John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 146 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 146 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Potapsco (now Baltimore) in 1742, the year
after York was founded. Joppa, now a
dilapidated village on the Gunpowder River,
was then the county seat of Baltimore
County. The turnpike passes along the sum-
mit of the height of land that divides the
tributaries of two large branches of the
Codorus Creek, which form a confluence at
the extreme northern point of Springfield.
These streams separate Springfield from
Hopewell on the east, York on the north,
Codorus and North Codorus on the west.
The southern boundary is an artificial line
separating it from Shrewsbury. The sur-
face of this township is very undulating. At
different places along the turnpike, the view
in summer over the beautifully rounded
hills, and systematically carved little valleys,
all clad in rich verdure, is delightful to be-
hold. The Northern Central Railway passes
along the western part and crosses the
Codorus five times within the limits of the
township. The population in 1840 was 1,207;
in 1880 it was 1,854; the number of taxables
in 1884 was 559; valuation of real estate,
$811,191; county tax, 13,151; State tax,
$220. Foust's Distillery in the lower end of
Springfield is specially noted for the manu-
facture of pure liquors. A very large busi-
ness has been done at this place for many
years.



THE BOROUGH OP LOGANVILLE.

The borough of Loganville is situated
along the York & Maryland Line Turnpike
near the centre of Springfield Township.
On an elevated plane immediately west of the
town, the landscape scenery far to the north
and the west is fascinating beyond descrip-
tion. The broad and fertile valley, extend-
ing from the Susquehanna, southwest as
far as the field of vision goes, and north to
the South Mountains, unfolds to the view of
the observer, a garden of unrivalled loveli-
ness, with the town of York, near the eastern
bounds of the circular horizon, and Gettys-
burg in the western.

Robert Wilson, an auctioneer, laid out
the town of Loganville in 1820, and named it
in honor of Col. Henry Logan, then a leading
politician, who resided near Dilisburg, and
subsequently represented this county in con-
gress. Robert Wilson, afterward, became
court crier at York, to which place he moved.
In 1824 he advertised that "Old Bob has
lately come to town and can always be found,
at his stand on East Market Street. He is
only man in the county, who has cryed all
his life without weeping." The survey of
the plat of ground on which Loganville is
built, was made by Robert Richie. The
town is built in two sections, between which
is a ridge of land. Some jovial persoaage
during its early history, comparing the town
thus built to the saddle-bags of our old time
physicians, gave it the cant name of "Zwer-
ichsackstettle." Wilson would not sanction
the use of this title after which for some years,
the name "Martinsburg" was very generally
applied to it, on account of the large number
of martin birds, that collected there. Robert
Wilson Owned a large house, which is not
now in existence, in this he kept the first
postoffice. In 1830 Samuel Keyser succeed-
ed him, and held the office for many years.

Jacob Gipe kept the first store of the town,
in the house now owned by Juliann Venus,
Frederick Asper soon after opened a store in
the house at present owned by W. A. Spate,
Paul Burbank conducted the same business
in the house of Casper Hildebrand. Freder-
ick Overmiller was one of the early mer-
chants. Susan Hildebrand, now ninety- one
years old, and widow of Jacob N. Hildebrand,
has a distinct recollection of the origin of
the town. Catharine Decker, another resi-
dent, is ninety-four years old. In 1830 there
were twelve houses, a hotel and a store, in
1840, the number of houses increased to
twenty, and the population was ninety.
Population in 1880 was 312. Number of



HISTORY OF yOEK COUNTY.



taxable inhabitants in 1884 was 102; valua-
tion of real estate for same year, $89,344.

Loganville was incorporated, April 2,
1852. The first election officers were: judge,
John F. Beck; inspectors, George W. Eeever
and Jacob Glatfelter; chief burgess, John
Beck, Sr. ; assistant burgess, Michael
Snyder; town council, John Hildebrand,
Frederick Venus, Samuel Smith, Daniel
Goodling and Adam Krout;constable, Charles
Overmiller; school directors, Joseph Hart-
man, Casper Hildebrand and Henry Ker-
linger. There were but three school directors
chosen that time for the borough. Of these
officers the following are still living: George
W. Keever, York, Penn. ; Samuel Smith,
Glen Eock; Daniel Goodling, Loganville;
Adam Krout, Springfield Township; Joseph
Hartman, Shrewsbury Borough; Henry Ker-
iingei-, Stewartstown ; John F. Beck, Spring-
field Township.

The present chief burgess is Josiah N.
Bailey. Deterich Hildebrand and Charles
Sprenkle are the justices of the peace. The
former has been justice for a number of
years in succession.

The Loganville cornet band was organized
August 20, 1858, and at present numbers
twenty members. It has an excellent rep-
utation for fine playing. New silver-plated
instruments were purchased in 1885. The
band owns a tine hall in which weekly meet-
ings are held. Henry Kerlinger and Henry
Decker were instrumental in organizing the
band. Deterich Hildebrand is the only
original member.

The Loganville Mutual Improvement
Society, which has existed for many years, is
an organization that has accomplished much
good. Quite a taste for reading and study has
been aroused among young people through its
work. Several of the young men who were
members, have become successful ministers
and physicians. It is also the parent of
the York County Educational Society.

Dr. George P. Yost, now of Glen Eock, for a
number of years enjoyed a lucrative practice
at Loganville. He has been succeeded by
Dr. George W. Holtzapple. The village
schools for 1885, were taught by E. B. Good-
ling and J. M. Bailey. Emanuel S. Smith,
of the prothonolary's office, resides here as
does also W. A. Spate, one of the publishers
of the Glen Eock Item to whom we are under
many obligations for the history of Logan-
ville.

THE VILLAGE OF NEW PARADISE.
New Paradise, which has about 200 in-
habitants, is located on the York & Balti-



more Turnpike, about five miles from York
and two miles from Loganville, in the
northern portion of Springfield. The first
house of this town was built by John Snyder,
in 1837. It is still owned and occupied by
him. He at one time was the owuer of
nearly all the land upon which the town is
built, he sold it off in lots and encouraged
building, but did not covet the honor of
having the town called after himself. When
a churcb was dedicated in 1862, and named
Paradise Evangelical Church, by Eev. Adam
Ettinger of York, who ofiiciated at the dedi-
catory services, the citizens appropriated this
name and called their town New Paradise. No
better name could have been selected, thought
they, until they applied for a postoffice in
1881 and found that "Uncle Sam" already
owned such a place in Pennsylvania, whereup-
on the singular name of "Jacobu.s" was select-
ed and Dr. J. S. Miller, now of York, was
appointed postmaster. Frank Geiselraan for
the past few years has filled that position.
Jacob Geiselman for many years kept a
store. Eli Krout is now the merchant of the
village. Dr. E. P. Eohrbach is the physi-
cian. The manufacture of cigars is an im-
portant industry, and about fifty workmen
are employed in the various factories, owned
by D. M. Loucks (now deputy revenue col-
lector), Jamen Smith, George Shafer, Pius
Dip, Pius Snyder, Frank Krout and Daniel
Fortney.

SEVEN VALLEY.

This village has about twenty houses, and
is located three-quarters of a mile north of
Hanover Junction, on the Northern Central
Eailroad. The name "Sieben Thai" or Seven
Valley, originated with the first German
settlers, who took up the fertile lands in the
vicinity about 1740. Among these settlers,
were a number of "Sieben Tagers" or
Seventh Day Baptists, who came thither from
their settlement at Conestoga and Ephrata,
Lancaster County. The use of the words
"Thai" and "Tag" becoming confused, the
former predominated, and hence, doubtless,
originated the name Seven Valley. The
surrounding country is greatly undulating,
but there are not seven valleys distinctly
marked in the vicinity.

In 1838, when the railroad was completed
from Baltimore to York, Jacob Smyser and
John E. Ziegler opened the first store at this
point. The station was called "Smyser"
in honor of the first-named gentleman. The
postoffice was established the same year. It
was named Seven Valley, and John E. Zieg-
ler was appointed postmaster.



SPRINGFIELD TOWNSHIP.



Henety Bott succeeded in the store business
in 1840, and has continued since. He also
became postmaster the same year. His son
W. W. i5ott succeeded him as postmaster in
1875, and the same year began the manu-
facture of ice cream. Nathan Glatfelter
opened a store in 1873. There are a number
of cigar factories in the village. Dr. J. Allen
Glatfelter practices medicine here. Trinity
Evangelical Lutheran Church at Seven Val-
ley was organized by the late Rev. C J.
Deininger, March 29, 18()S. The con-
gregation worshiped in a hall until 1871,
when the present church was built. The
dedicatory sermon was preached by Rev. A.
H. Lochman of York. Rev. Deininger re-
signed the charge September 6, 1874.
His successors since then have been Revs.
D. Stock, L. T. Williams, Peter Anstadt and
C. M. Eyster. The membership at present
is fifty. The Sunday-school numbers 100
pupils. H. I. Glatfelter is superintendent.

CHURCHES.

Friedeusaals Kirche, located near the east
end of Springfield, is better known as "Shus-
ter's Church." The first German settlers
of this region were organized into a congre-
gation in 1763, by Rev. Kirchner, a native
German. The next pastor was Rev. Lucas
Raus who served from 1770 to 1787, and
Rev. Augustus Reutze succeeded in 1795.
The first grant of church land, was given
March 30, 1774. It was an original grant
from the proprietaries of the Province of
Pennsylvania. John, Thomas and Richard
Penn, who directed a survey to be received
in the land ofiice at Philadelphia of "a tract
of land called the church lot, containing eight
acres and 110 perches of land situated in
Shrewsbury (now Springfield) Township in
the county of York, made by virtue of appli-
cation No. 5270, for John Hella and Nich-
olas Henry, in trust for the Lutheran congre-
gation now formed thereon. The said trustees
to be holden of us, our heirs and successors,
propirietariea of Pennsylvania as of our
Manor of Maske in the county of York, in
free and common soceage by Fealty only, in
lieu of all other services, yielding and pay-
ing unto us or our agents at the town of
Y'ork an annual quit rent on the first day of
March instant of one shilling sterling, or
value thereof in coin current, according as
the exchange shall th-^n be between our said
Province and the city of London."

The consideration money for the transfer
of the deed, was 8s. lOd. The survey was
made " on the 5th day of the 4th month,
1769," by William Matthews deputy surveyor



of York County. The church lot was in the
shape of a right angled triangle. The land
adjoining the base and the perpendicular of
it was designated as belonging to Nicholas.
Shuster, hence the origin of the name "Shus-
ter's Church." The land on the other side^
belonged to Conrad Curfraan. The follow-
ing is a copy of receipt for money paid for
the land:

Philadelphia, March 28, 1774.
Received of John George Hella and Nicholas
Henry, in trust for Lutheran Congregation, the sum
of one pound and tour pence current money of
Pennsylvania, in lieu of fourteen shillings and two
pence sterling, in full for purchase money interest
and quit rent due on eight acres and 110 perches of
land in Shrewsbury Town, York County, surveyed
pursuant to application' entered Nov. 34, 176S.
Received for the Honorable Proprietaries.
£1. 0. 4.

By Edmund Physice.

William Earhart and Jacob Ness, on th&
4th month and 16th day, 1774, received frons
Nicholas Henry and John George Hella, £4
13s. for expenses paid in patenting church
lot, for great seal, for recording patent and
for incidental expenses.

In the year 1848 a charter was granted
under the name of the "Evangelical Lu-
theran Congregations of Friedeusaals Church
in Springfield Township." At that time-
George Leader, John Meyer, John Crout and'
Henry B. Castoe were church elders, and
Joseph Ness, Henry Crout, George Ehrhart
and Samuel Castoe, church wardens.

A parochial school was kept in a building-
on the church property for many years, sup-
ported by the members of the congregation.
August 9, 1851. Jacob Schnell, William
Swartz, Joseph Steils and Adam Ness, elders
of the church, leased to Jacob Koller, John
Williams, John Snyder and others, school
directors of Springfield Township, leased the
schoolhouse erected on the church lands. The
property on which the schoolhouse stood, at.
that time, adjoined the lands of John Good-
ling and Joseph Hildebrand. The condi-
tions of the please were for a term of ten
years "if the common school system shall so
long be in operation."

The present church building, the third ono
in succession, stands on the original plat.
The first building was made of logs. The
second building was a frame structure painted
white and was called "Die Weis Kirche."
The name which the present brick church
bears was given to it by Rev. Mr. Burg, who
for many years was the pastor. Rev. C. M.
Eyster, who has recently been called to Man-
chester, Md., was the last pastor.

St. Peter's Reformed Church. — The reformed
congregation which now worships in this



718



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY.



church was organized about 1783, and from that
date to 1876 worshiped in Shuster's Church,
■which is not far distant. During the centen-
nial year the handsome new brick church was
built. The ministers since the organization
in order of succession were Kevs. Adam
Ettinger, Henry Fries, F. Scholl, Henry B.
Habliston, John A. Foersch, F. Bucher, John
Keineka, C. W. Reineka, W. Vandersloot,
Daniel Gring and the present efiScient pastor,
Kev. A. P. Driesbaugh, of Shrewsbury. The
snembership is 150.

Mount Zion Church. —In the private
house of John Seitz, religious services were
held by ministers of the Evangelical Associ-
ation as early as 1810. Kevs. John Erb,
Matthias Betz, A. Buchman, and A. Henning
held meetings here for a number of years.
•Services were held in dwelling houses until
1826, when the congregation became so
strong that a stone church was built that
year. In the annals of the Evangelical Asso-
ciation, this is an historic spot, as it is the
site of the first church erected by the members
exclusively of that denomination in York
County, and the second one in America. This
landmark is now used by the tirm of Anstine
& Hildebrand, as a store-room. It was used
as a house of worship itntil 1855,' when a
large brick building was erected; this stood
until 1880, when the present brick church
was built, at a cost of $2,4:00, under the pas-
torate of Rev. H. M. Greninger. It occupies
the same site as the second church. Near
this place Mount Zion camp meeting is an-
nually held, under the auspices of the Evan-
gelical Association. It is one of the largest
meetings of this kind conducted by this
church body, and is regularly attended by a
great number of ministers and people. Mount
Ziou Sunday-school of ninety pupils, is su-
perintended by William H. Snyder.

Loganville Church. — As early as 1810
■religious services, under the auspices of this
denomination, were held in the, vicinity of
Xioganville by missionaries, in the private
houses of Peter Goodling, and Samuel Raver.
Revs. A. Buchman and A. Henning formed a
class during the year 1812. From the time of
the organization until 18-1:2, meetings were
conducted in a schoolhouse used for religious
worship. It was during that year that the
church was built, at a cost of $1,200, under
the pastorate of Revs. George Sheaffer and
Conrad Link. Rev. Link afterward became
the first missionary of the Evangelical Asso-
ciation sent to Europe. He was commis-
sioned to go to Stuttgart, Germany, where he
did efficient work and died there a few years
aso. The church is a frame structure, and



this appointment originally formed a part of
the Shrewsbury circuit. It is now the cen-
tral congregation of the Loganville circuit.
Rev. S. Aurand is the present pastor. A
Sunday-school containing 110 pupils is kept
in the church. For a number of years W.
A. Spate has been superintendent.

Salem Lutheran and Reformed Church, in
Springfield, near New Paradise, was organ-
ized in 1841, by Rev. Peter Herman, of
Windsor, at Hartman's Schoolhouse. In
1842 the first church was built, of wood.
Prominent in this undertaking were John
Dehoff, John Glotter, John Becker, Daniel
Ness, John Barshinger and George Hart-
man. In 1882 the present large brick
church was built, one of the finest and most
commodious country churches in the county,
while the Lutheran congregation was under
the pastoral care oE the late Rev. C. J. Deinin-
ger. Revs. Gotwald, of York, and Gerhart,
of Lancaster, officiated at the corner-stone
laying; Rev. Enders, of York, and Rev.
Gerhart, at the dedication.

At the corner-stone laying of the first
church in 1842, Revs. J. G. Schmucker, A.
H. Lochman, J. Kempfer and F. W. Vander-
sloot, and at the dedication on November 20,
of the same year. Revs. Lochman, Schmucker,
Cares and Lennert (Moravian) were present.
The prominent members of this congrega-
tian were Emanuel Ness, Samuel Ness, Isaac
![ieader, Isaac Hovis, Lewis Bupp and Henry
Harting. The official labors of Rev. Deinin-
ger, at this church, from 1853 to 1885, be-
sides preaching were: Infant baptisms, 443;
adult, 2V3; burials, 135; confirmations, 338;
present membership, 200. Rev. J. H. Leeser
is pastor. The Reformed pastors have been
Revs. John Cares, who organized the Re-
formed congregation in 1842; John Reineke,
William Good and Bossier. Rev. Rhine-
hart Smith took charge of the congregation,
August, 1866, and is now the pastor.
I Paradise Church. — In 1842 Revs. George
i Sheaffer and Conrad Link, while traveling
the Shrewsbury Circuit, began preaching in
I the dwelling house, of John Snyder. An
organization was not effected until 1861,
when Rev. Adam Ettinger, one of the fa-
thers of the Evangelical Association, formed a
class of seven members. Paradise Church
was built in the year 1882 under the pastor-
ate of Rev. Stambach. It is a frame build-
ing and cost about $1,000. The Sunday-
school of eighty pupils is under the super-
intendency of Eli B. Krout.

The German Baptist Meeting hoiise is lo-
cated in Dunker Valley, a short distance east
of Loganville. It is a fine brick building



YORK TOWNSHIP.



70x40 feet with basement and attio, built
about 1872. Five acres of densely wooded
church land adjoins it, ou one corner of
which is a graveyard. The annual love
feast usually held in May of each year, is
very largely attended.

PUBLIC SCHOOLS.

The ten public schools in the township of
Springfield, exclusive of Loganville Borough,
have the following names: Shisler's, Rupp's,
Seven Valley, Krout's, Falkenstine's, Gas-
low's, Paradise, Snyder's, Seitz's and Kreid-
ler's.

MINING INTEREST.

Springfield contains valuable deposits of
iron ore.

The Feigley Bank, one and a half miles
east of Loganville, has been very productive.
It was opened by Mr. Musselman in 1867.
Messrs. Denny, Nes & Kauffman, succeeded
as lessees. The ore, generally, is a limonite,
finely disseminated through a mass of clay.
It occurs in irregular segregations through
the clay, and is more than ninety per cent
wash ore. A dark bltie compact and heavy
argillaceous ore occurs here. Under the
proprietors named, 70,000 tons of ore were
taken from the mine. Several thousand tons
were taken out in 1883 and 1884 by the Chi-
ques Iron Company.

The Springfield Bank, adjoining the one
described, is on the Brillhart farm. It was
opened by C. S. Kauffman, of Columbia,
about 1870. The Chiques Iron Company
operated it since 1880, and have taken out
17,000 tons of ore, which was hauled to
Glatfelter's Station, Northern Central Kail-
way, and shipped from that point by rail.
An interesting feature of these two banks
described, is the occurrence in them of a fine
bluish laminated limestone, containing white
crystals scattered through it.

Thei'e are a number of other banks in the
township.



THE TOWNSHIP OF YOEK.

^'^HIS township was formed in 1753, four
- years after the erection of York County.
It was reduced in its limits by the formation
of Windsor in 1759, and of Spring Garden
in 1822, portions of each were taken from
York. In 1783 this township had 128 houses,
94 barns, 456 male and 437 female inhabi-
tants, 9 mills, and contained an estimated



area of 30,309 acres of land. In 1883 there
were 614 taxable inhabitants, and a property
valuation of $879,264; population, in 1880,
exclusive of the boroughs, was 2,379.

The township, as at present formed, is
quite undulating, but contains much valu-
able farming land. It is drained by branch-
es of the Codorus, on which are a number of
mills. It is crossed by the York & Peach Bot-
tom Railway on the east, and Northern Cen-
tral Railway on the west end, and also by the
Chanceford and Baltimore Turnpikes.

There are extensive deposits of ore in the
east end of the township, much of which was
used in the charcoal furnaces, and later large
amounts have been shipped by various com-
panies.

The following is a list of the taxables of
York Township for the year 1783; it also in-
cludes part of the present area of Spring
Garden :

NAMES OF RESIDENTS IN 1783.



Thomas Armor.
George Anstein.
Widow Albright.
Henry Alt.
Jacob Brand.
James Brady.
Patrick Burlie.
William Barr.
Weiricli Bentz.
Adam Beclver.
George Bentz.
Jolin Brooks.
Henry Berninger.
George Bart.
Jacob Blymyer.
Widow Brown.
Jolin Collins.
Peter Diehl.
Nicholas Diehl.
Abraham Danner.
Michael Deis.

William Dreher.

William Decker.

Benedict Dome.

George Diehl.

Henry Dahlman.

John Eppley.

Peter Ford.

Widow Fry.

Adam Fry.

Henry Fisher.

Frederick Fisher.

Martin Fliuchbach.

Aaron Flowers.

Peter Feiser.

George Fry.

Michael Fissel. .

Casper Fisher.

Jacob Freed.

George Fry.

Jacob Geesey.

John Geesey.

John Gerhart.

Mathias Gardner.

Conrad Geesey.

John Hamsher.

Anthony Hill.

John Harnish.



Jacob Hell.
Michael Heindel.
Peter Hose.
John Hartlein.
John Herbach.
Michael Heinlgo.
Michael Hengst.
George Hoffman.
John Immel.
David Jamison.
Peter Grim.
Philip Grim.
Sebastian Irish.
John Innerst.
Henry Kauffman.
Jacob Koch.
Michael Klingman.
Michael Kurtz.
Jacob Keller.
Jacob Koch, Jr.
Henry Korbman.
Daniel Keller.
John Keffer.
Henry Klein.
Solomon Kauffman.
John Kauffman.
Jacob Lefever.
Philip Lehr.
Peter Lenlz.
Michael Long.
George Lotman.
Jacob Leaman.
Jacob Leedy.
Jacob Lepold.
John Long.
Stephen Landis.
William Miller.
James Murray.
Michael Mosser.
Jacob Michael.
Felix Miller.
Wendel Michael.
Samuel Matson.
Samuel Mosser.
Jacob Miller
Jacob Mark.
Joshua McQueen.
John Nace.



HISTOBY OF YORK COUNTY.



Michael Peter.
Peter Peter.
Jacob Pflieger.
Frederick
George Rees.
William Reicliard.
Jobn Ritz.
John Reichard.
James Shaw.
Michael Seitz.
Samuel Smith.
Widpw Shatter.
Henry Shetter.
Daniel Shuey.
Mathias Stewart.
Martin Stuck.
Jacob Streevig.
Henry Swartz.
Peter Sprenkle.
Barnet Spangler.
Widow Spangler.

Jacob



John Stewart.
John Shumaker.
Conrad Shindler.
George Spangler.
Hon. James Smith.
John Shangler.
Peter Wolf.
Ludwig Waltman.
Henry Waltman.
Martin Weller.
Abraham Welchans.
Martin Weiser.
Stoffel Wolf ord.
Philip Wagner.
Peter Weiderright.
Philip Weil.
Jacob Winter.
Jasper Yates (Judge).
Henry Yessler.
Abraham Yost.
Nicholas Yost.
Zeller.



Jacob Bidner.
John Bush.
Michael Grim.
James Hamilton.
Nicholas Lentz.
Jacob Pfiieger.
John Roth.



SINGLE MEN.

Jacob Shedler.
Jacob Sheffer.
Jacob Shearer.
Jacob Smith.
Charles Spangler.
George Spangler.
George Striebig.
George Swartz.



ST. John's lutheban and eeformed church.

This church is located south of Dallastown,
and is familiarly known as "Blimyer's
Church." Among the original German set-
tlers of this locality, an organization was ef-
fected as early as 1748(?) and a small log-



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 146 of 218)