John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 188 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 188 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


bridge, of York County, Penn. This union has
been blessed with three children : Samuel J., Nellie
B. and an infant. In addition to the 112 acres on
the homestead Mr. Wiley owns ninety-eight acres.
He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, of
Centre. He has held the office of auditor for three
years.



FRA.NKLIN TOWNSHIP.

JACOB W. ALBERT was born in Adams
County, Penn., in 1821, a son of Rev. J. E. and
Catherine (Wentz) Albert, of Adams and Perry
Counties, respectively. His great-grandfather came
from Germany, and was sold te pay his passage
across the ocean. The grandfather was a farmer
in Adams County. Penn.. and owned a large tract
of land, which was divided into eight farms. He
was a member of the Reformed Church. The fa-
ther of subject was a German Reformed minister in
Adams and York Counties for many years. He
owned three farms in Adams County of 175 acres,
seventy-five and fifty acres, respectively. He had
twelve children; Susanna, Ezra (deceased), Eliz-
abeth, Jacob W., Mary (deceased), Josiah (de-
ceased), Ephraim, Appolonia (deceased), Hiram,
Samuel, Rebecca and Catherine Jacob W. Albert
managed his father's farm when he was seventeen
years old, and has since followed farming, owning
ninety- eight acres of finel3'-improved" land in



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



105



Franklin Township, where he resides. Like his
ancestors, he belongs to the Reformed Church. In
1844 he married Leah Bup, daughter of Frederick
Bup, of Franklin Township. They have three chil-
dren : Catherine, Sarah and Abraham F.

LEWIS ARNOLD was born in Warrington
Township, York County. Penn., September 30,
1844, and is a son of Daniel and Anna (Straley) Ar-
nold. His grandfather was a native of York Coun-
ty, and engaged in farming in Washington Town-
ship, having a farm of 150 acres. His father was a
miller by trade, and followed it and farming in Do-
ver and Warrington Townships. In 1869 he pur-
chased twenty-three acres of land in Adams Coun-
tv, which he farmed till his death in January, 1872.
He hadseventeen children; Rebecca, William (killed
in the battle of the Wilderness in 1864), Solomon,
Samuel, Stephen, Sarah, Frank, Lewis, Jacob (de-
ceased), Henry, Louisa (deceased), Maria, George,
Aaron, Mary A., Amanda and Daniel L. Lewis
Arnold, when eighteen years old, began learningthe
tanner's trade, which he followed six months, when
he enlisted, in September, 1863, in Company Q,
One Hundred and Forty-third Regiment Pennsyl-
vania Volunteers, under Gen. Warren, and took
part in the following engagements: Wilderness,
Spottsylvania, Laurel Hill and North Ann River.
In the last engagement he was wounded in the leg.
May 23, 1864. On the following day his leg was
amputated, and he was removed to Mt. Pleasant
Hospital, at Washington, where he remained until
April 25, 1865; he then returned home and engaged
in the cigar manufacturing business in Cumberland,
County, Penn. In 1866 he came to Franklintown,
and in 1868 began learning the shoe-maker's trade
which he still follows. He has a tine home in
Franklintown. In 1870 he married Lydia M. Dit-
mer, daughter of Henry and Mary (Wierman) Dit-
mer, of Franklin Township. By this union they
have had five children; Mary B., James D., Henry
D.. Clayton S. and Richard L. Mr. and Mrs. Ar-
nold are members of the Union Baptist Church.

CHRISTIAN BENDER was. born in 1828 in
York County, and is a son of Lewis and Catherine
(Hershey) Bender. His grandparents were natives
of Lancaster County. Penn.. but came to. York
County at an early day. His father was also a na-
tive of Lancaster County; his mother was born in
York County. They owned a farm of 165 acres,
which the father farmed until a few years before
his death. They were active members of the Unit-
ed Brethren Church, and left eight children: Mary,
Christian, Henry, Elizabeth, Sarah. Lydia, Michael
and Catherine. Christian Bender followed farming
until his marriage, when lie engaged in threshing,
farming and teaming, which he is still following.
He owns ninety-three acres of well cultivated land
in Franklin Township, also a small farm of twenty-
eight acres half a mile from the home farm, and
twenty-eight acres of mountain land. In 1851 he
married Elizabeth Mumper, a daughter of Michael
Mumper, a prominent farmer of Franklin Town-
ship, who died in 1859. They have five children;
Samuel H., Mary E., Edward L., Lilly E. and Sal-
lie. Nearly all the family belong to the United
Brethren Church. Mr. Bender has been a director
of the Dillsburgh and Mechanicsburgh Railroad for
fourteen years.

JACOB BRANDT was born in 1837 in Carroll
Township, York County, and is a son of Jacob and
Rachel (McClure) Brandt, of York County, who,
like the grandparents, followed farming. Jacob
Brandt was reared a farmer, and has alwavs fol-
lowed that occupation. He owns 275 acres of some
of the best land in the township, adjoining which
he owns a small place of five acres, where his
son David lives; he is the owner also of thirty acres
of mountain land,several building lots in Dillsburgh,



three places in Adams County, and a fine building
in Mt. Holly, Cumberland Co., Penn. In 1848 he
married Sarah Smith, a daughter of John S. Smith,
who came from England iu 1827. They have had
the following children: Mary E. (deceased), David.
John, Sarati E. (deceased), Albert, Harry C. (de-
ceased). They all belong to the Evangelical Church,
in which Mr. Brandt was steward for ten years. In
connection with his farming, he also deals in horses
and mules, and has been for twenty-one years quite
extensively engaged in that trade.

LEVI CHRONISTER was born in Adams
County, Penn., in 1831, a son of Jonas and Marga-
ret (Sowers) Chronister, of Adams and Cumberland
Counties, Penn., respectively. His grandfather
was a native of Adams County and a farmer, which
occupation he followed until his death in 1836. His
farm contained about 400 acres, and was situated in
Reading Township, Adams County. He was drafted
for the army in 1812. Jonas Chronister was a
farmer and teamster. He owned several town lots
in Hampton, Adams County, and a farm of thirty
acres on which he lived. He died from an apoplec-
tic stroke April 3. 1881, aged seventy-seven years.
A brother of subject's grandfather was killed in the
Revolutionary war. Levi Chronister remained on
the farm until his seventeenth year. When the
common school system was adopted in Pennsylvania
he was one of the first teachers in Reading Town-
ship, Adams County, where he taught twenty-one
terms. In 18.53 he entered Dickinson College at
Carlisle, Penn., where he attended two sessions,
about 300 students being then there. Before going
to Carlisle he worked at blacksmithing, but being
disabled by a kick from a horse, he in 1851
learned the trade of a wheelwright, at which he
worked eleven summers, teaching school in the
winter. He was elected justice of the peace in
Reading Township, and held that ofiice for fourteen
years. In 1868 he moved to Franklin Township,
where he engaged in teaching school, settling up
estates, fire insurance, and served as .justice 'of the
peace. He was married, in 1856. to Amanda Pick-
ing, daughter of William S. Picking, of Dover
Township. They have had two children: Albert
AV. (deceased) and William P. Mrs. Chronister
died in 1864. In 1868 Mr. C. married Susannah
Mumper, daughter of George Bollinger, of York
County. Mr. Chronister has taught school for
thirty-seven winter terms.

EDWARD DICK was bom in 1829 in York
County, and is the son of George and Mary (Nagle)
Dick, of Adams County, Penn., who settled on the
property now owned by the son in 1831. The
father was engaged in farming and the mercantile
business, and during the time the jail was building
at York he was commissioner for York County,
after which he retired from active business in 1851.
He was a progressive farmer and merchant, and a
director of the Dillsburgh Bank. He owned about
180 acres of well improved land. In all public
affairs he took a lively interest until his death in
1876. His wife survived him only two years. They
were members of^the Lutheran Church and had
seven children: Catherine, Edward. Christian, all
living; Lydia Ann (deceased), Elizabeth (deceased),
Mary .lane (deceased) and Sarah E. Edward Dick
has always been identified with the old homestead.
He, like his father, is one of the most progressive
business men of the township. He owns 330 acres-
of improved land, and about 100 acres of mountain
land. Besides farming he is engaged in the mer-
cantile business, owns a~grist and saw-mill, and
since 1853 has been postmaster at Clear Spring. He
has been school director for nine years. January
32, 1857, he married Elizabeth A. Myers, of Adams
County, who, like himself, is a member of the
Lutheran Church. They have four children; John



FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP.



H.. George AV., Charles E., James A. (deceased)
and Lottie M., some of whom are already assisting
their father on the farm, in business and in the
mill.

REV. S. DILLER is a native of Cumberland
County, Penn., born in 1840, a son of Samuel and
Catharine (Richwine) Diller, of Cumberland
County. His grandfather was a farmer and owned
several hundred acres of land in Cumberland
County. His father, Samuel Diller, was also a
farmer and weaver by trade; he owned 500 acres of
good land in York County, divided into seven
farms, and about 100 acres of mountain land. He
came to Franklin Township in 1867, and remained
here until his death in 1873, at the age of sixty-
four years. He had eleven children; Mary A.,
Sarah A., Catherine A., Julia A., Simon, Joseph
(deceased), Susan A. (deceased), Cyrus, Priscilla A.,
S. C. and Rosa A. Subject remained on the farm
in York County, until the age of twenty-eight years,
when he went to the Lutheran Missionary School at
Selin's Grove, Penn. He then began active work in
the United Brethren ministry at the Carlisle
Spring Circuit in Cumberland County, where he re-
mained two years; next he went to Dover Circuit,
York County, where he remained four years; then
took Yocumtown charge for one year. In the con-
ference of 1883, he chose the local ministry. In
1865 he married Lydia A. Morrett, daughter of
George Morrett, of Cumberland County. They
have two children; George S., and Luther O. Mr.
Diller is an ardent worker in the cause of education,
the church and Sunday-schools. He owns several
fine tracts of land with. all the necessary improve-
ments.

SAMUEL C. DILLER was born in Cumberland
County, Penn., in 1849, and is a son of Samuel and
Catherine (Richwine) Diller, of Cumberland
County. His grandfather, Diller, was a farmer in
Cumberland County, and owned about 200 acres of
land. The father was a weaver by trade but also
followed farming, owning about 600 acres of im-
proved land, which were divided into seven farms,
also 100 acres of mountain land. He came to
Franklin Township in 1867, where he remained un-
til he died, in 1873, at the age of sixty-five years.
He had eleven children: Mary A., Sarah A., "Cath-
erine A., Julia A., Simon, Joseph (deceased),
Susannah A. (deceased), Cyrus, Priscilla, S. C. and
Rose A. Samuel C. Diller assisted his father on
the farm until he was twenty-one years of age,
when he took one of his father's farms and began
farming for himself. In 1877 he sold his farm to
John Arnold, and in the spring of 1878 went to
Michigan with his family, where he remained ten
months, engaged in laboring. In the following
spring he returned to Franklin Township, where he
purchased sixty-two acres of improved land and
commenced farming again, working sometimes at
the carpenter trade. Like his ancestors, Mr. Diller
is a musician and sometimes teaches music. He
was married, in 1873, to Susan Bender, daughter of
.Joshua Bender, of Snyder County, Penn.

AARON B. FLICKER was born in 1841 in
Warringlon Township, York County, Penn., a son
of Valentine and Jane (Blackford) Elicker, natives
of Adams and York Counties, respectively. His
father was a native of Adams County, Penn". Sub-
ject's father followed farming for about thirty
years, although he was a carpenter by trade. He
ovpned 220 acres of well-improved land in Warring-
ton and Washington Townships. He was a
member of the U. B. Church, and was a liber-
al supporter of the same. He possessed more
than ordinary musical talent. He died in 1862 at
the age of sixty-seven years, leaving a widow and
six children to mourn his loss. Aaron B. was
•brought up on the farm, attended the common



schools and afterward nn academy. In 1862 he be-
gan farming in Warrington Township, and in 1864
taught school in Franklin Township, to which he
removed in 1866 and commenced farming, which he
followed for nine years. He then moved to Dills-
burgh where he remained four years; renting his
property there, returned to Franklintown, now a
borough (his buildings and part of his farm of forty
acres are within the borough limits), where he re-
sumed farming. In 186'i he married Susan E. Mil-
ler, daughter' of William B. Miller, of Carroll
Township. They have two children: William M.,
eight years old, and Olive M., four years old. Sub-
ject served the offices of town council, assessor, in-
spector, and was elected school disector in 1884 for
the term of three years. The family attend the
Presbyterian Church, of which Mrs. Elicker is a
member.

JOHN ERNST was born in 1829, in Franklin
Township, York Co., Penn., son of John and
Catharine (Ritter) Ernst, of Lancaster and Adams
Counties, respectively. His father and grandfather
were farmers, and took a lively interest in cliurch
and public affairs. The father owned 119 acres of
well-improved land in Franklin Township. He had
six children: Daniel (deceased), Susannah. Mary A.,
Daniel, Caroline (deceased) and John. The latter
was brought up on the farm, and has since followed
farmmg. Besides the home farm of 119 acres, he
owns another, adjoining, of 157 acres of well-
improved land and about forty acres of woodland.
He owns also six valuable properties in Dillsburgh,
among which is a large warehouse occupied by the
Baily Bros. Mr. Ernst is a Lutheran in religion.
He has never been married.

JOHN HUMMER was born in West Manches-
ter Township. York Co. Penn., in 1817, son of John
and Eve (Ziegler) Hummer, of German descent. The
grandfather came from Germany when very young,
and settled in West Manchester Township, where he
remained until his death. John Hummer, subject's
father, was a miller, and followed that occupation
in West Manchester, Dover and Codorus Townships,
Both he and his wife died in Dover Township. Our
subject was reared in West Manchester Township,
following farming. In 1843 he removed to Adams
County, where he remained one year. Returning to
York County, he continued farming until 1846,
when he commenced huckstering, which he con-
tinued in connection with farming for thirty-five
years. He then sold out and purchased the farm
upon which he now lives, containing about 160 acres,
which he has highly improved. He also owns the
Lucas Grove Mills, which belong to the farm. In
1844, he was married to Julia Ann Sowers, of York,
who died in 1880, leaving six children; George S.,
Sarah E., Mary A., Lillie, John and Charles E. The
family belong to the Reformed Church of Franklin
Township.

CAPT. JOHN KLUGH, is a native of York
County,Penn.. was born May 11. 1816. andis a son of
George and Hannah (Arnold) Klugh, of Lancaster
and York Counties respectively. His grandfather
came from Germany, and settled in Lancaster
County,where he engaged in farming. George Klugh
was a carpenter, and followed his trade in Franklin
Township until 1878. when he died at the age of
eighty -four years. He was blessed with the following
children: John, George, Henry, Frederick, Peter,
Joseph, Clarissa and Philip (deceased). Capt. Klugh
remained at home until his fifteenth year, when he
began learning the carpenter's trade which he
followed for thirty years. In 1860 he began mer-
cantile business in Franklintown, where he was also
postmaster. In 1864 he was elected captain of Com-
pany I, Two Hundred and Ninth Regiment Penn-
sylvania Volunteers, and with his regiment, was en-
g'aged in the battles of Hatcher's Run, and Fort



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



107



Stcadman. In the latter engagement he was wounded
in the arm; being disabled for further duty, he
returned home and resumed the mercantile business.
In 1881 he sold his stock of goods to his son-in-law,
George Lehmer, and commenced farming, owning
about 250 acres of improved land; 100 acres of wood
land, and 334 acres in Washington Township. He
also owns two houses and ten lots in Franklintown,
all of which he accumulated by hard labor; held the
office of jury commissioner, and is also a justice of
the peace. He was married in 1848, to Henrietta
Ritter, daughter of Henry Ritter, one of the earliest
settlers of York County, they have the following
children: Mary, Alice, Harry, John and Milton B.
They belong to the Lutheran Church in Franklin-
town. to which Capt. Klugh has given the
ground, and is otherwise interested in the erection
of a new church.

GEORGE LEHMER is a native of York County,
and was born October 1, 1844, a son of Cornelius
and Eve (Koch) Lehmer.of York County. His grand-
father, Philip Lehmer, also of York County, was a
farmer, owning about .500 acres of land in Washing-
ton, Franklin and Carroll Townships. Cornelius
Lehmer was also engaged in farming, and is still liv-
ing in Carroll Township. He had seven children:
Mary, George, Leah (deceased), Sarah (deceased),
James (deceased), Philip H. and Andrew J. George
Lehmer was brought up on the farm, assisting liis
father imtil the age of sixteen years, when he en-
listed, October 1, 1862, in Company D, Eighty-fourth
Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, and with his
regiment engaged in the battles of Fredericksburg
and Chancellorsville, where he was wounded in the
right arm; he was in the engagements of Mine Run,
Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor, North Ann
River, Petersburg, Mine Explosion and Richmond.
At the close of the war he returned home, and in
1868 went to Michigan, where he served two years
as an apprentice at carpentering; returning to York
County, he followed painting and carpentering four
years. In 1872 he married Mary Klugh, daughter
of Capt. John Klugh, one of the most prominent men
of this township. Mr. Lehmer became a partner with
his father-in-law in the mercantile business, and in
1881, took charge of the business himself, at which
he has since been very prosperous. In the spring of
1884 he and J. S. Bentz, of Carroll Township, went
into business in Washington Township, thus making
him one of the four leading business men of this sec-
tion of the county. In 1880 he was licensed enumer-
ator of Franklin and Washington Townships, and in
1863 was appointed mercantile appraiser of York
Oounty. He has had six children, five living: Ralph
F., Viola, Walter 8., Hattie, Georgia (deceased), and
Morris.

ROBERT C. LIVINGSTON was born in York
County, Penn., in 1815, a son of William and Mar-
garet (Cook) Livingston, of York and Cumberland
Counties respectively, and of Scotch descent. His
grandfather came from Scotland in a very early day
and settled in York County. The father, a cooper
by trade, followed farming in York County for
niany years, and died in 1846 at the age of sixty-
eight years. He had the following children: James
(deceased), Mary, William, Ellen (deceased), Robert
C, Hugh (deceased), and George (deceased). Robert
C. Livingston was brought up on the farm until the
a^e of eleven years, when he went to live with
William Diven, Esq., with whom he remained until
the age of twenty-one years. During that time he
learned the tanner's trade, wliich he followed for
thirty-one years in Adams County, Penn. He owns
about eighty-one acres of well cultivated land in
Franklin Township, where he resides. In 1838 he
married Lydia Beles, daughter of Josiah Beles, of
Adams County: James. Caleb, Robert A. (deceased),
Lorah M. (deceased), Mary E., Lydia J., Anna C,



Margaret D. (deceased), Ida C. (deceased), and
Fletcher (deceased), are the children born to this
union. Mr. Livingston is a member of the Presby-
terian Church, and his wife a member of the Epis-
copal Church. The eldest son, James, was a soldier
in the late war, and their third son. Robert, died
when in the service.

JOSEPH MENGES was born in 1830 in Jackson

I Township, York Co., Penn., son of Daniel and
Elizabeth (Bullinger) Menges, of York County.
His grandfather was a native of York County,Penn.,
and owned three fine farms in the county, but ro-

t tired from active life several years before his death,
in 1839, at the age of seventy-four years. The
father, Daniel, was brought up on the farm, and

i in 1841 he removed to Adams County, and purchased

i 170 acres of improved land, and forty acres of wood-
land. He had a family of five children: Joseph,

I Henry, Susannah, Emanuel and Franklin. Joseph
Menges went to Adams County with his parents in
1841, when only eleven years old, and worked on the
farm until he was twenty-five years old. In 1855 he
removed to York County, where he now resides,
and possesses about 105 acres of finely cultivated
land, and twenty acres of woodland, the greater part
of which he made by his own industry and eco-
nomical habits. Like all of the Menges family, he
belongs to the Lutheran Church. In 1855 he was
married to Elizabeth Coulson, daughter of William
Coulson, of Adams County. They have five chil-
dren: Sadie, Mary, Alice, Marshie and Josie. Mr.
Menges takes an active part in school and township
affairs.

EDWARD W. MUMPER is a native of Frank-
lin Township, York County, was born in 1832, a
son of Michael and Elizabeth (Weaver) Mumper,
natives of York County, Penn., and Maryland, re-
spectively. His grandfather. Mumper, owned a
large tract of land in Carroll and Franklin Town-
ships, and was engaged in farming and distilling.

j He was a member of the German Reformed Church.
Grandfather Weaver was in the war of 1812, and

I in Baltimore when Gen. Ross was killed. Michael
Mumper, father of Edward W.. was a farmer and
teamster, and followed these occupations in Frank-
lin Township until his death in 1839, at the age of
sixty-nine years. He owned 500 acres of improved
land, and 100 acres of woodland, divided into four

1 farms. He was a member of the Reformed Church

' and hadthe following children; Samuel (deceased),
Rebecca (deceased), Mary (now living). Michael
(now living), John (deceased), Elizabeth (now liv-
ing),Edward W.(now living), and Lewis (deceased).
Edward W. Mumper began farming for himself in
1852, and continued until 1880, when he retired from
active work. He owns 120 acres of improved land,
and twenty acres of woodland. In 1852 he married
Susannah Myers, daughter of Barney Myers, of
Franklin Township. They have two children:
William, who manages X^e home farm, and Mary E.
Mrs. Mumper died September 15, 1883, a member of
the Reformed Church, of which Mr. Mumper is also
a member. In October, 1884, he married Henrietta
Rice, of Adams County.

REV. HENRY SEIFERT, of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church, of Franklintown, was born in
York County August 21, 1822, and isa son of Michael
and Polly (Leimbauch) Seifert,who were descended
from old families of York County. The father was
a farmer of Dover Township, where he resided
nearly all his life. He died April 29. 1864.and the

I mother died September 21, 1850. He was a Lu-

I theran; and the mother aReformed. Rev.Henry Sei-
fert was brought up on his father's farm until he
was seventeen years of age, attending the common

j schools. He then, for eleven years, worked at
the trade of coverlet weaving and dyeing, afterward

I attending the Pennsylvania College and Seminary



HEIDELBERG TOWNSHIP.



at Gettysburg for four and oae-half years. In
1855 he went to Bedford County, where he entered
the Lutheran ministry, preaching there for four
years and a half. He "then went to Monroe County,
where he was pastor of the Hamilton charge for
nine years. Returning to his native county he took
a charge at Rossville for two years; then in Centre
County for two years; thence to Somerset County,
where he had charge tliree years. In 1876 he re-
turned to York County and assumed the charge of
Clear Spring around Franklintown, where he has
ever since been preaching. He has charge of four
congregations, two in Adams County and two in
York County. At one time he had charge of nine
congregations, whom he faithfully served. He is
now building a church in Franklintown. He was



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 188 of 218)