John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 201 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 201 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


house, at an annual rental of $4; the next spring he
rented a tenement from Samuel Myers, and for two
j^ears engaged in cultivating tobacco, in butchering
and teaching. In April, 1865, he rented Daniel Fry-
singer's farm, and for a year engaged in cultivating

[ tobacco, butchering and dealing in stock. In the
spring of 1866 he purchased a house and thirteen
acres of land half a mile south of Mount Pleasant,
and turned his attention to fruit culture, planting
555 apple trees, 1,800 peach trees of twenty-five
varieties, 100 pear trees, 50 apricot and 25 varie-
ties of cherry trees, and two acres of small
fruits. Twelve years later he purchased his present
homestead of 150 acres. Here he has three acres
planted in straM'berries, and in one season has
shipped as high as 16,000 boxes, besides 10,000 box-
es of raspberries, together with grapes.plums, peach-
es, apples, cherries, apricots, etc. Mr. Myers has
held several offices of public trust, including those
of supervisor, assessor and auditor.

I ELI D. MYERS, son of Jacob and Sarah (Mil-

f ler) Myers, of this township, was born October 17,
1843, and gi-ew to manhood on the farm, receiving
his education in the public schools during the winter
months. He began business for himself in the
spring of 1869 on the farm of William B. Miller, in
this township, remained one year, and then moved

I to his father's place near Siddonsburgh, where he
still resides. He married Rebecca, daughter of
Peter Huntzberger, of Newville, Cumberland Coun-
ty, and was born October 11, 1844. To this
union have been born five children: Alvin G., Sep-
tember 21, 1870; Harry E., March 23, 1873, died
May 7, 1879; Willie Clarence, April 17, 1875; Mer-
vin Hayes, July 1, 1878, and Laura May, May 28,
1883. Mr. and Mrs. Myers are members of the Re-
formed Church, at Filey's, of which Mr. Myers
has been a deacon for six years; he has also served
his township as inspector and collector, one year in
each capacity.

JACOB MYERS, son of Jacob Myers, Sr., of
Warrington Township, was born December 20,
1850, and is of German descent. At the age of five
years he lost his mother, when he went to live with
his grandfather; at the age of nine he returned to
his father, and at fourteen hired out to an
uncle; two years later he returned to his grandfa-
ther, and remained with him until tw enty-two years

' old, when, December 24, 1872, he married Anna,
daughter of John B. Grove, of Warrington To wn-

! ship. He was employed in trucking with Mr.

' Cocklin a year, and then bought a tract of land near
Mount Pleasant, where he is still engaged in truck-
ing and raising berries. He has had born to him a
family of five children — three boys and two girls — of
whom one boy and two girls are living.

SAMUEL MYERS was born in Monaghan

; Township, July 3, 1830, and is of German and
English descent. He was reared a farmer and, in

I 1843, began on his own account. January 3, 1845,

I he married Leah, daughter of John Kimmel, of
Monaghan Township, and of German descent. The
children born to this union were John A., November
6, 1845; Elmira Jane, May 14, 1847, died March 2,

t 1851; Susan, May- 28, 1849; Samuel W., November

I 16, 1851; Henry 'W., March 15, 1853; Solomon B.,

' December 3, 1854; George E., October 23, 1856;



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



David M., February 15, 1858: Elizabeth E.. Decem-
ber S8, 1859; Daniel E., June 24, 1863, died Marcli
14, 1863; Charles h., November 6, 1864. Our sub-
ject has been a member of the Bethel Church
at Mt. Pleasant since 1844, and for over thirty-
years an elder; for twenty-live or thirty years
he has been superintendent of the Union Sunday-
school, and for about twelve years was su-
perintendent bf the Myers' Sunday-school; he
organized the first Sunday-school convention
in the upper end of the township and for
a year acted as president; he served as supervisor
for several years, and for seven years was a member
of the Warrington Rangers, as orderly, having
been honorably discharged in 1843. He assisted at
the revival meeting at the Marshall farm near
Wellsville in 1844, and was the first young man to
make a public prayer in that neighborhood.

WILLIAM A. MYERS, justice of the peace, was
born in this township, October 8, 1843, was reared a far-
mer, and at the age of twenty went to New York City,
then toLycomingCounty, this State, where heengaged
in the lumber business, and in the fall of 1863 re-
turned to his native county, and taught school in
Washington Township six terms, and fourteen terms
in Monaghan Township, doing farm work during
the summers. He now owns two small farms de-
voted to fruit culture. He married Mary, daughter
of Daniel S. Hammacher, of Monaghan Township.
To this union have been born four children, viz.:
Anna L., August 30, 1871, died September 17, 1876;
Levi Milton, January 33,1873; Elizabeth Ida, Octo-
ber 7, 1874, died September 15. 1876; and Harry
Calvin, June 82, 1876. Mr. Myers has served as
assessor one year, auditor three years, tax collector
one year, and was elected justice of the peace in the
spring of 1884. He is a niember of the Church of
God, at Mt. Pleasant, of which church he has been
a deacon three years and an elder three years.

JOHN ANDREW MYERS, postmaster, was born
November 6, 1845, and is a son of Samuel and Leah
Myers, of this township. He was reared a farmer,
engaged in agricultural pursuits on his own account
in 1866, and so continued until 1869, when he entered
the mercantile trade at Siddonsburg; in 1873 he was
appointed postmaster. June 3, 1884, he started on
an extensive tour of the South and visited the south-
ern part of Florida, and all points of interest in the
Gulf States. He was married, December 36, 1865,
to Sarah A., daughter of Peter Brenneman, of this
township, and to this union were born Rosetta E.,
January 13, 1867. died October 8, 1870; Sarah Alice,
November 13, 1868, died January 1, 1879; Clarence
B., January 39, 1871, died March 39, 1871; Agnes,
September 14, 1873; Jenny May, September 7, 1875.
Mr. and Mrs. Myers are members of the Church of
God, Siddonsburg, of which Mr. Myers has been
deacon for a number of years, as well as superinten-
dent of the Sunday-school. Mr. Myers is a stock-
holder in the Harrisburg & Potomac Railroad, and
a stockholder in and director and secretary of the
Mt. Pleasant Hall Association.

DAVID D. MYERS, son of John and Eliza
Myers, of this township, was born February 1, 1847,
and is of German descent. He was reared on the
home farm, of which he assumed charge in 1868.
In 1871 he made an extensive tour of the West; in
1874 he commenced dealing in agricultural imple-
ments at Dillsburg, and in 1881 he bought the
home farm of eighty-seven acres, of which fifteen
acres are in woodland. 'Mr. Myers has taken
great interest in politics; has served his township as
inspector; was a delegate to the Republican county
conventions from 1868 to 1884 twelve times; and to
the State conventions of 1881 and 1883, and he is
also a prominent member of the P. of H. In Decem-
ber, 1867, he married Eliza Jane, daughter of
Joseph Elcock, of Mechanicsburg, and this union



with six children: Minnie Florence,
Elizabeth Lillian, Walter Loudon, Mary Ellen,
Eliza Edith and Lura (deceased). Mrs. Myers is a
member of the Bethel Mt. Pleasant Church.

WILLIA.M R. PROWELL, M. D., was born in
Fairview Township, this county, March 30, 1854,
and was reared on the home farm. He was educat-
ed in the public schools, and at the normal school,
Millersville, Lancaster County. During the winter
of 1873-73 he was engaged in teaching, and in the
spring of 1873 began the study of medicine under
Dr. Swiler, of Yocumtown. From 1874 to 1876, in-
clusive, he attended Jefferson Medical College,
Philadelohia, graduating March 10, 1876. He began
practice April 11, 1876, at Siddonsburg, and now
has a very large practice— has visited as high
as , thirty-five patients in twenty-four hours.
October 5, 1876, he married Miss Jennie, daughter
of the late John Elcock, Sr., of Siddonsburg, and
this union has resulted in the birth of four children:
Viola May, October 17, 1878, died September 13,
1883; Tolbert, born April 4, 1882, Ella and Nellie,
born August 15, 1884. Ella died March 36, 1885.
The doctor is a member of the Cumberland County
Medical Society.

GEORGE D. SHAFFER, son of James Shaffer,
was born in this township, November 15, 1823. At
the age of eighteen he began stone-masonry, but
disliking the trade, after three or four years, under-
took farming. April 16, 1846, he married Margaret,
daughter of John Myers, of Monaghan Township,
and went to housekeeping on the farm of Judge
Dare, near Siddonsburg, for whom he was manager
for nineteen years. After the Judge's death, Mr.
Shaffer removed to his present farm of 130 acres
near Bryson Stone Bridge, which farm he had pur-
chased from Jacob Cocklin. In addition to this
place, Mr. Shaffer is now the owner of two other
farms, on which there are good buildings. In 1876
Mr. Shaffer embarked in the lumber and coal trade
at Bowmansdale, Cumberland County, ten miles
from Harrisburg, on the Harrisburg & Potomac
Railroad, in which road he is a stockholder: he has
also traveled through the West and the Canadas,
and was once a delegate to the Eldership of the
Church of God at Findlay, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs.
Shaffer joined Ibis church in 1843, and Mr. Shaffer
has been either deacon or elder ever since. He has
also served his township as school director, treasurer
and auditor. He is the father of eleven children:
Dare G., in Kansas; SamuelM., miningin Colorfido;
James W-, at home, assisting on the farm, and in
the coal and lumber business, and eight daughters,
of whom the eldest four are married, and two are
dead.

JAMES WILLIAM SHAFFER was born March
16, 1853, in Monaghan Township, York Co., Penu.
His father, 6. D. Shaffer, being a farmer, his early
life was spent upon the farm, and attending the dis-
trict school. At the age of fifteen he entered the
Cumberland Valley Institute at Mechanicsburg,
remaining for several sessions, and then took a
special course of instruction at the Chambersbui-g
Academy. Wishing to learn a trade he engaged in
the saddle and harness manufacturing business, and
carried it on successfully from 1871 to 1874, when he
sold out and engaged in farming. During the sum-
mer of 1875 he traveled extensively through New
York State and the Canadas. Visited Maryland,
Virginia, North Carolina, New Jersey and Dela-
ware, during the winter of 1880. Engaged in the
lumber and coal business :with his father in Bow-
mansdale, Cumberland Co., Penn., in 1876. and
has continued it until the present. He also traveled
through Florida and some of the Southern States
in the summer of 1884. He was appointed entmier-
ator of the tenth census, and held other oflBces of
trust and honor.



130



NEWBERRY TOAVNSHIP.



DANIEL W. WEXGART, M. D., was born io
Monroe Township, Cumberland Co., Penn.,
May 1, 1830, He was reared a farmer until the age
of seventeen, when he entered the Mechanicsburg
Institute, and a year later took up the study of
medicine under Dr. Eckert, near Shippensburgh.
He first engaged in practice three miles west of
Mechanicsburg, but, owing to ill-health, relin-
quished the profession until 1854, n'hen he resumed
at Mt, Pleasant, and in a short time established a
remunerative business, which he held until his re-
moval to Mechanicsburg to engage in the drug
trade, in connection with practice. One year later
he returned to Mt. Pleasant and resecured his old
patronage, which he has also increased to a flatter-
ing degree, having been remarkably successful in
obstetrics and the treatment of typhoid fever. He
married, April 6, 1853, Miss Elizabeth, daughter of
John Cooper, of New Kingston. To this union
have been born three children: Mary E., Septem-
ber 26, 1857; John C, February 24, 1859; Daniel
Webster, August 31, 1861.

JONATHAN WILLIAMS was born Decem-
ber 7, 1821, and is a son of Jonathan Williams, Sr.
He assisted his father on the home farm until his
marriage,- February 18. 1847, to Margaret, daughter
of Elihu Park, of this township.' In 1819 he
settled on his present farm of 140 acres, all under
cultivation, and erected his dwelling and barn.
There were born to him ten children, of whom
four are living: Elspy J., at home: Mary Elizabeth,
wife of Amos Fortney: Blverda Frances, wife of
David Brougher, and Maggie C. The parents are
members of the Presbyterian Church at Dillsburg,
having joined in 1860. Mr. Williams has served as
school director, two terms: assessor, one year; as-
sistant-assessor, three terms, and auditor, three
years.



NEWBERRY TOWNSHIP.

CHARLES E, BAIR was born May 7, 1852, in
Newberry Township, York Co,, Penn,, and is a
son of Benjamin and Anna (Rudy) Bair, natives of
Lehigh and York Counties, Penn,, respectively,
and of German descent, Charles E, is the eighth
of a family of fifteen children. He is a cigar-
maker by trade, and owns and controls a cigar
factory near Newberrytown, Penn, Until his
eighteenth year, he remained with his parents, and
received a common school education. At the age
of eleven years he began learning his trade, which
he has since followed. In 1877 he opened a factory
one mile from Newberrytown, but in 1883 removed
to Nevvberrytown, where he is at present located,
manufacturing about 400,000 cigars annually, and
employing from six to ten men. In 1871 he was
married to Ellen B. Beshore, They have had seven
children: William, Fillmore, Annie, Harvey,
Daniel, Vernon (deceased) and Ross, Mrs, Bair is
a diiughter of Daniel and Mary (Fink) Beshore,
native of York County, Penn. She is a member
of the Church of God, Mr. Bair started in life as
a poor boy, and by his own industry and economy,
has accumulated some property. He owns good
property in town, and, eighteen acres of land. He
is a Democrat, has been elected to various offices,
and at present holds the office of justice of the
peace of the township,

PROF, SAMUEL J, BAKER was born in
Paradise Township, York Co,, Penn,, January
21, 18.56. His parents were Samuel and Catha-
rine (Jaco'js) Baker, of the same torsns'iip, and of



English descent. They had eleven children— three
sons and eight daughters, of whom Samuel J, is
the third one in the familj-. At an early age he
assisted his father at shoe-making and attended tlie
public schools. At the age of eighteen years he
commenced studying brass band music at Big
Mound, and became so proficient in a short time,
that he became leader of a band at Big Mound, in
1875; and, since 1878, has given his whole attention
to music and band teaching. He is also a teacher
of classes on the organ and violin. In 1880 he re-
moved to Goldsboro, where he has since made his
home. He has instructed nine bands in York
County and one in Lancaster County, and is at
present teaching four bands: Independent Band
(Goldsboro), Manchester Cornet Band, Strinestown
Band and New Salem Band, He is also leader of
Baker's Orchestra at Goldsboro, and arranges and
composes music for bands, etc, December 23, 1880,
he married Susan Ziegler, of Wellsville, York
County, Penn, They have one child, Lottie May,
Prof. Baker is a mernber of the Reformed Church,
also of the S, of A,

ELIAS D, BRECKINRIDGE was born in Lan-
caster County, Penn., April 23, 1834. His parents
were William and Elizabeth (Duck) Breckinridge,
natives of Chester and Lancaster Counties, Penn.,
and of Scotcli-Irish and German descent, respec-
tively. Thej' were married in Lancaster County,
Penn., and reared a family of three sons and five
daughters, one infant deceased. Elias D. is the
eldest son, and he remained on the farm until sixteen
years of age, when he began learning the business
of woolen manufacturing, which he followed for
twenty-six years. In 1879 he was appointed store-
keeper and gauger, and assigned to Reynold's dis-
tillery. Ninth District, Penn., but was transferred
at tliie end of a few months to Kauflfman's dis-
tillerj', in the same district, where he remained a
little over a year. In July, 1880, he took charge at
Tree's distillery, in York County, Penn., where he
remained till June, 1882. In January, 1883, he
came to Goldsboro, where he has since been keep-
ing the Railroad Hotel. He was married, in Salis-
bury Township, Lancaster Co., Penn., May 21,
1857, to Susanna Nixon, of the same county, and of
Irish descent. They have had nine children:
Florence E., Cora A., U. S. G., Charles S., Oscar
L. (deceased). Eugene O., Imogene M., William
I Robert and Roscoe G. (deceased). Mr. Breckin-
ridge is P. G. of the I. O. O. F., and also a member
of the K. of P. He is a Republican.

AMBROSE BRINTON was born in November,
1831, in York County, Penn., and is the third of
nine children born to John and Sarah (Sunday)
Brinton, natives of York County, Penn., and of
English descent. The father followed farming un-
till his death in 1876. The mother is still residing
at the old homestead. Ambrose received a common
school education, and remained with his parents
until his twenty-second year, when he began busi-
ness for himself. He followed farming until the
fall of 1883, when he came to Lewisberry, Penn.,
where he opened a first-class hotel. His brother,
John, has since torn down the old structure, and
erected a fine frame building, which is an ornament
to the borough. The hotel has seventeen rooms,
elegantly furnished, and Mr. Brinton is prepared to
furnish first class accomodations to the traveling
public. He was married, July 26, 1874, to Margaret
Shank. Tliey have had four children: Emma J.,
Herman (deceased), Samuel H. and Annie B. In
politics he is a Democrat.

ABRAM COBLE was born jluly 25,1843,in York
County,Penu., and is the fifth of eight children of
Peter and Mary (Christ) Coble, deceased, of York
County. Penn., and of Dutch descent. The father
was a shoe-maker by trade, but quitted that occu-



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES.



151



pation and began farming, which he followed till
his death. Abram Coble was brought up a farmer,
and followed that occupation until the fall of 1861,
when he enlisted in Company H, Eighty-seventh
Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, for
three years, and participated in the engagements of
Mine Run, Wilderness, Cold Harbor, Petersburg,
Winchester and numerous others. He was dis-
charged as corporal at York in 1864. In the fall of
1865 he began learning the blacksmith's trade, and
moved to York, Penn., where he worked nine years.
Thence he went to Fairview Township, where he
remained three years, and then located in Yocum-
town, Penn.. where he is now doing a good busi-
ness. In 1867 he married Susan Hartman, daugh-
ter of Cornelius and Mary A. (Banner) Hartman, of
German descent. By this union they have tliree
children: John W., Mary A. and Carrie E. Mr.
and Mrs. Coble are members of the United Brethren
Church.

MARTIN S. CRULL was born in Newberry
Township, York Co., Penn., July 6, 1841, and is the
eldest of the two children born to John and Lydia
(Shelley) CruU, natives of York County, Penn.,
and of English and German descent. Tlie father
followed farming until 1856, then engaged in the
mercantile business until 1861, when he enlisted in
the United States army for two years. The hard-
ships and exposure undermined his health, which
he never recovered. He died July 17, 1876. Mar-
tin S. remained on the farm until he was seventeen
years of age, when he assisted his father in the
mercantile business until 1863, when he purchased
his father's stock of goods and continued the busi-
ness until 1876. He enlisted in the army; was mus-
tered in Company B, Two Hundredth Regiment
Pennsylvania Volunteers, in the fall of 1864, and
served till the close of the war in the Third Division,
Ninth Corps. He took part in the battles of
Spring Hill, Fort Steadman, Petersburg, was mus-
tered out at Fort Ellsworth, Va., May 29, 1865. and
discharged June 5, 1865. He was married to Mary
Sipe in 1861. They have eight children: Henrietta,
Grant, Clara J., Abraham S., Cecelia. Josephine,
Daisy and Ada. In 1875 Mr. Crull removed to his
present fine farm of 130 acres. For sixteen years he
held the office of postmaster in Newberrytown.

DUGAN & FUNK, manufacturers and dealers
in cigars, Goldsboro, Penn. This firm is composed
of Ross W. Dugan and John C. Funk, of New-
berry Township, York Co., Penn. They both
learned the trade of cigar-making with Jesse
Funk, father of one of the firm, and worked at it
as journeymen for a number of 3'ears. They formed
a partnership in 1878, and for some time did all the
work themselves, but as the business increased they
employed other labor until they had about eleven
hands, manufacturing nearly half a million cigars
in a 3'ear. In addition to their own cigars they
handle and sell a great many made by other man-
ufacturers. The senior member of the firm is a
step-son of Jesse Funk, the father of the junior,
under whom they learned their trade. They are
both married. Mr. Dugan married Susan Berger,
of Goldsboro, and has one child living, one having
died. Mr. Funk married Lillie K. Reider, of Steel-
ton, and has one child. Both gentlemen are mem-
bers of the Church of God. Neither of them takes
any active part in politics. Mr. Dugan is the only
child of Levi and Catharine (Wolf) Dugan, natives
of York County, Penn., of Irish and German de-
scent, respectively. His father dying when he was
but two years old, his mother was married to Jesse
Funk, who had nine children.

WILLIAM EPPLEY was born February 3,
1852, in Newberry Township, York Co., Penn., and
is the youngest of a family of three sons and three
daughters of William and Sidney (Hays) Eppley,



of York County, and of English and Welsh
descent, respectively. The father kept hotel in
Newberrytown for thirty-five years, but a few years
before his death retired from business. The grand-
father. Mills Hays, was once associate judge of
York County. William Eppley was brought 'up in
the village of Newberrytown, where he received a
good public school education. At the age of twenty-
one he went to Harrisburg, Penn., where he engaged
as salesman in a cigar store; remained about one
year. He then returned to his native town and en-
gaged in the hotel business and the manufacture of
cigars, which he has since followed with great suc-
cess. He manufactures about 200,000 cigars a }'ear.
He was married, October 7, 1875, to Maggie Bower,
a daughter of Henry and Mary J. (Kister) Bower,
of York County, Penn., and of Dutch and English
descent, respectively. By this union they have two
children: William B. and Maude B. Eppley.

DANIEL F. FISHEL was born in Manor Town-
ship, Lancaster Co., Penn., October 13, 1838, and is
a son of Henry and Mary (Frey) Fishel, of York
and Lancaster Counties, Penn., and of German and
English descent, respectively. Daniel F. is the eld-
est son in a family of four sons and seven daugh-
ters: two of the daughters died at the ages of six
and seven; all the other children, with the excep-
tion of Daniel F. and another, still reside in Lan-
caster County with their father, their mother being
dead. One sister resides in Indiana. At the age ot
eighteen, Daniel F. began learning the painting
trade at Washington Borough, Penn., and worked
at it five years. In August, 1864, he engaged in the
saw-mill business at Washington Borough, and has
since followed it. For three years he was a partner
of Mr. Stamen, of that place. In 1880 he removed
to Goldsboro, York Co., Pe.nn., and took charge of
Isaac Frazer's saw-mill, as superintendent. In addi-
tion to his duties as superintendent, he, in 1883, also
took charge of a farm of 162 acres, which belonged to
Mr. Frazer. In all, he has charge of thirteen men
on the farm and in the mill. In the winter of 1862
he enlisted, at Harrisburg, Penn., in Company E,
One Hundred and Sevent}'-eighth Regiment Penn-
sylvania Volunteers, a nine months' regiment con-
nected with the Army of the Potomac. He was in
the engagements at Bottom Ridge and Baltimore
Cross Roads, and a number of skirmishes. Return-
ing to his native county, he was married, December
31, 1871, to Mary E. Stamen, a daughter of his late
employer. They have six children: Eugenia, Joseph-
ine, Mary, Stamen, Myra and Anna. Mr. Fishel
is a member of the I. O. O. F. He was school di-
rector of Washington Borough three terms, coun-
cilman one term, and chief burgess one term.

ELI H. FREE was born in 1825, in York Co.,
Penn., and is the eldest of eleven children of Adam
and Mary (Hake) Free, natives of York County,



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 201 of 218)