John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 182 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 182 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


gie J.

DANIEL W. BEITZEL, son of William Beitzel.
of Warrington Township, was born June 30, 1848.
and was reared on the farm, attending school in the
winter. In 1869 he studied at the York County
Normal School, and in 1870 at the York County
Academy. He had taught, however, in Washington
Township in 1868, and during the winters from
1869 to 1873 taught in Warrington Township. He
began his business career in 1873 by clerking for
Emig & Bahn, at New Freedom. In the spring of
1874 he was elected teller of the Dillsburg Bank,
filled the position four years, and in February, 1878,
engaged in the dry goods business in partnership
with J. B. Metzger. Pour years later Mr. Metzger
sold his interest to Michael Bender, and the firm of
Beitzel & Bender now carry a stock worth ahout
$14,000. January 17, 1883, Mr. Beitzel married
Jennie E., daughter of Matthew Porter, of Carroll
Township. Mr. and Mrs. Beitzel have been mem-
bers of the Presbyterian Church since 1877. Of
this church Mr. B. is at present a trustee, and he
has been treasurer of the Sunday-school since 1878.
He was made chief Burgess of Dillsburg in 1876,
and borough treasurer in 1881. In the spring of
1883 he was elected justice of the peace. He is a
member of M. W. Sackett Lodge, No. 89, Dillsburg, .
and of Central Lodge, No. 19, Harrisburg, and is a
charter member of the Pennsylvania Marble, Min-
ing & Manufacturing Company of Dillsburg.

WILLIAM B. BEITZEL, son of Willi'"am' and
Leah Beitzel, of Warrington Township, was born
October 14, 1851, and is of German descent. He
was reared a farmer, and received his earlier educa-
tion at the public schools. In 1873 he attended the



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



85



normal school at Shippensbiirg, and in 1874 the
National Normal School at Lebanon, Ohio, graduat- I
ing in the business department of the latter institu-
tion in the same year. He taught two terms of
.school in York Township, two in Warrington, two
in Upper Allen, Cumberland County, one in War-
ren County, Ohio, and one term in this township.
Prom January 1.5, 1878, to May 18, 1880, he was
editor of the Dillsburg Bulletin.. In June, 1880, he
became a clerk in the office of the Cumberland Val-
ley Railroad Company at Dillsburg; January 1,
1882, he became agent forthat company and for the
Adams Express Company. He received an appoint-
ment as notary public from Gov. Hoy t in November,
1881, and was reappointed in 1884 by Gov. Pattison.
Since 1876 he has been a member of the United
Brethren Church.

JACOB S. BENTZ, son of Jacob L. and Eliza-
beth Bentz, of Warrington Township, was born
April 28, 1836, and is of German descent. He at-
tended school and assisted on the home farm until
1854, and then served an apprenliceship of two
years at carpentering with his uncle, Andrew Bentz;
he next worked a year with Henry Arnold, and
then started business for himself, employing tive or
six hands, for about four years. For some time
thereafter he farmed on the old homestead; in 1869
he bought a farm of 107 acres near Dillsburg. of
Henry Arnold, on which he built a large baru and
other out-buildings, and removed and enlarged the
dwelling. Mr. Bentz has had born to him four chil-
dren, of whom two sons, one a farmer, the other a
merchant, are still living. With his wife lie is a
member of the Lutheran Church at the Barrens.
He has served as supervisor, school director and au-
ditor, and three years ago was elected county com-
missioner.

CHRISTIAN BOWMAN, son of John and Mar-
tha Bowman, of East Lampeter Township, Lan-
caster County, was born July 26, 1811, and was
brought to Monaghan Township, this county, at
the age of four years, in 1815. He was reared on
the home farm 'until 1832, when he learned the
cooper's trade, at which he worked eleven years. |
In 1843 he began farming in Monaghan Township on i
Jacob Coover's place, remained two years and then I
bought 125 acres near Filey's Church, on which he I
lived until 1869, when he came to Carroll Town-
ship and bought a thirty-five-acre tract, on which I
he erected a new dwelling, in which he now resides.
In 1834 he married Susan, daughter of Jacob and
Elizabeth Coover, of Monaghan Township. This
lady died in April, 1852, having borne her husband
twelve children, of whom six — twin girls and four I
boyg — still survive. In 1853 Mr. Bowman married
Margaret, daughter of Frederick and Margaret
Asper. and to this union was born one son — Fred-
erick—who died at the age of twenty months and
eight davs. Mr. and Mrs. Bowman are members of
the Union Reformed Church at Filey's. Mr. B. is 1
a large stockholder in the Harrisburg & Potomac
Railroad

JOHN COOK, son of John and Hannah Cook, 1
of this township, was born August 18, 1813, and is j
of Welsh descent. He was reared a farmer and re- '
mained with his father thirty-one years after he at- [
tained his majority; but on the 24th of April, 1849,
married Lydia M.. daughter of John and Lydia f
Walker, of Warrington Township. For many j
years Mr. Cook drove a team during the winter to
Baltimore, Chambersburg. Lancaster, Harrisburg 1
and Carlisle. At the death of his father he bought !
the homestead of 100 acres, of which eighty-five
are under cultivation and fifteen in timber, and in
1869 erected a fine barn. He still resides on the
place. Mrs. Lydia Cook died March 3, 1873, the
mother of four children, viz. : Eliza Ann, married i
to A. B. Shearer; AVilliam Ramsey, married to



Mary M. Herges, and superintendent of the home
farm; Fanny N.. at home; and Ruth Emma, a
school teacher. The family are members of the
Warrington Friends' Meeting.

GEORGE W. COOK, son of Hezekiah Cook, of
Warrington Township, was born June 30, 1862, and
was reared on the home farm, his winters being de-
voted to the vdistrict school, and also to a select
school at Franklintown. In September, 1880, he
went to Poughkeepsie, N. Y., where he passed
eleven weeks at Eastman's Business College. On
bis return he was appointed teller of the Dillsburg
National Bank, and a few years later was elected
cashier, which position he still holds. March 23,
1882. he married Nannie M., daughter of William
Beitzel, of Warrington Township, and the union
has been blessed with two children; May and
Ralph. Mrs. Cook is a consistent member of the
United Brethren Church at Mt. Zion.

JOHN FLEMING was born January 12, 1835.
and is the second of the five children of Abraham
and Susanna Fleming, of this township. He passed
his boyhood in attending school in winter and as-
sisting on the farm in summer. His mother died
in 1862, and his father in 1873. In 1864 he assumed
charge of the homestead, which comprises 123
acres, and contains a good house and barn, and is
now the property of his two sisters and himself.
In 1862 he married Catherine, daughter of Jonas
Huntsberger, of Monaghan Township. Five chil-
dren were born to this union; of these, three are
living: Abraham Huntsberger, Arthur Eugene and
.lohn Newton Patterson. They have also one
adopted daughter, Minnie Dehia, aged about eight-
een. Mr. and Mrs. Fleming have been members
of the Church of God at Mt. Pleasant since 1861.

JOHN B. FIRESTONE, son of Aaron Fire-
stone, of this township, was born October 20, 1851,
andpassed his boyhood on the farm and in attend-
ing school. In his twenty-second year he began at-
tending the York County Normal School, which he
attended two terms. He also taught school the
winter of 1875-76 in Dover Township, and the fol-
lowing year he taught in this township. In 1881 he
took charge of the primary school at Dillsburg, and
the following year was promoted to the charge of
the grammar school, which he taught two term^,
and was then re-elected, but declined to accept the
position of teller in the Dillsburg National Bank.
Prof. Firestone has been a member of the United
Brethren Church at Beaverfnwn since 1877.

J. O. HOFFMAN. Ji\. D., was born in York
County, August 21, 1854, and until 1871 assisted on
the home farm and attended the district school.
From 1871 to 1872 he attended select schools, and
taught alternately; from 1872 to 1873 he worked in
his father's mill; from the summer of 1873 to the sum-
mer of 1875 lie attended various seminaries and taught
school, working the ensuing winter in the mill; from
the summer of 1876 to 1880, he was a student in the
Millersville State Normal School, teaching at various
points in the meantime. In the spring of 1880 he began
reading medicine under Dr. J. H. Marsden, of York
Springs, author of Marsden's " Midwifery." editor
of the obstetrical department of the Hommopathic
Observer, and an authority in obstetrics. From
1880 to 1883 our subject attended three courses of
medical lectures of nine months each, and during
the last two years was assistant in the homoeopathic
hospital of the university. June 28, 1883, he was
graduated with the degree of M. D. from the Uni-
versity of Michigan, and in October following lo-
cated at Dillsburg, wherff he has established a sat-
isfactory practice and makes a specialty of eye and
ear treatment. September 25, 1884, he married
Miss Kate Klugh, of Dillsburg.

JOHN KUNTZ, son of John and Susanah
(Harbold) Kuntz, was born in Adams County in



m



CARROLL TOWNSHIP.



1835, and is of German descent. At the age of fif-
teen he began the carpenter's trade with Jacob
Ha}'barger, serving three j'ears. He then began
■ business for himself and has since followed the trade
in connection with farming and lime-burning,
and for twenty-three years he has kept eighteen |
men in his employ. His farm comprises forty acres
under cultivation and ten acres in timber. He has
■been largely interested in the copper business, and
has traveled through New Jersey, New York, West j
Virginia, Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa,
Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan, Inspecting ore. \
He was also one of the organizers of the Dillsburg
Copper, Lead & Iron Company, of which at pres-
ent he is director. In 18.58 he married Anna M.,
daughter of Barnet M. Myers, of Franklin Town-
ship" and to this union two children have been
born: Lewis Carroll and Susannah E. (deceased). |
Mr. and Mrs. Kuntz are members of the Evangeli-
cal church. He was one of the principal men con-
nected with the building of the church in Beaver-
town, and in 1881 was elected local minister.

A. J. LEHMER is the son of Cornelius and
Eve (Koch) Lehmer. and was born in Carroll |
Township March 23. 1863. His great grandfather,
John Lehmer, was born in Adams County. Penn.,
in 1735, and by occupation was a miller. Philip
Lehmer, subject's grandfather, settled in Washing-
ton Township at an early day, and was the owner
of several large tracts of land in Washington, Car-
roll and Franklin Townships; he was married to
Margaret Bushey, and with his wife was a memher
of tiie Lutheran Church. Peter Koch, the mater-
nal grandfather of A. J. Lehmer, was a native of
Perry County, Penn.; his ancestors were early set-
tlers in New York State, whence they came to
Perry County, from which county Peter removed,
when a young man, to Warrington Township, this
county, and engaged in farming; he married Eve,
daughter of John Smith, of Washington Township.
Cornelius Lehmer followed farming in Carroll
Township until 1883, when he' retired from the
active duties of his calling; with his wife he is a
member of the Lutheran Church. A. J. Lehmer
was reared a farmer, received a liberal education at
the common schools, and at the age of eighteen
became a school teacher in Dover Township. In
the spring of 1883 he entered the Normal School at
Kutzlown, Berks County, and the following winter
resumed teaching in Carroll Township. In the
summer of 1883 he attended Coleman's Business
College, Newark, N. J. In the winter of 188-3-84
he taught the grammar school in Lewisberry, York
County. In 1884-85 he was connected with the
Y'ork County Historical Society.

COL. HENRY LOGAN (deceased) was horn
near Dillsburg, York County, Penn., April 14, 1784.
His father, Henry, and his grandfather, John Lo-
gan, immigrated to this country from Coot Hill,
Monaghan Countj^; Ireland, in 1749, and settled in
Cumberland Valley, and afterward patented a tract
of land called Logania, in York County, which is
still in possession of their descendants. Henry's
first public act was to volunteer as a private in the
war of 1812 for the defense of Baltimore. After
the close of the war he was chosen captain of the
Tenth Company. Ninetieth Regiment, Second Brig-
ade, Fifth Division of Pennsylvania Militia, com-
posed of men from York and Adams Counties. Au-
gust 1, 1814. he was commissioned by Gov. Simon
Snyder, lieutenant-colonel in the same regiment for
seven years. He represented York County in the
State assembly of 1818 and 1819, and in the State
senate from 1838 to 1881. In 1834 he was elected a
member of the Twenty-fourth Congress, and re-
elected by an increased majority to'the Twenty-
fifth Congress in 1836. He was in Washington dur-
ing the exciting times of Jackson's second adminis-



tration, of whom he was a great admirer and per-
sonal friend. About 1840 lie was elected a county
commissioner, and during his term of office succeed-
ed in clearing the county of its large indebtedness,
and was perhaps the last commissioner who saw the
county entirely free of debt. Col. Logan was a
strong Democrat. He was the leader of his party
in the county, and it was largely owing to his influ-
ence that the Democrats attained the supremacy in
the county which they have ever since held. He
lived in a'better political era than the present, and
often said that although he had been so frequently
honored by his fellow-citizens, he had never asked
a man to go as a delegate or vote for him. He was
a self-made man; had few opportunities of receiv-
ing a school education, but was a constant reader
and a good writer. When a young man he organ-
ized a debating society, to which he afterward at-
tributed much of his' success. He was a man of
sound judgment and good common sense, and of
remarkable general intelligence. When he once
made up his mind nothing could shake his purpose
or his conviction. His counsels were sought by his
acquaintances, and his advice was of great value to
his neighbors. For man}^ j'ears he was a director
of the Carlisle Deposit Bank, and of the Allen &
East Pennsboro Mutual Fire Insurance Company.
He took a deep interest in the common schools and
served frequently as school director. He was also
an ardent advocate of the American Colonization
Society. Col. Logan was a man of strong physical
constitution, standing six feet tall, and of com-
manding appearance. He was an early riser, hard
worker and knew no fear. A man of plain tastes,
of frugal habits, but indomitable will, energy and
perseverance, he succeeded in acquiring a comforta-
ble fortune, owning at the time of his death over
700 acres of land. His marriage with Martha
O'hail occurred February 23, 1835. She was born
January 39, 1800, and was also of Irish descent.
Her ancestors were early settlers of the northern
portion of the county. They had eleven children,
seven of whom survive them. She was a woman of
great force of character, of sincere piety, and for
many years a patient sufferer. Her death occurred
January 28, 1866. Col. Logan died December 20, 1866.
Both were members of the Presbyterian Church,
1 and regretted hy all who knew them. The children
; are as follows; Jane (now the widow of William M.
Beetem, for many years cashier of the Carlisle De-
posit Bank), James J. (a farmer of Carroll Town-
[ ship), Mary A. (wife of Abram Williams, a prom-
inent farmer of Cumberland County), Martha W.,
1 Josephine F. (wife of W. D. Bailey, M. D., of Dills-
j burg). Rev. William Henry Logan (pastor of the
Presbyterian Church of Millerstown, Penn.) and
' John N.

JOHN N. LOGAN was born April 17, 1846, in
Carroll Township, York Co., Penn. He received
I his education by commencing in the common
schools of his native township, and preparing for
college at the Tuscarora Academy, then under the
care of Dr. J. H. Shumaker. His sophomore year
was spent in Dickinson College, Carlisle, Penn.,
from which he entered the junior class of Prince-
ton College in 1867, and graduated from that instl-
I tution in 1869. He returned to his farm and spent
I two years farming, during which time he became
! prominently identified with the railroad enterprises
j then projected through the northern part of the
county, and was one of the most influential men in
the huilding of both the Harrisburg & Potomac
and the Dillsburg & Mechanicsburg Railroads.
He began the study of law in 1873, but gave it up to
accept the cashiership of the Dillsburg Bank,
which was organized in 1873, and changed into a
j National Bank in 1878. Mr. Logan remained in
this responsible position till 1884, having served



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



eleven years as cashier of the two institutions, and
left the banii in a most tiourishing condition. Mr.
Logan is also engaged in mining, and has been one
of the most successful men in the iron ore business
in the upper end of the county. He owns one of
the finest magnetic ore mines in the State. His
mine has been worked for eleven years, and large
quantities of ore taken from it, and it is supposed
to be practically inexhaustible. Mr. Logan has also
been largely interested in the promotion of the
leading industries in the upper end of the county.
He was justice of the peace for ten years. He has
always been an ardent supporter of advanced edu-
cation, and is at this time president of the Chautau-
qua Literary and Scientific Circle of Dillsburg,
Penn. He lias also been active in social and moral
interests; was president of the Upper District Sab-
bath School Association during 1872-73, aud corre-
sponding secretary for many years. He is an elder
in the Presbyterian Church of Dillsburg, Penn.,
and has been superintendent of the Sabbath-school
for ten years. He was married, November 36, 1874,
to Miss Ella May Coover. They have four children
Jiving: James J. Logan, Jr., Frederic Welty Lo-
gan, Helen Martha Logan and Caroline E. Logan.

ALEX B. METZLER, son of Henry and
Catherine Metzler, of Dover Township, was born
in July, 1845, and is of German descent. After
a preliminary education in the public schools, in
1864, he attended at Cottage Hill College, this
county. In 1865 and 1866. he clerked for John' A.
Weiser, and in 1867 for Stine & Harish; the latter
year also he entered the shoe trade with his father,
and continued until 1876, when he bought his
father's interest and continued for himself, in Do-
ver, until 1882, when he came to Dillsburg and
bought out Levi Gross, of the Howard House,
which he continues to conduct. September 22,
1872, he married Lucinda, daughter of John and
Lydia Kunkel, of Mt. Royal. To this marriage have
been born four children: Nora K., Lizzie I., Henry
A. and Amanda J. Mr. Metzler is a member of the
Hanover Lodge, No. 327, I. O. O. F., is a Demo-
crat, and a popular landlord.

CHARLES MILLER, second son of Michael and
Eliza Miller, of Windsor Township, was born De-
cember 8, 1820, and through his great-grandfather
is of German descent. He was reared on the home
farm, but at the age of eighteen went into his
father's mill, where he worked four years. In 1842
he married Catherine, daughter of Daniel and
Elizabeth KaufEman, of Spring Garden Township.
In 1845 he moved to Warrington Township, where-
he owned a saw, grist and clover-mill. In 1850 he
bought twenty acres of mill property on this rail-
road, one-quarter mile from Dillsburg, and carried
on sawing and grinding. He has been a member of
the Franklin Reformed Church, and has filled the
office of deacon and trustee for many years. He
has also served as assessor, school director and
assistant assessor. He is a stockholder in the
Dillsburg & Mechanicsburg Railroad, and also
deals largely in grain, coal, plaster and phosphates-
He stands six feet three and one-half inches high,
and has had born to him seven children, of whom
five are living.

MICHAEL B. MUMPER, the fifth of the eleven
children of John and Jane Mumper, of Carroll, was
born August 20. 1812, and was reared on the home
farm. From the ag" of fourteen until thirty he
drove a team to Baltimore, Wheeling, etc., and then
engaged in the cattle trade. February 6, 1848, he
married Eliza, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth
Coover, of Monaghan Township, and then engaged
in farming. Of the two children born to this union
Annie only is living. In 18.55 Mr. Mumper bought
his present farm, and built a good dwelling, barn
and tenement. Mr. Mumper has reared four orphan



boys, all of whom are doing well. For many years
Mr. and Mrs. Mumper have been members of the
Presbyterian Church, of which Mr. Mumper has
been a trustee for fifteen years.

SAMUEL MUMPER is a son of John and
Jennie (Beelman) Mumper, of Monaghan Town-
ship, was born March 16, 1825, and grew to man-
hood on the home farm, attending the district and
select schools in his youth. In 1866 he began farm-
ing on the old homestead, which he soon after pur-
chased, and remodeled the dwelling and built a
new barn, carriage house and other out-buildings,
The place comprises 110 acres, all under cultiva-
tion. February 7, 1867, he married Mary E.,
daughter of George and Lizzie King, of Washing-
ton 'Township. To this marriage have been born
three daughters: Bertha M., Annie K. and Katie L.
Mr. and Mrs. Mumper are members of the Dills-
burg Lutheran Church, having joined about 1878.
Mr Mumper is a prosperous agriculturist and has
also been largely engaged in extracting iron ore,
etc., having spent all his life in this vicinity, with
the exception of a trip, in 1866, to Ohio, Indiana,
Kentucky, and other parts of the country.

ROBERT McCALL NELSON, son of Samuel
P. and Margaret Nelson, was born February 3,
1844, and paternally is descended from the British
admiral, Lord Nelson; his maternal grandfather,
Bailey, was a native of Ireland. Our subject was
reared on the home farm, attending school until
his majority, and in 1879 taking charge of the
home place. The same year' he married Annie
(Caroline), daughter of Robert C. and Lydia (Liv-
ingston). The only child born to this union is now
deceased. The farm contains 135 acres, ten in
woodland, the balance under cultivation, and im-
proved with substantial buildings.

JOHN O'HAIL, son of Hugh and Elizabeth
O'hail, was born November 3, 1827. His great-
grandfather, John O'hail, came from Ireland and
settled near Dillsburg in 1754. The family were
Covenanters, and the grandfather of our subject,
Edward O'hail, was an elder in the Presbyterian
Church. Our subject was reared on the farm, and
educated at the public and private schools. He be-
came a teacher, and from 1846 until 1866, taught at
various points in this and Cumberland Counties.
In 1867 he clerked for the Trindle Spring Paper
Mill; in 1868 he resumed his profession as teacher,
and from 1874 to the present time he has conducted
the O'hail School. His professional certificates
were received in December, 1859, from Dr. A. R.
Blair, county superintendent, and December 30,
1870, from S. G. Boyd, county superintendent;
his permanent certificate, dated August 28, 1871,
was received from J. P. Wickersham. Mr. O'hail
has served as inspector of elections, and is a stock-
holder in the Harrisburg & Potomac Railroad.
From 1846 to 1871 he was a member of the United
Presbyterian Church at Carlisle, and is now a
member of the Presbyterian Church at Dillsburg,
and has been a Sunday-school teacher and superin-
tendent since 1848. In politics he is an ardent
Republican.

JACOB PETERMAN, son of John and Sarah
Peterman, of this township, was born May 24,
1820 — his great-grandfather having come from Ger-
many. He was reared a farmer, and in 18.50 took
charge of the homestead for his father. In 1851 he
married Eliza Mary, daughter of Christopher and
Rachel Marks, of Newberry Township, and to this
union have been born four children, of whom two
boys and one girl are living. The daughter is mar-
ried to John Mechling; the eldest son married Mary
Smyser, and the youngest son married Mary AValker.
In 1867 Mr. Peterman inherited the homestead of
120 acres— ninety five acres under cultivation and
twenty-five acres in timber; in 1874 he erected a



CARROLL TOWNSHIP.



new dwelling, barn, etc.; he also bought from the
heirs a farm of eighty acres, improved with a good
house and barn, and from the heirs of his brother
Jobn. he bought a farm of 100 acres in Warrington



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 182 of 218)