sustained by
the people. It has always been fearless and
independent in its editorial reflections, and
progressive and aggressive in its advocacy of
reforms. It holds an advanced position in
county journalism.

The town was incorporated in 1860 by the
courts of the county, and the opposition to
iucorporation was considerable by the people
of the township. Philip Sheifer was the first
chief burgess, and Lyman B. Moody is the
present officer. The census of 1880 shows a
population of 651; it has since increased very
much and will now reach nearly 1,000.

As soon as the town became an incor-
porated borough it pushed its public school
educational work, and in that particular it
has always stood in the advanced ranks in the
county. The building for school purposes is
large and suitably furnished. The school
work had been in charge of Prof. A.W. Gray,
a prominent educator of the county for a
number of years. He had won the esteem
and confidence of both pupils and parents,
and did an excellent work for the people of
the town. His select schools were la!rgely
attended by young ladies and gentlemen from
other sections of the county. He had become
very popular among the educators of the
county, and, had he lived, would have been
chosen as the county superintendent. The
first school building was erected by William
Heathcote soon after he became settled, and
private schools were maintained in it until
the public schools were properly organized.

A religious sentiment prevailed among the
early settlers, and the people generally at-
tended Sabbath services at Fissel's Church,
about two miles south of the town. As early
as 1842 Rev. Moses Bower, of the Evangeli-
cal Association, who was at the time serving^
Gettysburg charge, preached at times in thtt



SHKEWSBURY TOWNSHIP



brick school building, in the northei-n end of
the town, and which had been erected by W.
Heathcote. Rev. Bowers was followed on
the charge by Revs. J. Boas, E. Kohr, Lew
Humelsheim, D. Dellinger, Tip to 184S, when
Rev. "Uriah Eberhart was appointed to the
charge, who effected an organization, and
Henry Seitz was chosen as the first class
leader. At the following session of confer-
ence, Glen Rock was detached from Grettys- {
burg and attached to Shrewsbury Circuit,
and the ministers who ofBoiated on that
charge as given in Shrewsbury History, from
that date to 1867, when it was made a mis-
sion, and Rev. J. Hartzler, served the mis-
sion for three successive years. He was fol-
lowed by Revs. S. P. Remer, P. W. Rardi-
bough, H. W. Back, P. W. Groap, E. Crumb-
ling, and the present pastor, Rev. J. A. Irv-
ine. In 1849, while Rev. J. W. L. Seibert
served Shrewsbury Circuit, the first church
was erected. It was a substantial brick struct -
ure, located on Church Street. In 1870 the
old church edifice was sold and a new one
erected on New Street. This is a large, hand-
some and substantially constructed two story
building. The Union Sunday-school which
is connected with this church, was organized
in 1848, and has been in successful organiza-
tion since. David Herbst, Sr., was its first
superintendent.

The Methodist Episcopal Church organized
in 1865, and erected a church edifice in that
and the following year. The ministers who
served on Shrewsbury Circuit, and which are
given in the Methodist Episcopal Church his-
tory of Shrewsbury, served also this congre-
gation. The congregation is not large, its
present membership being twenty- seven.
There is a flourishing Sunday-school con-
nected with the congregation.

The Lutheran congregation was informally
organized in 1 859, when Rev. A. Berg, then
the pastor of Shrewsbury charge, began to
hold regular service in Sheffer's Hall. A
formal organization was effected and a church
edifice erected in 1860-61. It was made
a separate charge and Rev. J. Kempfer was
called to seive it. He continued the pastor
to 1868 when he resigned, and Rev. J. C.
Roller was called to the pastorate, who served
the congregation to 1880, when the present
pastor, J. B. Wolf, was called by the congre-
gation to the pastorate. Rev. J. C. Koller
having resigned. The congregation now
numbers about 200 members and has con-
nected with it a large and interesting Sab-
bath-school.

The German Reformed people have made
various efforts at organization, but thus far



they have not been successful. Nothwith-
standing, there are a number of people of
that religious faith living in the town. Revs.
D. Gring, W. Xanders and others have
preached in the town, but no complete organ-
ization is now existing.

In 1865 a circle of the Brotherhood of the
Union, a beneficial organization, was organ-
ized, and gained considerable of a member-
ship until 1870; when the organization was
suspended, and Friendly Lodge, No. 287, K.
of P. , of Pennsylvania, was organized.
This lodge has a membership of some seventy,
and is financially strong.

Yosemite Tribe, No. 100, I. O. R. M., was
organized in 1868; has a present membership
of some forty and is financially in good con-
{ dition.

Several temperance [organizations have
j been effected in the town, but all were in due
I time suspended without accomplishing any
I special reforms.

The town has a musical organization,
" The Glen Rock Band," which has won for
itself a reputation and popularity which
reaches far beyond its own town. Its serv-
ices are frequently called to distant cities.

The town has no old soldier residents, but
it sent the following to the army during the
late Rebellion: A. Shaw, L. K. Heathcote, L.
W. Dabs, William Metcalf, I. Rhinehart, W.
F. Baum, Noah Allison, T. Bamforth, J. M.
Homigan, A. Moessinger, Henry Seitz, C. T.
Seitz, A. Shauck, James Laurq, Ned Gaff-
eney, Penn. Birchival, John Foust.

The First National Bank of Glen Rock,
Penn., was organized in 1863, with a capital
stock of $50,000, E. Sheffer being its first
president, and Henry Seitz, cashier. H.
Seitz has served as cashier of the bank from
its organization to the present time. J. V.
Hoshour followed Mr. Sheffer as the presi-
ent of the bank, who was in turn succeeded
by Charles Frey; and he by William Herbst,
the present ofiicer. The capital stock of the
bank has been increased to $75,000.

RAILROAD BOROUGH.

Railroad Borough is a town of aboiit 250
population and is situated on the Northern
Central Railroad, about one mile west of
Shrewsbury, and was incorporated into a
borough August 31, 1871, with F. Helb, as
chief burgess; J. N. Grove, assistant bur-
gess; S. Klinefelter, G. W. Ruby, Daniel
Seitz, M. Gable. T. H. McAbee and James
M. McGuigan, as councilmen. The town is
nestled between the hills which surround it,
and has been for many years an important



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY.



freight depot. The population in 1880 was
221, and it has increased quite rapidly since.

In 1792 the land was mo.stly owned by
John Klinefelter, and he erected a small grist-
mill at the place where Ruby's barn now
stands, and he also erected a log-house near
the same place. Soon after this, Ulrick Heiss
purchased the land where Stabler's mill now
stands, and erected thereon an oil-mill which
was subsequently torn down and the present
mill erected. G. M. Henry bought the greater
part of land now included in the borough, put
a grist mill where Euby's mill now stands,
and in 1841 removed the old grist-mill where
Helb's tannery now stands, and converted it
into a bark-mill. In 1822 an apple distillery
was in progress where Helb's distillery now
stands. In 1849 Frederick Helb came to the
place, and began the tanning business. He
Ijegau in a very simple way, not even having
a building, but used old hogsheads as vats,
and having the use of the bark-mill of Mr.
Henry, he ground the bark he used with that.
He purchased the mill later, erected a build-
ing for a tannery and built the usual vats.
He has since greatly enlarged his facilities,
until at present he is conducting a very large
and profitable business. He has been quite
successful in his business ventures and has
done more than any other man to improve the
town. He now owns a large proportion of
the property in the town, and is identified
with much of the business surrounding it. In
1833 G. M: Henry built a grist-mill, where the
brick grist-mill of Mr. Ruby now stands, which
was supplanted with the present building by
Mr. Ruby in 1862. The first station house stood
near where Ruby's mill now stands. The
brick warehouse occupied at present by Mr.
Day, was erected in 1845 by Messrs. Simon
and Jesse Klinefelter. The same gentlemen
erected the stone store and warehouse build-
ing on the east side of the railroad, now oc-
cupied by Ml-. G. P. Everhart. The same
gentlemen also erected the brick-mill in the
northern portion of the town now owned by
Jared Stabler. In 1849 the same gentlemen
erected a bark-mill near the station, which
was converted into a flavine-mill in 1869, by
Klinefelter & Hoblistou. The present pro-
prietors of these works are the Boston Chemi-
cal Dye Works. In 1859 the present hotel
building was erected by Mr. Roy. It is now
occupied by John Kauffelt. Mr. G. P. Ever-
hart is doing a large forwarding and commis-
sion business, as also a dry goods and grocery
business, while Mr. Helb is conducting the
tanning and brewing business, as also the
stave business.

A public school has been conducted in the



place for many years. A new school build-
ing has been erected within a few years,
which is highly creditable to those who
erected it. A Sunday-school has been con-
ducted in the place for some years, which is
doing a good work among the children of the
town.

NEW FREEDOM.

New Freedom is a small town situated in
the southern portion of the township of
Shrewsbury on the Northern Central Railroad.
The town is very beautifully situated on a
level plain on an elevation, the land surround-
ing the town being fertile and level. The
population in 1880 was 325, and it has since
grown quite rapidly. It was incorporated
into a boi'ough in 1879, with H. F. Hofacker,
as chief burgess; C. Singer, as assistant, and
S. G. Hildebrand, John L. Hailer, Lewis
Grove, Dr. E. K. Free and S. Grove, as
councilmen. The Free family was among the
early settlers of the town, and they first
opened business there. The present business
men are M. W. Bahn, Messrs. U. H. Gore &
Bro., J. R. Nonewaker, R. F. KoUer, H. F.
Hofacker, J. B. Wherly, J. E. Miller and
others. The town has good public-schools,
which are well sustained by the people.

The first religious organization effected in
the town, or the locality where the town is
now located, was St. John's Catholic Church.
In 1842 Father Gabriel Rempler, a Redemp-
torist priest of Baltimore, visited the com-
munity and found a very devoted member of
his church in Meimad Miiller, a Germau set-
tler, who lived at the old farmhouse now oc-
cupied by Charles King, where mass was first
orfered in that section of the county, and at this
place for some four months after like services
were regularly held. Mr. Miiller donated
land sufiicient to erect a church thereon,
which was done by the contributions of the
members, and the church was properly dedi-
cated in 1842. It was regularly served from
1842 to 1852 by priests from Baltimore, and
some of the most noted priests of the Ee-
demptorist order preached in this humble edi-
fice. From 1853 to 1875, it was regularly
served from York as a mission, after that.
Father Koch became regular pastor; then, in
1881, Father Huber, who served until re-
cently, when he was succeeded by Father
Breckel.*



*For additional hisiory oi New Freedoiu, see Addenda.



SPRINGFIELD TOAVNSHIP.



THE TOWNSHIP OF SPRINGFIELD.

FOR ninety years this township formed a
part of Shrewsbury. The names of its tax-
able inhabitants in 1783 will be found in the
history of that township. A petition asking
for a division of Shrewsbury was presented
in 1834: to the court, presided over by Judge
Walter Franklin and his associates, George
Barnitz and John L. Hinkle, stating that
"the township of Shrewsbury is eighteen
miles long, and on this account many of the
inhabitants are too far from the place of
transacting the common township business."
The court appointed George Hoke, Henry
Leib and John Eyster commissioners, who
selected George M. Henry surveyor, and the
division line was run November 24, 1834.
The report of said commissioners recom-
mending the erection of this township, which
was named by them, Springfield, was con-
Urmed by the court, April 9, 1835.

TOPOGRAPHY.

Springfield is crossed from north to south
by the York & Maryland Line Turnpike,
which passes over the line of the old Potaps-
co road, laid out from York to Joppa and



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 145 of 218)