John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 184 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 184 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


He was married, in 1778, to Miss Barbara Pretz, of
this township, by whom he had six children. He
died in 1808. James Murphy, his eldest child, had
nine children— four sons and five daughters. John
Murphy, our subject, was born in 1813 on the old
Murphy homestead, which adjoins his present farm.
He was engaged in boating and school teaching for
some years. He was married, in 1844,. to Miss Leah
Smith, daughter of William Smith, 'of this town-
ship. They have had eight children: Charles W.
(deceased), James S., Samuel H. (deceased), John
R. S., George W. (deceased), Mary C, Hester A.
and "Thomas W. Mr. Murphy has held the offices
of auditor and assessor.

GEORGE B. MURPHY is a son of Joseph and
Alice (Cunningham) Murphy, natives of York Coun-
ty, Penn. His grandfather, Joseph Murphy, came
from Ireland in 1794. Our subject was born on the



old Murphy homestead, January 13, 1848, where he
now lives. At the death of his mother, in 1877, he
purchased the home farm. In 1870 he engaged in
the mercantile business, and since 1877 has been
engaged in farming, in connection with that bus-
iness. He was married on February 13, 1874, to
Miss Sarah Gemmill, daughter of Robert Genimill.
They have two children: Robert E. and Joseph R.
In 1883 Mr. Murphy was elected school director for
three years. He and wife are members of the Pres-
byterian Church.

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN PORTER, M. D.,
son of Benjamin and Ruth (Wilson) Porter, was
born in Mill Creek Hundred, Newcastle Co., Del.,
May 19, 1837, being the fourth of a family of seven
children. His father removed to New Garden
Township, Chester County, when the subject of
this sketch was three years of age, where they con-
tinued to reside until their removal to York County.
His father had no brothers and but one sister, who
died early in life, and his grandfather Porter, who
was an officer in the Continental army, died about
the year 1790. His mother was the eldest daughter
of John and Elizabeth (Beverley) Wilson, and his
grandmother, Elizabeth, was the daughter of
Samuel and Ruth (Jackson) Beverley, of Kennet
and East Marlborough Townships, Chester Co..
Penn. Samuel and Ruth Beverley had two daugh-
ters, Elizabeth, as above mentioned, and Mary, af-
te,rward married to William Gause. They had six
sons and five daughters. The early life of Dr. B.
F. Porter, the sui'ject of this sketch, was divided
between attendance at school and his duties as a
farmer's son, until his fifteenth year, when he en-
tered the academy of his friend and neighbor, the
late Enoch Lewis, where his advancement was very
rapid. Mathematics was his delight, and when he
left school to enter Delaware College, his preceptor
considered him fully prepared to do all kinds of
civil engineering. Having to depend upon his own
resources in a great measure, for his further ad-
vancement, he taught in the common schools of
Chester County, and in Newcastle County, Del., the
last year being in a select school. In the spring of
1851 he entered the office of Dr. J. R. McClurg as a
medical student. After more than the usual course
of study — for under the advice of his friend, the
late Dr. Porter, of Wilmington, Del., he devqted
considerable time to hospital training and expe-
rience — he graduated with the degree of doctor of
medicine from the Jefferson Medical College of
Philadelphia, on March 10, 1855. Immediately af-
ter graduation he came to Chanceford Township to
treat and care for a sister who was in feeble health,
and finally made it his permanent home; and from
the day on which he was vested by the State of
Pennsylvania with the powers "exercendi, docendi,
et scribendi, uhi rite vocati fiieritis," and that too,
"inter nos et uhique gentium," he practiced his pro-
fession among all classes, faithfully, earnestly an d
circumspectly, and has always enjoyed a large pat-
ronage. Always an ardent friend of popular edu-
cation, and believing that the heritage of liberty,
as bequeathed to us by the fathers of the republic,
is dependent for its perpetuation upon the intel-
ligence of the people, he served his township
twelve years in succession as a school director, in
which" he gave his time and energies freely to the
improvement and elevation of the people's colleges
— the common schools. In 1868 he was elected a
member of the house of representatives of the com-
monwealth of Pennsylvania, and in 1869 was re-
elected to the same positioTi,and as an evidence of the
acceptability of his services, at the expiration of his
second term his fellow-members presented him with
a handsome gold-headed cane, as a testimonial of
esteem and regard. On August 30, 1861. he mar-



CODORUS TOWNSHIP.



ried— Sarah Jane Bigler becoming his life partner.
They have one son living: David B. Porter, who is
just entering his twenty- third year.

JOSEPH W. REED was born in Chanceford
Township, in 1844, and is a son of Samuel and
Sarah J. (Wiley) Reed, natives respectively of
Chanceford and Fawn Townships, York County,
Penn. His great-grandfather emigrated from Ire-
land to America prior to the war of the Revolution,
and held a commission in 'the Continental army.
He was also one of the signers of the Declaration of
Independence. The grandfather of our subject had
six children, of whom the father of Joseph W. was
the eldest son. Joseph W. Reed, in 1871, purchased
his present farm of 112 acres, where he has since
lived and been engaged in general farming. He
married Miss Mary S. Bigler, daughter of
David Bigler, of Windsor Township. They have
three children; Sarah J., Charles F. and Ralph M.
In March, 1865, Mr. Reed enlisted in tbe One Hun-
dred and Third Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers,
and served until the close of the war. Mr. and
Mrs. Reed are members of the Presbyterian
Church.

JAMES P. ROBINSON is a son of Nehemiah
and Maria (Pennington) Robinson, natives of Mary-
land, and was born in Cecil County, Md., Septem-
ber 22, 1840. At six years of age he came with his
parents to York County, and settled at York Fur-
nace, in Lower Chanceford Township. The earlier
years of bis life wfere spent at various occupations.
In 1872 he removed to New Bridgeville and engaged
in general merchandising and hotel business. Here
he remained until 1878, when he went to Long Level
in Lower AVindsor Township and continued the
same business. In 1882 he returned to New Bridge-
ville, where he still resides, and engaged in the same
business. He was married Januarv 1, 1867. to Miss
Sarah A. Schall, daughter of John Schall. They
have six children: Maggie R., Ida J., Rose, Sarah
E., Samuel T. and Clara B. In 1884 Mr. Robinson
was elected to the State legislature. He is a mem-
ber of the I. O. O. F. Mr. and Mrs. Robinson are
members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church.

JOHN K. SCHENBERGER, son of Frederick
and Lydia (Whitman) Schenberger, was born on the
old family homestead in Chanceford Township,
March 19, 1833. His parents were also born in
York County. His early life was spent on the farm,
and at twenty-five years of age he began learning
the carpenter's trade, at which he worked for eight
years. In 1878 he engaged in general merchandis-
ing, which business he has since continued in con-
nection with farming. He was appointed post-
master at New Bridgeville in 1864, which position
he still retains. He was married April 12, 18.57, to
Miss Elizabeth Loucks, daughter of Samuel Loucks,
of Windsor Township. They have five chil-
dren: Idii A., John W., Frederick H., William
J. and Latta S. Mr. Schenberger has held various
township offices.

JAMES TAYLOR, son of Robert and Jane
(McKee) Taylor, was born in Lower Chanceford
Township, in 1826. His parents, who were born in
Ireland, immigrated to America in 1820, and settled
in Lower Chanceford Town.ship. Mr. Taylor, by
occupation, is a farmer, and is now engaged in
superintending a farm for John Small. ' He was
married to Miss A. (daughter of George) Walter-
myer, of Hopewell Township. This union has
been blessed with six children: George W., James
F.. Catherine J., .Joseph T., .John H. and Wesley
McK. Mr. Taylor is a member of the Chanceford
United Presbyterian Church.

ARCHIBALD THOMPSON (the ancestor of the
Thompsons in York County) came from Scotland,
and was a Scotch Covenanter, some of his ancestors
being compelled to live in caves during the persecu-



tion. He married Margaret Wallace, daughter of
Alexander Wallace, who came to York County in
1730, and in whose house Old Guiuston Church was
first organized. Archibald Thompson and Margaret
Wallace had four children: Alexander, single; Agnes
married Samuel Collins; James, single, and .Joseph,
who married Mary Purdy, the daughter of Archi-
bald Purdy and Agues Gilliland. Joseph Thomp-
son, born February 2, 1762; died December 19, 18J5.
Mary Purdy, born 1766; died 1834. They had ten
children as follows: Archibald married Jane Kirk-
wood, Joseph married Jane Martin, Nancy married
Robert Anderson, Alexander married Margaret Mc-
Kinley, James married Rosanna Kerchner, Margaret
married William Reed, Mary married Thomas
Grove, William married Mary Ann Hoopes,
Samuel H. married Elizabeth Shenberger, Andrew
Purdy married Elizabeth Donaldson and had eight
children, of whom William R. Thompson, of the
banking firm of Semple & Thompson, corner
Fourth Avenue and Wood Street, Pittsburgh, Penn.,
is the eldest. Andrew Purdy Thompson studied
for the ministry, and was sent by the Associate
Church as a missionarjf to the island of Trinidad
in the West Indies. After three years absence, he
came home and has been almost uninterruptedly en-
gaged in the work of the American Bible Societj'.
William R. Thompson, of Pittsburgh, was born in
Alleghany City, in 1845. During the civil war, he
entered the Union army. Since 1865 he has been
engaged in the banking business; was seven years
cashier of the Mechanics National Bank of Pitts-
burgh, and afterward its president. He is now the
active member of the banking firm of Semple &
Thompson.

WILLIAM THOMPSON is a son of Archibald
P. and Jane (Kirkwood) Thompson, the latter, a
native of Harford County, Md. The father of our
subject, a farmer, was born in Chanceford Town-
ship, York County, and was the eldest son in a
family of ten children, and for a number of years
was captain in the State militia. Our subject was
born on the old Thompson homestead in 1819,
where he grew to manhood. He remained on the
farm until 1830, when he engaged in merchandising
at Bald Eagle, in Fawn Township, and there re-
mained three years. He then returned to Chance-
ford Township, and again engaged in farming,
which occupation he has since continued. He was
married in 1848, to Miss Sallie E. Gemmill, daugh-
ter of John Gemmill. They have four children:
John G., Archibald P., James D. and Sallie M.
Mr. and Mrs. Thompson are members of the United
Presbyterian Church.

SAMUEL WORKINGER, son of Jesse Work-
Inger, present sheriff of York County, Penn., was
born February 9, 1843. He was married in 1866, to
Miss Agnes R. Warner, daughter of Jacob War-
ner, of Chanceford Township. They have one
child, Alice M. Mr. Workinger is a leadingcitizen.
and has held positions of public trust in Chanceford
Township.



CODORUS TOWNSHIP.



LEVI BAHN, son of John and Polly Bahn, nee
Schwartz, of Springfield Townsliip, was born March
22, 1820, in Shrewsbury Township. He was reared
on his father's farm until his nineteenth year, then
went to his trade of carpenter with John N. Miller,
of Shrewsbury Township, and followed his trade
since that date, except four years when engaged in
milling. He built the mill which Henry M. Bort-



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



ner now owns and operates. .January 23, 1843, he
married Margaret Bortner, daughter of Jacob and
Catherine (Snyder) Bortner, of Codorus Town-
ship. Twelve children have been born to this union :
Cassie, deceased; Rebecca and Levi, twins; Louis,
Elizabeth; Matilda, deceased; John, Catharine,
Sarah .J., Louisa, Jacob and William H. Mr. Bahn
has been the leading builder of Codorus Township
for the past forty years, nearly all the large barns
and dwellings having been erected by him. The
first meeting house ever built in Glen Rock was put
up by Mr. Bahn. He is descended from one of the
old families of the township. Mr. Bahn is a mem-
ber of Fishel's (Lutheran) Church. His grand-
father, Frederick Bahn, was only four years old
when he came to York County.

■ HENRY M. BORTNER, "son of Michael and
Catherine (Marckel) Bortner, of Codorus and
Shrewsbury Townships, respectively, was born Jan-
uary 3, 1831, in Codorus Township, and is the sec-
ond son in a family of eight children, viz.: Jared
M., Henry M., Jonas M., Noah M. ; Sarah, wife of
Solomon "Wherly; Liddie, widow of Henry Bahn;
Cassie Ann, wife qf Peter S. Smith; and Catherine,
wife of Adam S. Smith. June 14, 1846, our sub-
ject married Henrietta Dubs, daughter of John
and Elizabeth ^Rohrbach) Dubs, of Codorus Town-
ship. Thirteen children have been born to them:
Albert D., Louisa J. ; Henry D., deceased; Henrietta
D.; Leminda, deceased; John D.: Sarah, deceased;
Josiah D., Amanda D., George D., Edgar D.,
Laura D. and Alice D. Our subject was reared on
his father's farm, and received the advantages of
the common schools of his township. He followed
weaving for seven years, having learned it-from his
mother, and then went to learn the trade of miller,
June 8. 1844, with Jacob Bortner, ex-commissioner
of York County: Ephraim Fair was his miller.
After working there four years, our subject bought
the mill property of Michael Krout. at what is now
Seitzville. He operated this mill four years, then
bought Abraham Thoman's mill in Shrewsbury
Township, now Honeytown, where »he followed
milling twelve years, and then moved to his pres-
ent mill, and after three years' stay here rented a
farm and followed farming five years, when he relin-
quished that occupation to accept the office of treas-
urer of York County, having served the full term to
the entire satisfaction of the people. In 1875 he re-
moved to the mill property, where he now lives, at
Pierceville. He still runs the mill to its full capacity.
Our subject's father, John Michael Bortner, died
October 31, 1870, in his ninetieth year. His mother
died October 9, 1838, in her fortieth year. Subject's
paternal grandparents were Ludwig Bortner and
Ablona (Florschner) Bortner, and were among the
pioneer settlers of Codorus Township. Mr. Bort-
ner is a member of Fishel's (Lutheran) Church;
has been assessor of his township ten consecutive
terms, also school director for nine years, and is
one of the leading and most respected citizens of
Codorus Township.

JONAS M. BORTNER, sou of Michael and
Catherine (Marckel) Bortner, of Shrewsbury Town-
ship, was born December 17, 1824, in Codorus
Township. He received the ordinary common
school education available at that day, and was
reared on the farm. In February, 1849, Mr. Bort-
ner married Catherine Bortner. daughter of Jacob
and Catherine (Garwick) Bortner, of Codorus
Township. This union has been blessed with



eleven children: Lewis, Adeline (deceased). Levi,
Sarah (deceased), Caroline, Henry (deceased), Na-
thaniel, Richard, Amanda (deceased), Maria and
Harris. Mr. Bortner has been constable for
eighteen years, and is one of the most popular and
best known men in Codorus Township. The mill
now owned and operated by him was built in 1839,



by Jacob Bortner, generally known as old Commis-
sioner Bortner, and, except an interval of two years,
this mill has been in the Bortner name ever since.
Mr. Bortner is a prominent member of the Reformed
Church.

S. B. BRODBECK, only son of George and
Leah (Bossert) Brodbeck, of Codorus Township,
was born May 21, 1851, in Jefferson, Codorus Town-
ship, After going to the public school of his town-
ship, and to Prof. Gray's school at Glen Rock, he
entered his father's store, and at the death of his
father, in 18T4, continued the business for Brodbeck
estate until 1879, when he began business in his
own name. July 4, 1875, Mr. Brodbeck married
Eliza Weaver, daughter of Jacob and Eliza (Gettier)
Weaver, of Manchester, Carroll Co., Md. Four
children have been born to this union: Rose E.,
George W., Lettie May and Sadie. Our subject's
father, George Brodbeck, was a prominent citizen
and one of the leading business men of his section
of York County. He was postmaster and also
treasurer of Codorus Township for many years, and
was leader of the choir at the Stone Church from
the time he settled in the township until his death.
His success in life was due to his own efforts. The
subject of this sketch, though comparatively a
young man, is widely known, and doing a large
mercantile business, having a branch store and
postoffice at Brodbecks( Green Ridge Station) on the
Hanover & Baltimore Railroad. He is a member
of the Stone (Reformed) Church.

HENRY GABLE, son of Henry and Annie
(Gertrude) Gable, was born June 17, 1839, in North
Codorus Township, and was brought up on a farm.
January 33. 1864, he enlisted in York, Penn., in
Company B, One Hundred and Eighty-seventh
Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers. He was
wounded in left thigh and leg, in the discharge of his
duly at Weldon Railroad, Virginia, June 18, 1864,
and was taken to Division Hospital, and thence to
City Point Hospital, Virginia. June 30 he left
there for Findley Hospital, Washington, D. C. Our
subject's sister came to Washington and secured his
transfer to the hospital at York, Penn. On July 35,
1865, he was again transferred to the Citizens'
Hospital, Philadelphia: July 26 to the Chestnut
Hill Hospital; he left the Chestnut Hill Hospital
October 17, 1865, for the Christian Street Hospital,
where a piece of bone came out of his leg, Decem-
ber 10, 1866, and a second piece of bone'came out
on September 3, 1872. Mr. Gable is a well known
and respected citizen of Codorus Township.

LEWIS K. GLATFELTER, son of Charles and
Leah (Klindinst) Glatfelter, is the third child in a
family of eleven children, and was born October 20,
1843, in North Codorus Township, where he was
reared on his father's farm; when a boy, his time
was devoted to school and farm work. February
15, 1863, he married Isabella, daughter of John B.
and Elizabeth (Behler) Kerchner, of North Codorus
Township. This marriage has been blessed with
seven children: Franklin (deceased), Emma J., Lucy,
Alice (deceased), Miranda (deceased), Paul (de-
ceased) and Rose (deceased). Our subject's father,
Charles Glatfelter, died in his sixty-fifth year, and
his mother was- sixty-seven when she died. Mr.
Glatfelter owns an excellent farm of 100 acres, well
stocked and under good cultivation; also owns an
adjoining farm of sixty acres that he farms in con-
nection with the home farm. The Glatfelter family
is one of the oldest and most numerous in York
County. The subject of this sketch is a man of
wide influence in his tow,nship, and a prominent
member of Shaffer's Church.

E. W. HEINDEL, son of George and Leah
(Winehold) Heindel. of Shrewsbury Township, was
born October 17, 1833. He was brought up to and
followed farming until 1879, when he built Green



94



CONEWAGO TOWNSHIP.



Ridge Mill, at Green Ridge Station, Codorus Town-
ship, on the Hanover & Baltimore Railroad. April
15, 1859, Mr. Heindel married Elizabeth Rife, May
2, 1867, he married his second wife, Annie Dubs, of
County, Penn. This marriage has been
with two children, Tirza Jane (deceased),
and Elsie A. Mr. Heindel is the owner of a farm
containing 218 acres, about sixty acres being in
woodland. He has been school director three years;
was director on the B. N. R. R., the time it was
built.for eight years, and ticket agent for eight years.
He has by his own exertions and good management
acquired a handsome competency, and is one of the
solid men of Codorus Township.

DR. H. C. JONES, son of H. B. and Mary Ann
(Zimmerman) Jones, was born August 9, 1842, in
Codorus Township (near the Maryland line). The
Doctor is the third in a family of nine children.
He was reared on a farm and mill and attended pri-
vate school in Baltimore County,Md.,and for several
years the Manchester Academy, in Manchester, Md.
He began to read medicinewith Dr. H. Baltz. of Man-
chester; he then continued under Prof. N. R. Smith,
of Baltimore, and after three years of close reading
attended two courses at theUniversity of Maryland,
also talking private instruction between courses. He
graduated in 186.5, and immediately began the prac-
tice of medicine at Menge's Mills, and after five
years' stay removed to Jefferson borough, his present
location. Dr. Jones is a member of the I. O. O. F.,
No. 337, Hanover Lodge, and has been burgess of
Jefferson. September 29. 1867, he married Sarah
F. Hershey, daughter of Abraham and Eliza (Forry)
Hershey, of Heidelberg Township. Seven childi-en
have blessed this union; infant daughter, deceased;
Minnie, two infant sons, deceased; Henry H., Pius
H., and Honora E. Dr. Jones is devoted to his
profession, has a lucrative practice, and is one of
Jefferson's best citizens.

DR. JOHN D. KELLER, son of Henry S. and
Henrietta (Wherly) Keller, of Codorus Township,
was born February 24, 1852. After attending
school at home until his tenth year, he went to York.
County Academy for two years, then to Glen Rock
School under Professor Gray two years. He taught
school for three terms, two in Codorus Township
and one in Springfield Township. He began read-
ing medicine with his father during the summer
months; then attended lectures at the Hahnneman
Medical College in Philadelphia, where he graduated
March 10, 1874. He began the practice of medicine
at Melrose, Md., and after three years' practice re-
moved to his present location at Glenville, Codorus
Township. October 10, 1875, he married Sarah
Lippy, daughter of Benjamin Lippy, of Carroll
County, Md. One child has been born to them
— Albertus H. B. Our subject's father. Dr. H. S.
Keller, was born in West Manheim Township; his
family were John D., Henry J.. Elizabeth S., Dan-
iel W. ; Henrietta, deceased; William E. A.; Anna
Mary, deceased; infant, deceased. Our subject's
mother died, and his father married Margaret Doll,
daughter of Henry A. Doll, of Manheim'Township.
Four children have been born to this marriage:
Catherine, Jesse; Tobias, deceased; and Lydia, de-
ceased. Our subject has been a hard student, devoted
to his chosen profession, and as a reward of this has
a large and lucrative practice.

REV. W. H. KETTERMAN, son of George and
Anna May (Bush) Ketterman, of Dover and North
Codorus Townships respectively, was reared on the
farm and attended school in his native township
unlil his sixteenth year, when ho began teaching
school; taught five terms in "Lesh's" Church, North
Codorus Township, and one term at "Auchey's"
Schoolhouse, Jefferson Borough. Easter day, 1876,
Rev. K. married Lydia M. Hamm. daughter of
Daniel and Lydia (Lau) Hamm, of North' Codorus



Township. Four interesting children have blessed
this union: Paul, George and Daniel (twins), and
Annie. Om' subject is the ninth child in a family
of twelve children, and he is loved and honored by
his people, to which, his first charge, he was called
twelve years ago. and it is not too much to say that
no charge in York County has made such rapid
progress in same length of time. When Rev. Ket-
terman came to this field twelve years ago, the sal-
ary at the stone church, comprising 160 members,
paid between $60 and $80; Schaffer's paid about $13 ;
Jefferson about $30. These churches now pay
about five times that amount, respectively; the col-
lections for benevolent purposes then were from
$12 to $20 per year at the stone church, now they
are from $120 to .$150 a year; the same relative in-
crease has taken place in the other two churches;
all due to the wise and energetic management of the
reverend pastor.

JESSE SHAFFER, son of John and Margaret
(Overmiller) Shaffer, second in a family of eleven
children, was born in Hopewell Township in 1811,
and was reared on his father's farm. He married
Catherine Klinefelter, daughter of George and Eliz-
abeth (Diehl) Klinefelter. Five children have
blessed this marriage: Rebecca, Elizabeth, George.
Catherine and Jacob. Mr. Shaffer has resided at
his present home for the last forty years. His farm
containsl64 acresof excellent land, about forty acres
of woodland. In 1862 he built the Shaffer grist-
mill, which has been in operation continuously ever
since John Shaffer, our subject's father, attained
the ripe old age of eighty-two, when he died in



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 184 of 218)