John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 190 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 190 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


township, and re-elected the following year. In
the fall of 1884 he received the Democratic nomina-
tion for commissioner for three years, and was
elected. The family are members of the Methodist
Episcopal Church at Stewartstown.



MRS. MARY J. ARTHUR, widow of Richard
Arthur, and daughter of A. S. and Rebecca (Turner)
Jordan, of Hopewell Township, was horn in Hope-
well Township, York Co., Penn., May 10, ,1826.
She was married, in 1851, to Richard Arthur, son of
John and Clemence (Thompson) Arthur, who was
born in Harford County, Md., in 1825. He came to
York County in 1854, and engaged in farming near
Stewartstown, and after remaining there two years
removed to Iowa, and engaged in stock-raising. He
enlisted, in 1863, in Company B, Twenty-second
Regiment Iowa Volunteers, and held the position of
orderly sergeant. He was wounded at the battle of
Vicksburg, from the effects of which he died, June
1, 1863. His widow returned to York County, Penn..
in 1867, and purchased the residence she now
occupies. She has three children: John S., T. Frank
and Rebecca A. John S. is engaged in farming
and canning in Baltimore County, Md. and T. F.
Arthur is a'dentisl in Baltimore, Md. Mrs. Arthur's
brother was a medical doctor in Baltimore.

JOSEPH H. BELL is a son of David and Han-
nah (Norris) Bell, of York County. He was born in
January, 181-7. and reared in Hopewell Township,
and has been engaged in farming, carpentering and
also butchering. In 1843 he was married to Sarah
J. Thrue, who died on June 7, 1876. They had
eleven children. In 1881 he married Lizzie (Wal-
ter) Myer, of Hopewell Township. They have two
children. Mr. Bell is a member of the Protestant
Methodist Church.

CORNELIUS COLLINS, son of John and Mar-
garet (Gemmill) Collins, was born November 6, 1813,
and was educated at the public schools of Hopewell
Township. He remained on the home farm until
1848, when he married Elizabeth S. Gordon, daugh-
ter of Andrew Gordon, of Hopewell Township,
who emigrated from Ireland and settled on land
which now forms a part of his son-in-law's farm.
The grandfather of Mr. Collins came from Scot-
land. Mr. Collins has a family of six children:
Andrew G., John W., Alexander D., Mary E., Sam-
uel C. Mrs. Collins died October 30, 1865. One of
the sons, John W., is a resident of Cheyenne, Wyo-
ming Territory, and is cashier for Martin E. Post &
Co., bankers; Andrew G. is in Hebron, Neb., and
is president of a banking house; Alexander is cash-
ier of the Shrewsbury Savings Bank; Samuel is at
home with his father, and helping him on the farm,
which contains about 303 acres of cultivated land
and forty acres of timber. Mr. Collins' second
marriage was to Balinda J. Manifold, of Hopewell
Township, daughter of Solomon Manifold; she died
January 29, 1873, leaving one daughter — Sarah E.
Mr. Collins is a member of the United Presbyterian
Church of Hopewell Township.

WILLIAM S. DOUGLASS, son of David and Ann
(Brannon) Douglass, natives of Chanceford and
Fawn Townships, respectively, was born in Hope-
well Township in 1832, and was reared and edu-
cated at the public schools in the same township.
At the age of eighteen years he learned the plaster-
er's trade, and at the age of twenty-one hereturned
to the homestead and assisted his father in farming.
In 1883 he engaged in the hotel business at the old
stand at Mt. Pleasant, formerly kept by his father
for fifteen years. In addition to keeping hotel he
does some farming, having, in 1878, purchased a
farm of forty acres in Hopewell Township. In
1863 he was married to Lavinia Minnich, daughter
of Joseph Minnich, of Hopewell Township, and has
six children; Samuel S.,-Emma J., Mathew W.
William S., John McN. and Clarence. In 1864 he
received the commission of second lieutenant in
Company B. Two Hundred and Ninth Regiment
Pennsylvania Volunteers, from Gov. Curtin, and was
discharged in 1865. He participated in the battles
of Bermuda Hundred, Hatcher's Run and Fort



112



HOPEWELL TOWNSHIP.



Steadmau. In 1865 he was appointed storekeeper
and United States ganger for the. Fifteenth Dis-
trict of Pennsj'lvania, and held that office until
1868. Mr. Douglass is an active business man. His
hotel, which is conveniently located, ofEers all the
comforts a traveling man wants, and shows plainly
that Mr. Douglass knows how to keep a hotel.

JUDGE ADAM EBAUGH, son of" John and Sa-
rah (Flowers) Ebaugh was horn August 4, 1806, on
the homestead. His grandparents, on mother's side,
were natives of England and Alsace, respectively,
who settled near Philadelphia. His grandparents
on father's side (John Jacob) came from Switzer-
land in 1740, and settled in what is now Carroll
County, Md. His parents had twelve children, of
whom he is the seventh son, the father dying in

1833. After being educated at the public schools
he took charge of the farm and mill property, which
his father had willed to him. and has since been
principally engaged in farming and milling. In
May, 1833, he married Willie E. Bosley, daughter
of B. and Susan (Brooks) Bosley, who died in June,

1834. In 1837 he married Elizabeth Anstine,
daughter of Henry and Elizabeth Anstine, of Hope-
well, and had ten children; John, William C., Sa-
rah A., Elizabeth R. (deceased), Mary E., Nancy E.,
Isabella A., Adam B., Martha J. F. (deceased) and
Barbara L. Mr. Ebaugh has always been an active
politician. He was drum-major for seven years of
the Sixty-fourth Pennsylvania Militia; was after-
ward elected lieutenant of the Jackson Grays, of
Shrewsbury, and elected captain of the Mechan-
icsburgh Rifles, which office he held for twelve
years, during which time his command was called
out to suppress the riots at Philadelphia, in 1843.
February 6, 1834, he was appointed justice of the
peace by Gov. George Wolf. In 1837 he was elect-
ed assessor of Hopewell Township; he served six-
teen years as school director, and in 1840 was elect-
ed to the legislature for 1841-42. In 1843 he was
elected senator, and served in 1844-4.5-46. After
that he was appointed State agent for the York &
Cumberland Railroad by Gov. Bigler, and held that
position for six years. In 18.56 he was elected as-
sociate judge for five years, and was re-elected in
1861 for five years more. He served in about twen-
ty county and five Slate conventions. Mr. Ebaugh
has voted for fifty-seven years, and has always been
a sterling Democrat. He is a member of ihe Ma-
sonic order, York Lodge No. 266, and of Mt. Zion
No. 74, of York I. O. O. F., and is a member of the
Baptist Church at Hopewell. At his advanced age
he is in excellent health.

DR. JOHN L. FREE is a son of Peter and
Naomi (Lowe) Free, of Baltimore County, Md.. and
was born in that county March 5, 1821, and came
with his parents, in 1823, to Shrewsbury Township,
where they settled and resided until the father's
death in 1860. He received his early education in
the schools of Shrewsbury, took up the study of
medicine in 1844, and graduated from the Univer-
sity of Maryland in 1848. He first practiced med-
icine in Dillsburgh and New Freedom until 1849,
when he went to Philadelphia andattended a course
of lectures. In 1850 he moved to Stewardstown,
built Jhis present residence, and established an ex-
tensive practice, which he enjoys to the present
day. In 1852 he was married to Martha J. Jordan-
of Hopewell Township, who died in 1871. His sec.
ond marriage was, in 1873, to Jennie A. Wiley, of
Hartford County, Md. They have four living
children; .lennie A., Evans M., Naomi E. and Liz-
zie E. He and his wife are members of the Method-
ist Episcopal Church. Dr. Free was one of the
foundei's of the English and Classical Institute,
located at Stewartstown. of which he has been a
trustee since its organization, now over Ihirtyyears.
He also took an active part in securing a charter



from the legislature, constituting the borough of
Stewardstown. Since his residence here it has been
a prosperous, growing place. Three churches have
been built, and with the railroad nearly completed
to New Freedom, its further prosperity seems as-
sured.

CORNELIUS GEESEY, son of Samuel and
Sarah (Reichard) Geesey, of York Township, was
born May 12, 1849. He remained on the home-
stead until he was nineteen years of age, when he
began learning the trade of stone-mason, at which
he worked for two years, and afterward followed
bricklaying for eight years. In 1876, in company
with John Kohler, he purchased a farm of 197 acres
at Chanceford, and engaged in farming for five
years, after which he removed to Winterstown, and
purchased a hotel, which he has kept ever since.
He is also engaged in manufacturing ice cream.
He was married, in 1875, to Mary Ness, of York
Township. They have three children: Laura,
Sarah E. and Francis. Mr. and Mrs.
members of the Lutheran Church.

JOHN C. GEMMILL, son of Joseph and Marga-
ret (Collins) Gemmill, was born April 4, 1822. His
great-grandfather, William Gemmill, was a native
of Scotland and immigrated to America some time
previous to 1750, settling in Hopewell Township,
York Co., Penn., a part formerly known as Shrews-
bury Township, taking up about 1,000 acres of land.
Joseph Gemmill, father of John C, was born April
26, 1794, on the farm now occupied by his son. He
was at one time engaged in distilling liquors. He
reared six children, of whom John C. was the eldest,
and who was brought up on the farm. Joseph
Gemmill, who had been in the war of 1812, died in
1868, and at his death the farm of 200 acres came
into the possession of his son, John C, who in the
same year was married to Rosanna McKinley,
daughter of Stephen McKinley, of Chanceford
Township. They have four children: Ulysses C,
Jeanetia B., A. A., Ada, and John M. Mr. Gemmill
was drafted during the late war, in 1861, but was
exempted on account of disability. He is a mem-
ber of the Masonic Lodge of Shrewsbury, and the
family are members of the Presbyterian Church of
Stewartstown. He has a clock in his possession
which was nyide by John Gemmill, in Carlisle; it
belonged to his great-grandfather, and has always
remained in the family.

JOHN S. GEMMILL. son of Robert and Eliza-
beth (Dorris) Gemmill, of York County, Penn., was
born December 13, 1844, on the farm where he now
resides. His grandfather came from Scotland and
settled on a farm of 135 acres, near New Park.
Penn. The father of John S. was born in 1807, was
brought up on a farm, and finally moved to a farm
of 145 acres, which is now owned by his son, and
where he died in 1878. John S. was reared on a
farm and has followed farming since. He was mar-
ried, in 1872, to Rachel B. Robinson, daughter
of William Robinson, of Harford County, Md.
Thev have eight children: Nettie B,, Mary E.,
William James, Charles C, Edith P., Edna L..
Robert B. and Joseph S Mr. and Mrs. Gemmill
are members of the Presbyterian Church of Centre.
Robert Gemmill. subject's father, was at one time
commissioner of York County, Penn., for three
years, and has also held several minor township
oflices.

JOHN K. GREEN, son of Giles T. and Debo-
rah (Kirkwook) Green, natives of Harford County,
Md., was there born September 6, 1829. His par-
ents came to York County, Penn., in 1830. His
father settled at Grove's Mill, where he carried on
blacksmilhing. He died in 1864, and the mother
died in 1847; he left eleven children by his
first wife, of whom John K. is the fifth child. The
latter lived with his grandparents until fifteen years



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



113



of age, when he came to York County. In 18.51 he
began learning the carpenter's trade, which he has
since followed. In 186i he enlisted in Company H,
Seventh Maryland Vounteers, and served until the
close of the war, participating in the battles of
the Wilderness, Cold Harbor, Five Porks and
Petersburgh. In January, 1864, he was promoted to
the rank of first lieutenant, wliich rank he held to
the close of the war. He came to Stewartstown in
1853, where he has since resided, and 'owns some
very valuable properties in the town. He was mar-
ried, October 13, 1854, to Alice A. Fulton, daughter
of Hugh and Jane Fulton, of Hopewell Township,
and has two children; Hugh T. and Ida May
(Ritchie). Mr. Green is a member of the G. A. R.,
of Stewartstown, has been justice of the peace of
the borougli for five years, and at present time
holds the office of notary public.

ANTHONY GRIME (or as he is familiarly called
"Webster Grime), son of Daniel and Catherine (Sny-
der) Grime, was born February 13, 1835, in York
Township. He received a com'mon school educa-
t'ion and taught school for ten terms in York, Wind-
sor and Springfield Townships. At the breaking
out of the Rebellion Mr. Grime promptly respond-
ed to his country's call, and enlisted in Company C,
Eighty-seventh Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers
(August 37, 1861), and was with his regiment until
taken prisoner June 33, 1864, in front of Peters-
burg. He was taken to Libbjr prison, then to
Castle Thunder and Belle Island; was taken to
Danville; after a short stay was removed to Ander-
sonville, remaining a prisoner of war from June 33,
1864,' to March 31, 1865. After being honorably
discharged he returned to his native county, where
he has since resided. He has, for many years, been
the weekly correspondent of the Pen>isi/lvanian,a.nd
for some time correspondent of the WeeMi/ Repub-
lican, Oazette and True Democrat for Hopewell and
surrounding townships.

WILLIAM HAJUMEL was born in Baltimore,
Md., and is a son of Jacob and Margaret
(Gruber) Hammel. His mother was a native of
Philadelphia, Penn. His father was born in Ger-
many, and immigrated to this country in 1831, set-
tling in Baltimore, Md. Our subject, at the age of
nineteen years, began learning the trade of coach
painter, and served three years apprenticeship. In
1865 he came to Hopewell Township, and purchased
a farm of 150 acres. In 1867 he returned to Balti-
more, and engaged in the wholesaleliquorbjsiness.
He has one of the finest places in the township.

JESSE HAMMER, Sr. ,son of George and Cather-
ine (Purkeypile) Hammer, was born November 3,
1819. His father was a native of Germany and
immigrated to this country at an early date, and set-
tled in Baltimore, where he engaged in the butcher
business. He died when his son Jesse was very
young, and two years later the mother removed to
Hopewell Township, York Co., Penn., where the
son, Jesse, was reared and educated in the public
schools. When Jesse was eight years old his
mother died, and he was adopted by his uncle,
Moses Leib. At the age of twenty-one years, Mr.
Hammer was married to Mary A. Wiuemiller,
daughter of John Winemiller, of Hopewell Town-
ship. In 1847 he purchased a farm of 130 acres,
where he now resides. They have three children
living: Catharine A., Mary J. and George W.
Mr. and Mrs. Hammer belong to the Presbyterian
Church of Hopewell Center.

J. C. HAMMOND, son of Henry and Sarah
(Coulson) Hammond, natives of Baltimore County,
Md., was born in Hopewell Township, York
County, May 13, 1834. His grandfather, Philip
Hammond, came to York County in 1815, settling
in Hopewell Township. Henry Hammond,
subject's father, was born July 3, 1793, came to



York County in 1815, and settled in Hopewell
Township, where he resided until his death in 1878.
He held the office of commi.'^sioner from 1865 to
1868,- The mother of our subject is still living at
the age of eighty-seven years. J. C. remained on
the home farm until 1876, when he engaged as
clerk with James Fulton, of Stewartstown, with
whom he remained four years. He is now a dealer
in agricultural implements, also has a book store
and circulating library. In 1867 he was appointed
mercantile appraiser for the county, and held that
ofiice one year. He "owns two valuable properties
in Stewartstown, an interest in a farm of 360 acres
in Baltimore County, Md., and has an interest in a
farm of 100 acres in Harford County, Md.

DR. CHARLES G. HILDEBRAND, son of
Dietrich and Maria (Leider) Hildebrand, natives of
York County, Penn., was born in Loganville, York
County, December 81, 1859. His father, also born
at Loganville, is a shoe-maker by trade, and in 1864
was elected justice of the peace, which office he
still holds. He had a family of three children, of
whom Charles G. is the eldest. Our subject was
educated at the public schools, and at the age of
fifteen years began teaching. After teaching three
years he entered the York Collegiate Institute, where
he remained one year. He then studied medicine
witli Dr. G P.Yost, of Loganville, for three years,
after which he took two courses of lectures at the
College of Physicians and Surgeons, at Baltimore,
.graduating in 1881. He located at Wiuterstown
the following April, and has since resided there,
enjoying an extensive practice. In 1878 he married
Kate Feigley. daughter of Martin Feigley, of
Loganville. They have two children; Esther M.
and Robert L. Dr. Hildebrand is a member of the
York County Medical Society and the American
Medical Association. He has been one of the
council of Winterstown, and at present is school
director. His wife is a member of the Brethren
Church of Springfield.

JAMES C. JORDAN, son of Joseph and Mary
(Cowden) Jordan, was born July 8. 1833. His
mother was a daughter of Matthew Cowden, of Har-
risburg, Penn. His grandfather, Thomas Jordan,
a native of Ireland, immigrated to this country in
1760. and settled in what is now known as Hope-
well Township, and on the same property now
owned by his grandson. He was a prominent man
in the county in his day; was justice of the peace
for many years. He was married first to a Miss
Hood, of Cecil County, Md., who left one child,
John Jordan. The second marriage was to Ann
Dixon, of Pennsylvania, and they had si.x children.
Subject's father died when James C. was fifteen
years old. At twenty-one years of age, James C.
took the management of the home farm, having
purchased his brother's share. In 1879 he engaged
in canning fruit and veeetables, which he carried
on to a large extent. He was married, March 13,
1857, to Mary Mitchell, daughter of Joseph and
Margaret Mitchell, and grand-daughter of Rev. Dr.
Morton, of Chanceford. They haVe eight children:
Mary M., Joseph M., Thomas M., Annie M., James
F., Samuel M., Ralph R. and George I. Mr. Jordan
was one of Gov. Pollock's aides in 1856, with the
rank of lieutenant-colonel, Mrs. Jordan died in
1876. Mr, Jordan is a member of the Masonic
fraternity, and is also a member and elder of Centre
Presbyterian Church, of Hopewell. His father
was a soldier in the war of 1813. Mr. Jordan now
owns 300 acres, which descended to him from his
grandfather, who on arriving here took up about
500 acres.

J. R, W. KEESEY, son of Jacob and Catherine
(Hyson) Keesey, of Hopewell Township. York
County, Penn., was born in said township, May 17.
1855, "At the age of ten years he moved to Chance-



114



HOPEWELL TOWNSHIP.



ford Township with his parents. In 1873 he re-
turned to Hopewell Townsliip, and began learning
the milling business with his grandfather, Hyson,
in whose employ he remained until 1877, when he
entered the mill and carried on the business four
years. In 1881 he purchased a store property and
twenty-two acres of land at Mt. Pleasant, and
carried on a general merchandise business for two
years; then he sold his stock of goods and leased
the store. He then followed the carpenter's trade
for sis months, after which he again leased Hyson's
Mill, where he has since been doing a very exten-
sive business. In 1881 he was married to Effle
Hyson, daughter of Robert Hyson, of Hopewell
Township, and has one child, Walter O. H. Mr.
and Mrs. Keesey are members of the Presbyterian
Church, of Hopewell.

GEORGE W. KERLINGER, son of Henry
and Catherine (Ehrhart) Kerlinger, was born in
Loganville, Penn., July 6, 18.5.5, and is the sixth of a
family ot seven children. The father came from
Maryland and the mother was a native of Adams
County, Penn. Henry Kerlinger, subject's father,
purchased the present farm in 1864. He built a
tannery and established an extensive tanning busi-
ness, which he carried on until 1883, when he re-
tired from active business and removed to Stewarts-
town, where he is now residing. George W.
attended school in Loganville and in Hopewell
Township. He was married, in 1880, to Mary V.
Anstine, daughter of Henry Anstine, of Hopewell
Township. 'They have two children; Harry A. and
Nellie E. In 1884 Mr. Kerlinger was elected town-
ship clerk for a term of one year and was re-elected
for 188.5. He is a member of the Methodist Episco-
pal Church of Stewartstown.

ANDREW LEIB, son of John and Mary (Per-
key) Leib, of Hopewell Township, York Co., Penn.,
was born April 8, 1821. His grandfather, Christian
Leib, a native of York County, was in the Revolu-
tionary war, and came to Hopewell Township after
the war. He settled three miles from where his
grandson now lives, and took up and purchased
about 1,.500 acres of land. He left four children.
Andrew Leib, our subject, was born on the home-
stead, and is the second son in a family of twelve
children. He was married, in 18.53. to Rachel Wil-
son, daughter of William and Margaret Wilson, of
Hopewell Township, and settled near Stewartstown,
where he purchased a farm. Subsequently he re-
moved to his present farm of thirty-four acres.
They have three children; Mary, Margaret J. and
Sarah E. Mr. Leib was school director for ten
years. He and his wife are members of the Meth-
odist Episcopal Church. His father was in the war
of 1813.

JESSE P. LEIB, son of John Leib, of Hopewell
Township, was born October 30, 1836, on the farm
occupied by his father. He was married, in 1866, to
Mary Sellers, daughter of Levi Sellers, of Hope-
well Township. They have five children; MaryE..
Annie L., Everett S., Harry C. and Jessie. The
place where he resides now and where he was born,
was purchased by him in 1878, and contains seven-
ty-eight acres. Mr. and Mrs. Leib are members of
the Presbyterian Church of Stewartstown.

SAMUEL C. LIGGIT, son of William and Griz-
zella (Collins) Liggit, of Hopewell Township, York
County, was born May 17. 1837. He was brought
up on the homestead in Hopewell Township, where
he remained until his twentieth year, when he be-
gan learning the trade of miller with his brother.
In 1860 he was engaged in milling at Peach Bottom.
In September, 1864, he enlisted in the Ninth Penn-
sylvania Cavalry, and served until the end of the
war, being with Gen. Sherman on his "march to
the sea." "In 1865 he purcnased the mill property,
where he now resides, and is engaged in milling.



He also owns about forty acres of land, wliich he
I farms. In March, 1864, he was married to Mary
Gemmill, daughter of David Gemmill, of Hopewell
Township. They have seven children ; Martha G.,
I Florence G., Sarah C., William A., Laura J., Jo-
seph E. and Cornelius W. Mr. Leggit is a member
of the E. B. Morrison Post 387. G. A. R. He and
his wife belong to the Guinston United Presbyterian
Church of Chanceford.

MRS. HARRIETT R. LONG is the widow of
j William S. Long, son of John and Harriet (Steel)
! Long, who was born in Lancaster County, Penn.,
1 in 1818, and died in 1869. He was engaged very ex-
I tensively with his brother, Hugh H. Long, in mill-
ing. Mrs. Long was born in Hopewell Township.
York Co., Penn., April 2, 1829. Her father,
Archibald S. Jordan, was a paymaster in the war of
1813. He had ten children, of whom Mrs. Long
was the sixth child. She was married in 1856, but
has no children. Her husband was prominently
engaged in raising troops in the late war, and was
a highly esteemed citizen. After his death his wid-
ow returned to Stewartstown to the homestead, but
subsequently located in the village, where she now
resides.

THOMAS B. McDonald, a son of John and
Catharine (Winand) McDonald, was born in Fawn
Township, York Co., Penn., March 3, 1828. His
father came to York County, Penn., from Harford
County, Md., when young, and located in Hopewell
Township, where he followed the trade of a shoe-
maker. He afterward removed to Fawn Township,
where he remained a number of years, and then re-
'. turned to Hopewell Township, where he remained
I until his death in 1881. He had nine children, of
j whom Thomas B. is the fifth. Our subject was
I reared in this township, and in 1847 began learning
the blacksmith's trade in Chanceford Township,
and, with the exception of a few years, has since fol-
lowed that trade. In 1851 he was married to Eliza-
beth J., daughter of Alexander Thompson, of Lower



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 190 of 218)