John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 147 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 147 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


house for church and school was built. The
pastor served also as teacher. It was then
the only church for a large extent of territory,
in which there are now more than a dozen
churches of different denominations. Tradi-
tion says some of the members who wor-
shiped here a century ago, came a distance of
twelve miles. The religious exercises, for more
than a hundred years, were purely German,
and many of their pastors were Germans.
The following-named Lutheran clergymen
officiated before 1812: Kevs. John Reyman
(Raiman), George Berger, Conrad Raiman,
son of the first clergyman. There have been
others, whose names cannot now be obtained
from the records. Rev. John Herbst, who
organized Lebanon Church became pastor in
1813; Rev. George Stecher in 1820; Rev. A.
Geanal, in 1830; Rev. J. Harman, 1848;
Rev. Jacob Kempfer, in 1852; Rev. John
Conoway in 1867; Rev. F. Warner, in 1873,
and Rev. E. Lenhart, the present pastor, who
resides in Dallastown, assumed charge in
1882.

Among the first reformed clergymen of this
church was the celebrated Rev. Wilhelm Ot-
terbein. In the pastorate of the German
Reformed congregation atBlymyer's Church,



he was succeeded by Revs. Rudesil, Jacob
Friesz, F. A. Scholl in 1813; G. Hoblestein
in 1823; Jacob Myers; F. Hurst, who preached
the doctrines of the Universalists, and after-
ward joined that denomination; F. W. Van-
dersloot in 1830; D. Gring in 1862 and R
Smith. The last pastor was Rev. Rahauser.
At present the Reformed congregation has no
pastor. Some of the old members and church
officers are John Geesey, Christian Blymire,
Michael Albright, Adam Flinchbaugh, Theo-
balt Sherer, John Riechard, John House'
holder, Ulrich Neff, Herman Miller, John A.
Innerst and Christian Dohm. The present
building of brick is the third one erected here.

DALLASTOWN.
This town is situated on an inclined plane,
sloping toward the northwest, just beyond
the terminus of the York & Chanceford
Turnpike, on an eminence 656 feet above sea
level and seven miles from York. From the
south end of the borough, an extended and
beautiful landscape view is afforded the ob-
server. The fruitful and prosperous York
Valley in all its beauty and loveliness, is
laid out before him, like a grand panorama.
Dallastown has many new and comfortable
homes, and has greatly improved and increasd
rapidly in population during the past few
years, owing to the cigar industry. About
200 of the citizens are employed in making
cigars in the thirty-eight factories of the
town. In the year 1884 about 25,000,000
cigars were shipped to market from Dal-
lastown. Many of them, however, were
made in the neighboring townships and
bought up by the dealers of this town. J. F.
Spatz, Jacob Sechrist, Adam Kohler and W.
H. Peters are the leading shipping merchants
of Dallastown engaged in the cigar trade.
From statistics and facts obtained in the rev-
enue office at York, we are allowed the priv-
ilege of placing this town at the head of the
list in the cigar industry in York County.

When Founded. — Although the surround-
ing land is now fertile and productive, it was
not so in 1841, when ex-sheriff James Peeling,
now of York, purchased a tract of ninety-
five acres of land for $500, most of which is
now the site of Dallastown. This tract, for
many years before, had been a parade or
muster ground for the militia, and conse-
quently was an open common. It was the

' northern limit of what was known as the
"York Barrens." The first year Mr. Peeling
owned this land he could not make one-half
ton of hay from the entire ninety-five acres,

I but in the year 1848 he sold nearly $100
worth of hay. The landwas improved by fertil-



YORK TOWNSHIP.



721



izers. Jonathan Minnich owned a house and
a small tract of land; and Simon Plymire
kept a hotel before the surrounding land was
purchased by Mr. Peeling. James Edgar
kept the first store. The town did not grow
rapidly during its early history. Never being
regularly laid out, nearly all the houses are on
one street, which is a mile long. The popu-
lation in 1870 was 287; in 1880, was 486.
Through the kindness of W. H. Minnich we
have ascertained the present population
(1885) to be 610.

Name.— The name Dallastown was given
to it during the presidential campaign of
1844, in honor of that eminent statesman,
George M. Dallas, of Philadelphia, who was
elected and served as vice-president of the
United States with such distinguished honor,
under the Polk administration. Z. S. Shaw
was the first postmaster. He was followed
by Adam F. Geesy, ex-county treasurer; J.
R. Green and William Kaab, who has served
since 1878.

Incorporation. — The town was incorporated
into a borough in 1867. F. S. Heisler was
the iirst burgess. E'or the year 1884 A. V.
Martman was the chief burgess. Council-
men — George Sechrist, David Dise, Daniel
Sechrist, Henry Seeger, Charles Kohler and
George Rei del.

Business Places. — Besides the thirty-eight
cigar factories mentioned, Adam Kohler has,
for a number of years, kept a store of gen-
eral merchandise; C. H. Keesy, store and
hotel for nine years; Ambrose Helder, furni-
ture store and undertaker. The medical pro-
fession is represented by Dr. Lawson, an old
practitioner, and Dr. A. P. T. Grove, of the
College of Physicians and Surgeons of Balti-
more; dentistry by J. B. Glatfelter; Z. S.
Shaw and W. G. B. Johnson are justices of



CHURCHES.

Church of the United Brethren in Christ. —
The first religious services of this denomina-
tion, in and around Dallastown, were held in
the private houses of Jacob Sechrist, Jona-
than Neff, Jacob Hartman, John Keller and
John Dougherty, until 1850, when the pres-
ent comfortable brick church was built at a
cost of $1,500. The corner-stone was laid
and church dedicated by Rev. J. C. Smith, of
York. It was then named "Bethlehem
United Brethren Church, of Dallastown."
The services, ever since organization, have
been conducted in both the English and Ger-
man languages by the following-named cler-
gymen: Revs. Raber, Enterline, Wentz,
Brown, Grim, Tripner, Corl. Young, Crau-



1 mer and Lightner. Rev. L. Kohr, since 1882.
This church is the central point of the Dal-
lastown Circuit of the United Brethren
Church. The parsonage of this circuit ad-
joins Bethlehem Church.

St. Paul's Lutheran and Reformed Church
is located near the north end of the borough

I of Dallastown. The land upon which the
building stands was purchased of Henry
Miller for 140. The corner-stone was laid on
Whitmonday, 1855, when services were con-
ducted by Revs. A. H. Lochman, J. Martin,
F. W. Vandersloot, Daniel Ziegler and the

I pastor, Rev. Kempfer. On the following
Whitmonday, 1856, the building was dedi-
cated by the same clergymen. The contrac-
tor was Charles Neflf, who also built several
other churches in the town and vicinity. It
is a brick structure, 37|x47 J feet, with tower
and bell. It cost about $2,000. The build-
ing committee were H. Miller, elder; J. Mit-
zel and H. Miller, deacons of the Lutheran
congregation; P. Raab, elder; J. Peeling and
C. Neif, deacons of the Reformed congrega-
tion. The following-named ministers have
served this congregation since its organiza-
tion: Lutheran — Revs. Jacob Kempfer, 1855
to 1860; Rev. John Conoway, 1860 to 1870;
Rev. Peter "Warner, 1870 to 1881; Rev. E.
Lenhart, the present pastor began November
14, 1882. To him we are greatly indebted
for the facts herein given. Reformed minis-
ters — Rev. F. W. Vandersloot organized a con-
gregation in the place in May, 1854, and re-
mained until 1868; he was succeeded for one
year only by Rev. David Bossier; Rev. Rein-
hart Smith was chosen in September, 1866,
and is still pastor. Previous to 1870 the
Union Sunday-school was held one year in
St. Paul's Church, and the next in the United
Brethren Church. During that year denom-
inational schools were established. Member-
ship at St. Paul's Sunday-school in 1885 was
251 pupils. This church was incorporated
in August, 1864. The board of trustees are
Solomon Kauffman, J. F. Spatz and J. Se-
christ. A steeple and bell have lately been
added to the church. The church member-
ship is 150 communicants.

St. Joseph's Catholic Church. — The lot for
this Catholic Church was donated by Jamea
Peeling. The fine stone church now standing

! was built in 1850, at a cost of $1,800. Rev.
James A. Huber is the present officiating
pastor, and resides at New Freedom. He also
ministers to the wants of two congregations
in that locality. The membership of St.
Joseph's Church is about twenty families, or
about eighty members. Service, English and

I German. There is no parochial day school.



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY.



A Sunday-school is conducted by. members.
The graveyard adjoins the church.

Schools. — It is claimed by the citizens that
the intellectual and moral growth of the town
is most encouraging. The school term has
been lengthened to six months. A two-story
brick building is now used for the two
schools of 124 members. This building will
soon be enlarged to meet the demands. For
the year 1884-85 John Fiddler taught secon-
dary and Martha J. Wantz primary school at
a salary of $35 per month each. The State
appropriation is $125 per year; A. J. Hart-
man, president, and Adam Kohler, secretary of
school board. The other directors are Dr.
L. S. Lawson, Martin Simon, Jonathan Geesy
and Dr. A. P. Grove.

Cornet Band. — The Dallastown Cornet
Band was chartered in 1862. Adam Kohler
is the present leader, and has been a member
since its organization. The other members
are Henry Inners, JohnW. Minnich, Samuel
J. Neff, William Kohler, M. Hose, D. A.
Minnich, C. Heisler, O. Warfel, P. G. Shaw,
A. J. Minnich, F. Spatz, G. Barshinger, A.
Snyder, D. Barshinger, J. E. Grim, H. Q.
Sechrist, 0. W. Hess, S. Shaw and O. J.
Hartman.

RED LION BOROUGH.

This thriving town was laid out during
the centennial year, by Mrs. Catharine Meyer.
The survey was made by Jacob E. Wallace,
of East Prospect. It is located on the highest
point of the York & Peach Bottom Railway,
892 feet above the sea level and 536 feet
above York. The down grade on the railroad
toward York, for the first four miles, is 105
feet to the mile. A train will run nearly to
York from here without an engine. In the
other direction the grade is about eighty-five
feet to the mile toward Felton. It is ten
miles by rail to York. The old Wrightsville
and Baltimore wagon route passes through it.

Origin of Name. — The Red Lion Tavern
was a characteristic old time public inn, with
the picture of a lion painted red on the
swinging sign in front of the house. Tradi-
tion says the lion was not a voracious one
that scared away thirsty visitors, but a mild,
peaceful sort of fellow, with an inviting
look.

In the year 1852 John D. Meyer, a thrifty
German, purchased a tract of land, a portion
of both York and Windsor Townships, on
which most of the town is built. In the
original survey 750 acres were included in
the borough; at present there are 350 acres.
When the railroad was built, the station at
this point was named Red Lion, after the hotel.



Incorporation. — The town did not increase
much until after it was incorporated in the
year 1880; since that time it has continued
to prosper. There were about twenty-five
houses built in. 1884. Matthew Gable, in
1876, built the first house after the town was
laid out. Henry Wegman was the first bur-
gess. He was twice reelected, and was suc-
ceeded, in 1884, by John W. Burger, with J.
B. Herman, Lewis Blockinger, Leander
Hess, William Paules, J. A. Miller and
Daniel Grim as councilmen. Main Street
passes north and south, Broadway crosses
it at right angles. First Avenue, Meyer
A.venue, Charles and High Streets have been
lately opened. The population is about
400.

Business Industry. — Mrs. Catharine Meyer,
the founder of the town, owns the depot
building, in which she conducts a store.
Miller Bros, deal in general merchandise,
grain, phosphates, farming implements, coal
and lumber. Samuel Sprengle owns a steam
saw- mill, and deals in feed, fertilizers and
coal. There are about thirty cigar factories,
which give employment to a large nvimber of
the citizens. The Red Lion Brick Company
is a new enterprise. William Knaub runs a
steam planing-mill, manufacturing doors,
sashes, etc. There are two hotels and several
new stores.

Bethany Church. — Near the center of the
town stands Bethany Church. It belongs to
the Dallastown Circuit of the United Brethren
Church, and was built at a cost of $1,800,
and dedicated November 24, 1882 — Rev. L.
Peters, presiding elder, officiating. The
building committee were J. R. Green, Matthew
Gable, Daniel Weaver and Samuel Sprengle.
The church membership, 1885, was twenty-
nine. A Sunday-school of seventy pupils
and teachers is superintended by J. G. Gohn.
Rev. L. Kohr is pastor. The building has
a bell and tall spire.

St. John's Reformed Church. — Mrs. Cath-
arine Meyer donated to theReformed Church a
lot 175x60 feet, on which was built the present
white frame church. It was dedicated October
8, 1882. The ministers present were Revs.
J. O. Miller, Aaron Spangler, and A. Wanner,
of York. The building committee were Adam
Gebhart, Seth Minnich, Jacob Miller, John
Wise, Jr., and William Knaub. Thecost was
$1, 800. The people of the Reformed Church,
living in Red Lion and its immediate vicin-
ity, hold their church membership in the
Emanuel Church, Frysville. Since the
dedication of the church, the pastor at Frys-
ville, the Rev. A. Wanner, D. D., has regu-
larly preached in this church once in two



YORK TOWNSHIP.



weeks. It was under his supervision that the
church was built. A Sunday-school of
seventy-five pupils and teachers is superin-
tended by Robert A. Thompson. From the
belfry of this church, on a clear day, the city
of Lancaster is plainly visible; Columbia,
Marietta, Wrightsville, etc., are within the
horizon.

School Building. — Immediately after the
incorporation of the town. Rev. E. G. Will-
iams, Seth Minnich, Matthew Gable, William
Knaub, Hiram Dill and Moses Smith were
elected school directors. By this board, a
schoolhouse was built at a cost of $1,200, of
gray sandstone.

LONGSTOWN.

Longstown is a hamlet, located in the ex-
treme eastern end of York Township. John
Long for many years kept a store there, and
his father had a tavern on the same site.

A United Brethren Church was built in
the immediate vicinity about 1869. Caleb
Horn and Jacob Kreidler were the first
trustees.

MOUNT UNION CHAPEL.

Mount Union Chapel, on road leading from
Long.^town to Red Lion, was bailt in 188"2,
and is used by United Brethren in Christ-
and Evangelical Association, whose com,
bined membership is about fifty. The trustees
are William Sechrist and Barnhart Holtzap-
ple.

INNEKSVILLE CHAPEL.

Rev. J. C. Smith, in 1868, first preached
once every four weeks at this place. It soon
after became a regular appointment in the
York Circuit of the Church of the United
Brethren in Christ, under Rev. A. H. Rice,
who was instrumental in having built the
present chapel in 1872. It now belongs to
Dallastown charge. The membership is fifty ;
Sunday-school membership, sixty; trustees —
William Wineka, Henry Wineka and Henry
Stabely. Around this church there is a pleas-
ant little village.

PINE GKOVE CHUECH.

Pine Grove Church is located about three
miles south of York, east of the Baltimore
Turnpike, in York Township. Reis H. Alt-
house and Benjamin Hengst were the first
ministers of this church to preach in the
vicinity. The religious services which they
conducted were held in a school bouse. A
very comfortable and convenient church was
built some years ago. A Sunday-school of
ninety-five members regularly meets in it,
and is superintended by Rev. G. Jackson.



M-ANUFACTURES.

York Paper Mills are located on a branch
of the Codorus, about three miles southeast
of York. Nearly a century ago the manu-
facture was begun at this place, and has since
been carried on by various parties. They
are now owned by W. Irving Clark, of New
York City, and superintended by F. P. Mar-
shall. The site is a good one for washing
the raw material from which paper is made.
The present owner manufactures different
varieties of tissue paper out of jute and
bemj:). The jute is obtained from the East
Indies; only the lower part of the jute stock
is used for paper, the upper part is valuable
for bagging and for ropes. The thread of
this paper is formed by water combining-
with the pulp of the material used. The
capacity of the mill is 1,200 pounds a day.
It is in operation both day and night. Cylin-
der machinery is used, which makes the
grain of the paper oneway. The machinery
is run by a fifteen horse-power engine, and
the entire mill by an eighty horse-power en-
gine. Manufactured paper is shipped direct
to consumers from the mill. Seventeen
workmen are employed, under the direction
of A. J. McKeon, as foreman. A dwelling
house and forty acres of land belong to the
paper-mill property.

A well-grounded tradition has it that the
place now known as Yost's Mill, on the
east branch of the Codorus, is the site of a
very old mill, built when the Indians, with
wonder and admiration, came from the neigh-
borhood to observe this curious improvement
over their slow and imperfect method of
grinding the corn they raised. It was prob-
ably built in the year 1752, as nearly as can be
determined, and was the only one of the kind
for a long distance around. The first known
proprietor was Henry Sence, who worked it
for many years during the last century. The
following persons, in order, have since pos-
sessed it: Jacob Keiser, Jr.; Jacob Keiser,
Sr. ; Daniel Leather, Michael Hartman, John
Glessick, Samuel Flinchbaugh and Jacob
Yost, who has been the owner for a period of
twenty-five years. The original mill had but
one pair of stones; the one now standing is tha
third that has been built on the same site.

Henry's mill up the same stream a few
miles, is also an old one. as well as Kridler's
down the stream. Near Dietz's Mill stands
a dwelling-house, formerly occupied by Abra-
ham Yost: it is one hundred and tweny-sis
years old. Arnold's Mill was built ninety-five
years ago. Sixty years ago, and for many years
before, a pious Quaker, named John Thomas,



724



HISTORY or YOEK COUNTY.



successfully taught an English school among
the Germans, near Yost's Mill.

Keystone Woolen Mill and Cotton Factory,
along the Codorus, was once an important in-
dustry in the township. There is now a saw-
mill in that locality.

George Musser, in his day, was familiarly
linown as " pan-smith Musser " in York, and
over the entire county. He was a lively,
good-natured individual, who owned a saw-
mill and a forge for the manufacture of iron
implements, located on his farm along the
Peach Bottom road, now owned by Harry
Strickler, and situated a few miles southeast
af town. He made iron pans and ladles in
large quantities, and sold them by wholesale.
The firm of P. A. & S. Small, early in their
'teusinesB career, purchased a great many of
those valuable utensils.

The York Powder Works in this township
were once an important industry.

PUBLIC SCHOOLS.

York Township has twelve public schools
as follows: Stiles' Innersville, Jessop's,
Taylor's, Brenneman's, Kohler's, Sprenkle's,
Mark's, Keener's, Adamsville, Nace's and
Croll's. The State appropriation for 1884
was 1518.83.



THE TOWNSHIP OF WINDSOR.

A PETITION was presented to the court
Jl\- at York in 1757, signed by John
Wright, Jr., and others, asking that "Hal-
-1am Township be divided by a line on Stony
Ridge, running across the valley to the next
i-idge of hills on the south side of Grist
Creek Valley, and also eastward along the
last named ridge to the river Susquehanna."
The above mentioned line formed the northern
^nd eastern boundary of the new township
•of York, which then included what is now
Windsor, Lower Windsor, York and a portion
of Spring Garden. York Township, thus
formed, was very large; consequently, in
1758 the following petition was presented at
the April session of court: "We, your hum-
ble petitioners, hereby state that when the
Townships of York and Hallam were in one,
a division line was obtained which did not
prove convenient or satisfactory; therefore
we request that commissioners be appointed
.by your worshipfuls to lay off the new town-
ship." The presiding justice, Thomas Ar-
mor, then appointed John Shultz, John Schy-
rack, Christian Shank and Michael Bart, to



view and run the boundary lines, which, ac-
cording to their confirmed report at the nest
session of court, was as follows:

Beginning at the plantation of Peter Peterman,
thence with the road to David Hunter's, thence with
the same to Shrewsbury Township (now Springfield
and Hopewell), thence with the same township and
the township of Chanceford to the Susquehanna, and
up the same to Hallam Township, thence along the
middle of that ridge of hills to Peter Petejrman's
plantation and place of beginning; which last de-
scribed township is to be called by the name of
Windsor.

The township thus described constituted
what is now Windsor and Lower Windsor,
which formed one district for nearly 100
years. Upon the erection of Lower Wind-
sor in 1838, the limits were contracted to its
present area. The beautiful and historic
name "Windsor" was doubtless suggested by
Thomas Armor, a man of great force of char-
acter, and who was then a large land owAer.

Windsor in 1880 had a population of
2,154; valuation of real estate in 1884 was
$813,000; number of taxables 590.

The population of the original township in
1783 was 1,118: number of barns that year
190; number of houses 184; number of mills
10; number of acres of assessable lands
22,054.

The following is a list of the taxables for
1783:

George Addick, still, 200 acres £278

George Able, 88 acres 117

Michael Albright, ground rents, 50 acres 69

William Allison, 100 acres 139

Christian Allhous 13

John Arndt, 175 acres 194

George Anstein, 300 acres 348

Philip Byer, 2 stills, 112 acres 536

John Barr, 1 mill, 212 acres 570

Widow Bengel, 90 acres 88

Michael Baymiller, 10 acres 45

Henry Barr, 141 acres 631

Conrad Beverson, 5 acres 14

Nicholas Baker 30

Conrad Brubaker, 1 saw-mill, 136 acres 558

Tert Bonher, 169 acres 251

George Bonher, £6 gi-ound rent. . ; 23

Henry Busser, £9 ground rent

Jacob Berckle, 175 acres 173

Widow Cross, 50 acres 100

John Dellinger, 100 acres 100

Jacob Dellinger, 100 acres 120

George Deisson, 100 acres 122

Abraham Demuth

Henry Dohm, 150 acres 136

Thomas Diaon, 60 acres 68

Ulnch EUeberger, 150 acres

Sebastian Edie 34

Jacob Erb, 149 acres 851

Jacob Erb, 59 acres

JohnEb}-, 120 acres 199

Jacob Eihert, 100 acres 117

Nathan Forsythe, 100 acres 394

Philip Pry 36

Frederick Pelty, 120 acres 145

Co-rad Fry, 83 acres 101

Peter Fry, 53 acres '. 74

Barnet Fry, 110 acres 144



WINDSOR TOWNSHIP.



Frt'iUlila Foster, 160 acres 133

Jacob Fister, 187 acres 262

Jacob Fry, 2 stills, 80 acres 112

Frederick Fry, 4 stills, 52 acres 65

Widow Grove, 100 acres 394

Andrew Galbreath, 124 acres 208

George Gardner, 84 acres 104

Rudolph Goldstet 16

Jacob Gipe 10

Abraham Gallagher, 144 acres 138

Philip Gohn 43

Jacob Geiger, 160 acres 290

Adam Gohn 40

Widow Gohn, 250 acres 281

David Good. 50 acres 100

David Good, Jr., 200 acres 316

Frederick Glasbrenner, 150 acres 136

Widow Geiger, 172 acros 103

James Heines, 101 acres 101

James Herrington, 140 acres 280

John Holder, 160 acres 318

Jacob Heltzel, 200 acres 340

Widow Hershiuger, 200 acres 369

AdamHeindel, 210 acres 311

Stoffel Heindel, 130 acres 180

John Heckendorn, 175 acres 349

John Jones, 20 acres 62

Peter Imsweiler, 126 acres 130

Anthony Keller, 100 acres 169

Michael Kauflelt, 275 acres 381

Kegeritz, 110 acres .54

Kaltreiter, 110 acres 140

Jacob KaufEelt, 285 acres 469

Jacob Kimmerly, 97 acres 119

Frederick Lebei-knecht, 40 acres 68

John Lipbart, 200 acres 269

Jacob Leber, 116 acres 129

John Landis, 200 acres 285

Conrad Leber, 10 acres 83

Samuel Landis, 200 acres 299

Philip Lantz, 113 acres 170

Andrew Lautz. 200 acres 238

William Liggett, 50 acres 72

Jacob Myer,112 acres 700

Henry Michael, 100 acres 170

John Mann, 200 acres 350

John McKesson, 300 acres 280

Philip Milhole, 173 acres 195

Abraham Mosser, 142 acres 186

John McCoy, 150 acres 153

Jacob Neas, 200 acres 208



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 147 of 218)