John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 154 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 154 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


master at Cross Roads for forty-nine years.
He received his appointment under President
Van Buren, and has held the oflfice contin-
uously since. Mr. Logan is the son of James
Logan who emigrated from County of An-
trim, Ireland, and located in Hopewell in
1801 and died in Cumberland County in
1817. The Methodist Church of this place,
belongs to the Stewartstown Circuit. Dr. T.
M. Currans a graduate of the University of
Pennsylvania has practiced medicine at Cross
Roads for twenty- eight years. Frank's Rock,



HOPEWELL TOWNSHIP.



three quarters of a mile north of Cross Koada
Postoffice, obtained its name from a civilized
Indian who had a wigwam there after the
whites had settled around him. There is
now a saw-mill owned by Frederick J. Myers
near this spot. The ' 'Old Round Hill Church"
stood about one and a half miles north of
Cross Roads Postoffice. The burying ground •
is still carefully enclosed. The first person
interred in it, a man named Liggett, was
frozen to death while hunting deer in a deep
snow during the year 1760 or thereabouts.
Tradition says he was found dead leaning
against a tree with his gun grasped firmly in
his hand; a giant white oak with its spreading
branches, stands in the centre of this historic
spot. This tree was doutless there when the
first white settler came.

HOPEWELL CENTRE.

William Wallace, now a resident of York,
in 1849 purchased a tract of land at this place
for $13.50 an acre. The same land now
and many of the surrounding farms are ex-
ceedingly fertile and productive and worth
many times their original cost. In 1850 Mr.
W^allace secured the establishment of a post-
office, and named it "Hopewell Centre." He
opened a store in 1851 which he conducted
until 187-4, when his son James W. Wallace
succeeded him and is now the proprietor.
William Watson was postmaster for a time.
A few years ago James 'W. Wallace was
appointed.

In 1825 Capt. James Wallace organized a
rifle company, called the Washington Greens,
composed of 125 men. They were uniformed
in green suits, trimmed with red, and wore
a helmet. The members were all from Hope-
well. This company continued to exist with
a different uniform, but under the same
name for nearly half a century. They drilled
regularly and are said to have been one of
the finest looking companies in the county.
Some of the original membei's belonged to it
until it disbanded. The commanding officers
at different times were Capts. Wallace,
Sampson, Smith, Collins and Campbell. In
1860 some of the members of the "Washing-
ton Greens" and others formed themselves
into a company which was called the "Hope-
well Centre Guards," and were commanded
by Capt. William Wallace. This company
drilled frequently, but eventually thirty-two
of the fifty men, which composed it, entered
the Union Army, eleven of whom yielded
up their lives on the battle fields of our sister
State, Virginia, in order that our nation
might live. Hopewell Township, as a



whole, did well for our country's cause
during the dark times of our civil war.

" THE KING OF THE BARRENS. "

Andrew Finly, or Finley, a bold, auda-
cious Scotch-Irishman, emigrated from Coun-
ty Antrim, North Ireland, to this country in
1732. He landed at New Castle, Del.,
proceeded with others to this county, and
purchased a tract of land,on which the village
of Winterstown is built. Tradition gives
Finly a great deal of prominence in the lower
end of the county. He was a sort of modern
Shylock, demanding, not a pound of flesh
however from every person to whom he
loaned money, but a quart of pure old rye,
together with the principal and interest.
This inspiriting fluid was all placed in one
large demijohn and dealt out to his friends
who visited him on convivial occasions.
He was called by his neighbors the "King of
the Barrens." Before his death, he em-
ployed James McCandless, a schoolmaster of
the olden time, also a justice of the peace,
to write some verses which were to be placed
on his tomb. The ingenious Scotchman,
who, it is said, was able to repeat nearly the
whole of the poems of Robert Burns from
memory, and had acquired quite a local
reputation as an amateur poet, was unable to
please Finly, at the first attempt, as the
verses were not laudatory enough to please
his vanity and ambition, believing with
the immortal Shakespeare that

"The evil that men do lives after them,
The good is oft interred with their bones." ■

In order to prevent this he demanded
that McCandless consult the Muses and
make another attempt. The poet finally
produced the following effusion, which
pleased his master, and it is neatly carved on
the marble slab which covers his tomb, in the
old "Round Hill" graveyard, about three miles
southeast of Winterstown, in this township.

"ANDRE FINLEY died in the year 1800.
His pilgrimage on earth was four score years and

three.
In his early youth he bravely served His Majesty,
In whose army lie was a captain bold,
And fought for honor, not for sake of gold.
Firm and undaunted he had courage brave
And drew his sword his country for to save."

There is another couplet relating to his
kindness to the poor, which is not clearly

i legible. A difficulty arose between the poet
and his lord as to the charge for his services,

i which was not adjusted until after the death
of the latter, when McCandless laid in a bill
of £10, or about $50, for the epitaph and
recovered it. Finley, who doubtless had



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY".



many virtues, even if he was possessed of
considerable vanity, left no children and his
young wife died many years before him.
He lived in a comfortable home, now in the
limits of Winterstown. He served as lieu-
tenant of a company of soldiers from his
section that, in 1758, joined Gen. Forbes"
expedition against the Indians, and after-
ward was at the surrender of Fort DuQuesne,
now Pittsburg. Part of his land around
Wintertown was given, by will, to a relative,
who became the wife of Rev. John Smith,
and who, with her husband, moved to
Steuben County, N. Y. The tract for many
years lay as an open common, surrounded by
valuable timber laud. It was a great resort
for sportsmen during this period, in quest of
wild pigeons which were found abundantly
there.

HISTORICAL NOTES AND INCIDENTS.

William Sinclair, an officer in the Eevolu-
tionary army, owned what is now known as
Henry's Mill, in this township. His death
occurred in 1817, and his remains were in-
terred with the honors of war, in the old
"Round Hill Graveyard."

The Pennsylvania Herald, printed at
York, in its issue of May 2, 1798, has the
following:

"On Saturday, the 2lBt of April last. Capt.
Collins' company, in Hopewell Township, in
this county, at the usual place of muster, on
hearing the President's (Adams) message to
both Houses of Congress, respecting the re-
ception of our Envoys to the French Repub-
lic, unanimously agreed to turn out Volun-
teers on the shortest notice, well equipped
at their own expense, in defence of their
country."

The York Republican, of September 20,
1843, contains the following:

Died at his residence in Hopewell, in this county
on the ICth of September, Mr. Alexander Thomp-
son, at the advanced age of eighty-four years, six
months and sixteen days. Mr. Thompson was a
soldier of the Revolution, and his death diminishes
the number of the small remnant of the heroes and
patriots of that era. He resided during his long
life at the homestead in which he was born and he
was interred in his native soil on the Sabbath after
his decease, his remains being attended to the grave
by a large concourse of his friends and neighbors.

He was the father of Archibald Thompson
of Hopewell and grandfather of A. Duncan
Thompson, late clerk to the county commis-
sioners.

Hon. James Purdy, for sisty-five years a
member of the Mansfield (Ohio) bar, was
born in Hopewell Township, November 24,
1793. In 1811 he moved with his parents to



New Hopewell Township, Ontario Co., N.
Y., to which place a great many families
from York County moved about the same
time. He was a soldier on the Niagara
frontier in the war of 1812-15. In 1820 he
located at Mansfield, Ohio, where he has
since practiced law, and for many years has
been president of the Farmers National
Bank of Mansfield. August 29, 1885, he
stated in a letter to the writer: "To-day I
drafted a bill in equity, my last professional
case." He was then ninety-two years old.

Thomas Jordan, Esq., of Hopewell Town-
ship, died on the 8th of December, 1819.
"He was an active friend of his country
during the Revolution. For many years he
was a prominent justice of the peace, and
was highly respected in his neighborhood."
{York Gazette.)

Joseph Allison was appointed a justice of
the peace by the Governor to succeed him.

Maj. Gemmill was called the "King of the
Barrens" after the death of Capt. Andrew
Finley.

Samuel Cameron was accidentally killed
while firing a salute in front of the house of
Maj. Gemmill, May 10, 1826. He and
others were on their way to a military
parade.

Lieut. Kurtz was accidentally killed in
York by a bayonet, on the same day.

The first battalion of Col. Robert Colvin's
regiment was trained and exercised at the
house of Capt. William Allison in Hopewell
on Tuesday May 9, 1820. and was inspected
by Brigade Inspector A. S. Jordon. On the sec-
ond Monday of December, 1819, the same regi-
ment, the Sixty-fourth Pennsylvania Militia,
met and drilled at the house of Abraham
Miller, in same township. The same regiment
on May 4, 1821, was inspected by Gen. Jor-
don at the house of Samuel Smith.

"The MechanicsburgRifles" was a volunteer
military company, organized in 1835, and
drilled fourteen years. Hon. Adam Ebaugh,
now strong and vigorous at the advanced age
of eighty-two, was captain of this com-
pany.

One of the traditionary stories of Hopewell
is as follows:

Some time before the Revolution an In-
dian came to the blacksmith -shop of Will-
iam McClurg, who followed this trade on the
place now owned by John Blake in Winters-
town. The red man wanted his gun repaired,
the blacksmith told him that he had no coal.
The Indian then said: "Give me a basket and
mattock and I will get you coal." They
were furnished him and he went in the direc-
tion of Sinclair's Mill (Henry's). McClurg



faavjST township.



desiring to find out the secret, quietly fol-
lowed the Indian, but fearing he might lose
his way returned to his home. The Indian
soon after returned, bringing with him the
desired coal. Some time later, during a
flood of the Codorus, which brought down
drift wood, a large stump had tightly grown
around it tine specimens of anthracite coal.
The stump was exposed by the flood. This
is supposed to be the 23lace the Indian got
his coal.

We give this story for the benefit of the
reader and let him judge for himself
whether it be true. The geological forma-
tion of Hopewell would not indicate that
there ever was native coal in it. " We will
sell this story as we bought it."

William Douglass of Chanceford shot a
wild bear in Hopewell in 1828. It was the
last one seen in the lower end of the county.
Deer were shot as late as 1883 and wild
turkeys somewhat later. James Logan shot
a white deer in Hopewell in 1830. A wolf
was killed in 1828.



THE TOWNSHIP OF FAWN.

THIS was one of the first townships in
the county, and as originally laid out
included Peach Bottom, which formed a part
of it until 1815. The name Fawn is signif-
icant, and interesting, yet very rarely used
in geographical science to designate a place.
Some of the oldest citizens of this township
recall the time when deer were plentiful
within its limits. Fawn as at present
formed, is bounded on the east by Peach
Bottom, on the South by the State of Mary-
land, on the west by Hopewell, and on the
north by Lower Chanceford, with the Mud-
dy Creek forming the northern boundary
line. The township is drained by this stream
and its tributaries. The soil, which for
more than a centurj' was considered unfer-
tile and non-productive, by improved culti-
vation has become remarkably fertile and
productive, yielding as much corn, wheat
and other cereals to the acre as any other
portion of York County. The increase of
the amount of wheat grown within the past
decade is truly wonderful. Tobacco has re-
cently become a very profitable crop in this
township, and the cultivation of it is likely
to increase. The population of Fawn in
1880 was 1,685.

There was an Indian town on the farm of



John Smithson in Fawn. The Indians were
yet in the neighborhood when Richard Webb,
grandfather of John Webb, located in the
township. There are Indian graves on the
farm of Emanuel Bullett, one mile east of
Fawn Grove, and on the Scott farm near
New Park, an Indian hut on the Manstellar
farm, and a number of wigwams on the farm
of R. Duncan Brown, on which his grand-
father settled in 1764.

The township was originally settled almost
entirely by the Scotch-Irish, and some of the
land was taken up under Maryland titles be-
fore a definite provincial line was run.
Some Quakers settled in the vicinity of
Fawn Grove.

FAWN TOWNSHIP IN 1783.

In 1783 the population of this township,
including Peach Bottom, was 783. There
were 39 slaves, 118 dwelling houses, 89
barns, 8 mills and 18,100 acres of land taken
up. The following is a complete list of
the names of the taxable inhabitants for
the year 1783, together with the number
of acres owned by each and valuation in
pounds sterling:

Francis Armstrong, 50 acres £13

James Alexander, 40 acres, 3 mills 332

Isaac Alexander, 201 acres 11.5

Thomas Allen, 135 acres 100

Robert Adair, 50 acres 36

William Adams, 100 acres 51

John Alexander, 30 acres 18

Stephen AUaway, 20 acres 14

Allen Anderson, 100 acres 57

William Anderson, 69 acres 176

Humphrey Andrew 14

John Bullock, 40 acres 10

Eliezer Brown, 100 acres 113

James Buchanan, 300 acres 114

Samuel Buchanan, 310 acres 138

Moses Bennington 16

Thomas Brannen, 100 acres 68

Thomas Brannen, Jr., 100 acres 60

Thomas Brown, 153 acres 103

William Boyd, 3 horses 9

Samuel Black, 50 acres .53

Nathaniel Baldwin, 100 acres 52

Jonathan Burgess 18

Jeremiah Bariiet, 50 acres 30

Alex Cooper, 600 acres, 3 slaves 317

Thomas Cooper, 600 acres, 4 slaves 554

Nicholas Cooper, 138 acres 339

Matthew Clark, 300 acres 166

Robert Caldwell, 100 acres 101

Samuel Caldwell, 100 acres 75

John Commons, 70 acres 26

James Cord, 130 acres 74

Samuel Cummings, 60 acres 30

Archibald Cooper, 200 acres 93

John Cooper, 130 acres, 1 horse 65

David Cooper, 100 acres 55

Samuel Crow, 300 acres. . . .? Ill

Ann Carson, 274 acres, 1 slave 88

William Colvin, 273 acres 118

Benjamin Cunningham, 350 acres 203

Patrick Clemmons, 83 acres 14

William Cooper, 175 acres 107



758



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY.



Patrick Curly, 50 acres 20

Martin Cortz, 100 acres 74

Peter Cortz, 100 acres 81

Agnew Gilchrist, 139 acres 81

John Campbell 18

John Cox, 80 acres 40

John Dauglierty 4

Joseph Dame 3

Robert Dunlap, 150 acres 47

John Day, 140 acres 91

Robert Duncan, 394 acres 238

Patrick Ewing. 60 acres 22

Hugh Edgar, 136 acres 85

Samuel Edgar, 328 acres 178

Alexander Ewing, Jr., 50 acres 26

Alexander Ewing, 75 acres 51

Mary Fulton, 200 acres 118

Elijah Forsy the, 30 acres 7

Adam Fondrew, 100 acres 50

Henry Graham 2

Thomas Gordon 2

James Gordon, 200 acres 95

Jacob Gibson, 150 acres, 1 slave, 1 mill 166

Robert Gordon, 100 acres 47

John Glasgow, 100 acres 50

Robert Gibson, 50 acres 32

John Brown Gordan 16

Robert Gilkerson, 250 acres 87

William Gray, 200 acres 131

John Guist, 200 acres 109

John Hamilton, 100 acres, 1 slave 131

Levay Hopkins, 200 acres ....'. 123

Jeremiah Hayton, 80 acres 54

Archibald Harvey, 10 acres 12

John Harbison, 100 acres 40

Josiah Hitchcock, 200 acres 114

Jesse Jarret, 100 acres 50

Ann Jones. 60 acres 41

Benjamin Jones, 107 acres 47

Joseph Johnston, 50 acres 47

Samuel Kincade, 370 acres 116

Joseph Kathcart, 365 acres 171

.John Lemmon. 40 acres 4

Henry Long, 100 acres 39

John Livingston, 60 acres 31

John McLean, 50 acres, 3 slaves. .' 75

Edward Moore 2

John Major 13

George Mitchell, 200 acres : 95

Thomas Mattson, 30 acres 21

Robert Miller, 100 acres 49

Robert Mooberry, 100 acres 66

James McMullen, 200 acres 107

Edward Manifold, 400 acres 236

George Mitchell, Jr. , 250 acres 76

George Mitchell, Sr., 1.50 acres 79

William Mantle, 150 acres 89

James Milligan, 185 acres, ■. 60

John McKitruk, 50 acres 23

William McCleary, 186 acres 109

James McCullough, 160 acres 86

John Mum, 97 acres 36

John McCleland. 7

James McCaijdless, 756 acres, 2 slaves. 407

.Joseph Mitchell, 150 acres, 1 still 68

Hugh McFaddon, 85 acres 37

Israel Morris, 170 acres 110

Thomas Neill, 140 acres 72

John Neill, 140 acres 53

George NichoU, 300 acres, 1 mill, 1 still. 169

Wniiam Porter, 340 acres, 1 saw-mill, 3 slaves.. 507

John Parks, 75 acres 53

William Parker, 178 acres 80

.James Parker, 107 acres 71

James Refid, 75 acres 37

Walter Robinson, 157 acres 31

William Robinson, 85 acres 60

Joseph Ross, 200 acres 99



* William Rowan, 345 acres 105

William Reed, 75 acres 42

Andrew Richie, 120 acres 59

John Ralston, 100 .acres 64

Jumes Ramsey, 396 acres, 3 slaves, 8 persons. . . 326

John Rowland, 50 acres 33

Alex Ramsey, 100 acres 37

Cunningham Simple, 360 acres, 4 slaves 384

Patrick.Sloan 9

John Simple, 1005 acres, 1 still; 4 slaves 565

Thomas Steel, 283 acres 117

Rachael Steel, 160 acres, 1 slave 55

Patrick Scott, 372 acres, 1 slave 172

John Suter, 115 acres 56

John Sharp, 80 acres 37

William Sharp, 80 acres 37

Rev. John Slemmons, 230 acres, 3 slaves 244

James Smith, 98 acres 78

Thomas Smith, 100 acres 50

John Taylor, 115 acres 70

James Threw 7

John Taggert, 50 acres 19

Robert Torbit, 300 acres 112

Alex Turner, 30 acres, 1 grist-mill, 1 saw-mill. . 287

Alex Threw, 110 acres 49

Nathaniel Wyley, 73 acres 18

Hugh Whiteford, 100 acres 50

John Whitecker, 140 acres 81

John Wilson, 300 acres. . . .■ 209

Richard Webb, 133 acres 96

William Wallace, 140 acres 69

James Webb 14

Joseph Wiley, 394 acres 183

Samuel Wattson, 120 acres 56

James Wiley, 150 acres 89

Isaac Whitelock, 100 acres 50

Joseph Wiley, Sr 7

James Edgar, 150 acres 114

Samuel West, 100 acres. . . ,, 52

George West, 100 acres 43

SINGLE MEN.

Thomas Alexander. Eli Adams.

Joshua Brown. William Atchison.

Jesse Bathers. Patrick Downey. .

Alexander Ewing. William Kinard.

William Hepson. Samuel McFadden.

John Howell. Thomas Scott.

George Suter. Joseph Scott.

Joseph White. Solomon Watson.

Henry Todd. John Bovd.



CENTRE PEESBYTEKIAN CHURCH.

The date of the organization of Centre
Church was about the year 1780. Decembe
15, 1782, Alexander liamsay, David Wiley,
James Denny, Joseph Wiley and Joseph
Cathcart, trustees, purchased from William
Gray, for the sum of £3, three acres of land,
"on which is to be erected a meeting house
by a congregation called Centre." It is evi-
dent there was a permanent organization in
1782. How the church received its name is
unknown. Divine service, after the Presbyr
terian form, was conducted at this point sev-
eral years before an organization was effected.
The first pastor was Rev. George Luckey, a
native of Fagg's Manor, Penn. , who gradu-
ated at Princeton in 1772, and was licensed



FAWN TOWNSHIP.



by the presbytery of New Gastle, 1776. He
was ordained at Chestnut Level, Pean., April
27, 1785, and installed, previous to August
30 of the same year, as pastor of Centre and
Bethel Churches.

In 1786 Baltimore Presbytery was erected
out of the presbytery of New Castle, and
Centre Church and its pastor were set over
to that presbytery. There they continued
until 1799, when they were set back again to
New Castle. Mr. Luckey was moderator of
the presbytery of Baltimore in 1796, and its
clerk for many years. He was moderator of
the presbytery of New Castle in 1804. He
continued to serve Centre Church for a period
of thirty-four years, until April 6, 1819.
He died December 13, 1823, and was buried
in the cemetery at Bethel, Harford Co.,
Md., where a marble tomb, erected by the
church he so long and faithfully served,
marks his last resting place.

Mr. Luckey is spoken of as a fine scholar,
an intelligent preacher, plain in his manners,
unwearying in labor, and unexcelled in his
acquaintance with the Scriptures. The next
pastor was Eev. Samuel Parke, who was li-
censed by the presbytery of New Castle at
St. George's, Del., April 7, 1813, and
ordained August 10, 1814. At a meeting of
the presbytery, April 4, 1820, a call from
Centre for one-third of Mr. Parke's time was
presented and accepted by him. He was
installed May 2, 1820. Centre congregation
was then worshiping in a log building
familiarly known as the "tent," which had
succeeded a similar structure removed some
years before. In 1821 the house of worship
now in use was built, and is an enduring
monument to the energy of the pastor and
the liberality of his people.

In 1842 the presbytery of New Castle was
divided and out of it Donegal was organized.
Centre Church and its pastor were now under
the care of Donegal Presbytery. Mr. Parke
resigned December, 1848, after a pastorate
of twenty-eight years and seven months.

Of him it can be said that he labored
faithfully for the cause of the church and
the good of man. In pastoral work he ex-
celled, after traversing the eleven miles from
his home to minister to the spiritual wants
of his people. He died 20, 1869, in his
eighty-second year, and was buried in the
cemetery at Slate Ridge. On April 17, 18r)0,
a call from Centre Church for the pastoral i
services of Rev. Samuel Hume Smith, who '
was installed pastor June 21, 1851, and con- {
tinned to minister to this church with great
acceptance until his death, which occurred
February 4, 1857. His remains were in-



terred in the cemetery at Chanceford Church,
where a neat monument was erected to his
memory.

On May 6, 1859, a call was presented to
the presbytery by Centre (vhurch, for the
pastoral services of Rev. J. Y. Cowhick for
one-fourth of his time. He was installed
pastor of Centre Church, June 10, 1859.

During his pastorate the union of the "old"
and the "new school" branches of the Presby-
terian Church occurred. As a memorial of
this event, a fiind of $700 was raised for
church repairs. A cornice extension was put
to the roof, new blinds on the windows; a
new pulpit and new pews were placed in the
church, and the whole repainted. This
work was completed and paid for July 20,
1871. Rev. Cowhick resigned June 14, 1875.
His pastorate lasted sixteen years.

Rev. Johnston McGaughey, a licentiate of
the presbytery of New Brunswick, was
ordained November 4, 1875, and pastor of
Centre Church the next day, to give one-half
of his time to this church. He continued
until February 17, 1879, when he resigned.

The present pastor is Rev. R. L. Clark, to
whom the writer hereby returns his grateful
thanks for this history. He was licensed, by
the presbytery of Westminister, April 11,
1877.

June 16, 1879, the congregation of
Centre made out a unanimous call for his
pastoral services for the whole of his time;
the church for the first time in its history,
determining to have the full service of its
pastor.

September 11, 1879, this call was presented
to him by the presbytery of Westminster,
and accepted. The same day he was ordained
and installed pastor. In 1880 a parsonage
was built near the church at a cost of $3,500.

Centre Church was incorporated May 21,
1883. The congregation, in 1885, has 182
members, and the Sabbath-school ]60 mem-



FAWN GROVE BOROUGH.

This pleasant little borough is situated in
the southeastern part of the township, one-
fourth of a mile from the Maryland line.
The land in and around the town was settled
first by the Scotch-Irish, who were followed
soon after by the Friends. Some of the early
settlers in the vicinity were the Tomkins,
Brooks, Johnsons; Webbs? Wilsons, Bennetts,
Bonds, Lukens, Spencers, Joneses, etc., whose
descendants now live here. The site upon
which the town is built was a sporting ground
for young deer, which were very numerous at



760



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY,



the time of the first settlement, aadfoi- a long
while afterward. Owing to the large grove
Bear by, some one suggested that the place be
called "Fawn Grove," which was accepted.
A charter of incorporation was granted in



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 154 of 218)