John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 202 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 202 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and of German descent, respectively, and both de-
ceased. The father was a carpenter, but at the age
of twenty -five years, began farming and running a
distillery, which he followed until his death in
1854. Eli H. was brought up a farmer, received a
good education, and taught school for two terms,
when the free school system was first introduced.
In 1847 he married Mary KrafEt, who died in 1865,
They had six children: Oliver, Mary, Emma,
Amanda, Sarah and Ida. In 1863, when the rebels
came to York, Penn., they passed his residence,
then in Manchester Township, and took one of his
best horses. In the spring of 1863 he moved to
York, Penn., and established a hotel, now known
as the Pennsylvania House. He remained there six
years, when he sold the hotel, and moved to his
present farm, located in Newberry Township, which
contains 113 acres of land in a high state of cultiva-
tion, and finely situated. Mr. Tree's second mar-
riage was, in 1868, to Catherine Cassel. They have



153



NEWBERRY TOWNSHIP.



had three children: Clara E., Louisa and Daniel H.
(deceased). Mr. and Mrs. Free belong to the Lu-
theran Church. He is a member of the I. O. R.
M. Lodge ^37, of York, Penn. In politics he is a
Republican. He was a member of the school board
in Manchester Township, and is a member of the
board where he now resides. He served as justice
of the peace in Manchester for five years, receiving
his commission from Gov. William F. Johnson. He
also enrolled Manchester Township in the faU of
1861, for the draft.

' JACOB GARRETSON was born in 1826, in
Warrington Township. York Co., Penn.; his par-
ents were Israel and Ruth (Walker) Garretson,
natives of York County, and of English descent.
They had eight children, of whom Jacob is the
eldest. His father was a son of Jacob Garretson,
who was a son of William Garretson, one of the
first settlers of Newberry Township, who left a
farm, which was given by him to Jacob and bj' him
to Israel, and by him given to the subject of this
sketch. At his father's death subject was appointed
' administrator of his father's estate, and sold the
old homestead, which had been in the family for
over 100 years, and on which he had been reared.
In 1877 he married Eliza Betz. In religion, the
Garretsons have all been Friends, and in politics
they had always been Whigs and Republicans.
Mr. Garretson and family at present reside on the
old Hoops property, in sight of the old homestead.
He owns over 2.50 acres of choice land and is a
prosperous farmer. Previous ancestry of Jacob
Garretson were: Great-great-grandparents .John and
Content Garretson. John Garretson was born lllH,
his children were William Garretson. born in 1738-
39; John, 1741; Ann, 1745; Samuel, 17.50; Sarah,
1752; Content, 1754; Cornelius, 1756; Joseph, 1759.
Great-grandfather, William Garretson, was born
1788-89; Lydia his wife was born 1744. Their chil-
dren were William, born in 1762; Elizabeth, 1763;
John, 1765; Jacob, 1767; Martha, 1769. Grand-
father, Jacob Garretson, and Mary, his wife, were
born in 1763; their children were Lydia, born in
1796; Israel. 1798; Jacob. 1800; Daniel, 1802; James
1809. Parents. Israel and Ruth (Walker) Garretson,
and their children: Jacob Garretson, was born in
1826; Lydia, 1828; Ruthanna, 1833; Mary, 1836;
Martha, 1839; Robert,- 1842; and Marie, 1845. Jacob
Garretson's wife's paternal ancestry: Great-great-
grandfather Betz died at the age of one hundred
and five years; he had six sons, who were all stone-
masons, the grandfather of George Betz being one.
The father of George Betz died about 1822; he was
about fifty years of age. George had one brother,
Michael, who died about 1832, aged about thirty
years; he had four sisters, all dead except one.
George Betz's mother was born February 1,1775;
died about December 9, 1844, aged seventy years.
She was, before marriage, Elizabeth Sheaffer.
George Betz was born 1812, died March 28, 1885,
aged seventy two years ten months and four days.
Her maternal ancestry: Jacob Hummer, grand-
father, born 1748, died, 1854, aged ninety-six years.
Mrs. Jacob Hummer, born 1778, and died February,
1811, aged thirty-eight years; her maiden name was
Treimyer, a family of very high standing; she had
a brother, Jacob. Jacob Hummer moved from
New Holland, Lancaster County; he had a sister.
Rachel, who reached ninety years of age; he had
a son, John, born in 1794, died 1855, aged sixty-one
years; he was a man of culture. Jacob Hummer
had four sons and four daughters. Rebecca Hum-
mer, wife of George Betz, was born in 1811, died
in 1871, aged fifty-nine years eight months and two
days.

DAVID H. GOOD was born September 21, 1839,
in Dauphin County, Penn., and is the fifth son and
seventh child of a family of nineteen children born



to Peter and Catharine (Zorger) Good, natives of
York County, Penn. He was brought up a farmer
and remained with his parents until his twenty-
second year, when he enlisted in Company A,
Second District of Columbia Volunteer Infantry,
January 17, 1862, and participated in the battles of
Antietam, Fort Washington and second Bull Run.
At the expiration of his term of service, three
years, he was discharged, January 18, 1865, when
he came home and resumed farming, and after two
years engaged in the mercantile business, which he
has followed since. He began 1 usiness at Eberly
Mills, Cumberland Co., Penn., but came to his
present place in 1870. In 1871 he was commissioned
postmaster of Yocuratown. In 1868 he married
Mrs. Carrie (King) Tate, widow of Martin Tate,
and daughter of Heury and Susan (Raffensberger)
King, of York County, and of English and German
descent. They have two children; Maggie and
Catherine.

REV. WILLIAM JOHN GRISSINGER, resi-
dent pastor of the Bethel Church of God at Golds-
boro, York Co., Penn., was borh in Huntingdon
County, Penn., January 16, 1844, son of Samuel
and Mary(McNeal) Grissinger, natives of York and
Huntingdon Counties, and of German and Irish
descent respectively. They had three sons and six
daughters. William was the eldest of the family.
He remained on his father's farm till he was fifteen
years old, attending the public schools, and also for
one term the Millersville Normal School. He ac-
quired a thorough English education, and at thirty
years of age began studying for the ministry. In
October, 1876, he was licensed and ordained to
preach, and at once went to Newport, Perry Co.,
Penn., wjiere he preached two years. His subse-
quent charges were Clearfield Mission at Clear-
field, Penn., one year; Newville and Plainfield.
Cumberland County, two years. He then returned
to Newport and thence to Goldsboro, in October,
1882. Before studying for the ministry, he taught
school for five terms' He was married at Mt.
Carrol, 111., in 1865. to Catharine Chitty, of Illinois.
They have five children: Samuel C, Benjamin F.,
Clarence Rudolph, Carrie A., Juanita and Oliver L.
Mr. Grissinger was brought up in the church of
God, and became a member at the age of eighteen
years. At present he has charge of four congrega-
tions: Goldsboro. Newberrytown, Yocumtown
and Smoketown. From 1869 to 1876 he was engaged
in mercantile business at New Grenada, Penn.
His great-grandfather, John Grissinger, who came
from Germany, located near Lewisberry, wliere he
died in 1853, a^ed nearly ninety-eight years.
He had 382 descendants: 123 grandchildren, 243
great-grandchildren. 3 great-great-grandchildren
and 14 children.

HERVEY HAMMOND. About the year 1634.
William Hammond, son of Admiral Hammond, of
the English navy, embarked in the ship Francis,
from Ipswich, England, and immigrating to America,
joined the Boston colony, and settled at Water-
town, Mass. He descended from aprominentfamily
of his native country, and from him and his brother,
Thomas, also an immigrant to Massachusetts,
most of the Hammonds in this country descended.
Like many other people of the thrifty and intelligent
classes of Englnad. these brothers determined to seek
a new home in the Western world, where civil liberty
and religious freedom would be honored and respect-
ed. It was contemporaneous with this emigration,
that the tyranny of Charles I. was greater than the
liberty-loving people could endure, consequently
most of the members of the Boston colony were
generally enterprising and intelligentPuritanstock,
and some of their descendants have become promi-
nent and influential in the history of America.
Among them were the ancestors of President Gar




/;;^^,^^^^^^^.^^^^^2-t<^_



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



field and Gen. Sherman, who also settled in Water-
town and intermarried with the Hammonds. Jabez
(or Jason) Hammond, grandfather of the subject,
located in Canterbury Township, Windham Co.,
Conn., about 1760; when the Revolutionary war
opened, he entered the military service and partic-
ipated in several hard-fought battles in that pro-
longed struggle for American freedom. Elisha
Hammond, his son, was born in Connecticut, Feb-
ruary 7, 1769. He received an excellent education
in the schools of his native State. He was ac-
quainted with I. M. Singer before he invented the
sewing machine ; met him in Pittsburgh and examined
his rough model, approved, suggested some im-
provements and loaned him |lO to go ahead
with his invention, but the money was never re-
turned. Elisha afterward became a skillful and
successful teacher; understood the higher mathe-
matics and theoretical surveying. While yet a
young man he removed to Marbletown, New York,
and taught there in 1791, and later followed the
same profession at Owego in the same State. His
endorsements of qualitications and success in his
work are still kept by his grandson as family
relics. Leaving Owego, he entered the Wyoming
Settlement in Luzerne County, Penn.. and from
thence came down the Susquehanna River on an
ark, then a common craft for floating lumber and
produce down the stream to market. He located
in Fairview Township, in the vicinity of Lewis-
berry, about 1797. He brought with him many
books of science and literature, and soon afterward
engaged to teach the youths of the intelligent
(Juaker settlement. He was a man of undoubted
integrity. He married Rebecca Frankelberger, of
a prominent family in the Redland Valley. They
had ten children, viz.: Hervey, Maria, Mary, David,
William. Hannah, John, Thomas, Philip and Sarah.
Elisha Hammond died March 28, 1824, at the age of
fifty-five years. He was highly respected in the
village in which he lived. His widow survived him
until January 31, 1863, and died at the advanced
age of eighty-two years. Hervey Hammond was
born December 23, 1800; grew to manhood in his
native town; attended his father's school and that
of Isaac Kirk, the distinguished surveyor. The
youth soon became the most active pupil of the
school, and early in life followed the same profes-
sion as his father. Prom his ancestors he inherited
a thirst for study, and soon became proficient in the
ordinary branches of learning, and under his
father's private instruction, pursued advanced
studies. As early as 1835, he introduced the study
of scientific English grammar in his neighborhood.
The book used was Greenleaf's Practical Grammar.
He was also of a mathematical turn of mind, which
endowment he turned to practical account by his
invention of the famous Hammond Window Sash
Spring, which has since had an immense sale. It
was patented in 1837. and during the following
year he placed his springs in the windows of the
White House at Washington ; received a recommen-
dation for them from the noted orator, Henry Clay,
and from other distinguished persons. Mr. Ham-
mond traveled extensively wholesaling goods and
merchandise and introducing his window springs
and appointing agents for the sale of them. In
those times there were very few appliances for
window sashes, in general use, and Mr. Hammond
had to first teach the people the necessity of venti-
lating their dwellings in order to create a market or
demand for his springs. In the year 1840, the
annual sales of springs numbered 35.000. He in-
troduced many improvements into the village of
Lewisberry; was a supporter of the cause of free
education; became one of the first school directors
under the new school law, and was an active
director, present at the election of his friend



and neighbor, the Hon. Jacob Kirk, as the
first superintendent of the schools of York
County. He was married at Carlisle, Penn., Sep-
tember 15, 1825 to Katherine Ann Harman. They
had nine children, viz. ; Andrew (deceased); Ben-
nett, died of cholera at Aurora, Ind., in 1849; Caro-
line E., in Wichita, Kas. ; Delilah A., in Missouri;
Edward W., in Oregon; Rebecca R., in Cantrall,
111. ; Mary (deceased); Winfield Scott, and Ida C, in
Waynesburgh, Green Co., Penn. Mrs. Hammond
was born August 31, 1807,in Warrington Township;
was a daughter of Adam and Rachel (Diceman)
Harman, members of the Methodist Church, and
•representatives of intelligent families. She, her-
self, was possessed of a well-trained mind. She died
July 31. 1863; Hervey H. died August 37, 1855.

WINFIELD SCOTT HAMMOND, the youngest
son of Hervey Hammond, was born in Lewisberry
September 11, 1847. He attended the public schools
and studied the higher branches at home. When
quite young he acquired a fondnesss for reading,
and hence made good use of his father's library,
and such other libraries as the town afforded. In
the spring of 1865 he enlisted in Company I, One
Hundred and Ninety-second Regiment of the Penn-
sylvania Volunteers, and remained in the service
until the fall of the same year. Shortly after the
war he went to southeast Missouri, and remained
in that section about eighteen months, spending a
part of the time in a printing office as compositor
and local editor, and assisting in the United States
laijd office, which was under the charge of one of
the proprietors of the paper. While there Mr.
Hammond became intimate with the leading busi-
ness men and politicians of the county; one was
State senator, and afterward land agent for a leading
railroad in the West; another, a prominent lawyer,
pleading before the Supreme Court of the United
States; another, State treasurer of Missouri; another,
delegate from the State-at-large to the National
Democratic Convention; another, district attorney,
etc. This was under the "carpet bag" regime, and
Mr. Hammond being a "Radical" (in Missouri poli-
tics) was offered the office of county clerk in one of
the southeastern counties, which he refused and
returned home to take charge of the window-spring
business, and became owner and controller of the
popular springs, which he has manufactured and
sold with great success. He introduced some new
improvements in the construction of them, and en-
tirely changed the process of manufacture, doing
by machinery what was formerly done by hand.
He has recently invented some new styles of springs,
and is engaged in their manufacture, and has a
number of workmen in his employ. Large quanti-
ties of the springs are sold annually to wholesale
dealers. Early in life Mr. Hammond developed a
taste for painting, and now spends his leisure hours
in sketching places interesting to the scenes of his
childhood, and the picturesque ravines and hills of
the upper end of the county. Mr. Hammond is the
artist who furnished the sketch, from which we
have engraved the cut of the "Old Friends Meeting
House, "two miles east of Lewisberry; which engrav-
ingjwill be found in this work. Mr. H. is at present
secretary of the school board, and was a member of
the committee on resolutions in the late Republican
State convention. Mr. Hammond was married, in
1873, to Miss Jeannette Starr, daughter of Reuben T.
Starr, and Elizabeth (Lloyd) Starr, of Lewisberry.
They have two children, viz. : Edward and Grace.
Mrs. Hammond is a descendant of the Friends of
Chester County, her ancestors being of the cele-
brated Taylor, Sharpless, Lloyd and Starr families,
and is an active member of the Methodist Episcopal
Church. Mr. Hammond keeps himself abreast of
the times in literature, science and art, being a con-
stant reader of various periodicals, literary and art



154



NEWBERRY TOWNSHIP.



magazines, mechanical, scientific and architectural 1
journals, etc., etc., and is a book buyer. j

MORRIS M. HATS is a lineal descendant in
the fourth generation of Jesse Hays, who in 1770
immigrated to York County from Chester County,
Penn'., and purchased land one mile north of the
village of Yocumtown. Jesse Hays was of Welsh
descent. His ancestors were among the first immi-
grants to America from Wales, who located in the
northern and western parts of Chester, and most of
whom became prosperous citizens in this country.
Being a member of the Society of Friends, who, in
principle, were non-resistants, when Jesse Hays
was drafted during the Revolutionary war, his land
was sold to furnish a substitute in the army. His oc-
cupation was that of a tailor. In 1780 he married
Margery, daughter of James Mills, who built the
historic stone house, one-half mile east of Yocum-
town, known later as the "Brubaker property."
Their children were Susan, Hannah and Mills, who
in 18.51 was elected associate judge of York County.
A sketch of him will be found in the chapter on the
Bench and the Bar, in this work. Mills Hays was
married to Eve Crull. They had children as fol-
lows: John; Sidney married to William Eppley;
Mary, married to George W. Hall; Jesse, born July
24, 1818, and now living in Mechanicsburg, married
to Mary Miller; and Jane.married to Samuel P. Her-
man. John Hays, the eldest son of Judge Mills
Hays, was born October 11, 1810, in Newberry Town-
ship, where he spent his entire life, a highly respected
citizen. He served for many years as a director in j
the Dover Fire Insurance Company, and filled many
local positions of trust and responsibility. He was
married to Jane Morris, daughter of Charles Morris,
of Warrington Township, of Scotch-Irish descent.
In 1814 he marched with a company of soldiers to
the defense of Baltimore. Jane (Glass) Morris, his
mother, died in Warrington at the age of ninety-six
years. The children of John Hays are Sidney,
married to David Ort; Adacinda, married to A. B.
Kurtz; Morris Mills; Granville, married to Kate
ReifE; Crull, a soldier of the One Hundred and Six- \
ty-sixth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers dur- i
ing the Civil war, and Ninth Pennsylvania Cavalry;
Ellen; Lucetta; Servatus, married to Kate Feiser,
and now a merchant in Newberrytown, and John
Pierce, a graduate of Shippensburg State Normal
School, married to Maggie Flora of Franklin Coun-
ty. Morris M. Hays, the eldest son and third child,
was born September 13, 1841. He spent his early
days on the farm and attending the public schools;
afterward was a student in the Normal and Class-
ical School, at York, and in the Millersville
State Normal School. He taught school three suc-
cessive terms. In 1867 he was married to Emma Fisher
who died August 33, 1873. On the 20th of February,
1876, he was married to Sara M. Krone. They
have three children: Ira. Kent and Boyd. In
November, 1882, Mr. Hays was elected a member
of the legislature of Pennsylvania, and while a rep-
resentative in that body, served with great accept-
ance on the committees on labor and industry, in-
surance, military and geological survey. He now
owns a farm on which he resides, located one mile
east of Newberrytown, and is engaged in cultivat-
ing it. He is a practical surveyor, and has served
in various township offices. Mr. Hays, in the
midst of his farm and professional labors, finds
time for reading and general literary culture, and
has accumulated a library of well selected books.

LAFAYETTE M. HERMAN was born in New-
berrytown, York County, September 13, 1853, and
is the second son of William P. Herman, of Ger-
man descent, who was born in Fishing Creek Val-
ley, York County, and was the father of eight chil-
dren — two sous and six daughters— and of Jane,
daughter of Joseph McCreary,who was of Irish an-



cestry, though native born, and who, during his
life time, held the offices of supervisor, overseer of
the poor, justice of the peace, and commissioner of
the County of York, and under whose supervision
the present county alms house was built. William P.
Herman, after the death of his father, Samuel Her-
man, resided in Fishing Creek Valley, among the
friends of his mother (whose maiden name was
Jlary Prowell), until becoming of age, when he
married and removed to Newberrytown, where he re-
mained engaged in the manufacture of cigars, until
the time of hiiu death, which occurred September 35,



and two daughters, Sadie E. and Eva. L. M. Her-
man, at the time of his father's death, was fifteen
years of age, and had to support the remaining
family, consisting of a mother and two sisters. At
the age of fifteen years he left the public schools
and continued to work among the cigar factories
for two years, at the end of which time, by his own
exertions, and through the kindness of others, he
attended a select school at Goldsboro, Penn., and
was enabled to procure from W. H. Kain, county
superintendent, a provisional certificate to teach in
the common schools of the county for one year. He
applied to the directors of his township and they
granted him a school, which he taught three suc-
cessive terms. During the summer vacations he at-
tended the Cumberland Valley State Normal School
until enabled to procure a professional certificate,
j granted by county superintendent, D. G. Williams,
and up to the present writing he has taught twelve
successive years in his native township. June 10,
1883, he received from Prof. E. E. Higbee, superin-
tendent of public instruction, a permanent certifi-
cate. In politics he is a Republican, and has held
the office of township clerk for seven successive
terms. At the expiration of his seventh term he
was elected to the office of justice of the peace of
Newberry Township for the term of five years, be-
ginning on the first Monday in May, 1883. At va-
; rious times he has been committeeman, and repre-
i sented the district as delegate to county conventions.
January 1, 1883, he engaged in manufacturing
cigars. He is unmarried, and still remains at the old
homestead, with the family, which consists of his
mother and one sister, Eva— Sadie E. having died
April 14, 1884, in Urbana, Ohio. The family are
members of the Bethel, or Church of God.

ALFRED HUMMEL, was born at Hummels-
town, Dauphin Co., Penn., July 12, 1833, and is a
I son of David and Barbara (Siiirer) Hummel, na-
tives of Dauphin County, Penn., and of German de-
I scent. His great-grandfather,Hummel,came to this
j country some time in the eighteentli century, and
! located the village of Hummelstown, and laid out
I the lots and sold them (60x198 feet) at an an-
nual rent of $3.22. David and Barbara (Shirer)
Hummel reared a family of nine children— eight
sons and one daughter — of whom Alfred is the eld-
j est. Two of the sons are dead, and four of the sons
and the daughter still reside in Dauphin County.
Penn. Alfred moved to Goldsboro in 1879, where
his family followed him the following spring. In
his youth he learned the carpenter's trade with his
father, but at the age of seventeen years went to
Harrisburgh, where he worked as journeyman for
three years. He then returned to his native place
and engaged as a builder and contractor until 1869.
I He was married at Harrisburgh, Penn., January 1,
j 1854, to Harriet W. Kennedy, a native of Pennsyl-
; vania, and of German and Irish descent. They had
i nine children: William D., died July 4, 1877; Emma
L., Arthur L., Lizzie B., Winfield Scott, Calvin
F., Estella H. and two who died in infancy. Mr.
Hummel is a Lutheran, and his wife belongs to the
1 Methodist Episcopal Church. He is also a member of



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



155



the Masonic fraternity. He has held various public
■oflSces: Assessor of Derry Township, Dauphin
■County, In 1862; collector of taxes for the same
township; school director nine years; treasurer of
Dauphin County in 1868, and since coming to York
County, as school director. He is in the employ of
Isaac Frazer, as manager of the large planing-mill
at GoldsborO; and has froiu twenty-five to thirty
men under him.

ISAAC KISTER was born in December, 1833,
in Newberry Township, York County, and is the
fourth of nine children of Henry E. and Tacey
(Hart) Kister, natives of York County, and of Ger-
man descent, both deceased. The father was a



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 202 of 218)