John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 153 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 153 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Elisha Pew, 25 acres 30

James Patterson, 150 acres 104

Samuel Patterson, 50 acres 80

Nehemiah Armstrong, 35 acres 35



THE INTRODUCTION OF LIME.

Lime as a fertilizer was introduced into
the eastern part of Hopewell in 1830.
During that year Henry Manifold, on his
way home from Baltimore, brought seven
bushels of lime, which he purchased near



HISTOEY or YORK COUNTY.



Towsontown, Md. All of his neighbors
went to his farm to see what was then consid-
ered a curiosity. The effect of the application
of lime was watched the next year with the
greatest interest. It resulted in success and
revol.utionized the business of farming in this
section. The nest year Henry Manifold,
Joseph Edgar and Benjamin Payne built a
kiln, and brought the limestone down the
Susquehanna to McCall's Ferry, and burned
it in this township. So manifest was the
success that the burning of lime became an
impoi-tant business, and many farmers erected
kilns. Before the introduction of lime the
soil had become veiy much impoverished.
Except on newly cleared land, very little
wheat could be raised in Hopewell, and in-
deed in the entire lower end of the county.
Wheat for family use was obtained from the
region around York. Corn and rye could
bp raised in small quantities by a judicious
application of manure as a fertilizer. Flax
and wool were raised for clothing and sale.
Buckwheat grew quite luxuriantly, and pro-
duced well. Farmers depended mostly on
marketing to Baltimore as a means of gain-
ing a livelihood; at this business some
prospered.

The recent use of phosphates has produced
a marvelous change in the whole aspect of
"The Barrens," a name absolutely inapplic
able now to any part of that section. Im
proved modes of agriculture, careful cultiva-
tion of the land, the introduction of the new
fertilizers have caused Hopewell, and its ad
joining township to bloom and produce lik(
the fertile region around far-famed Damas
cus. An intelligent farmer will no longer
say that limestone land is most valuable.
There is faithful evidence that corn produces
well here, and wheat, during the past few
years, has yielded so abundantly, and in such
excellent quality, as to astonish, not only the
farmers of our limestone regions, but the
wide-awake descendants of the Scotch- Irish
themselves.

Tobacco farming began in Hopewell about
1874. It is now considered a very profitable
crop. The land is specially adapted to its
cultivation. It produces well, and is of
superior quality, and finds a ready market.
In the eastern part of Hopewell it is raised
in large quantities. On one tract of two and
three-quarter acres as many as 6,800 pounds
were raised. Within the past year Havanna
leaf has been planted, and yielded well in
all of the lower end of the county.

Potatoes, in large quantities, are raised in
this township, especially in the vicinity of
Stewarts town.



HOPEWELL PRESBYTEKIAN CHURCH.

The early facts concerning the history of
this church have been lost, so that the date
of its organization is merely conjectui-al. In
the roll of the churches, as given in the
manual of Westminster Presbytery, the date
of its organization is given as 1756, followed
by an interrogating mark. The volume of
the minutes of Donegal and Carlisle Pres-
byteries for that period has been lost, hence'
the date cannot be verified. In the records,
under date of June 5, 1759, there is the fol-
lowing minute, viz: "A supplication from the
inhabitants of Shrewsbury (Hope\vell Town-
ship was not yet erected) to be formed into
a congregation, was brought in and read.
The action was deferred until the people
of Guinston be notified. Ordered that Mr.
L. Smith write to the people of Guinston."
The request seems to have been granted sub-
sequently, however, for under date of April
15, 1760, there was a supplication from
Shrewsbury Church for supplies; and in
1761, a supplication from York and Shrews-
bury for the appointment of Mr. Hanna as
their stated supply for one year, promising
£90 during that time. Permission was given
to these congregations to invite him to preach
for them, until the meeting of the synod and
presbytery allowed him to comply with this
invitation. The most definite information is
that a congregation was organized, a log
church built at Round Hill, about 1770.
Rev. Joseph Long of tlie Presbytery of Car-
lisle was stated supply for one year. The
elders during this period were William
Smith and Andrew Duncan. The congrega-
tion seems to have been dependent on the
presbytery for supplies until 1791. In 1790
a new log church was built in a more central
location. On December 20, 1791, the con-
gregations of York and Hopewell called Rev.
Dr. Cathcart (see page 411). James Wilson,
Robert Anderson, Michael Morrison, Andrew
Warwick and Robert Gemmill were then
ruling elders of this church.

On Saturday, November 6, 1813, at a
meeting of the heads of families of the con-
gregations of Hopewell in the house of Sam-
son Smith a series of resolutions were agreed
to, relating to the building of a new house
of worship. It was built that year and the
name changed from Round Hill to Hopewell,
though Hopewell seems to have been given it
in minutes of presbytery as early as 1783.
In 1818 Henry Manifold, John Gemmill, Ben-
jamin Payne and James Patterson were rul-
ing elders. The communicant membership
then was 160. In 1834 Andrew Anderson,
Andrew Gordon, Robert Wilson and Hugh



HOPEWELL TOWTsrSHIP.



Hogg were ruling elders. Dr. Cathcarfc
preached his farewell sermon in November,
1834, having served nearly forty-two years.
After he left, the congregation was supplied
by Revs. Boyer and Houston for one year,
and on the death of Mr. Houston by Mr.
Boyer for another year, after which it had
occasional supplies, among whom are men-
tioned, J. M. Boggs and S. M. Boyless. The
latter was appointed to supply Hopewell
Church one half of the time October, 1843.
Kev. L. H. Smith was ordained and installed
pastor of Hopewell and Stewartstown
Churches, June 17, 1845, served these con-
gregations with great acceptance for twelve
years, and died February 4, 1857. Me.ssrs.
Porter, C. W. Stewart, J. A. Divine and
others served as supplies. June 27, 1858,
Rev. J. Y. Cowhick, a licentiate of the pres-
bytery of Columbus, Ohio, began supplying
the church, and was installed pastor for one
half of his time Friday, May 6, 1859. In
the same year John Manifold, A. C. Mani-
fold, Samson Smith, Sr. and John T,rout were
ruling elders. The church then had 131
members. In 1867 John Anderson, William
Wilson and John Hyson were ruling elders.
Rev. J. Y. Cowhick continued pastor of this
church in connection with Stewartstown and
Center Churches until September 24, 1873,
when he was released from Hoi^ewell, to give
his whole time to Stewartstown and Center.
In September, 1874, the present pastor.
Rev. T. L. Springer (to whom we are under
many obligations for this sketch), became
the supply. He received a call the same
year, and was ordained and installed pastor.
At this time the church had 135 communi-
cants. The session consisted of its present
membei's, viz. : Robert Wilson, William
Wilson, A. C. Manifold, John Anderson and
John Hyson. At the present time, 1885,
there are 173 communicants. In 1876 the
church building was thoroughly and taste-
fully refitted. It now is comfortable, neat
and attractive.

THE UNITED PRESBTTEKIAN CHURCH.

The church of this denomination in Hope-
well, was organized about 1800, it is supposed
by the Rev. Thomas Smith. The first elders
were Alexander Thompson, Alexander Proud-
foot and John M. McCleary. Rev. Charles
Campbell, the second pastor, died April 7,
1804. Rev. Josiah Wilson became a supply
in 1807, was installed pastor January 1,1808,
and died in September, 1812. The congre-
gation was served by supplies Revs. Aunan,
Weir, McQonnell and Graham, until 1823,
when Rev. Alexander Sharp became pastor.



He was succeeded in 1828 by Rev. Alexander
McCahan, who continued until 1832. His
successors in order were Revs. Robert Graeey,
1836; James Green, 1837; Alexander Miller,
1838; John Ekin, 1839. Buchanan, McElroy,
Dick, Pressly, Findley, Jones, all of whom
were supplies except the last-named, who was
installed pastor August 30, 1843, and re-
signed in 1847. Revs. Van Eaton, D. D.,
C. Sharp, D. D. were supplies until Rev.
William Carlisle became pastor October, 1 848,
and served until 1856. Rev. Joseph Boyd
served one year.

In 1858 the union was formed by the
Associates and Associate Reformed Churches
and Gainston and Hopewell were united in
one charge and Rev. Francis McBurney took
charge of Hopewell for one-third of his time.
He resigned October, 1868, and was followed
by Revs. Rait, McCutcheon, Young, Carlisle,
and Samuel Jamison as supplies. In April,
1871, Rev. Jamison, the last named was
chosen pastor in connection with Guinston.
Rev. John Jamison, the present pastor, en-
tered upon his duties in October, 1875, giving
one-half his time. Since July, 1885, he has
devoted his whole time to this congregation..

The first church was built of logs, and in
1843 it was remodeled. In 1867 the fine
brick church now owned by the congregation
was built. In 1883 six acres of land were
purchased, on which the parsonage was built.
The number of members is ninety- three, elders
are Jacob Grove, James Grove, John T. Grove
and A. Hyson. A Sunday-school of ninety
scholars; James W. Wallace is superintend-
ent, and W. N. McAllister, assistant.

A member of the congregation furnished
the following interesting facts concerning this
church:

" To show the esteem Rev. Thomas Smith
was held, in 1823 he sent Rev. Alex Sharp to
supply, and directed him where to stop. Ar-
riving at the place a call brought the old
gentleman to the door; Mr. Sharp addressed
him thus: 'I have been sent to preach for
you.' 'What is your name?' Being told:
'Who sent you'?' 'Rev. Thomas Smith.'
'If Thomas Smith sent you, come in, I do not
care how sharp you are. ' "

Four young men from this congregation
have entered the ministry, one became pro-
fessor of languages in Union College, New
York.

"About 1817 the congregation was'not sup-
plied very regular; some lukewarm members
saw there was money in the log build-
ing, consequently came to the conclusion to
have it sold. A day was appointed, each
party on hand, the one quite in the minority.



HISTORY OF YORK COUXTY.



One old gentleman, who had quite a large
supply of Irish blood in his veins, volunteered
the expression, " Here it is, and here it shall
stand to the day of judgment." The would-
be-sellers left without asking for a chairman
being appointed."

LEBANON LUTHERAN AND KEFOEMED CHURCH.

This church is situated in the northeastern
part of Hopewell. In 1814, Kev. John
Herbst organized a Lutheran congregation
here. The trustees were Michael Sechristand
'George Barshinger. The flrst Reformed
•clergyman was Rev. F. A.Sholl. The original
building stood until 1859, when a new and
•commodious one was erected. Benjamin Ty-
son was one of the trustees at the time of its
•erection. Some of the oldest members and
■church officers are Frederick Flinchbaugh,
John Stabley, Jacob Diehl, Henry Sentz,
Michael Sechrist and, George Barshinger.
There being no carefully kept records, ac-
cording to the memory of the oldest members,
the Lutheran clergymen who have officiated
here were Rev. John Herbst, chosen in 1814;
George Stecher, in 1820; Jacob Kempfer, in
1832; A. Burg, in 1852; P.Warner, in 1873;
E. Lenhart, is the present pastor. The Re-
formed pastors were F. A. Sholl, G. Hoble-
stein, H. Ryneka, W. Ryneka, D. Gring and
B. Rahauser, now vacant.

Sadler's church.
This church is located in the eastern part of
the township, near the old plank road. It
was named after an early German settler. The
Lutheran congregation that at present wor-
ships in this church is served by Rev. John
Conaway, of York. Mount Pleasant Church,
situated three miles from Winterstown, was
built about 1855. Rev. Berg was the iirst
pastor, who was followed by Rev. Kempfer.
Rev. John Conaway has been pastor for the



THE BOROUGH OF STEWARTSTOWN.

This beautiful and interesting town is lo-
cated in the southern part of Hopewell, and
was named after Anthony Stewart, who in
1812, purchased a tract of land on which most
of the town is built. In 1814, David Edgar
made a survey of Stewart's land and laid out
nineteen lots. Benedict Meads about the
same ti me opened a store and tavern, and the
new town was for a time called after him,
though its founder earnestly desired to have
.that much coveted honor. A number of me-
chanics purchased lots and successfully plied
their respective trades, whereupon the name



of Mechanicsburg was suggested. This
again greatly disconcerted the founder. In
1825 the people of the vicinity held a meeting
in order to lay plans to secure the establish-
ment of apostoffice, and decided to call it Me-
chanicsburg. The department at Washington
named the office Guilford, and appointed An-
thony Stewart, postmaster. He was commis-
sioned December 19, 1828. Some time before
1840, the name of the office was changed to
Stewartstown. The village was incorporated
by act of the legislature, March 29, 1851, as
the "Borough of Mechanicsburg." This dis-
pleased Anthony Stewart, who secured the
passage of a supplementary act, February 24,
1853, changing the name to Stewartstown.
Benedict Meads .the first storekeeper, lived
on the east side of the main street,inthe next
building south of what is now Hartman's
store. Anthony Stewart, the founder was a
good mechanic himself and made a great
many of the old time spinning wheels. He
turned his attention to astronomy and natural
philosophy, and was somewhat of an inventive
genius. A tine marble monument costing
§400, was erected to his memory in the cem-
etery to the rear of the Presbyterian Church.
He was born in 1788, and died in 1866, aged
seventy-eight years. He was an albino.

During the early history of Stewartstown,
it was not by any means a temperance town,
but there has been no public house licensed
to sell intoxicating drinks within its limits
for nearly a quarter of a century.

Some of the postmasters who succeeded
Anthony Stewart were Jacob Forman, Agnes
Fulton, Mrs. Green, James A. Grove, William
Hartman and J. C. Hammond.

A new impetus to the growth and prosper-
ity of the town was given it in 1885 by the
completion of the railroad from this place to
join the Northern Central Railway at New
Freedom. The opening of the road was cel-
ebrated at Stewartstown, with great cere-
mony, September 10, 1885; about 3,000
people were present. The road is seven miles
long and cost $65,000. Col. W. W. Stewart
and J. S. Gilt, were the civil engineers.
James Fulton is president of the company;
J. W. Anderson, vice-president; A. G. Bow-
man, Andrew Anderson, Andrew Leib, John
B. Gemmill, John Wiley, John Marsteller,
William Hammel, Jacob Althouse, J. Y.
Keeney, M. W. Bahn and James C. Jordan,
director*

General stores are kept by James Fulton
& Son, W. W. Hartman, C. C. Prall; book-
store, by J. C. Hammond; tinware and stove
store, by E. H. Redding; drug store, by J.
H. Fulton; physicians, J. L. Free and J. R.



HOPEWELL TOWNSHIP.



Martin; notary public, J. E. Green; canning
factories, Col. Jordan and S. Gable; lumber
yards and planing-mills, R. M. Richey and
Hoshour, Dise & Co. A number of business
places have recently been opened, and the
future prospects of the town are very encour-
aging.

The Preshijte.rian Church. — The early his-
tory of this church is connected with the
"Union Associate Church of Mechanicsburg."
At a meeting held October 22, 1839, it was
determined to erect a church to be used by
different Christian denominations. The first
vestry consisted of Henry Anstine and Sam-
uel Baird, to represent the Methodist Protes-
tant denomination; Geu. Archibald Steele
Jordan and Henry Fulton, the Presbyterian;
Joseph Leib and Jacob Waltemeyer, the Bap-
tist, and Adam Ebaugh and Michael Kurtz,
the Reformed and Lutheran. Deeds for the
land were executed by George Anstine and
wife, William Griffith and wife and Henry
Ebaugh. On this land, which cost 145, a
house of worship, which is still standing, was
built, at a cost of $1,200. Benedict Meads
was the largest contributor, $50. Judge
Ebaugh who, at that time, was a member of
the State senate,' received some valuable con-
tributions to the church from his fellow mem-
bers. This building continued to be used by
several denominations for a number of years.
In 1844 Rev. Stephen Boyer, of York, organ-
ized the Presbyterian congregation with
David K. Ebaugh and Archibald Thompson,
as elders. Some of the first members were
James Anderson, James Smeaden, Dr. Henry
Ebaugh, Miss Jane Jordan (afterward Mrs.
Dr. Free), Robert Gemmill and James Jor-
dan. The last two became elders. Rev. S.
Hume Smith became stated supply of the
church June 17, 1845, and became full pas-
tor June 21, 1851. In 1848 the membership
was thirty-eight. The pastor died February
4, 1857; he was a graduate of Jefferson Col-
lege and a very efficient clergyman.

Rev. J. Y. Cowhick became a supply of
this church, and May 29, 1859, was or-
dained and installed pastor, and continued as
pastor of the Hopewell and Centre Chm'cbes
until 1873, when he resigned the Hopewell
charge.

The congregation continued to worship in
the Union Church until 1862, when the
present brick building was erected, for which
two acres of land were conveyed by Nicholas
Richey for $105. The church land was con-
veyed to Robert Gemmill, Levi Zeliers, Will-
iam Fulton, Henry Fulton, Henry Ham-
mond, David Anderson and Dr. John L.
Free, trustees. Robert Gemmill contracted



to build the church for $2,400, but was a
loser.

In June, 1875 Rev. J. Y. Cowhick re-
signed his charge and became pastor of a
Church in Cheyenne, Wyoming Territory.
Rev. J. M. McGauchy, a young man from
Princeton, was the successor, and was or-
dained and installed November 4, 1875, and
began a series of meetings lasting five weeks,,
during which time fifty new members were-
added to the congregation. After a term of
three successful years, Rev. McGauchy ac-
cepted a charge at Laramie, Wyoming Ter-
ritory.

January 5, 1879, Rev. W. H. Fentress, of
Baltimore became a supply, who, at the early
age of five years had lost his sight. Rev. H.
B. Scott, was installed pastor in 1879, and
served until September, 1882. The present
pastor is Rev. A. S. Fox. He is a graduate
of Bethany College, Virginia, and of Yale
Theological Seminary. The church has
recently been repaired, and is now a neat
and attractive building. It was dedicated
October 29, 1885. (The author is under
many obligations to Prof. J. A. Murphy for
the facts in the history of this church.)

The Methodist Episcopal Church. — The-
first services of this church, 1833, were
held in the dwelling house of John Leib,
and afterward in a schoolhouse, about one
mile south of the town, near the site of
Col. Jordan's canning factory. It was orig-
inally called "Hopewell Methodist Episcopal
Church," and the hoii.-5e of worship built of
logs stood below town, at the present
burying ground. The ministers who served
this congregation during its early history,
belonged to the Castle Fin Circuit, and their
names will be found in the sketch of Lower
Chanceford, in this work. Of the first mem-
bers, Mrs. Catharine Gable and Mrs. Bar-
ba,ra Bowman are still living.

In 1872 the present Methodist Episcopal
Church was built at a cost of $11,000, and
the old building below town was torn down.
Revs. John E. Lloyd and E. A. Deaver were
then the circuit preachers, followed by Revs.
J. M. Clarke, J. Russell, Asbury Geyer, H>
R. Bender, B. F. Stevens, N. W. Colburn
and P. P. Strawinski. Church member-
ship, 120; Sunday-school membership, 200
pupils.

Zion Methodist Episcopal Church. — This
church is located about three miles east of
Stewartstown, was built about 1845. The
Methodists of this congregation original-
ly belonged to the Stewartstown Church.
This now has a membership of sixty-five and
a Sunday-school of eighty-five pupils.



754



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY.



There is a Methodist Episcopal Church
near Cross Eoads Postoffice, which also be-
longs to the Stewartstown Circuit.

There is also a Methodist Protestant
Church in Stewartstown. -



THE BOROUGH OF WINTERSTOWN.

About 1830, Townsend Winter, of Steu-
ben County, N. Y., purchased of the heirs
of Kev. John Smith, 400 acres of land for
$2,000, on which the scattered borough of
Winterstown is now built. The land then
had become very poor, and Winter, like an in-
genious Yankee, turned his attention to clear-
ing off the woodland. The name first given
to the town was "Apple Grove," on account
of the abundance of that fruit. He sold oif
his land in large lots and commenced to
build the house now owned and occupied by
Daniel Brenneman, who purchased it of him
while in course of erection. He last lived
in the house now occupied by Henry Landis.
In order that he might perpetuate his own
name, before moving to Galesbm-g, 111.,
where he died, a few years, ago, he had the
name changed to Winterstown, which was
retained when a charter of incorporation into
a borough was obtained. The survey was
made by Wilson Norris. The population in
1880 was 199. It has increased very little
since. This borough is in the northern part
of the township, distant aboiit twelve miles
from York and seven miles from Stewarts-
town. The first store was kept by Emanuel
Klinefelter, now of Shrewsbury. Graham &
Snyder do a business in general merchandise
in the south end of town, and Daniel S.
Mitzel has a similar store in the north end.
C. Geesy is proprietor of the hotel. There
is but one school building, which was built
a few years ago at a cost of $700. The terra
is five months; State appropriation, $45. The
board of school directors for 1885 were
Joseph Snyder, president; George N. Joeckle,
secretary; Dr. C. Y. Hildebrand, Daniel
Hildebrand, Joel Hildebrand and Henry
Landis. Chief burgess, Levi Strayer; eoun-
cilmen, Frank Brenneman. Cornelius Hake,
J. W. Brenneman, Charles Kibler and Daniel
Brenneman. Justice of the peace, Frank
Strayer. The meeting house, in the e.xtreme
northern part of the borough, belongs to the
German Baptists. (See page 387. )

Church of the United Brethren in Clirist. —
The first class of this church at Winters-
town was organized about 1830. Rev. Fred-
erick Flinchbach then organized the scat-
tered adherents into a congregation that first
worshiped in dwelling houses and barns.



Successful camp-meetina;3 were held in the
vicinity. In the year 1868, Rev. John H.
Young held a revival meeting in the barn of
John Strayer, which resulted in many addi-
tions to the congregation. The following
year a church was built. The trustees then
were: .John Strayer, Granville Jackson, A.
E. Fulton and Rev. Peter Carl, minister in
charge. The ministers of this circuit since
organization have been: Christian S. Crider,
Henry Greenblade, J. S. Wentz, Tobias
Crider, W. H. Craumer, J. H. Young, A. H.
Rice, Samuel Enterline, Isaac Coomes, W.
B. Raber, Jesse Cline, L. Kohr, and J. C.
Smith. Trustees now are A. F. Strayer,
John Brenneman, Elias Grim and J. W.
Strayer. Church membership is sixty; Sun-
day-school has sixty-five pupils. W. H. Sny-
der is superintendent.

Mount Olivet Church. — This church of
United Brethren in Christ is situated in
Hopewell, two and one-half miles east of
Shrewsbury. Rev. J. C. Smith, G. W.
Lightner and W. H. Craumer were the first
clergymen to preach the doctrines of this
denomination in the vicinity. Rev. Lewis
Kohr organized a class in 1881, and the fol-
lowing year a church was built and dedicated
by Rev. L. Peters, presiding elder. The
trustees were: Charles Gable, H. C. Reh-
meyer and A. F. Strayer. The congregation
has forty members and is growing. A Sun-
day-school, with seventy-five pupils, is held
in the church the entire year. Charles Gable
is superintendent.

CROSS ROADS POSTOFFICE.

This has long been a place of interest in
Hopewell. The old much traveled wagon
road from Wrightsville and Columbia to
Baltimore passes this point and four other
roads diverge from it. Robert Smith half a
century ago began store keeping here. He
was followed by John Leight; William S.
Logan has conducted the mercantile business
for twenty-six years; John Logan who by the
way, is quite a local historian, has been post-



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 153 of 218)