John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 173 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 173 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


He died in 18.34, aged seventy-four years, and his
remains were interred in the graveyard adjoining
Christ's Lutheran Church. They have since been
removed to Prospect Hill Cemetery. He was mar-
ried to Eve Phfleager. and had eight children: Sam-
uel, Jacob, Charles, Daniel, Catlierine, Eliza. Mar-
garet and Cassandra. Samuel, the eldest son, suc-
ceeded his father in the manufacturing of hats until
1840, when he bought a farm one-half mile south of
York, and died there in 1856. Augustus, his eldest
son, died on the farm; Albert is living in Preston,
Minn., engaged in the jewelry and drug business;
jEmilius is located in Decorah, Iowa, in the drug
business; Louisa was married to .lohn Ensminger;
she is now dead; Alexander died unmarried;
Catherine, married to John C. Rupert; Margaret,
married to Josiah Poorbaugh, of Berrin. Somerset
Co., Penn.; Annie, married to David Ziegler, of
York; Florence, now dead, was married to Marl in
Bender, of York; Helen, unmarried, living in York.
Jacob, second son of Samuel Weiser, Sr., went
into the dry goods business in 1818 with his brother
Charles, which he continued until 1836, when he
engaged in the lumber trade with his brother, Dan-
iel P. Weiser. He was director in the York County
Bank, York Water Company, and York & Sus-
quehanna Turnpike Company, each for many years.
He died in 1874 at the advanced age of about
eighty-three years. He left two children: Franklin
S., who succeeded him in the lumber business, and
Jane, married first to Jacob Smyser (deceased), and
now to Nathaniel Weigle.

Daniel, founh son of Samuel Weiser, Sr., was a
tanner and currier for many years, and afterward
formed a partnership with his brother Jacob in the
lumber business. He died about 18.55, leaving three
sons: Gates J. Weiser (lately deceased), David
Weiser and Oliver P. Weiser. Charles Weiser,
father of John A. and Charles S. Weiser, who are
prominently identified with the business interests of



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



York, was born in 1796, and was the Junior member
of the dry goods firm of J. & C. Weiser, commenc-
ing business in 1818 and continuing until 1846. In
1856 be founded the banking-house in his own
name. In January, 1860, his son, Charles S. Weiser,
became a member of the firm. In January, 1867,
the present iirm, Weiser, Son & Carl, was formed.
For a number of j'ears he was a director in the
York Bank, and president of the York & Gettys-
burg and York & Susquehanna Turnpike Compa-
nies. He was a member of Christ's Lutheran
Church under Dr. Schmucker, and one of the
founders of St. Paul's Lutheran Church. He died
in 1867, aged seventy-one years. He lived for
twenty-tive years on the property now owned by
Jere Carl, Esq. He was married to Anna A.,
daughter of Gen. Jacob Spangler, and left nine
children: John A.. Erastus H., Horace, Charles S.,
George (who died in infancy), Josephine (married
to Dr. Pentz), Theodosia E. (unmarried)v Arabella
(now deceased), Amelia (maiTied to M. S. Green),
Adaline (married to Jere Carl). John A. Weiser,
eldest son of Charles Weiser, was born July 31,
1824. He received his educatiou in York County
Academy. He began his mercantile career in 1838
as a clerk in his father's store, and remained in the
same position until 1846, when he succeeded his
father in the business. This he continued until
1883, when his two eldest sons succeeded him. The
present firm name is H. P. Weiser & Bro. The
same store, in the same location, has been continued
in the Weiser name since its organization in 1808.
Mr. Weiser has been e.xceptionally prosperous as a
merchant, and his name is very familiarly known in
York County. Possessing rare business qualifica-
tions, he has lieen prominently connected with other
interests in the town and county. He was one of
ihe founders of, and is still one of the directors of,
the Farmers' National Bank, and was for many
years a director of the York County Bank. He has
been president of the York & Gettysburg Turnpike
Company since 1881; treasurer of the York Gas
Company since 1850; manager and treasurer of the
York & Susquehanna Turnpike Company since
1867. He was married first to Miss Georgiana
Eichelberger (now deceased) in 1851. Of this mar-
riage there was one son — Harry — born in 1852, now
senior member of the mercantile firm of H. P.
Weiser & Bro. In 1859 he was maiTied to Miss
Mary Jane Up p. The children by this marriage are
Bertha, born in 1860; George U., in 1861; P. Sler-
rett, in 1864; Louisa, in 1865, and Annie S., in 1867.
He resides in his delightfully situated home at 310
East Market Street, surrounded by all the comforts
and conveniences of life.

Erastus H. Weiser, second son of Charles Weiser,
was born in 1836. He received his preparatory edu-
cation at York County Academy and Pennsylvania
College at Gettysburg. He afterward entered Yale
College, and graduated in the class of 1849; read
law with John G Campbell, Esq., and had a lucra-
tive practice in this profession before the York
Court until the time of his death in 1871. He was
married, in 1853. to Miss Annie Franklin, daughter
of Walter Franklin, Esq., of York, who is now also
dead. They had two sons; William F. Weiser, in
the banking firm of Weiser, Son & Carl, and
Charles, a student in Collegiate Institute He was
an earnest and devoted worker, and an elder in the
Presbyterian Church at York, and a teacher in the
Sunday-school.

Horace S. was educated at Yale, and read law
with Judge Fisher. He practiced at the York bar
for a few years, then removed to Decorah. Iowa,
and founded the Winneshiek County Bank in 18.54,
and conducted the same successfully until the time
of his death in 1875.

Charles S. Weiser was born in 1.S38, and educated



in the schools of York and in York County
Academy. He began the banking business as a
partner with his father in I860, and is now the
senior member of the firm of Weiser, Son & Carl,
which bank is described elsewhere in this book. For
several years he was a member of the firm of Weiser
& Bender, engaged in the lumber business in Center
County, Penn. The following list of positions of
trust and honor held by him gives conclusive evi-
dence of his business capacity and integrity: treas-
urer of the York Water Company, of the York
County Academy, of the York Hospital and Dis-
pensary, of the Society for the Prevention of
Cruelty to Animals, of the York County Mutual
Fire Insurance Company, of the Board of Home
Missions of the General Synod of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in the United States, of the Theo-
logical Seminary at Gettysburg, of the Charles A.
Morris fund of $7,000 for St. Paul's Lutheran
Church, and vice-president of the Orphan's Home
and director in the York & Susquehanna Turnpike
Company. Mr. Weiser was married, in 1866, lo
Miss Isadora Brown, daughter of the late William
Brown, Esq., of York. They had one child —
Charles, who died in infancy. He and his wife are
members of the St. Paul's Lutheran Church, and
also teaches in the Sunday-school. He is a member
of the Masonic fraternity, and resides in a comfort-
able and convenient home at 225 East Market Street.

FRANKLIN S. WEISiiR, a promment manu-
facturer of York, was born in the county Septem-
ber 25, 1825, and a son of Jacob and Sarah Weiser.
His latiier being engaged in the mercantile busi-
ness, our subject was early instilled with business
ideas, being an assistant of his father. He received
a good education, having the supplementary ad-
vantage of the York County Academy. At the age
of eighteen he began an apprenticeship to learn the
carpenter's trade, and subsequently followed that
trade for five years in Baltimore, Md. Returning
to York he formed an association with Jacob AVei-
ser in the coal and lumber business, which contin-
ued until 1860, when he became the sole owner. He
has since continued in this business, and has also
become a manufacturer of cigar and paper boxes.
Mr. Weiser is a progressive businessman; has been
a director of the York County Bank and of the
York & Chanceford Turnpike Company, and also
prominent in the Lutheran Church. Mr. Weiser
was married, March 25, 1853, to Barbara S., daugh-
ter of Jacob Stable, of Manchester Township.
They have had born to them six children: Robert
S., deceased; Sarah K., deceased: Jacob S., de-
ceased; Harvy K., William H. and Eugene F.

GATES B. WEISER was born in York in 1852,
and is a son of Gates J. and Elmira (Brown) Weiser,
the former of whom was born in 1824, and died in
1883. Gates J. was educated at the York County
Academy. When a young man he engaged in the
lumber business with his father, Daniel ^^'eiser, and
after the death of the latter formed a partnership
with John M. Brown. Retiring from business for
a few years, he again engaged in the lumber busi-
ness with Small, IBender & Co., as one of the firm.
This firm was afterward changed to Bender & Wei-
ser. Subsequently they established a business in
Center County, Penn., the fimi being known as
Weiser & Bender. In 1875 he returned from Center
County to York, Penn., and retired from business,
selling his interest in the firm of Bender & Weiser
to his two sons, James M. and Gates B., and known
as Weiser Bros. After the death of James M. in
1876, G. B. bought his inter-est, and continued under
the same firm name until 1883. G. B. Weiser was
married, in 1884, to Miss Minnie M. Blummer, a na-
tive of Philadelphia. They have one child — Isadore
E. He now resides in a beautiful residence at Pros-
pect Hill. In politics Mr. Weiser is ;in Independent.



56



YORK BOROUGH.



JOHN H. WELLENSIEK. whip manufacturer
of York, was born February 10. 1825, and is tlie son
of Herman and Catherine Wellensiek, natives of
Germany. The subject of this sl^etch was born in
Germany. He remained at home and assisted his
father on the farm until he was sixteen years of age.
He received the advantages of a common school
education, and immigrated to this country in the year
1845, locating at York, and engaged as an appren-
tice to learn the whip manufacturing business. He
spent three ana one-half years learning that trade.
He then learned the carpenter trade under the in-
struction of Lewis Kuehn, of York, and after fin-
ishing his trade he went to Philadelphia and en-
gaged as carpenter and builder. In a very short
time he acquired a reputation that placed him
among the leading builders of the city. He remained
in Philadelphia until 1875. when he then returned
to York and engaged in the whip manufacturing
business. He leased a piece of ground for a term
of years, and built a large brick building, put in
the necessary machinery, and in a short time es-
tablished quite an extensive business, having at the
present several hands employed, Mr. Wellensiek
was married, November 25, 1860, to Miss Mary,
daughter of Gottleib and Barbara Brietling, natives
of Germany. To this union were born six children:
Katie. Albert, Anna, John, Mamie and Harry. Mr.
Wellensiek is a member of the Lutheran Church,
also a member of Walker Lodge No. 306, I. O. O.
P., of Germantown, Philadelphia, Penn.

PETER WELLER, marble dealer, was born in
Germany in November, 1824. His father, Jacob,
came to this country while Peter was quite young,
and located in Spring Garden Township, where he
took up a tract of land. Peter assisted his father
on the farm, and in the meantime attended the
common school. He remained on the farm with
his father till he was twenty years of age, when he
learned theshoe-making trade, and followed it about
three years. About the year 1878 he formed a co-
partnership with Edward Evans, and engaged in
the marble business at York. The firm of Weller
& Evans subsequently by mutual consent dissolved
partnership, and Mr. Weller has continued the busi-
ness in his own name. Mr. Weller married, in
April. 1850. Miss Matilda, daughter of George
Loucks, of York. Mr. Weller is a member of the
Pen" Mutual Relief Association, and has for sev-
eral years been a member of the Lutheran Church.

ALBERT A. WELSH was born in York No-
vember 13, 1838, and is a son of George and Sarah
(Wilt) Welsh, natives of the same borough. He re-
ceived a common school and academical education,
and then engaged at butchering with his father,
which business he has followed ever since, being
now one of the oldest butchers in York, and at the
present time his place of business is No. 131^ Bast
Philadelphia Street, York, Penn. January 29, 1860,
he married Miss Catherine, daughter of John and
Magdalena Lutman, of York, and to this union
have been horn twelve children. But of twelve,
only seven children. Thomas Ivin. George Lincoln,
John Lutman, Mary Magdaleua, Charles Augustus,
Carrie Verginnia and Albert, are living at the pres-
ent time. Mr. Welsh is a member of the Con-
ewago Tribe, No. 37, I. O. R. M., and has served
as deacon of the Reformed Church, as well
as assistant superintendent and superintendent of
the Heidelburg Sabbath-school, of York.

DAVID H. WELSH is the son of Charles and
Eli7,a Welsh, natives of York County, and was born
in York Borough August 13, 1845, He was edu-
cated at the common schools, and afterward learned
coachsmithing, which trade he followed for about
five years after finishing his apprenticeship. He
then engaged In the ready-made clothing, gents'
furnishing and merchant tailoring business, in



which he has achieved an enviable reputation,
doing first-class work and carrying a line of ready-
made and piece goods. September 17, 1878, he
married Miss Frances K., daughter of Col. J. A.
Stable, of York. To this union five children have
been born, viz.: Edward S. (deceased), James A.,
Fannie M., David H. (deceased) and Nellie V. Mr.
Welsh is a member of Mt, Zion Lodge, I. O. O. F.,
and also of the Reformed Church.

T. KIRK AVHITE, special agent and adju.ster
for the Phoenix Assurance Company, of London,
was born in Cecil County, Md.. September 18, 1826,
son of Abner and Esther (Kirk) White, and of
fourteen children (eleven living) he is the ninth.
His father was born in England, and came to
America at about twent_y years of age, and settled
in Chester County, Penn, Here the mother of our
subject was born February 4, 1792, and died in
Morgan County, Ohio, at the advanced age of
eighty-four years. His father died in Lancaster
County in 1847. At twelve years of age subject
began life for himself. For some time he worked
on the farm, and then learned the machinist's trade,
and while thus employed he sustained physical in-
juries from which he has never recovered. In 1845
he entered Strasburg Academy, at Lancaster, Penn.,
where. he remained two years, and then for a num-
ber of years taught school, and was one of the
leaders in establishing the first district institute in
Lancaster County, Penn,, in 1851. In 1855 Mr.
White came to York, and established what was
known as the Pennsylvania Commercial College,
which he conducted until the beginning of the late
war. In 1861 he was elected justice of the peace
and held the office until 1865, when he began the
insurance business. In 1872 he was made special
agent of the Home, of New York, and with that

■ company remained until 1882, when he was given
his present position. His marriage was solemnized
April 17, 1849, to Miss Susan J. Smith, daughter of
William and Nancy Smith, of Lancaster County.
They have had seven children, five living, as fol-
lows; Anna M.. Walter B., George C, Charles S.
and Harrv C. Mr. White is a Democrat, and a
member of the I. O. O. F.

PETER WIEST, dealer in dry goods and no-
tions, is a native of .lackson Township, York Co.,
Penn.. born in 1818, son of John and Elizabeth
(Eyster) Wiest, being the fourth of eight children.
His father was born in what was then Paradise
Township in 1787, and died in 1837. His mother
was born in 1790, and died in 1833. The great-
grandfather of our subject was a native of Germany,
and immiffrated to America about 1730. The Wiest
family has been identified with the interests of York
County for more than 100 years. At eighteen years

j of age Mr. W. came to York, and for some years
attended the York County Academy. In 1840 he
began the general merchandising at Dover, Penn.,
where he continued for more than a year, and then
in the spring of 1843 returned to York, and has
since been continually engaged in the mercantile*
life. For almost half a century he has been one of
the successful and reliable business men of York.
Mr. Wiest was married, in 1844, to Miss Catherine
Lenhart, a native of Dover Township. They have
children as follows: Edward F., Emma B., George
L. and Harry S. The sons are now engaged in the
dry goods business with their father. Formerly Mr.
W. was a Whig, but of late years he has been inde-
pendent in politics. Mr. and Mrs. Wiest are mem-
bers of the Reformed Church, having joined as
earlv as 1836.

WILLIAM T. WILLIAMS was born in York
County .luly 31, 1815, and is a son of Ezekiel and
Elizabeth Williams, both of whom were natives of

i Berks County, Penn. He was educated at the com-
mon schools, and assisted upon his father's farm un-



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



til he was twenty-four years of age. He then
learned the weaver's trade, at which he was engaged
for five years. He subsequently engaged in school-
teaching, which he continued for nine years, learn-
ing (in the meantime) surveying. He was elected
justice of the peace in 1858, in Washington Town-
ship, and served two years. In 1870 he removed to
York, where he has since resided. In 1875 he was
elected justice of the peace for the Fifth Ward, and
is still administering the duties of a magistrate.
Mr. Williams was united in marriage with Miss
Catherine Gross, daughter of Peter and Catherine
Gross, both natives of York County. They have
six children; David G., Levi G, William F., Peter
G, Henry L. and Mandilla. The family are mem-
bers of the Lutheran Church, of which Mr. Will-
iams has been an elder, and for many years promi-
nent in the Sabbath-school.

PROF. D. G. WILLIAMS, super-
mtendent of schools for York Coun-
ty, is a native of Dover Township,
where he was born in 1840. He is of
Welsh and German descent, and son
of William T. and Catherine (Gross)
Williams, both natives of York
County, and parents of six children,
our subject being the eldest; Levi,
Mandilla, Franklin W. (a resident
of Iowa), Peter and Lewis (both of
whom are living in Ohio). Prof.
Williams received meager educa-
tional advantages in his youth, hav-
ing access only to tlie common
schools, and eleven weeks in a coun-
ty normal. The education which
he has since obtained has been
acquired by liberal reading and con- .\

stant studious application. He has
been a teacher nearly all of his life;
the few years which he devoted to
business convinced him that his
duty in life was in the field of edu-
cation, and as an educator he has
been signally successful. He com-
menced teaching early in life, and
was thus engaged for thirteen con-
secutive terms in York County. He
then went to Indiana, where he
taught one term, and then engaged
in the mercantile business. In 1867
he returned to York, and for about
five years was engaged in business.
He then resumed teaching, and con-
tinued until he was elected to the
office which he now holds. Prior
to his election he was for four years
connected with the public schools of
York Borough during which period
he was a member of a prominent
literary association. He assumed the .

duties of his office in 1878, succeeding W. H. Kam,
and in the administration of the arduous and re-
sponsible labors of this position, he has developed
executive attributes of superior order. Prof. Will-
iams is an earnest and indefatigable worker, and
under his supervision the schools of the county have
maintained a high degree of excellence. In 1868
Prof Williams was united in marriage with Miss
Saraii Ellen Myers, of Dover Township They have
had seven children: William P., Ida M., Lillie IX,
Charlie M., Harry L.. Elmer L. and Maud E.
Prof. Williams and wife are members ot the l,u-
theran Church.

HON" DAVID F. WILLIAMS (deceased) was
born in York, January 28, 1833; he was educated at
York County Academy, and from 1844 to 185.3 was
in partnership with Oliver Stuck^
proprietor of the York Democratic Press



the years 1848, 1849 and 1851, he represented York
County in the State General Assembly. In 1858,
he went to Pittsburgh and became a partner in the
publication of the Pittsburgh Gazette, which he con-
ducted two years, and then went to Philadelphia,
and frpm 1860 until 1866 held a position in the cus-
tom house. In 1869 he was appointed Assessor of
Internal Revenue for what was then the Fifteenth
District of Pennsylvania, and continued in the rev-
enue service until 1876. He was married in 1853 to
Miss Anna M. Smyser, a native of York, and to him
were born four children. He died October 14, 1881.
For many years he was president of the York
County Bank.

JACOB A. WILT, jeweler, was born in York in
1843, and is the son of Peter E. and Eliza M. (Wise-
nail) Wilt. He is the youngest in a family of two




editor and
During



children, and is of German descent ; was educated at
the public schools of York and York Academy, and
in 1860 began serving a four-years' apprenticeship
at the jewelers' trade, under the direction of C. A.
Keyworth. in 1864 he went to Washington and re-
mained some time, and then returned to York and
continued his vocation, but subsequently formed a
partnership in the jewelry business with his old
employers. In 1881 Mr. Wilt began business for
himself, and still continues in the jewelry business,
and is one of the most successful jewelry merchants
in York. Our subject's marriage was solemnized
March 28, 1866, to Miss Kate-C. Hagger, a native of
Baltimore, Md., and daughter of John W. and La-
vinia Hagger. Mr. Wilt is a Democrat and cast his
first presidential vote for McClellan. He is a mem-
ber of the L O. O. F., K. of P., and R. M.

GEORGE WASHINGTON WIjSTEHOLD, dealer



58



YORK BOROUGH.



in fine groceries, canned fruits, etc., was born in
York County in 1848, son of Joshua and Rufina (Ilges)
Winehold. He is of German descent and a repre-
sentative of one of the oldest families of Yorli Coun-
t.v. His father was born in York Township in 1813,
and his mother in the "lower end" in 1817. The
pati-rnal grandfather of our subject was George
Winehold, also a native of York Township, born in
1786. The father of Mr Winehold died in 18S3.
When about five years old, Mr. Winehold removed
with his parents to York, where he was educated at
the public schools of York and York County Acad-
emy. In 1866 he began business for himself. The
systematic order in which everything in his store is
arranged is unexcelled in York. For some years
Mr. Winehold has taken much interest in the Laurel
Fire Company, of which he was formerly secretary,
and now for two years has held the office of vice-
president. He is a Democrat and has represented
the First and Sixth Wards in the borough council.
The mother of Mr. Winehold now resides with him.

GEORGE WOGAN, deceased, was a native of
Manchester Township, York Co.. Penn., was born
April 14, 1800, and was a son of George and Re-
becca (Lowe) Wogan. He is the youngest in a
family of seven children, and of Scotch-Irish de-
scent. He remained at home and worked on the
farm for his father until 1825. when he began life
for himself. At the death of his father, he inher-
ited the old Wogau homestead in Manchester Town-
ship, and continued farming until 1861, when he
retired from active life, and removed to York,
where he lived until his death, which occurred
April 20, 1878. His marriage was solemnized De-
cember 16, 1834, 10 Miss Margaret Hay, a native of
York County, and a daughter of John Hay, the
elder. Politically Mr. Wogan was a Republican.
He was one of the leading and greatly respected
citizens of York County. Mrs. Wogan is a repre-
sentative of one of the old families of York County.
Her father died in 1866. and her mother two years
previous. To Mr. and Mrs. Wogan were born three
children, viz. : Rebecca L. (deceased), John H. and
Anna H.

EMANUEL YESSLER, a member of the firm of
Menough & Yessler, contractors and builders, ,was
born July 4. 1836, in Dover Township, York County,
and is a son of Jacob and Susan (Harbaugh) Yess-
ler, farmers of Dover Township. Emanuel was an
assistant upon the farm, attending the common
schools, until he became eighteen years of age.
He then became an apprentice to Jacob Gotwald,



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 173 of 218)