John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 159 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 159 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


cultivated farm of his father's estate spreads itself.
He breaths pure air, drinks spring water, supplies
his table from his own garden, and catches inspira-
tion from all his surroundings for the vigorous work
which he has done in the promotion of a healthy
and honest policy for the commonwealth.

A. R. BLAIR. M. D.. was born in Strasburg.
Lancaster Co.. Penn., in 1836; is a son of .Tames and
Jean (Campbell) Blair, and is of Scotch-Irish origin.
His father was born in Ireland in 1790, and his
mother in Pennsylvania in 1795. He first came to
York in 1850. He received an academic education
at the schools of Maryland and southern Pennsyl-
vania. He read medicine under Dr. Samuel
Kenagy of Strasburg, Penn., and Dr. Theo. Haller
of York, and also attended lectures at Jefferson
Medical College, Philadelphia, from which he grad-
uated in March, 1853. The same year (18.53) he
located in York and practiced until 18.56. when he
was elected superintendent of the public schools of
York County. Heresignedinl862 and was appoint-
ed acting assistant surgeon by Gen. William A.



Hammond, surgeon-general. United States Army.
He remained in this service until September, 1865,
and immediately resumed the practice of his pro-
fession. He is a member of the York County Med-
ical Association. State Medical Association and
American Medical Association. In 1864 he married
Miss Cassandra Morris Small, daughter of the late
Phillip A. and Sarah Small, of York. One child
has been born to him, Philip A. The Doctor was
formerly a Whig, but is now a Republican, and he
and Mrs. Blair are members of the Presbyterian
Church.

DR. T. A. BLAKE was born in Little Britain
Township. Lancaster Co.. Penn., April 30, 1846;
moved to Winterstown, York County, in 1852, and
remained with his father on the farm, attending
school in the winter season until August, 1864. when
he enlisted in the Third Pennsylvania Heavy
Artillery; was discharged at Camp Hamilton, Va.,
June 7. 1865; came home and attended the Pleasant
Grove Academy until the summer of 1868. He then
took up the study of dentistry; attended the Balti-
more Dental College, during the sessions of 1868
and 1869, and has been in the continuous practice of
dentistry since. He was married in September, 1873.
to Helen M., daughter of Ambrose and Annie (Mil-
ler) McGuinyan. They have one child — Abbie A.
Dr. Blake has held the "office of justice of the peace
of Winterstown for eight years. He is a member of
the Brotherhood and of the G. A. R.

HENRY BOLL, boot and shoe dealer, was born
in York. February 13, 1843, and is a son of Jacob
and Gertrude (Werkman) Boll. His parents were
born in Germany and came to America in 1836 and
settled inY'ork. At twelve years of age oursubject
began learning the shoemaker's trade under his
father. In 1867 he began as a dealer and has since
continued. He now has a full line of all kinds of
boots and shoes and is prepared at all times to give
his customers first-class goods at the most reason-
able prices. His marriage occurred August 37,1865.
to Mary A. Kahler, a native of York. They have
five children: 0. Bowan, Ella M., Ida Kate,Willia;m
H. and Virginia Gertrude Mary. Mr. Boll was a
soldier in the late war; he enlisited in 1865 and
served a short time. He is an active and influential
Democrat and has been assessor of the FirstWard for
nine consecutive yeai-s, and is secretary of the
Mechanics' and Workingmen's Building and Loan
Association, and Anchor Building and Loan Asso-
ciation of York, Penn.

OLIVER .L BOLLINGER, whose portrait ap-
pears in this work, is a well-known inventor and
manufacturer of turbine water-wheels and mill
machinery. He was born in Adams County, Penn.,
April 13, 1827, and is the only child of Matthias
and Elizabeth (Eckert) Bollinger, and of German
lineage. His father was a native of Carroll County,
Md., born in 1801. He became a resident of York
County in 1838. settling in Codorus Township,
where he resided until his death, in 1879. He was
a millwright by trade, and was actively engaged in
that branch of industry for over forty years. Our
subject's early life was passed upon a farm, receiv-
ing his education in the common schools, the White
Hall Academy and the Pennsylvania Commercial
Institute. His father being a millwright, at the
age of eighteen he left the farm and apprenticed
himself to the millwright trade, under his father,
where he remained several years, acquiring a thor-
ough knowledge of the business, and finally suc-
ceeded his father, who. retiring, left the entire
control to the son. Mr. Bollinger has continued
the business successfully since then, a period of
forty years, and is today probably the oldest and
best known, as he is certainly the best qualified.
It is but natural to one who dates his knowledge of
mills and machinery from infancy, and his attempts



-^?^ .f^i^.




(^ f-n.^i^^j,^



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



at mill construction from the iack-knife, the shin-
gle and the country stream or roadside brook.where
his childish ambition reveled in its fancied great
accomplishment of his efforts. In 1860 he took up
the manufacture of the Jonval turbine water-wheel,
but an experience of several years demonstrated
clearly to him that improvements were not only
desirable, but necessary, and after a long period of
experiments and attempts at different constructions,
he, in June, 1870, patented and gave to the trade the
old Bollinger turbine water-wheel, sometimes
styled the "'Success." Though he afterward dis-
posed of the right and title to manufacture that
wheel, it was destined for him to perfect another,
styled "Bollinger's new turbine water-wheel," June
1, 1875, and to this new wheel he is devoting his
time and attention, offering the same to the public
with elaborate explanation by catalog and cir-
cular. To his manufacture of water-wheels he
adds mill machinery, and we particularly call the
attention of those interested, to his inventions of
mill-stone supports and driving devices, which
reflect much credit upon the inventor and give the
trade articles of sterling value. In 1874 Mr. Bollin-
ger became one of the members of the York Manu-
facturing Company, then just started, and took
position in the firm as mechanical engineer and
foreman of the shops. He remained there for two
years, when, realizing the value of his new wheel,
he began devoting all his time to it, and so he con-
tinues to-day.

It can be said, in brief, that the new Bollinger
turbine water-wheel, patented June 1, 187.5, is the
result and embodiment of the inventor's valuable
experience of about thirty-five years in the design-
ing and construction of water-wheels and mill
machinery, and that in this turbine, good and well-
tried features have been preserved, while register
gales, pivot or claptrap gates, cams, eccentrics,
racks and pinions under water, worm-gears, wind-
lasses, and all such trappy and complicated devices
which have heretofore rendered turbine wheels
troublesome, impracticable and worthless, have
been dispensed with, and substituted by new and
substantial improvements, protected by letters
patent. All wheels and machinery are built under
the immediate supervision of the inventor, who
invites the special attention of wheel builders and
wheel buyers.

Mr. B'oUinger has for sixteen years been a resi-
dent of York, and has added much to its progressive
business interests. He belongs to that class of men
who, active and fertile in mechanical and inventive
resources, have done much to give life and reality
to the ideas which emanate only from men of
natural inborn meclianical attributes. In 1856 he
was united in marriage with Susan C. Fife, a native
of York County and daughter of .John and Eliza-
beth Fife. To this marriage were born three chil-
dren. Mrs. Bollinger died in 1883, at forty-five
years of age. For twenty-five years Mr. Bollinger
has been a member of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church. Politically he is a Republican, and has
served as a member of the borough council. Affa-
ble and of a kindly nature, warm in his friendships
and sincere in his attachments, he is regarded as a
good citizen, alive to all matters pertaining to his
city's welfare, a reliable, straightforward business
and moral man.

EMANUEL W. BOWMAN, dealer in coal and
wood, was born in Springfield Township, August 1,
1830, to George and Catherine (Walter) Bowman,
and is of German origin. The father of Mr. Bow-
man was born in Chanceford Township, March 14,
1803, and his mother in North Codorus, Decem-
ber 27, 1807. The paternal grandfather of our
subject was Philip Bowman. The father of Mr. Bow-
man was a farmer, whose death occurred on Novem-



ber 28, 1884. His mother died on March 27, 1838.

When our subject was about eight years of age, he

removed with his parents to Adam's County, where

he remained until his seventeenth year, when they

removed to Carroll County, Md., where they re-

I mained a short time, and then returned to York

j County. In 1855 he went to Cumberland County,

1 Upper Allen Township, where he remained until

I the beginning of the war, when he again i-eturned

to York County and settled in Franklin Township.

i He enlisted August 30, 1864, in Company I, Two

Hundred and Ninth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and

j was honorably discharged at the close of the war.

In February, 1867, he returned to York, where he

[ has since resided. For nine years he was employed

by the Northern Central Railroad Company, and for

more than eight years was employed by P. A. &

S. Small. In February, 1884, he began "the wood

and coal business, whi'ch he now continues. The

marriage of Mr. Bowman occurred April 30, 1854,

to Miss Margaret Myres, a native of Adams County,

I born June 9, 1836, daughter of Peter Myres. To

\ this marriage has been born one child— Sarah E.

1 Mr. Bowman is a Mason and Republican. Mr. and

Mrs. Bowman are members of St. Paul's Lutheran

I Church.

STEPHEN GILL BOYD, the subject of this
sketch, is tlie oldest child of .John C. and Martha
(Farmer) Boyd, and was born in Peach Bottom
Township, this county, on the 6th day of December,
1830. On his paternal side he is descended from an
old Scotch-Irish family that emigrated from the
County Antrim, Ireland, in the year 1736, and his
maternal grandparents emigrated from Shropshire,
England, in the early part of the present century,
and settled near Darlington, Hartford Co., Md.
During the minority of Mr. Boyd, his summers were
I devoted to working on his father's farm, and his
winters to attending the district school. Upon
I reaching his majority he repaired to York, and en-
tered, as a student, the grammar school of the late
Dr. Andrew Dinsmore, and spent his time, until he
was twenty-seven years of age. mainly in teaching,
obtaining academic instruction at various educa-
tional institutions, principally at White Hall Acad-
emy in Cumberland County, Penn., and at Bryans-
vill'e Academy in his native township, and in man-
! aging his farm, for several years farming in summer
and teaching a district school in winter. In his
' twenty-seventh year, Mr. Boyd, in order to obtain
: a more thorough education, removed with his family
i to Lancaster, Penn., and for a term became a stu-
dent at the Miller.sville State Normal School, then
under the management of Dr. Wickersham. From
this time until 1866, he devoted his time exclusively
to teaching and study, teaching in Lancaster County,
Lancaster City, and in Wrightsville, in this county.
In the spring of the year last referred to, at the re-
quest of Prof. S. B. Heiges, who was then county
superintendent of schools of this county, he came
to York and joined him in the management of a
normal school, organized for the benefit of the young
teachers of the county, with which school he was
1 connected as one of its principal teachers for four
years. In the fall of this year (1866) he was elected
to a seat in the house of representatives, and was
re- elected the ensuing year. In the spring of 1869,
he was elected county superintendent of schools to
succeed Mr. Heiges. and in 1871 he was elected to
the presidency of the Peach Bottom Railway Com-
pany, which latter position he filled for the term of
six years, and until the road was completed and put
into operation fromYork~to Delta. In the spring
of 1877 Mr. Boyd, in conjunction with some of the
more enterprising citizens of Hartford and Balti-
more Counties, undertook the organization of a
company to construct a railroad from Delta to Bal-
timore, and on the 31st day of January, 1884, this



10



TOBK BOEOUGH.



road was completed and opened to traffic. Mr.
Boyd's conduct as a representative was characterized
by "a deep interest in all legislation calculated to pro-
niote the educational interests of tlie State and the
material interests of his own county. During his
first terra he finally prepared and secured the pas-
sage of the bill to incorporate the York and Chance-
ford Turnpilie Company, in which company, after
its organization, he served as a director until his re-
moval to Baltimore, in 1878. During his second
term he prepared and secured the passage of the
bill to incorporate the Peach Bottom Railway Com-
pany, and during this term also he took an active
part in the passage of the bill giving to the non-
accepting school districts of the State, their for-




feited appropriations from the State treasury, for tlie
last ten years prior to its passage, and had the pleas-
ure of seeing Manheim Township, in this county,
accept the system during his first year as county
superintendent. In his second year in the ofBce of
county superintendent he co-operated with the
board of school control of the borough of York in
the reorganization of the schools of the borough,
favoring a comprehensive and thorough course of
study, and the borough superintendency. Mr. Boj^d,
since his withdrawal from the management of the
Maryland Central Railroad, in the autumn of 1884,
has been engaged in educational work, having
adopted the educational platform as a profession.
In addition to his labors on the platform, he fre-
quently appears in print as an essayist, and is the
author of a work on the signification of Indian



local or place names. Much of his life has been
given to the study of literary and scientific subjects,
and no small part of it to the promotion of the ma-
terial interests of his county.

H. C. BRENNEMAN, assistant principal of
the York High School, was born in Washington
Township. January 14. 1858, and is a son of Jacob
Brenneman, a prominent farmer of the upper end,
residing near the village of Wellsville. Mr. Brenne-
man received the rudiments of his education in the
public schools, and early in life showed an ardent
thirst for knowledge, which the excellent schools of
the vicinity encouraged. In them ;he zealously
studied, and succeeded so well that in the fall of
1875, he passed creditably at the town examination,
and was employed as a teacher for
that winter term. The followin.g
spring he attended Union Semi-
nary at 'Newi Berlin, Union Co.,
Penn. Returning home he very
successfully taught in the public
schools of his native township
for three more winter terms, and
in 1878 entered the State Normal
School at Millersville, where he
graduated with a class of thirty-
seven in the spring session of 1880.
After graduating he taught one
term in Adamstown, Lancaster
County, and returned to the nor-
mal school again, taking a more
extended course in the natural
sciences and mathematics. He
next taught a normal and select
school in Millersburg, Dauphin
^ County, and was afterward elected
principal of the schools of that
town, but before the fall term
opened, was elected in 1881 to the
position which he now holds.
Prof. Brenneman is a young man
of fine literary tastes, excellent
scholarship, and thoroughly devo-
ted to the responsibilites of his
profession.

DR. C. H. BRESSLER was
born in Clinton County, Penn.,
in February, 1821, and is a son of
George and Eliza (Darneck) Bress-
ler, the former a native of Lan-
caster County, and the latter of
Philadelpha, Penn. Dr. Bressler
was educated at the common
schools of Clinton County,and sub-
sequently attended: select schools
at Flemington and Mill Hall. He
began the study of dentistry, in
1839, at Lancaster, under Dr. Eli
Perry, and continued for three
years and a half, during! which
time he also studied medicine
under Dr. Perry, who was a graduate of the
Medical University of Philadelphia. During the
last year of his stay at Lancaster, Dr. Bressler
studied under Dr. Washington Atlee. In 1842 he
went to Philadelphia and attended a course of lec-
tures during the winter at the Pennsylvania Medi-
cal College; in the fall following he entered the
Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia, from
which institution he graduated in March, 1844. He
located at Bellefonte and practiced dentistry until
1849, when he went to Lancaster and formed a part-
nership with Dr. Perry in the practice of dentistry.
In the fall 'of 1849, he with Dr. Perry and others
petitioned the legislature for a dental college; this
was the first effort toward securing an institution
of this kind in the State, and the following fall a
charter was granted. Dr. Bressler returned to his



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



practice at Bellefoute.where lie remained until 1854,
when lie came to York and became the successor of
Dr. James Perry. He has been twice a candidate
for congress and has served as sheriff of York
County. In May, 1849, he married Sarah A.,
daughter of Rev. John Tanner of Belief onte.Penn.
Their union has t)een Islessed with eight children, as
follows: John T., George Bowman (deceased),
Emma B., Charles, Clara V., Wilber C. A. Curton,
and Ella M. The Doctor and family are members
of the Methodist Episcopal Church; he is a Mason,
a member of the Blue Lodge and Commandery of
York.

JOHN ^N. BUCKINGHAM, dealer in paper and
paper stock, is a native of Gettysburg, Penn., and
was born May 5, 1833; is a son of Ezekiel and Maria
(Test) Buckingham, is the third son by his father's
second marriage, and is of English descent. The
father of our sub.ject was born in Maryland about
1796. By occupation he was a coachmaker. His
death occurred in Gettysburg in 1849. The mother
of Mr. Buckingham was born in York about 1810.
At the early age of about eleven years, the subject
of this sketch was compelled to make his own way
in life. He first learned the tailoring trade, and
this he continued some years. His present business
was established in 1860. The marriage of Mr. Buck-
ingham occurred in 18.50, to Miss Rebecca Meginley,
daughter of Andrew and Catherine Meginley. To
this marriage have been born eight children, five of
whom are living, viz.: Maria C, William A., Henry
E.. R. Lizzie and Lewis E. W. . Mr. Buckingham is
a firm friend of education. His daughter, R. Lizzie,
and son, Henry E.,are graduates of the York High
School, and his youngest son, Lewis E. W., is now a
member of the junior class of the high school. Our
subject is a Republican. His brother, Capt. H. F.
T. Buckineham, was for four years a captain of a
cavalry company. His death occurred in Baltimore
in 1880. Mr. Buckingham is a Mason and a member
of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He and
wife arc members of the Methodist EpiscopalChurch.

DR. J. De BURKARTE, a distinguished physi-
cian and surgeon, was born in Philadelphia in 1831
and is the eldest son of Dr. S. and Mary De Burkarte.
His father was a physician of Paris, France, and his
mother a native of Berlin, Prussia. The subject of
this sketch, in early life, received a good education
in all of the ordinary branches, as well as a knowl-
edge of medicine, and graduated at Harvard College
in 1849, and has finally become a physician of ex-
tensive practice. During the years of 1850-51-52,
he attended two full regular courses of lectures at
the University of Philadelphia, and the College of
Physicians and Surgeons of New York, supple-
mented with three regular full courses of lectures at
the University of Maryland. He commenced the
practice of medicine at Philadelphia, in 1858, where
he remained in active practice until 1860, when he
removed to Harrisburg, where he continued his
practice until 1863, when he enlisted as a private in
the Union Army. In 1864 he had, through valor
and courage, risen in the ranks to first lieutenant. At
the battle in front of Petersburg he was severely
wounded, which confined him to the hospital.
Upon regaining strength he accepted an appoint-
ment as surgeon and was transferred to McClelland
Hospital at Philadelphia, where he served until the
latter part of August, 1865, when, on account of
wounds and disability, he received an honorable
discharge. After a few weeks' respite he returned
to Harrisburg and resumed his practice, continuing
until 1868, when he removed to York, where he has
since resided, engaged in active and continuous
practice. Dr. De Burkarte has established a large
and extensive practice in York County, and keeps
abreast with the progress of the age', not only in
his profession, but in general literature. As a citi-



zen he is popular, liberal and enterprising. In 1867
he was united in marriage with Miss Mary Gar-
verich, of Scotch ancestry. They have had born to
them two children: Maurice (who was a promising
young medical student and had passed his first
course of lectures at the Baltimore City College, and
died upon the day he was to enter upon his second
course at the University of Maryland, in the seven-
teenth year of his age) and Harrio.

NATHAN F. BURNHAM, York, was born in
the city of New York March 13, 1833, and is of
English-Irish and French descent. His father was
a millwright, and with him Nathan F. worked at
the trade in Orange County, N. Y., until he was six-
teen years old. He then commenced learning the
watch-maker's business, which he was obliged to re-
linquish after three years on account of his health.
He then went to Laurel, Md., in 1844, and engaged
with Patuxent & Co. as mercantile clerk and book-
keeper. In 1856 he commenced the manufacture of
French turbine water-wheels. In 1859 he sold out
his Laurel interests and came to York, commenced
manufacturing his own patents, and here has since
resided. May 33, 1883. he founded the Drovers' &
Mechanics' National Bank of York and was elected
its first president, which position he still holds. In
1881, with others, he built the York Opera House at
a cost of $40,000; it was opened in 1883. Mr. Burn-
ham was married July 3, 1850, to Ann Eliza Gray,
of Maryland; she died a few years later, leaving one
child, Horace H., born September 16, 1851, and
died January 28, 1857. Mr. Burnham's second
marriage took place June 8, 1854, with Mrs. Delilah
Israel, nee Jones; she bore him the following chil-
dren: Ann Elmirah, born January 31, 1856, died
March 6, 1861: Frank A., born August 18, 1858;
William H., born September 31, 1860. Mrs. Delilah
Buruham died May 1, 1881, aged forty-eight years,
six months and twenty-eight days. Mr. Burnham
has been constantly engaged in manufacturing and
selling turbine wheels since 1856, and is the inventor
and patentee of several, which are used in nearly
every country in the world; among them may be
mentioned the following: Improved Jonval Tur-
bine, patented February 22, 1859; New Turbine
Water Wheel, patented March 3, 1868; Improved
New Turbine Wheel, patented March 9, ,1871;
Standard Turbine Wheel, patented March 31, 1874;
Improved Standard Turbine, patented March 37,
1883. Burnham Bros., Mr. Burnham's sons, took
charge of the Standard Turbine Wheel business
October 1, 1881, and since then Mr. Burnham has
devoted his time to the improvement of the stand-
ard turbine wheel, which, after many experiments,
he has made to rdn on either a vertical or horizon-
tal shaft, and to discharge a larger amount of water
and get a better percentage of power from the water
used. This Improved Turbine, discharging one-half
more water, with full gate drawn, yields as great a
percentage for the water used as the Standard; and
when one-half the water is used, which each is capa-
ble of discharging at full gate, the gain is sixteen
per cent over the Standard. During the past year
he has had four experimental wheels tested at
HolyoUe, much to his satisfaction, both in manner
of testing and percentage obtained. This Improved
Standard Turbine is guaranteed equal to any\ other
make of turbine in the economical use of water at
either full or part drawn gate. Mr. Burnham is a



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 159 of 218)