John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 200 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 200 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ship, and one term school director, elected in 1882,
in Manchester Township. He takes an active part
in the cause of education. In 1876 he removed from
his home to Manchester Township, but in 1882 re-
moved again to his home about one mile north from
York. He also owns a very fine farm of upward of
150 actes, in the township, which he rents out. In
September, 1884, he was elected a director of the
Farmers Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Dov-
er, Conewago, Newberry, East and West Manches-
ter Townships, in the county of York and the State
of Pennsylvania, and elected secretary of the com-
pany by the board of directors.

HENRY S. TYSON, son of Henry and Susanna
(Shultz) Tyson, was born October 8, 1829. His
father, of English descent, a native of Ohio, died in
this county in 1879, aged eighty-one years. His
mother, a descendant of a German family, who
were among the first settlers of York County, died
in 1881, aged eighty-seven years. By this marriage
six sons and four daughters were born. The subject
of this sketch was the fourth son and eighth child,
and grew to manhood on his father's farm, after-
ward learned the carpenter's trade, and pursued it
in York from 1849 to 1853. He practiced veterinary
surgery for a few years; from 1863 to 1873, he fol-
lowed mining at Smyser Iron Ore Bank, and for
two years was an engineer on the York Water
Works. In the spring of 1882, he took charge of
"Sinking Spring Farm," of 335 acres, owned by P.
A. S. Small. Mr. Tyson was married to Leah E.,
daughter of Herman Hoke. They had two chil-
dren : Herman (deceased), and Mary Jane. Mr. Ty-
son and his family are members of the Lutheran
Church.

DANIEL H. WIER was born in Conewago
Township, York County, September 28, 1848, and
is the eldest of three sons of Moses and Catherine
(Hake) Wier, natives of York County, and of Ger-



man descent. He was brought up on a farm and
worked some at the trade of carpenter. He was
! educated at York County Academy and Normal
j School, and at Gentzler's Practical Schools. He
taught five terms in the public schools of York
County, from 1868 to 1873, two in Conewago, and
three in Manchester Township. He was married at
York, May 8, 1873, to Leah Shindel, a native of
Manchester Township. They have one child, Ka-
tie Ellen. He removed to the farm now occupied
by him about two miles north of York, where he is
engaged in farming and stock raising. He is a
member of the Reformed Church, and his wife of
the Lutheran Church. He was clerk of Manches-
ter Township in 1874-75-76, and auditor of Cone-
wago Township in 1879-80-81. In politics he is a
Republican.

JOHNH. WOGAN was born in Manchester
Township, December 16, 1837, upon the farm pur-
chased by John Wogan from the sons of William
Penn. From John it descended to his son, John,
Jr., then to George, then to another John H. Sub-
ject was the only son, with one sister. He was
educated at different academies in Pennsylvania.
On his becoming of age he went into business for
himself, such as farming, raising and dealing in leaf
tobacco, handling as many as 1,600 cases at 400
pounds per case in a single year. At the age of
twenty-one he was married at Lancaster, Penn., to
Sarah Wolf. They had six children: Caleb L.,
Annie W., George, William W., Edmond and Ira
Park. Mr. Wogan is an active Republican, was
school director two terms, is a director in the Dover
Fire Insurance Company, and is a member and
manager of the York Agricultural Society. He owns
and manages 800 acres of land in York County, em-
ploying from ten to thirty -four hands, all the year
around. He is also a member of the firm of Wolf
& Co., at Mount Wolf. His father died aged eighty
years, but his mother is still living, now seventy-
five years old. The Wogans are of Scotch-Irish
descent. His mother was Margaret Hay, daughter
of John Hay, and sister of Cols. George and Alex-
ander Hay, who served in the late war. Mr. Wo-
gan's grandfather, John, was a flfer in the Revolu-
tionary war. The Wogans first settled in Maryland,
but afterward came to York County, and settled a
large tract of limestone land, on the west bank of
the Susquehanna River, then in Lancaster County,
and in New Holland, then an important lumber
point. They had then five farms and owned a
number of fox hounds, and the same breed of
hounds are still on the place, and are used by the
Wogans in fox chases. The present owner is an
expert fox hunter.

CHARLES H. YINGER is the fifth of twelve
children of Paul and Christine Yinger, of Man-
chester Township. Early in life, Mr. Yinger worked
as a blacksmith in his father's shop, witli whom he°
learned the trade. He carried on this business for
twelve years— ten years in York Township, and
two years in Manchester Township. March 15,
1849, Mr. Yinger married Mary Hoover, daughter of
William and Rebecca (Matthias) Hoover, of Man-
chester Township. Three children have blessed
this marriage: Margaret (deceased), Albert (de-
ceased) and Ellen. Mr. Yinger has been school
director two terms, also member of the council of
Manchester Borough, and enjoys the confidence
and esteem of his neighbors and all who know him.
His ancestors were early settlers in Manchester
Township.

GEORGE S. YINGER was born in this town-
ship, August 8, 1838, son of Paul and Christine
(Snyder) Yinger. He began learning the carpen-
ter's trade in his sixteenth year and commenced
contracting on his own account at the early age of
twenty years. He has been very successful in his



146



MONAGHAN TOWNSHIP.



business, and has erected some of the finest private
residences in York and York County. In October,
1859, he married Cassandria Weigle, daughter of
Martin and Mary (Schriver) Weigle, and si-x: chil-
dren have blessed this union: Annie, Brize, Alice,
Aquila, and two infants (deceased). Mr. Yinger
was a sergeant in the Two Hundreth Regiment
Pennsylvania Volunteers during the late war, and
participated in all the battles of his regiment, in-
cluding Bermuda Hundred, Fort Steadman and the
final charge on Petersburg. At the latter place his
regiment was.enaraged immediately in front of the
famous "Fort Hell."

JOHN S. YINGER is a son of Paul and Chris-
tine (Snyder) Yinger. His grandfather, Martin
Yinger, lived and died near Lewisberry, York
County. Subject's grandmother, Catherine (Grove)
Yinger, was a, daughter of Sam Grove, the gun-
smith, well known in Lewisberry, where he resided.
Paul Yinger, father of John S., was born September
17, 1793, was a blacksmith, was reared and lived on
the homestead now occupied by our subject, and
died May 7. 1876. Christine Yinger. his wife, was
born July 24, 1794, and died June 17, 1870. They
had twelve children: Jacob, born September 10,
1818; Samuel, born January 15, 1820, died Septem-
ber 11, same year; Elizabeth, born August 6, 1821;
John S., born December 27, 1822; Daniel, born
November 23, 1824; Charles Henry, born Novem-
ber 10, 1826: AVilliam, born September 10, 1828;
Paul S., born April 30, 1830; Abraham, born Feb-
ruary 9, 1832, killed In battle at Cold Harbor, Va.,
June 1, 1864; Ann Maria, born November 29, 1833;
Samuel (second), born October 6, 1836, and George
S. born August 8, 1888. John S. Yinger learned
the blacksmith's trade with his father, with whom
he afterward worked two years. In 1847, he mar-
ried Anna Good, daughter of Henrv and Elizabeth
(Strickler) Good, of Hellam Township. To this
union have been born seven children: Franklin G.,
born December 6. 1849; Absalom G.. born March
15, 1851; Emma G., October 12, 1852; Charles G.,
January 1, 1855; Henry G., July 17, 18.56; Benjamin
G. ; September 20, 1858, and Amanda G., June 8,
1861. Mr. Yinger, though advanced in years, still
carries on blacksmithing in the old shop where he
learned his trade and where his father worked for
many years.

JACOB YOST was born in York Township, July
7, 1820, and is the si.xth of a family of fourteen
children born to Abraham and Mary (Feiser) Yost,
as follows: Elizabeth (deceased), Mary (deceased),
Rachel (deceased), Rebecca, Charles, Jacob, Leah,
Caroline, Abraham, Elizabeth Ann, Peter, Isaac,
Jesse and Sarah. February 5. 1845, our subject
married Leah, daughter of David and Mary Magda-
lene (Feigley) Brillhart, of Springfield Township,
|ind this union has been blessed with two children:
Sarah, wife of Charles Herbst, and Mary, wife of
Peter Burgard, of Manchester Township. Mr.
Yost's ancestry were among the pioneers of York
Township, and his wife's forefathers, paternal and
maternal, were among the earliest settlers of Spring-
field Township. Mr. Yost is a gentleman of indus-
try and Derseverance, and has secured for himself
and family a handsome competence. He is a mem-
ber of the Baptist Church.



MONAGHAN TOWNSHIP.

HENRY BEELMAN was born April 26, 1840,
and is the son of Adam Beelman, German Baptist
minister of Carroll Township. His boyhood was
passed on the farm until the age of eighteen, when
he began to learn carpentering with his father. He



afterward became a teacher, and while thus engaged
was drafted in 1862, but was exempted on account
of his profession. In 1863 he went to Washington,
D. C, was secured by the government as a carpen-
ter, and was emplo3fed a year at Alexandria, Va.
In 1866 he married Maggie E., daughter of David
Williams, of Monaghan, went to housekeeping on
the old homestead, where he farmed six years, and
then moved to Dillsburg, and followed carpenter-
ing ten years. In the fall of 1883 he bought the
Williams homestead, took possession in the spring
of 1883, and still resides there, engaged in farming.
From 1881 to 1884 he was also engaged in the dairy
business at Dillsburg. Mr. and Mrs. Beelman
have been members of the German Baptist Church
since 1869, and are the parents of six children — two
boys and four girls. Mr. Beelman has served his
township as school director and auditor.

JACOB COCKLIN was born January 30, 1797,
in Upper Allen Township, Cumberland Co., Penn.,
and was reared a farmer. At the age of twenty-
four he began farming on his own account in his
native township, continued for several years, and
then came to this township, and, until 1827, followed
the same vocation; he then engaged in pomology
and arbor culture for about thirty years. About
1855 he made a trip to Iowa, purchased 3,000 acres
of laud, returned to York County, and subsequently
made twenty trips to Iowa, covering a traveled
distance of over 40,000 miles; he also had dealings
with over 1,500 persons; built seven houses, dug ten
wells (four of which were over fifty feet deep), cut
timber off 100 acres of land, burnt over 1,000 bush-
els of lime, built several hundred rods of stone fence,
and planted three miles of hedging. He commenced
business with $10,000 and increased his capital to
160,000, employing a host of laborers, who partici-
pated in his gains. He was a pioneer in the nursery
business in the upper part of this county, and the
country is filled with fruit trees of his introduction.
He has never had a law suit, never been ill for any
length of time, and never belonged to any secret
order. He has assisted over fifty families to homes
by advancing funds payable in from one to ten
years, and in many other respects has proved him-
self a philanthropist. January 29, 1828, he married
Catherine, daugtiter of Michael Hoover, of Lan-
caster County, and of German descent. This lady
died March 13, 1872, the mother of six children, of
whom two are living and have families: Sarah 0.
and Eli H. Mr. Cocklin's father was born in Lan-
caster County, and was the son of a native of
France. On the maternal side Mr. Cocklin is of
Welsh descent. He has served as school director,
constable, supervisor, collector, clerk, auditor, and
in other positions of public trust, but has always
been a "poor customer" to saloons, preachers, doc-
tors and lawyers. Mr. Cocklin says of himself: "I
never was drunk, never used tobacco or opium,
never was in a house of ill fame, nor gambled; have
not eaten more than two meals a day — m the morning
and noon. From 1877 to this date, June 3, 1885, the
following work has been done: 500 rod stone fence,
four feet wide and four feet high; planted 1,500
locust trees along the fence, 3,200 locust trees in a
grove of five acres, 6,800 fruit trees in orchard; ten
acres of raspberries and strawberries; digging^ and
hauling stones for fence; planted 400 grapevines,
etc. My great-grandfather wrote his name Jacob
Caquelin (French), my father wrote his in German,
Gacklin. Some write it Cockley, Gockley, Conk-
lin, etc."

ELI H. COCKLIN is the son of Jacob and
Catherine (Hoover) Cocklin, and was born in this
township, March 8, 1835. He was reared as a
farmer and nurseryman until the age of eighteen,
when he went to Waterloo, Black Hawk Co., Iowa,
and for two years engaged in the propagation of



BIOGKAPillCAL SKETCHES.



evergreen and deciduous trees; he theu returned to
his native township, and has since followed farming
and fruit growing. He has originated several
varieties of fruit, including the Ida strawberry and
Ida cherry, a description of which is given in Down-
ing's "Fruits and Fruit Trees of America," third
appendix. In 1861 he was elected school director,
served six years, and in 18S3was re-elected for three
years. He married Miss Sarah E., daughter of
Chambers and Docey Caley, of Blackhawk County,
Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Caley are of English descent,
and came from England, with four small children,
in the ship "Victory," in 1840, having been fifty-eiglit
days on the ocean. To Mr. and Mrs. Cocklin have
been born six children, as follows: Ida May, April
9, 1861; Charles Chambers, Juue 39, 1863; "Russell
Trail, October 1, 1864; B. Franklin, July 9, 1867;
AJice Dunn, January 31, 1871, and John Ault, April
36, 1873. Mr. and Mrs. Cocklin are members of the
St. Paul's Reformed Church, of Mechanicsburg,
Penn.

JOHN K. COCKLIN, son of David Cocklin, of
this township, was born June 21, 1844, and was
reared on the farm until sixteen years of age; he
then served two years at carpentering. In 1868 he
enlisted in Company A, Eleventh Pennsylvania
Cavalry, under Col. Spear, took part in Big Bethel
and other battles, and was present at the surrender
of Gen. Lee; he served until August 30, 1865, when
his regiment was discharged, after which he followed
butchering two years. He next attended school at
Dillsburg, under Prof. G. W. Hedges, with a view
of becoming a teacher, and since 1867 has taught
every year in York County, with the exception of
one year in Upper Allen Township, Cumberland
County, his terms in York consisting of sixteen in
Monaghan Township and twelve at Filey's. July
13, 1867, he married Amanda J., daughter of James
Collins, of Monaghan. Four sons and three daugh-
ters have blessed this union. Mr. and Mrs. Cocklin
and two of the children are members of the Lu-
theran Church at Filey's, of which Mr. Cocklin is a
deacon; he has also been superintendent of the
Filey's Union Sunday-school for a number of years.
He has been a K. of P. about eight years, and has
served his township in the capacities of auditor,
assessor, inspector and clerk.

HENRY DIETZ. son of Eli Dietz, of Lower
Allen Townsliip, Cumberland County, was born
January 16, 1848, and was reared on the home farm.
His first work on his own account was driving
a mill team for Henry McCormick for two years
and a half. In 1877 he commenced farming on the
old homestead, but in 1879 moved to Andersontown,
and started a blacksmith shop; never having learned
the trade, however, he employed John Miller, an
excellent workman and a finished coachsmith, to
superintend; together they made a success, and
through Mr. Miller's advice, coach-making in a
small way was added and the bu.siness so flourished
that Mr. Dietz was compelled to erect a one-story
blacksmith shop and a two-story carriage shop, and
he is now conducting the leading industry of the
village. Mr. Dietz and wife became members of
the Bethel Church, at Andersontown. in 1883, and
they have had born to them two children; Jacob
Eby, August 21, 1877, died September 33, 1877, and
John L. Ru, born in 1879.

JOHN EICHELBERGER, Esq,, was born
April 6, 1816, and is the son of John Eichelberger,
Sr., a captain in the war of 1813, at Baltimore. He
was born February 30, 1787, was of German
descent and died July 1.5, 1833. at the age of forty-
six years four months and twenty-five days. Our
subject was sent to school two years at Lititz, in
Lancaster County, and afterward was about ten
months in a store at Baltimore, Md. ; then for two
years served as clerk in the store of Alexander



Cathcart, in Shepherdstown, Cumberland Co.,
Penn., and was there married. He then moved to
and farmed on the old homestead, near Dillsburg,
for two years, and then settled on his present place
near Andersontown, York County. He was elected
justice of the peace for thirty-three years, and in
1880 was appointed to the same position by Gov.
Hoyt; he has also been a very successful pension
solicitor. November 3, 1837, he married Jane
Eckels, of Upper Allen Township, Cumberland
County, Penn., and to this union children were
born as follows: James, born December 8, 1838,
died August 30, 1861; William, Henry, born March
25, 1841, died April 1, 1844; John J., September 13,
1843; Adaline, October 18, 1845; Jacob Trego, Feb-
ruary 17, 1848; Alfred, April 5, 1850; Mary Jane,
September 3, 1858; Alice, July 6, 1856, and George
Washington, April 17, 1859.

HENRY S. FORRY, son of Henry Forry, Sr.,
of Upper Allen Township, Cumberland County,
was born April 33, 1846. Reared a farmer, he com-
menced on his own account in 1869; in 1875 he
bought a dwelling and sixteen acres of land in An-
dersontown, and engaged in growing small fruits
and garden truck; he now ships about 5,000 boxes
of strawberries each season, together with rasp-
berries, blackberries, grapes, etc. Mr. Forry served
during the late war, until August, 1865, in Com-
pany F, One Hundred and Ninety-second Pennsyl-
vania Volunteer Infantry, under Col. Stewart, and
received an honorable discharge. He was married
June 31, 1868, to Lydia A., daughter of Henry
Kimmel, of Monaghan Township," and the result
of this union is Laura Ellen, born February 18,
1874. Mr. and Mrs. Forry are members of the
Bethel Church.

ZACHARY TAYLOR FORTNEY, son of David
W. Fortney, was born in this township March 31,
1847, and was reared a farmer. He began life for
himself in 1868, and then, from 1876 to 1878, was
engaged in saw-milling; in the latter year he opened
a small store in connection with the saw-mill, etc..
near Mount Pleasant; then in the spring of 1880
moved to Mount Airy, Warrington Township, where
he spared no means but made every effort to
build up and establish a permanent trade, and
also established the postoffice at that place; re-
mained about three years, but by that greal effort
sunk $3,000 in cash; and then returned to Monaglian
again; where he has built a new store and is estab-
lishing a flourishing trade. He was the first post-
master of Fortney, and held the ofiice about i wo
years. January 2, 1868, he married Sarah A,,
daughter of George Wilson, of Upper Allen Town-
ship, Cumberland County, and to this union liave
been born George W.. October 18, 1868; Francis G..
April 4, 1870; Clara Melissa, October 3, 1871; Har-
vey Shopp, December 13, 1874, and Josc-|ihine
Bertha, April 15, 1879. Mr. and Mrs. Fortney are
members of the Chestnut Grove United Breiliren
Church.

JOHN HYDE was born in this township, June
10, 1810, to John and Barbara (Wolf) Hyde. His
grandfather, Michael, came from Germany, .lohn
Hyde (father of subject) was born in Cumberliud
County, was a shoe-maker and farmer.served in the
war of 1813, and died in this township in 18.50. aged
eighty-three, the possessor of sixty acres of huid,
and the father of eight children, viz.: Michael,
Barbara, Jennie, Elizabeth, Kate, Mary, FMnnie
and John (subject). Our subject is the owm-r of
forty-five acres of land in ^his township, \\ here,
with the exception of one year in Fairview Town-
ship, he has passed his whole life, and is its oldest
living citizen. His land he has gained throuirli his
own industry, and he still cultivates it. In 1853 he
married Susan, daughter of Henry K. Kohlar, a na-
tive of York County, and this union has been



148



MOKAGHAN TOWNSHIP.



blessed with the birth of ten children, of whom nine
lire living, viz. : Barbara, Elizabeth, Mary,Ange-
line, Sarah, Margaret, George, Andrew and Will-
iam. Mr. Hyde is a Democrat, has filled the ofiice
of commissioner, and has been for many years
school director.

HENRY KIMMEL was born September 1, 1836,
to John and Susannah (Wonders) Kimmel, in Wash-
ington Township, and is the second of three chil-
dren: Leah, Henry and John. The grandfathers
of subject, David Kimmel and Henry Wonders,
were natives of York County and both farmers.
John Kimmel, subject's father, was born in Wash-
ington Township in 1793, was the owner of two
farms, and died in 1853. Our subject, at the age of
twenty-five, began farming on his own account in
Monaghan Township and at the death of his father
fell heir to a fine piece of property of eighty-three
acres, well improved with buildings, etc. In 1850
he married Mary M., daughter of Peter and Lydia
(Crone) Ference, of York County. The six chil-
dren born to this union were named as follows:



ger), Joha (deceased), Leah C. (deceased), and Alice
(Myers). Mr. Kimmel has held a number of local
offices, and with his wife is a member of the Church
of God.

WILLIAM KIMMEL was born in Monaghan
Township, October 14, 18.54, and spent his early life
on a farm, and in attending school. September 30,
1880, ho married Miss Minnie, daughter of Warren
Whipp, of Frederick County, Md. He has had born
to him two children: Gertie May, August 6, 1881,
and Norma Blanche, September 29, 1882. Mr. Kim-
mel began teaching school in 1877, filling six terms
at Myers' school and one term at Andersontown.
In the spring of 1881 he commenced farming on his
own account. He has served his township as asses-
sor aiid clerk, and is the present auditor. He is a
deacon in the Bethel Church, at Mount Pleasant, of
which Mrs. Kimmel is also a member.

DANIEL LANDIS, son of Jacob Landis, of Up-
per Allen Township, Cumberland County, was born
January 4, 1829. He was married, October 14,
1851, to Barbara Ann, daughter of Joseph Solen-
berger. of Dickinson Township. Cumberland Coun-
ty. This lady died March 22, 1853, the mother of
one son, who died at the age of twenty-one years
and nineteen days. Our subject began for himself
by doing days' work for about six years, and then
farmed on shares for Jacob D. Mohler, near Me-
chanicshurgh, for twelve years, then moved to that
village and worked in the warehouse of T. B. Bry-
son; from the spring of 1872 until the fall of 1873 he
farmed for C. B. Hertzler, near Shepherdstown,
Cumberland County, and then bought, from the ex-
ecutors of Mrs. Mary Kinsley, a farm that had been
deeded, in 1746, to Roger Cook by Thomas and Rich-
ard Penn. April 10, 1874, he took possession of and
still resides on this farm. He also leases to H. O.
Shelly a magnetic ore mine of about eight acres.
Mr. Landis' second marriage took place February
6, 185-5, to Mary Ann, daughter of Henry Miller, of
Mechanicsburgh, and to this union have been born
one son (who died at the age of five years five
months and seven days), and two daughters: Ellen
and Nora. Mr. and Mrs. Landis are members of
the German Baptist Church, of which Mr. Landis
is a deacon, and which he joined at the age of fifty
years. The maternal great-grandfather of Mr.
Landis came from Switzerland; he landed in Amer-
ica August 29, 1730. from the ship Thistle, which
sailed from Glasgow, Scotland. His paternal an-
cestors came from Holland.

PETER A. MYERS, son of Jacob Myers, Sr.,
was born in Monaghan Township, April 12, 1838.
He was reared a farmer, and was educated in the
public school and select schools of Wellsville and



I at Dillsburg; subsequently he became a teacher
and taught thirteen terms— two while single. May,
1, 1872, he married Elmira J., daughter of Daniel

I S. Hammacher, and to this marriage children were
born as follows: Catherine L., June 19, 1863; Ulys-
ses A., May 28, 1865; Will Penrose, February 24,

I 1867, died December 16, 1869; Clara E., December
31, 1869; John A., September 28, 1872; Anna M.,
February 18, 1876; Ira Calvin, March 23, 1879; Rus-

I sel Melvin, October 1, 1884. Mr. and Mrs. Myers
started housekeeping in Henry Kimmell's spring-



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 200 of 218)