John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 149 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 149 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Henry Amend was the carpenter, and he was
assisted by Michael Kautfelt. Amend ac-
cepted no pay, so the community raised mon-
ey quietly and purchased a tine suit of
clothes which was presented to him. This
was not of the characteristic "linsey-wool-
sey" of that day, but cloth of fine quality,
says the tradition. The church was dedi-
cated in 1764. It lasted about thirty-six
years. It was resolved in 1801 to build a
new brick church. A committee was ap-
pointed, consisting of Michael Kauffelt and
Anthony Keller, Lutherans, and Conrad Le-
ber and Gen. Jacob Drift, Reformed, Mathias
Becker was treasurer. After the church was
completed, an organ was purchased from
Christian Rathfon, of Lancaster. A pipe
organ was bought of Joseph Small, of York,
in 1816, which was used in this church un-
til a few years ago. The records of the Lu-
theran Church book show that the following
named persons: Revs. Schaum, Heckheimer,
Bager, Raus, Conwell and Lischy, con-



ducted missionary services among the early
settlers until 1769. Revs. Nicholas Knrtz
and Jacob Goering preached at York and
at this place each regularly at different pe-
riods until 1807, at which time Rev. Goer-
ing died, while pastor of the First Lutheran
Church, of York. In 1809, Rev. J. G.
Schmucker became pastor. In 1814, this
church and the Kreutz Creek Church were
separated from the York charge. Rev.
Charles Morris officiated in this church from
1814 to 1818, when he resigned and entered
business. For many years he was known
very familiarly in York and the county, as
proprietor of the "Morris Drug Store."
Rev. John Herbst was next pastor for one
year. Rev. John G. Graber (Craver), was
called in 1819, and remained as a devoted
pastor until 1834. He was the father of
John Craver, connected with York County
National Bank. Rev. Graber lived during
his entire pastorate, in the present residence
of James Kell, of York.

In 1835, Rev. Jonathan Oswald succeeded.
He introduced English preaching gradually,
until one-half the services were conducted
in that language. Rev. Dr. Oswald was
like a father among his people, and during
his long ministerial labors of forty years,
was successful in greatly increasing the
membership of the church. He preached
his last sermon to this congregation on Sun-
day, June 20, 1875, and now resides in-
York.

The present church was built in 1867.
It is located on a beautiful site, an extended
view over a large scope of country on both
sides of the Susquehanna, is afforded the ob-
server. P. AV. Keller was the contractor,
John Libhart and Samuel Leber, Reformed,
and George Keller and Samuel Gilbert, Lu-
therans, formed the building committee.
The audience room up stairs, is large and
comfortable, and the ceiling is beautifully
frescoed. Jacob M. Lieberknecht is the
present sexton and organist.

To the east of the church is the old grave-
yard, where silently sleep many of the early
inhabitants of Conojohela Valley. The names
on the tombstones indicate that they were
Germans. Some of the inscriptions are in
their native tongue.

To the west of the church is a handsomely
kept cemetery, containing many large mar-
ble monuments. Near the entrance is a mar-
ble column, dedicated to Peter Keller, who
recently died aged ninety- three years.

A parsonage, now occupied by the sexton,
and fifteen acres of land adjoining, is a part
of the church property. Rev. L, K. Sechrist



LOWER WINDSOR TOWNSHIP.



is the present pastor of the Lutheran con-
gregation, with a membership of about 260
communicants. He also preaches at Kreutz
Creek.

The records do not show when the Re-
formed congregation was organized nor who
was the pastor, from the time of the erec-
tion of the church, to 177L From this
date to 1774, it is inferred that Rev. Daniel
Wagner was its pastor. He was succeeded,
after an interval, by Revs. James R. Reiley,
G. Geistweit, D. Zacharias, D. D., D. Zieg-
ler, D. D., R. Rahauser, E. G. Williams
and A. Wanner, D. D., who took charge of
the congregation April 1, 1882. The num-
ber of Reformed members is 100.

The Sunday-school in this church was or-
ganized in 1840, in a achoolhouse, about
three-quarters of a mile west from the
church. Henry Y. Slaymaker, of Margar-
etta Furnace, was the first superintendent.
In 1857, it was removed to the church, where
it has since been continued as a union
school. After its removal to the church,
John Hellerman was its first superintendent.
The school in 1885, numbered 204 members,
and was superintended by Reuben Paules.



From Beard's tannery to the Lutheran and
Reformed Church, a distance of about three
miles on the York and East Prospect road,
are a lai-ge number of fine country homes.
Many of these residences are new, and make
quite an attractive appearance. Nearly mid-
way between the two places mentioned is the
site of " Kauifelt's Store." This place, for
nearly a hundred years, went by th at name, and
has been a center of interest and importance in
the township for more than a century. At
Kauffelt's Store was the place for annual
muster and battalion parade of militia days.
These parades, like all other militia parades,
were enjoyed by large and motley crowds,
more intent on frolic and roystering than im-
provement in military discipline. A few
years ago the property changed hands and
the mercantile Isusiness is now conducted by
J. B. Budding & Bro. By the request of
Dr. J. W. Barcroft, now of Washington, D.
C, the postoffice has been given the name of
Yorkana. It is seven miles distant from
York.

Early in the present century two men, one
named Miller and the other Jacobs, each
platted a town here. One place was called
Millerstown and the other Jacobstown. Mil-
ler succeeded in selling a few lots, and a
small collection of houses in the vicinity



was for many years given the name of Mil-
lersville. Only recently has the name York-
ana been given to it.

In October, 1818, the Harrisburg Repub-
lican advertised fourteen lots in Jacobs-
town, and forty lots and ten outlots in Mil-
lerstown to be sold in that city for the direct
tax of 1816, which had not been paid by the
non-resident owners. Both of these men
upon laying out their towns had disposed of
the lots by lottery. This plan of originating
a town was very common about the year
1812 and a few years later.

BE.iED's TANNERY.

The only tannery now in Lower Windsor
is located just beyond the stream called "the
head of Kreutz Creek," on the road from
York to East Prospect. It has long been
known as Beard's Tannery. It was started
about eighty years ago by Daniel Hengst, of
whom Frederick Burg purchased it and con-
ducted the business until he sold it to Joseph
Beard. In 1836 John E. Beard, Esq., began
the business, and continued nearly forty
years — Frank and Harry Beard were the
proprietors. The present firm name is John
E. Beard & Son. The bark used is from the
chestnut-oak still obtained in the adjoining
woods.

EVANGELICAL CHURCH.

The frame church which now welcomes
the surrounding populace of Yorkana within
its doors was built by the Evangelical Asso-
ciation in the year 1867. The first trustees
were Joshua Heindel and Philip Mitzel.
Another church stood upon the same site for
forty years. At present a large Sunday-
school regularly meets here. Rev. E. Crumb-
ling is pastor of Millersvillo Circuit, includ-
ing this and other churches. B. Frank
Beard is superintendent of the Sunday-
school. The church membership is eighty-
five, and the number of pupils in the Sunday-
school is 150.



EAST PROSPECT BOROUGH.

At the base of the Conojohela Valley, lo-
cated on a charmingly beautiful spot, stands
the borough of East Prospect. It is eleven
miles from York, on what was for a long
time called the York and Dritt's Ferry road,
and about two miles from the Susquehanna.
John A. Jacobs laid out the town in 1849.
The first house is still standing, owned by
William E. OJeweiler. A dry goods and
grocery store is now kept in it by George
Kise. There are several stores and a hotel
in the town. The maniifacture of cigars is



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY.



an important industry. The early inhab-
itants were undecided what name to give the
town until the very appropriate one of Pros-
pect was thought of. From Centre Square,
looking eastward, a magnificent panorama is
presented to the observer, extending a long
distance into the counties of Lancaster and
Dauphin, embracing a landscape view unri-
valled for beauty and attractiveness. To the
west toward York is the equally fertile and
productive Conojohela Valley.

Since there was already a post town in Bat-
ler County this State, called Prospect, the n ame
East Prospect was selected. The town was
incorporated in 1874. The survey was made
by Harry Winter, of York, now a resident of
Iowa. Maple Street runs east and west.
The beautiful homes on it are now comforta-
bly shaded by luxuriant maple trees of differ-
ent varieties. Main Street, running north
and south, was the first to be built up.

Zioii's Church of the Evangelical Associa-
tion, located in the center of the village, is
a well designed stone structure, surmounted
by a tall spire. In the belfry is a fine toned
bell, which regularly calls the surrounding
populace to the worship of the Triune God.
The surpassing beauty and excellence of
the music of this bell is well known. Its
welcome sound arouses the most uncon-
cerned to the responsibilities of their re-
ligious duties. The present church was
built in 1882, at a cost of 13,500, contractor,
Jacob Smith. The building committee were
Samuel Burg, Henry Burg. Henry Kise,
Jacob Smith and Henry Barshinger. An old
graveyard, still well cared for, adjoins the
church.

On the same site that the new building
stands, for nearly half a century stood an old
stone church, in which the members of the
same denomination worshiped. Rev. Al-
bright, the founder of the Evangelical Asso-
ciation, preached in this vicinity during the
time of his ministry.

The present membership is about 150 com-
municants. A Sunday-school under the
superintendency of George Kise, Jr., meets
regularly in Zion's Church.

THE CEMETERY.

A short distance to the northeast of the
borough, on an eminence overlooking the
town, the cemetery is located. A charter
was granted in 1868, and it was laid out soon
thereafter. There are quite a number of fine
granite and marble monuments in it. The
board of directors are: Henry Kise, presi-
dent; Henry Burg, secretary; Samuel Burg,



treasurer; William Burg, William Helder
and Daniel Leber.

CHDECHES.

North Trinity Church- — This church of the
Evangelical Association is located about
three miles northeast of East Prospect, on
the road leading to Wrightsville. It is a
neat frame structure, with an adjoining
graveyard. The value of this church and
land adjoining is about $1,400.

Ebenezer Church, of the Evangelical Asso-
ciation, is located at Long Level, about three
miles southeast of East Prospect. It was
built in 1872, and is. a brick structure, di-
mensions 40x60 feet. It was remodeled un-
der the pastorate of Rev. Schleh, and dedi-
cated September 14, 1884, by Bishop Bow-
man, of Allentown, Penn. The value of it
is about S2,500.

New Salem Church. — This church was built
about 1840, by the Evangelical Association.
It is situated five miles south of East Pros-
pect, near the borders of Chanceford Town-
ship, about a mile south of Martinsville.
There is a very old cemetery near by. The
new church was rebuilt in 1880. It is a
handsome wooden structure, and cost about
Sl,600.

All the above described Evangelical
churches, located in the east end of Lower
Windsor, including Zion's Church at East
Prospect Borough, belong to the East Pros-
pect charge of the Central Pennsylvania Con-
ference. This denomination ia a Methodistic
body, which has a well defined dogma of
faith and a ritual. The form of church gov-
ernment is Episcopal, and the bishops are
chosen every four years.

Margaretta Church. — When the furnace
under Henry Y. Slaymaker was in its pros-
perity, he built a frame church near by. un-
der the auspices of the Presbyterian denom-
ination. Services were occasionally held by
visiting clergymen, and in the absence of a
preacher he frequently conducted the services
himself. There always was a strong bond of
attachment between Mr. Slaymaker and his
employes. One of the first Sunday-schools
I of the township, it is said, was held in this
j building about the year 1834. The church
J is still standing; occasionally services have
been held in it for several years past by the
Methodists.

FIRE INSURANCE COMPANY.

The Lower Windsor Fire Insurance Com-
pany was organized in 1879. It has been in
successful operation ever since. The present
board of directors are Joseph Gilbert, pres-




t./



L§M£e^J.t^



LOWER WINDSOR TOWNSHIP.



ident; Gerard C. Brown, secretary; Samuel
Burg, treasurer ; Henry Burg, H. H. Sprenkle,
Henry Thomaa. Rudolph Neiman, John
Tschoop, J. Lieberknecht, Samuel Libhart
and Jacob Leber.

SCHOOLS.

The interest in public education in this
township is manifest from the comfortable
appearance of the schoolhouses. They are
nearly all built of a hue quality of stone,
which is quarried in the township. They
are fourteen in number, with the following
names: Millersville, Will's, Leber's, Fitz-
kee's, Kline's, Shultz's, Furnace, Bentz's,
Pike's Peak, Gilbert's, Martinsville, Crosby's,
Neiman's and Cramer's. For the past year,
William S. Gilbert was president of the
school board; Reuben A. Paules, secretaiy;
Peter H. Kline, treasurer; Barton Ruby,
Tobias Reeley and J. H. McGuigan, directors.

IRON OBE INTERESTS.

Margaretta Furnace, whose history will be
found on page 489 in this work, smelted a
great deal of ore, much of which was ob-
tained in the immediate vicinity of the fur-
nace. The banks were opened by the Slay-
makers, and later worked by Hahn & Himes.
The ores here obtained, were limonite, turgite
and iron hydrates generally, and contained
45 per cent of metallic iroQ. A kind of
black ore was at one time obtained, which
yielded, it was claimed, 60 per cent metallic
iron. Charcoal was used at the furnace for
the reduction of these ores, and the heat for
steam generation was procured by leading
the ignited gases from the tunnel head be-
neath the boilers. The foundry iron, made
at one time, sold at $55 per ton.

The Wrightsville Iron Company, and later
Skiles & Fry of Lancaster, obtained consid-
erable lump ore on George Keller's farm two
and one-half miles north of East Prospect.
The same firm wrought Daniel Leber's bank
near by.

John Small's bank near Margaretta, was
opened by Mr. Slaymaker. Lump and wash
ore were about equal in production at this
bank.

John Keller's bank, northwest of Margar-
etta, was opened by the owner, and 1,000
tons obtained during the six months it was
wrought.

James Curran's bank, one mile south of
the furnace, was opened by Eckert & Guil-
ford about 1840. and worked after them in
order by George Heindel, John Givens and
James Currans. The ore was a shelly limo-
nite.



Two miles northwest of the furnace is
what is known as Barcroft's bank, opened by
Henry Y. Slaymaker, in 1840, and later
leased to Mr. Eagle of Marietta, The ore
obtained was of plate- like structure, hard,
flinty and tenacious. Most of the ore was
lump, lying in deep deposits of clay. Mus-
selman & Watts worked this bank for some
time and obtained from it 19,000 tons of ore,
which produed 33Jj per cent metallic iron.
One mile west of this bank is Barley's bank,
opened about 1867, and worked two years.
1 In all, several hundred thousand tons of ore
I have been obtained in Lower Windsor since
1830.

HISTOEICAL NOTES.

Cabin Branch received its name from the
fact that the Indians built cabins along its
bank near the Susquehanna, on lands now
owned by Samuel and W^illiam Burg.

The Wrightsville & Chanceford Turnpike,
five miles in length, starts at the former
place, and extends across portions of Hellam

I and Lower Windsor to Jacob Himes' hotel.

\ The charter of this road was granted in 1881
to the company with permission to extend it
to Brogueville. L. E. Oleweiler and Peter
Gilbert have lumber yards at convenient
points along the pike.

The foundry owned by David Woodmansee,
was located about two and one-half miles from
East Prospect. A prosperous business was
once done at it. He became the first chief
burgess of East Prospect.

About the time when Margaretta Furnace
was in its prosperity, a store was started at
this place by John Keyser, who kept it six
years, and was succeeded by David Hengst,
now living at an advanced age in Freeport,

i 111. The next proprietor was John Bentz,
now of York, who remained eighteen years,
and was followed by Reuben A. Paules, who

1 for the past thirteen years enjoys a good
trade in general merchandise.

A Stage Line runs daily between East
Prospect and York for the purpose of carry-
ing the mail. The Stage goes to York in the
morning and returns in the evening. Will-
iam Bausman is the contractor.

Lower Windsor produces a large amount
of tobacco, and about 100,000 cigars are made
daily in the township, there being many fac-
tor! es.

The houses formerly owned by the proprie-
tors of Woodstock Forge, and occupied by
workmen, are now owned by different individ-
uals. There is now a hamlet there containing
seventy-five people.

George Young, living near East Prospect,
was a wagoner of the olden times, and made



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY.



many trips from Baltimore and York to
Wheeling and Pittsburgh, before the era of
railroads.

Dritt's Ferry, and a large tract of land
owned by Capt. Jacob Drilt, of Revolutionary
fame, was located along the river at the east-
ern extremity of Lower Windsor. It was later
known as the Bonham farm and is now owned
by Henry Barshinger. (See page 398.)

The Yorkana Band was organized July 12,
1882. Lower Windsor Band was organized
in 1875.

John Paules, now of Marietta, formerly
of ■ Lower Windsor, is ninety-three years
old.

Anstine's Falling-mill is one of the past in-
dustries of Lower Windsor.

On Sunday, November 6, 1819, the " Corn
and Gig House" of John Dritt, of this town-
ship, was destroyed by fire. A gig and 1,000
bushels of corn were burned.

Craleysville is an interesting hamlet in
the southern part of Lower Windsor.



THE TOWNSHIP OF CHANCEFORD.*

OHANCEFORD TOWNSHIP is bounded
on the north by Fishing Creek, which
separates it from Lower Windsor; east by
the Susquehanna River, extending from the
mouth of Fishing Creek to near Burkhol-
der's Ferry; west by the north branch of
Muddy Creek, which separates it from Wind-
sor and Hopewell Townships; and south by
Lower Chanceford Township; and contains
fifty and one-half square miles of territory.
Its population at the census of 1880 was
2,994.

In topography, the central portion is
gently rolling, and the parts bordering on
Fishing Creek and Muddy Creek are hilly,
and the part bordering on the Susquehanna
River is mountainous. The soil,- in the
northern half of the township, is exceed-
ingly rough and stony, while the southern
half is clean aud productive. The principal
stream is Otter Creek, which rises in the
western part of the township, and flows east
and southeast until it enters Lower Chance-
ford Township, a short distance from its
mouth at the river.

Chanceford and Lower Chanceford were
separated by an action of court, February
15, 1806; a division line was run by Jesse
Cornelius, surveyor, beginning at a chestnut

» By B. F. Porter, M. D.



tree, on land of James Gibson, at Muddy
Creek, and running northeast 2,430 perches,
to the Susquehanna River, near Burkholder's
Ferry. Jesse Cornelius recommended that
the township be called Sharon, but other
counsel prevailed, and the name of Chance-
ford, retained by the upper division, was
confirmed by the court in May, 1806.

The settlement of Chanceford was first
made in the southern half of the township,
about the year 1735, by the Scotch-Irish, a
line of whose settlements extends from New
Castle, Del., through the southern tier of
counties of Pennsylvania, to the West;
and a race that has furnished so many presi-
dents of the United States, successful gen-
erals of the army, and in every walk of life,
whether professional, civil or social, has
given evidence of the highest qualities of
humanity. The settlement of the northern
part of the township took place at a latter
date. After the Revolutionary war, some par-
oled Hessian prisoners located here. Much of
this part of the township, as before stated,
is very rough, and remained in the hands of
the proprietaries until the Revolution. The
Hessians brought their families with them.

The descendants of these people, under
the benign influence of the common schools,
and the general enlightenment of the age,
are good citizens.

Recurring to the original settlers, we
find them, as before stated, making a set-
tlement in a wilderness, and necessarily
enduring privations of which we of to-day
can form no idea, one of which, and
not the least was the want of timber for
building. The country having been burned
over by the Indians in order to improve their
hunting grounds, was nearly denuded of
timber; yet these hardy pioneers lx)ldly
meeting all disadvantages, built ujs homes
where they could worship God according to
the dictates of their own consciences.

Among the first buildings put up in the
township was a hotel or tavern, near what is
now known as the York and Peachbottom road;
of course it had none of the appointments of
a modern first- class hotel, but a rude build-
ing made of such material as was at hand,
at which the weary immigrant could ob-
tain rest and refreshment in his journey
toward the setting sun. It is told that
one of those travelers seeing that the house
had no sign, proposed to the inn keeper to
give him one, and suiting the action to the
word, hung up a wooden shoe, known as
a brogan, and said, "let that be the sign,
and henceforth let it be known as 'The
Brogue,' " which name it carries to this day.




A^^^ ^^-f^^^ c^«5^



CHANCEFOBD TOWN-SHIP.



735.



Pari passu with the settlement of the
township, came the church and the school-
house; of the former we had the first to have
been the Guinston cougrecration of the
United Presbyterian Church, then known as
the Associate Reformed Church, which was
organized in 1754; and of the latter three
are known to have existed before the Revo-
lution. The number seems small when com-
pared with the present number (sixteen), but
the results were even greater, comparatively,
for they learned to know theii' rights, and
the principles of liberty for which they have
given so much labor and self-denial; so that
when on the 19th of April, 1775, "a gale
from the North brought to their ears the
clash of resounding arms," we find them true
to the principles of liberty, and ready to seal
them with their blood. They shouldered
their arms and sought the tented field, and
even to this day in the language of the poet:

"Still from the sire the son doth hear
Of the stern strife, and carnage drear.

Of many a bloody tield.
Where shivered was Old England's spear.
And broken was her shield!"

Of tiieir special field of service we have but
meager accounts; this much we know, how-
ever, that two companies under Capts. Gra-
ham and Reed, left the township, and were
in the dreary winter encampment at Valley
Forge. We are also told that Lieut. William
Young of Col. McAllister's flying camp, a
Fort Washington prisoner, captured Novem-
ber 16, 1776, was exchanged December 8,
1780, at Elizabethtown, and returned to, his
home in Chance ford Township, York Co.,
Penn., a distance of 166 miles.

Among the successful men who are natives
of Chanceford, we may mention Rev. William
Bingham, D. D., of Lincoln University, Rev.
William G. Stewart, Rev. A. Thomjjson
Stewart and Rev. Lemon Grove among cler-
gymen; William F. Smith, M. D., now
of Lower Chanceford, Joseph A. Murphy,
M. D., now of Wilkesbarre, A. P. T. Grove,
M. D., the late James Clarkson, M. D.
late of Columbia, Penn., and A. Clarkson
Smith M.D.,late of Columbia, Penn., among
physicians; James Smith, Esq.. and W. F.
Bay Stewart, Esq., among lawyers, form a
galaxy of professional men, who by their
commanding talents, professional success and
high personal standing, unite to do honor to
the township of their birth.

In this connection we may mention an-



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 149 of 218)