John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 208 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 208 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


cuit, Perry County, Penn., remaining one year;
continued in the regular work of the ministry
until 1876, holding some of the most important
charges in Pennsylvania and Maryland the full
time; was placed on the supernumerary list in
1878; a year and a half later, on the superanuated
list. His last regular charge was Castle Fin. He
removed to his farm of ninety-five acres, two miles
south of Shrewsbury, where he now resides, and is
still a member of the conference, preaching where
he may be called, averaging about twice a month,
often in York and vicinity. In 1861 he made a war
speech in McConnellsburg, in connection with the
raising of troops, and during the war acted as vol-
unteer chaplain, visiting hospitals and battle fields.
He has always been an active temperance worker.
He was married, February 26, 1857, to Rachel Ann
Hendrix, of Shrewsbury Township, and daughter of
Isaac Hendrix, and they had seven children, of
whom five are dead: Katie, aged eighteen months;
Charles A., aged four years; Susan, aged two years;
James F., aged eighteen months, and Benjamin A.,
aged fourteen years. The two living are Annie
Rozilla and James Willis, student. Mrs. Crever is
a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, al-
though brought up in the Lutheran.

REV. EDWARD CRUMBLING, resident pas-
tor of the Evangelical Association at Glen Rock,
was born in Hellam Township, January 37, 1856,
and is the eldest of two sons of Tobias and Sarah
(Bupp) Crumbling, of Scotch and Swiss extraction.
His early life was spent in the country, and from
the age of twelve to seventeen he was engaged,
when out of school, as clerk in the mercantile busi-
ness. From the age of seventeen to twenty-two he
taught in the public schools during the winter
months. Having been educated in the public
schools he began studying with a view to the minis-
try at about the age of twenty, and at once entered
the local service. At twenty-two he entered the
active work of the ministry, uniting with the Cen-
tral Pennsylvania Conference of the Evangelical
Association, as preacher on trial. After traveling
Baltimore Circuit, Md., two years he was ordained
deacon, and returned to Alberton Station, a part of
the same circuit, where he was retained two years
more. After an experience of four years he was
ordained elder, which is the highest order in his
denomination. He was appointed to Glen Rock in
1883, and Yorkana Circuit in 1885. He was mar-
ried, March 15, 1881, at East Prospect, to Miss Ar-
villa Kise, a native of York Counly, and has two
children: Mary Edith and Annie Elva. His only
brother is also in the ministry. His parents reside
in Lower Windsor Township, aged fifty-eight and
forty-five years, respectively. He is an honorary
member of the society of Rechabites.

JOHN L. DAY, born in Shrewsbury Township,
August 4, 1817. was the eldest of a family of three
sons and two daughters of David anu Rebecca
(Low) Daj', natives of York and of English descent.



173



SHREWSBURY TOWXSHIP.



His grandfather, Matthew Day, was born ia Chester
County, Penn., and came to York County in the
latter part of the eighteenth century. John L. grew
to manhood on the farm, was educated in the
schools of his neighborhood, and has never fol-
lowed anything else but farming. At the age of
eighteen he began farming on his own account.
He was married, in September, 1847, in Shrewsbury
Township, to Susan L. Taylor, daughter of John
Taylor. He has had sis children: John Millard,
died, aged two and a half years; Sherman E., died,
aged eight months; Rebecca C, wife of Henry
NonemaTier; Otis C, Emma A. and Wilbert S. He
went to Ohio before marriage, remained one year,
returned to Pennsylvania, and after marriage re-
moved to M.iryland, where he farmed twelve years;
removed to where he now lives in 1864, and owns
forty acres of land. He is a trustee of the Method-
ist Episcopal Church at New Freedom, of which
church himself and wife are members, and he also is
a member of the I. O. O. F., at Shrewsbury. He
has one brother in Maryland and one in Ohio, and
two sisters in York County. His father died Janu-
ary 7, 1871, aged eighty years; his mother in 1839,
aged fifty years. His wife's father, John Taylor,
died November 27, 1861, aged seventy-three years,
and her mother, January 24, 1873, aged seventy-
eight years. Mrs. Day is a sister of Dr. John A.
Taylor, of Shrewsbury Township.

ADAM DIEHL, a farmer, and son of Adam
and Catherine (Shafer) Diehl, of York County, and
of German descent, was born near Hametown,
February 25, 1821, and is the third son and sixth
child in a family of eight children — four boys and
four girls. He was brought up on a farm, and at-
tended the public schools. Early he learned the
blacksmith's trade, and to do repairing of farming
implements. At the age of twenty-one he began
working for his father, and worked for him until
twenty- seven years of age. His father died in 1848,
aged sixty-two years, and his mother died aged
eighty-two years. November 26. 1846, he was
married at York, to Annie Tyson, of York .County,
and of English descent, who died in 1882, leaving
eight children, one of whom died. The living are
Isabel. Agnes, Harrison, Emma, Adam, Alexander
and Ezra. Mr. Diehl is a member of the Lutheran
Church, and has donated a good deal of money to
all churches. He is a director of the Shrewsbury
Bank, and has been for eight or nine years. The
farm on which he resides contains about 15.'5 acres,
and has been brought to the highest point of culti-
vation by his untiring energy.

SAMUEL K. DIEHL, son of Isaac and Rose
Ann (Klinefelter) Diehl, of York County, was born
in Shrewsbury, December 24, 1848, and was the sec-
ond of ten children. He remained on the farm
until twenty-one years of age, attending in the
meantime the public schools, and in his twentieth
year he taught school two terms. At the age of
twenty-one years he entered the mercantile house
of J. S. Seitz, at Hametown and Seitzland, as clerk,
and until 1875 he clerked for different firms at
Hametown and Seitzland. In 1875 he went into
business at Seitzland with Henry A. Young, having
purchased the interest of Mr. Seitz. In 1878 Mr.
Young retired, selling out to an elder brother of
our subject, of Nebraska, the business being then
conducted by S. K. Diehl & Bro., dealers in general
merchandise, phosphates, etc. He was married in
Shrewsbury in 1872, to Rosa Hildebrand, of Hope-
well Township, Penn., of German descent, and has
six children: Charles Schuyler, Isaac Palmer, Ma-
bel Ella. Mary Naomi, Minnie Estella and an
infant. The family are members of the Evangel-
ical Lutheran Church. Mr. Diehl was inspector of
elections in 1880. In 1882-83 he enga.ged in the
manufacture of cigars with Seilz & Co., Seitzland.



REV. ALFRED FRANKLIN DREISBACH, A.
B., resident pastor of the Reformed Church, at
Shrewsbury, was born in Northampton County,
Penn., September 8, 1851. His parents were Jacob
and Matilda (Gormanton) Dreisbach, of Pennsylva-
nia, and of German and French descent. They had
a family of eight children — three sons and one
daughter (of whom Rev. Alfred is the youngest) now
living. Of the parents, the mother died in 1861, at
the age of forty-nine years, while his father is still
residing at his native place. The primary educa-
tion of our subject was received at the public
schools, but at the age of sixteen years he went to
Easton Collegiate Institute, where he remained
nine or ten terms. He studied the languages under
Rev. Dr. E. W. Reinecke, of Nazareth, Penn., for
two years, and also taught school for six terms. At
the a.ge of twenty-one he entered Franklin & Mar-
shall College at Lancaster, Penn. , and graduated
in 1877 as A. B. He at once entered the theological
seminary at Lancaster, from which he graduated in
May, 1880, and in August he was called to his pres-
ent charge, and was ordained as soon as called.
June 29, 1880, he was married at Lancaster, Penn.,
to Mary E. HoSmeier, daughter of William M.
Hoffmeier, of Lancaster, and of German and Scotch-
Irish descent. He reorganized a neglected congre-
gation at New Freedom, and built a church and
parsonage at Shrewsbury. At present he preaches-
at Shrewsbury; at St. Peter's, in Springfield Town-
ship; at Jerusalem, in Shrewsbury Township; and at
Bethlehem in Codorus Township, and at New Free-
dom. ''

DAVID C. EBERHART, D. D. S., was born in
Mercer County, Penn., November 19, 1826. His
parents, Abraham and Esther (Ammond) Eberhart,
were natives of Pennsylvania and of German de-
scent. Paulus Eberhart, the progenitor of the Eber-
hart family in America, came from Wurtemburg,
Germany, in 1744, the original seat of the Eber-
harts (who were reigning dukes for over 300 years),
and settled in Baltimore County, Md. It appears
from tradition his oldest son Paul was born on the
ocean. He settled the manor in Westmoreland,
Penn., where the grandfather and father of the
subject of this sketch were born, and where a num-
ber of the old members of the family are buried.
Sergeant Lawrence Eberhart, of Frederick County,
Md , one of the family, distinguished himself in one
of the engagements with the British, in South Car-
olina, during the Revolutionary war, by rushing to
the rescue of Col. Washington, who was beset by a
British officer and some dozen dragoons, and hand-
ing the colonel his sword, thus enabling that officer
to cut his way out [see Romances of the Revolu-
tion. byBunce]. He died in Frederick in 1840,
aged ninety-five years. Abraham, the father, died
at Chicago Lawn, 111., in 1880, aged eighty-four
years, where the mother is living at this writing
(1884) aged eighty-four years. David C. Is the third
son of a family of seven sons and three daughters;
grew to manhood on a farm in Mercer and Venango
Counties; received an academic education, and at
the age of twenty-one began the study of dental
surgery; also studied medicine awhile at Middlesex,
Penn., and at Warren, Ohio, and practiced that
profession at New Bedford, Penn., a few months.
In 1850 he went to Baltimore, Md., where he prac-
ticetl dentistry for two years, studying theology in
the meantime, and was licensed to preach in the
Methodist Episcopal Church, and assigned to
Shrewsbury Circuit. His health failing, he aban-
doned the itinerant ministry, and resumed the prac-
tice of dental surgery, preaching only occasionally.
He was appointed chaplain of the Eighty-seventh
Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, in February,
1863; was captured at Winchester, Va., June 15,
1863; taken to Castle Thunder, transferred to Libby



13L0G11APHICAL SKETCHES.



173



Prison, released and rejoined his regiment Octo-
ber 7, 1863, and was mustered out in October, 1864,
and resumed the practice of dental surgery at
Shrewsbury. He was married, in 1854, at Shrews-
bury, to Mary E. daughter of Dr. James Gerry, and had
born to him five children, two of whom are now
living: James Gerry, a distinguished minister in the
Methodist Episcopal Church, in Illinois, and Zelia C.
His wife died in 1867, aged thirty-two years. He was
next married, in 1872, at Shrewsbury, to Wanetta I,
daughter of William D. Benton, of Maryland, and
they have had two children; Winona S. and David
Cleon. Dr. Eberhart is Past Master.and now sec-
retary, of the Masonic Lodge at Shrewsbury; is
chaplain of Post No. 343, G. A. R. ; was justice of
the peace from 1874 to May, 1884; school director
four terms; chief burgess in 1876. He is an active
Sunday-school worker, having been superintendent
of a Sunday-school for twenty years.

SAMUEL D. EHRHART, son of Henry and
Julia A. (Diehl) Ehrhart, of York County, was born
Marcli 30, 18.58, and is the fifth of seven children.
His ancestors came to America before the Revolu-
tion. He was brought up in Shrewsbury Township,
and educated at the district schools, and was two
sessions at Glen Rock, teaching one year in Shrews-
bury Township. When seventeen years of age he
began huckstering in York, and continued it
two years, and then engaged in the butchering busi-
ness 'in Shrewsbury, which he carried on for two
years; he also engaged in the horse business (sale
and exchange), in which latter business he is still
engaged, selling about one car-load per week. In
_„ ■ • • Till! "'



February, 1879. he was married to
daughter of George Blosser, of Shrewsbury, and
has'three children; Erastus, Lester and Hannon.
Mr. Ehrhart is a member of the I. O. O. F. Mount
Vernon Lodge, No.US, K.of P., and Friendly Circle
No. 387 of Glen Rock. The family are members of
the Lutheran Church.

GEORGE P. EVERHART, merchant, and a na-
tive of Manchester, Md., was born March 11,
1840. His parents, George and Catherine (Shower)
Everhart, were natives of Maryland, and of German
descent. Their ancestor, Paulus Everhart, came to
America in 1744, and settled in Germantown, going
to Maryland in 1753, to what was then Baltimore
County, Bachman's Valley. His son George, a
farmer, remained in that portion which was con-
verted into Carroll County. He had four sons:
George, Jacob, John and David, and five daughters.
George, the father of the subject of this sketch, was
born in 1800, and is still living at Manchester, Md.
He had a family of five sons and six daughters, of
whom George P. is the third son. He was educated
at the Manchester Academy, and trained for the mer-
cantile business by his father. In 1864 he began
business at New Oxford, Penn., but soon returned
to Manchester, where he clerked in his father's
store until 1866, when he removed to Shrewsbury
and engaged in the mercantile business until March,
1872, when he removed to Shrewsbury Station, in
the same count}', where he formed a partnership
with Messrs.Kolter & Young.under the firm name of
G. P. Everhart & Co. In October, 1878, Kolter &
Young retired, and from that time Mr. Everhart
has conducted the business alone. He is also en-
gaged in the forwarding business, owning a line of
cars, handles produce, railroad ties, lumber, coal,
phosphates, etc. In 1866 he was married at Ab-
bottstown, Penn., to Mary E. Hauer, daughter of
Rev. D. J. Hauer, and had three children, only one
of whom is now living. He was one of the or-
ganizers of the Shrewsbury Station, and Shrews-
bury Turnpike Company; has been president of the
Shrewsbury Savings Institution since 1876; is ex-
press agent, railroad agent and postmaster at Rail
Road; he was also postmaster at Manchester from



1861 to 1864. In 1873 he was elected auditor of
Rail Road Borough; in 1874, chief burgess; in 1876,
one of the borough council, and again in 1883. Mr.
E. is a member of the Reformed Church of Shrews-
bury. He is a Master Mason, and Past Master of
Shrewsbury Lodge No. 433, of which he was one of
the charter members.

ISAAC K. POLCKEMMER, stonecutter, was
born in Shrewsbury, February 9, 1847. His father,
Jacob, died in 1871, and his mother, Susan (Boyer),
in 1864. Both were of German descent. They had
a family of nine children, four sons and five daugh-
ters. Isaac K. was educated at the public schools,
and from fourteen to seventeen years of age carried
the United States mail between Shrewsbury and
Rail Road. When seventeen years of age be be-
gan to learn the trade of stone-cutter at London,
Ohio, where he remained three years, and then re-
turned to Pennsylvania. He then worked one year
at Philadelphia, and about three months at Y'ork.
In 1869 he went to Harrisburgh, where he worked
five years at his trade. He then came back to Shrews-
bury, and in 1875 bought out his employer, and has
since then managed tlie business for himself. In
1873 lie was married, at Shrewsbury, to Mary S.
Klinefelter, daughter of Joseph Klinefelter, and has
two children; Joseph and Clarence. Mr. Folckem-
mer is a member of the lodge of I. O. O. F. and
Encampment ; was in the council, and is a school
director.

JOSEPH S. FREELAND, farmer, was born in
Baltimore County, Md., August 15. 1851. His par-
ents were Caleb and Sarah A. (Hendrix) Freeland, of
Maryland and Pennsylvania, respectively, and of
Scotch and German descent. They had two children,
a son and a daughter. Like his ancestors, Joseph S.
was brought up a farmer. He was educated at Me-
chanicsburgh, Penn., and taught school for a while.
In 1867 he and his parents left Baltimore County
for York County, and since that time he has lived
upon a farm, which, for generations back, belonged
to his ancestors. In 1873 he was married, in Balti-
more County, to Edith Mackay, daughter of R. G.
Mackay, of Pennsylvania, and of Irish-Scotch de-
scent. They have four children: Helen, Clarence,
Maud and Agnes. The family belong to the Method-
ist Protestant Church, although Mrs. Freeland was
brought up in the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Free-
land was school director two terms, was a director
for three years of the Shrewsbury Savings Institu-
tion, and is treasurer and one of the organizers of
the New Freedom Cemetery Association.

PROF. WILLIAM J. FULTON was born near
Delta, York County, November 5, 1860. His par-
ents, John J. and Sarah Ann (Heaps) Fulton, were
natives of Pennsylvania and Maryland, and of
Scotch-Irish descent, respectively. He was brought
up on a farm, but spent most of his time at school.
From the public schools he went to York Collegiate
Institute, from which he graduated in 188 ). He
then entered Lafayette College, at Easton, Penn.,
and graduated in 1883, receiving the degree of A. B.
He then commenced the study of law under ex-
Judge Robert J. Fisher, of York. He was appoint-
ed principal of Shrewsbury English and Classical
Academy March 5, 1883. He was married, June 38,
1883, at Easton, Penn., to Margaret Neigh, daugh-
ter of George P. Neigh, Esq., of Easton. He was
admitted to the Y'ork, Penn.. bar August 25, 1884,
and while retaining the principalship of the acad-
emy, is, at the same time, actively engaged in the
practice of law.

MARTIN GABLE was" born June 9, 1824, in
Darmstadt, Germany, and came to Americain 1844.
Landing at New York, he soon removed to Balti-
more, where he learned shoe-making, at which he
worked twelve years. He was educated in Ger-
many, and followed farming. Two brothers fol



SHREWSBURY TOWNSHIP.



lowed him to America. His parents, Jost and Eliz-
abeth (Brodrecht) Gable, died before he left Ger-
many. He was married, in Baltimore, in 1849, to
Miss Catharine ■ Kettering, a native of that city.
She died in 1870, leaving one daughter, Fannie, now
the wife of Joseph A. Klinefelter. Another child,
Catharine, died in infancy. He removed to York
County, and has lived about Shrewsbury ever since
18.56; came to Rail Road in 1877. He followed shoe-
making five years in York County, and huckstering
about ten years; was collector for several years, and
since 1877 has kept the toll-gate at Rail Road. He
is a member of the Lutheran Church, as was also
his wife. He earned his property by his own in-
dustry.

JOHN H. GANTZ, born in York County, March
29, 1820, is the fourth child and eldest son in a
family of three sons and five daughters of John and
Barbara (Hosier) Gantz. He was reared on a farm,
and acquired a fair German and English education.
He was married in 1841, in Shrewsbury Township,
to Miss Lydia, a daughter of John Miller, and a na-
tive of York County. His wife died in 18.50, having
had three children; one, Margaret Ann. died at the
age of five years, the two living are John W. and
Susanna, wife of Adam Eighner. He was next
married, October 5, 1851, to Mrs. Lucinda (Ker-
linger) Ziegler. They have had five children — two
have died: Ellen, aged three years, and Balinda,
aged thirteen years. The three living are Eliza Ann,
wife of L. R. Lentz; Alice, wife of George Bollinger,
and Amelia, wife of Henry Allison. Mr. Gantz
served his country in the nine months' service, en-
tering the army in 1862, and participated in numer-
ous'skiiTuishes. He is a member of Post No. 342,
G. A. R., at Shrewsbury. He is connected with the
Lutheran Church, and his wife with the Reformed
Church. He is a Republican and a hard working
farmer, having acquired his property by his own
labor.

ELBRIDGE HOFFMAN GERRY, A. B., M. D.,
was born in Shrewsbury, October 18, 1836, and is the
eldest son of Dr. James Gerry, of Scotch-Irish and
German descent. He was brought up in his father's
drug store, and educated at the public and private
schools, and at the academy at Shrewsbury. In the
winter of 1858 he entered Dickinson College, at
Carlisle, Penn., and graduated in 1861, as A. B.
Returning to Shrewsbury he taught school for two
years, public school in winter and select school in
summer. In the fall of 1865 he attended the Uni-
versity of Maryland, at Baltimore, and graduated in
the spring of 1867, as M.D. Until 1870 he practiced
medicine with his father, but in that year he formed
a partnership with his brother James, and they
bought their father's drug store; since then he has
followed his profession in connection with the drug
business. In September, 1868, he was married, at
Baltimore, Md., to Miss Scarborough, daughter of
Ezekiel Scarborough. This lady died in February,
1871. Their only child, Sarah Salome, died also,
aged twenty months. November 10, 1874, he
was married, at Shrewsbury, to. Miss Arabella,
daughter of William McAbee, and had born to him
four children, three of whom are yet living: El-
bridge Beck, James John and David McA. The
family are members of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, to which also his first wife belonged. He
is a very prominent member of the church and
Sabbath-school— steward in the former and super-
intendent in the latter. In 1880 he was lay repre-
sentative at Altoona, and in 1884 at Williamsport.
He is a prominent Mason and K. T. and P. M.
of Blue Lodge. In the borough he has held various
oflices of trust; being an active Democrat, he has
been sent as delegate to State and county conven-
tions. In 1878 he was appointed surgeon of the
Northern Central Railroad.



JAMES GERRY, M. D., a physician of Shrews-
bury, York County, was born February 4, 1839, and
is the second son of James and Salome (Hoffman)
Gerry, natives of Maryland, and of Scotch-Irish andl
German descent. James Gerry, the grandfather,
came from Scotland in the eighteenth century, andl
located in Maryland, where at one time he was a.
member of the Maryland General Assembly from
Cecil County. He followed farming, and was also
a kind of a local lawyer. The subject of this sketch
was brought up in Shrewsbury, where he learned
the drug business with his father. His earlier edu-
cation he received at the public schools, and at the
Shrewsbury Academy. Being induced by his father-
to study the practice of medicine, he entered Dick-
enson College, at Carlisle, Penn., when twenty
years old, but at the breaking out of the late war he
left that college as a junior, and entered Jefifersoni
Medical College, at Philadelphia, graduating in the
spring of 1863 as M. D. He also took a course of
operative surgery under Dr. Agnew. After finish-
ing his studies he came to Shrewsbury, where he at
once commenced to practice medicine in connection
with the drug business. In January, 1876, he was
maiTied, at Weisburg, Md., to Miss Hunter, daugh-
ter of Pleasant Hunter, of Maryland; they have one
child— Carroll. Dr. Gerry is a prominent Mason of
the Knight Templar de.gree, and is also a member
of Consistory S. P. R. S., Thirty -second degree, as-
well as a Past Master of Shrewsbury Lodge. For
six years he has held the position of president of the
school board. He is quite a successful physician,
especially in the treatment of Bright's Disease,
and is surgeon for the Northern Central Railroad
Company.

CHRISTIAN GORE, born in Baltimore County,
Md., October 23, 1818, and died at New Freedom,
June 5, 1878, was the eldest of three sons of Charles-
and Mary (Price) Gore, of German and English de-
scent, respectively. He was educated at Middle-
town, Md., and up to about thirty years of age, he
taught school. He was married, April 4, 1850, at
Baltimore, to Hester Ann Shamberger, daughter of
Jacob and Hester (Souder) Shamberger, natives of
Pennsylvania and of German descent. They had
eight children, Millard S. (deceased), Mary, Jane,
Edwin (deceased), Upton H., Harvey (deceased),
George W. and Alverta. Mr. Gore has held the-
positions of commissioner, treasurer and assessor of
Baltimore Coimty. In the spring of 1871, he re-
moved to York County, where be located in York
Borough, but after a year removed to Glen Rock
Borough, where, in company with Hashour & Fal-
len, he engaged in the planing-mill and lumber-



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 208 of 218)