John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 160 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 160 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Knight Templar,and is Past Master of the I. O. O. F.
and Past Sachem of Red Men.

LEWIS CARL, deceased, was born in York
County in 1836, to Martin and Mary Carl. He
attended the public schools of York. At eighteen
years of age he began the mercantile business in
York, and for many years he was one of the promi-
nent merchants of the county, and continued in
business until a short time before his death, having


accumulated quite a fortune. He was married Sep-
tember 20, 1866, to Susan Hay, a native of York and
a daughter of John and Susan Hay; no children
were born unto tbem. For many years he was a
member of the Lutheran Church. He was exten-
sively known and a much respected citizen. His
death occurred October 24, 1878.

• JERE CARL, banker, was born in York County,
Penn., in 1829, and is a son of Martin and Mary I
(DeardorfE) Carl, and is of Swiss-German extraction. [
The Carl family has for many years been identified
with the interests of this county. The father of our
subject died in 1855, and the mother ten years pre- {
vioiis. Jere Carl received a common school education
and afterward learned the printer's trade. He then
engaged in the mercantile business, which he con-
tinued until 1853, when he was appointed book-keep-
er of the old York Bank, which position he held for
fourteen years. He then engaged in the banking
business, becoming a member of the firm of Weiser,
Son & Carl, and in this business relation still con-
tinues. He was married in 1861 to Adaline A. Weiser,
daughter of Charles and Anna M. Weiser, of York,
Penn. Three children were born to this marriage:
Charles W., born in 1864, died in 1882; and Ballc.
Mr. Carl has always been a supporter of the Dem-
ocratic party. In 1875 he was elected chief burgess
of York, and was re-elected in 1876 and 1878. Mr.
and Mrs. Carl are members of St. Paul's Lutheran

HENRY CASLOW, son of John Peter and Barbara
(Flinchbaugh) Caslow, of York Township, was born
May 14, 1810, in York Township, and is of English
and German descent. He is the fourth child in a
family of eight children, viz.: John, deceased; Lid-
die, deceased; Infant, deceased; Henry, Peter; Dan-
iel, deceased; Leah,deceased; and Amos. Oursubject
was reared on a farm, and the death of his father,
when our subject was a small boy, made it necessary
for him to assist his mother in rearing the family.
He beg'an to learn the trade of shoemaker when
fourteen years old, and continued at that trade for
twenty-four years. His health required a change of
occupation, and he bought the mill property on the
Peach Bottom Railroad, near Ore Valley. He ran
this mill about eight years, and then removed to York,
where in 1850, he bought the Seven Stars Hotel on
South George Street. After a stay of twenty years,
he removed to his present location, corner of Queen
and College Avenue, where he has since conducted
a retail grocery store. In March, 1832, he married
Helena Houseman of Windsor Township. Our sub-
ject's father-in-law. Christian Houseman, was a
soldier in the Revolutionary war. Elenora, wife of
Jacob Sechrist. is the only child of our subject. He
is a member of the Lutheran Church.

EDMUND T. CHAMBERS, ticket-agent for the
Pennsylvania and North Central Railways, is a
native of France, born in 1846, son of John and
Mary (Kennedy) Chambers. His parents were born
in Ireland and immigrated to America in 1849, and ,
settled in Baltimore, Md., where the father died in
1881. Our subject received a common school edu-
cation at the public schools of Baltimore. In 1869
he came to York, Penn., and for some time was a
clerk in the store of Thomas Chambers & Co., after
which he accepted his present position. Mr. Cham- }
bers was married in 1871 to Amelia Bender, daugh-
ter of Henry Bender, ex-treasurer of York County.
To this marriage have been born five children: John
H.. William E,, Daisy E., James H. and George R.
Mr. Chambers is a Democrat. He and his wife are
members of the Roman Catholic Church.

ANDREW F. CLINCH, foreman of the boiler
department at A. B. Farquhar's, is a native of Jer-
sey City, N. J., was born in 1856, and is a son of
Michael and Margaret (Ingersol) Clinch, and is of ,
Irish extraction. His father was born in Ireland in

1811, came to America in 1847, and settled in Jersey
City, and there remained eleven years, and then
removed to Wilmington, Del., where the early por-
tion of the life of our subject was spent. After
receiving a common school education he learned the
steam-fitter and boiler-maker trades. For nine
years he was in the employ of Pusey Jones & Co.,
of Wilmington, Del. In 1879 he came to York,
and has since been employed at his present occupa-
tion, and is one of the leading mechanics of York.
Jn his department he has charge of fifty men. The
marriage of Mr. Clinch was solemnized in 1878 to
Miss Cora Litsinger, of Westminster, Md. To ihis
union have been born three children, viz.: Flor-
ence May, George and Alice. He is a Democrat in

HENRY M. CRIDER, publisher and bookseller,
York, Penn., is the son of Jacob and Catherine
(Mower) Crider. He was born near Chambersburg,
Franklin Co., Penn., October 14, 1839. His father re-
moved to near Newburg. in 1842, where the subject of
this notice received an injury, while at school, which
threatened to make him a cripple for life. In the
years of suffering which followed, when he was
debarred from the sports incident to childhood, he
developed a fondness for books and an aptness for
learning which determined his father to give him, if
possible, a liberal education. A second removal of
the family was made, in 1853, to Green Spring,
Cumberland Co., Penn., where such opportunities
for improvement as the district school afforded
were eagerly embraced. At the age of sixteen, he
began leaching in the rural districts of his county,
attending, during the summer months, various in-
stitutions of learning, with a view of advancing his
own education. In 1858 he became a student of
Otterbein University, where his poems and essays
in the literary and rhetorical societies attracted con-
siderable interest and comment. In 1861 he was
licensed to preach, when he returned to his native
Stale, and for a short time was engaged in the min-
istry. December 24, 1861, he was married to Miss
Sadie Elizabeth Kaufman, of Boiling Springs, Cum-
berland Co., Penn., and having resumed his former
profession, he was for some years engaged in teach-
ing in various towns and cities. In 1866 he was
selected as a member of the faculty of Cottage Hill
College, near York, Penn., and, in connection with
his duties there, established a night school and com-
mercial college for young men, which was liberally
patronized by the best eitizens of York. About
this time, he wrote a book of poems, entitled "Peda-
gogic," in which he embalmed in verse the various
specimens of the district school teacher of "Ye
olden time." Its unique character called forth
many favorable press notices. It was extensively
read before teacher's institutes, and passed through
several editions. In J866 he originated and pub-
lished the photograph marriage certificate, which
was subsequently modified into many varieties, and
by • a liberal and judicious system of advertising
succeeded in introducing his certificates throughout
the United States and Canada; and at this writing,
1885, nearly 2,000,000 copies have been sold. In
August, 1867, he established a paper, which he
edited for two years, the circulation of which, at
one time, exceeded 5,000 copies. His first wife was
removed by death in 1874. In 1875 he was married
a second time, to Miss Amanda C. Fahs, a lady long
and favorably known in York as a teacher in the
public schools and the York County Academy. He
is the father of one son and three daughters". The
son, W. H. Crider. has reached his majority, and is
now engaged in teaching in the State Normal
School, at Morris, 111.

DAVID W. CRIDER. who is familiarly known
as a publisher and bookseller of York, is a son of
Jacob and Catherine (Mouer) Crider. His father



was a native of Lebanon County and his mother of
Cumberland County, both of German ancestry.
The son grew to manhood on his father's farm, in
Franklin County, where he was born in 1842. He
received the rudiments of his education in the pub-
lic schools, subsequently attending the Cumberland
County Normal School. While there he enlisted
in Company E, One Hundred and Thirtieth Penn-
sylvania Volunteer Infantry, as a private, and
served nine months. His regiment was in the Army
of the Potomac, and participated in the battle of
Antietam, where 196 of his regiment were killed.
In this engagement he was wounded in two places,
the neck and leg, and was at first officially reported
dead. After his' term of enlistment e.xpired, and the
country demanded more soldiers, he responded by
re-enlisting, and joined the Two Hundred and Sev-
enth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, in which he
remained until the close of the war. " He was pres-
ent at a series of battles in front of Petersburg, the
battle of Chancellorsville and many minor engage-
ments and skirmishes. He had the honor of being
present at the surrender of Gen. Lee, and was at
the grand review of the Union troops at Washing-
ton.'D. C. In the last enlistment he was quarter-
master-.sergeant of his regiment, which was mus-
tered out of service at Alexandria. Va. After
returning to his home he entered Lebanon Valley
College, and subsequently taught school one year
in Maryland. In 1865 Mr. Crider became a member
of the firm of Kephart, Crider & Bro. , the members
being S. L. Kephart, H. M. Crider and D. W.
Crider. Mr. Kephart soon after retired from the
firm, and the name became Crider & Bro. In
1876 D. W. Crider became sole proprietor, with the
firm name unchanged, retaining all copyrights.
The first named firms were engaged in the publish-
ing business, and had taken out copyrights on three
beautiful marriage certificates. The firm of Crider
& Bro. have had issued to them thirty-three copy-
rights upon these certificates. Upon embarking in
business alone, Mr. Crider added the general book

and Vine" have reached an immense circulation.
"The Orange Blossom," copyrighted in 1883, has
reached the largest sale, and his certificates of other
issues, many of which are of beautiful design, have
also readied a large sale. In 1879 Mr. Crider ob-
tained a copyright on "The Song Treasury," an
excellent Sunday-school, prayer and praise-meeting
book. This book has attained a circulation of
63,000 copies. " Bright Gems" was copyrighted by
him in 1881, and " Silvery Echoes" in 1880; the
latter, for infant Sunday-schools, has reached a
large sale. "Songs of Love and Praise," an excel-
lent work for Sabbath-schools and the home circle,
is also handled by him in large quantities direct
from the publishers. Mr. Crider has one of the
leading bookstores in southern Pennsylvania, and
carries a valuable stock of books, stationery, fine
Russia leather goods, and a large, attractive and
well displayed line of fancy goods, which are sold
at wholesale or retail. In public affairs Mr. Crider
is public-spirited, and as an active business man he
is well and favorably known. He takes a promi-
nent interest in Sunday-schools, and is the president
of the York County Sunday-school Union. In De-
cember, 1870, he was united in marriage with Miss
Sarah Spangler, only daughter of Nathaniel Spang-
ler, a prominent farmer and lineal descendant of
the earliest settlers of York County. They have
six children: Horace W., Charles E.. Flora I.,
David N., Sadie C. and Lillie M. Mr. Crider is a
member of the United Brethren Church, and his

wife of the Reformed Church, of Y^ork. He was
one of the originators of the Emigsville Camp
Meeting Association, a liberal contributor to its
support, and is now vice-president of its board of
managers. He is also a trustee of Lebanon Valley

CAPT. MURRY S. CROSS was born in Wind-
sor Township, York Co., Penn., March 12, 183.5; is
a son of Samuel Cross, and is of Scotch-Irish extrac-
tion. The Crosi family has been connected with
the history of York County for nearly a century.
Capt. Cross was reared on a farm in his native
township, receiving a common school education in
the meantime. When about twenty years of age he
went to Baltimore and learned the carpenter's trade.
Returning to York County, he followed his trade
until Fort Sumpter was fired upon, when he enlisted
for three months in the Sixteenth Pennsylvania
Volunteer Infantry. After an honorable discharge,
he was one of the principal men in raising Company
C, in York County. He was elected first lieutenant,
and December 25, 1862, was commissioned captain.
He participated in many engagements, some of the
more prominent of which were as follows: Win-
chester, Wilderness, Cold Harbor, Spottsylvania,
Weldon Railroad, Oquaquen, now Winchester, and
Fisher's Hill. Capt. Cross was discharged October
13, 1864. In 1868 he became the proprietor of what
is now the Central Hotel. Here he continued five
years. He began his present business in 1882. The
marriage of our subject took place October 4, 1850.
to Miss Cecelia Hartman, a native of York and
daughter of Henry Hartman. Two children have
been born to this union, viz.: Edward M. S. (who
"led in 1883 of injuries received while in the em-

Capt. Cross is a Republican and a member of

ploy of the Northern Central Railwav) and Harrison
H. Capt. Crosi • - •'■
the I. O. O. F.

GEORGE DARON, justice of the peace, and
ex-treasurer of York County, was born in Manches-
ter Township, January 12, 1830, to George and Ly-
dia (Kern) Daron. In a family of fourteen children
Mr. Daron is the fourth and is of French-German
stock. His father was born in Hellam Township in
1799. and died in 1857. His mother was a native of
Manchester Township, born in 1804, and died in

1873. The paternal grandfather of our subject was
born in Hellam Township in 1771, and his great-
grandfather was born in Prance and came to Amer-
ica at fifteen years of age. Mr. Daron remained in
his native township until 1850 when he went to Do-
ver, and four years of his time was employed in
teaching school and at work on the farm. In 18.54
he began the hotel business and continued that un-
til 1859, when he came to York, and here has since
resided. Politically Mr. Daron is a Democrat and
lor many years has taken an active part in politics.
In 1865 he was elected treasurer of York County and
served one term. Afterward he was a clerk of the
commissioners one year, and from 1877 to 1882 he
held the office of deputy prothonotary. In 1882 he
was elected justice of the peace. He was married
November 22, 1855, to Miss Mary A. Leathery, a
native of York County. Mrs. Daron died March 30,

1874, and November 20, 1876, Mr. Daron was mar-
ried to Miss Malvina Crisman, a native of Blairs-
town, N. J. Mr. Daron is a member of the
I. O. O. F.

OLIVER DEARDORFF, proprietor of the States
Union Hotel, was born in Washington Township,
Y''ork County, February 22, 1840, to David and Re-
becca (Geise) Deardorfl . He is the eldest in a family
of seven children, and is of German origin. The
father of Mr. Deardorff was born in Washington
Township in 1808, and his mother in Paradise
Township. The parents of Mr. Deardorff died in
1880. Mr. Deardorff was educated in the public
schools of his native township. In 1871 he came to



York, and for four years clerked for William
Kroutz in the States Union Hotel, and in 1875 be-
came the proprietor, and in this occupation he has
since continued. He is one of the successful hotel
men in York. Mr. DeardorfE was united in mar-
riage December 25, 1874, to Miss Sarah Fake, a na-
tive of York County. To this marriage have been
born three children, viz. ; Eli, David and Oliver.
Politically our subject is a Democrat, and a member
of the German Reformed Church. Mrs. DeardorfE
is a member of the Lutheran Church. Mr. Dear-
dorfE is a thorough business man and of an enter-
prising spirit.

D. "G. DEA.RDORFP, liveryman, was born in
Washington Township, June 11, 1851, to David and
Margaret (Giese) DeardorfE, and is of German de-
scent. Tlie early years of Mr. DeardorfE 's life were
spent on the farm and attending the public schools
of Washington Township, at which he acquired a
common school education. At seventeen years of
age he began teaching school, but after having
taught five terms he abandoned the profession. In
1881 he began the tanning business in his native
township, which he continued until 1883, wlien he
removed to York and engaged in his present occu-
pation. His stable is located on Mason Alley, near
the court-house. The marriage of Mr. DeardorfE to
Miss Sarah E. Grove was solemnized in 1871. Mrs.
DeardorfE is a native of York County. They have
children as follows: Harvey, Kurvin, Arthur and
George. Politically Mr. DeardorfE is a Republican.
In 1876 he was elected justice of the peace, and re-
elected in 1881, and held the office until his removal
to York.

L. T. DEININGER, president of the Vigilant
Steam Fire Engine Company, No. 1, York, son of
the late Rev. C. J. and Maria (Treat) Deininger.
He was born at East Berlin, Adams County, August
24, 1847, and (with the exception of about six years
of his boyhood, when he lived in the place of his
birth and in Indiana County, Penn.) has always
been a resident of York. His father and grand-
father, both deceased, were well-known Lutheran
clergymen, having been residents of York and
Adams Counties, Penn., for more than fifty years.
Mr. Deininger was educated at the public schools
of York, the York County Academy, and the Penn-
sylvania College at Gettysburg. In 1867 he engaged
in the book and stationery business, which he still
continues. He was married, October 20, 1870, to
Laura C. Small, daughter of William Small, an old
and much respected citizen of the Fourth Ward,
York, lately deceased. To this marriage have been
born two children; Ella T. and Horace S. In 1879
Mr. Deininger became president of the "Vigilant
Steam Fire Engine Company." He was made a
Mason in 1872, and is a member of St. Paul's Luth-
eran Church.

SAMUEL DICK, merchant, son of Henry and
Ellen (Plat) Dick, was born January 27, 18.58, in
York, Penn., and has always resided in York. He
received his education at the public schools of York,
and went to his trade, ornamental painter, when
quite a young man. For ten years he had the respon-
sible position of foreman in the painting department
of A. B. Farquhar's Agricultural Works, which posi-
tion he relinquished on account of his health, by
advice of his physician. He then turned his atten-
tion to the mercantile business, in which he is now
engaged on North Duke Street extended. July 3.
1880, Mr. Dick married Mary Butcher, daughter of
William and Elenora (Gemmell) Butcher, of Hope-
well Township. Two children have blessed this
union: William and Mollie. Samuel Dick, the
grandfather of our subject, was the leading carriage
builder in York in his time.

HON. DANIEL DURKEE. Judge Durkee was
of English descent, the family coming to America

early in the eighteenth century, and settling in
Windham, Conn. Here; his great-grandfather, Na-
thaniel Durkee, was married, August 21, 1727, and
from there his son Timothy (Judge Durkee's grand-
father) removed to Vermont while that State was
yet a wilderness. His maternal grandfather, Elisha
Rix, also went from Connecticut to Vermont about
the same time, both families settling in the valley of
White River. In their journey of about 200 miles,
they were guided by marked trees. They settled on
adjoining farms, granted by the government of New
York, then claiming jurisdiction over the territory.
The families were united by the marriage of He-
man, the eldest son of Timothy Durkee, to Susan,
daughter of Elisha Rix. Heman succeeded to the
Durkee farm, and both farms have remained in pos-
session of members of the family until recently.
Situated in the township of Roya'lton, they adjoin
South Royalton.. a thriving village and railroad cen-
ter. Here Daniel Durkee, the subject of this
sketch, was born on August 27, 1791. His father's
death occurring when he was but a boy, the years
of his early manhood were spent in the home and
on the farm of his mother. He married, April 8,
1813, Mary, daughter of Capt. John Wright, of Nor-
wich, Vt. A few years after his marriage he com
menced the study of law with Jacob Collamer, of
Royalton (afterward United States Senator from
Vermont and postmaster-general), and Judge Hutch-
inson, of Woodstock, Vt. He was admitted to the
bar in Chelsea, Orange Co.. Vt., June 13, 1818, and
opened an office in Williamstown in the same
county. Desirous of settling in Pennsylvania, he
left Williamstown the following December, and
came to Lebanon, Penn., taking an office just va-
catedTiy his brother-in-law, Jolii'i AVright, Esq., who
had removed to York. Some months later, illness
in his family compelling Mr. Wright to return to
New. England, Judge Durkee came to York, where
he continued to reside until his death. At that
time. Lebanon was thoroughly German ; so univer-
sally was that language spoken there, that there
was but one family in the town with whom the
Durkee family could communicate in the English
tongue; while in York there was a large English
element, though the German was almost universally
spoken in the surrounding country. Without any
knowledge of that language, he soon became a pop-
ular lawyer with the German population, and a suc-
cessful practitioner. Pennsylvania thenceforth be-
came the State of his adoption, but he was ever
loyal to New England and to his native home, which
continued to be the home of his mother until her
death in 1852. It was his "Mecca." He never
failed to go there annually (in the thirty-six years
of his life in Pennsylvania), taking his family or
several members of it with him in each alternate
year. The New England festival "Thanksgiving"
was always observed in his home, the appo'intment
of the governor of Vermont being regarded, until in
later years it became a national appointment.
Judge Durkee was admitted to the bar in York
County in 1820. In 1832 he was elected to the leg-
^ islature. In 1833 he was appointed by Gov. Wolf
judge of the district court. In 1835, the district
court having been abolished, he was appointed pres-
ident judge of the Nineteenth Judicial District,
composed of the counties of York and Adaius. He
held the office for ten years, when, at the expiration
of his term, he was succeeded by Judge Irwin. On
the resignation of the latter in 1849, Judge Durkee

the judgeship, having been by a constitutional
amendment, made elective. .ludge Fisher was chosen
to succeed him. He then resumed the practice of
his profession, which he continued to the time of
his death. He died November 23, 1854, aged sixty-


three years and three months. Thus, for nearly
half the entire period of his residence in Pennsyl-
vania, Judge Durliee held the office of president
judge. On the bench Judge Durkee was careful
and painstaking, and showed great discrimination
in separating, from the mass of less important mat-
ters, the real points involved in the cases brought
before him. In his charges he was remarkably
happy, and successful in presenting cases to juries,
and In enabling them to perform their duties intel-
ligently, and in preventing them from falling into
errors. Of eminent sagacity, clear perceptions and
sound conclusions, he enjoyed during his official
career the confidence and respect of the bar, and in
a great degree that of the appellate court, vfhich
reviewed his judgments. As an evidence of the
esteem in which he has been held, there is subjoined
an extract from the York Gazette of September 34,
1839, which, as published by a political opponent of
Judge Durkee, is all the more valuable a tribute to
his worth: "We find in the Adams Sentinel of a
late date, a communication in which the Hon.
Daniel Durkee, president judge of this judicial dis-
trict, is spoken of in terms of high commendation.
We feel proud of this justly merited tribute to the
worth of one of our citizens; and here in York,
where Judge Durkee is • at home,' we feel sure that
every word will be attested by every one who reads
it. We hope that this district will not lose the serv-
ices of so upright and excellent a judical officer un-
der the operation of that provision of the new con-

Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 160 of 218)