John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 168 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 168 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ried. But in 1871, after an absence of forty-one
years, he moved back to York, his native town,
after which he called one of his sons, thus showing
that he never forgot the town that gave him birth.
Thus D. K. Noell has made himself, without friend,
school or even favorable circumstances, a man of
worth, wealth and intelligence. He never went to
school, he never learned a trade, had no relations
or friends in the world who would or could help
him. All he got of men he paid
full value for by the sweat of his
brow. He honestly worked at all
and everything that might offer,
when he needed work. Sometimes
he was a miner, quarryman, well-
digger, riverman, boatman, cooper,
etc., but never without a book from
which to study, and which, at last,
brought him to teaching and a for-
tune. In 1841, with asmall slate and
an arithmetic, he traveled 100 miles
on foot, through snow, slush and
ice, from Harrisburg to Wilkslane,
Penn., and ciphered nearly all the
way. And in this way he mastered
all the branches necessary to a good
English education. Being a man
of perseverance and indomitable
will, he always executed what he
undertook. What a lesson this
affords for young men! What en-
couragement for" effort, persever-
ance and sobriety! What a strong
proof of the fact that he who wills
r!

and Elizabeth (Leckrone) Noss,
was born in December, 1831. His
parents were among the early set-
tlers of York County. His father
was a miller by trade, and followed
milling for a number of years in
West Manchester Township, and
subsequently engaged in the mer-
cantile business. He still resides
in West Manchester Township.
Herman Noss attended the schools
of York County until the age of six-
teen; he then served three years'
apprenticeship at the harness-mak-
ing business, under the instruction
of John W. Small, and worked
at the business for Mr. Small for
twenty-six years and nine months. He began the
lumber and coal business in 1878, in York, which
business he has carried en extensively to the present
time. He was elected treasurer of York County in
the fall of 1873, and served two years; he also
served as school director six years. He married in
the spring of 1858. Sarah J., daughter of Peter and
Christiann (Small) Grimm, natives of York. To
this union were born six children, viz.: AYilliam S.,
George B. M. (deceased), Mary V., John W., Adel-
ada,Harry P. William, the eldest, assists his father
as clerk in the lumber and coal business. Mr. Noss
and wife and two of his children are members of
the Rev. J. O. Miller's German Reformed Church.

H. L. NEUMAN, engaged in the wholesale man-
ufacture of ice cream, and the manufacture of agri-
cultural implements, is a native of Conewago
Township, and the son of Jacob and Elizabeth Neu-



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



man, natives of this county. After leaving the
home farm, H. L. Neuman engaged as a clerk in a
dry goods store in Yorli, where he remained until
1861, when he enlisted in the Eighty-seventh Penn-
sylvania Volunteers, served three years, and near
Richmond was seriously wounded in the leg. Re-
turning to the county, he engaged in the confec-
tionery business, under the firm name of Neuman
& "Wiest, for nine years, and then engaged in the
wholesale manufacture of ice cream. In 1874 he
also engaged in the manufacture of agricultural
implements, which he still continues. He, was
married in 1867 to Miss Amanda Wambaugh. of
York, and there have been born to him four chil-
dren: Edward N., James W., Margie and Daisy M.
Mr. and Mrs. Neuman are members of the Re-
formbd Church, and Mr. N. is a member of the
G. A. R.

PHINEAS PALMER, born in Bucks County,
Penn., May 1, 1834, is a son of Phineas and Sarah
Palmer, natives of the same county. At the age of
twelve he left the paternal roof to seek his fortune.
In 1840 lie apprenticed himself to Joseph Stewart,
carriage-maker of Trenton, N. J., served five years,
and then, in the fall of 1845, came to York and
worked nearly five years at journey work, and in
October, 1850, established a manufactory, which he
has ever since conducted, being now one of the old-
est and most extensive carriage-makers in the bor-
ough. In November, 1847, he married Miss Susan,
daughter of William Lenhart, of York County, and
there have been born to him twelve children, of
whom the six surviving are Milton L., Emma E.,
Franklin P., Sarah K., Lucy and Harry P. Mr.
Palmer is a member of the order of A. F, & A. M.

P. J. PALMTAG, son of John and Bertha
(Henise) Palmtag. was born May 37, 1859, in York
County, Penn. His parents were born in Wur-
temberg, Germany. John Palmtag has for many
years been extensively engaged in the manufacture
of soaps and candles, in connection with the chand-
lery business. F. J. Palmtag, the subject of this
sketch, although a young man, has a thorough
knowledge of the soap and chandlery business, and
has for several years managed the business for his
father.

JOHN F. PATTON, proprietor of the City
Drug Store, so well known to the citizens of York
County, is of English and Scotch-Irish ancestry.
His grandfather, John Patton, was born in County
Antrim, North Ireland, and his grandmother, Mar-
garet (McGowen) Patton, in County Tyrone. Soon
after their marriage, they immigrated to America,
and located, in the year 1780, in Chester County.
They had fifteen children — twelve boys and three
girls. Both grandparents died at the age of eighty
years, or upward. The father of our subject, Ebe-
nezer Patton, was the eighth son. In early life he
learned the trade of shoemaking, and moved to
Chanceford Township, this county^ and in 1830 was
married to Rebecca Smith, of Lancaster County.
The other brothers and sisters located in Chester,
Lancaster and Berks Counties, and the family be-
came very numerous. Ebenezer Patton died at the
age of forty-nine, and the mother, with her eight
children, moved to Wrightsville, where she died in
the 3'ear 1853. John F. Patton, the fourth son of
this family, was born in Lower Windsor Township,
December 15, 1839. He received his educational
training in the common schools. In 18.53 he came to
York and engaged as a clerk in a dry goods store.
In the spring of 1856 he entered the drug store of
Dr. Jacob Hay, Sr., to learn a business for which
he has since proven himself so admirably fitted. He
entered the wholesale drug establishment of Thom-
sen & Block, of Baltimore, in 1859. remaining there
until 1866. During that year he went to St. Louis,
but, on account of sickness, stayed there but a few



months, and returned to Baltimore. In the year
1869 he began the drug business for himself in a small
room on the north side of West Market Street, York,
on the same site of his present handsome and ele-
gant store building. In 1873 he moved his store to
the large business room of Martin Bender, nearly
opposite the Motter House. He always prospered
in business, continually enjoying a large and in-
creasing trade. The familiar name of "City Drug
Store" was found in the columns of every newspa-
per in the county, and on all the conspicuous adver-
tising places that could be obtained. His industry
and close and attentive application to business were
worthy of admiration. They were the cause of his
unrivaled prosperity. But the disastrous flood of
June, 1884, played sad havoc with his store, and the
owner narrowly escaped with his life. The con-
tents were almost a total wreck. He had already
begun the erection of the new City Drug Store, a
three-story brick building, with a large and commo-
dious store room, which he stocked and fitted up on
a more extensive scale than ever, in September.
1884. In this place he has now an extensive and
encouraging trade. Mr. Patton is an enterprising,
public-spirited citizen, and a member of St. Paul's
Lutheran Church, of York.

DR. EDWARD H. PENTZ was born January
24, 1836, and is the son of John and Salania Pentz.
natives of York County. The subject of this
sketch had the advantage of an education, and be-
gan a course of studies preparatory to his profession
under the instructions of Dr. Theodore Haller. He
subsequently went to New York and graduated at
the Medical University of New York, about the
year 1848. He then returned to York and began
the practice of his profession, and through his skill
and devotion to the duties relative to his profession
soon built up a good practice in the borough of
York and the surrounding country. He devoted his
time and energy to his profes"sion until a few
months before his death. He died November 30,
1873. Dr. Pentz married, April 14, 1853, Miss Jose-
phine, daughter of Charles and Anna M. (Spangler)
Weiser, of York. To this union was born one son,
Bransby C, who is a photographer, and at present
writing is doing an extensive business in York, hav-
ing one of the finest appointed studios in southern
Pennsylvania, and is noted for his superior work.

J. TURNER PERKINS, M. D., a native of
Prince George County, Md., was born in 1854. He
is of English and Scotch ancestry, and a son of
James T. and Susan M. (Travers) Perkins. His
father is a large planter and a resident of Mary-
land. Dr. Perkins received superior educational
advantages, and was graduated from the Maryland
Agricultural College, A. B. Ph. D. In 1874 he com-
menced his medical studies at Baltimore, having
for his preceptor Prof. Nathan R. Smith. He was
graduated from the University of Maryland in
1877, as M. D., and for one year was an assistant
to his preceptor. He located in York in 1878, where
he has been in constant practice since, and has
achieved a reputation as one of the leading physi-
cians and surgeons of York County. Dr. Perkins
has taken three special courses in surgery at Balti-
more, and has been surgeon in the Baltimore Marine
Hospital and of the city almshouse. He is a mem-
ber of the York County Medical Association, of
which he has been vice-president, and is a Royal
Arcanum Mason. In 1883 Dr. Perkins was married
to Miss Nora Salmon, daughter of Maj.-Gen. George
Paris Salmon, of the English Army, a native of
Scotland.

F. MARVIN T. PFLIEGER. chief clerk in the
Northern Central & Pennsylvania Railway freight
office, was born in 1855 and is of German descent.
The Pflieger family is well known in the history of
York County. Mr. Pflieger was educated at the



40



YORK BOROUGH.



public scliools aud York County Academy, and In

1869 entered the employ of the firm now known as
Thomas Chambers & Co., as messenger, and in

1870 was promoted to the position of book-keeper.
Here he remained until 1875, when he engaged in
the railway business. In 1880 he was made chief
clerk, and still holds that position. He was mar-
ried, in 1876, to Ida J. Keech, daushter of W. L.
Keech. They have two children. Mr. Pflieger is a
stanch Democrat.

HEiSTRY PRESAW, son of Henry and Barbara
(Smith) Presaw, was born near Hanover, January
20, 1833. Henry, the subject of this sketch, is the
youngest in a family of six children. He learned
the trade of blacksmith and followed it for many
years. At the breaking out of the war he enlisted
"in Company I (Capt. Russell). First Maryland Cav-
alry. He was in the first raid made by Gen. Stone-
man in the Shenandoah Valley, and was also in the
battles of Winchester, Rappahannock Dam, Briscoe
Station, Gettysburg, Malvern Hill, Front Royal,
Maryland Heights and Brandy Station. At an en-
gagement on the Weldon Railroad, Mr. Presaw lost
his left leg (August 16, 1864), by a minie ball, and
had his leg amputated the same day. He was sent
to Beverly Hospital, New Jersey, and remained
there about .six weeks, and then removed to the
hospital at Broad and Cherry Streets, Philadelphia,
and remained there about three months, when he
was honorably discharged. Few soldiers from this
section have seen more hard service than the subject
of this sketch. January 20, 1872, Mr. Presaw mar-
ried Catherine Mate, of York, Penn.

THOMAS RAMSAY, justice of the peace, is a
native of Baltimore, born October 14, 1843. His
parents were William and Mary (Kilgore) Ramsay,
the former a native of Baltimore, and the latter of
York County. His father was engaged in the mer-
cantile business in Baltimore until 1852, when he
removed to York County where he continued in busi-
ness until his death. The subject of this biography
was the eldest of four children, and although quite
young upon the death of his father, assisted his
mother in conducting the business left by his father,
devoting his leisure to study. He entered the high
school of York at the .age of fourteen, and when
sixteen -began teaching in York County, He subse-
quently entered Duff's Commercial College at Pitts-
burgh and graduated in 1863. Being offered a profes-
sorship in this college he accepted and remained one
year, resigning to accept a position as chief clerk
tendered to him by an extensive oil refinery at
Pittsburgh, which position he held one year, the
works being destroyed by fire. Returning to York,
he was engaged at several vocations until 1875,
when he was appointed deputy clerk of the courts,
which position he held two terms. In April, 1881,
he was appointed justice of the peace by Gov. Hoyt
to fill a vacancy in the Sixth Ward; and subsequent-
ly he was elected to the same office for a term of
five years, which position he is now creditably fill-
ing. Mr. Ramsay is a member of the I. O. O. F.,
the I. 0. R. M. and the order known as the Seven
Wise Men. In 1876 Mr. Ramsay was married to
Miss Helena Hemler, of Adams County, Penn.

B. A. REESE, foreman of the smith and plow
department at Farquhar's, was born in Eutaw,
Ala., February 1, 1851; he is a son of Edward and
Charlotte (McKinstry) Reese, and is of Scotch-Irish
descent. After receiving a common school educa-
tion he learned coach and carriage-making, and
continued that work in his native State until 1874,
when he came to York, and for a time worked at
pattern making for A. B. Farquhar, and about two
years later he was made foreman of the smith and
plow department, where he has since continued.
He has under him about fifty men. In ISnd he
married Miss Louisa M. Buckingham, a native of



Piqua, Ohio, and a daughter of Ferdinand Buck-
ingham. They have one child, Edwin B. Politi-
cally Mr. Reese is a Democrat. Mrs. Reese is a
member of the Trinity Reformed Chuich.

WILLIAM G. REICHLBY, general merchant,
was born in York, July 15, 1852, is the son of Jacob
and Sophia (Bilber) Reichley, and is the second of
seven children. The parents of our subject were
born in Germany, came to America in 1847, and
settled in York, where the mother died in 1880. Mr.
Reichley received a common school education at the
schools of York. Subsequently he clerked in a
store for five years. In 1870 he began the general
merchandise business in York. His marriage
occurred in 1871, to Miss Kate Heindel, a native of
York County, and a daughter of P. B. and Cathe-
rine Heindel. Of four children born to them two
are living: Nettie M. and William J. Mr. Reichley
is a Democrat and takes great interest in politics.
He and wife are members of the Lutheran Church.

FREDERICK REINDEL is a native of Bava-
ria, Germany, 'was born in 1838, and is a son of Dr.
Thomas and Kuninguda Reindel. His father was
born in Germany and died there. His mother still
resides in that country, and is seventy-four years of
age. The subject of this sketch was educated at
the public schools of Germany. At fourteen years
of age he joined the Bavarian Army, in which he
spent fifteen years. In 1870 he came to America,
and settled in Baltimore, Md., and engaged in the
barbering and hair dressmg business. There he re-
mained some time and then came to Hanover, and
continued the same business. In 1874 he came to
York and continued the same business, until about
five years ago. Since that time he has been engaged
in the wine and liquor business. He was married in
1870 to Miss Julia Ulrici, a native of Bavaria. They
have two children, Harry and Clara.

THE REISINGER FAMILY are of the early set-
tlers of York County. Carl, Gotlieb aud Jacob, three
brothers, came to.this country in 1767, and settled at
Lexington, Mass.' At the breaking out of the Rev-
olution they joined a company organized by Bene-
dict Arnold, and were engaged at the first battle of
Bunker Hill. Jacob was'killed or drowned at Long
Island. Carl and Gotlieb served through the war,
to the battle of Yorktown, where Lord Cornwallis
surrendered the British troops to Gen. Washington.
Carl and Gotlieb then came to York County. Carl
married a daughter of Gen. Boyer, and had born to
him nine daughters and one son, Samuel Reisinger.
Samuel married a daughter of Conrad Gipe, and
raised a familj' of seven daughters and four sons.
The names of the four sons are William I. Reisinger,
George Reisinger, Henry Reisinger and Adam Reis-
inger. Henry Reisinger was elected recorder of
deeds, of York County, in 1866. William I. Reis-
inger, the eldest of the four sons, married a daughter
of Henry Hartman and had five sons, Samuel H.
Reisinger and William F. Reisinger, who served
during the lale Rebellion, and O. De Witt Reisinger,
Calvin J. Reisinger and Elmer E. Reisinger and two
daugh ers. William I. Reisinger was an active
worker in the Democratic party from his early life.
He joined the York, Penn., Rifle Company,
which was ordered out by the governor in 1844,
and took part in the Philadelphia riots in 1849. He
took an active part in organizing the Worth Infantry
Company, which was commanded by Capt. Zeigle
up to 1861. At the breaking out of the Rebellion
the company was attached 1o the Sixteenth Penn-
sylvania Regiment. Capt. Ziegle was made colonel,
for three months' service. William I. Reisinger was
quartermaster-sergeant of the said regiment. Af-
ter the three months' service he raised forty men for
the Ringgold Cavalry and failed in getting a com-
mission; organized a company of 109 men and
gave the command to Daniel Herr, with the under-



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



41



standing that he should be major, but took first
lieutenant. After a short time Capt. Herr resigned
and he became the captain, and served as such in
Compan3' I, Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry up to
October 15, 1864, vphen he was compelled to quit the
service on account of his ill health. During his
he received four wounds, but none of a
character, and was in bad health for some
years after his return from the war. In 1875 he was
elected a justice of the peace in York, and in 1881
was re-elected, and was well spoken of as a justice.

E. A. RICE, son of William H. and Sarah (Ju-
lius) Rice, eldest of three children, was born June
14, 1868, in Dover Township. He was reared on a
farm and received his education in the public
schools of Paradise Township, and four years at
East Berlin Normal School. He began teaching in
Paradise Township; after teaching three terms re-
mov.d to York in 1883. where he has since resided,
teaching the Penn Street Primary School one
term, then promoted to teach No. 65 Secondary
School; has just finished his second term here and
received a professional certificate from Prof. Shelley.
Mr. Rice also attended the State Normal School, at
Millersville, Penn. He is a young man of pleasing
address, conscientious in the discharge of his duty
and highly esteemed by all who know him. His
father was born in Codorus Township, and brought
up on a farm. September, 1863. he married Sarah Ju-
lius, daughter of Peter and Maria (Shaffer) Julius,
of Dover Town.ship. Three children were born of
this marriage: E. A. (our subject), Anuie M. and
Charles P. His maternal ancestors were among the
earliest settlers of Dover Township.

J. F. ROHRBACH, Jr., dealer in all kinds of
hardware, paints, oils and groceries, is a native of
Codorus Township, born in 1851, son of J. F., Sr.,
and Julia A. (Geisleman) Rohrbach. In a family
of twelve children he is the third, and is of German
descent. His parents are natives of this county.
Formerly Mr. Rohrbach was a farmer, but at about
nineteen years of age he accepted a clerkship in the
hardware store of Hantz & Bro., of York, and here
remained twelve years. In 1883 he began his
present business, which has since increased from
year to year until now he does an extensive trade.
By the flood of 1884 he lost about |3,000. He was
married, in 187."i. to Miss Emma Meekly, who died
in 1881. In 1883 he was united in marriage to Miss
Ida Neiman. daughter of John Neiman. Mr. Rohr-
bach has fought his every battle, and through
energy he has been victorious. He was educated at
the public schools. Mr. and Mrs. Rohrbach are
members of the Lutheran Church, and are highly
respected citizens.

JOSEPH ROOT, a native of New Hampshire,
was born October 31, 1811, and is the son of Joseph
and Lydia (Croak) Root. He received a good aca-
demical education, and at the age of nineteen began
teaching in Vermont, and was thus employed for
five successive terms of five months each. He was
next employed by Alfred Blake, scale-maker, as a
traveling salesman, and subsequentlj', in 1839, en-
gaged in the manufacture of scales on his own
account. In 1841 he formed a partnership at York
with Emerson J. Case, who died in 1881, but the
high reputation achieved by the firm for the supe-
riority of its scales has induced Mr. Root to retain
the name of the old firm. Root & Case, under
which he still conducts the business. In the spring
of 1850 Mr. Root married Miss Marion, daughter o'f
Joseph Parkhurst, of Vermont, and to his nuptials
have been born two children : Jabez H. and Helen
M. Mr. Root is a member of the Presbyterian
Church and also of Mt. Zion Lodge I. O. O.'F.

PROF. GEORGE W. RUBY, Ph. D. (deceased),
was a native of Lower Windsor Township, York
County, and was born July 4, 1834, to Henry and



Catherine (Rathfon) Ruby. He was of German
descent. The parents of Dr. Ruby were also York
County born, and the family dates at least 100
years in this county. Dr. Ruby first attended school
at Lititz, Penn., then entered Marsliall College, at
Mercersburg, Penn., and from that college gradu-
ated with honors in the class of 1848. He first
taught school at Middletown, Md. In 1850 he came
to York, and was immediately elected principal of
the York County Academy. This position he filled
for thirty consecutive years. During his adminis-
tration more than 5,000 pupils received instruction
from him. Prof. Ruby was married, December 14,
1848, to Miss H. Mary Hassler, a native of Franklin
County, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Keiffer)
Hassler. The Hassler family came from Germany
many years ago and seitled in York County. To
Dr. and Mrs. Ruby were born thirteen children,
only four of whom survive their fatlier: Henry J.
John C, William H. and Samuel. Dr. Ruby was a
member of the German Reformed Church. His
life was one of much usefulness, and in his death,
which occurred November 16, 1880, the county lost
one of its greatly respected citizens and hon-
orable men. Mrs. Ruby is a member of the German
Reformed Church and an amiable Christian lady.

WALTER B. RUBY, detective and constable, is
a son of Joseph and Sarah (Barnhart) Ruby, was
born at Wrighlsville, Penn., October 20, 1844, is
one of fourteen children, and is of Scotch-German
descent. The father was born in Somerset County,
Penn., January 30, 1809, and died in York County,
in 1871; the mother was born in York Couny, in
1811. In 1845 the Ruby family came to York. Mr.
Ruby received a common school education, and at
fourteen years of age began for himself in life; for
some time he was news boy on the Northern Central
Railroad In August. 1863, he enlisted in Company
K, One Hundred and Thirtieth Pennsylvania Vol-
unteers, but on account of physical disability, was
discharged in December of the same year. In Jan-
uary, 1864, he enlisted again in the 'One Hundred
and Eighty-seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, Com-
pany B,and was discharged at the close of the war.
In 1874 he was given a position on the York police
force, where he continued until 1879, and has since
that lime been acting in his present capacity. In 1880
and 1881, he was made foreman of the Laurel Fire
Company. His marriage occurred in 1873, to Miss
Sarah J. Fishel, of York County; he is a Democrat,
and a member of the I. O. O. F., and I. O. H.

DANIEL A.RUPP, retired merchant, is a native
of York, Penn., born in 183.5, son of Daniel and
Lydia (Small) Rupp, and is of German descent. His
parents were both natives of York County; the
father was born in 1776, and the mother in 1786.
His paternal grandfather, Gotlieb Rupp, also a



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 168 of 218)