John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 172 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 172 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and his efforts were finally rewarded with success.
In the year 1839 he became one of the editors and
proprietors of the York Democratic Press, by the
purchase of a half-interest in the paper, and con-
tinued as such until he became finally the sole pro>-
prietor by purchasing his partner's interest, and has
conducted the paper in his own name and interest
ever since. The Press espoused the principles of
the Depiocratic party, and as an exponent of those
principles, and a disseminator of news, has proved!
a very acceptable paper to the people; and its editor,
by hard work and the practice of the most rigid
economy, has made it a success financially. (For a
full history of the Democratic Press see article
under that head in this volume.) In the year 1843^
April 17, he was married to Margaret Gilberthorp,
daughter of the late William Gilberthorp, deceased.
He has reared a family of six children (two sons andi
four daughters), one of which, the eldest, is Edward;
Stuck, the editor of the York Age. Oliver Stuck
has held several important positions of honor and
trust. In November, 1852, he was appointed State
agent, on the Philadelphia & Columbia Railroad,
by the board of canal commissioners, of PennsylF.
vania, the State, at that time, owning what is nowc
known as the Pennsylvania Railroad. This posi-
tion he held until August, 1857 — when the roadi
passed out of the hands of the State into- the pos-
session of the present owners by purchase— with,
credit to himself and an unimpeachable record as a-
faithful and efficient officer. During his connection
with the railroad he still devoted all his spare mo-
ments to editing his newspaper, and upon retiring
from the road gave his entire attention to the news-
paper business. He kept the Press fully abreast of;
the times, and succeeded in placing it beside the
most influential weeklies of the State. He has air-
ways taken an active part in the poll tics" of the-
cotinty, and was the champion of the reform wing
of the Democracy, denouncing the methods of those-
who did not consider holding" office a public trust,
but simply for their own pecuniary advantage.
Against all politicians of this class lie wielded his
pen, denouncing the extravagance and corruption
which disgraced the records of office-holders and,
reflected upon the fame of the Democratic party.
Much of the credit for the healthy slate of affairs in
this county is due lo his efforts, through the Press,
to bring about this great and wholesome change,
and to the sterling gentlemen who rallied aroun4
his paper in its work for reform. In June, 1880, he-
was nominated by his party as their candidate foi -
register of wills of York County, and ran on the.
same ticket with Gen. Hancock for president, re -
ceiving the highest vote of any candidate upon the-
ticket. He entered upon the duties of his offlee ia
January. 1881, and filled it acceptablyto the people,
and at the end of his term was complimented' by the.
auditor-general of Pennsylvania, for the e.xcellent
manner in which the affairs of the office were ad -
ministered.

-WILLIAM STUCK, steward of the York Coun-
ty Alms-house, was born in Springfield Township,
York County, January 19, 1826; is a son of Charles
and Rebecca (Snyder) Stuck, is the fifth in a family-
of fourteen children, and is of German deseent!
His father was born in York in 1793, and his moth-!
er in the same county in 1797. His father was a-
soldier in the war of 1812. His grandfather was
one of the first settlers of York, and carried on dis-
tilling. Our subject received a common school
education, and at fourteen years of age began life-
for himself. In 1843 he began learning tlie carpen-,
ter's trade, and in 1850 he began for himself, and
thus continued uptil 1872, when, on account ofiU'



YORK BOROUGH.



huallli, he was forced to abaadon his occupation. In
1875 he was elected steward of the alms-house,
which position he continues to hold, and under his
stewardship the house and farm have been most
successfully and satisfactorily managed. He was
married May 30, 1849, to Miss Sarah Gilberihorpe,
a native of York, born in 1826. He is a Democrat,
aod has been a member of the borough council. He
was made a Mason in 1861, and a member of the
I. O. O. F. in 1847. He is an elder in the German
Reformed Church, of which Mrs. Stuck is also a
member.

-A. DUNCAN THOMPSON, clerk of the com-
missioners of York County, was born in Hopewell
Township, April 30, 1842, to Archibald and Rosana
(Morrison) Thompson, and is of Scotch-Irish de-
scent. The parents of Mr. Thompson were also
born in Hopewell Township; the father in 1807, and
the mother in 1831. His paternal grandfather was
Alexander Thompson, a native of York County, and
«i soldier in the Revolutionary war and of 1812. The
boyhood of our subject was spent on the farm,
•where he attended the public schools in the winter
and labored on the farm in the summer. In 1862
and in 1868 he attended the Stewardstowu Acad-
emy, and subsequently taught school. In 1867
he began farming for himself, and so continued
until 1881, when he came to York. In 1866 Mr.
Thompson was married to Miss Annie E. Trout, a
native of Hopewell Township, and daughter of
-Samuel and Catherine Trout. To this union have
been born three children: Mary A., Margaret A.
•and James S. In 1868 Mr. Thompson was elected
assessor of Hopewell Township; in 1879 he was
elected school director, and in 1881 was elected
•clerk of the commissioners, re-elected in 1883,
which position he now occupies. He is a most ef-
ficient officer, and one that has the confidence of the
-people of York County. Mr. and Mrs. Thompson
are members of the Presbyterian Church.

JOHN J. VANDERSLOOT, a stanch business
man Of York, is a native of the county, and was
born November 24, 1836. His father, Rev. Freder-
ick W. Vandersloot, was a minister of the Reformed
Church, and for over fifty years a faithful and con-
scientious Christian worker in York County. Our
subject received a good education, having had the
advantages of the schools of York and the York
County_ Academy. He began his mercantile career
-when sixteen years of age in York, where he was
employed for seven years. He was next employed by
C. E. Morgan & Company, of Philadelphia, where he
remained until 1861, when he returned to York and
began business for himself. He has, by energy
and application, established a leading and extended
trade in dry goods, notions, queens ware, etc., and
is a citizen of the progressive type. Mr. Vander-
sloot was married October 12, 1869, to Miss Leanora
V. Jaeger, of Philadelphia. They have four chil-
dren: Catherine A., Mary A., Sarah C. and Will-
iamj. The family are members of the Reformed
Church, in which Mr. Vandersloot has taken a
leading part, having been a deacon and elder, and a
-teacher in the Sabbath-school for over twenty years.

DR. EDWARD F. WAGNER, son of Ernst
■and Barbara (Fahs) Wagner, was born June 26,
1860, in York, Penn., where he was reared. He
attended the public schools of York, passed ex-
aminations for the high school, but left York and
went to Northampton County, attended one year
Nazareth Hall Cadet School, at Nazareth, Penn.,
then went to the Moravian Theological Seminary,
at Bethlehem, Penn. (His course here was in the
classical department. In 1878 he returned to York
and began reading medicine with Dr. J. W. Kerr.
After three and one-half years he went to Jefferson
Medical College, at Philadelphia, and graduated
rom tliis institution March 29, 183-t, and at once



began the practice of medicine, at York, Penn.
Dr. Wagner gi-aduated with honorable mention for
his thesis.

W. H. AVAGNER, M. D., v/as born in Dover
Township, December 26, 1853, is a son of Joseph
and Leviua (Lauer) Wagner, and is of German
origin. His father was born in Adams County,
Penn., in 1824, and his mother in York County, in
1829. Our subject was reared a farmer, and at
eighteen years of age began teaching school, and
taught seven years. In 1878 he began the study of
medicine in the olfice of Dr. J. R. Spangler, after-
ward attended lectures at Jefferson Medical Col-
lege, at Philadelphia, and graduated in 1881. He
then began the practice of his profession in York,
He was married in 1883, to Miss Mattie J. Stuart,
a native of Philadelphia, and a daughter of James
and Elizabeth Stuart. The Doctor and Mrs. W.
are members of the Lutheran Church, and in poli-
tics he is a Republicau.

C. B. WALLACE was born in Chester County,
Penn., October 14, 1819. and is the son of Thomas
and Mary (Jackson) Wallace, natives respectively
of Chester County, Penn., and Maryland. The
elder Wallace was a farmer and a justice of the
peace of Chester County, and there he and wife
died. C. B. Wallace was reared a farmer, but re-
ceived a good education, and for a time was engaged
in teaching school. In 1846 he commenced reading
law with Thaddeus Stevens, of Lancaster. In 1847
he came to York, taught school in the county, and
read law under Judge Durkee. In February, 1849,
he was admitted to the York County bar, and has
ever since been in active and successful practice.
He has been identified with all progressive measures,
and for six years has been a school director of York
Borough. February 6, 1848, he married Frances A.
Levergood, daughter of Jacob and Fanny Lever-
good, of Wrightsville, and to this union have been
born three children, viz. ; Mary A. (wife of Edward
M. Vandersloot, of York), Clayton J. (who is en-
gaged In the wholesale boot and shoe trade with
Mr. Vandersloot), and Louisa L. Mrs. Wallace and
family are members of the Pi'esbyterian Church.

WILLIAM WALLACE, a retired business man.
is a native of Hopewell Township, born in 1822, son
of James and Catherine (Gemmil) Wallace. His
parents are both natives of this county ; the father
born in 1789 and the mother in 1800. The family is
of Scotch-Irish descent. Mr. Wallace began busi-
ness running a woolen-mill and manufacturing
woolen goods, which he continued until 1845. He
then engaged in the mercantile business at Free-
land, Baltimore Co., Md., where he remained until
1874, when he returned to his native township and
there continued merchandising. Mr. Wallace was
one of the projectors of the York & Peach Bottom
Railway, and in 1874 removed to York and gave his
entire attention to this enterprise, acting as secretary
and treasurer. This position he held until 1882,
when, on account of failing health, he was compelled
to resign. He was married, in 1846, to Jennet Gem-
mil, of Chanceford Township, this county. To
them were born three children : James W., Mary A.
and Katie A. Mrs. Wallace died September 11,
1881, a member of the United Presbyterian Church.
Mr. Wallace is a Republican. He is a member of
the Masonic fraternity and of the United Presby-
terian Church.

CAPT. H. B. WALTMAN. foreman of the
machine department at A. B. Farquhar's, is a
native of Mount Joy, Lancaster Co., Penn., was
born November 25, 1838, is ason of Henry and Helena
(Bupp)Waltman, and is of German descent. His
father was born in 1798, and his mother in 1801.
The former died in 1848 and the latter in 1875,
Our subject was educated at the public schools of
Mount Joy. In August, 1861, he enlisted in Com-



BIOGKAPHICAL SKETCHES.



pany 6, Ninth Pennsylvania Cavalry. He was
commissioned second lieutenant November 9, 1861 ;
first lieutenant August 8, 1863, and captain in 1864.
He participated in the battles of Clarksville, Tenn.,
Crab Orchard, Chickamauga, Dandridge, Lafayette
Grove, Waynesborough, Raleigh and many other
minor e'ngagements. He was honorably discharged
at Lexington, N. C, in July, 1865. Prior to this
service he had served a four-years' apprentice-
ship at the machinist's trade, at Mount Joy, Penn.
In 1866 he went to Harrisburg, and for two years
was in the employ of W. O. Hickok, and then for
more than one year had charge of Wilson Bros'.
Works, at the same place ; he then went to Wheat-
land. Penn., and subsequently to Erie, Penn., and
was for nearly three years iu the employ of the
Erie, Philadelphia & Reading Railway, and then
came- to York, where he has since resided. In 1877
he took charge of the machine department at A. B.
Farquhar's, and in this capacity still continues. He
was married, in 1876, to Miss Sarah J. Harmon, of
Harford County, Md., a daughter of Michael Har-
mon. They have two children: Daisy H. and
Harry J. Mr. Waltman is a Republican, a member
of the G. A. R., and 'during 1883 was commander
of Sedgewick Post No. 37.

NEVIN M. WANNER, attorney at law, wag
born at Washingtonville, Ohio, May 14, 18.50. He
entered Heidelberg College, at Tiffin, Ohio, in 1866,
and after remaining there two years went to Frank-
iin and Marshall College at Lancaster, Penn., from
which institution he graduated in 1870. In that
year he entered the law department of the Univer-
sity of Pennsylvania, where he remained two years.
He read law under Erastus H. Weiser, of York,
Penn., and Gen. B. F. Fisher, of Philadelphia,
Penn., and was admitted to the bar at York, August
38, 1873, since which time he has been in act-
ive practice, and is now one of the leading lawyers
of York Conniy. He is a Democrat, and one of the
leaders of that party in this county. He was mar-
ried, in 1883, to Amelia D. Croll, a native of York
County, and daughter of John R. Croll, deceased.
Mr. Wanner is a member of the Reformed Church,
and Mrs. Wanner of Ihe Lutheran Church.

PROF. ATREUS WANNER, principal of the
York High School, is a son of Rev. Aaron and Re-
becca (Miller) Wanner, and was born in Washing-
tonville, Ohio, September 36, 18.53. His parents and
grandparents were natives of Pennsylvania. He
graduated at Franklin and Marshall College, of Lan-
caster. Penn., in 1873, and in the spring of 1876,
.ifter having in the meantime taught school else-
where, accepted the position of assistant principal
of the York High School. In 1880 he was elected
principal of the same school, which position he has
since filled with marked ability. He is one of the
most successful educators in this part of Pennsyl-
vania. He was married, June 31, 1883, to Miss
Clara J. Eckert, daughter of Henry and Elizabeth
C. Eckert, of Gordonville, Lancaster Co., Penn.

JOHN B. WANTZ, son of Lewis W. and Lyddie
(Bentzel) Wantz. was born March 19, 1836. in Hei-
delburg Township, and in his youth divided his time
between the common schools and farm work. His
first work was in the flour-mill, after which he be-
gan his trade as carpenter with Rogers & Wilt, of
Dover. After learning his trade he worked at .jour-
ney-work two years, when the civil war of 1861
broke out. when he began work for the United
States Government at Aquia Creek, Va., also at
Washington, D. C. He then returned home and
superintended an ore mine for a year, and afterward
began building and contracting in York, Penn.
August 33, 1868, our subject married Susanna Buh-
ler. of Manchester Township, daughter of Andrew
and Sarah (Hake) Buhler. Six children were born
to this union; Lizzie E., Emerson H. (deceased).



Charles (deceased), Sadie Ellen, Carrie May (de~
ceased) and Louisa A. A. Oursubject'sgrandfather.
Frederick Wantz, came from Alsace, Germany, ta
York County, when a young man. and settled irh
Heidelberg Township, where our subject's grand-
father, Philip Wantz, was born, and died in his
eighty-third year. Mr. Wantz has been one of the
leading builders of York for many years, having
erected many of the finest residences in the western
part of the borough.

CHRISTIAN WARNER, son of Conrad and
Barbara Warner, was born in Germany, May, 7,
1847, and came to this country in 1851, with his par-
ents. He enlisted August 11, 1864, in the Twa
Hundredth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers,
which formed a part of the First Brigade, Third Di-
vision, Ninth Army Corps, of the Army of the Po-
tomac. He was with his regiment when they par-
ticipated in the battles of Butler's Front, Fort
Steadman, and the battles before Petersburg on the-
1st, 3d and 3d of April, 1865, and at the surrender
of Lee at Appomattox. He was mustered out of
service at Alexandria, Va., May 30, 1865. In 1867
he began working at his trade of blacksmith, which
he has followed since. Mr. Warner has been in-
spector of elections for his ward for six years, and
was a member of the K. of M. C. (now disbanded),
and for four years was a trustee of the Laurel Fire
Company. He is an active Republican, and was an
officer of the Young Men's Republican Club in
1880, and of the P. K. in 1884. Mr. Warner was
married March 5. 1868, lo Sarah Jane Smith, daugh-
ter of Henry and Sarah (Roller) Smith. They have
had born to them four children: Willie (deceased)^
Emma L., Lillie May and Harry Elmer.

GEORGE WEHRLY is a native of Lancaster
County, Penn., where he was born in 1837. His
father, Francis Wehrly, was a native of Germany;,
his mother, whose maiden name was Barbara Breia-
ner, was born in Lancaster County. His father was.
by trade a weaver, subsequently engaging in the
mercantile business. He removed to York County
in 1845, settling in Strinestown, Conewago Town-
ship, where he resided until his death, which oc-
curred in 1878; the mother died in 1881. They were
the parents of five children, our subject being thi>
third child. He attended the common schools, and
at the age of sixteen became a teacher, and taught
seven years continuously in Lancaster County. He
then embarked in the mercantile business at Strines-
town with his brother Daniel, continuing four
years. In 18.54 he came lo York and for one year
was assistant recorder of the county. Removing to
Emigsville he was an assistant of John Emig in the
commission and forwarding business for tliree
years. In 1857 he was elected recorder of York
County, and served a three-years' term. His next
business venture was in the wholesale liquor trade,
in which he was engaged twelve years in Lancaster
and York Counties. Returning to York he became
proprietor of the Ginder House, and in 1883, be as-
sumed the management of the Pennsylvania House,
where he is located at this writing. Mr. Wehrly is
a deservedly popular host and citizen, and is welt-
known and esteemed all over the county. He has
served as councilman in Lancaster seven years; was
postmaster at Emigsville and Strinestown, and in
all has been progressive and honorable Jlr.
Wehrly was married, in 1849, to Miss Elizabeth A.
Glatfelter. of Lancaster County They have four
children living; Mary E. (wife of William P. Frai-
ley. of York). Filie Gracey (of Philadelphia). Ida
K. (wife of E. D. Bentzell, of York), and Anna C.
Mr. Wehrly is one of the leading Democrats of
York Countv.

NATHANIEL WEIGLE. a leading contractor
and builder, was born in York County. April 13,
1833, and is the son of Martin and Charlotte (Light-



54



YORK BOROUGH.



<ner) Weigle, natives of York County. Mr. Weigle
attended the common schools at York and subse-
■quently attended the York County Academy one
session. He tlien apprenticed himself to learn the
■carpenter trade under the instruction of Jacob
Gotwalt, of York; after finishing his trade he
worked at journey-work until 1860. He then began
business for himself; his first prominent contract .
was for the building of the present Presbyterian
Church; he subsequently contracted for and built '
the German Reformed Church, the Presbyterian
Ohapel, St. Paul's Lutheran Church and Chapel, re-
modeled Dr. Lochman's Church, built the York i
Opera House, and many of the finest and most
prominent private dwellings in York. In connec-
'tion with his contracting he has established a large
■and well-appointed planing-mill, furnished with all
the machinery for preparing all kinds of church. \
school and building material. Mr. Weigle has ex-
tended his business relations to many of the sur-
rounding towns and cities, and has achieved a rep- :
Utation "which is liighly creditable. He is a worthy
citizen, a member of the Masonic fraternity, and of
the I. 0. 0. P. He has been prominently identified
with the Lutheran Church and Sunday-school, for
many years having served as deacon and elder. Mr.
Weigle has been twice married. He was first united
with Miss Catherine Gotwalt, of York Count}', in
-January, 1847, she died in 1864. Three children
are living; Charlotte E., Henrietta B. and Annie
K. In January, 1874, Mr. Weigle was married to
Mrs. Mary J. Smyser, daughter of Jacob Weiser, of
York.

THE WEISER FAMILY. On a proclamation
of Queen Anne, of England, in 1708, owing to
internal dissensions in Germany, about 4,000 Ger- ;
mans were transported to Hn'lland in 1709, and
thence to England. They encamped near London,
when, in the following year. Gov. Robert Hunter,
of New York, who was then in England, and about
■to sail for his own country, invited with him about
■3,000 of these Germans or Palatines to the town of
New York, and they were soon afterward located
■on what was called the Livingstone District of that
State, and turned their attention to agriculture. A
■chief of the Mohawk Indians, who had about this
-lime visited England, presented to Queen Anue a
iract .of his land in Schoharie, N. Y., and in 171.3
about 1.50 families were transferred through the
wilderness to that place. Among these emigrants
was the father of Conrad Weiser, with his wife and
seven sons and daughters. He is the great ancestor
of the Weiser family in this country. His Christian
name is not for a certainty known. From one of
his .sons, the Weisers, of York County, are de-
scended. The colony at Schoharie did not prosper.
They commenced improving lands and building
houses, and labored until 1723, when they were
partly dispersed, owing to defects in their titles to
lands. They then began to search for a new home,
a,nd began wending their course in a southeasterly
■direction, till they struck the Susquehanna. Here
they made canoes, in which they floated down the
river to the mouth of the Swatara, and thence to
the fertile spot in Berks County, along the Tulpe-
hocken Creek, where t hey sei tied among the Indians,
in the fall of 1823. The father of Conrad Weiser
having become familiar with the Mohawk language,
was an interpreter, aad remained at Schoharie until
1729, when, with his wife and four children, all
that were then living, he also came to the Tulpe-
hocken. It was liis design to now devote all his
attention to farming, but on many noted occasions
his services as an interpreter were demanded by the
authorities of Pennsylvania. He was a man of
great benevolence. It was through him the Mora-
vian people were made so attentive to Indian
natives. He died and was buried in Berks County.



Conrad Weiser, his eldest son, was a justice under
the king, and also an Indian interpreter. In 1736
he was sent to treat with the Si.\- Nations of New
York concerning a war that was to break out be-
tween them and the Indians of Virginia. He was
visited, August 14, 17.52, by Count ZingendorfE, at
Tulpehocken. who here met a numerous embassy of
sacliems of the Six Nations. The Count preached
the gospel to the Indians. At the conclusion of his
remarks to them he said concerning Weiser: "This
is a man whom God hath sent, both to the Indians
and to the white people, to make known his will
unto them." For a quarter of a century he attend-
ed all the important Indian treaties. In connection
with the governor of Pennsylvania, Benjamin
Franklin and several other persons, in 17.53, he was
appointed one of the trustees of the public schools,
which were established through the efforts of Rev.
Michael Schlatter; one of these schools was, about
this year, started in York. During the French and
Indiaij war he was lieutenant-colonel of a battalion
of Pennsylvania soldiers. After an eventful and
very useful life he died among his friends at Wor-
melsdorf, Berks Count}% on the 13th of July, 1"60,
at the age of sixty-four. His remains were interred
and still rest in an historic old graveyard near that
town. He left seven children, who, by marriage,
were related to the Muhlenbergs.

Samuel Weiser, a descendant of the Tulpe-
hocken settlement, came to York in 1780, and
immediately commenced the business of a hatter in
a building on the present site of Jacob Wilt's jew-
elry store on East Market Street. He continued
this business until 1822, but opened a dry goods
store in 1808 on the corner still occupied by his
\ descendants. During the war of 1812 he employed
about fifty workmen making hats, and sent wagon
loads of them every Monday morning to Baltimore.



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 172 of 218)