John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 196 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 196 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Mill, near Mt. Wolf. November 30, 1880, he mar -
ried Ellen E., daughter of Levi and Mary Becker,
of Jackson Township, the result of the union be-
ing four children: L. Nevin, Vertie (deceased),
Daisey and Mabel Matilda. Mr. Barnhart has been
a member of the American Mechanics' Association
and is an adherent of the Lutheran Church.

HENRY S. BEAR, justice of the peace, was.
born in Conewago Township, York Co., Penn.„
May 6, 1835. His parents, Jacob S. and Elizabeth
(Stover) Bear, were natives of York County, and of
German descent. They reared three sons and three
daughters, of whom Henry S. is the eldest. Until
the age of seventeen, he lived on the farm and en-
joyed a common school education; after that he
taught school about eight years. Novemibcr II,
1851. he was married in Manchester Township, to -
Elizabeth Lichtenlierger, who died June 19, 1874.
They had twelve children, two of whom died be-
fore their mother: George E.,agednine, and Annie-
K., aged four and a half years. One, Clara Ann^
the wife of Eli Gross, died in 1877. The remain-^
ing nine are Stephen A., merchant: Charles H.,
merchant; Elizabeth, teacher in Illinois; Mary
Margaret, wife of W. H. Kauflfman; Sallie Frances,
who is still at home; Willie Lincoln, teacher:.
Fannie Leah, at home; Carrie Irene, at home and!
Jennie Laura. Our subject; was next marriedi
December 3, 1883. in Manchester Borough, to Ada-
line Schriner, widow of John Schriner, ajid daugh-
ter of Henry Frank, and a native of Lancaster
County, Penn. Henry S. and his wife belong to the
Lutheran Church. He came to Manchester Town-
ship in 1871, where he engaged in merchandising



133



MANCHESTER TOWNSHIP.



for five years. Since that, time he has been engaged
in conveyancing, surveying and insurance. He also
held the office of school director in Conewago
Township for about six years, and that of justice of
the peace about twelve years. In the spring of
1884 he was re-elected justice of the peace of Man-
chester. In politics, he is an active Republican.

STEPHEN A. BEAR, born in Conewago
Township. April 24, 1853, is the eldest son of
Henry S. and Elizabeth (Lichtenberger) Bear, of
York County. His parents removed to Manches-
ter Borough when he was seventeen years of age.
He was educated in the common schools, supple-
mented by a two-years' course of the State Normal
School at Millersville. He taught two terms in the
public schools at Conewago and Manchester Town-
ships. He worked on the farm when a boy, but
began clerking at Manchester when the family
moved there, and clerked altogether about six
years for different merchants. He was married at
Manchester Borough, February 39, 1880, to Amanda
J. Warner, daughter of D. Warner, Esq., con-
tractor and native of Manchester. They have had
three children: Carrie Irene, Elizabeth and Charles
Henry. July, 1883, in partnership with his brother,
Charles H., he purchased C. H. Bishop's mercan-
tile business in Manchester, and has since carried
on the leading business in general merchandise at
this place. Since April, 1883, he has been post-
master of Manchester. He is a Republican and
has served one term as borough treasurer. He is a |
stockholder in the Drovers and Stockholders Na-
tional Bank of York. He is a district president of
the P. O. S. of A., and has held all the offices in I
order. He devotes all his time to his store at Man- '
Chester, while his brother is employed as clerk in a
large dry goods house in York.

DAVID BENTZEL is the si-Nith of ten children of
David and Elizabeth (Meisenhelder) Bentzel, and
was born May 3, 1815, in Dover Township, on the
Benlzel homestead, now occupied by Samuel Bent-
zel. David received a limited education, and went
to his trade of miller September, 1834, at his present
location. In 1850 he went to Illinois, and worked
at Big Thunder Mill, in Boone County, seven
months. He then returned home to his present '
mill, where he has since remained. He married,
April 3, 1843, Sarah Bisenhart, daughter of John
and Catherine (Myers) Eisenhart, of Dover
Township. Six children were born to their union:
Henry D.. died in California; Edward D., David :
E., Leah (deceased), Nancy, wife of Henry W.
Jacobs; Catherine, wife of Peter Binder. Subject's
grandfather and grandmother came from Germany I
—landed at Baltimore, and came soon to Dover
Township. Subject's uncles and aunts are Henry
Bentzel, Elizabeth (deceased). Catherine, wife of j
John Ailman; Barbara, wife of John Kump; Mary,
deceased. Subject was director of the poor in '
1868-69-70. David E. Bentzel is engaged in the '
manufacture of cigar boxes, and has twelve hands
constantly employed in his factory, which is known
as the Eureka Cigar Box Factory. He ships to
Laicaster and Adams Counties, besides those he '
sells to York County. He commenced here in Oc- '
tober, 1884, with a capacity of 400, and has since in- i
creased to 1,500 per day. David E. was married,
August 13, 1877, to Louisa E. Stough, daughter of
Valentine and Blenora (Fissel) Stough. The fol-
lowing named children were born to their union: I
B. Frank, James Simpson, Africa, David V. (de-
ceased), Felix S. S. and Annie Amanda. Mr. Bent-
zel is an active business man, and belongs to the t
Lutheran Church of Dover (Strayer's). He was
enumerator of the census in Dover Townshin in
1880. ^

DR. CHARLES H. BISHOP (deceased), was a
son of Charles and Elizabeth Bishop, natives of the '



eastern shore of Maryland, where the Doctor was
born, April 19, 1813. He came to York Haven with
his parents when a small boy, there went to school,
and embarked in the mercantile business, when a
very young man, taking his father's store in Man-
chester Borough. After several years in the mer-
cantile business, he began to read medicine, and at-
tended lectures at Philadelphia, and graduated
there. He began practice at the village of Man-
chester, where he continued in his chosen profession
for thirty years. Dr. Bisliop died on May 38, 1875.
His widow still lives in Manchester. Her maiden
name was Anna Frey. daughter of Frederick and
Margaret (Kissinger) Frey, of Spring Garden Town-
ship. To this marriage one child was born — Charles
Halleck. Dr. Bishop was one of the leading and
most influential men of his section of the county.
He bad a large and lucrative practice, and was held
in high esteem as a conscientious physician.

JOHNG. DIEHLwasbornin Manchester Town-
ship, June 13, 1851. is the third son in a family of
three sons and one daughter. His parents, Charles
H. and Sarah (Gross) Diehl, natives of York Coun-
ty, were of German descent. He was reared on a
farm until he was fifteen years of age, and educat-
ed at New Berlin Academy. After teaching school a '
few months, he began cigar-making at the age of
nineteen, followed the business a short time, and
then learned painting, which he followed off and on
for eight years, and clerked a few months for G. H.
Wolf at Mount Wolf, where he has resided since
1870. He was married in Mount Wolf, December
26, 1873, to Elizabeth, daughter of Samuel Dietz,
and a native of York County. Two children— Min-
nie and George— resulted from this union. In
June, 1884. Mr. Diehl formed a partnership with
Israel Finfrock in the manufacture of fancy and
common cigars. He is a member of the United
Brethren Church; is a stockholder in Dover Fire
Insurance Company, and has served one term as as-
sessor of Manchester Township.

JACOB DOLL, born in Spring Garden Town
ship. May 34, 1851, is the eldest of three children of
Henry and Susanna (Dissenberger) Doll, natives of
York County, and an old Pennsylvania family. He
spent the first twenty-six years of his life on the
farm, and received a good education. He was
married at York, Penn.. May 11, 1875, to Anna C.
Coleman, a native of New Holland, Penn., and a
daughter of Matthias Coleman (deceased lumber
dealer), and has had four children, of which num-
ber two are dead: John Albert, died at the age of
three months, and George Henry, died at the age of
ten months. The living are Lillie Mary and Susie.
From 1877 to 1879, our subject was an invalid. In
1879 he began the manufacture of cigars at his
father's house, near Starview. from which he re-
moved in the spring of 1880, to New Holland,
where he has since carried on the same business,
employing eight hands, and has also a factory at
Starview, employing four hands. He makes about
700,000 cigars per year. He is something of a
German scholar, but devotes his whole time to the
manufacture of cigars.

JOHN DRAYER, retired merchant, is a son of
Jacob and Catherine (Cockley) Drayer, who were
parents of seven children, four now living: Su-
sanna, Henry, John and Mary; three deceased:
Jesse, Eliza and Elizabeth. He was reared on the
farm, and when old enough began learning the
tailor's trade in Frystown. In 1844 he engaged in
general merchandising, in connection with tailoring
in Manchester. He was appointed postmaster by
President James K. Polk, and afterward received
the appointment for the same office from James
Buchanan and Andrew Johnson. December 34
1848, he married Sarah Frey, daughter of Samuel
and Annie (Kissinger) Frey, of :Spring Garden



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



133



Township. To tliis union were born nine children;
Annie, David C, Charles P., Samuel M., Sallie A.,
"Willie P., Flora J. and Ella M. Mr. Drayer is a
member of the I. O. O. P., and attends the Lu-
theran Church. The family name was originally
spelled Dreher.

MARTIN LUTHER DUHLING, justice of the
peace, was born in Manchester Township, April 9,
1820. His father was Martin Duhling, a native of
England, and his mother, Barbara Quickel, born in
York County. Until his fifteenth year, our subject
remained on the farm, and then learned the pottery
trade, which he followed twenty years. He was
educated at the public schools, and at seventeen
years began teaching, and taught tliirty-two win-
ters in Yox-k County. At twenty-one years of age
he married Elizabeth A. Bentz, daugl"iter of John
Bentz, of Manchester. They had seven children,
four of whom are now living: William H., of
York, now of Edgar, Clay Co., Neb.; Sarah Cather-
ine, wife of George Mathias, of New Cumberland;
Emma S., wife of Stephen Copenhefer, miller, at
Hellam, and Lillian Jane, at home. The three who
died were John Clay, thirteen years; Annie, two
years; Maria, wife of H. M. Everhart, twenty-six
years. Mr. Duhling formerly belonged to the
Lutheran Church, but left it in f868 to connect him-
self with the United Brethren Church, in which he
is assistant class leader. Since 1870 be lias been
secretary of the Quarterly Conference. In 1844 he
was captain of the militia of Hellam District. He
was a member of the Manchester Borough Council
in 1880, and in 1884 again elected for three years, and
has been secretary of the council for ten years.
Being elected justice of the peace of Manchester
Township in 1863, he has held that office nearly
twenty-two years Since 1857 he has also been en-
gaged in butchering, and with the exception of ten
years has followed It ever since. He attends also to
surveying and conveyancing. August 23, 1864, he
enlisted in Company D. Two Hundredth Regiment
Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served until the end
of the war. When the regiment was properly or-
ganized, he was elected first lieutenant, while his
son was elected captain. His company served in
the Army of the Potomac, and participated in the
battles in front of Petersburg. At Fort Steadman
he was wounded by a piece of shell striking him in
the left leg; he lay in the hospital about eight days,
but could not do any duty for fifteen days. The
company was raised by him and his son, and it was
his express wish that his son should be its captain.
It left Harrisburg with 104 men, and returned with
only seventy. In politics Mr. Duhling is a Repub-
lican. In 1870 he took the census for Manchester
Township and Borough, and from 1860 to 1866 he
was postmaster at Manchester. His children, with
the exception of the youngest, have all been teach-
ers in the public schools.

W. H. EISENHART, son of Adam and Leah
(Forry) Eisenhart, was born in Manchester Town-
ship. York Co., Penn., April 6, 1840. His ancestors,
the Eisenharts, were among the earliest settlers in
this county. He was married. November, 1860, to
Helena Schriver, daughter of Daniel and Catherine
(Schriver) Schriver, of this township. By this
union they have been ble.ssed with two children:
Flora K. and Emma J. Mr. Eisenhart is a member
of the Lutheran Church.

DR. HERMAN ANDREW EISENHART, of
Manchester Township, was born January 25, 1843.
and is a son of Dr. Adam and Leah (Forry) Eisen-
hart. natives of the same township, who had a fam-
ily of eleven sons and three daughters, of whom our
subject is the second son and fourth child. His
grandfather, Dr. George Eisenhart, emigrated from
Germany in the early history of our county, and
ocated in the present limits of West Manchester.



From him descended the numerous families of
Eisenharts, most of whom reside in York County.
The subject of this sketch was brought up on his
father's farm, at the same time attended the public
schools. At the age of nineteen he began the study
of medicine in the office of his father, and at the
age of twenty-nine, upon the death of his father,
succeeded to the practice, which he still retains.
August 19, 1864, he enlisted at York, in Company
H, Two Hundredth Regiment Pennsylvania Volun-
teers, and was honorably discharged with his regi-
ment, May 30, 1865, at Alexandria, Va. He partici-
pated in the battle in front of Petersburg and the first
and second attack on Fort Steadman. After the
war he returned home and resumed his medical
practice at his present home,* three and a half miles
north of York. He married Rebecca Hamme, a
native of York County, October 14, 1866. They
have eight children: Lillie Cora, William McCall,
Harvey G., Adam, Kurvin C, Annie Kate, Herman
A. and Howard Filmore. Dr. Eisenhart is a mem-
ber of the Lutheran Church, is a Republican, in
politics, and served one term as school director. , In
addition to his medical practice the Doctor pursues
farming, a part of his lime, as a healthy recreation.
His father died in 1872, aged sixty-two years, and
his mother in 1882 at the same age.

SOLOMON EISENHUR was born in Conewago
Township, August la, 1834. His parents were
George and Magdalena (Wire) Eisenhui', of Penn-
sylvania, but of German descent, who reared a
family of nine sons and eight daughters, of whom
Solomon was the thirteenth child. He remained
on the farm up to his manhood, and has followed
farming ever since. His education he received at
public schools. At the age of twenty-three he was
married, in Minnesota, to Sarah Wilhelm, of Man-
chester Township, and a daughter of John Wilhelm.
She bore him eleven children, one died in infancy:
Frances, wife of Jacob Lauiz; Ida Belle, wife of
Jacob Bair; James, a farmer; Delia, Laura, Wes-
ley, Charles, Minnie, Eli and William H. Mr. Eisen-
hur is one of the deacons of the United Brethren
Church, and also vice-president of the Sabbath-
school. He is also a member of the Easton Build-
ing Association at York. In politics he is a Re-
publican. While in Shakopee, Minn., he enlisted,
in 1863, in Company A, Fourth Minnesota Volun-
teer Infantry, and served one year's term of enlist-
ment. With his command he was in the campaign
along the Mississippi Rivei', in the battle of luka.
Miss., and at Corinth. In 1863 he returned to
Pennsylvania, and lived three years at AVilliams-
port, where he was engaged in the planing-mill.
From there he moved to Manchester Township, and
now lives on his fine farm of eighty-five acres.

JOHN EMIG, Jk , was born April 4, 1813. in
Manchester Township, and died December 24, 1883.
His parents were John and Anna Mary (Smyser)
Emig, natives of West Manchester Township, and
of German ancestry. They had four sons and one
daughter, of whom John, Jr., was the third son. H(
grew up on the farm of his father, which had come
into the hands of his grandfather in 1803, and into
his father's hands in 1806, and became his property
in 1840, but in 1876 passed into the hands of William
H. Emig, eldest son of John, Jr. The subject of
this sketch was educated at the subscription schools
of his neighborhood. He was married, Octoljer 3.
1838, near Prospect, in Lower Windsor, to Ellen S.
Knisely, daughter of John Kuisely, of German
descent. They had eleven-children, one of whom,
Amanda, died, aged about three j^ears. The others
are Louisa; William, a farmer; Ellen, wife of M.
W, Bahn, at New Freedom; Mary Jane, a teacher
in select schools; J. Albert, Emma, Alice, Flora A.,
Belle L. and Edward K., farmer and manufacturer.
They belong to the Reformed Church. In 1840 he



184



MANCHESTER TOAVNSHIP.



began the lime burning business, and was tlie first
to engage in that business in liis vicinity. In 1849
tlie Nortliern Central Railroad was run through his
farm, and at once established a station there, which
is known as Emigsville. The farm contained about
300 acres, and came into his hands from his father
by his paying .|500 in installments. He built about
■eleven houses in Manchester Township, had owned
seven farms, and at his death owned three tine
farms. The largest portion of his property was ac-
quired by his own industry. In 1850 he engaged in
a building scheme at Baltimore, and erected about
ten tine dwelling houses and two warehouses, and
at liis death owned six of these dwellings. He was
one of tlje few men in his neighborhood favoring
public schools. So bitter was the opposition that
he, with a few others, was compelled to guard the
schoolhouse of his neighborhood from destruction.
He was a school director for six years, and always
toolv an active part in education. He was a leading
inan in tlie erection of the first chapel, and gave the
ground upon which it was built. He laid out the
town of New Freedom in 1868, and gave the ground
on which two churches were erected (Methodist
Episcopal and Reformed). The latter was first
.given to the Baptists, who sold It to the Reformers.
He began the mercantile business about the time
the railroad passed tlirough, and. with the excep-
tion of a few years, was interested in the house as
a partner or sole owner up to 1874, when his son,
John Albert, became owner. He was agent for the
railroad company up to one year before his death,
also postmaster from the establishment of the office
until 1880. J. Albert Emig, born August 9, 1849,
was reared on the farm at Emigsville. He received
his education in tlie public schools, and at York
County Academy, and at Millersville Normal School.
He entered his father's store at Emigsville, and as-
sisted as clerk until 1874, when he bought the store.
He was married in Windsor Township, March 19,
1874, to Ella S. Detwiller, daughter of John Det-
willer They had two children: Carrie D. and John
W. He is head of the firm of Emig & Gable, Man-
chester, and E. K. Emig & Co., manufacturers of
wagons and agriculiural implements, at Emigsville,
and flour and feed store and wagon depot at York.
He owns 165 acres of land, and superintends it him-
self. In 1880 he was appointed railroad agent at
Emigsville, as also Adams Express agent and post-
master.

HENRY M. EVERHART. undertaker and
■cabinet-maker, is a son of Daniel and Sallie (Mohr)
Everhart, of York, Penn., who were parents of ten
children: William (deceased), Elizabeth, Mary,
Henry M., Daniel, John, Leah, Sarah, William and
Ellen. After learning his trade he began business
for himself in 1859, and continued until the war
broke out, when he enlisted in Company A, Eighty-
seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, and took part
with his regiment in the battles of Winchester,
Monocacy, Petersburg and second Bull's Run, be-
sides a number of skirmishes. Mr. Everhart's first
marriage was to Maria Duhling, daughter of M. L.
and Eliza (Pentz) Duhling, of this township, and to
this union were born three children: Annie K.,
Henry M. (deceased) and Ellen. Mrs. Everhart
died and Mr. Everhart married Lizzie Stable,
daughter of Col. J. A. Stable, of this township.
This union has been blessed with one child — Flossie
Mary. Mr. Everhart is a first-class mechanic and
does an extensive trade in his line. He is a member
of the United Brethren Church of Manchester.

DAVID G. FOOSE, son of Isaiah and Margaret
(Fagan) Poose, was born in Perry County, Penn.,
February 4,1845, and after attending several terms at
public school in his native township, began to learn
the trade of blacksmith (with his father), and after
working ten years, began on his own account.



in 1873, at his present st- n 1 on Harrisburg Pike,
near York. Our subject \\ .n married, September
16, 1869, to Margaret A. Harley, daughter of Ru-
dolf and Rebecca (Cramer) Harley, of Chambers-
burg, Franklin County. Two children were born to
them — Mary Carrie and Martha Rebecca. Our sub-
ject's paternal ancestors came from German}' and
his maternal ancestors from England. Isaiah Foose,
the father of our subject, was a gallant soldier in
the late war; he enlisted in the Two Hundred and
Eighth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, Gen.
Hartranfl's Division, and after participating in all
the battles in which his regiment was engaged, and
being present at the surrender of Gen. Lee, April 9,
1865, he was honorably discharged from the service.
He married Margaret Fagan, and their marriage
was blessed with seven children: Rachael J. (de-
ceased), David G., Sarah Ann, Enoch T., Martin
M., James M. and John Wesley. Isaiah Foose, our
subject's father, died January 6, 1879, from heart
disease, aged fifty-six years five months and one
day. Margaret (Fagan) Foose, his wife, died April
9, 1870, aged about fifty years.

HENRY S. FORRY, born in Spring Garden
Township, January 16, 1853, is the eldest son and
second child of Rudolph j and Angeline (Strickler)
Porry, of Hellam and Spring! Garden Townships,
and of German descent. He grew to manhood on
the farm and received a good common school edu-
cation. He was married in York, October 18, 1877,
to Amelia E. Flory, daughter of John Flory, of
Spring Garden Township, farmer, and of^ German
descent, and has had two children: Daisy E. and
Howard Ralph. In the spring following his mar-
riage he removed to the farm of 180 acres in Man-
chester Township, since successfully managed by
him. He devotes his entire attention to farming
and slock raising.

HENRY FREE was born in Manchester Town-
ship, August 25, 1831. His parents were Adam and
Mary (Hake) Free, natives, respectively, of Mary-
land and Pennsylvania, and of Scotch and German
descent. They reared six sons and five daughters.
Henry is the fourth son and child. He was brought
up on a farm and educated in the common schools.
At the age of twenty- four or twenly-five he began
life for himself. He traded for some time in stock,
but in 1856 he commenced distilling at Golds-
borough, Penn., and in partnership with his brother,
Augustus, has followed it since. They began with
a capacity of 100 bushels per day, but at the be-
ginning of taxation reduced the capacity. He was
married in Manchester Township, March 1, 1857, to
Leah Rutter, daughter of John Rutter (deceased).
She died in November, 1881, leaving four children:
George B. M., M. D., at Philadelphia; Kate, at
home; Samuel, a student at York Collegiate Insti-
tute, and Harry, also a student at York. Mr. Free
belongs, as did also his wife, to the Lutheran
Church; in politics he is a Republican, and has
been elected township auditor several times, and is
the present incumbent. He was one of tlie organ-
izers of the State Capital Oil Company, and for
many years one of its directors. He left Man-
chester Township for Newberry Township in 1858,
and in 1869 he came to where he has since lived
upon a small farm one mile north of York. He is
partner in three fine farms near Goldsborough, ag-
gregating about 400 acres. Mr. Free made all his
property by his own industry. His daughter is
keeping house for him. His father, who died in
1854, came to Pennsylvania in 1818, and worked
some as a carpenter, then commenced farming and
distilling near Emigsville; here he died at the age of
fifty-eight years, possessed of property worth up-
ward of $75,000, and yet, at the age of thirty, he
had nothing and had done nothing. He was once
elected county commissioner.



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES



SAMUEL GLATFELTER was born near Han-
over, York County, Penn., August 4, 1819. His
parents were John aud Margaret E. (Keyser) Glat-



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 196 of 218)