John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 169 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 169 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

native of York County, was a soldier in the war of
the Revolution. The Rupp family has been known
in thehistoryof this county for more than a century,
and has long been prominent ia the business circles
of York. Daniel A. Rupp was educated at the
York County Academy. In 1844, he, in partnership
with his brother, David Rupp, who died in 1871,
engaged in general merchandising in York County,
under the firm name of D. & D. A. Rupp. Mr. Rupp
continued liowever until 1868. when he retired from
active business life. He was married, in 1850, to
Miss Sarah Dietz, a native of York County, and
daughter of .Jacob Dietz, a prominent builder and
contractor of York, who was the principal contractor
of York County Court House. To his marriage
have been born two children; Harry and Anna V.
Mr. and Mrs. Rupp are members of the Presbyterian

DAVID RUPP, proprietor of the York Steam
Soap Works, is a native of York, and a son of Da-
vid and Henrietta (Harry) Rupp, natives of the


county and of German descent. David Rupp, Sr..
was for many years engaged in the dry goods trade
in Yorli, subsequently retired, and died in 187.5; his
wife is also deceased. They were the parents of
nine children, of whom two are living, our subject
and Lydia S., wife of H. S. Myers, of York. David
Rupp, our subject, in 1876 engaged with P. H.
Sprenkle and C. F. Ford, In the manufacture of
quercitron extract for dyeing, remaining with them
five years, and then conducting the business two
years alone. In 1879 he embarked in his present
enterprise in association with J. R. Busser, whose
father had originated the soap works. They were
in company together three years, when Mr. Rupp
took full charge, enlarged the works, and novi' has
a capacity of 100 boxes, or 75,000 pounds per day,
consisting of laundry and fine toilet soap, which is
principally sold in the State of Pennsylvania. Mr.
Rupp has" been a Director of the York County Na-
tional Bank, and is now a director of the Opera
House and West End Improvement Company. He
was married, in 1882, to Annie E. Riter, of Philadel-
phia, and is the father of two children: Michael R.
and David.

JOHN CHARLES SCHMIDT, chain manufac-
turer, is a native of Carlisle, Penn., and was born
March 14, 1859. His parents, Henry D. and Louisa
{Carson) Schmidt, were natives of York County.
Mr. Schmidt received superior educational advan-
tages, attending the schools of York, until 1868,
when his parents removed to St. Paul, Minn., where
his studies were continued until 1873, when the
family returned to York. He next entered the York
Collegiate Institute, and in 1875 accompanied his
father to Europe, and passed one year in the educa-
tional institutions of Stuttgart, Germany. Upon his
return to York, he entered the mercantile house of
P. A. and S. Small, where he continued until 1881.
He then embarked in business, establishing a chain
manufactory, in which field of enterprise he has
been very successful. He employs about fifty work-
men, and his works have a capacity of manufactur-
ing 50,000 pounds of chain daily, which is shipped
all over the United States, and exported to Cuba
and Mexico. The enterprising and progressive
spirit of Mr. Schmidt has added much to the business
interests of York. He is a director of the York Gas
Company, also a director of the York National Bank,
and for several years has been identified with St.
John's Episcopal Church.

York, York Co., Penn., and is a son of Emanuel
.and Mary (Laucks) Schroder, and of German and
Scotch origin. - His father wa«! born in York in
1803, and his mother in York County, 1809. Our
subject was educated in the York public schools
and the York Coimty Academy. He learned the
trade of cabinet-making. He was a member of the
Worth Infantry Military Company (Capt. Thomas
A. Zeigle), when that company was called in service
April 30, 1861. He entered the service; the com-
pany became Company A, Sixteenth Regiment, and
served until mustered out July 30, 1861. October
33, 1861, he enlisted in Company F, Fifth Maryland
Volunteers, for the term of three years, was ap-
pointed sergeant-major of the regiment, commis-
sioned second lieutenant of Company A, March 16.
1862, and first lieutenant of Company H same year
(December 10, 1863), and captain of Company I,
April 7, 1864. He took part in the historic engage-
ment between the "Monitor" and "Merrimac." was
at Antietamand Winchester, Va., June 13 to 15, 1863,
was taken prisoner of war on June 15, and was for
eighteen months in Southern prisons. He spent
eleven months in the famous Libby Prison at Rich-
mond, Va., was under fire of Union batteries in
Cliarleston, 8. C, was paroled at Columbia, S. C,
and sent to Camp Parole, Annapolis, Md., De-

cember 15, 1864, and on January 28, 1865, was
honorably mustered out of the service. His mar-
riage was solemnized July 1, 1878, to Miss
Kate Laucks, daughter of David Laucks, of Berks
County, Penn. In politics he is a Republican, is a
Mason and Knight Templar, and member of
I. O. O. F., also a member of Post 37, G.^A. R., has
been senior vice commander and post commander
and an aide-de-camp on the staff of the commander-
in-chief of the G. A. R. of the United States, and
director Western National Bank.

FREDERICK T. SCOTT, who for more than
thirty years, has been permanently identified with
the business interests of York, was born in Balti-
more County, Md., about fourteen miles from the
city, in 1824. His father, Thomas Scott, was a
native of North Ireland, and early in life immi-
grated to America, settling in New York, where he
was married to Margaret Lintz, a native of that State.
Removing to Maryland they remained there until
their deaths. Thomas Scott, the father, was one of
the contractors on the first railroad that led out
from the city of Baltimore. Four children were de-
scendants; John (now deceased, was for thirty years
an employe upon' the Northern Central Railroad;
for a long time a conductor; died at Hanover Junc-
tion); William (who died in 1869 at the same place,
was also a conductor upon the same railroad about
thirty years); Jane Lewis (the only daughter, died
in 1861, in the State of Ohio). The subject of this
sketch, at the age of eleven, went to Baltimore and
was employed for six years as a bar tender. He then
served an apprenticeship for over three years in the
maclune shops of the Baltimore & Susquehanna
Railroad (now Northern Central Railroad). Here
he became a skillful machinist, and, having thor-
oughly mastered his trade, remained for five years
as an employe. He then embarked in business for
himself, manufacturing cars and mill work, but his
enterprise was doomed to disaster. In 1850 he lost
heavily by fire, and in 1853. when employing
seventy five hands, he was forced to suspend, losing
every "dollar of his property on account of the
strike on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, which
forced, in thirty days, the price of iron from $55 to
iii!90 per ton. He then sought a new field for bus-
iness operations, and in 18.54 removed to Glen
Rock, this county, where he established the Glen
Rock Machine Shops, manufacturing, upon an
extensive scale, cars, paper-mill works, agricultural
implements and general machinerv. This enter-
prise added greatly to the material interests of the
town, and at times as many as forty-five hands
were employed in his works. In 1861, upon the
outbreak of the civil war, he sold out his interests
at Glen Rock at a great sacrifice, removed to York
and engaged with the Northern Central Railroad as
master machinist of the company's car and locomo-
tive shops. This responsible position he filled with
signal ability, and with eminent satisfaction, until
1875, when he resigned. Mr. Scott then again
embarked in business on his own account, and his
latter efforts have met with success. He has estab-
lished a large and lucrative trade in coal, lumber
and railroad ties in York, and, in connection is
manager of extensive granite quarries, at Golds-
boro, York Haven. Upon his farm, which consists
of 194 acres, are also large deposits of brown stone,
which is quarried to a large extent. He has a steam
saw-mill upon his farm, and is engaged in farming
in Codorus Township, where he owns a valuable,
finely improved farm, which, with valuable real
est ite in York, is the result of wise business enter-
prise. Mr. Scott was elected resident director of
the York County Alms-house, in 1873, and Insti-
tuted many valuable reform measures in the man-
agement of that institution. His independence of
action and prudent management won for him the




admiration of tlie tax-paying people of tlie entire
county, regardless of political preferences. He had
the land connected with the alms house surveyed
and, together with the other members of the board
of directors, introduced a new code, rules aud regu-
lations, setting forth the duties of the different
officers by whom the institution is governed, which
received the approval of the State board of public
charities, the grand jury and the court of common
pleas of the county. ' In the exercise of his public
duties Mr. Scott evinced the same prudent and
practical knowledge which has made his private
affairs eventually successful. For nearly forty years
Mr. Scott has been a member of the I. O. O. P. and
is at present a member of Harmony Lodge, No. 855.
and also of the encampment of the Grand Lodge of
Maryland. He is a member of York Lodge. No. 266,
of A. F. & A. M., and also of the order of K. of P.
He is president of the York Building and Loan
Association, president of tlie Star Building and
Loan Assoeiaiion, and a president of the Penn
Mutual Relief Association, of which he served
as president for a number of years. He is enter-
prising in all matters of moral advancement,
and the architect of his own fortunes. Mr. Scott
was united in marriage in Baltimore, February 10,
1848, with Miss Elizabeth A., daughter of Jacob and
Henrietta Pein Cook. They have been blessed with
seven children: Jacob F., Henrietta M., Emma L.
(deceased), Cecelia N. (deceased), Oscar W. (de-
ceased), Calvert C. and Winfield W. The family
are members ot Trinity Reformed Church of York.

JACOB SEACRIST, one of the leading con-
tractors and builders of York, was born in York
County, October 39, 1839, his parents being Henry
and Anna (Daley) Seacrist, boih of whom are na-
tives and citizens of the county. Jacob received
the educational advantages of the commoa schools
until he was fourteen years of age, when he was
engaged upon a farm, at which he was employed
until he attained his majority. He then was ap-
prenticed to learn the carpenter's trade with Samuel
Kohr, and havingmastered it, worked at this branch
of industry until 1863. Being desirous of extending
his busioess relations, he erected a planing-mill in
York, and began contracting and building on an
extensive scale. Having superior advantages, he
has taken a leading position among the builders of
York, particularly in school and church structures.
Mr. Seacristis still actively engaged in business, and
is a representative of the enterprising school of citi-
zens. He was united in marriage in July, 18.5.5,
with Miss Mary E. Kepler, of Baltimore. Eight
children have been born to them: Adam W., Annie
K., Jacob K., Mary E., George H., Lucy M., Oliver
V. and Harry E. Mr. Seacristis a member of the
I. O. O. F., K. of P., and with his wife a member of
the Episcopal Church.

AMBROSE H. SEIFFERT, general accountant
for the firm of Baugher, Kurtz & Stewart, was born
in Dover Township, York County, December 1,
1838, and is the second in a family of seven children
born to John and Elizabeth (Henise) Seiffert, of
German descent. The parents of Mr. Seiffert were
born in Dover Township, where they now reside.
His paternal grandfather was John Seiffert, a na-
tive of Pennsylvania, but in 1833 he moved to Ohio,
where he died. The boyhood of our subject was
spent on the farm. He was educated at the public
schools of Dover Township and York County Acad-
emy. In 1857 he began teaching school, at which
he continued until 1873, when he accepted his pres-
ent position. He was married in 1865 to Miss Mary
A. Daron, a native of Manchester Township, born
June 9, 1845, and daughter of George and Lydia
Daion. They have four children, viz. : John H..
George R., Franklin M. and Maggie M. Mr. Seif-
fert is an earnest supporter of the Democratic party.

In 188:,* he was elected to represent the Fifth Ward
in the borough council, and re-elected in 1885, and
upon the organization of the council was chosen as-
sistant chief burgess for the ensuing year. Mr. and
Mrs. Seiffert are members of the German Reformed

PROF. WILLIAM B.. SHELLEY, superintend-
ent of the public schools of York, was born on the
Mansion farm, which he now owns, on the Hill
Island in the Susquehanna River. He entered the
York County Academy when quite young, spent
several years as a student in that institution, and
there laid the foundation of a broad and liberal ed-
ucation. He began teaching in West Hempfield
Township, Lancaster County, and taught there two
years, three years in Columbia Borough, and three
years as assistant to Prof. George W. Ruby, in York
County Academy, during which time he completed
a full collegiate course, and received special native
instruction in French and German. Failing health
at that time prevented him from graduating at
Dickinson College. He went to the State of Mich-
igan, and for three years tilled the chair of Latin
and Greek, and two years the chair of mathematics,
in Albion College. While occupying these posi-
tions he was a diligent student, and became very
proficient in the branches which he taught. The
honorary degree of inaster of arts was conferred on
him by the Iowa Wesleyan University, and later he
received the full State certificate for the classical
course, an honor conferred upon him by the State
Normal School at Millersville, Penn. While spending
his summer vacation in York, during the year 1870,
he was unanimously elected the first superintend-
ent of schools of York, which position he has since
continuously held with great honor to himself and
great benefit to the educational interests of the
town. As an organizer of schools. Prof. Shelley
has few equals. Under his able administra-
tion, the public schools of York have regularly im-
proved and prospered. He is thoroughly familiar
with both the theory and the practice of his chosen
profession, and has illustrated by his practical work
both the science and the art of teaching. He
also takes an active interest in church and Sunday-
school work.

GEORGE E. SHERWOOD, ex-representative
and justice of the peace, was born in Virginia,
August 17, 1843, and is a son of Lewis and Minnie
(Koch) Sherwood, both natives of Germany. His
father came to this country as a political refugee in
1834. settling at Hampton, Elizabeth Co., Va.,
where he bought alarge plantation, upon which he
resided until 18.55, when he removed to Baltimore.
Md. Our subject was educated at Baltimore, and
upon the breaking out of the late civil war, he
responded to the call for volunteers, and enlisted
as orderly sergeant in the First Virginia Scouts,
under Gen. Rosecrans; served likewise in Sanno's
Scouts, Twenty-sixth Pennsylvania Infantry, and
Ninth Pennsylvania Cavalry, and served until the
close of the war. He rose from the ranks to captain,
and participated in the following battles : Win-
chester, Red House, Morefield, Gettysburg (where'
he was taken prisoner), Nashville, Savannah and
Lister's Ferry. He received his discharge at New-
burn, N. C, June 11, 1865, and on the 16th day of
July of the same year came to York, where he has
since been a resident. Mr. Sherwood, upon his
arrival in York, assumed the editorship of the York
German Gazette, one of the leading Democratic
papers in the county, filling the position with
marked ability. In 1873 he was elected town clerk
of York, and filled that position until 1881. He
was elected lo represent his district in the State
legislature in 1876, and was re-elected in 1878, and
attained high rank as a representative. In 1883 he
was elected justice of the peace in the Fourth Ward


of the borough of York, and is still administering
the duties of that office in an efficient manner. He
is a politician of influence, and has been a leading
member of tlie I. O. O. F. for many years ; is Dis-
trict Deputy Grand Master, and D. D. "Grand Patri-
arch, treasurer of Humane Lodge, and of Mount
Vernon Encampment, and a member of the order
of Red Men, Knights of Pythias, Union Brother-
hood, G. A. R., and Knights of the Mystic Chain.
He was the founder of the York Public Library, of
which he is president : was trustee of the Rescue
Fire Company, and agent for P. B. Wright & Sons
and other steamship lines. Mr. Sherwood has been
twice married; his union with Sarah A., daughter
of Maj. R. J. Winterode, of Williarasport. Penn.,
occurred July 6. 1866. She died April 20, 1875,
leaving three children, two having died. December

26, 1876, he was united to Lucy A., daughter of
Peter and Charlotte Fliekinger, of Hanover, Penn.;
to this union there have been born five children,
three of whom are deceased.

LEWIS A. SHIVE was born in York, December

27, 1818, and is a son of John and Sallie (Biipp)
Shive, The father of Mr. Shive was one of seven
children, and was born in 1798 and died in 1877,
and his mother was born in 1794 and died in 1858.
His grandfather, Ludwick Shive, was born in York,
in 1761. The Shive family came originally from
Germany. At fourteen years of age the subject of
this sketch began learning the cabinet-maker's trade
under his father. In 1841 he began the furniture
business in York, and has since been engaged in
that business. He was married in 1841, to Miss
Harriet Hamm, of Dover Township, and daughter
of Samuel Hamm. Ten children were born to this
union, nix of whom are living, viz.: Philip, Walter,
Charles, Lewis, Sallie and 'Samuel. Mrs. Shive
died in 1873. Mr. Shive is a memlier of the Luth-
eran Church, and for m.iny years ha? taken much
interest in church affairs.

W. H. SITLER, attorney at law, ex-protbono-
tary of York County, is a native of Lower Windsor
Township, was born January 34, 1849, and is a son
of Jacob and Elizabeth (Burg) Sitler. His paternal
grandfather was Abraham Si'tler. an early settler of
York County. Two brotliers, John and Matthias,
on account of religious persecution, were banished
from Germany and came to America, and from one
of these our subject is descended. Our subject re-
ceived his education at the public schools of York
County. In 1875 he began the study of law, and
was admitted to the bar, December 17, 1877. Polit-
ically he is a Democrat, and for many years has
taken an active part in politics. In 1881 lie was
elected prothonotary of York County, and most
efficiently he filled the office for three years. Prior
to his election to this office he was deputy prothon-
otary several term-. His marriage occurred in
1878, to Miss Celia T. Erury, a "native of York
County, who has borne him two children ; Mable O.
and Horace J. Mrs. Sitler is a mem')er of the
Reformed Church.

DAVID SMALL was born in York, May 3, 1812,
and was the son of Petir Small, a prominent citizen
and master-builder, who died when David Small
was twelve years of age, leaving five cliildren;
Daniel, John, David, Margaret (who became the
first wife of Henry Welsh, Esq.,) and a half-sister
named Sarah, intermarried with Lewis Templeiu,
now living in Ohio, and the sole survivor of the
family At the tender age in which we find him at
his father's death, he was taken by Mr. Welsh, his
brother-in-law, and initiated into the mysteries of
printing in the office of the York Gnzette then pub-
lished by King & Welsh ("next door below the Ger-
man Reformed Church, Main Street") the latter be-
coming a partner in its publication in May. 1824.
After the manner of the enterprising news boys of

I the present day, he was not slow to take advantaiff
of opportunities as they presented themselves ai
that early date, and took pride in relating how hr
had taken part in contributing his professional skill
to the demands of the citizens on the occasion of
the visit of Gen. La Fayette to York, in 1825, of
which he had a distinct recollection to the last.
Mr. Welsh, in 1829, disposed of his share of Umj
Gazette to George A. Barnitz, Esq., and subse-
quently became proprietor of the Pennsylvania
lieperter, at Harrisburg, and was elected Slate
printer. Mr. Small left York with Mr. Welsh and
I became foreman of the State printing. Owing to
I bad health, however, he was compelled to leave
Harrisburg, and on the 1st of April. 1836, became
part owner of the Oiuette, witli Hon. Adam J.
Glossbreuner, continuing uninterruptedly in the
proprietorship until his death, nearly half a centu-
ry, lu his salutatory to the readers of the Onzette,
on assuming his share in the proprietorship, he
tersely concluded: "The undersigned will not
trouble the reader with a long string of promises —
believing in the old adage that 'large promisers are
generally small performers. ' He would much rather
be judged by his acts lb, in li.v hi^ ]iruiiii.-(-i in act,"
and this peculiar annoum .mh m ai ili> Ik winning
of his business career will h. iv,>,.jnj/r(| ,i, , harac-
teristic of his whole lifr, lirlnic Mr. .'-^niall left
Harrisburg, he became united in marriage with Miss
Adeline Sprigraan, daughter of Solomon Sprigmau.
bookbinder, of that city, the ceremony having beeu
performed by Rev. A, H. Lochman, D. D., of York,
then a resident of Harrisburg. In his wedded life
he was assisted with good counsel and the encour-
agement and comfort of a helpmeet in every emer-
gency, rearing a family of three boys, whose con-
duct in life has caused' their parents but little jar
in the family circle. In 1839 Mr. Small became
postmaster at York for the .iiie.\pircd term of Dan-
iel Small, his brother, under President Van Buren,
and was succeeded bj' George Upp, Jr., under Pres-
ident Tyler, in 1841. Mr. Small was tendered a
continuance of the postmastership under Mr. Tyler,
but having contributed nothing to the elevation of
that gentleman to tlie presidency, declined to be-
come a supporter and bcneflciary of his administra-
tion. In 1845, however, he was appointed to the
same position by President Polk, again by President
Pierce, and was continued by Mr. Buchanan. The
appointment of editors as postmasters has been
tabooed, generally, by the government in the early
days, but in the person of Mr. Small the custom
was broken, and under the persuasive eloquence of
prominent Pennsylvania politicians, the Hon. Amos
Randall, postmaster general under President Polk,
made the way clear for many prominent and intel-
ligent officials, who have sprung from the editorial
staff, with great benefit to the service, and wiihout
detriment to the interests of professional brethren,
who, it was feared, would suffer in the prompt dis-
patch of the mails, by narrow-minded competitor's.
In 1861 he was elected director of the poor, and
served four terms successively. In 1862 he was
elected chief burgess of York, and continued for
nine successive terms, and in 1876 he was a presi-
dential elector on the Tilden ticket. He was a
director of the York National Bank about thirty
years, and of the Farmers' Insurance Company
about ten years. As a printer Mr. Small stood well
in his profession. He was practical, and in his
early days one of the fast compositors of southern
Pennsylvania. As an employer he was kind, not
exacting, dignified, but approachable, and solicitous
for his employes, and alwaj's commanded their
respect and good-will. Llis standing in the Demo-
cratic party in Y'ork County, while in health, was
at the fore-front, and while not a brilliant leader,
was a wise counsellor, and much of the grand Dem-


ocralic majority in the county is owing lo his wis-
dom and tact; and, although prominent in politics,
he never permitted liimself to be namtd before a
county convention for office exxept for director of
the poor, in whicli he was solely governed by a de-
sire to contribute to the -welare oif the unfortunate
class who come within the ministration of that of- !
tice. and it is to his credit that his memory is still :
retained in gratitude by many of those who partic- i

Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 169 of 218)