John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 209 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 209 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


business, which was burned in 1876, causing a great
loss. The mill was rebuilt, and Mr. Gore
retired from business in 1878, and removed
to New Freedom, where he died soon after. In
1850 he was engaged for six years at Hoffmans-
ville, in the mercantile business and the manufac-
ture of paper one year, and farmed about twelve
years in Baltimore County. The family are leading-
members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, o'f
which Mr. Gore was a class leader. Since the
death of Mr. G., Mrs. Gore and her two sons have
successfully conducted a mercantile establishment
at New Freedom.

JAMES N. GROVE, youngest son of John and
Elizabeth (Moore) Grove, of York County, Penn.,
was born in Shrewsbury, March 26, 1887. His par-
ents were of German and Irish descent respectively,
and had a family of six sons and five daughters-
Until his fifteenth year he remained on his father's-
farm, but at that age he began learning the trade of
millwright with Robert Koller, near Shrewsbury,
which trade he has followed .since. He built the
Spring Grove Paper-mill and two for Hoffman &•
Sons, in Maryland. During his life he has built five-



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



17£



or six paper-mills, and from fifteen to twenty saw-
mills. In 1861 he enlisted at York in Company D,
Eighty -seventh Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers,
was ranked as corporal and was discharged in 1864
as sergeant. During his service he participated in
many a hard fought battle; at Winchester, Va., he
was captured and for twenty-four days was con-
fined at Libby Prison ajid Belle Island. He also
took part in the battles of the Wilderness. Spottsyl-
vania. Cold Harbor, near Winchester, and many
other battles and skirmishes. After leaving the
service he returned to Shrewsbury, where he en-

faged at his trade. In 1865 he was married, at New
'reedom, to Annie Singer, daughter of Charles
Singer, and has six children: Luella, Charles
Henry, William Emery, James F. , Edward and
Gertrude. Mr. Grove is a member of the Reformed
Church and his wife of the Evangelical Church.
He is a Mason, a prominent citizen, and holds and
has held various offices of the borough. At present
he is repairing a paper mill at Woodbine, Md., for
Capt. Tollun, who was Confederate ofl3cer of the
day at Winchester on the day Mr. G. was captured.
JOHN L. HAILER was born in Wittenberg,
Germany, March 30, 1822, and came to America
February 9, 1852, landing at Baltimore. Md. His
parents, John and Annie Mary (Stable) Hailer had
three children, of whom John was the second, and
the only one that came to America. He went at
once to York, began work shoe-making, continuing
for one year, and then removed to Shrewsbury,
where he remained three years. Returning to York
again, he remained there one year. In 18B6 he re-
turned to Shrewsbury, where he resided until 1865,
working at shoe-making. He then purchased a
farm near the Maryland line, on which he built a
residence, where he has since resided, carrying on
his trade. September 29, 1854, he was married, at
Shrewsbury, to Elizabeth Reuter, widow of John
Renter, and has had eight children born to him:
Mary Ann, John H., Catharine, Lizzie, Annie,
Mary (deceased), Charles (deceased) and George
(deceased). The family are members of the Evan-
gelical Lutheran Church. Mr. Hailer is a Granger,
was inspector of elections at New Freedom, mem-
ber of the council, and, in 1882, assessor for the
borough; he was also deacon and elder of the Evan-
gelical Lutheran Church at New Freedom, and
has several times been elected delegate to the York
County convention.

WILLIAM HBATHCOTE was born in Che-
shire, England, January 31, 1806, was the eighth in
a family of ten children— seven sons and three
daughters— of John and Alice (Neill) Heathcote; his
brother John, who died in 1884, aged ninety-three
years, resided in Knox County, Ohio. William is
the only member of the family now living. He
grew up in a cotton factory and received the rudi-
ments of an education principally in the Sunday-
schools; came to America in 1826, stopped In Ches-
ter, Penn., about a year; removed to Brandywiue,
Chester County, and with his brother John operated
a woolen factory six years, when his brother moved
West; in 1837 he went to Ohio with a view to settle-
ment; returning on horseback his road led him to
the hills where he first saw the site now occupied by
Glen Rock, where Simon Koller had erected a
dwelling and saw-mill. Mr. Heathcote bought the
whole plan and, in 1840, when the Baltimore and
Susquehanna Railroad was opened through, laid
out Heathcote Station, which, in after years, when
a postoffice was established, he named' Glen Rock,
a name suggested to him by reading Walter Scott's
works. He erected a woolen factory and operated
it until 1855, then sold it to Philip Shaeffer, who
converted it into a grist-mill, now known as Glen
Rock Mills, and owned by G. F: Seitz since 1881;
then built another factory, higher up the Codorus,



which has been operated by his sons since; in 1861
erected the building now occupied by the Ceutreville
Rope & Cordage Company, and operated it as a mill
seven or eight years; in 1881 he began the boot and
shoe manufactory now managed by his sons; re-
tired from active business about 1870; was a charter
member and aome years a director of the First
National Bank of Glen Rock, and also of the Glen
Rock Foundry and Machine Shops. He was mar-
ried, in 1839, to Sarah Koller, a native of Glen
Rock, and they had five children, only one of whom,
Lewin K, is now living, two died in childhood, one
daughter died after marriage, and one son died at
manhood. In 1848 he was married at Lancaster,
Penn., to Catharine Allison, a native of Glen Rock,
and they have four children: Lewis, Granville,
Alice, wife of Rev. J. C. Koller, of Hanover, and
Willie T. ; all members of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church. Mr. Heathcote was brought up in the
Church of England.

GEORGE W. HEINDEL, farmer and stock
raiser, was born in York Township, York .County,
March 1, 1834. His parents, George and Leah
(Winehold)Heindel, were natives of York County,
and of German descent. They had a family of ten
children, of whom nine are living. George W. was
brought up on the farm, in which he retained an
interest, attending the common schools. At the
age of twenty-two he began business as a stock
dealer. He removed to Ohio, and in Mahoning
County he lived nineteen years, farming, stock
dealing and coal mining. In 1858 he was married,
at Lima, Ohio, to Lucy Anna Warner, of Mahoning
County, and had six children: William A., Erasius
E. (deceased), Cornelius M., Alice, Sidney (de-
ceased) and Charles H. Both he and wife are mem-
bers of the German Reformed Church. In 1875 he
returned to Glen Rock, and for five years owned
and ran the Cold Spring Hotel; he then turned his
attention to farming and stock raising. He owns a
farmof ninety-five acres, adjoining the town. Mr.
Heindel was one of the organizers and is now a di-
rector of the Glen Rock Manufacturing Company,
and was one term in the council. His father still
lives at the age of seventy-seven.

FREDERICK HELB, a native of Wittenberg.
Germany, and only son of Ulrich and Mary (Keim)
Helb, was born March 9, 1825, and immigrated to
America in 1847, landing at Baltimore, where, for
two years, he was engaged at tanning, which trade
he had learned in his native country. His German
education was good, and he soon mastered the En-
glish language. In 1849 he came to Shrewsbury,
where he established a small tannery, on a very
primitive style, using hogsheads for vats, but in-
creasing the capacity until he was able to handle
7,000 hides a year. In 1867 he built a beer brewery
at Shrewsbury Station, with a capacity of 800 bar-
rels per year, and three years later started a fruit
distillery, manufacturing 500 barrels of apple bran-
dy in a season. He also owns an extensive flour-'
mill (steam and water), the Jackson House (the only
hotel in the borough), and a number of first-class
tenement houses. He also owns about 450 acres of
fine farming land in York County, and about 1,300
acres of valuable timber and farming land in Mary-
land, with saw and stave-mills. He is president of
the Rail Road and Shrewsbury Turnpike Company,
and a director in the Shrewsbury Savings Bank; was
one of the incorporators of Rail Road Borough, and
its first chief burgess. In 1849 he was married to
Miss Rebecca Henry, of York County, who has been
a true and faithful helpmate to him. They have
six children: Theodore R. (brewer), Edward, J. P.,
Julius, Frederick, Lydia and Mary, all of them
highly educated and accomplished. The family be-
long to the Lutheran Church.

EDWARD HELB was born at Rail Road, Shrews-



176



SHKEWSBURY TOWNSHIP.



bury Township, April 29, 1854. and is a son of
Frederick Helb. He was educated in the district
schools of his neighborhood and in the Shrewsbury-
Academy, and graduated from Knapp's Institute,
Baltimore, in June. 1871. In the fall of the same
year he began learning his trade in the tannery of
his father, at Rail Road, and is at present following
the business there. In 1875 he united with Shrews-
bury Lodge No. 423, A. F. & A. M. ; has passed all
the chairs in Mount Vernon Lodge No. 143, I. O.
0. F., at Shrewsbury; is a member of Mount Ver-
non Encampment No. 14, I. O. O. F., of York, and
of Friendly Lodge No. 287. K. of P., of Glen
Rock. He was married, July 8. 1879, to Jennie I.,
sixth daughter of Daniel and Sarah Rishel, respect-
ed residents of Troutville. Clearfield Co., Penn.
They are both active members of the Lutheran
Church at Shrewsbury. He has been secretary of
the church council since 18S1, and is also secretary
of the Shrewsbury District Sunday-school Institute,
and has been superintendent of the Lutheran Sab-
bath-school at Shrewsbury. He served as town
auditor for several years; was secretary of the town
council, and is at present secretary of the school
board of Rail Road Borough. In the spring of 1882
he was elected justice of the peace on the Demo-
cratic ticket, and has several times represented the
town in ihe Democratic county convention.

JAMES H. HENDRIX was born in Shrewsbury
Township, October 31, 1838. His parents were
Joshua H. and Susan (Klinefelter) Hendrix, of York
County. His great-grandfather Hendrix, settled
in Beaver County, Penn. There were but two chil-
dren in the family, one sister having died while
quite yountj. James H. was reared in Shrewsbury
Village and attended the common schools. He
learned the plasterer's trade while yet young, and
followed it for five years. In August, 1861, he en-
listed at Shrewsbury, and was appointed duty
sergeant of Company'!), Eighty-seventh Regiment,
Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served three years,
participating in the following battles: Cold Harbor,
Wilderness and with Grant's army at Petersburg.
He was with Sheridan at Winchester and Stras-
burgh; for three months was in the hospital. Re-
turning from the war, he engaged in railroading;
first with the Northern Central Railroad one year,
then clerking in McDowell's store for tliree years.
In 1868 he went to Illinois for four months, but re-
turned to Shrewsbury; in 1869, he was appointed
postmaster at Shrewsbury, which position he held
up to January 22, 1874; was re-appointed postmas-
ter December 3, 1874, and still holds the position
(June 20, 1885). In 1869 he had engaged in mercan-
t;le business, which he is running in conjunction
with the postotfice, and to this he has devoted his
entire attention. In 1860 he was married to Ange-
line Sechrist, daughter of Abraham Sechrist, of
Shrewsbury. They have one child — Eudora. His
wife dying in 1865, he married, in 1873, in Fawn
Township, Priscilla Davis, daughter of John W.
Davis. Their only child died in infancy. Mr. and
Mrs. Hendrix are members of the Methodist Epis-
copal Church, of which he is trustee and recording
steward; he is also an Odd Fellow, member of the
Encampment, and commander of Post 343, G. A.R.,
at Shrewsbury.

WILLIAM HERBST was born in Hopewell
Township. August 15, 1817. His parents, David and
Mary (Miller) Herbst, were natives of Amsterdam,
Holland, and Y'ork County, respectively. They
had three sons and two daughters. William, who
was the eldest, helped his father on the farm until
twenty years of age, attending the county schools
about six months. He then spent four years at
milling in Glen Rock Valley. In 1843 he began
business for himself at Glen Rock, engaged in mer-
chandising, which he continued for nine years, and



then engaged in farming for ten years. Returning
to Glen Rock, he again engaged in the merchandise
business. In 1841 he was married to Mary Shafer,
daughter of Philip Shafer. of Shrewsbury Town-
ship. They have three children: Eliza, Jacob and
William H. Mrs. Herbst died in 1844, and in 1850,
Mr. Herbst was married (again at Glen Rock) to
Alice Heathcote (daughter of Mark Heathcote), a
native of England, by whom he has three children:
Mary Alice. Emma Jane, and Millie. Both parents
are members of the Evangelical Church. Mr. Herbst
is a director and one of the organizers of the
Glen Rock Manufacturing Company, was treasurer
and president of the First National Bank of Glen
Rock, and for twelve years a school director.

LEVI W. HERSHEY, born in Shrewsbury
Township August 31, 1845, is the eldest son of
Christian and Margaret (Wehrlej') Hershey, of
German descent, being about the sixth generation
in America. He has always lived on a farm, began
teaching at the age of twenty-two, and has taught
every winter except four up to 1884. Has served as
inspector of elections, township clerk, assessor and
judge of elections; has been secretary of the new
Freedom Building and Loan Association for two
years, and secretary of the Codorus and Manheim
Fire Insurance Company since January 1, 1884; was
Master of the P. of H. one year, and secretary
five or six years, and is a member of Mt. Ver-
non Lodge No. 143, I. O. O. F., of Shrewsbury.
At the last election he was elected justice of the
peace and school director, and is now secretary of
the school board. He is also chancellor commander
of Freedom Lodge No. 85, K. of P., of New Free-
dom. He was married. December 3, 1868, to Mary
Jane Sheffer, and they have six children: AUie
Jane, Lillie Virginia, Bertie Agnes, Nettie May,
Arthur Lee and Iva Grace. He belongs to the
Reformed, and his wife to the Lutheran Church.
He owns a farm of thirty-eight acres, and has been
engaged in the dairy business since 1883.

JEREMIAH S. HETRICK, M. D., son of
Samuel and Louisa (Smith Hetrick, of York County,
was born in Codorus Township, December 28. 1849,
and was the second of a family of five children —
two sons and three daughters. The parents were
of German and English descent, and first settled in
Codorus Township. The Doctor was brought up in
a woolen factory, and educated at the common
schools, and a course at the State Normal School at
Millersville. In 1869 he taught school one year,
and in 1971 he began reading medicine in the oflJce
of Dr. E. W. Free at New Freedom, and in 1872 he
entered Washington University, now College of
Physicians and Surgeons at Baltimore, and gradu-
ated in 1873 as M. D. He then spent one year as
assistant resident physician in Washington Univer-
sity Hospital, and in the spring of 1874 he removed
to New Freedom, where he became associated with
his old preceptor until 1877, when he began the
practice alone. His father was killed by a railroad
train at Glen Rock in 1879, at the age of sixty-five
years, and his mother still lives at New Freedom.
May 13, 1875, the Doctor was married to Charlotte
Wilson, of Maryland, and has four children: Ger-
trude F., Walter H., Fannie and Lorilla. He is a
member of the Evangelical Association; was chief
burgess in 1880-81-82, and a member of the council
three years; is also a school director, president of
the Cemetery Association, and one of the organizers
of it; also one of the organizers of the New Free-
dom Literary Association; is a stockliolder in the
Stewartstown Railroad; was class-leader in his
church a number of years, and a very prominent,
influential citizen and popular physician.

BARTHABAS E. HINES, born in Hano-
ver, October 20. 1842, is the only son of John and
Sarah (Bart) Hines, natives of Maryland and Penn-



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



177



sylvania, and of French and German
attended the public schools of Hanover, and at the
age of sixteen began cigar-making, which he has
since followed, with the exception of about one year
as clerk in a store in Cincinnati, and one year at
Westminster, Md.; went to Glen Rock in 1867;
was married in May, 1868, to Agnes A. Decker, of
Shrewsbury Township, and of German descent;
has been deputy postmaster at Glen Rock since
1869; was borough councilman three terms, and
chief burgess one term; was one of the original
stockholders of the Glen Rock Manufacturing Com-
pany, and since 1877 has been engaged in the manu-
facture and sale, at wholesale and retail, of cigars;
enlisted at Hanover in Company I, Twenty-sixth
Pennsylvania Militia, for the emergency during
Lee's invasion, his regiment really opening the bat-
tle of Gettysburg (see Batcheldor's History).

JOSIAH V. HOSHOUR, a prominent manufact-
urer, was born in Heidelberg Township, August 21,
1814. His parents, John and Elizabeth (Klinepeter)
Hoshour, were natives of York County, and of Ger-
man descent. When only three years'old his father
died, leaving six children, and his mother died in
1854, aged seventy-five years. His early days were
spent on a farm, and when sixteen years old, he went
to Gettysburg school for three years, and then
taught school in the neighborhood for seven years.
In 1843 he became engaged in the forwarding busi-
ness at Glen Rock, and followed it until 1854. From
that time until 1878 he was engaged in farming.
In 1882 he took charge of the Glen Rock Works,
manufacturing machinery, etc., as superintendent,
and has held that position since. In 1883 the name
was changed to "Glen Rock Manufacturing Com-
pany." June 18, 1838, be was married at Shrews-
bury to Magdalena Koller, daughter of Jacob Rol-
ler, and had eight children, four of whom are liv-
ing ; Samuel K., Elnora, wife of N. Z. Seitz', Esq.;
Maggie and John H. The family belong to the
Evangelical Lutheran Church. Mr. Hoshour was
once chief burgess of Glen Rock; school director
for fifteen years, and justice of the peace from 1849
to 1864. He was also one of the organizers of the
"Frey Herbst & Co. Works."

DANIEL R. KLINEFELTER, son of Abraham
and Eliza (Ruhl) Klinefelter, of York County, and
of German descent, was born in Shrewsbury Town-
ship, April 10, 1852, and was next to the youngest
of ten children. He was brought up on a farm and
received a common school education. At the age
of nineteen years, he began the plastering trade,
which he followed two years. In 1873 he com-
menced the manufacture of ice-cream, as an appren-
tice, and in 1874 he went into partnership with his
employer, at Shrewsbury Station, but at, the end
of one year the firm dissolved, and with another
partner, J. H. Hendrix, he carried on the business
for two years. Later he bought out his partner,
and has since been alone in the business. In 1882
he tried steam power, but it proved a failure, and
returned to hand power. He manufactures about
5,000 gallons per year, and supplies the Baltimore
and Washington markets. In 1883 he, in connec-
tion with J. B. Davis, of Maryland, engaged also in
the buggy and carriage business. He was mar-
ried, August 15, 1873, at Shrewsbury, to Lucretia
Heathcote, daughter of John Heathcote, of York,
and has had four cliildren, one of whom died in in-
fancy; Olin R., Gilbert A. and Irma R. He is a
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, while
his wife belongs to the Evangelical Association.
He is also a prominent Odd Fellow, Mount Vernon
Lodge, No. 143, a member of the Encampment,
and was assessor of Newbury Borough in 18S1 and

ROBERT F. KOLLER, farmer, was born in
Shrewsbury Township, December 24, 1828. His



parents, Peter and Eve (Klinefelter) Koller, were
natives of York County. They had thirteen chil-
dren—eight daughters and five sons— of whom
Robert P. is the youngest. He lived on the farm
until nineteen years of age, receiving his education
at school and from the newspapers. At the age of
nineteen he went to Lancaster County, and served
an apprenticeship of two years as millwright, which
trade he followed fifteen years, but gave it up on
account of his health. He returned to Shrewsbury
Township, and farmed eight years. In 1866 he
went into the lumber business, in which he lost
$35,000, following it for ten years; then returned to
New Freedom, where he bought a fine farm of
seventy-four acres, upon which he has since re-
sided. February 22, 1854, he was married at Seitz-
land, to Adeline Deviney, of York County, and of
Irish descent; and has seven children: Charles W.,
Maria, John D., Edward G.. Harry E., Ida Bell and
Robert F. (deceased). Since 1875 Mr. Koller has
been engaged in the lumber business at New Free-
dom. He was a commissioner of Clinton County
three years, and director of the poor three years.
His wife died in 1879.

BENJAMIN F. KOLLER, an eminent civil
engineer, surveyor, conveyancer, insurance and law
agent, and justice of the peace of Southward,
Shrewsbury Borough, was born here August 26,
1830. His father, Isaac Koller, a native of Shrews-
bury Township, was born February 5, 1800, and
was married May 1, 1825, at Peter Smyser's hotel
(then the Blue Ball Tavern, on the York and Balti-
more Pike), two miles south of Shrewsbury, to Sarah
Shank, who was born near York, July 16, 1802.
To this union were born the following named chil-
dren: Margaret, MaryE., Benjamin F., George W.,
Andrew J., John W. and James B.— all still living.
The ancestors of Isaac Koller came from Germany,
and those of his wife were also German. During
his life he was first a blacksmith, then a merchant,
next a hotel-keeper, and finally associate judge of
the court of common pleas, York County. He
reared ail his children in his hotel, and of the five
boys not one is addicted to the use of intoxicating
liquors. He died October 21, 18.54, sincerely
mourned by his family and a widely extended
circle of acquaintances. Benjamin F. Koller has
served as justice of the peace for thirty years, was
elected State revenue commissioner in 1860; clerk
of the several courts of York County in 1875, and is
commissioner for the States of Maryland and New
York. He was married, March 7, 1852, to Mary
Magdalene Yoiing, youngest daughter of the late
Dr. Young, and has had born to him children as
follows: Isaac D., Cyrus C, and Beulah, living,
and Fannie V. and Cora Clotilde, deceased. Mr.
Koller stands high in the order of F. & A. M., hav-
ing attained the thirty-second degree, Scottish rite,
than which there is but one degree higher. He is
a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church.
His wife and son, Isaac, are members of the
Methodist Episcopal Church; his son, Cyrus, is a
member of the Evangelical Church. B. F. Koller
was one of the principal men who secured and or-
ganized Summit Grove Camp-meeting Association
in 1874, and has been identified with its manage-
ment ever since.

JOHN L. KREBS was born in Codorus Town-
ship, June 19, 1859; he remained in the township
until thirteen years of age, being taught in the dis-
trict schools. He was the second of four sons of
Adam and Mary (Warren) Krebs. When eighteen
years old he began farming for himself, which he is
still engaged in. September 18, 1881, he was mar-
ried to Lucy Shaffer, daughter of Daniel Shaffer, a
prominent farmer in Shrewsbury Township, and
has two children; Harry C. and Allen. Mr. Krebs
is a member of the Lutheran Church.

12



178



SHREWSBURY TOWNSHIP.



JACOB H. LAMOTTE, son of Joseph and
Elizabeth (Hershey) Lamotte, of Maryland and
Pennsylvania, and of French and German descent,
was born in Baltimore County, Md., May 8, 1819,
and was the eldest of seven children. He was
brought up on the farm and educated in the com-
mon schools in Maryland. He was married in Car-
roll County, Md., to Elizabeth Zimmerman, of
German descent, and had seven children: Joanna
(deceased), Eli (deceased), Jeremiah (deceased),
Joshua (deceased), Calvin, Cornelius and Ella. He
brought his family to York County, in 1840, and
settled in Manheim Township, where he lived until
1884, when he rented his farm and removed to New
Freedom. He was one of the organizers, and is a



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 209 of 218)