John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 179 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 179 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and engaged in the lumber business. At this time,
Wrightsville was the center of a large lumber
trade, and wagons came from all points south and
west for a distance of twenty, thirty and forty
miles, to the number often of as many as thirty in
a single da3^ to be loaded at his yards. A few years
ago Mr. Beidler opened a large liardware' store at
the corner of Front and Locust Streets, and he has
since placed the lumber business in the hands of his
son. Harry B. Beidler. Mr. Beidler has one daugh-
ter and three sons living: Cordelia S., Harry B.,
Daniel and Elmer J. His residence is in Hellam
Township, adjoining the borough of Wrightsville.

GEORGE E. BERGER was born in York Town-
ship, York County, April 11, 1853, and is the
youngest son in a family of seven children of Jo-
seph and Lehna (Yanc}') Berger, of York County.
He was brought up on the home farm, and received
his education in the district schools of his neighbor-
hood. At fifteen years of age he left home and
worked at various occupations until the spring of
1871, when he began learning the trade of black-
smithing with his brother Isaac, in Longstown, York
County, and remained there two years, after which
he came to Stony Brook and followed his trade for
eighteen months, then entered the employ of Chris-
tian Stoner, at Stoner's Station, where he remained
eighteen months; then opened a shop of his own,
which he conducted until 1881, when he came to
Hellam, where he has since been engaged for him-
self. He was married April 6, 1879. to Hannah Kel-
ler, daughter of Jacob Keller, of York County, and
has by this union two children: Lillie D. and Maud.

HENRY BIRNSTOCK was born in Saxony, Ger-
many, November 4, 1837; came to this country in
18.54 and located at York, where he at once appren-
ticed himself to D. D. Doudel, to learn the trade of
tinsmith. In April, 1861. he enlisted at York, in
Company A, Sixteenth Pennsylvania Volunteers,
for three mouths, and in August, 1861, re-enlisted
in Company I, Seventy-sixth Pennsylvania Volun-
teers, for three years; with the exception of the last
six months in the Army of the Potomac, he served
in the Army of the South Atlantic, and participated
in the engagements of Fort Pulaski, Pocatahgo,
S. C. (in which he was slightly wounded), Fort
Wagner, James Island, Cold Harbor (Army of the
Potomac), Chapin's Farm and front of Petersburg.
He was mustered out at Harrisburg as first sergeant
in November, 1864, having served three months
over time. On his return to York he entered again
the employ of Mr. Doudel, with whom he worked
until 1869, when he moved to Wrightsville, where
he has since successfully carried on the manufacture
of tin and sheet iron ware and roofing, and the
stove business. He is a director of the Wrightsville
Town Hall Company, the Wrightsville & Chance-
ford Turnpike Company, and the Wrightsville
Hardware Company; is a member of the school
board, and also a member of the Masonic order,
I. O. O. F. and the G. A. R. He and wife belong
to the Lutheran Church. In the borough he has



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



75



served three terms as cbief burgess, and one term
as councilman. In 1865 lie was married at York to
Barbara Wisman, of York, who has borne him eight
children, of whom five are living. Silas M., Harry
D., Charles F., Willie W., Mary E.; Laura N.,
Freddie and Calvert were the names of the de-
ceased.

JACOB A. BLESSING was born in Lower
Windsor Township, March 20, 1848. His parents
were Alexander and Charlotte (Kauffelt) Blessing,
of York County, and descendants of a very old
family. Their only child is Jacob A. He' was
educated at the public schools, and in 1870 began
business for himself in Hellam Township in the
manufacturing of cigars, and in the mercantile
business in company with J. W. Gable; the part-
nership, however, was dissolved in 1873. In 1873
he began the manufacture' of cigars at Hellam for
himself, and in 1879 he opened the "Hellam
House," which building he had erected. He man-
ufactures from 400,000 to 500,000 cigars per an-
num. JVTay 1, 1870, he was married in York Town-
ship to Ellen Sakemiller. of Hellam Township,
and has three children: Annie, Walter and Gro-
ver. Mrs. Blessing is a member of the German
Reformed Church. Mr. Blessing, although a young
man yet, possesses good business qualities and is
higbly esteemed. In 1882 he was assessor of Hellam
Township.

CHRISTOPHER C. BURG was born in Lower
Windsor Township, March 15, 1829. His par-
ents were P. W. and Eliza (Dosch) Burg, na-
tives of Amsterdam, Holland, and York County,
respectively. The former died in 1856, and the lat-
ter in 1848. They had four sons and two daughters.
Christopher is the second son. He was brought up
on the farm, and educated at the public schools.
His father owned a mill, where Christopher spent
five years of his early life. From his twenty-fourth
to his thirty-fourth year he was engaged in canal
boating. Since 1872 he has been engaged in farm-
ing, four years in Spring Garden Township, and
since in Hellam Township, two miles west of
Wrightsville, on his fine farm of 106 acres. In
March, 18.54. lie was married to Mary Hauser,
daughter of John Hauser, deceased; and has had
born to him five children: P. W. ; Sarah, John L.,
Mary E. and Alfred W. Mr. Burg and family be-
long to the Lutheran Church; he is an active Re-
publican, and from 1865 to 1872 he held the oflice of
justice of the peace of Wrightsville. His first pres-
idential vote was cast for John C. Fremont.

JAMES CLARK CHANNELL, M. D., was
born in Fawn Township, York County, October 11,
1843. His parents were John and Mary (Clark)
Channell of Fawn Township, of Scotch-Irish and
Scotch descent, respectively. They had ten chil-
dren, of whom Dr. Channell is the fourth. He
spent his early youth on the farm, and received his
early education in the public school-, and later at
the York Normal School, and at the Stewartstown
Academy. He entered the University of Pennsyl-
vania, at Philadelphia, in 1868, and graduated in
1871, with the degree of M. D. Prior to entering
the college he had taught school for sis years.
August 7, 1862, he enlisted at Y'ork in Company I,
One Hundred and Thirtieth Pennsylvania Volun-
teer Infantrj', and served his full term. He partici-
pated in the battles of Antietam, Fredericksburgh
and Chancellorsville. At Antietam he was slightly
disabled by a spent ball. Through exposure and
marching he also contracted varicose veins, from
which he has never recovered. He next entered
the service as second lieutenant of Company D,
One Hundred and Ninety-fourth Pennsylvania Vol-
unteer Infantry. Returning he commenced the
study of medicine and began the practice in 1871, at
State Hill, York County. He left there in 1879,



)me extent, and finally located at
rhere he has since practiced his pro-



traveled to
Wrightsville,

f ession. In 1875 he was married a't New Brunswick,
N. J., to Elizabeth F., daughter of Dr. Frank W.
Clement, of Philadelphia. Dr. Channell belongs to
the Presbyterian Church, is a member of the K. of
P. and Post 270. G. A. R., and a correspondent for
diflierent newspapers.

STEPHEN A. COPENHAFER was born
November 15, 1856, is the sou of John H., and
Mary Copenhafer. of Manchester Township, and is
of German and English descent. His boyhood
was passed on the farm and in attending school.
One year he spent in learning milling with Jacob
Musser, of Lancaster County, then two years with
Benjamin Small of Mt. Wolf; then he worked a
year for F.U. Gantz, in Lancaster County, and then
he returned to Mt. Wolf and for four years ran a
mill on his own account. In 1883 he came to
Hellam and rented a mill from Z. K. Loucks, in
which he now carries on the business in iis differ-
ent branches. March 13, 1869, he married Emma
S., daughter of M. L. Duhling of Manchester
Borough. Mr. Copenhafer is a member of the
Lutheran Church, and his wife of the United
Brethren,

MONROE P. DECKER, son of John and Mary
Decker, of Glen Rock, this county, was born Feb-
ruary 5, 1860, and passed his earlier years in attend-
ing school and working on the home farm. Janu-
ary 6, 1879, he began to learn stone-cutting with L.

B. Sweitzer, remained with him over three years,
and April 1, 1882, removed to Wrightsville and
commenced business for himself, now employing
three hands and turning out some fine work in
marble, which he ships to various points. Decem-
ber 12, 1880, he married Emma M., daughter of
Henry and Louisa Strayer, of Springfield township,
and to this union have been born three children:
Phebe Ellen, Elsie Viola and May Irene. Mr.
Decker has been a member of the German Reformed
Church since 1879; is a member of the Riverside
Lodge No. 503, A. F. & A. M., and of Chihuahua
Lodge No. 317, I.' O. 0. F. He is of German de-
scent through his ereat-grandparents.

JONAS DEISINGER, M. D., was born in Para-
dise Township (now Jackson), York County, April
18, 1883. His parents were Jacob, and Salome
(Davis) Deisinger of York County, and of German
descent. They had eleven children, of whom
Jonas is the eldest now living. His first twenty
years he spent on his father's farm, receiving bis
education at the neighboring schools. For the
next three years he attended select schools at York
and other places, and taught during the winter in
the common schools of Ihis county. At the age of
twenty-three he began to read medicine with Dr.

C. S. Picking, and in 1858, entered the medical
department of Pennsylvania College at Philadel-
phia. From 1861 to 1868 he practiced medicine
at Hellam. In 1866 he entered the University of
Pennsylvania and graduated in the class of 1867.
After graduating he returned to Hellam, where,
with the exception of about three years, he has
been since. In the fall of 1862, he was married at
Hellam to Maria Mann, of Y'ork County. Tlie
Doctor is a genial gentleman, fond of his profession,
and has acquired a lucrative practice; he is a mem-
ber and an elder of the Reformed Church of the
United States, was a school director two terms, is a
member of the York County Medical Society, once
president of the same, and~is also a member of the
State Medical Association.

DAVID DETWILER was born in Lancaster
Count}', Januarys;. 1818. Hisparents were Joseph
and Susan (Garver) Detwiler, of Pennsylvania, and
of German descent. They had seven children, of
whom David is the eldest. He was brought up as a



76



WRIGHTSVILLE BOROUGH AND HELLAM TOWNSHIP.



farmer, and educated at the common schools. He
was married, in 1849, in Hellam Township, to Sarah
Stoner, a native of Pennsylvania, who has borne
him five children, four of whom are living; Paul,
Anna. David S. and Ellen. Mr. Detwiler is quite a
prominent man in his community. He owns 140
acres of land, on which he resides; is at present au-
ditor of Hellam Township, a director of the Sus-
quehanna & York Turnpike, and Wrightsville &
Chanceford Turnpike Companies. He was one of
the organizers of the Wrightsville Hardware Com-
pany, and for many years one of the directors. He
is very wealthy, and since 1879 has retired from ac-
tive business life, and resides in his magnificent
home he built on the hill just at the edge of the
town of Wrightsville.

PAUL DETWILER, son of David Detwiler, was
born near Wrightsville, October 25, 18.52. His
mother was Sarah (Stoner) Detwiler, of Pennsylva-
nia. He was reared on the farm and educated at
the district schools, and after becoming of age
worked for two years for his father, and then in
partnership with his brother began farming near
Wrightsville, and continued until 1879, when they
dissolved, and he kept on farming alone. He was
married, October 21, 1879, to Lizzie J. Emig, daugh-
ter of Eli Emig. an old and respected citizen of York
County. Two children have been born to this union ;
Martha, deceased; and Sarah. In the spring elec-
tion of 1884; Mr. Detwiler served as judge of elec-
tion. He and wife are members of the Lutheran
Church.

PETER DIETZ, Sr., wasbornin Hellam Town-
ship July 14, 1812. His parents were Peter and
Susannah (Lieppart) Dietz, of York County, and of
German descent. They had a family of seven
sons and two daughters, of whom Peter, Sr., was
the third son. He was brought up on a farm, and
educated at the German schools of his native town-
ship. His whole life was devoted to farming, from
which he retired in 1872, residing nearly all the time
in the township in which he was born. In 1836 he
was married in lower Windsor Township to Mary
Luppert, who died in 1873, aged about sixty-two
years, leaving a family of eleven children; Rebec-
ca, Susan, Jacob, Mary, Elizabeth, Peter, Rachel,
Michael, Daniel, Levi (deceased) and Sarah (de-
ceased). The family belong to the German Reformed
Church. David Newcomer was born in Hellam
Township in 1841. His parents were John and Lena
(Lehman) Newcomer, of York County, and of En-
glish and German descent, respectively. He was
brought up on the farm and educated in the ptiblic
schools. Learning the shoe-making trade, he has
followed it ever siuee. He was married, in May. 1870,
to Elizabeth Dietz, and had two children: Annie and
Sadie, deceased. Mr. Newcomer was a school di-
rector one year.

WILLIAM DIETZ, the eldest of the three sons
of Frederick and Martha M. (Strickler) Dietz, of
York County, was born in Hellam Township, March
25, 1847, and received a good common school edu-
cation. He has always followed the occupa,tion of
farming, in Hellam Township.,. In October, 1877,
he was married to Fannie Baer, daughter of John
and Leah Baer, of York County, and has had born
to him three children; Amos, Leah and Paul.
- ANDREW J. DUDEN was born at York, Penn.
January 25, 1841, and is the only child of John A
and Sarah (Jack) Duden. His father died in 1846
aged forty-seven years, but his mother is still living,
aged about eighty-two years. He came to Wrights
ville, in 1847, and remained about ever since, receiv
ing his early education here. At the age of fifteen
he began learning the trade of wheelwright, and
worked at it until twenty-two yeara of age, except-
ing the time he .served in the army. September 28
1861, he enlisted at Harrisburg, in Company I



Seventy-sixth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and
served eighteen months in the department of the
South. At Pocataligo, he was wounded by a rifle ball
in the right cheek. He carried the ball for six yeare
in his neck, when it was discovered that it had lodged
against his collar bone, and was removed. On ac-
count of the wound, he lay in thq hospital five
months, and finally was discharged on account of
disability. He was virtually sergeant-major at the
time he was wounded, but did not receive the
appointment until after his discharge. In 1870, he
engaged in the planing-mill business at Wrights-
ville,' in company with Mr. Zorbaugh, in which
business he is engaged at the present day. He
was one of the organizers of the Wrightsville Hard-
ware Company, and is the present secretary; also of
the Wrightsville and Chanceford TurnjDike Com-
pany and of the Wrightsville Hall Association, and is
director of the latter. He has held various borough
offices; burgess, councilman and school director, for
several terms. November 24, 1864, he was married
at Wrightsville. to Emma Mann of the same bor-
ough, and has had three children: Charles P., Sally
M., and Ralph. Mrs. Duden is a member of the
Presbyterian Church. Mr. Duden is a Mason, a
member of the I. O. O. P.. and officer of the day of
the G. A. R. He sold out the planing-mill, April 1,
1884, and is going to Columbia, to engage in pulver-
izing rock flint. He is also proprietor of a cigar
box factory, and manufactures annually about 225,-
000 boxes, employing about twenty hands.

GEORGE D. E BERT, whose portrait appears in
this work, was born in Manchester Township,
December 34, 1824; his parents were Michael and

! Lydia (Diehl) Ebert, of York County, and of Ger-

[ man descent. Thej; had five children, of whom
George D. is the third. He was brought up on a
farm in Spring Garden Township, and waseducated
at the public schools. At the age of twenty-three
years he left home, and in 1849 was married to Sarah
Smyser, daughter of Michael Smyser, who has borne
him three children: William Wintield, Amanda and
Agnes, Mrs. Ebert died March 19, 1884, aged fifty-
nine years. Mr Ebert removed to Hellam Township
in 1850, on a farm of 185 acres, upon which he has
resided since. He has held every township office,
and in 1880 represented the countj; in the State con-
vention. As guardian and administrator he has-
been very successful in settling up estates. He was
one of the organizers of the Wrightsville Hardware
Company, the Wrightsville Furnace, of the First
National Bank (of which he is director), and of the

, Wrightsville Star and the True Democrat at
York; he is also a member of the Riverside Lodge,

j A. F. 1& A. M., and of the I. O. O. P.,
and the family are members of the Lutheran
Church. In 1867 Mr. Ebert made a voyage to.
Europe and remained there several months. His
father. Michael Ebert, was in the war of 1812, and

, held a commission as colonel. Mr. Ebert is also-
very largely engaged in raising and dealing in tobac-
co. A Republican in politics, he stands very high
in his community, and enjoys the respectof all who
know him.

WILLIAM EMENHEISER was born in Lower
Windsor Township, August 31, 1846, to Samson
and Mary Eraenheiser, of German descent. His ru-
dimentary education was received at the public
schools, during his early life on the farm. In 1864
he taught a term, and the following summer he at-
tended the Normal School at Millersville; then at-
tended the Normal Institute at York two terms;
then in 1869 returned to Millersville for one term,
and the same year received his professional certifi-
cate; in 1871 he received his permanent certificate.
He has taught public school sixteen terms, and three
terms of select school. August 12, 1869, he married
Elizabeth, daughter of Charles and Magdalena



BIOGRArHlCAL SKETCHES.



77



Sprenkle, and of the seven children born to this
union four are living: Willie Edwin, Maggie, Anna
and Edith. Mr. and Mrs. Emenheiser are members
of the Lutheran Church at Kreutz Creek; he has
charge of the church property of about ten acres,
which he keeps under cultivation, and is sexton and
organist, as well as assistant superintendent of the
Sunday-school; he is also agent for the White Sew-
ing Machine Company.

JOHN A. EMIG was born in Hellam Township,
March 13, 1851. He was reared on the home farm
in Hellam Township, and received his education in
the district schools; until he was twenty-five years
old he assisted his father on the farm, after which
he began burning lime. At the death of his father,
in 1877, he was appointed one of the executors of
the estate, and has managed the settlement until
the present day. In the spring of 1881 he pur-
chased the farm of 133^ acres, upon which he now
resides. January 8, 1880, he was married to Clara
Strickler, daughter of Henry Strickler, of Spring
Garden. They have had three children: Florence,
Henry (deceased) and Walter.

HENRY W. EMIG, a prominent young farmer,
was born in Hellam Township January 20, 1849.
His parents were Eli and Magdalena (Crider) Emig,
of York and Lancaster Counties respectively, and
of German descent, and parents of ten children, of
whom Henry W. is the second. He was reared on
the farm and educated at the public schools. At
the age of twenty-two he began farming for him-
self on the place which he now owns and occupies.
His father, who died in 1877, aged fifty-eight years,
owned six large farms at the time of his death; his
mother still lives in Hellam Township, aged about
sixty-two years. Three sisters and four brothers
reside in York County, the latter engaged in farm-
ing. The farm upon which Mr. Emig resides, was
purchased by him in October, 1883; besides this, he
owns five farms, which came from his father. He
is much interested in educational matters and pub-
lic improvements, and like the family, belongs to
the Reformed Church.

JOHN W. GABLE was born in Windsor Town-
ship, York County, June 4, 1847, and is the seventh
of nine children, and the third son of Jacob and
Annie M. (Jackson) Gable, of York County, and of
German and English descent, respectively. The
first thirteen years he spent on his father's farm,
and from that time until twenty-two years of age,
was engaged as clerk in different mercantile estab-
lishments in York County. He was educated at
the common schools and one term at the commer-
cial school at Poughkeepsie, New York. Between
the age of eleven and thirteen years, he worked at
shoe-making and learned the trade. At the time he
began the mercantile business for himself, in 1869,
be also began manufacturing cigars, and now -man-
ufactures and handles about 2,000,000 to 3,000,000
of cigars annually. In connection with his mer-
cantile business he owns and works a farm in
Spring Garden Township. Mr. Gable is one of
the organizers of the Eureka Building and Loan
Association of York. He was married Septem-
ber 33, 1875, in Hellam Township, to Elizabeth
Hiestand, daughter of Henry A. Hiestand. To
this union were born two children; a daugh-
ter, Susan Hiestand, and a son, Chauncey E. ,
who died August 4, 1881, aged about six months.
He is a member of the Lutheran Church at Kreutz
Creek; superintendent of the Sunday-school, and is
an enterprising and very popular business man. In
1874 he was appointed postmaster at Hellam, which
office he still holds.

JACOB GOHN, son of George and Magdalena
Gohn, of Hellam Township, was born November
20, 1825; is of German descent, and was reared on
I the home farm. In March, 1847, he began butcher-



ing in partnership with Thomas Harris, but one
year later dissolved the partnership and united
with his brother, John Gohn, with whom for seven
years he was engaged in the same business, and one
year in the cattle trade. Prom 1856 to 1867 he was
in the mercantile trade under the firm name of
Heppenstall & Gohn, and for two years thereafter
was with Levi and George Lehman, under the firm
name of Gohn & Lehman. William Witman then
came in and business continued until 1871 under the

I style of Gohn, Lehman &Co., and then was changed
to Gohn & Witman; as such it continued until

j March, 1876, since when Jacob Gohn has been in bus-
iness alone, carrying a large stock of groceries, dry
goods, boots, shoes, hardware, etc., having rebuilt
and enlarged his storeroom in 1879. With Mr.
James Cook, Mr. Gohn was the originator of the
Wrightsville National Bank in 1862, of which he is
a director, as well as director of the Wrightsville
Hardware Company; he was also a large stockholder
in the furnace. January 11, 1855, he married Mar-
tha, daughter of John and Sarah Heppenstall, and
of the seven children born to this union, the only
son is dead, and six daughters living: Sarah, Mary
Martha, Carrie May, Laura Silvers, Minnie and
Nellie Levingston. Mr. and Mrs. Gohn are mem-
bers of the Lutheran Church, and Mr. Gohn of
Riverside Lodge, No. 503, A. P. & A. M. Mrs.
Martha Gohn is of English descent; her parents
came from England about 1812.

WILLIAM F. HIESTAND was born in Spring
Garden Township, May 4, 1814. His parents were
Abraham and Nancy (Pitts) Hiestand, of Lancaster
County, were of German descent, and had a family
of four sons and four daughters, of whom William
.F. was the youngest son and seventh child. There
are at present only our subject, one brother (Abra-
ham), and one sister (Mrs. Wilson) living. Mr.
Hiestand was reared on a farm and received his
education in the district schools of York County.
In 1866 he was married, in Lancaster, to Rebecca
Doll of York County, and of German descent, and
to their union were born eight children: Herby A.,
Annias P., William, Mary E., Susanna, Franklin C,
Bird J. and Margaret. Mr. Hiestand came to Hel-
lam Township in 1866, owns thirty-eight acres in
Hellam Township and 307 acres in Heidelberg
Township, is retired at present on his homestead in
Hellam Township, and owes his prosperous condi-
tion to his own energy and industry. He is a very
liberal man, especially to churches and benevolent
organizations, and takes a great interest in school
matters, having been a school director. He has at
present eight grandchildren living in York County.
ISAAC HINKLE, son of Henry and Sarah
Hinkle, of Lancaster County, was born March 4,
1833, grew to manhood on the home farm and was
educated at the district school. Por five years,



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 179 of 218)