John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 178 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 178 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


married March 9, 1815, to Catharine, second daugh-
ter of John Swope, and in the spring of 1816 suc-
ceeded his 'father in business at the old stand,
which he continued eleven years, and in 1837 retired
to private life. He took great interest in all the
movements that were then made for the advance-
ment of the educational, spiritual and material
interests of his native town. He with several
others were instrumental in establishing the first
Sunday-schools in Hanover, and after very deter-
mined opposition, succeeded in putting the common
schools in operation in Hanover during the year
1835. He was very much interested in the question
of railroad connections to his native town. When
the construction of the York, Wrightsville &
Gettysburg Railroad was projected, he used all his
powers to have it pass through Hanover. He
heartily encouraged the building of the Hanover
Branch Railroad, was the heaviest subscriber to its
stock, and was a member of the board of managers
for many years. He was for a long time a director
in the bank of Gettysburg, the Hanover Saving
Fund Society and was president of both turnpikes
that extended from Hanover. He died in the spring
of 1859, aged about seventy years, leaving a widow,
who died in 1876, six daughters and one son (Henry)
to survive him. Henry Wirt, son of Henry and
Catharine (Swope) Wirt, was born in Hanover Feb-
ruary 33, 1837. He received his education in the
schools of his native town. Early in life he entered



his father's store and at the age of twenty years be-
gan the mercantile business for himself, which he
continued until 1850, when he retired from active
business. He has served as chief burgess of Han-
over two terms, secretary and director of the
Hanover Branch Railroad Company, president of
the Hanover Saving Fund Society for eight years,
and in the year 1885, is a director in the National
Bank of Gettysburg, director of the Hanover Saving
Fund Society, a charter member and director in the
Hanover Water Company, secretary of the Berlin &
Hanover Turnpike Company, president of the
Hanover & Maryland Line Turnpike Company and
a member of the board of trustees of Franklin and
Marshall College at Lancaster, to which institution
he recently gave the first |5,000 toward creating an
additional professorship in the theological depart-
ment of that institution. Mr. Wirt was about
fifteen years a member of the school board of his
native town, and while serving in that office, was
constant and earnest in his efforts to advance the
cause of public education. He was married October
36, 1854, to Louisa, daughter of Mathias N. Forney,
who was a prominent citizen of Hanover and one
of the projectors of the Hanover Saving Fund
Society. Mrs. Wirt's mother, Amanda (Nace)
Forney, was the daughter of George Nace, also
a prominent and influential citizen. Mr. and Mrs.
Wirt are members of Emanuel Reformed Church
of Hanover, of which he has been elder for sixteen
years. Jacob Wirt, second son of Christian and
Catharine Wiit, was born February 34, 1801. He
began the dry goods and general merchandise busi-
ness for himself in 1837, succeeding his brother, at
his father's stand, and continued at the same place
eleven years. He then engaged in the lumber and
coal business for a short time. When the Hanover
Branch Railroad Company was organized, in
November, 1849, he was chosen its president, served
one year and then resigned. He was elected a
director of the same corporation in 1860, and con-
tinued until 1865. For a number of years he was
president of the Hanover Saving Fund Society,
which position he held until his death, and was
recognized as an excellent financier. In politics he
was a Whig originally, and afterward a stanch Re-
publican. He was an ardent supporter of all enter-
prises that contributed to the welfare of his native
town. He was a member of the Reformed Church.
Mr. Wirt was married to Amelia Danner, November
20, 1837, and died November 8, 1869. Their chil-
dren were Emma C, born May 38, 1829 (married to
Dr. John A. Swope, of Gettysburg and now the
representative in congress from the district to
which York County belongs), deceased; Alexander
Christian, born November 13, 1831, deceased;
Jacob, born February 38, 1834, deceased; Eliza
Ann, born May 10, 1836 (married to George W.
Forne}^ of Hanover; they have two children, J.
Wirt and Nettie A.); Martha, married to Albert Bar-
nitz, of York (he died leaving two children: J.
Percy and Emma W. Mrs. Barnitz lives in Han-
over); Danner, born October 21, 1840, deceased;
Reuel, born July 30, 1843, deceased; Calvin Clay,
born April 13, 1844 (engaged in banking business in
Baltimore; married Miss Ellen Buehler, of that
city, and returned to Hanover. He died at the
age of thirty years); Florence Amelia, born
March 29, 1846, deceased. Robert Millard Wirt,
the youngest son of Jacob and Amelia Wirt,
was born January 16, 18.53. Attended the schools
of Hanover and afterward Pennsylvania Military
Academy, at Chester, Penn. He was mamed June
34, 1875, to Miss Bertha B. Barnitz, daughter of Dr.
C. S. Barnitz, of Middletown, Ohio. They have
three children: Amelia D., Charles B. and Robert
0. Mr. Wirt and family are members of the
Reformed Church. He is a director of the Hanover



HANOVEE BOROUGH AND PENN TOWKSHIP.



Saving Fund Society, secretary of the Hanover
Junction, Hanover & Gettysburg Railroad, secre-
tary and treasurer of ttie Hanover Water Company
and treasurer of the Baltimore & Hanover Railroad
Company.

FREDERICK W. WOLFF, a musician of some
note and a resident of Baltimore, Md., was born in
Hauover, Penn., November 17, 1858, and is the
only son of Philip C. and Susanna (Snyder) Wolff,
of York County. The father, a German by birth,
engaged in the manufacture of bucksliin gloves at
Hanover about 1833, and continued the same until
his death in 1883. The mother, of English descent,
is also a resident of Baltimore. .Frederick W. be-
gan the study of music, vphen quite young, at
Hanover, where he remained until twelve years of
age, when he moved with his parents to Baltimore,
and there received a collegiate education. Desiring
to perfect himself in the study of music, he went to
Leipzig, Germany, where he took a three years'
course in the Conservatory of Music, and is an alum-
nus of that institution. Besides being a very success-
ful teacher of music he is also dealing extensively in
real estate in Hanover. Penn.

CHARLES M. WOLFF was born near Hanover,
Penn.. in October. 1847, is a son of J. George and
Eleanor (Bittinger) Wolff, and is of German-French
extraction. He was educated at the Pennsylvania
College, at Gettysburg, and graduated from that
institution in 1871. Subsequently he went toPotts-
ville, Penn., and for five years conducted a news-
paper, known as the Tremont News. He began the
study of the law in Pottsville. Penn., under ex-Atty.-
Gen. Francis W. Hughes. In 1877 he returned to
York County, and the same year was admitted to
the bar in York and Adams Counties, and has since
been in the active practice of his profession. He is
a member of the I. O. O. F., and is an energetic
citizen. The father of our subject was born in
Adams County, and is now engaged in the grain
business at Gettysburg.

CHARLES YOUNG, born in Hanover, March
3, 1830, is the fourth child and third son of a family
of four sons and two daughters. His parents. George
and Susan (Sholl) Young, were natives of Hanover,
and of German descent. His father was a farmer,
and died in 1867, in the seventieth year of his age.
Charles Young attended the public schools until
sixteen years of age, assisted on his father's farm
until twenty, then went toMiddletown, Ohio, where
he carried on a hardware and iron store, and bought
grain for eight years, and farmed four years more;
then returned East, and remained until his father's
death, after which he went to Kansas City, Mo.,
remained in that section about seven months, when
he again returned to Hanover," and soon afterward
engaged in the lumber and coal business, which he
.still follows. He was married in Middletown, Ohio,
in December, 1852, to Miss Susan Zearing, a native
of Warren County, Ohio, and of German descent.
They have had four children: Louisa Catherine, who
died aged about eight months; William Z.. who
died at the age of twenty-two; Ida S. and Emily L.
The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, and Mr. Young is one of the stewards of
the Hanover congregation. During Lee's invasion
of Pennsylvania, Mr. Young served in the militia of
his State. He served the borough as school director
one term of three years; as councilman two terms,
and was elected chief burgess in February, 1884.
He is a Republican in politics, and is a member of
the Masonic fraternity.

REV. WILLIAM KNOX ZIEBER, D, D., who
for many years has been a prominent and influential
clergvman of the Reformed Church, was born at
Reading, Penn., September 26, 1825. His parents,
Philip andCatharine(Bruckman)Zieber, are natives
of Reading. They brought up a family of ten



children— sis sons and four daughters. The father
was a merchant in his native city for forty years.
The subject of our sketch attended private schools;
at twelve years of age he had a fair English educa-
tion, and knew sornething of Latin. IJuring this
time he was a classmate of Hon. Hiester Clymer.
From the age of twelve to eighteen years he was a
clerk in his father's store. He etitered Marshall
College, at Mercersburg, Penn., at nineteen, and
graduated in the classical course in 1848. Three
years later the degree of master of arts was con-
ferred upon him. He entered the theological sem-
inary of the Reformed Church immediately after
leaving college. He was licensed to preach in 1849,
and went to Easton, Penn., where he was assistant'
preacher, and a teacher of a private school. He was
ordained in 1850, and during the next year removed
to Miamisburg; Ohio; he was pastor there for three
years, and at 'Tifiin, Ohio, five years. The succeed-
ing two years he was engaged in the home niission-
an' work, in the meantime traveling in the far
West in the discharge of his duty. In July, 18.59,
he came to Hanover, Penn., to take charge of the
Emanuel Reformed Church, which position he
held until May, 1882. when, from over-work, he
w.as compelled to resign on account of phj'sical dis-
ability. Rev. Dr. Zieber was married at Mercers-
burg. Penn.. on September 25, 1850, to Miss Sarah
Good, a native of Pennsylvania, and a sister of Rev.
William James Good. Five children were descend-
ants: Annie, Blanche, Bertha, Grace and Paul.
Bertha is teaching in a female seminary at Hagers-
town, Md. Grace is also a teacher in a kindergarten
in Philadelphia, and Paul is a druggist in the latter
city. During a ministry of twenty-two years, in
Hanover and vicinity. Dr. Zieber preached exclusive
of lectures 3, 106 times, baptized 700 persons, added to
his church 496 members, officiated at 379 funerals,
performed the marriage ceremony 254 times, and
collected for benevolent purposes $12,000, which
went to home missions, orphans' homes, and for the
preparation of young men for the ministry. Dr.
Zieber is well read in all departments of literature,
a theologian of recognized ability, and has done
much to improve the moral, educational and social
interests of Hanover. His home is a model of re-
finement and culture.

FRANK A. ZIEGLER, Pennsylvania Railroad
agent at Hanover, was born in Littlestown, Adams
Co., Penn., February 27, 1844, and is a son of
Charles H. and Margaret (Brothers) Ziegler, of
Adams County, and of German descent. His father,
who died in 1879, had been in the employ of the
Pennsylvania Railroad Company as collector of
tolls on the Pennsjdvania Canal at Clark's Ferry,
and subsequently at Middletown, from the time the
canal passed into the hands of the Pennsylvania
Railroad till within four years of his death. The
last two years he spent as bridge toll collector at
Wrightsville. Frank A. is the eldest of seven
children, and grew up principally in his father's of-
fice. At the age of fifteen years he began learning
telegraphy, and soon after occupied a place as op-
erator in his father's office at Clark's Ferry, but
remained only six weeks, and went to Harrisburg,
where he was until August 22, 1863, when he en-
listed in Company A, One Hundred and Twenty-
seventh Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry; he served
nine months, and was honorably discharged at Har-
risburg. On his return he took his old position as
operator in his father's office, which he kept until
1870, when he was transferred to Middletown, and
at the end of two years went to Alexandria, Va,,
where he was clerk in the freight office of the Penn-
sylvania Railroad. After a few months he was ap-
pointed agent and operator at Bowie, on the Balti-
more & Potomac Railroad, which position he held
for three years, and then was removed to Baltimore



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



City as clerk in the car record office of tlie Northern
Central Railroad. At the establishment of the
Frederick division of that line he was transferred
to the superintendent's office at York, and remained
there from 1875 to 1879, when he came to Hanover,
where he has since held the office of the agent of
the Pennsylvania Railroad. In July, 1881, he, in
company with D. P. McKeefer, established the tel-
ephone at Hanover, but sold out to the Pennsyl-
vania Telephone Company. In 1866 he was mar-
ried, in Dauphin County, to Ellen Garman, of that
county, and has had live children: George S.,
Grace G., Carrie M., Mary C. and Carl E. The
family are members of the Methodist Episcopal
Church. Mr. Z. is a Mason, a member of the I. O.
O. F., in which latter he is a trustee, and a member
of the G. A. R. In 1883 he was elected councilman
of his ward, but was defeated as chief burgess in
1884.

FRANCIS S. ZINN, junk dealer of Hanover,
Penn., was born in Austria in 1847, and is the eld-
est of two sons of George J. and Theresa (Hergesell)
Zinn, natives of Austria. The father was a major
in the Austrian army for eighteen years; he came
to this country in 1858 and settled at Hanover; in
1862 he enlisted in Company G,One Hundred and
Sixty-sixth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, for
one year, and died in 1879. Francis S. was brought
up at Hanover, where he received a good German
and English education, which enabled him to teach
a German school in New York State one term. In
1868 he was married to Behnda Parr, who died,
leaving five children: Ida K., George W., Otto J.,
Harry W. (deceased) and Rosa J. Mr. Zinn belongs
to the Lutheran Church of Hanover; is a Mason
and a member of the I. O. O. F., commander of
Encampment No. 47, of Hanover. In politics he is
an active Democrat, and has held the offices of
assessor, school director, district superintendent of
schools of Heidelberg and Penn Townships, and
in 1880 was enumerator of the census for the same
townships. Before engaging in his present bus-
iness he followed farming.



WRIGHTSVILLE BOROUGH AND HEL-
LAM TOWNSHIP.



JAMES A. ARMSTRONG, M. D., was born in
Lisbon, Ohio, January 8, 1839. His parents were
James and Margaret (Knepley) Armstrong, of Ohio
and District of Columbia, and of Scotch-Irish and
German descent respectively. Until his fourteenth
year he lived on the farm, receiving his primary
education at the schools of New Oxford, Penn. At
the age of tw'enty he entered the office of Dr.
PfeifEer, of N6w Oxford, where he read medicine
for two years,"going from there to Abbottstown,
where he read' with Dr. Pepper for three years.
After practicing and continuing his studies for a few
years, he entered the University of Pennsylvania at
Philadelphia, from which institution he graduated,'
in the spring of 1871, as medical doctor. After
practicing a year in Philadelphia, he discovered
his health to be failing, and discontinued for
about one year, devoting his whole time to the
recuperation of his physical forces. In 1873 he
removed to Hellam, where he has since been
practicing his profession with success. He was
married, at Abbottstown, in 1876, to Miss M.
Wolf, and had born to him six children, three of
whom died in infancy. The living are Ernest A.,



Mary E. and Margaret L. Dr. Armstrong is a
member and deacon of the Lutheran Church, and
was school director three years, and is a member of
the State Medical Association, and of the York
County Medical Society, of which he was vice-
president at one time.

THEODORE D. BAHN was born July 14,
1833, on the Dosch farm, half a mile south of East
Prospect, York Co., Penn. His parents were
Henry and Maria (Dosch) Bahn, and soon after
subject's birth removed to Marietta, Penn.; when
he was about one year old they removed to Lewis-
town, Mifflin Co., Penn., thence to the Comfort
Farm, five miles west from Lewistown; thence, in
his fifth year, to a farm in Juniata County, and in
his seventh year to McAlistersville, same county,
where his father engaged in the tanning business,
and died in our subject's thirteenth year. When
Theodore was fourteen, his mother died, leaving a
family of six small children, he being the eldest
and only boy. All were subsequently well cared
for by kind friends, he with his eldest sister being
taken into the family of his uncle, Jacob Dosch.
At the age of fifteen he removed with his uncle to
the then far West, arriving at Galena. 111., on the
1st of December; thence they traveled by team to
Fayette County, Wis., where they settled. He re-
mained with his uncle, working at the carpenter's
trade and farming at intervals, until he was eighteen
years of age, when he went into the Wisconsin
pineries, where he spent one year working at
shingle-making; returning again to Fayette County,
he worked at his trade and farming, until the
spring of 1857, when he removed to Lodi, Colum-
bia Co., Wis., continuing at his trade in the summer
and teaching school in the winter until April 18.
1861, when he enlisted in Company H, Second Wis-
consin Volunteers, for three months, going into
camp at Madison, where the regiment was drilled
until the 11th of June, when he, with the entire
regiment, re-enlisted for three years (being pro-
moted in the meantime to the position of fifth ser-
geant) and on the same day embarked for the seat
of war. He participated in the first Bull Run
battle, when he received a gunshot wound in the
right shoulder; was granted a furlough for two
months, returned home and in due time joined his
regiment. He participated in all the battles in
which his regiment was engaged (except those of
second Bull Run and Antietam, at which time he
was on detached duty in the engineer corps), up
to the battle of Gettysburg, where he was severely
wounded in the left side during the first charge of
the famous "Iron Brigade," within thirty yards of
he spot where Gen. Reynolds fell. With consider-
able difficulty and severe pain he reached the court
house, then being used as a hospital, where he re-
mained until the close of the battle; he was then
transferred to the United States General Hospital,
at York, Penn., where he remained until February
11, 1864, when he was pronounced unfit for field
service, and transferred to the Second Battalion
Veteran Reserve Corps. Company 108, with the
rank of first sergeant. He was assigned to duty as
clerk in the office of the surgeon in charge of the
above-named hospital, where he remained until
June 11, 1864, when he was honorably discharged.
He returned to his Western home, where, on the
21st day of July, the third anniversary of the first
Bull Run battle, he was married to Miss Hattie C.
Bartholomew. Resuming his trade, he worked for
the government at Duvall's. Bluff, Ark., on hospi-
tals for six months; returning again to Lodi, Wis.,
he pursued his trade until the fall of 1869, when he
removed to the city of Milwaukee, where he was
engaged in a sash, door and blind factory until the
spring of 1872, when he removed to Cedarburg,
.where he engaged in the same business- until the



74



WRIGHTSVILLE BOROUGH AND HELLAM TOWNSHIP.



fall of 1874, when he came to Wrightsville, and
entered the employ of his brolher-ia-law, John
Beidler, in the lumber and hardware business. In
1880 he entered the millinery, trlmmihg and fancy
goods business, in which he is still engaged, with
Very fair prospects of success. At present he holds
the position of "Post Commander" of Lieut. R W.
Smith Post, No. 270, G. A. R., and is a member of
the E. Lutheran Church and Sunday-school.

JOHN BEIDLER. The subject of this sketch is
one of the most prominent and active of the busi-
ness men of Wrightsville, and is now engaged in
the hardware business. For many years he carried
on the lumber business in Wrightsville, and his
trade extended through York and Adams Counties
in Pennsylvania, and Frederick and Harford Coun-
ties in Maryland, and from his extended business
connections he is well and favorably known
throughout this whole region of country. He has
recently placed the lumber business in the hands of
his eldest son, Harry B. Beidler, and devotes his at-
tention to the hardware business. Mr. Beidler was
born in the year 1836, on the farm now owned by
him, about two miles from Wrightsville, in Hellam
Township. This farm has been in the uninterrupted
possession of the Beidler family since the year
1744, having been convej'ed, in that year, by patent
from John Penn, Thomas Penn and Richard Penn,
to Ulrich Beidler, the greaj-great-grandfather of
John Beidler, and has been transferred from one
generation to another of his descendants until it
reached the present owner. Ulrich Beidler, above
mentioned, was one of the first of the Ijerman



records of the family show that he and his wife
Barbara Wft tliree sons and three daughters. One
of the daughters, Anna, was married to Henry
Strickler, and was the maternal ancestor of many
of the Stricklers now living in the valley. Barbara,
another daughter, was married to Jacob Blasser.
We have no record of the descendants of the other
daughter, Frena, or of ihe two younger sons, Peter
and Jacob, though it is more than probable that
descendants of Jacob Beidler, who, it is known,
left children, may be found. The eldest son of
Ulrich Beidler, Daniel Beidler, and who inherited
the home farm, married, and with his wife Barbara,
had a family of one son and eight daughters, all of
whom lived to grow up and become heads of
families of their own. Of the daughters, Barbara
was married to Joseph Erb, of Warwick Township,
Lancaster County; Magdalena, to Jacob Witmer, of
Cumberland County; Anna, to Daniel Flury; Frena
to Jacob Grove, of Hawkins County, N. C.; Eliza-
beth to- Nathan Barns, of Washington Countv,
Penn.; Mary to Melchoir Bringalf, and Catharine to

Berntheisel. Daniel Beidler the second, the

only son, who was born March 6, 1770, married
Susanna Fitz, and on the death of his father,
Daniel Beidler the first, came into possession of the
homestead, paying to his sisters their respective
shares of their father's estate. He had six children,
namely: Jacob, born in 1804; Barbara, born in 1805;
Daniel, born in 1807; Baltzer, born in 1808; Anna,
born in 1809, and John, born in 1810. John died
when less than a year old. and before the death of
his father. Daniel Beidler the second, died sud-
denly, at York, August 5, 1816, and the farm passed
into the possession of his widow, Susanna, and his
children, Jacob. Barbara, Daniel, Baltzer and
Anna. With the exception of Baltzer these all
died without having married. Jacob died in 1834,
Anna in 1861, Susanna (widow of Daniel Beidler
the second) in 1862, Daniel in 1872, and Barbara in
1880, leaving Baltzer Beidler the only survivor and
sole heir to the estate left by his father, Daniel
Beidler the second. Baltzer iBeidler was married



in 18.34 to Elizabeth Stoner. They had but two
children; John, the suOject of this sketch, and
Susan, who was born August 11, 1838, and died
May 10, 1843. Mrs. Elizabeth Beidler died January
12, 1841, in the twenty-seveath j'ear of her age.
Baltzer Beidler died May 4. 1884, aged seventy-five
years ten months and six days, when the estate
passed to John Beidler, the only heir. John
Beidler, tbe only son of Baltzer and Elizabeth
Beidler, was born in Hellam Township, York
Countj^ February 10, 1836, and received a common
school education. For a short time, in early man-
hood, he engaged in teaching in the public schools
of the county. In the year 1859 he was married to
Miss Marj^ E. Bahn, of Hellam Township, and
soon after his marriage he removed to Wrightsville



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 178 of 218)