John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 151 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 151 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Samuel Fullerton, 1 horse, 6 persons 15

Richard Freeborn. 6 persons

John Fullerton, 333 acres, 1 slave, 3 horses, 6 I

persons, 1 still 251 j

James Fellow, 150 acres. 1 horse, 3 persons. . . 91
James Fulton, 160 acres, 3 slaves, 3 horses, 5

persons 180

John Fullerton, Sr., 100 acres, 1 servant, 2

horses, 3 persons 74

Wm. Fullerton, 144 acres, 3 horses, 10 persons 94

Thomas Gowan, 130 acres, 3 horses, 5 persons. 96

Robert Gobble, 8 persons 5 |

Thomas Graham, l-horse. 5 persons 13 l

Barnard Good, 30 acres, 8 persons 18

Thomas Grove, 100 acres, 1 horse, 6 persons. . . 74 j

William Greer, 80 acres, 3 horses, 3 persons. . . 65

John Grove, 190 acres, 3 horses, 6 persons 126

Robert Gill, 1 person

George Gibson, 1 horse, 8 persons 13 [

Jacob Grove, 150 acres, 3 horses, 5 persons. . . . 104

Joseph Klein, 300 acres, 1 horse, 1 person 118 '

Mathew Gelgore, 350 acres, 1 slave, 5 horses, 9 1

persons 307

Jas. Henderson. 180 acres, 3 horses, 6 persons. 133

Henry Herrot, 3 horses, 7 persons

Wm. Houlton, 133 acres, 3 horses, 4 persons. . 118

Charles Holmes, 419 acres, 4 horses, 4 persons. 349

James Hill, 220 acres, 1 horse, 5 persons 761

George Henry, 150 acres, 3 horses, 9 persons. . 103

John Henderson, 200 acres, 2 horses. 5 persons 120

Samuel Hannah, 80 acres, 2 horses, 6 persons. . 76

William Hendry, 300 acres, 2 horses, 5 persons 195
John Henderson, weaver, 150 acres, 3 horses,

4 persons 100

John Henderson, cooper, 1 horse, ,5 persons.. . 14

Widow Henry, 1 horse, 1 person 8

Josech Houlton, 240 acres, 2 horses, 6 persons. 209

Hugh Henderson, 50 acres 25

Leonard Isenhouer, 150 acres, 2 horses, 4 per-
sons 126

Thos. Johnston, 100 acres, 2 horses, 3 persons. 101

Joseph Jackson, 810 acres, 4 horses. 8 persons 593

Wm. Johnson, 158 acres, 3 horses, 4 persons. . 95
John Kirk wood. 50 acres, 3 horses, 3 persons, 1

chair. 1 mill. 3 stills 55

Thos. Kirkwood, 30 acres, 3 horses, 7 persons 39



Valuation.

BelthaserKieth, 130 acres, 3 horses, 5 persons £85

George Keener, 90 acres, 1 horse, 4 persons. . 55

Lodwig Kieth, 30 acres, 1 horse, 6 persons. . . 26

Patrick Kill, 130 acres, 3 horses, 8 persons. ... 88
Thomas Kelly, 761 acres, 3 slaves, 3 horses, 3

persons 606

John Kirkwood, 60 acres, 1 horse, 3 persons. . . 55

Conrad Lookup, 150 acres, 3 horses, 4 persons 87

Wm. Leaman, 130 acres, 2 horses, 4 persons. . 103

John Leekey, 3 horses, 7 persons 36

Widow Little, 100 acres, 2 horses, 3 persons. . . 86

James Leaper, 180 acres, 3 horses, 6 persons. . 145

Wm. Long. 250 acres, 4 horses, 4 persons 197

John Lush, 280 acres, 3 horses, 8 persons 303

James Logue, 350 acres, 1 servant, 3 horses, 7

persons 193

John Lavid, 900 acres, 2 slaves, 4 horses, 5

persons 598

George List, 123 acres, 3 horses, 8 persons. ... 86
James Lavid. 3.50 acres, 3 horses, 3 persons. . . 153
John McCall, 100 acres, 3 horses, 6 persons. . 99
Wm. McGufEy, 200 acres, 3 horses, 5 persons. 145
Widow McClurg. 150 acres, 3 horses, 4 persons 104
Wm. McCalla. 178 acres, 3 horses, 5 persons. .
Wm. Maxwell, 310 acres, 1 horse, 6 persons. . . 107
Stephen McKinley, 337 acres, 5 horses, 9 per-
sons 332

John Marlin, 334 acres, 1 slave, 2 horses, 3

persons 326

Toal McCalister, 2 persons 3

Widow Marlin. 365 acres, 3 horses, 6 persons. 203

.John Menary, 150 acres, 3 horses, 11 persons. 110

Samuel Martin, 3 horses, 4 persons 31

Thomas Mathess, 3 horses, 3 persons 18

Frederick McPherson, 63 acres, 1 horse, 8 per-
sons 53

Wm. Morrison, Sr., 390 acres, 4 horses, 1 still,

7 persons 268

Wm. McCullough, 2 horses, 7 persons 21

John McCandless, 112 acres, 3 horses, 6 per

sons 107

Wm. Morrison, Jr., 350 acres, 3 horses, 6 per-
sons 202

James Marshall, 250 acres, 3 horses, 8 persons. 148

John McQuon, 1 horse, 2 persons 8

Michael McAfee, 69 acres, 1 horse, 8 persons. 46

.Tames Martin. 1 horse, 6 persons 15

Widow McMollon, 40 acres, 3 persons 30

Alexander McCurdy. 1 horse. 3 persons 10

Robert McClennon (blind), 100 acres, 2 horses,

5 persons 79

Patrick McGee, 300 acres, 3 horses, 2 persons. 183

John Mitchel, 230 acres, 4 horses, 6 persons. . . 179
Andrew McCleary, 350 acres, 1 slave, 4 horses,

6 persons 267

Wm. Maughlin, 348 acres, 4 horses, 7 persons. 171

John McClennon, 2 horses, 5 persons 20

Wm. McDowell, 185 acres, 1 horse, 4 persons. 130

John Michael, 259 acres 135

Wm. McCandless, 229 acres, 3 horses, 6 per-
sons 140

Moses McWharter, 2 horses 125

Daniel Newman, 1 horse, 4 persons 8

George Newburg, 150 acres, 1 horse, 3 persons,

1 ferry 108

James Nichelson, 1 horse, 2 persons 13

Samuel Nelson, 308 acres, 1 slave, 3 horses, 9

persons 793

Wm. Owens, 30 acres 33

John Olrich, 50 acres, 1 horse, 3 persons 38

George Orson, 420 acres, 3 horses, 5 persons, 1

ferry 307

Benjamin Pedan, Esq., 807 acres, 1 slave, 5

horses, 10 persons 283

Robert Pendry. 1 horse, 3 persons

James Pedan, 151 acres, 3 horses 133

James Porter, 60 acres, 2 horses, 5 persons. ... 55




<S^^;2<? - t-^



'^g-r5^<2^'^t^



LOWER CHANCEFORD TOWNSHIP.



Valuation.

Archibald Purdy. 50 acres, 3 horses, 5 persons £50

Andrew Paxton, 146 acres, 2 horses, 5 persons 105

Wm. Pollock, 100 acres, 3 horses, 3 persons. . . 80

John Ports, 1 horse, 6 persons 35,

David Parker, 1 horse 10

John Patterson, 161 acres, 3 horses, 4 persons. 113

Nicholas Quigley, 15 acres, 3 horses, 4 persons 51

Henry Robinson, 188 acres, 3 horses, 4 persons 118

John Reed, 300 acres, 4 horses, 4 persons 18

Wm. Ross. 843 acres, 2 slaves, 5 horses, 5 per-
sons, 3 stills 633

Widow Reed, 1 horse, 6 persons

Walter Robinson, 100 acres 50

Wm. Rea, 4 persons 3

Martin Robert, 188 acres, 3 horses, 9 persons. 139

Wm. Read, 310 acres, 3 horses, 6 persons 309

Thomas Rea, 75 acres, 1 horse, 7 persons 75

John Rippjr, 300 acres, 3 horses, 6 persons. . . . 306

Wm. Reed, 3 horses, 3 persons 30

Joseph Robb, 843 acres, 3 horses, 13 persons. 333
James Robinson, 240 acres, 1 servant, 3 horses,

10 persons 169

Joseph Read. Esq., 165 acres, 4 horses, 1 mill,

9 persons 307

Thomas Ramsay. 335 acres, 3 horses, 8 persons. 173

James Ramsey, 100 acres, 2 horses, 6 persons... 80

Thomas Scott. 150 acres, 1 horse, 4 persons 90

Robert Smith. 355 acres, 3 horses, 9 persons . . . 356

Allen Scott, 1.50 acres, 2 horses, 6 persons 96

Robert Stewart, 350 acres, 3 horses, 6 persons. . 19.3

Hugh Sprout, 350 acres, 4 horses, 5 persons. . . . 119

Jonas Sour, 100 acres, 1 horse, 8 persons 75

Robert Shaw, 150 acres, 8 horses, 4 persons. ... 117

Rowling Stewart, 64 acres, 1 horse, 4 persons. . 40

Peter Snyder, 50 acres, 1 horse, 2 persons 33

Andrew Stealy, 1 horse, 7 persons 10

Stephen Stealy, 30 acres, 1 horse, 5 persons. ... 33

Widow Smith, 130 acres 65

Jacob Spots, 150 acres, 3 horses, 5 persons 116

Jacob Steally, 150 acres, 3 hotses, 5 persons. ... 131
Daniel Sinclear, 140 acres, 3 horses, 5 persons. . 113
James Stewart, 300 acres, 3 horses, 3 persons. . . 136
Gawin Scott, 400 acres, 3 slaves, 3 horses, 8 per-
sons 366

Archibald Shaw, 100 acres, 2 horses, 3 persons. 86

John Stewart, 345 acres, 2 horses, 8 persons 314

Samuel Stewart, 50 acres, 3 horses, 5 persons. .. 50

John Smith, 340 acres, 1 horse, 9 persons 134

Peter Sangry, 180 acres, 2 horses, 9 persons. ... 126

Casper Sailor, 166 acres, 2 horses. 10 persons . . 129

James Spear, 140 acres, 2 horses, 8 persons 100

William Stewart, 150 acres, 2 horses, 6 persons. 105

Patrick Smith, 100 acres, 3 horses, 9 persons. . . 85

James Turk, 193 acres, 3 horses, 6 persons 136

Ephraim Turk, 123 acres, 2 horses, 5 persons. .. 90

Alexander Turner, 60 acres, 4 horses, 8 persons. 130

John Thatcher; 350 acres, 4 horses, 7 persons. . 213

George Thompson, 2 horses, 5 persons 20

Thomas Wilson, 206 acres, 2 horses, 5 persons.. 165

Isaac Williams, 2S9 acres, 3 horses, 3 persons. . 180
Matthew Wallace, 300 acres, 3 horses, 7 persons 149

Widow Wilson. 100 acres, 1 horse, 1 person. ... 68

James Wiley, 100 acres, 3 horses, 5 persons 95

Samuel Woods. 20 acres, 3 horses, 7 persons. . . 27
John Winter, 140 acres, 2 horses, 3 persons, 1

saw-mill 91

Moses Wallace, 1 horse

James Wryburn, 80 acres

John Wyley, 60 acres, 1 horses, 4 persons 45

SINGLE MEN.

James Cunningham. Emanual Reichard.

Samuel McClorg. William Johnston.

David McKinley. William Sprout.

Isaac McCewin. John McCreary. — -

Samuel Sprout. Robert Nelson.

James Sprout. James Patterson.



Martin Robert.
Robert Marlin.
John McCall.
James Wyley.
William McCall.
Samuel Shaw.
John Adams.
Thomas Duncan.
William Davis.
Peter Smith.
William McKee.
Phillip Maxwell.
Andrew Stewart.
Joseph Glen.



William Wilson.
William Buchanan.
Robert Armstrong.
John Sinclair.
Thomas McCreary.
Alexander Craigmiles.
Daniel Filloon.
John Hill.
John Kelley.
James Long.
William Elder.
Thomas Lush.
David Duglass.
Andrew Forgeson.
Joseph Reed.

RELIGIOUS HISTORY.

Chanceford Presbyterian Church. — This
church is located a short distance southeast
of the village of Airville, and its early his-
tory was intimately connected with the Slate
Ridge Church, of Peach Bottom Township,
the two congregations, being served by the
same pastors for many years. The exact
time of its organization could not be accur-
ately ascertained, though references are made
to it in oiHcial records as early as 1760. The
first settlers of this interesting section were
a very worthy class of Scotch-Irish, many
of whose descendants are now members of
this church. The first house of worship was
known as "the tent," which was removed and
a substantial church built. The present
church was built in 1850. This one is soon
to give place to a new one.

Rev. John Strain was installed pastor in
1762, and served until his death in 1774.
Rev. John Siemens was installed in 1781,
and his pastoral relation dissolved in 1799.
Rev. Samuel Martin, D. D., was installed in
1799, pastoral relation dissolved in 1845, and
he died the same year. Rev. John Farquhar
was ordained and installed in 1846, and died
in 1866. He was highly educated. Some
of his published sermons and other writings
are of rare merit. Sketches of the clergy-
men preceding him, will be found in the
history of the Slate Ridge Church in this
work. The next pastor was Rev. Robert
Gamble, who was installed in April, 1867,
and served until September 20, 1882. Rev.
C. B. Cross, present pastor, was installed in
September, 1883. He is a graduate of
Princeton.

The present parsonage is located near the
church, surrounded by ten acres of church-
land. The congregation is large, and com-
posed of an intelligent and prosperous
people.

In the adjoining large cemeterj' rest
remains of the former members of this church,
including a number of Revolutionary pa-
triots.

The United Presbyterian Church. — This



HISTOKY OF YORK COUifTY.



church body was organized in 1858, at Pitts-
burgh, by the union of the Associate Pres-
byterian and Associate Reformed Presbyte-
rian Churches, whose history runs back into
Scotland, as Covenanters and Associates
(Seceders).

The present members in York County, are
the descendants of Presbyterians, who im-
migrated to this country from the Province
of Ulster and county of Antrim, the Scotch-
Protestant districts of North Ireland. The
rise of rents and tithes and several bad har-
vests from 1724 to 1729, and the oppression
of the government, led many to immigrate
to America. Four thousand and two hun-
dred sailed in three years. A number sold
themselves for four years to pay their pas-
sage. Some of them arrived in York
County as squatters, in 1723, and as settlers
in 1732. A part of them were from Scot-
land. Their first religious services were
held in dwelling houses and intents.

The church at Airville was organized
March 27, 1771. William Gabby and Dan-
iel Sinclair were elected ruling elders. The
Rev. John Cuthbertson had preached occa-
sionally in that locality, for about twenty
years previous to this time, and after the or-
ganization, he frequently officiated.

A Remarkable Missionary. — Rev. Cuth-
bertson seems to have been a remarkable trav-
eling missionary through Pennsylvania,
Maryland, New York and Connecticut. He
arrived in this country from Scotland, in
1751, and landed at Newcastle, Del. He
kept a diary, in which he reports having
preached during the first year, 120 days, bap-
tized 10 children, married 10 couples, and rid-
den on horseback 2,500 miles, exposed to all
the dangers of frontier life. He preached in
private bouses and in tents. Some of these
tents, he writes, were located in groves, with
an elevated platform for the speaker, and
board nailed against a tree to support the
Bible. Thus did this apostolic man toil for
thirty-nine years, during which time he
preached 2,452 days, baptized 1,806 children,
married 240 couples, rode on horseback
about 70,000 miles, or nearly equal to three
times around the globe. The last year of
his life was spent in York and Lancaster
Counties. He died in 1791, aged seventy-
five years, and his dust now rests in an un-
pretentious graveyard, on the peaceful banks
of the Octorara Creek, in Lancaster County.

Anecdotes of Rev. Cuthbertson. — He was
very highly revered by the people with whom
he worked, and many interesting stories are
related of him, which were transmitted to
posterity by former generations. A few, to



illustrate that there was a vein of humor in
his nature, should be related: He was once
asked if it were wrong to sing songs, when
he answered in his broad Scotch, that he
thought it would not be wrong to sing ''I
love Lillie and Lillie loves me." It is also
said that if anj' one made an excuse that the
table was not well supplied, or that the ac-
commodations were not good, he would say,
"None of your sunful excuses." He was
very fond of a cup of tea, especially after a
fatiguing day's journey on horseback. As
tea was a very rare article then in this coun-
try, he was accustomed to carry it with him
in his saddlebags, for his own use. Arriv-
ing at his stopping place in this county,
while on a trip westward, late one evening,
he handed the precious parcel to the lady of
the house, asking her to prepare some for
supper. She complied cheerfully, emptying
the entire contents into a kettle of water,
boiled well, carefully drained off the liquid
and served up the leaves after the manner
of greens. AVhen the reverend guest per-
ceived the error as he commenced to par-
take of his meal, he exclaimed, in character-
istic Scotch, "Dear woman, if you had gi'en
me the broth, you might have had the kale."
At one time he says he traveled eleven miles
searching for a wagon to borrow. Such ve-
hicles were veiy scarce then.

I Early Members and Clergymen. — Some of
the first members of this church in 1774,
were William Wilson, George Buchanan,

: Hugh Ross, William Smith, James Ander-
son, Samuel Dickson, William Fullerton,
Samuel Nelson, William Maughlin and Al-
exander Ewing.

Revs. Lind and Dobbins preached as sup-
plies until the arrival of Rev. Charles Camp-
bell, of Stewarstown, Ireland, who was in-
stalled in 1801. Lower Chanceford and
Hopewell were in one charge, and so con-
tinued until the year 1858. Rev. Campbell
died in 1804, at the age of thirty-six.

Rev. Josiah Wilson became pastor in 1808,
and died in 1812. He lived near Muddy
Creek Forks, on the farm now occupied by
Francis Grove. There was no regular pas-
tor then until 1843, when Rev. D. B. Jones
was ordained and installed. During the
thirty-one years without pastoral care, the
congregation became much weakened. , Some
families met for worship during this inter-
val. Mr. Jones remained until 1847, and
was soon afterward succeeded by Rev. Will-
iam Carlisle, who resigned in 1856. In
May, 1857, Rev. Joseph Boyd was called and
remained one year.

There was at this time, an Associate Pres-



LOWER CHANCEFORD TOWNSHIP.



743



byterian congregation in Lower Chanceford,
connected with the Guiuston charge. In 1858
this congregation united with the one at Air-
\ille, and formed the United Presbyterian
Church of Lower Chanceford. The pas-
tors since that have been Rev. T. F. Baird,
from 1861 to 1865, when he died. Rev. D. j
G. Bruce, from 1869 to 1872, when he re-
signed. Rev A. S. Aiken was ordained and
installed on the 29th of April, 1875, and is
the present efficient pastor. To him we are
indebted for much of this information.

In the old "Nelson Graveyard," one-half
mile below Airville, on the York and Peach
Bottom wagon road, rest the remains of
many of the early covenanters of this sec- 1
tion. There is now a new cemetery adjoin-
ing the remodeled church in the village, i
This, and the church, are surrounded by a
beautiful grove of oak trees. The present
church building was erected in 1843. A
neat and cozy parsonage belonging to the ,
congregation was erected in 1884.

Pine Grove] Presbyterian CImrch. — This
church is situated in Lower Chanceford on j
the wagon road, leading from York to Peach
Bottom, twenty-five miles southeast of the
former and five miles northwest of the latter
place, and equi-distant from the Presbyterian
Churches of Lower Chanceford, Slate Ridge
and Slateville.

Rev. Samuel Park, who had completed and
resigned a pastorate of forty years in Slate |
Ridge Church, began to hold meetings in i
the vicinity of Pino Grove Schoolhouse in
1851, preaching every alternate Sabbath af-
ternoon in private houses, and subsequently
in Pine Grove Schoolhouse. July 28,
1853, a few Presbyterian families, residing
in that vicinity, who felt the inconvenience
of the distance to be traveled over in reach-
ing the churches above named, resolved upon
erecting a church edifice (40x35 feet) on land
donated by James Barnett. The building
■was finished in 1857, and October 30,
1857, the church of Pine Grove was organ-
ized by a committee of Presbytery appoint-
ed for that purpose. There were then five
members and two ruling elders. These eld-
ers, whose names are James Barnett and
Herman Snyder, yet live and continue to of-
ficiate in the capacity for which they were
chosen. Other elders, as circumstances re-
quired, were elected and ordained, whose
names were James McKay, Thomas Norris,
Enas F. Barnett and Daniel Shenk. Mr. Mc-
Kay, who was elected an elder in 1858, died in
1864. The session, as now constituted, con-
fiists of four elders: James Barnett, Herman
Snyder, Enas F. Barnett and Daniel Shenk.



The deaconate was introduced into this
church in 1876 also. The names of those
who have served in this capacity are D. J.
Barnett, Alexander Monroe, Jr., Richard
Ruff, S. P. Snyder and G. T. Barnett.

There have been received to membership
in this church seventy-six persons; the re-
movals by death and otherwise number forty-
one, leaving, at this date, a membership of
thirty-five.

The Rev. Samuel Park continued to preach
to this people up to 1859. The Rev. T. M.
Crawford, then pastor of the Slateville
church, and the present occupant of the pul-
pit of Pine Grove, has ever since 1859, in
the main, supplied the Pine Grove piilpit,
excepting two and one-half years, included
in 1871, 1872 and 1873 when it was occupied
by Rev. Alexander F. Morrison, who was
at the same time pastor of New Harmony
church, and excepting also four and one-half
years in the aggregate, when Rev. Sam-
uel Park, Rev. John Farquhar, pastor of
Lower Chanceford church, and Rev. Robert
Gamble, his successor at Lower Chanceford,
and Rev. J. D. Smith, successor of Rev.
Samuel Park at Slate Ridge, and Rev. D.
M. Davenport, successor of Rev. T. M.
Crawford at Slateville — were at different
stages of the church's history associated,
and took their turns with Mr. Crawford in
supplying the pulpit at Pine Grove.

This church has its Sabbath-school, prayer-
meetings and ladies' missionary societies,
and has been contributing statedly to all the
objects of benevolence recommended by the
General Assemblyof the Presbyterian Church.

Airville Circuit of the Methodist Episcopal
Church embraces Salem, McKendree, Pros-
pect and Bethel Churches. The first two are
in this township, the third in Fawn and
the last in Chanceford. The entire member-
ship is about 400. There is a Sunday-school
in each of the four churches, whose aggregate
membership is 600 pupils. The original name
of the charge was Castle Fin Circuit, which
name was held from 1825 to 1883, when the
present name was adopted. June, 1825, to
1840, Castle Fin Circuit included the present
charges in Harford County, Md., Shrews-
bury, Stewartstown and Wrightsville. The
I parsonage was located near Castle Fin, and
was burned in 1872. In 1877 a parsonage
was built at Airville. The following is a
list of the pastors of this circuit from 1825
to 1885:

Revs. P. D. Lipscomb, John Monroe, R.

Barnes, James Ewing, William Butler, E.

Nichodemus, Joseph Parker, Zech. Jordan,

i John W. Cronin, William Hank, Isaac Col-



HISTORY OF YOKK COUNTY.



lins. Penfield Doll, Asbury Harden, Oliver
Ege, now the oldest member of Central
Peansylvania Conference; Thompson Mitch-
ell. James E. Durborrow. George Berkstres-
ser, Alfred Wiles, Joseph S. Morris, J. VV.^
CuUum, John Stine, E. D. Owen, Samuel'
Ellas, T. B. Lemon, John McKinley, John
McFarland, James A. Coleman, Samuel Cor-
nelius, E. W. Kerby, Charles Clever, Asbury
Eilley, John Anderson, Job A. Price, P. E.
Waiters, William G. Fargeson, Joseph S.
Lee, J. F. Brown, Wesley Howe, John B.
Mann, Albert Hartman, John S. Clarke, John
A. McKindless, Elisha Butler, Harry White,
Frederick Crever, John Z. Lloyd, Henry
Webster, H. H. Minnich, Lewis H. Clarke,
Thomas Wilcox, Josiah P. Long, Levi S.
Crone and A. W. Decker.

Salem Methodist Episcopal CImrcli. — This
building is historic as being the oldest Meth-
odist Church in this section of the county.
It is located in the extreme lower end of the
township near the old Castle Fin Forge on
the York & Peach Bottom public road. A
church was built on the site where the pres-
ent one stands in 1820. It stood until 1867,
when the frame building now used was
erected at a cost of $2,500. The old ceme-
tery adjoining the church was laid out many
years ago, and contains a large number of
tombs.

McKendree Methodist Episcopal Cliurch,
is located on the York and Peach Bottom pub-
lie road near Airville.and is one of the oldest
Methodist Churches of the lower end of the
county. Religious meetings were previously
held in barns and houses, by missionaries.
The first church was built in 1825 and the
present one in 1867. at a cost of $2,400.

Union Chapel. — This house of worship is
located near Slab Postoffice and was built
about 1874, greatly through the instrumen-
tality of Christopher Witmer, Alexander
Snodgrass and Sample Scott. It is a neat
frame building with a burying ground adjoin-
ing it. Regular ssrvices are now held by
the Evangelical Association.

Pleasant Hill Cliurch. — This church is lo-
sated near CoUinsville and was built about
1875, at a cost of $1,030, by the Evangelical
Association.



YORK FURNACE.

This place as a postoffice and business
center of the lower end of the county, has
long been well known. John Bair, Esq.,
who has been prominently identified with its
interest, was born in Lancaster County, May
25, 1816, and came to York Furnace in 1845,



to engage in the manufacture of iron, which
interest is described elsewhere in this work.
He also began the mercantile business, and
in 1850 added the burning of lime as a fertil-
izer on an extensive scale, and the manufact-
ure of lumber at his owti saw-mills at this
place. In 1855 he began dealing iu grain.
Mr. Bair was married, in 1855, to Susan
Groff, daughter of David Groff. of Lancas-
ter County. They have two children, Robert
Cobeen and Lizzie. R. C. Bair, the, son, is
now a partner with his father. The article
on the "Scotch-Irish," though not specially
prepared for this work, was kindly furnished
by him for publication. It is a well pre-
pared paper, and contains much valuable in-
formation.

John Bair & Co. are at present doing an
extensive business of a varied character. They
own a large number of canal-boats which
run on the Susquehanna Canal, that passes
York Furnace. A saw- mi 11 run by water
power, and one by steam power, are gener-
ally in operation. This firm owns also a
store of general merchandise, and deals in
coal, lumber, grain, phosphates, railroad ties,
bark and other products.

The hotel is kept by Elias W. Urey. Mr.
Bair is the owner of 2, 500 acres of land,



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 151 of 218)