John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 199 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 199 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


mas, 1864, back to Andersonville again. April 8,
1865, he left Andersonville for Albany again,
marched seventy-two miles to Thomasville, then to
Baldwin, where he was finally released, and at the
end of two weeks started for home, where he
arrived June 15, 1865, after an absence of nearly
four years. In 1866 he started for Ohio, but
stopped a few months at Goshen, Ind., where
he remained peddling pumps until the following
spring, when he went to Ohio, where he farmed a
few months, and then returned home. He was
married in December, 1873, at York, to Rebecca
Siffert. They have three children: Laura Jane,
Edward and an infant. They settled at Round
Town, about three and one-half miles northwest of
York, in 1880. Mr. Miller is a Republican, was con-
stable in 1875 and 1876, and was also tax collector
for township and school at the same time.

SAMUEL MYERS, son of Samuel and Eliza-
beth (Shelley) Myers, was the fourth of eight chil-
dren, born on the 35th of December, 1803, at the old
Myers' homestead, near where he now lives. He
was reared on his father's farm and always followed
farming. In 1833 Mr. Myers was married to Mary
Ann Blausser, daughter of Matthias and Elizabeth
(Bahn) Blausser, of Spring Garden Township.
'Ten children were born of this marriage: Samuel,
Elizabeth (wife of Christian Brubaker), Mary (wife
of Tobias Engle), Henry (deceased), Zacharias,
Susan (deceased, wife of Jeremiah Shelley), Cassia
(deceased), Ellen (wife of Amos Hively), Charles,
and Eli (deceased). Mr. Myers is one of the oldest
citizens of Manchester Township. He is held in
high esteem by his neighbors; was director of the
poor for York County in 1830-31-33.

EDMUND B. MYERS was born in this town-
ship, October 3, 1829. His parents, Benjamin and
Louisa (Smyser) Myers, (the latter, a daughter of
Jacob and Elizabeth Smyser, of West Manchester
Township), were married February 38, 1838, and
had a family of seven children: Edmund B., Alex-
ander A. (deceased), Andrew J., Albert S. (de-
ceased), Eli S. (deceased), Ellen E. and Louisa S.
(deceased). His mother's ancestors, the Smysers,
were among the very first settlers in West Man-
chester Township. Margaret Smyser (wife of
Christian Eyster), was probably the first white
woman that settled in West Manchester Town-
ship. She and her husband located in the vicinity
of Wolf's Church, where they took up 600 acres of
land, October 30, 1736, as shown by the records in
the surveyor-general's office, atHarrisburgh, Penn.,
The treaty of session was made October 11, 1736.
Edmund B. Myers has traveled extensively; has
made an extended trip through Europe, and two
trips to California. He has recently become
widely known throughout the entire country in
connection with the wonderful cures effected by
him, by what is known as electro-vital nervaura, or
laying on of hands (without medicine). Many'in-



143



MANCHESTER TOWNSHIP.



valids who failed to get relief from thebest physi-
cians of New York, Philadelphia and other cities,
came to him, and in manj- instances have gone away
in perfect health.

ANDREW J. MYERS was born February 6,
1833, in Manchester Township, near Emigsville.
upon the same place now occupied by him, and
which was occupied by his father and grandfather.
His parents were Benjamin and Louisa (Sm}'ser)
Myers, of York County, and of German descent.
They reared four sons and one daughter, and bur-
ied two children. Andrew J. is the third son. He
grew up on his father's farm, but after he became
twenty'three years of age learned the miller's
trade, which he followed for six years. He attend-
ed the common schools, and had one term at the
York Academy. After giving up milling, he re-




sumed farming. Januar}- '2i, 1860. he was married,
at Jackson Township, to Mary Ann. daughter of
Daniel Smyser. They had six children, of whom
one, Lillie, died in her second year. The living
are Allen. Jane (wife of Caleb Wogan), Lucy. Kur-
vin and Minnie. They are Lutherans. Mr. Myers
has repeatedly held positions of trust, such as in-
spector, school director, and appraiser of merchan-
dise. He is an active Democrat, and one of the
organizers of the Drovers & Mechanics National
Bank, and is yet a prominent stockholder. He also
served five years as director and treasurer of
the Paradise Mutual Fire Insurance Company. He
is one of the firm of Emig, Ruby & Co., manufact-
urers of cigars and dealers in leaf tohaccu at Emigs-
ville, employing about twenty-five Ijuiids. He
owns and works a farm of l.")0 acres, and also owns



eight dwelling houses at Emigsville. His father
died in 1880, aged seventy-one years.

JOHN B. PFALTZGRAFF is the second child
of George and Eleanora(Braumer) Pfaltzgraff, and
was born in Couewago Township, October 14, 1835.
He was reared on the home farm, was educated at
the public schools, and in 18.56 married Susan,
daughter of Henry Keeney. of Shrewsbury Town-
ship. Nine children have been born to this union,
viz.: Elizabeth, Henry (deceased), John, Ellen,
Leah, George, Annie, Joseph (deceased) and Susan
(deceased). In 1865 Mr. Pfaltzgraff was elected coun-
ty auditor, and served one full term, giving entire
satisfaction to the people, who, in 1875, called him
to tlie responsible ofHce of county commissioner,
which he filled for one term equally to the satisfac-
tion of both parties. The parents of Mr. Pfaltzgraff
were members of the German Bap-
tist Church, while Mr. Pfaltzgraff is
a member of the I. O. of R. M. and
of the K. of P.

HENRY B. PFALTZGRAFF
was born in Manchester Township
May 10. 18.54. His parents were
George B. and Eleanora (Braumer)
Pfaltzgraff, of Germany, who came
to America soon after being married.
They lived in Baltimore one year,
and then removed to Conewago
Township, where they remained
only a few years, and then removed
to i'ork Borough, where they lived
several years, and then removed to
Manchester Township, about three
miles West of York, where the father
died in 1873. They had a family of
six sons and five daughters, Henry
B. was next to the youngest. As he
grew old enough he began the pot-
tery trade with his father, but in
1869 lie commenced to manufacture
pottery on his own account. For six
years he manufactured red ware,
and then removed his works to
where they are now located, near
the old homestead of his father. He
employs four hands in manufactur-
ing stone ware, to the amount of
from 50.000 to 100,000 gallons annu-
ally. He receives the clay for his
wares from New .lersey, and makes
none but the best of goods. He also
runs a small farm of forty acres. In
1878 he was married, at York, to
Elizabeth Bentzel, who died Sep-
tember 25, 1881, leaving two chil-
dren; Lucy and Elizabeth. October
2, 1882, he married, at Mount Wolf,
Arabella Kohr, from which union
two children issued: Henry and
Isaac. Mr. Pfaltzgraff belongs to the Dunkard
Church, is a Democrat in politics, and was a dele-
gate to the county convention in 1883.

REV. WILLIAM S. PORR was born in Potts-
ville, Penn., Feliruary 19, 1880. His parents were
Lewis and Lydia (Zeigler) Porr, who had four sons
and four daughters, of whom subject was the eldest
son. His father was a tailor, and William S.
worked some at the same trade. When quite a small
boy his father moved to Bernville, Berks Co., Penn.
In his boyhood he spent much of his time with his
grandfather at Reading, where he attended the
common schools, and at the age of sixteen went to
Stouchesburg Academy, where he remained two
years, and thence went to Gettysburgh College,
where he spent two years. On account of ill health
he left, however, and prosecuted the study of the-



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



143



ology privately, at Pottsville, uudei- Rev. D. Stack,
D. D. Iq 1854 be was admitted to the synod and
licensed to preach. His first charge was Ashland,
Penn., where lie remained three years, then Har-
risburgli three years; Palmyra, four years; Centre
Hall, Centre County, nine years; Lancaster, six
years; Steelton, two years; in 1882 he came to Man-
chester, Penn.; has charge of three churches, and
preaches in English and German. His father was
German, but his mother was born in Pennsylvania.
He was married, July 21, 18.55, at Shaefferstown,
Penn., to Henrietta, daughter of Tobias Fernsler,
of German descent. They had six children, three
of whom are now living; Theodore N., William H.
and John Luther. Rev. Porr is an indefatigable
worker in the church, and has organized a number
of congregations, built and remodeled and beauti-
fied a number of churches, and was instrumental
in bringing a number of able men into the Gospel
ministry, among whom are Revs. J. Harpster, now
in Ohio; M. Fernsler and S. G. Shanon.

DAVID S QUICKEL was born in Manchester
Township April 6, 1837. His parents were Henry
and Magdalene (Strickler) Quickel, of York County,
and of Dutch descent. The Quickelfamily in York
County, descend from Michael Quickel, the founder
of Quickel's Church, in Conewago Township, about
the middle of the eighteenth century. David S.
had two brothers and three sisters, of whom he is
the eldest. He grew up on a farm and enjoyed the
advantages of the common schools. While yet
young he commenced to read medicine, but aban-
doned it and took up dentistry, which he followed
up to 1869. He was married at Manchester, in
1860, to Leah Ginter, and in 1864 moved to Ohio,
where he remained only one year, and then returned
to Manchester, where he engaged at once in den-
tistry. He was appointed postmaster in 1869, and
has held the office fourteen years. In 1872 he en-
gaged in mercantile business, which he has followed
since, gradually retiring from business, however,
since 1880. In 1873 he took up dentistry again,
which he intends to follow in the future. He had
four children, of whom three are living; Annie
M., Daniel S., and Harry David. 13eing a Repub-
lican he has held the position of township clerk for
twenty years. He was also one of the incorpora-
tors of Manchester Borough. In 1869 his little boy
was burned to deatli. and in his efforts to save
him, the father was severely burned, disabling him
for four years.

HENRY H. QUICKEL was born in Manchester
Township May 2, 1846. His parents were Henry
and Magdalene Quickel. Henry H. was the second
son and the fourth of the children. He was reared
on the farm and educated at the public schools. He
lived with his parents until he was twenty-eight
years of age. On the 1st of November, 1874, he
was married in Hellam Township to Annie S.
Stoner, and has three children; Edgar Stoner.Elmer
David, and Cora Ellen. From the spring of
1881 to 1883 he was engaged in milling; also in deal-
ing in grain, coal, lime, phosphates, etc., at Hellam
Station, in partnership with L. S. Stoner. In the
spring of 1883, he removed to his farm, about one
and three-quarter miles north of York, containing
about fifty-four acres. He is an active Republican.

WILLIAM REESER was born in Manchester
Township September 2, 1814. His parents were
William and Elizabeth (Shelley) Reeser, of Penn-
sylvania, and of German descent. They reared a
family of sis sons and one daughter, of whom
William Jr. was the third child,and second son. He
grew to manhood on the farm, and engaged in dis-
tilling. In Newberry Township he learned the
milling trade, and worked at it about six years. In
1840 he was married, in Manchester Township, to
Elizabeth Good, daughter of Henry Good, a Ger-



man. They bad eleven children, one, Mary, the
wife of Tobias Quickel, died at the age of twenty-
eight years; Louisa, Mary, Henry, John, Eli,
Amanda, William, Benjamin, Amos, Augustus and
Edward. Mr. Reeser' was county commissioner
from 1864 to 1867; is a very active Democrat, a very
industrious man, and has besides his farm of 134
acres, considerable property.

HENRY REESER, a retired farmer, is the son
of William and Elizabeth (Shelley) Reeser, was
born in this township in February, 1839, and is the
sixth of the following family: John, Mary, Will-
iam, Elizabeth (deceased), Alexander, Henry and
George. Our subject's first marriage was to Eliza
Burger, daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth (Forten-
baugh) Burger, and to this union were born six
children; William (deceased), Joseph, Susan, John
(deceased),David and Henry. His second marriage
was to Mary, daughter of Daniel and Mary (Nicho-
las) Hoppes, and this union has been blessed with
three children; Hiram, Morris and Bertha. The
second Mrs. Reeser was the widow of Jacob Test, to
whom she bad born three children; Ida J., William
H. and Mary A. Mr. Reeser, through his own in-
dustry, has become the owner of two superior farms
in his native township, and for some years has led a
retired life in the borough of Manchester.

ZEBULON P. RODES. eldest child of Daniel
and Susanna (Palmer) Rodes, was born February
28, 1834, and still resides in the house built by his
grandfather, Christian Rodes, son of John Rodes,
the pioneer of Manchester Township. In March,

1856, our subject married Sarah Zorger, daughter of
Samuel Zorger, of Newberry Township, and by this
marriage have been born to him five children: John
M., Samuel (deceased). Christian, Rufus R. and
Jesse J. Mr. Rodes is a warm friend of educational
projects, and is a worshiper at the United Brethren
Church.

CHARLES J. ROLAND, artist, is the son of
Daniel and Ellen (Busey) Roland, of Manchester
Township, and was born in York, February 16,

1857. He divided his earlier years between attend-
ing the public schools, working on the farm, and
assisting his father in quarrying stone, and finished
his literary education at the Emigsville Academy.
He then turned his attention to house painting,
which occupation he followed for seven years, al-
though his inclinations led him toward art. for
which he seemed especially gifted. He went under
instruction to a Mr. H. Barrett, of York, and then
took two courses at the Academy of the Fine Arts,
Philadelphia, painting in oil and modeling in clay
from life. He is one of the best crayon artists in
the interior of the State, and is constantly and
lucratively employed at his chosen profession. He
has been a member of the P. O. and S. of A. and of
the E. M. R. A., of Emigsville, his present post-
office address.

GEORGE RUTTER, son of John and Elizab'eth
(Brillinger) Rutter, was born in Manchester Town-
ship, June 16, 1827. His boyhood days were spent
on the farm and in attending the subscription
schools. At the age of twenty-four years he began
farming his father's farm, containing 167 acres,
which he now owns. It is in a high state of culti-
vation, and produces all the cereals in abundant
crops. Mr. Rutter devotes a great deal of attention
to stock raising and fattening cattle for the markets.
During Gen. Early's occupancy of York a squad of
Confederates took his horses during harvest time;
he was thus compelled to hitch a pair of green
mules together with a horse to the reaper; they be-
came unmanageable, and ran away; the reaper
passed over Mr. Rutter and crippled him for life.
Mr. Rutter was married in York, November 30,
1851, to Anna Mary, daughter of Charles Diehl.
There were born to them eight children, three of



144



MANCHESTER TOWNSHIP.



whom are deceased. The liviDg are George D.,
Jacob Charles. Edwin S., Albert C, Leah E., the
only daughter living, is married to Philip Burg, of
Hellam Township. Mr. Butter and his family are
members of the Lutheran Church. His father died
March 13, 1868, aged seventy-two years four months
and twenty-six days, and his mother died on the
same day of the same month, 18T9, aged seventy-
nine years and eleven months.

SAMUEL R UTTER, the eighth child of John and
Elizabeth (Brillinger)Rutter. was born June 15, 1835,
and was reared on the farm which he still occupies.
The homestead comprising 233 acres, is the joint
property of our subject and his brother, is highly
cultivated and is improved with a fine residence,
barns and all the modern improvements. Mr. Butter
was one of the first to introduce blooded stock into
the county and is a pioneer in the breeding of short-
horn cattle. November 17, 1867, he married Emma
J. daughter of Herman and Elizabeth (Free) Hoke,
and has had born to him the following children:
John H., Lizzie Ellen, James E. (deceased). Thomas
B. (deceased, April 8, 1885) and Jennie Mav.

JOHN S. SCHISLER, son of John and Liddie
(Shenberger) Schisler, was born December 20. 1828,
in Windsor Township, and was reared to farming.
The mother of our subject was tlie daughter of
George and Mary (Zeig'ler) Shenberger, of Lower
Windsor Township. In 1836 Mr. Schisler married
Harriet, daughter of Daniel Brunaw of Conewago
Township. Mr. Schisler has had born to him by
this marriage four children, viz.: Henry (deceased),
an infant (deceased), John and Sarah Ann. The
Schisler schoolhouse, in Springfield Township,
stands on the farm once owned by our subject's
grandfather. ]\Ir. Schisler is a consistent member
of the Brethren Church. Grandfather Schisler
emigrated from Europe and was well known as a
teamster from York Haven to Baltimore; probably
in the hottest contest of the Revolution, while on
his way to Baltimore with a load of produce he was
pressed to do service for the army. Subject's father.
John Schisler, was born in 180ti, and was married
four times; first to Lydia Shenberger. of Lower
Windsor; second to Magdelena Myers, of Spring-
field Township; third to Ester Sipe, of Newberry
Township; fourth to Teeny Hildebrand, of Spring-
field Township; he had fourteen children born lo
him by the four marriages.

JOHN SHBPP, son of John and Elizabeth
(Slagle) Shepp, of German descent, was born in
West Manchester Township. Christmas day, 1834,
and is the eighth child of a family of sixteen chil-
dren — eight sons and eight daughters— six of whom
are yet living. He remained at home until eighteen
years of age, when he began to learn the trade of a
miller with G. W. Lightner, at Brillinger's Mill,
continuing three years as an apprentice" and after-
ward worked there for a period of nine years as
chief miller. For a number of years he worked in
the Codorus Mills and in 1871 took charge of Myers'
Mill on the Codorus Creek for P. A. & S. Small, and
has shown great skill and ability in managing its in-
terests ever since. He was married at the age of
twenty-one. in Manchester Township, to Leah,
daughter of Anthony Dessenberg. Their children
are as follows: Henry C, cigar-maker; Susanna,
wife of Franklin Dillinger, a- miller; Mary Ellen,
wife of Henry Strickler; Elizabeth Jane; John
Wesley, a miller; Henry C, a teacher in the public
schools. Mr. Shepp and family are members of
the United Brethren Church, of which he has been a
class leader for twenty years, and served one term as
a school director of his township. He was one of
the organizers and is -a director of the Pleasure ville
Building and Loan Association and owns a fine
property in that village. John Shepp, father of
our subject, was born in West' Manchester Town-



ship in 1798; was a farmer, and died in 1856: sub-
ject's mother was born in 1801 and died in 1872.

DANIEL SMYSER (deceased) was born in
Manchester Township, about 1807, and was mar-
ried, November 25, 1841, to Sarah Ann Herman,
daughter of Jacob and Sarah Herman, of West Man-
chester Township. Five children were born to this
marriage: Amanda M., Albert, Emma J., Sarah E.
and Jacob H. Mrs. Smyser was the second child of
Jacob and Sarah Herman. Her elder brother.
Adam, and a younger sister, Catherine, compose
the family (see sketch of the Smyser family, for
Daniel Smyser's ancestral history).

EDWARD SMYSER was born in December,
1837, in Mancliester Township. His parents were
George and Susanna (Brillinger) Smyser (of Ger-
man descent), who had three sons and six daughters,
of whom Edward is the eldest. He was brought up
on a farm and educated at the public schools. At
the age of twenty he began farming for himself;
from 1860 to 1878 he was also engaged in the lime
business, and made more lime in that time than
any other one man. In 1878 he engaged in the
lumber business in York and Lancaster Counties,
and in 1882, also in Baltimore County, Md.. in
partnership with M. Schall. Their business has
become very extensive. In 1883 they made 1,500.-
000 feet of lumber. At present he is also trading
extensively in mules, liorses and cattle; he farms
also in Manchester Township. He removed to his
present place of residence, about one mile north of
York, in 1882. He was also an organizer of the
Drovers and Mechanics Bank at York, and was for
many years a director. Now he is a director in the
Dover and Manchester Townships Mutual Fire In-
surance Company.

MICHAEL SMYSER was born in Spring Gar-
den Townsliip, July 8, 1846. His parents were
Henry and Mary (Emig) Smyser, of York County
and of Gei-man descent. They had three sons and
one daughter, of whom Michael is the eldest. One
of the sons, Alexander, resides in Kansas; Horace
in Spring Garden Township, and the daughter,
who is married to Abraham Flory, in Lancaster
County. Michael is a descendant of the elder
Mathias Smyser, who came from Germany in 1738,
and settled in Kreulz Creek Valley.in York County,
where he carried on weaving in a small way. He
look a large tract of land, much of which he after-
ward gave away in order to induce settlers to
lof-ate. He afterward removed to a place three
miles west of York, where, in 1778, he died. He had
three sons : Michael (probably grandfather of the
subject of this sketch),Jacob and Mathias. Michael
wa- captain of a company in Col. M. Swope's regi-
ment, in the Revolutionary war, and was cap-
tured at Fort Washington, November 16,1776. He
was several times a member of the Pennsylvania
legislature, and from 1794 to 1798, a member -f the
State senate. The subject of this sketch was
brought up on this farm in Spring Garden Town-
ship, and received his education in public schools
and in the York Academy. He began for, himself
at the age of twenty-seven years, when he was
married, at York, to Sarah Kauffraan, daughter of
Joseph Kauffman (deceased farmer of Spring Gar-
den Townshipi. 'They had two children: Henry
K. and Susan M. In 1874 he removed to his pres-
ent residence, known as the "Old John Brillinger
Farm," of about 300 acres, to the cultivation of
which and stock raising he devotes his entire atten-
tion. He belongs to the Lutheran Church, is a
man that attends entirely to his own business,
and is considered one of the most enterprising and
successful farmers in York County.

JOHN C. SUNDAY was born in Dover Town-
ship, November 21, 1855. His parents were Jacob
and Louvina(Cochenauer) Sunday, who were na-



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



145



tives of Dover and of German descent. They had
eight children, of whom two sons and two daugh-
ters are living, John C., being the eldest. Until his
seventeenth year he lived on the farm and en-
joyed a common school education, and began learn-
ing the trade of carriage-making and smithing
with Mr. Gross, in Dover Borough. He learned the
trade and worked at it, together with dealing in
merchandise, for about five years. In the fall of
1877 he came to Manchester, and began manufactur-
ing carriages, wagons, phaetons and buggies, and is
doing good and solid work. He employs six first
class mechanics. In February, 1877, he married in
Berlin, Adams County, Alice E. Hantz, daughter
of Joseph Hantz, and a native of York County.
Two children have been born to them : Carlton
P. and Harvey James. Mrs. Sunday belongs to
the Reformed Church. Mr. S. has retired from
farming.

AMOS G. THRONE was born in Spring Garden
Township, May 16, 1844. His parents were Samuel
and Harriet (Green) Throne, natives, respectively, of
Adams and York Counties, Penn., and reared six
children — four sons and two daughters— of whom
Amos G. is the eldest son and second child. Until
he became of age he lived on his father's farm, and
attended the common schools in his township. At
the age of twenty-five he began for himself. His
father having died in 1862, he remained with his
mother in charge of the farm until 1869. May 5,
1868, he was married at Harrisburg, Penn., to
Amanda M. Smyser, of Spring Garden, daughter of
Daniel Smyser. The Smyser and Throne families
came originally from Germany, but the Green fami-
ly came from England. This marriage was blessed
with two children: Wilmer Clayton and Nettie Au-
gusta. Both he and wife belong to the Lutheran
Church. Mr. Throne is an active Republican. He
was inspector of election in Spring Garden Town-



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 199 of 218)