John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 204 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 204 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


who died December 9, 1878. They had five chil-
dren: Minnie I., Lizzie L., Robert D., Carrie E.
and Annie (deceased). November 9, 1880, he mar-
ried Mrs. Matilda Groom, widow of William Groom,
and daughter of Hiram and Susan (Reeser) Prowell.

JOHN H. TROUP was born in Lewisljerry,
Penn.. in 1861, and is the second of eight children
born to Abraham andMary (Fox) Troup, the former
a native of Adams County, Penn., the latter of
Prussia. The parents are residents of Lewisberry,
where the father carries on the trade of blacksmith-
ing. John H. was brought up in the borough of
Lewisberry, where he attended the public schools
until he was twenty years old, when he went to
Lockhaven, Penn., where he studied one term. He
began the study of music at twelve years of age,
and made such rapid progress that, at the age of
seventeen, he began teaching music, and has since
made it his profession. He also sells pianos and
organs. He attended the Musical Normal School,
held at Kittanning, Penn.. with Dr. Maas and
Eugene Thayer, as instructors, for one term. He
was married. May 14, 1883, to Lizzie Swiler. They
have one child— Vernie. In politics he is a Repub-
lican. At present he has a class of 100 scholars,
and never has less than sixty.

JOHN A. WILLIS, Esq., was born in Newberry
Township, York Co., Penn., March 1, 1835. His
parents were George and Emma (Kister) Willis, of
Newberry Township, and of English and German
descent, respectively. They had six sons and six



daughters, of whom John A. was the second son.
He remained on the farm until fourteen years of
age, when he went into the lumber business. At
the age of nineteen he began working for Small.
Stair & Co., and continued with them twenty-six
years, spending seven years of that time in Clear-
field County, Penn. Since 1871 he has been in the
employ of Isaac Frazer, at Goldsboro. In 1856 he
was married, in Cumberland County, Penn., to
Caroline Crome, daughter of George Crome. She
died April 3, 1884. They had eleven children, five
of whom are living: Ida. Charles, Edwin, Latimore
and John Guy. Mrs. Willis was a member of the
Church of God. Mr. Willis has held various oflices
of trust, as borough councilman, school director,
inspector, secretary of I. O. O. F., and at present he
holds the oflSce of justice of the peace, having been
elected in the spring of 1884. He was one of the
organizers of the Goldsboro Building and Loan
Association.

GEORGE S. WOLF was born in York County,
Penn., near the Maryland line, August 5, 1831. His
parents were John and Elizabeth (Souders) Wolf, of
York County, and of German descent, who had
seven sons and five daughters— five children de-
ceased. George S. was next to the eldest child.
He remained on the farm until he was nineteen
years old, when he commenced to learn blacksmith-
ing, which he carried on for himself at the age of
twenty-five, and which he has since followed. In
his youth he attended the common schools at Golds-
boro, walking in from the country a distance of
nearly three miles. He was married, November 16,
1856, on Hill Island, Dauphin Co., Penn., to Lydia
Groom, daughter of William Groom, a mason by
trade, and of English descent. They had five chil-
dren, all of whom are dead: Carrie, Cecilia, David,
Laura and Maggie. Mr. Wolf belongs to the Church
of God, and is sexton of that church. He is a
member of the I. O. O. F. lodge, at Goldsboro, and
of the American Mechanics. He has held the of-
fice of borough councilman for two terms, that of
treasurer for three years, and chief burgesss since
1879. He was one of the organizers of the Golds-
boro Loan Associations, Nos. 1 and 2.

GEORGE D. ZEIGLER was born January 32,
1840, in Wrightsville, York Co., Penn., and is the
eldest of eleven children born to George and Susan
(Delingler) Zeigler, natives of York County, and of
German descent. When fifteen years of age he
began learning the tailoring trade, and followed it
for eighteen months; after that he worked in a
saw-mill until August 23, 1861, when he enlisted at
Wrightsville, Penn., Company I, Seventy-sixth
Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, under
Col. J. M. Powers, and was at Fort Wagner, and
also in the second attack on the same fort, where
he was wounded in the left shoulder by a piece of
shell. He was then taken to New York; thence to
Pittsburgh, Penn., where he remained until fit for
duty. He next engaged in the campaign against
Hilton Head, at Butler's Front, S. C, and Peters-
burgh, and was wounded Mav 7, 1864, in the left
arm. He was discharged July 28, 1864, and on' ac-
count of wounds received in the army, is receiving
a pension of $10 per month. April 7, 1864, he mar-
ried Elizabeth Thompson. They had thirteen chil-
dren, of whom six are living: Mary, Flora, George,
Robert, Charley and Alide. Mrs. Zeigler is a
daughter of Samuel and Sarah Thompson. Mr.
Zeigler is a Republican. He owns consideralile
property in Goldsboro, Penn., and is at present a
street commissioner.



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



159



NORTH CODORUS.



DR. W. F. BRINKMAN, a son of Henry N. and
Catherine Brinkman, of Carroll County, Md., where
our subject was born, in the village of Manchester,
May 30, 1822. After attending the public school
and the Manchester Academy he began to read
medicine with Dr. Beltz, of Manchester, and after
attending three full terms at Washington Univer-
sity, of Maryland, graduated at this institution, and
began the practice of medicine in Manchester.
After three years he removed (1849) to Jefferson,
Codorus Township. In October, 1849, Dr. Brink-
man married Sa'rah Ann Motter, daughter of
Michael and Elizabeth (Boat) Motter. Eight chil-
dren have been born to them: Rosetta, Virginia,
Sarah, Emma, Josephine, Adolf, Harman and
Horatio. Dr. Brinkman's ancestors came from
Germany. The Doctor is a member of Mount
Zion Lodge, I. O. O. P., also of the Grand Lodge
of Pennsylvania, and attends the Lutheran Church.
He is one of the leading physicians of York County;
has a large practice in Codorus and adjoining
Townships, and is one of the most influential citi-
zens of that section.

M. T. CRIST, son of John and Sarah (Thoman)
Crist, was born April 25, 1845, in Jefferson Bor-
ough. He was the fourth in a family of twelve
children; received a common school education in
his native town, and began life as a clerk in Brod-
beck's store, in Jefferson. He began business for-
himself at the early age of twenty years at Glen-
ville, then removed to North Codorus Township,
near Spring Grove, having embarked in the sad-
dlery and harness business; he then removed to his
present location. New Salem, North Codorus
Township. January 13, 1867, he married Susan
Rohrbach, daughter of Joseph and Catherine (Run-
kle) Rohrbach, of Codorus Township. Seven chil-
dren have blessed this union: Aggie S., William C,
Alice C., Lizzie, Joseph (deceased), Mollie and
John. Mr. Crist was a mercantile appraiser for
York County in 1875; has been justice of the peace
for his township, and taught school three terms.
He attends the German Reformed Church.

WESLEY GLATFELTER, recorder of deeds
for York County, is the second son of George and
Christiana Glatfelter, and was born December 7,
1848, in North Codorus Township. Mr. Glatfelter
received only a common school education, but took
advantage of every chance that was afforded him
to improve his mind by study, and he is to-day one
of the best informed men in North Codorus Town-
ship, and has taught school for seven terms in his
native township. March 12, 1874, he married
Melinda C. Rohrbach, daughter of Peter and
Elizabeth Rohrbach, and five children blessed their
marriage: Warren A., Laura I., Jennie L., Eliza-
beth A., and Annetta W. Mr. Glatfelter has held
various township offices at various times, and is
a member of the order of K. of P., also a member
of the Jeffersonian Democratic Association of York.

JOHN M. HENRY was born in York County,
September 10, 1856, to George Henry and Susanna
(Martin) Henry, also natives of York County. The
father was a carpenter, then a farmer, and about
1860, became a merchant at Stoverstown. John M.
was reared a farmer, and was educated in the district
school, and at York County Academy. In the fall
of 1877 he began teaching in North Codorus, and
has taught each consecutive term since, with the
exccDtion of that of 1880, when he was the secre-
tary "of the Seven Valley Mutual Aid Association.



December 4, 1881, he married Barbara Alice,
daughter of Samuel G. Hildebrand. Mr. Hilde-
brand was also a school teacher, then a farmer,
afterward a merchant, and is now a cigar box
manufacturer. Mr. and Mrs. Henry are members
of St. Paul's Lutheran Church, and are the parents
of one child, Robert Pattison. They own ninety
acres of land at Stoverstown and the lot on which
the church edifice stands was sold to the congrega-
tion by Mr. Henry. Daniel M. Henry, brother of
the above, was born in Stoverstown, November 2,
1860. He was reared a farmer and was educated in
the district and select schools of his native place,
and has been teaching since 1882. He is a member
of St. Paul's Lutheran Church.

DR. H. KEHM, son of Henry and Anna M.
(Swope) Kehm, was the seventh of nine children,
and was born October 10, 1848, in O.xford, Adams
Co., Penn., and was educated at Dr. M. D. G. Pfeif-
fer's ^thenia et Hygea, of Oxford. Our subject read
medicine under Dr. G. H. Jordy, and after two
courses at Jefferson Medical College, of Phila
delphia, was graduated from this institution,
March 13, 1871, and immediately began the practice
of medicine at Kralltown, York County; after
four years there he removed to Hagersville, Bucks
County, remained six years, then relurued and
located at Dover, York County; after four years at
Dover he came to his present location. The
Doctor's ancestors came from Darmstadt, Germany.

JOHN 8. KLINE, youngest of three children
of John and Eve (Schultz) Kline, was born Novem-
ber 23, 1813, in Hellam Township, where he was
reared and sent to his trade (miller) in his nine-
teenth year at Waist's Mill. He rented this mill
and began business on his own account in 1838;
taught school in North Codorus Township, two
terms. In 1834 Mr. Kline married Lydia Glatfelter,
daughter of Jacob and Lydia (Polkomer) Glatfelter,
of North Codorus Township. Four children were
born to this union: Franklin, Henrietta, Sarah and
Julia Ann. Mrs. Kline died in 1850. Mr. Kline
next married Melvina M. Raber, daughter of
Abraham and Julia Ann (Bletcher) Raber. Six
children were born to this marriage: M. Alice,
Fannie, Clementine, Ellen, John H. and Emma.
John H. is the only child yet living, born to the
last marriage. Mr. Kline was constable four years,
ten years justice of the peace, and postmaster thir-
teen years, school director and secretary of the
school board. In 1880 he was appointed enumerator
for North Codorus Township and New Salem
Borough, and at the present time, secretary of the
school board of New Salem Borough. He learned
surveying in 1839 and followed it ever since. Mr.
Kline is the oldest surveyor of York County, with
possible exception of Daniel Ettinger, of York.

DR. WILSON A. LONG, sou of Jonathan and
Sue (Boyer) Long, of Rabersburg, Centre County,
was born January 31, 1860. Dr. Long attended
school there until his tenth year, he then came to
Glen Rock to attend normal school under Prof.
Gray; he taught school three terms in Codorus
Township; then began to read medicine with Dr.
Stick, in Codorus Township, attended two courses
at College of Physicians and Surgeons in Baltimore,
and was graduated from this institution in 1883;
began the practice of medicine at New Salem,
North Codorus Township, where he is at present
located. On the 35th of March, 1883, Dr. Long
married Annie Grothey, daughter of Charles and
Annie E. (Marker) Grothey, of York, Penn. One
child has blessed their unfon — Blanche Edith. "The
Doctor took a special course on diseases of the
chest and throat and operative surgery.

DR. EDWARD STERNER, son of Jesse and
Leah (Dagen) Sterner, was born June 15, 1855, in
Codorus Township. The Doctor is the eldest child



PARADISE TOWNSHIP.



in a family of eight children. In 1875 Dr. Sterner
married Lydia Spangler, daughter of Bernard and
Susan (Asper) Spangler, of Jackson Township.
Five children have been born of this marriage:
Maggie G.. Flora (deceased), Joseph F., Edward M.
and Charles Austin. Dr. Sterner was reared on a
farm. After receiving a common school education
he began to read medicine with Drs. Jones and
Evans. The Doctor began the practice of medicine
in Jefferson, in 1880; and, although a young physi-
cian, has met with flattering success.

DR. J. J. STEWART, second of six children
of James W. and Martha L. (Campbell) Stewart.
was born March 1, 1863, in Lower Chanceford
Township. The Doctor read medicine with Dr. W.
F. Smith, of Lower Chanceford Township, and
after attending three terms at Jefferson Medical
College, of Philadelphia, was graduated from this
institution April 3, 1885, and began the practice of
his profession at the village of New Salem, about
five miles from York. Dr. Stewart's ancestors
settled early in York County, his grandparents
being natives of the county. Dr. Stewart is a hard
student, loves his profession and will make his
mark in his chosen profession.

PETER STRICKHOUSER, son of Peter and
Polly (Rennoll) Strickhouser, was born January 26,
1837, in North Codorus Township. Our subject
was the j^oungest of two children, James Kelly and
Peter. December 25, 1848, Mr. Strickhouser mar-
ried Mary Hetrick, daughter of John and Wilhelmina
(Wolfrom) Hetrick; eight children were born of this
marriage; Wilhelmina; infant, deceased; Amanda;
Fannie; Calvin; Howard; Clayton; and Edward, de-
ceased. Mr. Strickhouser was reared on his father's
farm. He held the responsible ofiice of commission-
er of York County from 1869 to 1873, with credit to
himself and entire satisfaction to the people of York
County. At present Mr.s Strickhouser is keeping
hotel at Hanover Junction. He has been school
director in his native township at various times.

ISRAEL K. ZIEGLER was born in North Co-
dorus Township, October 11, 1840, and is the son of
John E. and Barbara (Coller) Ziegler, the former
born in North Codorus, April 14, 1806, and the lat-
ter in Shrewsbury Township, January 30, 1804.
They died, respectively, November 19, 1874, and
March 35, 1883. They were the parents of five
children. Subject's grandfather, John Ziegler, was
born December 18, 1767, was married November 23,
1790, to Catherine Epley, and died July 9, 1845. He
donated the land on which Ziegler's Church now
stands, and, with his son John E., helped to build
the edifice. Our subject was married,April 27,1865,
to Ann Maria Stick, daughter of Henry Stick. To
this union have been born the following children:
William H., February 16, 1866, died August 3, 1867;
John C, born July 13, 1868; Janny M., December 16,
1869, and Edwin, May 17, 1878. Immediately after
his marriage,-Mr. Ziegler settled down to farming
on the old homestead, which comprises 300 acres,
which he now owns, and which is renowned for its
dairy and grain products. Mr. Ziegler is also owner
of 300 acres more at different places, and other val-
uable real estate in York, Seven Valleys and in
Gettysburg. Both the Ziegler and Stick families
are among the oldest and most respected of York
County, and have always been firm adherents of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church. Mr. Ziegler is now
a resident of York Borough, to which point he re-
moved in 1883, to obtain better educational facilities
for his children.

JOHN K. ZIEGLER. farmer, son of John E.
and Barbara Ziegler. was born in North Codo-
rus Township, on the farm where he now lives.
Mr. Ziegler married Elizabeth, daughter of Jesse
and Elizabeth Shaffer, of Codorus Township. This



marriage was blessed with five children: Emma J.,
John C, William (deceased), Paul and Allen. Mr.
Ziegler has been for many years a director in the
York National Bank. He is widely and favorably
known in York County, and has always been a
prominent and influential man in his section of the
county.



PARADISE TOWNSHIP.



P. S. ALWINE, son of Samuel and Mary
Shaeffer, was born November 4, 1831, in North Co-
dorus Township, and removed in 1840 to Paradise
Township. When seventeen years of age he began to
make brick, and frequently made the trip to Peach
Bottom Township where he was engaged to make
brick. When he attained his majority he began the
brick business for himself and has followed this
occupation ever since. September 20, 1860, Mr.
Alwine married Catharine Dahlhammer, daughter
of William and Sarah (Sour) Dahlhammer. Eleven
children were born to them: Emma J., Sarah E.,
Ida, Harvey, Samuel, William, Lewis H., Cora A.,
Edward R., Percy and Emery S. Mr. Alwine is
widely known in York and Adams Counties. He
taught school twelve terms in Jackson and Paradise
Townships, and is one of the best informed men in
Paradise Township. His father was a native of
Lebanon County.

A. Z. LEIB, son of Abraham and Matilda
(Zeigler) Leib, was born February 3, 1853, in Jackson
Township; was reared to farming; began to learn
his trade (saddle and harness-maker), at Davidsburg.
In 1876 he began business for himself at Baugh-
mansville. Paradise Township. December 30, 1879,
Mr. Leib married Sallie Baughman, daughter of J.
B. and Lydia (Schwartz) Baughman, of Paradise
Township. Three children have blessed this marriage :
J. B., Lydia R. and Matilda G. Mr. Leib's ances-
tors were early settlers in Paradise Township. Abra-
ham Leib died when our subject was only six years
of age. Matilda (Zeigler) Leib, the mother of our
subject, is still living. Mr. Leib is held in high
esteem by his friends and neighbors In Paradise
Township. There were eight children in Abraham
Leib's family, viz.; Emanuel, deceased; Elizabeth,
deceased; Agnes; Jesse, deceased; John, now in
Illinois; Jonas, in Adams County; A. Z. and Alice.
Mr. Leib is a member of the Paradise (Lutheran)
Church.

E. C. MASEMER, son of Jesse and Catharine
(Joseph) Masemer, was born January 18, 1854, In



years has been a resident of Paradise Township (his
father having purchased the mill property, where
our subject now resides, in 1876). Our subject
began to learn his trade with Peter Kimkel, 1873,
in Warrington Township, York County, and began
business for himself in the spririg of 1884. Febru-
ary 10, 1883, he married Ida Ramer, daughter of
Henry and Annie (Myers) Ramer, of Paradise Town-
ship. One child was born to them— Ira.

JOHN S. TRIMMER, son of Barnet and Cath-
arine (Schriver) Trimmer, was born January 13,
1812, in Paradise Township, where he now resides.
He was reared to farming, and when eighteen years
of age learned the carpenter trade, and followed it
about seven years. He then began the mercantile
business, which he followed for twenty-two years,
then retired from active business. He began busi-
ness at Big Mount forty-eight years ago (1837).



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



PEACH BOTTOM TOWNSHIP.



WILLIAM E. AILES, son of William and
Elizabeth (Black) Ailes, was born in Lancaster
County, Penn., Decembers, 1840, and was married,
December 11, 1867, to Martha Jane Carrick, daugh-
ter of Alexander Carrick, of Philadelphia, and has
had born to him nine children: Alexander C., Will-
iam B., Robert E., George M., Elizabeth H., Joseph
H., Charles M., Franklin A. and Edwin H. In the
fall of 1869 Mr. Ailes came to York County and
purchased the "Gordon property," a farm of 173
acres, and since that time he has been engaged in
agricultural pursuits. He served with the Twelfth
Pennsylvania Regiment, "Emergency" men, and
participated in the battle of Antietam, and was
drafted afterward in the One Hundred and Sixty-
sixth Pennsylvania, and served one year, mostly at
Suffolk, Va. He is a member of Corporal Baer
Post 277, G. A. R., and also a Master Mason.

EPHRAIM ARNOLD was born in Lancaster
County, Penn., November 3, 1834. His parents,
William and Julia A. (Barnett) Arnold, were natives
of that county, and of Irish extraction. They
reared a family of eight sons and two daughters,
and lost four by death in infancy. William Arnold
was for many years a slate operator, but late in life
his attention was given to mercantile pursuits. Our
subject is the fifth of the children reared to matu-
rity, and his early life was passed on a farm. After
receiving a liberal education at Chestnut Level
Academy and Millersville State Normal School he
taught several terms in the public schools. When
grown to manhood he passed several years as a
canal boatman in summer, and continued to teach
in winter. From 1862 to 1866 he was engaged as
clerk with^McConkey Brothers at Peach Bottom;
later with Rufus Wiley, same place; then with
Lewis C. Wiley, Slate Hill, and again with Rufus
Wiley. In the spring of 1873 he formed a partner-
ship with Hugh N. McConkey, and bought out L.
C. Wiley, general merchant at Slate Hill. About
one year afterward he bought out his partner's
interest and admitted James A. Towson. of Harris-
burg. In 1878 Mr. Towson sold out to his son, who
continued in the firm until 1882, having in] the
meantime removed their store to Delta. Mr. Ar-
nold married Eliza A. Patton, in Philadelphia, No-
vember 28, 1867. Mrs. Arnold is a native of York
County, and is a sister of John F. Patton, druggist,
of York. The family are of Irish origin. Mr. and
Mrs. Arnold have five children: John P., William
E., Mary L., T., Frederick and Edith R. Mr.
Arnold was a member of the first council of Delta,
was active in securing its incorporation, and has
held and acceptably filled a number of other offices
under the corporation. He was a charter member
of Esdraelon Lodge, A. F. & A. M., and has been
its secretary since its organization. He is also sec-
retary of Mount Hebron Lodge, I. O. O. F., and is
vice-president of the Delta Building and Loan Asso-
ciation.

SAMUEL JOHN BARNETT was born in Peach
Bottom Township, York County, Penn., January .5,
1846, the son of John and Catharine A. Barnett,
who came from Lancaster County in 1838. His
mother was a woman of great vigor and business
activity. She was of German descent, with an
admixture of Irish blood. His paternal grandfather
was John K. Barnett, who lived near Fairfield,
Lancaster County; his great-grandfather was Marie
Barnett, who moved from Upper Hartford County,
Md., to Ohio when that State was the "far West,"
and who is said to have lived to the age of one
hundred and ten years. The nationality of the



Barnett ancestry is involved in some obscurity,
though the original members in this country prob-
ably emigrated at an early period from the north
of Ireland. The name appears to be derived from
the Roman title "baronettus," Norman French
"baronette," English "baronet," from which comes
the English-Irish name Barnet, Barnett or Barnette.
Samuel J. Barnett was the fourth son of his
parents, his elder brothers being Martin Sylvester,
now a book publisher in St. Louis, Mo.; Sergt.
David Alva, who lost his life in defense of his
country in the war of the Rebellion while color-
sergeant of his regiment, and William James, now
a prominent farmer in Peach Bftttom Township.
Besides these there were two younger sisters, both
now dead. The subject of this sketch was reared
on a farm and trained to agriculture. When he
was six years old he lost his father, and his educa-
tion was entrusted to his mother, who struggled
hard to give all her children as good an education as
the public and private schools of the community
would afford. Samuel J. was fond of reading and
an apt student. He early developed a talent for
mathematics, and soon distanced most of his teach-
ers in that line. Later, however, his tastes led him
more into philosophical and metaphysical subjects.
Early in the year 1866 he spent a few weeks at the
Millersville State Normal School, where he almost
immediately gained recognition as an original
thinker and strong debater. His attendance at this
school was broken by terms of teaching to raise
funds. In 1869 he graduated in the elementary
course. After further teaching and study he finished
the scientific course in 1874, his only fellow-
graduate being Frank Ibach, since a teacher in
Pierce's Business College, Philadelphia. With
the exception of a few intervals he followed
the vocation of teacher from 1864 to 1884, most
of the time in the public and private schools
of his native township. In 1869, after finishing the
elementary course at Millersville, he became princi-



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 204 of 218)