John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 180 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 180 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


from 1858, he farmed for Hahn & Himes, at Wood-
stock, and then, in 1863, moved to Mr. Miflin's place,
known as the "Woodbine Farm." In 1879 he
bought his present place of about 183 acres, on
which are a good stone dwelling and a large bank
barn, and here he largely carries on farming and
also dairying. In 18.58 he married Elizabeth,
daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth Kauffman of Lan-
caster County. Besides being a successful agricul-
turist, Mr. Hinkle is a stockholder in the Wrights-
ville and Chanceford turnpike company, and in the
Wrightsville Hardware Company. Mrs. Hinkle is a
member of the Lutheran Church at Wrightsville.

DANIEL L. HOKE was born in Hellam Town-
ship, August 33, 1849. His parents were George
and Jane (Kendrick) Hoke, of York and Philadel-
phia, respectivelj', and of German descent. They
had five children, of whom Daniel is the youngest.
He was brought up in a hotel and has always followed
the hotel business. November 10,1875,he was married



4



WRIGHTSYILLE BOROUGKT AND HELLAM TOAVNSHIP.



at Columbia.Penn., to Pauline E. Baker, daughterof
Peter and Susan 0. (Trainer) Baker, of INlarietta
and Columbia, Penn. , and has had born to him four
children: Daniel, Helen (deceased), Jane and Teresa.
' Mr. Hoke is a Master Mason and a very enthusiastic
and popular Democrat. He has thrice been elected
a member of the council of Wrightsville, and is a
member at present. He was one of the organizers
of the Wrightsville Hardware Company. August 1,
1884, he purchased and opened the Union Hotel at
Wrightsville.

SAMUEL F. HOLLINGER was born in York
Township, near Dallastown, May 16. 1844. His
parents were Daniel and Elizabeth (Flinchbaugh)
HoUinger. He was reared on the home farm and
educated at the* district schools. In the spring of
1865 he went to Lancaster County and farmed about
one year, when he returned to York Township, and
assisted his father on the farm for two years. In
the fall of 1868 he began learning the trade of mill-
wright with Jonathan Geesey, of Dallastown; re-
mained with him for two years, and then worked at
his trade for four years. In 1874 he began milling
at Henry's Mill, in Hopewell Township, where he
remained two years, going from there to Yost's
Mill in York Township for two years, then to the
Ness Mill in Springfield Township for two years;
then to the Tunnel Mill in the same township for
one year; then to Diehl's Mill near York for three
years, and in April. 1884, came to Strickler's Mill
near Hellam. where he is at present engaged. He
was married February 33, 1878, to Emeline Lehman,
daughter of J. W. Lehman of York County, and
has had three children born to him; Lizzie (de-
ceased), Millie and Annie (deceased).

WILLIAM J. HOUCK, justice of the peace,
was born in York City, April 20, 1855. His parents
were John and Genevieve Houck, of Germany, who
had seven children, of whom William J. is the
youngest. He remained in York with his parents
until 1866, when he went with them to Baltimore,
where he attended the Catholic schools. In 1869 he
returned to York, and began learning the trade of
shoe-making with Philip H. Amig, served an ap-
prenticeship three years and six months, and then
worked for himself for three vears. He was mar-
ried February 5, 1875, to Mary A. Cramer, daughter
of Cbarles Cramer, of York, and to this union three
children have been born; William J., Charles E.
and Fannie L. In March. 1876, he removed to Des
Moines, Iowa, where he followed his trade but a
short time, returning again to Hellam Township,
where he opened a shoe store, in which business he
is at present enga,ged. In the spring of 1878 he was
elected justice of the peace of Hellam Township,
and was re-elected in 1883. The farailv belong to
the United Brethren Church, and are now co-op-
erating in the construction of a new church edifice
for that denomination in the village of Hellam.

JAMES L. JAMISON. M. D., son of William
and Catherine Jamison, of Wrightsville, was born
January 20. 1855. Until the age of fourteen his
boyhood was passed at Wrightsville; he then went
to Philadelphia, where he was in the employ of Dr.
F. Getchell until seventeen years of age, when he
returned to Wrightsville, and entered the employ of
Kerr, Cook & Co., lime burners. October. 29, 1873,
he entered the preparatory department of Lincoln
University, graduated therefrom in June, 1875, and
the following September entered the collegiate de-
partment, from which he graduated June 3, 1879.
His summer vacation of 1875 was spent in the Cats-
kill Mountains; that of 1876 at Newport; that
of 1877 at Cape May, and that of 1878 was
spent in canvassing Newark and Elkton, Md. In
June, 1879, he returned to Wrightsville, studied
medicine under Dr. D. A. Stubbs, of Oxford, Ches-
ter County, entered Jefferson Medical College in the



fall of 1879, graduated March 30, 1883, and in June
began his'profession in his native town, where he
has since built up a large practice. August 27,
1884, he married Francenia, daughter of Peter and
Carrie Baldwin, of Lower Oxford, Chester County.
The Doctor is a member of the Presbyterian
Church of Lincoln, and the Alumni of Jefferson
Medical College. He has had the care of his mother
since boyhood, his father beinginfirm.

W. H. KERR was born in Wrightsville. October
19, 1828. His parents were Matthew and Jane (Wil-
son) Kerr, natives of Ireland and York respectively,
and the mother of Scotch descent. They bad a
family of eight sons and one daughter, of whom
William H. is the sixth. He was educated at
Wrightsville, and at the age of nineteen years lie
commenced boating on the Susquehanna and Tide
Water Canal, and continued it for fifteen years. In
1861 he began the business of lime burning under
the firm name of Robert W. Kerr & Co. In 1865
the firm changed to James L. Kerr & Co., and in
1871 to Kerr. Cook & Co., in 1879 to Kerr, Weitzel
& Co. During all these changes, the subject of this
sketch retained his interest in the firm, being most
of the time on the road, selling or collecting for
the firm. October 25, 1857, he was married to Eliza
Beaverson of Wrightsville, and has twelve children,
seven of whom are living: Kate, Sarah B., Gertrude,
Matilda G., Eliza B., Harry B. and Sewell. Mr.
Kerr and family belong to the Presbyterian Cliurch.
Although living all his life in York County, he has
never been drawn as a juror, nor had he ever been in
court as a witness in any case. About half his
time is spent in traveling, in the interest of the
firm. His father died in 1859, aged sixty-eight years.

JACOB KLINE was born in Lower Windsor
Township, May 6, 1842. His parents were Henry
and Eliza (Flury) Kline of York County, and of
German descent. They had nine children, of whom
Jacob is the fifth. He remained on the farm until
twenty-two years of age, receiving his education at
the public schools. When twenty-six years of
age he began the business of cigar-making at
Wrightsville, which he followed for a num-
ber of years. In 1373, in company with Henry
Keller of Lower Windsor, he began the man-
ufacture of cigars at Wrightsville, and has
followed it since with success. In 1876 he built the
large brick building on Hellam Street in Wrights-
ville, where the firm have their factory. They at first
employed about twenty hands in the factory, but
now have about fifty-three hands. In 1880 he
erected an additional brick building, remodeling
the first and raising the whole to a three-story
building, in which he opened, in tlie same year, a
general merchandising business. They manufac-
tured about 2,500,000 cigars in 1883. He was mar-
ried at York, in 1867, to Eliza Lebernight, of York
County, and has had six children born to him: John
Henry (deceased). Martha Jane, William Edward,
Howard Smith (deceased), Maggie May (deceased)
and Eliza Bertha. Mr. Kline is a member of the I.
O. O. F., and with his wife, of the Methodist
Church. He was twice member of the Wrightsville
Borough council.

SAMUEL R. KOCHER was born in York
County, May 18, 1844. His parents were Christian
and Mary (Abel) Kocher, of German descent, who
had three children, of whom Samuel R. is the eld-
est. He was brought up on a farm, and educated
at the public schools; he followed farming until
1881, although he began other business for himself
before he was twenty-one years of age. In 1870,
he began a cigar manufactory in Lower Windsor
Township, and in 1871 he opened up in Wrighls-
ville. but continued the country factory until 1879,
In 1878, he erected the building which he has since
occupied at Wrightsville. He is also engaged in



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



packing tobacco and is considered the largest
dealer in the leaf in the county. He packs about
1,000 cases of tobacco, and manufactui'es from
4,000,000 to .5.000,000 cigars annually, employing
about 100 hands. He was married May 26, 1864, to
Susan, daughter of Daniel and Anna (Sherick)
Lefer. of Lower Windsor Township, and has three
children; Emma D., Samuel C. and Annie M. Mr.
Kocher was the originator of the Wrightsville &
Chanceford Turnpike Company, of which he was
the first president, and still holds that office. He
owns about fifty acres of land about three miles
below Wrightsville, and two shad fisheries, and
also has one-half interest in 345 acres of choicejland
in Orange County, Fla., containing a grove of 200
bearing orange trees, and within convenient rail-
road facilities. He is treasurer of the Riverside




Lodge of Masons, and a member of S. of T., and
was a judge of elections and assessor, and is alto-
gether a prominent and active business man. Mr.
Kocher's grandfather, George Kocher, came from
Wurtemberg in 1817, bringing with him his
brother John and sister Rosaha, and, arriving at
Philadelphia, he moved to Peckway Creek, Lan-
caster County, where he lived several years, when he
moved to Hellam Township, York County, (near
Stoner's Station). He lived several years in Hel-
lam, when he again moved to Lower Windsor
Township, on the road leading from Wrightsville to
Margaretta Furnace. Mr. Kocher's father was
born at Peckway, Lancaster County, in 1818. Mr.
Kocher has three uncles: George, living in Perry
County; Emanuel, living near Dayton, Ohio, and
Jacob, living in Nebraska. He also" has a brother,



Henry P., living in Dayton, Ohio; a sister married
to Mr. Shultz, is living in Lower Windsor Town-
ship. The portrait of Mr. Kocher appears else-
where as a representative of the tobacco interest of
York County.

AARON M. LEHMAN was born in Springfield
Township Api-il 3, 1862. He is the second son and
third child of a family of eleven children, and was
reared and educated in Springfield Township. At
twenty years of age he began learning the miller's
trade with S. F. HoUinger, and at present is milling
vt Strickler's Mill. He was married October 4,
a883, to Almira A. Gruver, daughter of Peter Gru-
ler of Paradise Township.

GEORGE E. LOUCKS was born in Spring Garden
Township December 10, 1850. His parents were Z.
K. Loucks and Sarah Ann (Ebert) Loucks, of York
County, of whom he was the fourth
child. His youth was spent at farm-
ing, and his education was received
at York, and one term at the Penn-
sylvania College at Gettysburgh, at
which institution he prepared him-
self for his profession.but owing to
feeble health was obliged to abandon
his studies, and until his twenty-
eighth year he worked about the
farm. In 1878 he was appointed
agent of the Pennsylvania Railroad,
at Hellam, which position he has
held ever since, devoting his whole
time and attention to it. He was
married in his native township
March 7, 1878, to Mary J. S. Myers,
daughter of Samuel Myers, Mr. and
Mrs. Loucks belong to the Lutheran
Church at York, at which place also
his father, Zachariah K. Loucks,
president of the First National
Bank, and one of the wealthiest
men of York County, has his resi-
dence.

CAPT. FRANK J. MAGEE,
justice of the peace, was born at
Wrightsville, December 8, 1837, and
is the second son of James F. and
Rosanna(Hinkle)Magee, of Chester
and York Counties respectively, and
of Irish and German descent. He
received his primary education at
the public schools of Wrightsville,
and in 1855 he entered Georgetown
College (D. C.) and graduated in
1859. Returning to Wrightsville he
took charge of all the public schools
for two years as principal. Novem-
ber 28, 1861, he entered the military
service as second lieutenant of Com-
pany I, Seventy-sixth Pennsylvania
Volunteer Infantry (Col. Power), and
served three years and three months.
He was promoted to first lieutenant and captain, and
served on the staffs of Gens. Terry. Ferry. Ames and
Strong, participating in the battle of Olustee, Fla.,
the Sumpter campaign, and all battles along the
coast, except Beaufort, N. C. At the battle of
Cold Harbor, in 1864, he joined the Army of the Po-
tomac, and served with that army until the expira-
tion of his term of service. Returning to Wrights-
ville, he again took charge of the schools till 1871,
when in the fall of that year he was elected to the
legislature from York County on the Democratic
ticket. On his return he was elected justice of the
peace and has held that office since. At present he
is regulator of the .borough, president of the
Wrightsville Hardware Company, director of the
Ayrightsville Iron Company, has been secre-
tary of the school board for the past nine years.



WKIGHTSVILLE BOROUGH AND HELLAM TOWNSHIP.



and captain of the "Wrightsville Grays" National
Guard since 1872; is commander of Post 370, G. A.
P., J. W. of Riverside Lodge, No. 503, A. P. & A.
M., and was also editor of the Wrightsville Star in
1867-68-69-70. He was married at Wrightsville
August 6, 1867, to Martha H. Smith, daughter of
R. W. Smith, Esq., and has two children, Robert S.
and Helen M.

HENRY MILLER was born in Lower Windsor
Township June 10. 1823. His parents were Henry
and Magdalena (Smith) Miller, of Lower Windsor
Township, who had six children, of whom our sub-
ject is the youngest. He was reared and educated in
the same township, and at eighteen years of age he
began learning the carpenter's trade with his
brother, George Miller, with whom he remained two
years. He followed his trade for twenty-five years,
and then began farming in Lower Windsor Town-
ship, which he continued four years, and then com-
menced building panel fences, at which he is still
engaged. In 1888 he came to Hellam Township
and purchased a small farm, and engaged in the
manufacture of cigars, a business he had previously
conducted in connection with his other enterprises,
having now an experience therein of about twenty
years. His present output is about 300,000 per
year. He was married to Catherine Bellinger, and
has had five children, three of whom are living. He
and family are members of the Lutheran Church.

WILLIAM H. MILLER was born in Windsor
township April 18, 1838. His parents were Peter
and Magdalena (Deckman)Miller,and his grandpar-
ents Peter and Mary (Murphy) Miller. His great- ,
grandparents came to York County during the Rev-
olution. He is the eldest son and fourth child in
a family of seven children, and was educated in the
public schools of his neighborhood. York County
Academy, and an academy m Lower Chanceford. For
fourteen terms he taught school in Lower Windsor
Township, after which he followed the Tide Water
Canal for four years. In 1865 he began farming in
Lower Windsor Township and continued for seven
years He was married January 21, 1864, to Leah
Stine, daughter of Valentine and Sarah Stine, of
York County, and has had born to him eight chil-
dren: Minnie, Preston H., Arthur C, Olivia (de-
ceased), Persifer O. (deceased), Jennie, Winfield S.
H. and Addie. In the spring of 1875 he removed
to Wrightsville, where he was engaged in auction-
eering for two years; he then removed to Hellam
Township where he at present resides, dealing in
sewing machines, agricultural implements, fertili-
zers, and is also engaged in auctioneering and fire
insurance business.

AMBROSE MILLER, son of George and Susan
Miller of Lower Windsor Township, was born Feb-
ruary 19, 1860, and passed his boyhood on the farm,
attending school during the winters. From tlie age of
eighteen years until his majority, he served an ap-
prenticeship at blacksmithing with Henry S. Hein-
dle of Hellam Township. In 1881, he came to the
village and worked for a year for James Ray, whom
he then bought out, and is now receiving an en-
couraging patronage in custom work.

JOHN W. MINNICH, was born in Wrightsville,
Penn., January 16, 1849. His parents were Michael
and Anna (Upp) Minnich, of York County, and of
German nationality. They had four children, of
whom John W. is the second. He spent his youth
mostly at school, and at seventeen years of age he
entered Pennsylvania College at Gettyshurgh,
where he remained about two years studying for
the ministry, which he afterward abandoned. In
1868 he went West as a carpenter, stopping two
years at Pittsburgh, Penn. He drifted as far west as
Atchison, Kas., where he remained nine months;
he also was eighteen months at Caledonia, Ohio.
On his return from the West, he again remained two



years at Pittsburgh, as assistant foreman in a door
and sash factory. In the winter of 1874, he returned
to Wrightsville, and engaged in the undertaking
and carpentering business, which he followed until
1882, when he added the furniture business. Re-
tiring, however, from the furniture business in Feb-
ruary, 1884, he in company with R. W. Weller, pur-
chased the Wrightsville Builders' Mill, and from
April. 1884, has carried on that business. He is also
interested in the Wrightsville Hardware Company,
aud was one of its organizers. February 12, 1874,
he was married at Abingdon, Md., to Emma Mc-
Comas, who bore him one child (Anna), and died
March 7, 1876, aged twenty-three years. Mr. Min-
nich is a member of the Lutheren Church, and of the
Masonic order, and has served as school director
three years, and borough assessor for two years.

SAMUEL M. MYERS, was born in West Hemp-
fleld Township, Lancaster Co., Penn., December
25, 1885. He was the fourth of the twelve children
of Jacob and Magdalena(Myers)Myers,of Lancaster
County, where he was brought up, receiving a good
common school education. At twelve years of age
he began to work on the farm of Andrew Brubaker,
and remained with him six 3'ears, after which he
began to learn painting with Samuel Coflfman,
which he continued for about one year. October
8, 1856, he was married to Fannie Kuhns, daughter
of Jacob Kuhns of West Hempfield Township, and
was blessed with a family of four boys and five
girls— two boys and two girls still living. After bis
marriage he worked three years for John Bowers
of Lancaster County. On the 5th of August, 1864,
he enlisted in Company A, Two Hundred and Third
Pennsylvania Volunteers, under Capt. J. B. Bauch-
man, and took part in the engagements at New
Market road, Virginia, and at Fort Fisher, N. C.
He was honorably discharged in June, 1865, and
returned to Lancaster County, where he was en-
gaged in farming and tobacco raising until March,
1881. when he removed to York County, and is at
present engaged in farming and fruit raising. Mr.
Myers is a member of the Osceola Tribe, No. 11, of
R.", M.. of Columbia, Lancaster County, is a mem-
ber of Post 123. G. A. R., and was at one lime con-
stable of West Hempfield Township.

GEORGE A. REBMAN, M. D., was born in
West Manchester Township, York County, JijJy 6,
1853. His parents were Jacob and Catherine (Hein-
dle) Rebman, of Pennsylvania, and of German and
English descent, respectively. He was brought up
on a farm, and educated at the public schools and
at the York County Academy. After leaving school
he taught in public schools till about twenty-two
years of age, when he entered the office of Dr.
Hay. at York, and began to read medicine, which
he continued for something over a year. He then
entered the University of Maryland, at Baltimore,
and graduated in 1876, with the degree of M. D. In
May, of the same year, he located at Wrightsville,
where he has since practiced his profession with
great success. He was married January 13, 1880, at
Wrightsville, to Ella K. Detwiler, daughter of
David Detwiler, and has two children— David and
one unnamed. The Doctor is very much attached
to his profession, has acquired a lucrative practice,
is a prominent member of the Lutheran Church,
and is the owner of a magnificent home property in
Wrightsville.

S. L. REISINGER was born in Hellam Town-
ship. November 24, 1852. His parents were Samuel
and Elizabeth (Smith) Reisinger, of York County,
who had seven children, of whom S. L. was the sec-
ond son. He received his education at the common
schools, and, in 1876, began learning the trade of
cigar maker in Hellam Township, which occupation
he has followed since. November 4, 1880, he was
married to Arabella R. Upp, daughter of Jacob and



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



Mary Upp, of Wrightsville, aud has two children:
Elsie B. and May E. Mrs. Reisinger Is a member
of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

LUTHER L. REWALT, M. D., was born in
Middletown, Penn., December 25, 1839. His par-
ents were AVilliam and Catherine (McKinley) Re-
wait, of Pennsylvania, and of German and Scotch-
Irish descent, respectively. They had only this one
son and one daughter. Until the age of ten Luther
L. attended the public schools, and the following
five years at Eman's Institute at Middletown. At
the age of fifteen he entered the preparatory school
at Litiz Academy, where he remained four years.
He then began reading medicine at Halifax, Penn.,
with Dr. Wright, and then read with Dr. Filbert, at
Columbia. At the age of twenty he entered
the medical department of the University of Penn-
sylvania, at Philadelphia, from which institution



the first surgeon's commission issued by Gov. Cur-
tin, and was assigned to the Twenty-fifth Pennsyl-
vania Volunteer Infantry, a three montlis' regi-
ment, and served until the end of his term. Return-
ing to Wrightsville he practiced medicine until
August, 186-1, when he was appointed acting assist-
ant surgeon. United States army, by Dr. John
Campbell, United States army surgeon at Philadel-
phia, which position he. held but a few months.
Returning to Wrightsville he resumed the practice
of his profession until January 27, 1865, when he
entered the Twenty-first Pennsylvania Volunteer
Cavalry, as assistant surgeon, and remained to the
end of the war. He again returned to Wrightsville,
where he has since located, practicing his profes-
sion, except one year, which he spent in Philadel-
phia. He was married April 6, 1863, to Mary Jane
Magee, daughter of. James F. Magee (deceased), of
Wrightsville, and had five children; James W.
Mary F., Annie M., William H. (deceased), and
Francis J. The family are members of the Method-
ist Episcopal Church. The Doctor is surgeon of
the G. A. R. Post, at Wrightsville, and a past mem-
ber of the school board. He is a man of fine scho-
lastic attainments, and devotedly attached to his
profession, and is respected by all.

REV. L. K. SECRIST, eldest son of Wifliam
and Salome Secrist, was born in Conewago Town-
ship, York County, February 6, 1829. When he
was five years old his parents moved to Warrington
Township, same county. There he worked on the
farm, until preparation for the gospel ministry
occupied his time and attention. One year was
passed in study with Rev. James M. Harkey, pastor
of the Lutheran Church at Rossville, four years in
Pennsylvania College. Gettysburwh, and one year
in the study of theology with Rev. D. Sell, at
Berrysburgli, Dauphin Co., Penn. He entered the
ministry in 1855, and up to the present served the
following charges: Fisherville, Dauphin County;
Salona, Clinton County; Boalsburg, Centre County;
Blain, Perry County; Wriglitsville and Kreutz
Creek. York County — the last since 1872. He was
united in marriage with Miss Catherine, daughter
of David Hobaugh, September 4, 1856. Death hav-
ing severed the sacred bond, he married Miss Mary
J., daughter of William Howard, May 27, 1862.
Of ten children, four sons— Arthur H., Maurice B.,
Mason E. Orville K. — are living.

GEORGE K. SCHENBERGER was born in
Clark County, Ohio. September 3, 1841. His par-
ents were Samuel and Sarah (KaufCelt) Schenberger,
of German descent. Their ancestry were among
the first settlers of the " Canadochley " Valley,
and his parents emigrated to Ohio, probably in
1839. George K. is the eldest of three sons, and



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 180 of 218)