John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 174 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 174 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


learning, the carpenter trade. He remained with
Mr. Gotwald for several years. In 1863 he went to
Washington, D. C, and was in the employ of the
government about three years, working at his
trade. Returning to York he was, for fifteen years,
in the employ of Mr. Weigle. subsequently becom-
ing associated with James L. Menough, in the
planing-mill and general contracting business. The
business of Menough & Yessler has been prosperous
and their trade extended. Mr. Yessler was married
December 24, 1866, to Miss Mary, daughter of John
and Mary Miller, natives of the county. Two chil-
dren have been born to them: Harry E. and Jennie
M. Mr. and Mrs. Yessler are members of the Lu-
theran Church, of which he has been an active
member for several years, serving as deacon, elder,
and treasurer of the Sabbath-school.

PETER F. YOST, son of Abraham and Maria
(Feiser) Yost, was born in York Township. January
29, 1829. on the farm now owned and occupied by
Frank Deitz. His father removed to Dover Town-
ship, when our subject was four years old. Subject
was reared a farmer. February 20, 1851, he rriar-
ried Sarah Bott, daughter of Peter and Elizabeth
(Smyser) Bott, of West Manchester Township. One
child has blessed this union— Louisa Jane, deceased



wife of Alexander Smyser; one child. Clayton A.
Smyser, was born to them. Mr. Yost, for" a short
time was in the firm of Menough t% Yost, builders
and carpenters. The handsome residence he now
occupies he built in 1880, and also the adjoining
residence for his sisters in 1878. Our subject's
father was born May 5, 1792, and died August 31,
1855, aged sixty-three years, three months and
twenty-six days. His mother died September 23,
1859, aged sixty-eight years, five months and eight-
een days. Subject's sister, Rachel Yost, died June
11, 18.54, aged thirty-eight years, seven months and
fifteen days. Mr. Yost moved to York from Dover
Township in 1876. The Yost family was among the
earliest settlers of York Township.

CHARLES YOST was reared on his father's
farm in York Township, and worked on the farm
and attended school when a boy. He married
Sarah Lower, of Dover Township, a union pro-
ductive of four childreu: Eliza, William, Sarah
Ann (deceased) and Ellen Jane. Subject, by close
attention to business and unliring industry, has
secured for himself a handsome competence. He
owns one of the best farms in Manchester Town-
ship, also one in Newberry Township, and a fine
residence in the borough of York, beside other
property.

HIRAM YOUNG. The Youngs' family history
in this country dates as far back as 1735 and 1740.
About that time Hiram Young's great-grandfather.
Alexander Shaeffer, landed in America, and located
on the mountains, which then formed a part of
Lancaster, but which are now included within the
limits of Lebanon County. A short time after his
arrival here he purchased about 1,200 acres of land
in the valley, and founded what is now known as
Shaeffertown. His wife, Anna E. Engle, bore him
six children. One of them, Henry ShaefCer, was a
captain in the army of the Revolution: was after-
ward associate judge of the court at Ilarrisburg, and
at the time of his death, which occurred in 1805,
was an acting justice of the peace. His daughter,
Maria, married Frederick Oberlin, and their daugh-
ter, Sarah, became the wife of Samuel Young, of
Lancaster County. Two sons and one daughter
were the fruit of this marriage, among whom was
Hiram Young, the subject of this sketch. Hiram
Young was born in Schaefferstown, Lebanon Coun-
ty, May 14, 1830. Some time after this event his par-
ents moved to Lancaster County, where they re-
mained a few years. His father having died in
Lancaster County, his molher afterward returned to
her parents in Schaefferstown. Up to his fifteenth
year Mr. Y'oung attended the public schools of that
place, and being studiou.sly inclined, mastered the
different branches then taught. About this time
he went to Lancaster and served four years with
Judge Emanuel Shaeffer as an apprentice to the
saddler's trade. In the month of February, 1850, he
obtained a position in John Gish's book store, and
remained with him until he secured a more lucrative
one in the large establishment of Judd & Murray,
with whom he acted as employe for several years.
After leaving Judd & Murray he entered the Lan-
caster High School with a view of preparing him-
self for a regular collegiate course, but after some
time, finding his means limited and difficulties in
the way, abandoned the underlaking, and returned
to the book business. In this he obtained employ-
ment in the publishing house of Uriah Hunt & Son,
of Philadelphia, and afterward with Lippincott,
Grambo & Co, now J. B. Lippincott & Co.
After several years' experience in Pbiladelphia
he returned to Lancaster City, and purchased
a small book store, entering into partnership
with John Shaeffer. About two years afterward a
consolidation was made with the 'firm of Murray &
Stokes, under the firm name of Murray, Y^oung &



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



Co., Mr. Stokes retiring. After several years in |
the booli business in Lancaster. Mr. Young retired, 1
and in the year 1860 came to Yorlj, and purchased
the booli store of B. Franlilin Spangler. now de- I
ceased, and founded the firm of Pierce & Young.
In 1862, after largely increasing the business, lie
sold out his interest lo Mr. Pierce, and opened an-
other store on West Market Street, and in 186.5 re-
moved to the building No. 10, East Market Street,
now occupied by him for the publication of the
Evening Dispatch, the Weekly Dispatch, and the
True Democrat. June 7, 1864, the first number of
the True Democrat, now Weekly Dispatch, was is-
sued by him, it being a four-page, eight-column pa-
per, advocating the Union cause and Republican
principles, and taking a prominent part in further-
ing the local interests of the town and county. The
True Democrat rapidly became one of the leading
weekly papers of the countj^, and soon obtained a
large circulation. Neither labor nor expense was
spared by Mr. Young to make his paper acceptable
in all families without distinction of party. May
39, 1876, the first number of the Evening Dispatch
was issued. A strong assistant editorial and re-
portorial force was employed, and the news of the
day, both local and telegrapliic, was carefully gath-
ered together and published. This evening paper
met with a hearty welcome and liberal patronage
from the public, and has always been and now is
one of the most widely read dailies in York Coun-
ty. In his position as publisher of these two pa-
pers, Mr. Young took a lively Interest, and devoted
his best energies -and personal attention to the de-
tails of the business. In this his former experience
in the book publishing business was a most valu-
able aid in his vfork. Mr. Young has always
taken an active part in the politics of the county,
and with pen and voice labored for the Union cause
and the triumph of Republican principles. In 1881
he was prominently named as a candidate for the
office of State treasurer, and in this received the
endorsement of leading papers of the common-
wealth. He has many warm friends, but like oth-
ers occupying similar positions, some enemies.
Where he is best known he is recognized as
a stanch and sincere friend, and as such deserves
the support not only of his own party but the public
generally. Mr. Young was married September 3,
1857, to 'Miss Mary E. Shriener, of Columbia. Lan-
caster County. Five sons were born to them, one
of whom diedin infancy; Edward, Charles, William
and John, tlie survivors, all learned the printing
business, and have been of great assistance to their
father in the conduct of his large and extensive
newspaper business. He has had an active busi-
ness life, a large portion of which has been spent as
a bookseller and publisher, and in his present edi-
torial position he takes pride in advancing meas-
ures for the public good, both for his immediate
constituency and the countrj' at large. He now has
the satisfaction of having two well-established and
successful newspapers, with extended and growing
infiuence, and can look back upon a most success-
ful business experience, and forward to still greater
triumph in the future.

EDWARD D. ZIEGLER is a son of Rev. Jacob
Ziegler, of the borough of York. His father is a
niiuisler of the Reformed Church; he is still living
and has reached the ripe age of seventy-five years.
His mother is Anna Mary Danner, of York, and is
still living. Mr. Ziegler is a graduate of Pennsyl-
vania College, located at Gettysburg, Penn., having
graduated from that institution of learning in the
year 1865. Immediately upon leaving college he
was employed by Dr. George W. Ruby, as assistant
teacher in the York County Academy,in the borough
of York. Ax this place he was employed in teach-
ing for a period of three years, imparting instruction



in the Latin language, in algebra, geometry, mathe-
matics and English grammar. During this time he
prosecuted the study of the law under N. L. Fisher,
Esq., and was admitted to the York County bar in
November, 1868. He was a candidate for and
elected to the office of clerk of the county com-
missioners soon after his admission to the bar. In
this position he served during one term of two
years. At the expiration of his term of office he
was honored, by the county commissioners of. the
county of York, by a unanimous election as their
counsel, and was reappointed for a period of three
years. In June, 1880, he was a candidate before
the Democratic county convention for the nomina-
tion for district attorney of the county. He was
nominated by the convention and elected by the
people at the election following, and served in the
office for three years. He continued in the practice
of his profession alone until 1885, when he associ-
ated himself in the practice of the law with Frank
Geise and Joseph R. Strawbridge, Esqs. From
boyhood he was fond of politics, and there has been
no campaign, county, State or national, in which
he has not prominently figured. He has several
times been elected delegate to State conventions of
the Democratic partj', and at the Allentown State
convention, in the spring of 1884, was chosen as the
delegate of the Nineteenth Congressional District to
represent it in the national Democratic convention,
which met in Chicago in July of the same year, and
nominated Cleveland and Hendricks for president
and vice-president of the United States.



HANOVER BOROUGH AND PENN
TOWNSHIP.



HORACE ALLEMAN, M. D.,was born in Lan-
caster County, in 1824; is a son of John and Eliza-
beth (Mockert) AUeman. and is of German origin.
His father was born in Dauphin County, Penn., in
1793, and his mother in Lancaster County, Penn., in
1797. His father, when a young man, settled in
Lancaster County, where he died in 1866; his wife
having died one year previous. The Alleman family
was one of the early families of Dauphin County,
and among the prominent people. Dr. Alleman was
educated at Emaus Institute in Dauphin County,
and at Pennsylvania College at Gettysburg. He
began the study of medicine, in 1846, in the office
of Dr. Nathaniel Watson, of Lancaster County,
and afterward graduated at the Pennsylvania Med-
ical College, Philadelphia. In 1848 he began prac-
tice at Elizabethtown, Lancaster County, remained
there some time, and then removed to Safe Harbor,
liancaster County, and in 1859 came to Hanover;
here he has since remained. He was married, in
1847, to Miss Rebecca B. Winnemore, a native of
Lancaster County. They have six children. He is
Republican, and'he and wife are members of the
Lutheran Church. He is one of the leading physi-
cians of York County.

JACOB E. BAIR, cigar manufacturer, of Han-
over, was born at that pfece July 18, 1831. He is a
son of John and Julia (Snyder) Bair. of York Coun-
ty. His father was a tanner by trade, and followed
it through life. Jacob E. received a good common
school education, and assisted his father in the tan-
ning business until 18'18, when he began the manu-
facture of cigars at Hanover, which occupation he
has followed since. He owns quite an extensive
cigar manufactory, and is assisted by his sons. Most



60



HANOVER BOROUGH AND PENN TOWNSHIP.



of the time he employs quite a number of hands.
July 3, 1855, he was married to Catherine Grim,
daughter of Henry D. and Elizabeth Grim, of Vir-
ginia, and has had eight children: Julia A., John
H.. Cecilia andEdmonia (twins, the latter deceased),
John J. C, Howard E., Jacob H. and Robert L.
Mr. and Mrs. Bair are members of the Reformed
Church.

G. MILTON BAIR was born in Hanover in
1850, is a son of Edward and Deliah (daughter of
George and Mary Gitt), and is of German origin.
His parents were born in Hanover, the father in
1810, and the mother in 1813. His paternal grand-
father was John Bair, who was also born in Hanover.
His father, a saddler, died December 13, 1883. Our
subject was educated at the public schools of Han-
over, and Dickison College, at Carlisle, Penn., and
graduated from the latter in 1867. In 1868 he en-
gaged in the mercantile business, continued for nine
years, and then engaged in the life, fire and accident
insurance business, and in this still continues. He
was married, in 1871, to Miss Emma C. Welsh,
daughter of G. W. Welsh, a prominent politician of
York County. They have two children: Edward
W. and Ray W. He is a Republican, and he and
wife are members of the Lutheran Church.

FABER BANGE. D. D. S., was born June 9,
18.54, in Hanover: is a son of Dr. W. H. and Sarah
(Paber) Bange, and is of German descent. His
father was born in Hanover, in 1819, and his mother
in 1823. Dr. William H. Bange, father of subject,
was the second son of the late John Bange, who
was one of the old settlers of Hanover. Dr. William
H. Bange was piominently connected with the town
of Hanover for forty years, was one of the first
members of Emanuel's Reformed Church, and took
great interest in the Sabbath -school: he was a mem-
ber of the I. O. O. P., and a man of sterling worth.
His death took place in 1883. The mother of sub-
ject died in 1868. Subject was reared in Hanover,
and received a common school education. At six-
teen he began the study of dentistry under his
father, and subsequently began the practice, which
he still continues. He is most successful, and for
over ten years has been practicing in Hanover. He
is a Republican, a member of the I. O. 0. P., and of
Emanuel Reformed Church.

ALBERT P. BARKER, proprietor of the Oil-
ier House, Hanover, was born January 20, 1841,
near Littlestown, Penn. His parents, Joseph and
Cassia (Diehl) Barker, natives of Chester and York
Counties, were married in York County and removed
10 Adams County, where all their children, fourteen
in number, were born, of whom only six are now
living. Mr. Barker acquired his education in the
public schools of his native town. His studies were
pursued with a view to the medical profession, but
he abandoned it at the age of seventeen, at the re-
quest of his father. He clerked in mercantile estab-
lishments and hotels in Pennsylvania and Maryland,
and during the last war he volunteered as a nurse to
attend the sick and wounded at the second battle of
Bull Run, had charge of a ward in general hospital,
but was several times detailed forfield hospital duty.
He was in the service about four months. He was
married at Uniontown, Md., January 30, 1864, to
Miss Ellen R. Carlisle, a native of Maryland. Their
only child died in infancy. He embarked in the
mercantile business in Littlestown in 1864, and fol-
lowed it fourteen years. He then retired from the
business and for about four years traded in cattle, etc.
In March. 1883, he bought out the Diller House, which
he refitted and refurnished and converted into a first-
class hotel. His father died in Littlestown, Penn., at
the age of sixty-nine years, leaving an estate of
several thousand dollars, of which he has charge as
administrator. His mother is still living at the old
homestead, aged about seventy-one years. Mr.



Barker is a member of the I. O. O. P. and of the
order of Red Men. He had beeu an active Republi-
can for many years of his life, and was postmaster
at Littlestown from 1864 to 1878.

ALBERT M. BARNITZ (deceased) was a native
of York; was born, August 25, 1835, son of Jacob and
Catherine (Wagner) Barnitz, and was of German
extraction. His education was gained at York
public schools, and York County Academy. He
subsequently read law under Hon" Thomas E. Coch-
ran. On account of ill health he was compelled to
abandon his studies and sometime later engaged in
the jewelry business, which he continued until the
death of his father, wlim he tuok charge of the
brewing business which liml licin i-^iahlished by his
father. Later he resumci! llir ji w.lry business,aud
in this enterprise coutiuucd until his death. He
married Miss Martha Wirt, a daughter of the late
Jacob and Amelia Wirt, of Hanover, June 12, 1862;
to this union were born two children: Jacob Percy
and Emma Wirt. Politically Mr. Barnitz is a Re-
publican, and for many years manifested much
interest in political affairs. He was a member of
the Episcopal Church. His death occurred Novem-
ber 29, 1869. His remains now repose in Prospect
Hill Cemetery, at York. He was a man of pro-
nounced merit, and ever wielded an energetic and
enterprising influence. In 1869 Mrs. Barnitz re-
moved to Hanover, where she has since resided.
She is also a member of the Episcopal Church, and
a most amiable woman.

S. T. BASTIAN, real estate, insurance, collec-
tion and general agent of Hanover, Penn., was born
in Allentown, Penn., in 1858, and is the son of Jonas
and Eliza (Smith) Bastian, one of the oldest fami-
lies in Lehigh County. He was educated at the
public schools, spent a few years at a collegiate in-
stitute at Hackettstown, N. J., and then at the
Allentown Business College, from which he gradu-
ated. He then engaged with the Allentown Daily
Bulletin as a reporter for one year; then he- clerked
a few months in a dry goods store, and in 1878 he
came to Hanover and engaged as clerk for Grove &
Carver, dealers in dry goods, etc., with whom he
remained about three years and a half. In 1882 he
formed a partnership with J. H. Flickinger. in the
real estate and fire insurance business, from which
Mr. Flickinger, retired in the spring of 1883, since
wh^n Mr. Bastian has successfully conducted the
business and built up a good reputation. He is also
advertising agent for the Norlhern Pacific Railroad
Company for southern Pennsylvania; is correspond-
ent for several daily papers, and is generally con-
sidered a very enterprising young man, who will
meet with success in everything he undertakes.

J. H. BITTINGER, M. D., of Hanover, is a
lineal descendant in the generation of Adam Bit-
tinger (Biedinger) who, in 1736, emigrated from
Alsace, Germany, to America, landed in Philadel-
phia, and settled first in Lancaster County, and in
1753 purchased a tract of land three miles north-
west of Hanover. Adam Bittinger died in 1768,
leaving a widow (Sabina) and children as follows:
Nicholas, Henr}', Michael, Peter, Marrilas, George,
Adam, Christian, Frederick and Eva. Nicholas
Bittinger, the eldest son, was born in Alsace, grew
to manhood in America, and, as early as 1743, was
one of the members of the council of the "Evan-
gelical Lutheran Church of the Conewago," now
St. Matthew's, of Hanover. For a time, when the
church was without a pastor,he was licensed by the
synod to read sermons from the pulpit and con-
duct other religious services. In 1775 he became a
member of the Committee of Safety for York
County, and served during a part of the Revolution.
He became captain of a company of associators,
and entered the military service. He was very
successful in the accumulation of property, and at



BIOGRArHlCAL SKETCHES.



the time of his death, on May 3, 1804, owned sev-
eral good farms within six miles of Hanover, and
a number of choice tracts of land in Franklin
County. His remains were interred at Abbotts-
town. He had a family of nine children— two sons,
John and Joseph, and seven daughters. Joseph,
the great grandfather of our subject, was born
February 26, 1773. In the year 1798, he became
the owner of the tract of land purchased by his

frandfather, Adam Bittinger, in 1753. He died
uly 26, 1804, at the early age of thirty two years,
and left a widow and five sons, viz. : John, Joseph,
Henry, Frederick and George. His second son
Joseph, the grandfather of Dr. J. H. Bittinger,
was born November 13, 1794, married L3'dia Bear,
of Hanover, in 1819, and died September 27, 1850,
on the old homestead of Adam Bittinger. the im-
migrant. He left twelve children, viz. : William,
now residing in, Abbottstown; Henry, born 1821 and
died 1879; Joseph, graduate of Pennsylvania
College and of Andover Tlieological Seminary,
became pastor of a Presbyterian Church in Cleve-
land, Ohio,and Pittsburgh, Penn., was afinespeaker,
an elegant writer and a doctor of divinity; died
in 1885, and his remains were interred at Hanover.
The other children were Ellen, Edward (died in
Chicago), Bebecca, John, Quiney (graduate of Dart-
mouth College and Andover Seminary, pastor of
Congregational Church at Haverhill, N.H.), Daniel,
Annie, Howard, Nicholas (now in Florida) and
Charles Lewis, now in Florida. Dr. J. H. Bit-
tinger, the subject of this sketch, was born in
Berwick Township, February 3, 1852. and is a son
of Henry Bittinger. For a time he attended Penn-
sylvania College^ taught school in Illinois and in
Pennsylvania. In 1871, while in the wholesale
foreign and domestic fruit business with hisuncles,
George and Charles, in the city of Chicago, their
entire establishment was burned by the disastrous
fire that destroyed over $200,000,000 worth of prop-
erty, and 7,4.50 buildings. Dr. Bittinger returned
to Hanover in 1873, began to read medicine, en-
tered the Jefferson Medical College of Pliiladelphia
and graduated in 1878, began practicing in Hanover,
where he soon prospered in his profession. After two
and one-half years of successful practice he removed
toPhiladelphia.wherehe did a lucrative business. In
1882 he returned to Hanover, and the same year was
married to Miss Clara E. Bucher. They have one
child— Lida. Dr. Bittingeris an active practitioner,
is well read, and thoroughly versed in his profes-
sion and now enjoys a large practice. He is a
member of the State Medical Society, American
Medical Association and the York County Medical
Society.

CHARLES C. BOWMAN is a native of the
city of "brotherly love," was born in 1831, and is a
son of Charles and Sarah (Sultz) Bowman, of Ger-
man descent. His father was born in the same city
in 1800, and died in 1874; his mother died in 1864.
When a mere boy he left Philadelphia and went to
New York City, remained a short time and then
went to Newark, N. J.; fourteen years of age
found him at sea, which he sailed six years, and has
traveled around the world from west to east once,
and for a number of years he was in the employ of
the United States government. In 1851 he came to
Hanover and engaged in the manufacture of cigars,
but at the end of one year he went to Newark, N.
J., and there remained until 1864, when he returned
to Hanover, and here has since resided. Mr. Bow-
man was married in 1852 to Miss Dorothea Grimes,
a native of Germany. To this marriage have been
born thirteen children. Politically Mr. Bowman
is a Democrat. He is one of the substantial and
successful business men of Hanover. He is a
Mason and K. T. and a member of the I. O. O. F.
and I. O. E. M., and Mr. and Mrs. Bowman are



members of the Reformed Church. He is at jjres-
ent one of the building committee of the Trinity
Reformed Church which is being erected in Han-
over and was one of the founders of said church,
which is nearly completed. He is closely con-
nected with Hon. Daniel Fox, ex-mayor of Phila-
delphia, Penn.

HON. PHILIP S. BOWMAN, eldest of the sev-
en children of John and Catharine (Stambaugh)
Bowman, was born February 15, 1846, in Jackson
Township, formerly Paradise Township, and is of
German descent. The father was born March 29,
1822, in Heidelberg Township; the mother was born
in Paradise Township. Our subject was reared a
farmer, and educated at the common schools, and
at the Manchester Academy, Carroll County, Md.,
and at the normal school at Millersville, Lancaster
Co., Penn. For five years from 1863 he taught



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 174 of 218)