John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 189 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 189 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


married Dec'ember 25, 1843. to Harriet Meisenhel-
ter. daughter of John and Mary (Klinefelter) Meis-
enhelter. of York County. They have seven chil-
dren: Clara E., Martin L., David I., Mary J., El-
lennora M., John M. and Charles H.

JOHN T. SMITH was born in York County in
1831. and is a son of John W. and Hannah (Tho-
man) Smith, natives of York County. His grand-
father, also a native of York County, was a "distil-
ler and farmer in Manheim Township. Subject's
father was also engaged in farming and milling
in Shrewsbury Township. He removed to Wash-
ington Township in 1840, where he again engaged
in farming until his death in 1877. He left four
children; John T., Jacob T.. Elizabeth A., Jesse
T. (deceased). John T. Smith has been engaged in
farming all his life, and owns ninety-three'acres of
improved land with fine buildings. He belongs to
the German Reformed Church, and takes a great
interest in church and school matters. In 1860 he
was married to Anna Hollinger, daughter of George
Hollinger, of Adams County; she was born July 33,
1839, and died March 27, 1883. They had ten chil-
dren: William H. (deceased), Lizzie J. (deceased).
George C, Susan E. (deceased), John A. (deceased),
Adam, Charles E., Caroline, Rebecca (deceased),
aud Mary C.

GEORGE SPAHR was born 1834, in Washing-
ton Township, this county, son of William and
Catharine (Miley) Spahr, of the same township.
His grandfather lived in Carroll Township, York
County, and was a farmer by occupation. Sub-
ject's father was a farmer and lived in Washington
Township, owning a farm of 130 acres. He was a
Lutheran and died in Carroll Township, at the age
of eighty-four years. He had eight children:
Cornelius, Henry, Martin (deceased), William, Caro-
line, George, Catharine and Lizzie. George Spahr
was brought up as a farmer in Washington Town-
ship, but removed to Franklin Township in 1860,
where he still resides and owns a farm of 110 acres
of fine land. He also owns twenty-two acres of
land in Washington Township. In 1855 he mar-
ried Catharine Pressel, daughter of Joseph Pressel,
of Washington To ivnship. They have three chil-
dren: William, Nancy and Milton IT. Mr. Spahr is
an active member of the Lutheran Church.

MOSES STRAYER is a native of York County,
Penn., born February 14, 1808, son of Peter and
Mary (Spahr) Strayer. of York County. His grand-
parents were born in Germany; they came to this
country at an early day and settled in Dover Town-
ship, York County. The father was a farmer in
Dover Township, having a farm of about 800 acres
of well-improved land, which he farmed until fifteen
years before his death, at the age of eighty-six
years. He took an active interest in church and
school matters, gave the ground upon which
Strayer's Church is built, and was a leading mem-
ber of the building committee. He had ten chil-
dren: Catharine (deceased). Daniel (deceased),
Peter, Samuel, Jacob, Susannah, Moses, Eve (de-



ceased), Sarah (deceased) and Henry (deceased).
Moses Strayer is a farmer and a tanner by trade,
and followed these occupations for forty-nine
years, but has now retired from business. He
owns 300 acres of improved land, embracing three
farms, one in Franklin Township, one in Adams
County and one in Washington Township. He
has also a house in Dillsburghr In 1833, he married
Susannah ShefEer, daughter of Samuel Shefier, of
Washington Township, York County. She died
June 14. 1881, at the age of sixty-four j'ears, leav-
ing eight children; Cornelius, Mary, Samuel,
Lizzie, George, Catharine, Nancy aud Annie. Mr.
Strayer is a Lutheran. His wife belonged to
the iJ. B. Church. His grandfather, who has been
dead ninety-four years, is buried at Strayer's
Church, in Dover Township.



HEIDELBERG TOWNSHIP.



ANDREW R. BRODBECK, traveling sales-
man and manufacturer of fertilizers, was born
April 11, 1860. in Jefferson. York Co., Penn., a son
of Jesse and Lucy Ann (Renoll) Brodbeck. His
grandfather was a farmer and distiller, who owned
and lived on the old Snyder property (now Brod-
beck's) at Jefferson, and died at the age of fifty
years. He left five sons, of whom the youngest
was Jesse Brodbeck, who all his life lived on the
home farm, and died in 1871, at the age of thirty-
three years, and Lucy Ann the mother of A. R.
died in 1878 at the age of thirty-seven years, leav-
ing four sons, of whom A. R.. the subject, is the
eldest. His brothers were Nathaniel (deceased),
Adam (deceased), and Jesse, • who is living with
Andrew Brodbeck on the home farm. A. R. Brod-
beck spent his early life on the farm, and shortly
after his father's death, went to his uncle. George
Brodbeck. a merchant in Codorus Township,
where he remained two years. At the age of eight-
een he began teaching at Codorus Township, aud
for threeyears taught "there and in other townships.
In 1879 he took a trip west as far as Kansas. In
the same year he married Ellen Thoman, daughter
of Jacob and Mary Ann (Snyder) Thoman, of
Heidelberg Township. They have three children;
Estella, Wilson and Mary Ellen. In 1880 he pur-
chased the Hildebrand property at Porter's Side-
ling and, in 1885. the Slagle property in Hanover,
where he is now residing. Mr. and Mrs. Brod-
beck belong to the Reformed Church at Jefferson.
He has been organist for different churches.

CHARLES F. EICHELBER6ER was born in
York County.' Penn., July 2, 1834. His great-great-
grandfather came from Wittingen, near Zinsheim,
in Wurtemberg, Germany, in 1728, locatedfirst in
Lancaster County, and then came to York
County, Penn., and settled on the property
now owned by Charles P. Eichelberger, em-
bracing at that time Jacob's Mill and the adjoin-
ing property. He died in Hanover in 1776.
aged eighty-three years. He was married twice.
The eldest son of his second wife, Adam, lived on
the home farm, and also died there. Michael, the
grandfather of the subject, was the second son of a
family of five sons and three daughters. He had
four children; Adam (former sheriff), George,
Michael and Polly. George, the father of Charles
P., bought the homestead from his^brtrthsr Adam,
in 1837. and afterward bought the Millgr property.
After he lived there some time he Tnloved to Han-
over, where he lived a retired life until he died, in



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



1869, aged sixty-nine years. Charles F. Eichel-
berger's early life was spent on the farm. He was
married February 25, 1858, to Susan Menges,
daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth (Bollinger)
Menges, of Adams County, Penn. They have
had four sons and five daughters: Martin D., Ira
M., George D., William H., Sarah (deceased), Em-
ma J., Clara Ann, Ada E. and Jennie. After his
marriage he lived on the Miller farm for two years
as tenant, and then took the farm and lived there
four years more. After that he sold some of his
property and bought the homestead farm on the
York Road, owned by his brother Adam, contain-
ing about 300 acres of well-improved land. The
family are members of St. Matthew's Lutheran
Church, of Hanover, Penn., in which Mr. Eichel-
berger has held the offices of elder and deacon.
He was superintendent of Mt. Carmel Sunday-
school for four years. He is a Democrat, and has
held a number of offices in township and county

JOHN P. HERSHEY was born in Heidelperg
Township, York Co., Penn., October 24, 1845, a son
of Benjamin and Barbara (Forry) Hershey, who
were of Swiss descent. His great-great-grandfather,
Andrew Hershey, born 1698, came to this country
when quite young, and settled in Lancaster County,
Penn. He died December 25, 1754. Tradition
says he owned and was buried on what is known as
James Buchanan's farm, near Lancaster City. His
son, John Hershey, came to York County, and set-
tled on land that had been taken up by Andrew
Hershey, in the eastern part of Heidelberg Town-
ship. He died in 1795, and was buried in Garber's
graveyard, near Menges' Mill. His son, John
Hershey, took the homestead farm (Menges' Mill),
where he lived all his life. He was one of the de-
fenders of 1812, and died in 1829. His son, Benja-
min, the father of John F. Hershey, was born in
1808. and spent his early life on the farm, and work-
ing in mills in Ohio, Maryland and Pennsylvania.
He was married in 1844, to Barbara, daughter of
John and Annie Forry. After his marriage he
bought a farm one-half mile west of Menges' mill,
where he lived until his death (1877), his widow
surviving him but live years. Both are buried in
Garber's graveyard. John F. Hershey's early life
was spent on the farm.\ He was married December
17, 1868, to Susan M. Miller, daughter of Jacob and
Susan (Mause) Miller, of Heidelberg Township.
They have had four sons: J. Jacob, Joseph (de- j
ceased). Charles and Alvin. Mr. Hershey owns one
tract of land, about 106 acres, which he has brought
to a high state of cultivation. \

JESSE KRAFT, a representative of one of the I
old families of York County, miller and farmer of
Heidelberg Township, was born August 5, 1828, in |
ManheimTownship.YorkCounty, son of George and
Mary (Loucks) Kraft. Subject's great-grandfather
was born on the ocean, when his parents were im- !
migrating to America. They landed at Baltimore,
and resided there. Subject's grandfather, Fred-
erick, lived in Baltimore as proprietor of a hotel
until 1810. when he came to York County, and
founded the town of Kraftstown, which, since Jef-
ferson's presidency, is known as Jeilerson. He was
born December 6, 1773, and died July 20, 1836.
Subject's father, George, was ten years of age when
his parents came to Jefferson. He was married in
1823, and soon after commenced teaching. Sub-
sequently he removed to Manheim Township, con- I
tinued teaching, and opened up a small store, re-
mained in Manheim, farming and merchandising
about ten years; then returned to Jefferson and
opened up in general merchandising and dry goods.
He was associated in business there with a son-in- t
law, Jacob Spangler. He subsequently retired !
from business life, and lived in retirement until his I
death in 1868, being sixty-eight years old. He was !



a prominent Democrat, and at one time represented
his district in the State Legislature. His wife died
in 1872. Jesse Kraft is the third child of a family
of six— three sons and three daughters. Subject's
early life was passed as an assistant of his father;
educated in schools of the day; married, in 1851. to
Lucinda Baughman, of Manheim Township. This
union was blessed with ten children— four sons and
six daughters. Subject farmed for about ten years
near Jefferson, when he exchanged his farm for the
Mummert Mill property, lying in Heidelberg Town-
ship, where he is still residing, engaged in farming
and milling. Pie is a prominent member of the
Lutheran Church of Jefferson, and has been deacon
and elder of the church at different times for over
twenty-tive years; active in Sunday-school, etc.
He Is one of York County's well-known citizens and
highly esteemed. He is a Democrat, but not active
in politics.

PETER H. MENGES was born in north Codo-
rus Township, York Co., Penn., November 27,
1835, son of Peter and Nancy (Hershey) Menges, of
German and Swiss descent, respectively. His great-
grandfather came from Germany when quite young,
and settled about five miles west of York, some time
before the Revolutionary war. He is buried at
Wolf's Church in West Manchester Township. The
grandfather, John Menges, was a farmer, and set-
tled in that part of the home section now owned by
Andrew Menges, in Jackson Township. He had a
family of thirteen children, and died at the age of
sixty-nine years. Peter Menges, Sr., the fifth child
of this family of thirteen children, was born July
1, 1802, and spent his early life on the farm, and
then learned the milling trade in Cumberland
County, Penn. After his marriage he moved to his
father's farm in North Codorus Township, which
he farmed for eleven years, then came to Heidelberg
Township, and purchased the farm and property



(Menge's Mill) where he passed the remainder of his
life. He died October 10, 1883, and is buried at Lich-
ey's Church, of which church he was elder for nearly
twenty years. During the last twenty years of his
life, he devoted his time to the good of the church.
Throughout the whole community he was known as
"Old Father Menges." Two of his sons are living:
Peter H. and John. The latter was born in 1824,
and is a minister of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church. He was educated at Mount Joy, Lancas-
ter County; was received into the ministry by the
"Old Pennsylvania Synod" in 1851, and has since
filled various charges in Lancaster and York Coun-
ties. In 1880 he became pastor of Grace Evangel-
ical Lutheran Church, at West Philadelphia. With
a few members he built a Mission Church, and now
he has a large membership and a successful Sunday-
school. Peter H. Menges' early life was spent on
the farm and at milling, receiving his education at
subscription schools, finishing at the public school
at Columbia, Penn., and the high school of Mount
Joy, Penn. For eleven years afterward he was en-
gaged as a teamster, hauling lumber, merchandise,
etc., between Littlestown and Susquehanna River.
He was married, January 24, 1860, to Kate Hinkle,
daughter of Isaac and Elizabeth Hinkle, of Lancas-
ter County, Penn., of Irish and German descent.
They have had seven children— three sons and four
daughters: John, Alvin, Willie, Annie, Mary (de-
ceased), Pacie (deceased) and Minnie. After mar-
riage they moved to the homestead farm, as tenants,
where they remained ten years, after which Mr.
Menges engaged in the jnilling and produce bus-
iness. After the construction of the H. & Y. R. R.,
he purchased and built the property known as
Menges' Mill, store and warehouse, creating thereby
a good market for produce. He was an active par-
ticipant in the construction of the above railroad.
He and family are members of the Lutheran Church



no



HEIDELBERG TOWNSHIP.



at Lichey's (now Spring Grove), in which he was a
deacon eight years, and Sunday-school superintend-
ent for nearly twenty-flve years. In 1875 he was a
delegate to the Sunday-school convention at Phila-
delphia. He has held the office of internal revenue
collector Fifteenth Division of Pennsylvania, in
1863 and 1864, and school director in the township.
E. D. MILLER was born in Lower Windsor
Township, York Co., Penn., December 8, 18.i4, a
son of Michael and Catherine (Stein) Miller, also of
that township. His great-great-grandfather, Michael
Miller, came to this country in youth, settled in
Windsor Township, near Red Lion, and died before
the Revolutionary war, and is buried at Freysville
Cemeterv in Windsor Township. Subject's grand-
father. Michael Miller, lived on the homestead farm
near Red Lion, and was at that time known as the
tallest man in York County; he was a miller and
died in 1866, aged eighty-two years. The father of
our subject is now living in Windsor Township, and
was born in 1821. He is a farmer and owns four
tracts of land. He was for a number of years a.
director of the Western National Bank of York,
and is also interested in the First National Bank at
Wrightsville. and the city market of York. They
had six children: E. D., Michael W., Calvin Ed-
ward, David G., Mary (deceased), Fanny A. and
Sarah J. E. D. Miller's early life was spent on the
farm and attending public schools. He afterward
taught school in different townships, and was clerk
for Emig & Bahn at New Freedom, Penn., for three

Esars. He was married, December 26, 1876, to
aura C. Sweeney, daughter of Daniel and He.ster
Ann (Kohler) Sweeney, "of Freeland, Baltimore Co.,
Md., of Scotch-Irish descent. In the spring of
1877 he commenced the mercantile business at
Nashville, York County, where he kept store two
years, and then came to Menges' Mill Station, where
he is still keeping store, postoffice and express office.
He has been a member of Friendly Circle No. 17,
of Hanover, Penn., since 1881, and'is a member of
the German Reformed Church. His wife is a mem-
ber of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Since
1883 he has also established a store at Iron Ridge,
in which he has one-half-interest.

AARON D. RENOLL, was born in Heidelberg
Township, York Co., Penn.. March 11, 1844, and
is the son of Henry and Mary (Danner) RenoU.
His great-grandfather was Daniel Renoll, who died
in 1800, aged seventy-six years. Subject's grand-
father, Henry Renoll, was born February 12, 1767,
was twice married, and died in 1821. aged fifty
seven years, leaving a family of six sons and four
daughters. Henr}' Renoll, the father of Aaron D.,
bought a tract of land near Porter's Sideling in 1830,
which he improved and made his home until his
death. Hewas born in Codorus Township, in 1805,
and died at the age of seventy-five years. He had
three sons and four daughters: Henry (deceased),
Emanuel D., Aaron D., Harriet (deceased), Anna.
Mary and two sisters who died in infancy. Aaron
D. received his early education in the common
schools and afterward attended the York County
Academy under Prof. Ruby, for one term. During
the winter of 1866-67 he taught school in Heidel-
berg Township. October 13, 1867, he married Re-
becca Rudisill, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth
(Miller) Rudisill, of North Codorus Township.
They have three children: Emma Jane, Ellen J. and
Lillie A. After his marriage Mr. Renoll moved to
the homestead farm, where' he lived as a tenant for
fourteen years. He then bought the farm, and in
1882 bought the Bollinger property (Half Way
House), on the York road. He is a member and
deacon of the Lutheran Church. His wife is a
member of the German Reformed Church. Mr.
Renoll takes an active part in prayer meetings and
Sunday-schools.



AARON S. THOMAN, was born September 25,
1842, in Heidelberg Township, York Co., Penn.;
son of Jacob and Mary Ann (Snyder) Thoman, of
Swiss descent. His greatgrandfather, Jacob Tho-
man, came from Switzerland when very young and
settled in Lancaster County, Penn.-, west of the Sus-
quehanna. He afterward came to York County,
where he took up a section of land in the eastern
part of Heidelberg Township, and remained there
with his ten children, three of whom, Henry, Ru-
dolph and Abraham, received the home farm. The
latter, the grandfather of our subject, lived on the
home farm, during his life. He had nine children,
one of whom, Jacob, the father of Aaron S,, received
the home at his father's death, and resided on it
during his life. Jacob Thoman had five sons and
three daughters: Henry (deceased), Aaron S.,
George, Abraham, Jacob, Lydia, Elizabeth and
Ellen R. Aaron S. Thoman spent his youth on the
farm, receiving his education in subscription
schools. He made three different tours through the
Western States. He was married. May 12, 1870, to
Fanny Hohf, daughter of David and Elizabeth
(Baehr) Hohf, of Heidelberg Township, who died
July 3. 1871. His second marriage was October 5,
•1873. to Sarah Bollinger, daughter of Samuel and
Eliza (Forry) Bollinger, of this township. He re-
tired from farming and is now living on the old
home farm, which contains about 150 acres of fine
cultivated land. He and his wife are members of
the German Reformed Church at Leichey. They
have one son, Paul B. aged eight years.

JOHN B. TRONE was born August 27, 1827,
and is the eighth of twelve children of George
•Trone, of Heidelberg Township. His grandfather,
Abraham Trone, came from Germany and received
a grant of 250 acres of land from the Penns, May
14, 1767. This land was located in what was then
Manheim Township, now the central part of Heidel-
berg Township, near Smith's Station. Abraham
Trone was a Revolutionary hero. He was married
twice and had a family of seven children. George,
the father of John B., was the first son of the sec-
ondwife. He lived on the homestead farm until
his death at eighty years of age. and was buried at
the Mennonite Meeting House (Baer's), of which de-
nomination he was a minister. John B. Trone
spent his early life on the farm, receiving his edu-
cation in subscription schools. At the age of eight-
een he began learning the trade of blacksmithing,
and continued it at Trone's Stand, Smith's Station,
for twenty-two years. His first marriage was to
Eliza Shutt, daughter of Joseph Shutt, of Heidel-
berg Township. They had five children: Valen-
tine, Franklin (deceased), John S., Lizzie and
Mary (deceased). His second marriage was. May 20,
1866', to Annie Rohrbaugh, daughter of George and
Sarah Rohrbaugh, of this township. They have
had six children: Charles, Joseph, George, an
infant (deceased), Sarah and Alia Mary. Mr. Trone
is now farming near Smith's Station. ' He is a mem-
ber of the German Reformed Church, is a promi-
nent Democrat and has held various offices of trust
and profit in church and township. His son, John
S. Trone, a dealer in general merchandise at Smith's
Station, and a teacher, was born August 1, 1856,
passed his early life on the farm, was educated at
different schools. He taught school for several
years, and is now a successful merchant and also a
justice of the peace of Heidelberg Township at
Smith's Station.

E. K. WALTERSDORFF was born April 21,
1836, in Heidelberg Township, York Co., Penn., son
of Daniel and Catharine (Carver) Waltersdorff.
His father came from Germany at the age of twen-
ty-one years, and settled in Maryland, where he
married Elizabeth Garrett, who died, leaving four
sons and three daughters. After twenty years of"



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



Ill



residence in Maryland he removed to Heidelberg
Township and there married again, having three
sons and one daughter by this 'union. He was a
defender of 1813, and died in 1863 aged ninety
three years. E. K. Waltersdorff spent his early
life on the farm and attended subscription schools
till he was eighteen years of age. He was married,
September 30, 1855, to Catharine Bricker, daughter
of John and Christiana (Warner) Bricker, of Man-
heim Township. They have had eleven children —
eight sons and three daughters: Samuel A., James
H., George W., an infant (deceased), Emanuel D.,
John F., Aaron E., AVilliam H. (deceased) Emeline
(deceased), Eleanora and Alice Catharine. He
worked his father's farm until 1877, when he moved |
toHeidelbergTownship.to the Heistand farm, where
he is now living. George W.. the third son, was born
July 4, 1863, and spent his early life on the farm. In
1881 and 1883 he attended York County Academy. I
He has taught school successfully in different town- j
ships, and is now a teacher in Heidelberg Town
ship, and is living with his father.



HOPEWELL TOWNSHIP.

8ILUS ALTHOUSE, son of George and Maria
(Silfeus) Althouse, was born August 8, 1844, in Lan-
caster County, Penn., but removed to Hopewell
Township with his father in 1853. He was brought
up in this township, and at nineteen years of age
commenced farming for himself. In 1873 he pur-
chased the farm on which he now resides, contain-
ing 145 acres, and engaged in farming. He was
married, February 11, 1866, to Mary J. Householder,
daughter of Henry Householder, of Hopewell
Township. They have the following children;
Catherine L., Emanuel F., Henry H., Bethey A.
and Abbie G. Mr. and Mrs. Althouse are members
of the Presbyterian Church of Stewartstown.

JOSEPH W. ANDERSON, son of Joseph R.
and Elizabeth (Wilson) Anderson, of York County,
Penn., was born February 5, 1837, in Fawn Town-
ship, York County. He lived on the farm with his
parents until 1871, receiving his education at the
public schools of the township. February 23, 1871,
he was married to Louisa Gemmill, daughter of Ben-
jamin Gemmill, of Fawn Township. They have
three children: Marion E., Howard Wilson and
Joseph Ray. Mr. Anderson purchased his present
farm of 203 acres in 1870, and has resided there ever
since, dealing in phosphates in connection with
farming. He and his wife belong to the Presby-
terian Church of Hopewell Center.

HENRY ANSTINE, son of Henry and Eliza-
beth (Miller) Anstine, of Hopewell Township, was
born March 33, 1833. and is the tenth of thirteen
children. Until he was twenty-six years of age he
remained on the home farm, attending the public
schools of the township, after which he purchased
a portion of the homestead farm, where he has
since resided and gradually enlarged his farm until
he now owns about eighty-eight acres, with fine
farm buildings. January 17, 1856, he married Cath-
erine Grove, daughter of Henry Grove, Esq., of
Hopewell Township. They have five children:
James R., Mary V. G, Ella E., Lottie E., George
McC. In 1875 he was elected supervisor of his



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 189 of 218)