John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 164 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 164 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and formerly manufacturer of agricultural imple-
ments, is a descendent of Johann Adam Hoffheins,
who with his brother, Johann Daniel, emigrated
from the Upper Rhine country to America, arriving
at Philadelphia, on the ship Pallas, November 25,
1763. The latter settled in Lancaster County, where
he married a sister of the Rev. Wagner, of the Ger-
man Reformed Church. The former began farming
near Reading; about 1780 he removed to Dover
Township. York County, losing in the interval all
his means through the depreciation of Continental
money. His son, Sebastian, who was born in Berks
County, in 1767, was married to Barbara, daughter
of Joseph and Mary Gochenour. She was born in
1764 and died in 1844. Sebastian was a farmer,
shoemaker, and school-teacher, and a resident of
Dover Township until his death in 1852. Their son,
Jonas, the father of our subject, was a farmer and
resided in Dover Township all his life. He died in
Dover Borough in 1857. 'The mother of our subject
was Susan, daughter of Peter and Catherine Weigel
of West Manchester Township. She is still living,
and a resident of York. Two brothers of Barbara I
Gochenour and two uncles of Catherine (Upp) 1
Weigel were soldiers in the Revolution. Two '



children are descendents of Jonas and Susan Hoff-
heins, Samuel, a resident of Adams County, Penn.,
and Reuben, the subject of this biography. He
was reared upon the farm iu Dover Township, and
until seventeen years of age was an assistant of his
father. He then learned the carpenter trade, which
he followed several years, embarking at the expira-
tion of that time in business for himself by starting a
shop at Dover, for the repair of agricultural im
plements. Possessing natural mechanical aptitude
he soon extended his' field of operations and began
the manufacture of various farming implements
with valuable patented improvements, invented by
himself, among which may be named the self-rak-
ing reaper; horse hay rake and cultivator and plant-
er, together with other articles of minor import-
ance. In 1865 he removed to York, and under the
firm name of Hoffheins, Shireman & Co., begau the
manufacture of reapers, mowers and agricultural
implements upon a scale which the enlarged facili-
ties of York afforded, employing at that period
about sixty hands. In 1869 Mr. Hoffbeins disposed
of his mterest in the manufacturing business and
has since devoted his time to farming and the sale
of agricultural implements. His headquarters are
in York, where he carries a full line of all the im-
plements necessary to agriculture. He has branch
houses at East Berlin and Table Rock, Adams
County, and one at Dover, all of them being under
his general supervision. Mr. Hoffheins has done
much to improve the machinery in this field and has
several valuable patents. He has always been
deeply interested in farming, and is at present vice-
president of the York County Agricultural Society.
Mr. Hoffheins was united in marriage in 1857, with
Miss Lydia Lenhart, daughter of William Lenhart,
of Dover Township, and a descendant of an old
York County family. Two children are living:
William L. and Franklin G.; both assisting their
father in his business enterprises.

AMOS HOFFMAN is a dealer in clothing, gents
furnishing goods, hats, caps, etc., and in connection
has a complete merchant tailoring department. Mr.
Hoffman is a native of Rohrerstown, Lancaster Co.,
Penn., was born in 1842, is a son of Frederick and
Elizabeth (Huffnagle) Hoffman and is of German
descent. His father was born in Lancaster County,
Penn., in 1803. and his mother in 1804. His grand-
father was Philip Hoffman. The great-grandfather
of our subject came to America from Germany and
settled in Pennsylvania. Mr. Hoffman's father
died in 1880 and his mother in 1882. Our subject
received a common school education. Later in
life he learned the printer's trade, serving a regular
apprenticeship. After continuing at this trade for
several years he engaged in the merchandise busi-
ness, in 1878 he came to York and has since been
engaged in the clothing business which he success-
fully continues. In 1884 he removed to his present
salesroom in York; the main department being
25x150 feet. The marriage of Mr. Hoffman occurred
in 1871, to Miss Clara Malthaner, a native of
Bethleliem, Penn. Mrs. Hoffman died in 1874, and
in 1879 he was married to Miss Bessie Hess, of
Lancaster, Penn., daughter of Thomas and Eliza-
beth Hess of Lebanon County, Penn. They have
one child, Charles W. In 1868 Mr. Hoffman enlisted
in Company K. Forty ninth Pennsylvania Volun-
teers. He is a Republican, a member of K. of P.,
Red Men Lodge, G. A. R. and I. O. 0. F. Mr.
and Mrs. Hoffman are members of the Reformed
Church.

THOMA.S HOLLAND, agent for the New York
Powder Company, was born in York County, in
in 1835, to Thomas and Elizabeth (Cremer) Holland
and is of English extraction. By occupation, the
father of Mr. Holland was a cooper; his death oc
curred in York about 1840. The boyhood of our sub"



YORK BOROUGH.



ject was spent among strangers, and when very
young he was thrown upon his own resources. At
thirteen years of age he was bound out for si.^ years
to learn the tailor's trade, and afterward taught
school for some time. He then learned the cigar
trade, and in 1849 he began the cigar and tobacco
business, which he continued until 1868, when he
engaged in the hardware business in partnership
with the firm of Thomas, Chambers & Co., which
he continued until 1876, when he sold his interest
to John F. Thomas, but continued as a salesman
in the store until 1883, and since that time has been
engaged in his present occupation. Mr. Holland
was married in 1847 to Miss Rebecca Thomas.
Three children were born to this union, Emma E.
only survives. Mrs. Holland died in 1860, and
seven years later Mr, Holland was married to
Evaline Hummer, a native of Dover, York County,
daughter of Michael Hummer. They had two
chilclren; Thomas H. only survives. Mr. Holland
was formerly a Whig, but is now a Democrat, al-
though in local matters he supports those who in
his Judgement are the best men. He is a member of
the Methodist Episcopal Ciiurch and Mrs. Holland
is a member of the Evangelical Association.

WILLIAM HOSE, a representative of the man-
ufacturing interests of York, is a native of the
county and was born August 20, 1828. At the age
of eighteen years he commenced an apprenticeship
with the firm of Horn & Mitchell, carpenters and
builders, with whom he remained for three years.
Having become thoroughly proficient in his trade,
be engaged at car building for two years, at the ex-
piration of which time he accepted a position as
foreman with ihe Billmeyer & Small Car Company,
remaining with that company for over thirty years.
Mr. Hose then purchased the sash and door manu-
factory, operated by Eden & Blouser, and has re-
arranged it, purchasing new machinery, etc. He
has established a large trade, having added planing
machinery, and now has facilities for turning out
all kinds of building material. He is a public spir-
ited citizen, a member of the I. O. O. F., the I. O.
R. M., and of the I. O. of Heptasoph.

JOHN H. HOSHOUR, book-keeper at A.B.Par-
quhar's, was born in Glen Rock, York County, is a
son of J. V. and Maggie (KoUer) Hoshour, and is
one of four living children. His father is also a na-
tive of York County, and was born August 21, 1814;
his mother was bora in Shrewsberry Township, in
October, 1817. His paternal grandfather was born
in Heidelberg Township. His great grandfather
came from Germany and settled in York County.
The father of Mr. Hoshour, at the age of twenty
years, began teaching school, and four years later
went into the store of Small, Myers & Latimer, at
Shrewsberry, where he remained two years, and
then began railroading and civil engineering. In
1836 he came to Glen Rock. He has lieen an active
and successful business man, and it was not until
February, 1885, that he retired from aclive life. At
seventeen our subject entered Pennsylvania College
at Gettysburg, Penn., and continued three years;
when, on account of ill health, he was compelled to
abandon his studies. In 1870 he entered the employ
of Fry, Herbst & Co., at Glen Rock, as book-keeper.
For some years, Mr. Hoshour was engaged in the
manufacturing business, at Glen Rock; selling his
interest in 1879, he came to York, and has since
been in the employ of A. B. Farquhar. The mar-
riage of Mr. Hoshour occurred March 14, 1872, to
Miss Alice Cramer, daughter of E. L. and Polly
Cramer, of Baltimore, Md. Mrs. Hoshour was born
November 2, 1854, in Codorus Township, York
Co., Penn. To this union were born two chil-
dren, viz.; Howard P., born November 4, 1872, and
Elvin H., born April 5, 1874. Mrs. Hoshour died
June 15, 1877. In April, the year following, Mr.



Hoshour married Miss Lida J. Armacost, of Balti-
more County, Md., born July 4, 1860. To this mar-
riage two children have been born: Carroll M.,
December 16, 1878, and J. Murray, January 30, 1881
(died October 26, 1881). He is a Republican and a
member of the Lutheran Church.

GEORGE W. ILGENFRITZ. for many years a
prominent manufacturer and business man of this
section of Pennsylvania, was born in York, in 1821,
to Daniel and Elizabeth (Deitch) Ilgenfritz, and is
one of eight children. The great-grandfather of
our subject was a native of Germany, who came to
America in 1741, and settled in Conewago Town-
ship, York Co., Penn. Subject's father was born
in this county in 1790 and died in 1833. His mother
was born in the same county in 1791, died in 1884.
At twelve years of age our subject was thrown
solely upon his own resources, and from that time
he was forced to make his own way in life. First
he learned the blacksmith's trade, then coach-mak-
ing under Joseph Small, at which he continued to
work tor several years. In 1845 he began the man-
ufacture of agricultural implements, which he con-
tinued some time, and then began the construction
of railway cars, and in this line of manufacture he
was extensively engaged. In 1864 he sold his estab-
lishment, but in 1866 he again engaged in business
and continued some years. Mr. Ilgenfritz was mar-
ried, in 1844, to Miss Isabella Emmett, a native of
York County. Of eight children born three yet
survive: Anna, David E. and Delia. Mr. Ilgen-
fritz is a Mason and a member of the Lutheran
Church, of which his wife is also a member.

JOHN E. ILGENFRITZ, son of Martin and
Mary Ann (Plowman) Ilgenfritz, of York, Penn.,
was born December 16, 1833, in Shrewsberry Town-
ship. When our subject was a youth school advan-
tages were limited, but he received a little instruc-
tion in the schools of his village, and also attended
one short terra in Dunkard Valley, Spring-field
Township. He then served a three years' appren-
ticeship at mill-wrightin;;, and as a journeyman
worked at his trade "ten years. He kept a restau-
rant eight years m Glen Rock, and then, in 1864,
enlisted in the One Hundred and First Regiment
Pennsylvania Volunteers, served until the close of
the war and was honorably discharged at Harris-
burg. After the war he began the butchering bus-
iness at York, Penn. December 3, 1854, he married
Rebecca Klinedinst, daughter of David and Cath-
erine Klinedinst, of North Codorus Township.
The children born to this marriage are the follow-
ing, living: Margaret, Leonard, Zarvilla, David,
Martin Edward, Ellsworth. Deceased: Martha J.,
Robert C, Charles L., John Wesley, Milliard Kemp
and Minnie May. Mr. Ilgenfritz has, in connection
with his butchering, a well-stocked grocery store,
and has always received a good share of patronage
in his line of business.

WILLIAM H. KAIN was born January 4, 1848,
in West Manchester Township. At the age of sixteen
he began teaching school, and at nineteen entered
Pennsylvania College at Gettysburg, and graduated
four years later. At the age of twenty-three he was
appointed countj^ superintendent to fill the unexpired
term of Stephen G. Boyd. This occurred in 1871.
He was elected in 1873, and re-elected in 1875, serv-
ing in all about seven years. In the year 1876 he
prepared for the State Department a history of the
progress of education in York County. Mr. Kain
had a keen zest for learning, and was untiring in
the pursuit of knowledge. 'Though firm in his dis-
position, he was free from dogmatism and pedantry.
Having a predilection for the practice of law, he
was admitted to the bar in 1878, had acquired a lu-
crative practice, and obtained prominence in his
profession, when his career was cut short by pre-
mature death on February 3, 1883. He was a man



BIOGKAPHICAL SKETCHES.



37



of indefatigable energy in whatever he undertook.

DR. J. B. KAIN, a son of John and Susan (May)
Kain, was born in April, 1850. He attended the com-
mon schools, and assisted his father on the farm until
the age of seventeen, when he taught school three
winters and attended the normal school and York
Academy in the summers. He then began the pre-
paratory study of the medical profession under the
Instruction of Dr. C. M. Nes, of York, with whom
he remained three years, then attended lectures at
the Jefierson Medical College at Philadelphia, from
which institution he graduated March 13, 1871. He
returned to York and began practice in partnership
with Dr. A. R. Prowel, of Manchester Borough,
which partnership continued about two years, when
it was severed by the death of Dr. Prowel. Dr.
Kain continued to practice in Manchester until
March, 1884; he then came to York, where he is now
practicing. In April, 1869, he married Mary L.,
daughter of Daniel and Mary (Upp) KaufEman, of
York. Their union was blessed with five children
named as follows: Carrie V., C. Harry, Mamie M.
(deceased), Sallie A. and John R. Dr. Kain is a
member of the Lutheran Church, and a brother of
Prof. W. H. Kain (deceased), who was county super-
intendent of the schools of York County.

EMANUEL KAUFFMAN, third of eleven chil-
dren of Joseph and Susan (Sprenkle) Kauflman,
was born October 26, 1831, in Spring Garden Town-
ship, and was reared on his father's farm. May
15, i860, he married Mary M. Diehl, daughter of
Daniel and Louisa (Loucks) Diehl, of Spring Garden
Township. Their children are William H', Emma
J., Martha A. and Daniel W. Mr. Kauilman is ex-
tensively engaged in the manufacture of brooms.
His factory is at 536 West Philadelphia Street. He
started in this business in 1880, and it has steadily in-
creased. He sells to the trade in York and Lancas-
ter Counties, and has the reputation of manufactur-
ing the best brooms in the market.

JAMES W. KERR, M. D., is a native of Lan-
caster County, Penn.. born September 19, 1813, the
second of seven children to Rev. William and
Mary (Wilson) Kerr, and is of Scotch-Irish extrac-
tion. The father of Dr. Kerr was also born in
Lancaster County in 1776, and his mother was a
native of Dauphin County^ born in 1789. The pa-
ternal grandfather of Dr. Kerr was also a native of
Lancaster County. Thefatherof subject was a min-
ister of the Presbyterian Church ; for nearly a quar-
ter of a century he was the pastor of a congregation at
Donegal Church, in Lancaster County. His death
occurred September 22, 1821. The mother of Dr.
Kerr died February 22, 1850. The subject here
mentioned was reared on the farm. He attended
the common schools and subsequently spent some
time at West Nottingham Academy in Maryland,
and then entered JefEerson College, in Washington
County, Penn., from which he graduated in 1834.
After his graduation he went to Harrisburg and
took up the study of medicine under Dr. Roberts,
and then attended medical lectures at the Univer-
sity of Pennsylvania, from which he graduated in
1840, and the same year came to York and began
the practice of his profession, which he has with-
out intermission, since continued. He is the oldest
practitioner of medicine now in York. The mar-
riage of Dr. Kerr occurred in 1844 to Miss Jane
Mcllvain, a native of York. Of three children
born, only one survives the mother, viz.: Martha,
now Mrs. Dr. Bacon, Mrs. Kerr died March, 1881.
Dr. Kerr is a Republican and a member of the
Presbyterian Church, having united with that de-
nomination at seventeen years of age. In 1840 he
was elected Sabbath-school superintendent of the
Presbyterian Sabbath-school, and has since held
that office. For almost half a century he has taken
great interest In Sabbath-school work. He is an



old and prominent physician and an earnest Chris-
tian gentleman, He is a member of York County
Medical Association, the State and national Asso-
ciations.

ALEXANDER KIDD, president and director
of the York County Alms-house, and manufacturer
of cedar ware, was born in Baltimore County, Md.,
September 11, 1833; is the son of John B. and Leah
(Whitmire) Kidd ; is their only child, and is of
English-German descent. In childhood our subject
came with his mother from Baltimore.County, Md.,
to York. At fifteen years of age he began serving
an apprenticeship at the cedar cooper's trade at
which he continued work until 1864, when he en-
listed in Company H, Two-hundredth Pennsylvania
Volunteers, served one year and was honorably
discharged in 1865. In 1866 Mr. Kidd resumed hi.*
trade in the city of Baltimore, where he remained
until 1875, when he returned to York and here has
since resided. He was married in 1858 to Misa.
Caroline Shillinburg. a native of Baltimore, Md,
The marriage has resulted in the birth of twa
children : Mary J. and John W. In politics Mr.
Kidd is a Democrat. During the years 1881 and!
1882 he represented the Seventh Ward in the York
Council. In 1882 he was elected resident director
of the York County Alms-house. During his ad-
ministration some very important improvements
have been made ; the most notable perhaps is the
introduction of the steam-heating process into the
alms-house. He is a member of the order of Red
Men. Mrs. Kidd is a member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church.

ELI KINDIG, farmer and dealer in horses and
mules, was born in Windsor Township, January 11,
1823, son of Joseph and Salomi (Landis) Kindig,
and is of Swiss-German origin. His father was
born in Hellam Township, in 1787. He was one of
the prominent early settlers of York County. His
death took place in Windsor Township in 1857.
The mother of our subject was born in Windsor
Township in 1800, and died in 1883. Subject's
grandfather came to York County from Lancaster
County in early life. His death occurred in 1824,
Subject's great-grandfatlier was a native of Switzer-
land, and immigrated to America some time in the-
seventeenth century. At twenty years of age Mr,
Kindig began life for himself. For a number of
years he carried on farming and subsequently en-
gaged in his present vocation. He is one of the
most extensive dealers in horses and mules, and for
many years has been one of the most extensive
farmers in York County. He was married in 1846-
to Miss Lydia Flinchbaugh, daughter of Frederick
and Mary Flinchbaugh. They have eight children :
Benjamin, Ellen, Eli, Henry, Harrison, Joseph,
Milton and Frederick. Mrs. Kindig died in 18'77,
and two years later our subject was married to Miss
Elenora Stump, a native of York Township. Mr.
Kindig now owns the old Kindig homestead. He
has 400 acres of well-improved land. He is a.
thorough Republican in politics.

DANIEL R. KING, baker and surveyor, is s.
native of Manchester Township, York County, was
born November 6, 1833, and is a son of Daniel and
Anna (Coleman) King. His father was born in this
county in 1806, and his mother in 1807. Here his
grandfather King was born in 1772. His great-
grandfather, Philip King, and his great.great-grand-
father was Nicholas King. Our subject is one of six
living children, is of German extraction, and was
reared on the farm. At nineteen years of age he
entered York County Academy, where he remained
some time, and then began teaching school, which
he continued for thirteen years. In 1867 he removed
to York, and clerked in a store for several years.
In 1871 he began the baking business. He is also>
engaged in the cracker business in Columbia, Penn.



YORK BOROUGH.



His marriage occurred in 1856, to Miss Sarah J.
Fislier, daughter of George and Catherine Fisher.
Mrs. King was born in York in 1837. To this union
have been born William A., Charles E. and Sadie
C. Mr. King is a Democrat, and he and wife are
members of the United Brethren Church.

BENJAillN J. KING was born in Spring Gar-
den Township, September 25, 1839, a son of Henry
and Leah (Johnston) King, natives of York County,
Penn. He was brought up in York, and educated
at the York County Academy, and Bland's school
on tlie Plank Road. When fifteen years old he be-
gan clerking in a drug store, which he continued
two years, then clerked in a dry goods store two
years, and afterward followed the trade of house
painting until the breaking out of the war. April
19, 1861, he enlisted at York, Penn., in Company A,
Si.Kteenth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and
served three months. He re-enlisted on August 24,

1881, for three j'ears, in Company E, Eighty-seventh
Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and was honor-
ably discharged on account of disability, April 10,
1863. He entered the service as sergeant and came
■out with that rank. When he returned from the
war he engaged in draying freight until April, 1883,
and was transfer agent of the Peach Bottom, Penn-
sylvania ifc Northern Central Railroad for eleven
j-ears, when he sold his business to the Northern
Central Railroad Transfer Qompany, when he be-
_:?an the bottling business, which he followed one
year. He then sold out and purchased the Violet
Hill Hotel, one-half mile south of York, and moved
there July 1, 1884. and kept hotel until April 1,
S885, when on account of sickness of his wife
lie moved to York, Penn. Mr. King has leased his
Violet Hill Hotel to Frank M. Egee for one year,
with the privilege of five years. Mr. King has
moved to York, and leased his bottling works to
Henry Weigee for one year, with the privilege of
five, and is not engaged in any business at the
present time. Mr. King was married in York,
Penn., April 23. 1861, to Margaret J. Ilgenfritz,
daughter of Thomas Ilgenfritz. They have three
children living: Harry J., Lillie and Samuel J. T.
Mr. King is a member of the I. O. O. F. and En-
campment. He was one of the organizers of the
city market, and is a stockholder in the York Opera
House.

H. B. KING. M. D., is a son of E. A. and Ara-
bella F. (Nes) King, who were both natives of York
■County; his grandfather. Dr. Henry Nes, was an
•old and skillful practitioner of the county, and a
resident until his death. He represented his county
in congress several terms, and was highly honored
and esteemed. The father of our subject was a
prominent business man in his day Engaged in
the marble business, in which he was a skillful
workman and sculptor. He was also engaged in the
phosphate trade and general farming and milling.
A valuable farm and' mill property, together with
valuable real estate, located in York, descended to
our subject. The father died in 1877, the mother in

1882. H. B. King, our subject, was born in York in
1860, was educated in the schools and academy at
York, and early began the study of medicine under
the tutelage of Dr. B. F. Spangler. He subsequently
entered the Jefferson Medical College of Phila-
delphia, and graduated in 1883. after a three years'
course, subsequently taking a post graduate course
at the same institution. He is now engaged
in practice in York, and is a member of the York
County Medical Societv.

CASPER H. KLEFFMAN] is a brother of
Frederick and Gottlieb Kleffman, of Spring Garden
Township, whose sketches appear elsewhere. At
the breaking out of the late war, our subject en-
listed in Company E, Eighty-seventh Pennsylvania
Volunteer Infantry, and took part in all the marches



and engagements of his regiment until taken
prisoner at Carter's Woods, near Winchester, Va.,
June 10, 1863. after which he was confined in Libby
Prison and the prison on Belle Isle until July 7,
when he was paroled; he rejoined his regiment
October 13, same year, was wounded at the battle
of Locust Grove November 27, and was honorably
discharged October 13, 1864. In June, 1878, he
married Elizabeth Rabe, who has borne him one
daughter, Wilhelmina C. Mr, Kleffman is now a
merchant at the corner of Queen and South Streets,
and is doing a prosperous trade. In religion he is a



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 164 of 218)