John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 181 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 181 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


spent his younger days on the farm, but at the age
of ten years came to Wrightsville, where he entered



the public schools, having left Ohio when five or six
years old. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Harris-
burg in Company B, One Hundred and Thirtieth
Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and served nine
months. He was promoted to orderly sergeant, and
participated with the Army of the Potomac in the
battles of Antietam, Fredericksburg and Chancel-
lorsville. In the last named he was wounded (May
3, 1863), being shot through the shoulder. Return-
ing, he entered the Columbia Bank at Columbia in
1864 for three months, but in 1865 engaged as clerk
in the First National Bank at Wrightsville, and in
1873 was elected cashier, which position he still
holds. In politics he is a Republican.

CALVIN G. SMITH was born at Wrightsville
November 27, 1839. His parents were Robert W.
and Martha (Herr) Smith, of Pennsylvania, and of
German descent. They had eight children, five
sons and three daughters, of whom Calvin G. is the
fourth. He was brought up in Wrightsville and
finished his schooling before he was fourteen years
of age. He then spent one year in a store at
Wrightsville and one in an iron foundry. At the
age of sixteen he entered the oflnce of the York
County Star at Wrightsville, which paper was
started, owned and edited by his father. He there
learned the printing trade, and followed it a few-
years. In 1861, in company withW. S. Boyd, he
engaged in the mercantile business, in which he
retained an interest for about three years. During
the war he served a term in the army, and after the
war he, in company with Capt. Magee, bought out
the Ster and ran it a few years, selling out to his
partner and engaging in the coal business in 1872 at
Wrightsville. He was one of the incorporators of
the Wrightsville & Chanceford Turnpike Company
and the Wrightsville Cemetery Association, and is
secretary of the former and secretary and treasurer
of the latter. In December, 1869, he was married,
in York, to S. Anna Kauffelt, daughter of Henry
Kauffelt, Esq., and has four children: Henry K.,
Robert Grier, Amy Lanius and Paul. He and wife
belong to the Presbyterian Church. In 1874 Mr.
Smith was appointed bank assessor by State Treas-
urer Mackey.

THE STONER FAMILY. Henry Stoner (de-
ceased) was born in Hellam Township, in Decemtjer,
1800. His father was Christian Stoner, and his grand-
father was also Christian Stoner, who settled on a
tract of 177| acres in 1761, which has since been the
Stoner homestead. He attended the subscription
schools of his neighborhood, and was married to
Anna Strickler. They had ten children: Mary, Sarah,
Henry, Samuel, Jacob, Annie, John, Eliza, Rudolph
and Emanuel. His occupation was that of a farmer,
which he followed until his death, from paralysis,
March, 1872. He was a member of the Dunkard
Church. Henry Stoner was born November 30,
1830, and educated at the common schools. He
served as a school director for two years. Novem-
ber 3, 1857 he was married to Sarah Farhinger,
daughter of David and Christiana Farhinger, of York
County, aud had eight children, six of whom are
living. John Stoner was born August 7, 1838, and
educated in the common schools. He always took
a lively interest in education, and served in the
school board in Hellam Township for some time.
Emanuel Stoner was born June 23, 1843, received a
good common school education, and later attended
the normal school at Millersvllle for one session. Da-
vid Stoner was born in Hellam Township and was the
youngest son of Christian and Mary (Herr) Stoner,
pioneers of York County.- He was educated in
Hellam Township, and engaged in farming.

JOHN STONER, Sr., was born in Hellam Town-
ship, December 1, 1820. His parents were John and
Magdalena (Strickler) Stoner, of York County, and
of German descent. They had eight children, all



WRIGHTSVILLE BOROUGH AND HELLAM TOWNSHIP.



of whom died except our subject, and a brother.
His life was spent at farming and milling, and his
education was received at the township schools. In
1842 he was married at Lancaster, Penn., to Sarah
Landes, daughter of Samuel Landes, of York
County, and has had born to him sis children:
Anna, Mary, Henry L., John, Jr., Samuel and Ma-
linda. The family belong to the Dunkard Church.
Mr. Stoner has twice been supervisor of Hellam
Township and once assessor.

JOHN STONER. Jr. , son of John and Sarah
Stoner, was born March 30, 1849, was reared a
farmer, and was educated in the public schools.
For several years he assisted in his father's mill,
and in the spring of 1873 took charge of the home
farm. In the fall of 1877 he bought his present
property of sixty acres at Stoner's Station, on which
he has a fine dwelling, a large barn, four tenements,
a blacksmith shop, and a two-story stone warehouse
30.x60 feet, the property costing him about $16,-
000 at public sale. He deals largely in grain,
flour, feed stuff, coal, lime, etc., and leaf tobacco.
October 17, 1872, he married Sarah E., daughter of
Daniel and Sarah Smyser. The result of this union
has been three children: Harry S., Margie E. and
Howard S.

JACOB STRICKLER was born January 6, 1811.
His parents were John and Catharine (Garver)
Strickler, of Hellam Township. He was reared on
the farm in Hellam Township, is the eldest son, and
was educated at subscription schools. He was mar-
ried to Elizabeth Dietz, daughter of George Dietz,
of York County, and had three children: Alfred
(living), Ellen (deceased) and Anna (deceased). The
farm on which he resides contains 190 acres of well



Township, in December, 1821. His parents were
Benjamin and Mary (Freet) Strickler, and had
three sons and five daughters, of whom Benjamin,
Jr. , is the eldest now living. He was brought up on
a farm and educated at the common schools. At
the age of twenty-three he began life for himself.
In 18.54 he was married, in Hellam Township, to
Elnora Bahn, who has borne him six children, one of
whom, Albert W., died at the age of twenty-four
years, the living are Byron B., Edward M.,
Elmer D., Mary E., and Flora R. Mr. Strickler
owns a fine farm of 126 acres; and has held various
Township offices, such as assessor of the township,
judge of elections, inspector, and school director
several terms. Mr. Strickler is a member of the
Reformed Church. Mr. Strickler's ancestors were
among the first persons to obtain permits from Sam-
uel Blunston, agent of the Penns, to settle on this
side of the Susquehanna River. They settled in
Kruetz Creek Valley as early as 1732, and were in
the valley when Capt. Cressapand his band of Mary-
landers encroached upon the right of the Pennsyl-
vania settlers. The father of Mr. Strickler died" in
1866, aged seventy-one years; the mother died in
1876, aged seventy -seven years.

MILTON SULTZBACH was born in Hellam
Township, December 36, 1839. His parents were
Frederick and Lydia (Gibson) Sultzbach, of Hellam
Township, and Cumberland County, and of German
and Scotch descent, respectively. "They had eleven
children, of whom they reared eight. Milton was
the third child. He was educated at the public
school and has worked all his life at farming, and in
a tan yard. At the age of twenty-five he began
business for himself. His father died August 17,
1863, aged forty-nine years, but his mother is still
living and is now sixty-three years old. Mr. Sultz-
bach belongs to an old family of pioneers, and is
now residing on the same homstead, which had
been in the family for many years, and always was
handed down from father to son, as was the present



tannery, of which Milton took charge in 1864, and
which was established by his grandfather. Mr.
Sultzbach is a prominent member of the Masonic
order and is universally respected.

JOHN A. THOMSON. M. D., was born in
Franklin County, Penn., November 3, 1823. His
parents were Alexander J. and Margaret M. (Kerr)

! Thomson, and of Scotch descent. They had a

1 family of five sons and four daughters, one daughter,
only, being older than the subject of this sketch,
who was educated a Fayetteville Academy, spend-
ing part of his time clerking in a store, farming and
teaching the hish school at Fayetteville. While
engaged in teaching he devoted some of his time
to reading medicine, and in 1849 entered Jefferson
Medical College, at Philadelphia, from which he
graduated in 1853, and at once began the practice of
medicine at Wrightsville, where he has since been,

i and holds a high rank in his profession. He was
married at Athens, Penn., May, 1855, to Elizabeth
Satterlee of Bradford County, Penn., and has one
child, John A., who was late resident marine sur-

j geon at Jefferson College, Philadelphia, and Is now

I practicing medicine at Germantown, Penn. Dr.
Thomson is at present surgeon for the Pennsylvania
Railroad, was chief burgess for two years, for a

' number of years school director, and one of the
directors of the Columbia National Bank. His wife
and son are members of the Presbj'terian Church.
He has always enjoyed a large practice in his pro-

i fession, andis one of the influential citizens of his
town.

JOHN E. WEITZEL was born in Hellam Town-
ship February 24, 1828, the only child born to John
and Elizabeth (Pofl) Weitzel. He was brought up
on the farm and educated at the public schools. At
seventeen years of age he began learning the black-
smith trade at Wrightsville, and served as appren-

I tice four years. When about twenty-one years old
he engaged as foreman in Elwine's brickyard, which
position he held until 1859, when he purchased the
yard. In 1865 he engaged in the lime burning
business in addition to brick-making, and continued

! until 1883, when he sold the brickyard, but retained
and continued the lime burning business in the
name of Kerr, Weitzel & Co. In 1850 he was married
at York, Penn., to Carrie Elwine, of York, and had

, eight children, five of whom are living: Henry E.,
John L , Carrie May, Emma L. and George B. Mr.
Weitzel is a very active business man; he is a di-
rector of the First National Bank of Wrightsville.
president of the Wrightsville Hall Association, and
the man who, through his energy, made the latter
enterprise a success. He was school director three
times, and councilman twice. He also owns a
branch lime business in Lancaster County, which he
managed from 1865 to 1875. In 1883 he burned and
handled about 3.50,000 bushels , of lime. He and
wife are members of the Lutheran Church.

WILLIAM WITMAN was born in Dauphin
County March 8, 1839. His parents were John and
Mary(Koutsman) Witman, of Dauphin County, and
of German and English descent. They had twelve
children, of whom William W. was the eighth. He
was brought up on the farm, and spent ten years of
his minority in making bricks. At twenty years of
age he learned the trade of wheelwright, at which
he worked for two years. He then spent seven
years on the Northern Central Railroad as conductor
and division foreman. In 1868 he engaged in the
dry goods business with Jacob Gohn, at Wrights-
ville, but dissolved partnership in 1876. In company
with a brother he then bought out a mercantile
establishment at Wrightsville, which they con-
ducted together two years and a half; his brother
then retiring, he has carried on the business by him-
self since. In 1863 he was married at Chambers-
burg, Penn., to Kate Deck, daughter of Christian



BLOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



Deck, of Chambersburg, Penn., and has had born
to him four children, three of whom are living:
William F., Ida May and Horace M. Mr. Witman
is Past Grand of the Odd Fellows, and he and wife
are members of the Lutheran Church, while he is
superintendent of same Sabbath-school, and elder
in church council.

JOHN WILSON, deceased, was born in 1807
and died in 1860. He was brought up about
Wrightsville and Columbia, and educated at
Wrishtsville. He was railroad contractor in Vir-
ginia at the time of his marriage, in 1839, at York,
to Sarah Hiestand, daughter of Abraham Hiestand,
of York County, and had born to him twelve chil-
dren, one of whom died in infancy, and two after
arriving at age. The living are Mary, John,
Stephen, Webster, Frank, Thomas, Tempest, Emma
and Sarah. In 1844 he removed to Hellam, where
he spent the remainder of his life, dying at the age
of flfty-three years. Mr. Wilson was a prosperous
farmer, and at his deafh left his family well pro-
vided for. His widow is descended from the pioneer
families of York County, and aunt of Gen. A. Hie-
stand Glatz. Mrs. Wilson herself is a woman of
fine accomplishments, rare merits and womanly ex-
cellence.

JACOB WELTZHOFPER, son of Henry and
Catherine WeltzhofEer, of Wrightsville, was born
January 31, 1849, was educated at the public schools,
and in 1869 went to learn printing and journalism
with Magee & Smith, of the Wrightsville Star. In
1874 he joined Mr. W. W. Moore in the publication
of the journal named, and six years later sold his
interest to his partner, and took a commercial course
in the Pierce Business College of Philadelphia. He
next acted as book-keeper for Keller & Kline, of
Wrightsville, for a year and a half, and in 1883 re-
bought the Star, which he still owns and edits to
the entire satisfaction of his subscribers, and the
public in general. October 24, 1883, he married
Eliza H., daughter of Henry and Sarah A. Harris,
of AVrightsville. Mr. and Mrs. Weltzhoffer are
members of the Presbyterian Church, in which
both sing in the choir, and of which Mr. W. is an
elder as well as an active worker in the Siinday-
school. Mr. W. has a good publication, with re-
munerative circulation, is an enterprising, energetic
and liberal citizen, and is a stockholder in the
Wrightsville & Chanceford Pike.



CARROLL TOWNSHIP.

SAMUEL ALTLAND, son of Philip Altland, of
Warrington Township, was born Octobor 38, 1836,
and assisted on the home farm until 18.54, when he
began brick-making, which he followed for nine
years, and then for four years engaged in car-build-
ing at Hanover, this county. In 1869 he began farm-
ing in West Manheim Township, but in 1870 came
to near Williams Grove, in this township, and farmed
until 1874, when he moved to one-half mile south
of Dillsburg, bought from the heirs of John Pentz,
and made brick and farmed until 1880, when he was
eUed sheriff, on which he removed to _ York
County Prison, in order to discharge his official du-
ties. January 34. 1861, he married Lydia, daughter
of Peter and Elizabeth Fickes, of Carroll: of the
eight children born to this union, two died; Philip
Alvin. the eldest, was deputy sheriff under Ms
father the last two years of his term; Jeremiah
Henry was turnkey. At the time of his election to
the shrievealty, Mr. Altland had served four years



as constable, and one term as assessor of Carroll
Township. On retiring from the office of slierilT. in
which he had been ably assisted by Mrs. Altland as
matron, Mr. A. retired to his farm near Dill.sburg,
but soon sold out and moved to the town and
bought a dwelling and livery stable on York Street,
and anotjier dwelling and livery stable on Harris-
burg Street; he also owns a tract of seventeen acres
of woodland in Warrington Township, from which
he is clearing the timber; also a tract of six acres
in Carroll Township, and a flve-acre lot in Dillsburg
Borough, on which he has a brick-yard.

ALFRED D. ALTLAND, first of the three chil-
dren of Daniel A. and Elizabeth Altland, of Me-
chanicsburg, was born October 16. 1857, and is of
German and English descent. From 1872 until
1875 he clerked for J. A. KaufEmann, of Mechanics-
burg, and then embarked in business with his
father, under the firm name of D. A. Altland &
Son. In 1880 he started trade at Lisburn, Cumber-
land County, but in 1883 removed to Dillsburg,
where he now has a large dry goods and grocery]
store, doing a business of $16,000 per annum.,
January 8, 1880, he married Mary E., daughter of;
George and Mary Wilson, of Shepherdstown, Cum-
berland County, and to this union has been born ,
onechild— Lettie— now four years of age.

GEORGE P. ARNOLD, son of Micah and Mary -
Arnold, of this township, was born June 30, 1826,.
and is of German descent. He was reared on a'
farm, butin 1861 entered upon the study of medicine
under Dr. Michael Frees, of Mechanicsburg, with
whom he remained one year, then attended the New
York Home Medical College five months, and also .
received private instruction at BeUevue Hospital.
He became a very successful practitioner, and was
particularly so during the epidemic of diphtheria of
1865andl870. He carried on farming for ten years ia
connection with his practice, owning two farms,,
one of sixty-six acres near Dillsburg, on which he -
resides, and one of seventy-five acres, three miles-
distant. In 18.50 he married Sarah, daughter of'
David and Catherine Law, of Franklin Township,
and. became the father of nine children, six of
whom are living — four boys and two girls. Of the
boys, two are farmers, one is a carpenter, and one
is in business in New York; three are married.
The Doctor and his wife are members of the Frank-
lin Lutheran Church. The Doctor is a school di-
rector, and is a stockholder in the Dillsburg &
Mechanicsburg Railroad, and in the smelting fur-
nace.

W. D. BAILEY, M. D., is a representative phy-
sician of York County, and a descendant of cele-
brated pioneer ancestry. The grandfather of our
subject. John Bailey, was of Scotch-Irish descent.
His wife was Mary Nelson, of English descent-
Thej' were both born in Monaghan Township.where- .
they resided until their deaths. He was a farmer,
surveyor, and a worthy citizen. The father of our-
subject, S. N. Bailey, attained prominent distinc-
tion. He was born in Monaghan Township in 1809,
reared upon a farm and educated at the common,
schools. He was a close student and a great read-
er, which, with high natural ability and keen power -
of observation, enabled him to acquire a liberal ed-
ucation. Learning surveying in early years, he
made it the principal business of his life. About
1835 he came to Carroll Township, locating in Dills.-
burg, where he resided the remainder of his days.
He was engaged in farming for a short period, sub-
sequently devoting his attention to surveying and;
school teaching. 'He served several years as county
surveyor, and for a number of years was a justice of
peace. In 1848 lie was elected to represent his dis-
trict in the State legislature^ serving three years
with ability and honor. Col. Bailey was also con-
nected with one of the early mili|ia companies from.



CARROLL TOWJSrSHIP.



which he derived his title, and by which he was
always called. In 1836 he was married to Miss
Margaret Mumper, daughter of John and Jane
(Beelman) Mumper, a native of Carroll Township,
and also a descendant of a well known and old time
family. Three children were born to them : John
M., a leading practitioner of law at Huntington,
Penn. ; D. Bigler, a lawyer of ability (died in York
in 1881), and the subject of this sketch. Col. Bailey
was a clerk under Ad.it. Gen. Banks, and his suc-
cessor at Harrisburg for eight years. He entered
the service in 1863, and was elected lieutenant-col-
onel of the Twelfth Pennsylvania Reserves, and was
in service nearly one year when he resigned. Col.
Bailey died at Dillsburg in 1873, after a long and
useful career. His widow resides at Dillsburg. W.
D. Bailey was born in Dillsburg January 3, 1837.
He I'eceived a good education, attending the schools
of his native town, and also received the advantage
of the Tuscarora Academy. After teaching one
term he began the study of medicine with Drs. G.
L. & J. M. Shearer, of Dillsburg, now deceased.
Under their instructions he remained three years,
attending in the meantime the University of Penn-
sylvania, from which he graduated in 1863. He be-
gan his practice in York, continuing until the spring
of 1863, when he entered the service and was ap-
pointed assistant surgeon of the Seventy-eighth
Pennsylvania "Volunteer Infantry, joining his regi-
ment at Murfreesboro, Tenn. In 1864 he was pro-
moted to surgeon of his regiment, with rank of ma-
jor. He participated in the battles of Hoover's
Gap.Tullahoma, Chickamauga, Buzzard Roost, Dal-
ton, Resaca, New Hope Church, and in various
minor engagements. His regiment was under the
command of Gens. Thomas, Rosecrans and Sher-
man, and was a part of the Fourteenth Army Corps.
In November, 1864, lie was mustered out, his term
■of service having expired. Upon his return he
went to Oil City and resumed his practice, remain-
ing there about one year. In 1866 he returned to
Dillsburg, where he has since resided, and estab-
lished a large and lucrative practice. Dr. Bailey
has always identified himself with all measures of
public improvement, is liberal and honorable in all
of his relations of life, keeps well abreast with the
advancements of the age. In his profession Dr.
Bailey takes an honorable pride, and with its prog- ^
ress is well conversant. He is a member of the'
York County Medical Society, of the State Medical
Society, and a member of the York Lodge, No. 366,
A. F. & A. M. He has served in various ofHces in
his township, and is one of the honored citizens
of York County. Dr. Bailey was married, in 1879,
to Miss Josephine P. Logan, daughter of Col. Hen-
ry Logan, of Carroll Township. This union has
been blessed with two children: William B., de-
ceased, and Martha L. The family have always been
connected with the Presbyterian Church.

SAMUEL NELSON 'BAILEY, son of Daniel
Bailey (deceased) was born in this township, June
14, 1840, was reared on a farm and received a good
education, including three years' instruction at
Tuscarora Academy. On his return from the latter
he assisted in filling up the quota for the draft sent
to Harrisburg by the township. In 1866 he married
Mary Ann, daughter of Jacob Urich, of Cumberland
County, and went to housekeeping on the old home-
stead of 135 acres; this land he purchased in 1869,
and still resides thereon, with his wife and two chil-
dren: Logan W. and Frank E. In 1876 he embarked in
the grain, coal and phosphate trade in partnership
with his brother, M. J. Bailey. Our subject has
served two years as auditor, and in the spring of
1883 was elected justice of the peace.

MUMPER JOHN BAILEY, sou of Daniel Bai-
ley (deceased), of this township, was born January
31, 1844. He was educated .in the schools of the



neighborhood, and at Academia, Juniata County,
and from 1864 until 1868, taught school in Franklin
Township, this county, Hampden Township, Cum-
berland County, on the eastern shore of Maryland,
and again in this township. From 1871 to 1875 he
was engaged in mercantile business in Dillsburg,
under the'firm name of Spahr & Bailey, carrying a
stock valued at $10,000: in 1876, in partnership with
his brother, under the firm name of S. N. Bailey &
Bro., he entered the commission and grain business
and dealing in phosphates, at the corner of Church
and Second Streets, opposite the depot, and is doing
a thriving trade. December 33, 1880, he married
Matilda M., daughter of Philip Zeigler, of Monroe
Township, Cumberland County. Mr. Bailey has
served as school director, and as clerk of the town
council, and is a stockholder in the Dillsburg &
Mechanicsburg Railroad Company.

P. D. BAKER, M. D., was born in Carroll
Township November 19, 1848, and is a son of Dan-
iel and Margaret (Lehmer) Baker. Great-great-
grandfather Baker was a native of Germany, and
great-grandfather Daniel Baker a native of Para-
dise Township, this county. Grandfather Daniel
Baker was also born in Paradise Township in 1793;
was a weaver and died in 1853. The father of our
subject is also a weaver, and followed his trade in
Paradise Township until 1843, when he came to
Carroll Township, where he is engaged in farming.
Dr. P. D. Baker was reared on the farm until six-
teen years of age; he then attended the normal
school at Dillsburg. and the York County Normal
School and the York County Academy, and subse-
quently taught in the common schools and in the
academy a number of terms. In 1870 he began the
study of medicine under Drs. G. L. & J. M. Shearer,
of Dillsburg, and during the sessions of 1873-73-74
attended lectures at the University of Pennsylvania
at Philadelphia, graduating in the spring of 1874.
since when he has been in constant practice in this
township. To the Doctor's marriage with Miss
Kate Kershey, of Washington Township, in 1874,
two children have been born; Daniel T. and Mag-



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 181 of 218)