John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 165 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 165 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Lutheran, and is a consistent member of St. John's
Church.

BLDVS KOHLER, proprietor of the Central
Hotel, was born in York Township April 15. 1845,
and is a son of Jacob and Anna (Sechrist) Kohler.
Mr. Kohler is the eighth in a family of nine children
and is of German descent. Mr. Kohler worked for
his father on the farm until twenty-one years of
age, when he began for himself. He went to Dal-
lastown and engaged in the butchering business,
remained there two years, then came to York and
continued the same business for three years and
then engaged in the livery business, which he con-
tinued three years; he then became proprietor of
the Central Hotel. In 1881 Mr. Kohler invented
what is known as the Kohler Improved Cattle Car,
one of the best improvements of the kind ever in-
vented. Our subject was married in 1868, to Miss
Harriet Peeling, daughter of John Peeling. They
have four children: Minnie A., Chauncy C, Gert-
rude and Erie C. Mr. Kohler is a Democrat and a
member of the I. O. O. F. He has been a member
of the town council and is a popular man.

HENRY KRABER, a representative of one of
the old families of York County, was born in York
in 1832, and is a son of John and Catherine (Gray-
bill) Kraber, whose ancestors came to America from
Germany in 1670. Their descendants have since
been prominently identified with the history of
York County. His grandfather, Adam Kreber (so
spelled), resided in York all his life; he was a black-
smith and wagon-maker, and manufactured running
gear of cannons for the Revolutionary war. He
had one son and three daughters. John Kraber
followed smithing and subsequently farming near
Dillsburg. He died in 1859 ; his wife died in 1853.
They were the parents of eight children : Henry,
Daniel. John. Adam, Michael, William. Henry and
Sarah Ann ; four are now living. Our subject,
Henry Kraber, was engaged in the mercantile busi-
ness twenty-seven years in York. He was promi-
nently identiSed witb the Farmer's Mutual Insur-
ance Company, of which he was president
twenty years ; also engaged in mining ore in York
and Cumberland Counties, and is at present inter-
ested in mining coal in Alabama ; he is also inter-
ested in the Alleghany Eictraot Company, and is
general agent for the State for the Watertown In-
surance Company; with his sons, he is engaged in
dealing at wholesale in cigars and tobacco. He
was married in 1847. to Miss Catherine E. Reichen-
baugh. of Lancaster. They have two children liv-
ing—George B. and Henry R., both in business
with their father ; and two deceased, George and
Catherine. Mr. Kraber has been connected with
the Presbyterian Church all his life.

JACOB L. KDEHN, superintendent of the York
Gas Company, was born in York March 28. 1836, to
John L. and Catherine (Laumaster) Kuehn. The
parents of our subject were born in Germany, the
birth of his father occurring in 1801 and that of his
mother in 1808. In 1816 the Kuehn family came to
America and settled in York County, Penn. His
maternal grandfather, however, was a soldier in the
Revolutionary war. Both families are old settlers
of York County. Mr. Kuehn was educated at the



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



29"



public schools of York. At fifteen years of age he
began carpentering and continued that for some
years. In 1856 he was appointed superintendent of
the Gas Company, and this position he has since
held. In 1882 he was appointed superintendent of
the Yorli Water Company. Almost all his life Mr.
Kuehn has been connected with public works. He
was married in 1857 to Mi.ss Anna C. Vogel, daughter
of Francis S. Vogel. They have two children: A.
Lizzie and Hattie A. Mr. Kuehn is an earnest sup-
porter of Republicanism. Mr. and Mrs. Kuehn are
members of the Presbyterian Church.

THE KURTZ FAMILY. The origin of this
family in America is authoritatively traced back to
Rev. Nicholas Kurtz, who immigrated to America
some time in the seventeenth century,and settled in
Pennsylvania. George Peter Kurtz was one of a
family of twelve children born to Nicholas and
Helena (Albright) Kurtz. He was born in Berks
County, October 4, 1749. He was one of the early
men who came to York County and one of York's
pioneer merchants, and an active, enterprising
and respected citizen. Here he resided until his
death. His son, George Peter Kurtz, was born in
York, October 17, 1799. This representative of the
Kurtz family was educated for the ministry, but
subsequently he learned the carpenter's trade, and
chose what seemed to him a more humble sphere in
life. He was married, in 1825,to Miss Eliza E. Fisher,
also a native of York County, and a daughter of
Dr. John and Eliza E. Fisher. The result of this
union was two children, viz.: Catherine and Amelia.
Mr. Kurtz died in 1836; his widow died in 1882.
Another important personage of the family was
Charles Kurtz, born August 30, 1791. He was mar-
ried to Julia Ann Eichelberger, a native of this
county. Two children were born to them: William
H. and Catherine, now residing in Minneapolis,
Minn. The former was born in York, in 1823, and
here he has since resided. His early education was
acquired at York County Academy, but his exten-
sive knowledge of business has been acquired
through his own efforts and in actual practical life.
At fourteen years of age he was thrown upon his
own resources, and for seven years he was employed
as a clerk in a store. In 1848 he engaged in the
malting business, and continued until 1873. when
he became a member of the firm known asBaugher,
Kurlz & Stewart, iron and brass founders, machin-
ists, and manufacturers of turbine water-wheels.
There is in connection with this establishment the
Codorus Tannery,which is one of the most extensive
institutions of its kind in Pennsylvania. A com-
plete sketch of these enterprises may be found in
another portion of this work. The marriage of Mr.
Kurtz with Miss Mary Baugher was solemnized
August 17, 18.56. To this union have been born two
children: Charles and Julia. Mrs. Kurtz died in
1861, and, five years later, Mr. Kurtz was married
to Miss Julia A. Baugher, a sister of his former
wife, and daughter of Frederick Baugher, who was
one of the leading citizens of York. Mr. Kurtz is
enterprising in business, liberal in all nffairs of true
worth and 'merit, and ranks as one of York County's
most valued citizens. Mr. Kurtz and wife are mem-
bers of the Lutheran Church.

CAPT. WILLIAM H. LANIUS, one of the lead-
ing representative business men of York County, is
a descendant of Christian and Anna (Updegraff)
Lanius {grandparents). The former was born at
Kreutz Creek, York County, September 16, 1773;
died in York, February 16, 1847. The latter was
born in York, March 16, 1774, died at the same
place October 9, 1830. The parents of our subject
were Henry and Angeline (Miller) Lanius. The for-
mer born September 20, 1809, died June 26, 1879.
The mother was born March 28, 1822, and is still
living in York. Henry Lanius was a prominent



business man of York and highly esteemed. He wa."*-
exten.sively engaged in the lumber trade, and con-
tinued an active business man up to his death. In
1860 and 1861 he served as chief burgess of the
borough, and was for several years a director on
the school board. He was a prominent member of
the Moravian Church, and at the time of his death,
president of the church council. Eight children
are descendants, viz.: Marcus C, Annie L., Will-
iam H., Ellen A., Charles C, Sarah F., Paul and
Susan H. Capt. Lanius was born at Flushing;
Long Island, N. Y., November 26, 1843, and when
a youth, came with his parents to York, where he
received a liberal education, attending the pubMc
schools and the York County Academy. In August.
1861, he enlisted as a private in Company A,
Eighty-seventh Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer
Infantry, but was soon after transferred to Com-
pany I,"as first sergeant, remaining until the close
of their service. He was commissioned second lieu-
tenant, March 1, 1863; first lieutenant, November 18,
1863, and as captain, June 25, 1864. Capt. Lanius-
was with his regiment in all its engagements ancJ.
battles, among which may be named Winchester.
Mine Run, Locust Grove, Wilderness, Spottsyl-
vania. Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Monocacy, Ope-
quan and Fisher's Hill. He was wounded at the
battle of Monocacy, July 9, and honorably dis-
charged October 13, 1864, after over three years''
faithful and active service. Capt. Lanius embarked
in business in York in 1867, engaging in the lumbei -
trade, which he has continued up to the present
time. In 1871 he formed a business association
with his brother, Marcus C, conducting a brancli
at Wrightsville until 1878, and at the present time
has extensive lumber interests at Williamsport.
Capt. Lanius has also been identified with various-
other enterprises, and ranks as one of the leaders-
in all measures of progress. He published in 1884 a
superior map of the borough of York, and has laid!
out a valuable addition to the same in the Fifteentlt
Ward. He is the originator and president of the
West End Improvement Company, described in'
another portion of this book. He organized thc-
first Post of the G. A. R. in York County; is a
member of York Lodge No. 266, A. F. & A. M., and;
a representative in the common council. Capt.
Lanius has always taken an active interest in polit-
ical affairs, and early in life organizing the Boys in
Blue in the campaign of 1866 at the age of twenty-
two years, and was made president of the organiza-
tion, and remaining in that position in 1868 and!
1869. In 1884 he was a delegate to the Republican
National Convention at Chicago. In 1867 he was-
united in marriage with Miss Lucy Smyser, daugh-
ter of Michael Smyser, of York. They have three
children: Mary S., Grace A. and Perry L.

ISRAEL LAUCKS, of the leading firm of"
Laucks & Son, dealers in dry goods and notions,
was born in York County, in September, 1827, and
is the son of George and Elizabeth (Smyser) Laucks-
He remained at home with his father on the farm
until he was twenty years of age,- in the meantime-
attended the common schools. At the age of twenty
he came to York andentered the York High School.
After finishing his studies he formed a co-partner-
ship with S. K Myers, and engaged in the boot and
shoe, dry goods and notion business at York. "This-
partnership was afterward dissolved by mutual
consent, and Mr. Laucks formed a partnership with
his son, George W. Laucks, December 31, 1883, under
the firm style of Laucks & Son, dealers in dry goods-
and notions. They have a large stock and do a-
thriving business. Mr. Laucks was married May 4.
1854, to Imilda A., daughter of William A. and
Lyda Wilt, of York. To this union were born six
children, as follows: Irene E., George W., Amanda.
L., Grace V., Sadie M. and S. Farry. Mr. Laucks



YOBK BOROUGH.



has been director of the First National Bank of
York; treasurer of the Farmers' Market Company,
and is president of the York Coach Company, also
president of the York Safe and Lock Company.
He has been an active member of the Reformed
Churcli for more than thirty-seven years, and was
elected to the office of deacon, and subsequently
elder in the church of his choice.

LEHMA.YERi& BROTHER, dealers in clothing,
hats, gents' furnishing goods, and sole agents for
the celebrated Pearl Shirt. Mr. N. Lehmayer is a
native of Germany, and came to America in 1847.
Among the business interests of York there is none
that deserves more prominent mention than the
firm here mentioned. This enterprise was estab-
lished in 1847, beginning with limited means and a
small stock, but energy and a determined will were
not lacking. For many years this firm has main-
tained a front rank in the clothing trade of York
Coiintof. Here is kept constantly on hand a most
complete and varied assortment of all kinds of
clothing and gents' furnishing goods. Special at-
tention is given to the latest styles and changes.
This firm buys directly from the manufacturers, for '
cash and in large quantities, and is ever prepared to ;
extend to the trade the best possible bargains, j
There are no advantages to bs gained by the people i
of York and York County by going to the large
cities, when this firm offers the equal in every par-
ticular. The building was enlarged in 1834, and
now the principal sales department is 13.5x.33 feet, [
and is steam-heated. Six assistants are employed
in the establishment. Mr. Lehmayer is a striking
example of the proverbial tlirift of his race. Mr. I
liehmayer, by his uniform courtesy, has won
the respect of a large circle of friends, and is
known as a most reputable man. His residence, on
East Market Street, is one of the most elegant and
extensive in York.

C. E. LEWIS is a descendant of Ellis Lewis,
who, with John Rankin and James Bennett, re-
moved from Chester County, about 1736, and set-
tled in the region of York County, where afterward
his son, Eli Lewis, laid out the town of Lewisberry.
Dr. Webster Lewis was grandfather of C. E. Lewis.
Ellis Lewis, chief justice of Pennsylvania, James
Lewis, attorney at law at York, and Eli Lewis,
president of the First National Bank of York,
were sons of Eli. Dr. Robert Nebinger Lewis, who
practiced medicine in Dover for many years, and
Mary Moore, were subject's father and mother.
C. E. Lewis was born in Dover, April 5, 1844. He
attended the common schools until seventeen years
of age, when he entered the York County Academv,
then under Prof. G. W. Ruby, as principal, and D.
M. Ettinger, the accomplished mathematician and
surveyor, as teacher in arithmetic, algebra, geometry
and other branches related thereto, and attended
its sessions three years, and afterward for a sbort
period was its assistant principal. With his
brother. Rush Webster Lewis, C. E. Lewis started
in York the manufacture of shoes by machinery,
and this was the first business in which he was en-
gaged. Previous to this, however, he had spent a
year and a quarter in the city of Lynn, Mass., and
Amesbury, Mass., where he was for some time en-

faged as foreman in the finishing room of the
aiisbury and Amesbury mills. Subsequently he
became book-keeper for James N. Buffum's lumber
manufacturing establishment, at Lynn. Mass. He
returned to York in June, 1866, and July following
was elected a clerk in the First National Bank at
York, and continued in the bank until January 1,
1871, having gained the position of teller in the
meantime. It was at this time he left the bank to
engage in the manufacture of shoes, in which busi-
ness he was engaged ei^ht years. In January, 1879,
he was elected as cashier of the Western National



Bank of Y''ork, where he is now engaged. April
26, 1869, he married Ellen Sarah,' the second
daughter of Joseph Smyser, of the borough of
York, Penn., and has had born to him the following
children : Ellis Smyser. member of St. Paul's
Church, and clerk in the Western National Bank ;
Joseph Smvser, Mabel Rebecca, Sadie Moore, Clay
Eugene, Nellie Kate, and Margie Violet, all living.
WILLIAM Y. LlfTK. ex-prothonotary of York
County, was born in Dover Township, York County,
January 14, 1838, to Benjamin and Margaret (Yesler)
Link, and is of German-Scotch descent. The
parents of Mr. Link were natives of York County,
the father, born about 1805, died in 1839, and the
mother, born in 1808, died in 1873. Tbe grand-
father Link was also a native of York County, and
still resides in Dover Township. The Yesler family
is an ancient one, of York County. Mr. Link was
educated at the public schools of Dover Township.
At ten years of age he was thrown entirely upon
his own resources. He worked on the farm until
he was nineteen years of age. and then learned the
carpenter's trade, and continued this until 1875. In
1875 he was elected prothonotary of York County
and served three years, since which time he has
been working at his" trade. The marriage of Mr.
Link took place in 1863, to Miss Catherine Aughen-
baugh, daughter of George Aughenbaugh, a native
of Manr^hester Township. They have six children,
viz.: William F.. Laura J., Harry E., Bertha K.,
Chauncj' A. and Chester G. Mr. and Mrs. Link are
members of St. Paul's Lutheran Church.

HEN^RY LINT, second of three children of
Peter and Elizabeth (Smyser) Lint, was born in
West Manchester Township, July 20, 1839, where
he was reared on his father's farm and lived in this
township until he removed with his father to the
home where he now lives. He removed to York in
1840. His maternal ancestors, the Smysers, were
the pioneer settlers in West Manchester Township.
Mr. Lint is a member of the Lutheran Church.
(For our subject's ancestral history, see sketch of
his brother, Peter Lint).

DR. L, M. LOCKMAN. son of the Rev. A. H.
Lockman, of York, was born in August, 1839, at
Harrisburg, Penn. He attended the common schools
of York in youth, and completed a course in York
Academy. He then entered the drug store of Dr.
Alexander Barnitz as clerk, and remained with him
two years. He then began the study of medicine
with Dr. Jacob Hay, Sr., with whom he remained
two years, then began a course of study with Dr.
James W. Kerr, of York, with whom he remained
until he graduated. He attended the Pennsylvania
Medical College, of Philadelphia, and graduated in
1853. He returned to York and began the practice
of his profession. He remained in York until 1853,
then went to Littlestown, Penn., remained one year,
and then moved to Liverpool, Manchester Town-
ship, where he remained six years. In 1889 he
again returned to York, where he still continues
the practice of his profession. He married, March,
18.53, Maria, daughter of Dr. John F. Fischer, of
York. Their union was blessed with four children, as
follows: William C. (deceased), John F. (deceased),
Augustus (deceased) and Harry D. The Doctor is
a rnember of St. Luke's Lutheran Church.

ZACHARIAH K. LOUCKS is a grandson of
John George Loucks, who was one of the early em-
igrants from Germany that settled in the beautiful
region of Berks County, known as Tulpehocken,
where he purchased a tract of land. About the
year 1780, hearing of the fertile lands west of the
Susquehanna, he immigrated to York County to con-
tinue his chosen occupation of farming, and pur-
chased land southwest of York. May 13, 1805, he
purchased the mill and farm where Z. K. Loucks now
lives. George Loucks, son of John George Loucks,




i§f ?



-^. (^ . Xtid^^^^i^-^<i-^



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



father of the subject of this sketch, was born Au-
gust 18, 1787, and died October 29, 1849, aged sixty-
t' o years, two months and eleven days. He fol-
lowed the two occupations of miller and farmer at
f'leLoucks' homestead. Hepurchased agreatdealof
■ il estate, and at his death owned the mill property,
was married to Susanna AVeltzhoffer, of Hellam
wnship, and had three sons and four daughters.
2. jhariah K. Loucks, the subject of this sketch,
was born March 14, 1833, on the place where he now
r^^ides. He received his education in the York
C'lunty Academy, under Rev. Stephen Boyer. For
a number of years was a class-mate of Prof. Kirk-
wood, now the famous astronomer and mathema-
tician. He commenced business in York first as a
cl irk with the firm of Schriver, Loucks & Co., and
afterward was a clerk for Loucks & Becker at the
old Manor Furnace in Chanceford Township, where
he remained one year. He then entered the store
o) Henry Becker in York until 1839, when he re-
tn -ned to his home in Spring Garden Township, and
a .ended to the duties of the grist-milland farm un-
t his father's death. After tliis event he and his
'^-•other, Henry I., succeeded their father in business
the old homestead, where they still reside, about
one mile north of York, along the line of the North-
er n Central Railroad. In his new and elegant man-
sion, built in 1881, with its large piazzas, porticoes
aiid beautiful lawn around it, he is afforded all the
comforts, conveniences and enjoyments of'rural life.
For many years he turned his attention closely to
fi rming and milling. Here, on this site, was erected
o e of the first grist-mills west of the Susquehanna.
Tiie old two-story mill, distillery and saw-mill were
destroyed by fire on April 29, 1864. The present
commodious, five-story brick mill was built during
the fall of 1864, at a cost of $30,000. It contains
the latest improvements of milling machinery, and
has a capacity of 150 barrels of flour in twenty -four
hours. During the past twenty years it has been
leased by P. A. & S. Small, of York. Cars are
pulled by water power to the mill, over a switch
from the Northern Central Railway to load flour.
In connection with milling and farming. Mr.
Loucks has been largely engaged in other business.
At the time of the organization of the First National
Bank of York, in 1863, he was elected a director.
He was afterward elected vice-president, and in the
year 1877 was chosen president of that institution,
and now occupies that position. He was a director
and general financier of the York & Peach Bottom
Railway when it was built; for many years a mem-
ber of the board of directors of York County Agri-
cultural Society, and is a life member of the same;
one of the projectors and is now president of the
Chanceford Turnpike Company and a director; was
a director of the York City Market until its comple-
tion, when he resigned; is vice-president of the
Penn Mutual Horse Insurance Company of York,
and is largely engaged in the real estate business.
Mr. Loucks was married January 5. 1843, to Sarah
Ann, daughter of Col. Michael Ebert, of Spring
Garden. Ske was born March 18, 1822. Their eld-
est son, Alexander, resides in Manchester Town-
ship, and was married to Catharine Wambaugh.
They have four children: Harry, William, Annie
and Isabel. George E., the second son of Z. K. and
Sjirah Ann Loucks, was married to Susan Jane
]fiyers. He resides at Hellam Station. Edward,
the third son, is at home. Z. K. Loucks, Jr., the
fourth son, is a law student in Philadelphia, and
graduated with high honors from the College of
New Jersey, at Princeton. Isabella, the only daugh-
ter, was married to John W. Kohler, and died at
the age of twentj^-seven, leaving two children: Will-
iam I. and Edwin. Mr. Loucks, as a businessman,
has had an active and prosperous career. He is
possessed of good judgment, keen discrimination



and excellent financial and executive abilities. In
politics he was originally an active Whig, cast hi.i
first presidential vote for Gen. Harrison, and was an
enthusiastic advocate of Henry Clay's election. He
is now an ardent advocate of the principles of the
Republican party.

CASPER LOTJCKS, born in York County, June
4, 1834, is a son of William and Elizabeth (Spang-
ler) Loucks, and assisted his father, who was a
farmer and distiller, until twenty-six years of age,
then managed the home farm himself five years,
removed to York in 18— and engaged in the manu-
facture of all kinds of crackers and cakes for five
years; subsequently erected a building and removed
to his present location, southwest corner of South
George and Maple Streets, where he opened a pop
manufactory and beer-bottling establishment, and
is doing an extensive business. He was married
March 34, 1861, to Annie M., daughter of Israel Pis-
sel, and they have seven children: Elizabeth, Will-
iam, Ida May, Katie, Mary, Edward and Charles.
Mr. Loucks has been an active member of the Re-
formed Church for many years.

FRANKLIN LOUCKS, born in York County
September 37, 1834, is a son of Peter and Maria
Loucks, was brought up on his father's farm in
West Manchester Township, and followed farming
on the homestead until 1869, then moved to York
and engaged in business as a member of the firm of
Fahs, Smith & Co., dealers in coal, and, subsequent-
ly, dealt also quite extensively in grain, flour and
feed. At the end of five years he severed his con-
nection with that firm, formed a partnership with
Bender Bros, in the flour, feed and grain business;
sold his interest in the firm in 1883; bought a lot on
West Philadelphia Street, and erected a commodi-
ous warehouse, where he has built up an extensive
trade in the same business. He was married Feb-
ruary, 1857, to Mary A., daughter of Adam and
Eliza Smyser, and they have had five children:
Eliza (deceased), Charles A. (deceased), Anna and
Sallie and William F. He is a member of the Lu-
theran Church.

GEORGE W. S. LOUCKS is a prominent
young business man and identified with the develop-



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 165 of 218)