John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 175 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 175 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


school. In 1871 he engaged in the grain and prod-
uce trade at Hanover, and two years later re-
sumed farming. In politics he is a Democrat, and
in 1869 was elected assessor of Heidelberg Town-
ship. In 1873 he was elected assistant assessor; in
1874, school director; in 1876, representative of York
County, and in 1878 was re-elected in each of the
two last cases by more than a party vote. In the
legislature he took an active part in opposing the
Pittsburgh Riot Bill, which was defeated. In 1881
he was elected secretary of the Farmers' Mutual
Fire.llnsurance Company, of Paradise. York Co.,
Penn., of which company he is also a director. In
1883 he was elected justice of the peace, and for the
past two years has also been engaged in surveying.
In 1867 he joined the Odd Fellows, and in 1872 was
made a Free Mason, being now W. M. of Patmos
Lodge No. 348. He is also a member of Howell
Chapter No. 199, and York Commandery No. 21.
He was married, in 1867, to Miss Lydia E., daugh-
ter of Samuel and Julia Ann Keller, born Septem-
ber 23, 1846, in Heidelberg Township. Four chil-
dren have blessed this union, viz.: Milton E., Martha
E., Ira A. and Oscar R. Mr. and Mrs. Bowman
are members of the Lutheran Church.

JOHN BUTT, a cigar manufacturer of Penn-
ville, Penn Township. York County, was born De-
cember 25, 1825, in York County, and is the only
child of John and Eva ( Zeigler) Butt. His father
was a hatter by trade, and followed the same until
his death. Our subject was brought up a farmer,
and received a common school education, most of
which he acquired by himself, as he lost his father
when an infant. Until his seventh year he remained
with his mother. He then made" his home with
Daniel Diehl, with whom he remained until he be-
came of age. Early he learned the trade of shoe-
making, and followed it for fourteen years. No-
vember 4, 1848, he was married to Joanna Bankert,
a daughter of Daniel Bankert, deceased. To them
were born six children : Zepania, Matilda. Austin,
deceased; Elaranda, deceased; Milton and an in-
fant, deceased. In 1849 Mr. Butt reihoved to the
place where he has since resided, and has carried on
the manufacture of cigars for thirty years. He and
wife are members o'f the Methodist Episcopal
Church of Hanover. Mr. Butt takes great interest
in educational matters, and is considered a liberal,
public-spirited citizen. Politically he is a Repub-
lican.

CAPT. A. W. EICHELBERGER, The sub-
ject of this sketch is an honored representative of
the Eichelbprger fnmilv. The great-grandfather of
our subjeri Philip l'iH.l<'rick "Eichelberger. son of
John and :\I:i! i:( i;,iili:ir:i Eichelberger. who was born
Aprill7. lii'.i::, in liliiiLitu, near Sinzheim, then in the
Grand Dueby of llaJeu, now in the Empire of
Germany. He was married November 11. 1714, to
Anna Barbara Doeruers. On May 11, 1728, he re-
ceived from the authorities of Itlingen a testimonial



HANOVER BOROUGH AND PENN TOWNSHIP.



of his good character and houorable standing, the
original of which is now in possession of Edwin S.
Bichelberger, Esq., a great-great -gi'andson, residing
in Predericlc, Md. On the 23d pf June, 1728, himself,
wife and four children, together with thirty other
Palatinates and their families, 100 in all, embarked
in the good ship "Albany," and set sail from Rot-
terdam, Holland, for the land of their adoption.
Lazarus O.xham was shipmaster, or captain, of this
vessel, which landed September 4, of the same year,
at Philadelphia. On September 13, 1743, he ob-
tained a land warrant from the proprietaries of
Pennsylvania for 17.? acres of land in Manheim
Township, Lancaster Co., Penn. Upon this tract
he took his family, cleared and cultivated the land,
built a house and prospered to such an extent that
only two years later he obtained grants for 140
acres additional, located in Conestoga and Man-
heim Townships of the same county. He remained
in Lancaster County until 17.54, when, on April 28,
1761, he purchased a warrant of Conrad Low for
320 acres of land in Manheim Township. York Co.,
Penn. He died September 19, 1776, aged eighty-
three years five months and two days. His re-
mains now slumber in the historic old burying |
ground, about one mile north of Hanover. The
children by his first wife were Martin. Frederick,
Anna Margeret (married to Vincent Keefer), Bar-
bara Cmarried to Andrew Hoke) and Elizabeth
(married to Jacob Smyser). His fir.st four children,
as above stated, were born in Germany. These
children, after marriage, located in and around
York. Martin, the eldest of the sons, was present
at York when the town was laid out in 1741, and
purchased Lot No. 120. He was one of the origi
nal members of the first Lutheran Church in York;
was commissioned a court justice under King
George HI in 1760, the first year of his long reign,
and also under constitution of 1776. being promi-
nenllv identified with the early history of York,
where he died in 1781 or 1782. The children of
Martin were George, Frederick, Jacob, Bernard,
Martin, Susanna (married to Daniel Barnitz) and
Mary (married to William T, Coale). George and
Jacob were prominent in collecting goods and
money for jthe Revolutionary army. George was
appointed quartermaster of the militia of York
County in 1776. He was a member of the Provin-
cial Convention, which was held at Philadelphia
the 23d of January, 1776. He had been liigh sher-
iff of York under the king from 1768 to 1771. He
died in York about the year 1781. Jacob was sher-
iff of York County, elected in 1804. He subse-
quently removed to Reisterstown, Md., where he
died in 1832. aged eighty-nine years. Frederick,
the second son of Martin, was a "large land-holder.
He lived in Bottstown, near York.' His children
were John, Thomas, Daniel, George, Bernard,
William. Cliarles and Sarah. He died at his son's
house, one and one-third miles west of York, in
1824, aged eighty-four years. Martin, the youngest
son of Martin, during the Revolution, when less
than eighteen, took a horse and rode to Boston, and
joined Capt. Swope's company, which had left York
before. He obtained a lieutenancy in Capt. Nich-
ols' company, and on his transfer to the commissary
department succeeded to the command of the com-
pany. He served with much credit during the war,
and subsequently accompanied the expedition to
Wyoming to repel the incursions of the Indians.
He remained in the army until 1783. As a recogni-
tion of his services and exemplary character, he' ob-
tained the office of weighmaster at the port of
Baltimore, which position he held for forty-five
years. He died in that city October 2, 1840, in
the eighty-second year of his age. Among his
sons was Otho W. Eichelberger. He was one of
the oldest merchants in Baltimore; was in



at No. 1 Howard Street for over fifty years. He
died January 30, 1879, in the eightieth year of his
age. Jesse, another son of Martin, was killed in
Fort McHenry, at Baltimore, in 1814. Frederick
Eichelberger, the second son of the immigrant,
although born in Germany, soon imbibed tlie spirit
of American patriotism. He lived near York, and
was a justice during the time of the Revolution.
The children .by tlie second marriage of Philip
Frederick Bichelberger were , Adam, Leonard,
Jacob (grandfather of our subject) and Lewis.
Adam, the eldest, was a captain of a company of
Associators of York County during the Revolution,
and was also active in collecting money and sup-
plies for the army. He was married to Magdalina
Bechtel. Their children were Frederick, Michael,
Samuel, Adam, Joseph, Susanna, Salome and Mag- -
dalina. He obtained possession of the homestead
in 1766, which then contained 220 acres, including
the mill place,which at that time was situated in
Manheim but is now in Heidelberg Township, about
three miles east of Hanover on the York road.
The mill, whieh is in close pro.ximity to the Han-
over & York Railroad, is now owned by George
Jacobs. In addition to the occupation of farmer,
Adam was also a tavern-keeper. He was a promi-
nent and influential citizen, and died in 1787, aged
forty-eight years and seven months. The home
place has been kept in the family up to the present
time, and is now occupied by Charles Eichelberger,
a great-grandson. Leonard, the second son of Phiiip
Frederick Eichelberger, by the second wife, was a
farmer. He was married to Elizabeth Smyser, and had
four sons: Jacob,Frederick,George and John; and six
daughters; Mnry, married to Barney Welty; Sarah,
to Frederick Welty; Susan, to Lewis Shearer; Lydia,
to Daniel Bailey, and Elizabeth, to H. Richen-
baugh. Jacob lived in York, was sheriff of York
County, elected a member of the legislature in 1807
and a justice in 1829. He had three daughters:
Eliza, rnarried to Dr. George L. Shearer, of Dills-
burg; Maria, to James McCosh, and Catherine, to
Enoch Young. Frederick was a farmer, and lived
near Dillsburg until the last year of his life, when
he moved to Frederick City, Md. He married
Catherine Baker; was amemberjof the legislature in
181.'5-16-17. and of the senate in 1819. He had uo
children, and died in 1836. George, the third son
of Leonard, removed to Frederick County, Md.,
and was register of wills for thirteen years. He
married Sarah Grayson. His sons were Nilos, Gray-
son. Hervy and Allen. Grayson was secretary of
State under Gov. Grayson, and was also a member
of the senate of Maryland. Edwin, son of Gray-
son and "great-great-grandson of the immigrant, is
now a lawyer in Frederick City, Md. John, the
fourth son of Leonard, was a farmer and justice.
He lived in York County, and was a member of the
legislature in 1825. His children were John and
Alexander. Jacob, the third son of the second
wife of the immigrant, resided in the town of Han-
over. He was engaged in farming and keeping
tavern. He was married to Anna Maria Reiniker.
He died in 1811. His remains were 'first interred
in St. Matthew's Lutheran gi-aveyard, and were
afterward removed to Mt. Olivet Cemetery. He
left but one son, Jacob, the father of our subject,
who became quite prominent in the borough of
Hanover for a great many years. He was a mer-
chant and farmer, and kept a public house which
was long known as the "stage office," now the
"Central Hotel." He was the first president of the
Maryland Line Turnpike Company, and was active
In organizing the Hanover Savings Bank, of which
he became president in 18.3.5, and served with great
acceptance for a number of years. He died in
1843. He was first married to Elizabeth Nace. By
this marriage he had three daughters: Louisa, mar-



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



ried to George Trone; Maria, to JacoV) Young, and '
Elizabeth, to Michael Barnitz. In the year 1806 he
married Miss Maria Wirt, daughter of Christian
Wirt, of Hanover. By this marriage he had eight
children; Matthew, who now resides in Gettysburg;
Jacob, who died in the State of Alabama in 1881;
Henry, a farmer, residing in Hanover; Catherine
Maria, married to S. A. McCosh, died in Georgia in
1868; Capt. A. W.; Rufus, president of the Han-
over Saving Fund Society; Amanda, married to A.
F. Gitt, of New Oxford, and died in 1871; and
Amelia, the youngest, who is now living with her
brothers in Hanover. Lewis, the fourth son of
Frederick, lived in Adams County, Penn. He left
one sou, Adam, and three daughters, all of whom
are now dead. Capt. A. W. Bichelberger was born
in Hanover December 6, 1819. His father gave him
the advantage of the best schools the town afforded.
He remained at home until May, 1838, when he was
apprenticed to learn the carpenter's trade with
Conrad Moul, at Westminster, Md., where he re-
mained three years and returned to Hanover. In
184.3 he traveled overland to the Stale of Georgia
to visit his elder brother, Jacob. Whilst there he ar-
ranged for the shipment of carriages and damask
coverlets to that State, which business he continued
for several years, and subsequently purchased, joint-
ly with his brother, the Wehadkce Flour and Saw-
mills in the State of Alabama, and has since held
his interest in the same, except during the civil
war, when the properly was confiscated by the
Confederate government, and returned to him
after the war." From 1845 to 1853 he spent his win-
ters in the South, looking after his interests there,
and his summers in Hanover, devoting his time to
farming his own and his mother's land, to making
purchases for shipment South, and in drilling an
infantry company of citizen soldiers, called the
" United Blues," and afterward a cavalry company
known as the "Fourth Dragoons." As a military
officer he was a universal favorite. In his early
life, was a devoted Whig, and took an active part
in the political campaigns of 1844 and 1852, and
took the stump as a speaker on those occasions. He
is now a Republican. He has never married. In
the year 1873 he, together with three other public-
spirited citizens, presented the beautiful fountain
which now adorns the Centre Square of Hanover,
and adds so much to the attractions of the town.
He is a regular attendant at St. Mark's Lutheran
Church, and a liberal contributor to all objects of |
benevolence and charity; takes a lively interest in
the public welfare of his native town, and is uni-
versally popular among his neighbors and fellow !
citizens. In 1853. on account of his administrative I
and executive abilities, he was at the age of thirty-
four elected president of the Hanover Branch
Railroad Company, and still holds the same posi-
tion, being in term of continuous service the oldest
railroad president in the United States. This road
was afterward, through his influence, consolidated
with the Gettysburg Railroad. He is now president
of the Baltimore & Hanover, Bachman Valley. I
Berlin Branch and Baltimore & Harrisburg Rail- !
road Companies, all of which are described in
another part of this work. In his industrious ca- [
reer in the railroad business, he has constantly kept
in view the material interests of his native town
and surrounding country, and the prosperity of the
roads over which he presides. The town of Han-
over will long remember him for his industry, liber- !
ality and devoted interest in her material welfare.

OLIVER T. EVERHART. second son of George '<
and Catherine Everhart.was born May 18, 1832.
He received his preliminary education at the Man-
chester (Md.) Academy, and thus prepared himself
for the Sophomore class of 18.51 at Marshall College,
at Mercersburgh, Penn. This college was afterward



removed to Lancaster, Penn., and being united to
Franklin College, the name was changed 6o Frank-
lin & Marshall College, and from this institution
our subject was graduated in 1854. He read medi-
cine under Dr. Henry E. Beltz, of Manchester, Md.,
and attended medical lectures at the University of
Maryland, from which he graduated in 1856. The
same year he located in Goldsboro', York County,
and began the practice of his profession. During
the late war Dr. Bverhart was assistant surgeon at
the Cliambersburgh and Camp Curtin Hospitals.
In 1867 he removed to Shrewsbury, Penn.. and
thence in 1869 to Marysville, Penn.. where he re-
mained nine years, and then came to Hanover, and
here has since continued to reside. He was united
in marriage in 1859 to Miss Sarah, daughter of Rev.
Jacob G. Kister. Mrs. Everhart died'in 1860: and
Dr. Everhart, in 1864. married Miss AnnaC. Shelly,
daughter of Michael Shelly. To this marriage have
been born four children. Dr. Everhart is a success-
ful physician and enjoys a lucrative practice. He
is a Democrat. Dr. and Mrs. Everhart are members
of the Trinity Reformed Church.

JOSHUA P. FLICKINGER was born in York
County, Penn., July 15, 1854. His parents were
Abraham and Sarah (Wertz) Flickinger. of York
County. He remained with his father until he was
twenty-one 3'ears of age, when he engaged in the
insurance business two years. In the spring of
1879 he formed a partnership with C. B. Bowman,
for the sale of agricultural implements. Mr. Flick-
inger belongs to the I. O. 0. F. and is also a Mason.

DAVID GARBER, a prominent horse dealer of
Hanover. Penn., was born in Lancaster County.
Penn.. November 14, 18i6, and is a son of Samuel
and Rebecca (Davis) Garber. In the year 1846 he
had already engaged in the stock business and fol-
lowed it eight years. He then removed to Hanover.
Penn., where he engaged in the livery business,
and in connection with this in buying and selling
horses. In 1870 he purchased the Central Hotel at
Hanover, which he owns and lives in at the present.
In 1856 he was married to Anna Elizabeth Bair.
daughter of John and Lydia (Young) Bair. of
Hanover. They have two children: Ida Alice and
Annie May. Mr. Garber is a Knight Templar in
the Masonic fraternity.

D. B. GROVE, M. D., is a son of Jacob and
Louisa C. (Shriver) Grove. His grandfather, George
Grove, was a wagon-maker in Hanover. His
maternal grandfather, Henry Shriver. resided in
Littlestown, Adams Cotmty. Dr. Grove was born
in Hanover May 29, 1860, and was educated in the
public and private schools of his native town. He
then entered a drug store in Baltimore as a clerk,
but on account of declining health, for the time, re-
tired from that position and returned to his home.
After recuperating his health his attention was
directed to homeopathy. Being a thorough con-
vert to that mode of medical treatment he began to
study medicine, and In 1881 entered the Homoeo-
pathic Medical College of New York City, and was
graduated in 1883. While in that institution he
was elected guiz-master in medical jurisprudence,
an honor conferred upon him by his fellow students.
He joined the American Society of Homceopatliy
in 1884, and attended its sessions that year at Deer
Park, Md. In 1885 he was elected surgeon of the
Hanover Junction, Hanover & Gettysburg and
Hanover i& Baltimore Railroads. Dr. Grove is de-
votedly attached to the practice of medicine, and
as a result thereof soon secured a lucrative business.

JACOB F. GUNDRUM, teacher and composer
of music, and justice of the peace of Hanover, was
born in Alsfeld, Hesse Darmstadt, Germany, De-
cember 23, 1837. and is a son of Jacob and Sophie
(Strecker) Gundrum. His father was a preceptor
in his native country over fifty years, and upon his



64



HANOVER BOKOUGH AND PENN TOWNSHIP.



retirement received from his king a gold cross,
order of merit. Wlien quite young he began the
study of music in his native city, and at the age of
sixteen years he entered the seminary at Freidberg,
near Frankfort-ou-the-Main, from which he grad-
uated in the class of 1856. The same year he
tauglit music a few months and then came to Amer-
ica,' and went directly to Wisconsin, wbere one of
his sisters resided, with whom he remained until
the war broke out. In April, 1861, he enlisted at
Mineral Point, Wis., in Company I, Second Wis-
consin Volunteers, for three months, but re-cnlisted
shortly after for three years, June 11, 1861. He
was soon transferred to the band, and with his regi-
ment he participated in tlie battles of Blackburn's
Ford, July 18, 1861, and the first Bull Run, at ihe
latter receiving a shgbt wound. He served with
the regiment until September, 1863, when all bands
â– were mustered out. During this part of service he
took part in all the engagements whifh Gen. Mc
Dowell had in Virginia, until the second battle of
Bull Run, after which he returned to his own State
to organize a brigade band, and re-enlisted Novem-
ber 9, 1863, in the brigade known as the "Iron
Brigade of the West," and with the brigade was in
all the battles from that time until the war closed,
receiving an honorable discharge June 12. 1865.
February o, 1865, he was married at Gettysburg,
Penn., to Susan Herr, a native of Lancaster County,
and had live sons, two of whom died in infancy.
The living are Harry F., Charles A. and J.
Willie. Alter tbe close of the war he came to Get-
tysburg, where he began teaching music, forming a
class also at Hanover, to which latter place he re-
moved in 1867, and has since resided there, teach-
ing music and dealing in pianos and organs. Al-
though in politics a "Democrat, he was elected in
1861 justice of the peace of Hanover Borough for
five years. He is a member of the G. A. R. and of
the society of the " Iron Brigade." His wife died
November 13, 1883. Mr. Gundrum has also been a
successful composer of music.

REV. JOHN H. HARTMAN. resident pastor of
Leshey Reformed Church, and three other congre-
gations, was born in Bavaria, Germany, September
9, 1848. His parents were Peter and Wilhelmina
(Fetzer) Hartman, who came to this country in
September, 1853, bringing with them their two boys
and one daughter, and located in Tamaqua, Schuyl-
kill Co., Penn., where they have since resided, and
where two more sons have been born. Rev. John
went to school in. his boyhood, and also worked in
the coal mines as slate picker, after which he
worked at the barber's trade in Philadelphia, When
about twenty years of age he attended Palatinate
College, atMyerstown. Penn.. where he spent two
years and a half. From there he went to Heidelberg
Theological Seminary, at Tiifin, Ohio, from which
he graduated in 1874. His first charge was the
Trinity Reformed Church at Tamaqua, Penn.,
which he served six years; then Lehighton, Carbon
Co.. Penn., where he was in charge four years
and three months. He came to Hanover, April 33,
1884, and assumed the pastorate of "Leshey"
charge. He was ordained by a committee of Leba-
non Classis at Tamaqua, Penn., March 10. 1874.
On June 4, 1874, he was married at Canfield, Ohio,
to Mary A. Berger, a native of Switzerland, who
lived at the time of her marriage at North George-
town, Ohio. They have five children; JohnEdwtn,
Charles Reuben, Minnie Eliza, Mary Elizabeth and
Oliver Samuel. Both husband and wife were
brought up in the Reformed Church. Rev. H.
preaches in German and English.

DANIEL JACOB HAUER, D. D., was born in
Frederick, Md.. March 3, 1806; is the son of George
and Catherine (Shellman) Hauer, and is of German
descent, his ancestors having come from Lorraine.



Dr. Hauer received his elementary training in the
public schools of Frederick, Md., and prosecuted his
classical studies at Frederick College. In 1833 he
began the study of theology under Rev. D. F.
Schaffer, D. D., and three years later he was licensed
ad int&rim to preach by the synod of Maryland and
Virginia. His labors for some time, as mission-
ary, were within the confines of Virginia, and
then he accepted a call from congregations in
Guilford and Orange Counties, N. C. In 1839
he was ordained by the synod of North Caro-
lina, at Wythe Court House, Va. In 1838 he ac-
cepted a call from several churches in Montgomery,
Roanoke, Floyd and Botetourt Counties, Va., and
there he remained until 1833, when he removed to
Lovettsville, Loudoun Co., Va., where he labored
until 1845, when he came to Jefferson, Md. In
1853 he was called to the Manchester charge, Mary-
land. The degree of doctor of divinity was con-
ferred upon him in 1859 by Irving College, in Car-
roll County, Md. From 1862 until 1873 he was
pastor of the Abbottstown, New Oxford and East
Berlin congregations in Adams County, Penn..
together with St. Peter's Church, in York County.
In 1873 he took charge of the Manheim charges,
York County, and in 1881 of the Spring Grove
charge of his present pastorate. In 1855 he was
elected president of the Maryland synod, and in
1862 of the Melancthon synod of Maryland. He is
the only survivor of the founders of the synod of
Virginia. He has spent fifty-nine years in actual
ministerial labor, and though he is passing into the
sere and yellow leaf, his years sit lightly upon him.
His marriage occurred, in 1828, to Miss Henrietta
Warner, of Baltimore, Md. Of seven children born,
three yet survive. Dr. Hauer is one of the prom-
inent clergymen of York County, and a leading
citizen of Hanover.

WILLIAM HELTZEL, ex-editor of the Hano-
ver Citizen, and a leading Democratic politician of
York County, was born at New Lisbon, Oliio, May
13, 1840, and is a son of Hon. Nicliolas and Mary

1 (Knepley) Heltzel. The Heltzel family is of Scotch-
German lineage. The father of Mr. Heltzel was
born in York County in 1805, and liis mother in
Georgetown, D C, in 1818. The father of our sub-
ject l*as long been one of the prominent men of

] Adams County, Penn., and during the years 1867
and 1868 he represented that county in the general
assembly. Mr. Heltzel was educated at the public
schools.and at New Oxford College.in Adams Coun-



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 175 of 218)