John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 210 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 210 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


director of Codorus & Manheim Insurance Com-
pany. He has held various township offices, and in
1879 he was elected county commissioner for three
years. The family are members of the German
Reformed Church. His parents died in 1865 and in
1847, respectively, aged seventj^-six and fifty-four
years. The farm which he owns in Manheim Town-
ship contains 170 acres of finely cultivated land.

JACOB LANIUS, born June 33, 1837, in Hope-
well Township, is the eldest of a family of four
sons and three daughters of John H. and Sarah M.
(Hersey) Lanius. His mother was a native of Dela-
ware. His great-grandfather, Lanius, came to
America from Germany, in 1731, and settled in
Kreutz Creek Valley, and all his descendants, with
the exception of Jacob Lanius, a brother of sub-
ject's father, have resided in York County. The
subject of this sketch attended the schools in his
neighborhood and worked on his father's farm un-
til he was seventeen years old. He engaged in the
lumber business, in Hopewell Township, with his
father, and followed it fifteen years. In 1873 he
removed to Fawn Township, and engaged in the
mercantile business in New Park, until 1879, when
he removed to York, having been elected recorder
of deeds for York County, which office he held for
one term, and then engaged in the lumber business
in Maryland (leaving his family in York), which
business he is still carrying on. He was married,
October 2, 1873, at Stewartstown, to Agnes E. Dun-
can, a native of Hopewell and daughter of John
Duncan, of Irish descent. . He has three children
living: Walter M. V., Inez Loretta and lona
Veronica. Two daughters — Irena and Lelia — are
dead. His father died in 1883, aged eighty-three
years. In the spring of 1884, our subject purchased
the farm now occupied by him near Slirewsbury
Borough. He is an active Democrat and held the
office of assessor of Hopewell Township and was
postmaster at New Park five years. He and his
wife are both members of the Presbyterian Church.

GEORGE C. LEE. a farmer in Shrewsbury
Township, was born in Baltimore City, in 18ol. His
parents, John and Elizabeth (Carty) Lee, natives of
England and Maryland, had four children, of whom
two died very young. Of the remaining two
George C. is the youngest. His education he re-
ceived partly in Baltimore, where he remained until
seventeen years of age, and in Shrewsbury Town-
ship. In 1868 he came to York County, where he
has since resided, following farming. His parents
are both dead; the father died in 1851, before sub-
ject was born, and the mother died in 1873. in
Shrewsbury Township. March 1, 1877, he was mar-
ried in New Freedom, to Isabel Hedrick, daughter
of George W. Hedrick, of Baltimore County, and
of German descent. They have three children;
Annie Elsie, Maude Elizabeth and Lawrence Ray.
In 1881 he removed to his present farm in Shrews-
bury Township, containing 170 acres, to the culti-
vation of which he devotes his whole time. Mr.
and Mrs. Lee are members of the Methodist Epis-
copal Church.



JOHN E. LOWE, a farmer in Shrewsbury Town-
ship, was born on the farm now owned by him,
March 26. 1846. His parents, Isaac and Elizabeth

' (Stabler) Lowe, were natives of Pennsylvania and
Maryland, and of English and German descent re-
spectively. They had six children, of whom John
E. was the youngest son. He was brought up on

I the farm, and learned the carpenter trade before he
was twenty-one years of age. His education he
received at the public schools. In 1875 he began
the butchering trade and followed it about five
years, and then returned to farming, which he has
since followed. He was married in 1872, at York,
to Elizabeth Singer, daughter of Charles Singer,
and a native of Germany. They had five children,
one of whom died when but three years of age.

I The living are AVillie H., Ada M., Annie E. and
Charles. Mr. and Mrs. Lowe are members of the
Methodist Episcopal Church, although Mrs. Lowe

I was brought up in the Lutheran Church. He
is a member and Master of the P. of H. No.
446. of New Freedom. Jacob Lowe, a brother
of John E., was a soldier in the United States army
and served about two years. The father died in
1875, aged seventy-two years, but the mother is
still living, and about seventy-two years of age.
Mr. Lowe was one of the organizers of the New
Freedom Building Association; and is a dii'ector in
the same.

ELI McDONELL was born in Shrewsbury, Feb-
ruary, 18, 1835. He is the second son of twelve
children of Hamilton and Sarah (Beck) McDonell.
At the age of twelve years he entered the employ-
ment of Myers & Small, merchants, of Shrewsbury,
and continued until February 1, 1859, when he

j entered the establishment of Lewis Wagner, hard-

1 ware merchant at Baltimore, remaining until July
of the same year, when he returned to SbreWsbury,
and, September 8, 1859, embarked in the general
merchandise business which he has continued to
the present. He carries a stock of |6,000, doing a
business of |18,000 in dry goods, notions, groceries,
boots and shoes, hats and caps, glass, queensware,
etc. He was married. May 3, 1872, to Justie E.
Berg, daughter of Rev. Andrew Berg, a citizen of
Shrewsbury. They have four children: Emory C,
Annie, Elsie and Mabel. Mr. McDonell and wife
are members of the Lutheran Church. He has been
treasurer of the Sunday-school since 1859; treasurer
of the church since 1865; treasurer of the Shrews-
bury & Rail Road Turnpike Company,since 1878,and
is a director in the Shrewsbury Savings Institution;
was postmaster during Lincoln's administration,
and served one term as town councilman and one
term as school director. He is a member of Shrews-
bury Lodge No. 433, A. P. & A. M., and of Mount
Vernon Lodge, No. 143, I. O. O. F.; has passed all
the chairs in the latter, and is treasurer of same.

WILLIAM H. MANIFOLD, M. D., was born
in Hopewell Township, September 5, 1830. His
parents, John and Marenda (Meads) Manifold, were
natives of Pennsylvania and Maryland, and of
English and French descent. They had eleven
children, of whom William H. was the eldest. His
early life was spent on the farm, and he received
his education at the public schools, and at the
Tuscarora Academy. For six years he taught
school. From Tuscarora Academy he entered the
Allegheny College at Meadville, in the junior class-,
but abandoned it on account of ill-health. In 1858
he entered Dr. Gerry's office at Shrewsbury, and
read medicine for six months. He then went to the
University of Maryland at Baltimore, and gradu-
ated as M. D., in the spring of 1861. He first
located at New Market, Md. In the summer of
1864 he went with the army as assistant army sur-
geon, and remained until the close of the war. At
one time he was ordered to take charge of the field



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



179



hospital of the Thirteenth New York and Ninth
New Jersey Cavalry, who were then fighting
Mosby. In May, 1865, he returned to Washington,
and remained at the United States General Hospital.
He then returned to New Market, where he re-
mained till 1866. From there he removed to Logan-
ville, where he practiced six years, and in 1873, he
came to New Freedom, where he has since resided.
In 1859 he was married in Baltimore, to Margaret
Ann Sheffer, a native of Shrewsbury, York County.
Theyhad eight children: John H. C. (now a student
of Pennsylvania College, Gettysburg), Sarah E.,
Aaron B. N., Luther C, William J., Mary M.,
Joseph (deceased) and LeRoy W. Mr. , and Mrs.
Manifold are members of the Lutheran Church,
and Dr. M. is now serving his third term as school
director.

EPHRAIM MILLER, D. D., resident pastor in
charge of the Lutheran Church at Shrewsbury, was
born December 8, 1818. in Cumberland County. His
parents, Daniel and Elizabeth (Fra^nkenberger) Mil-
ler were natives of Pennsylvania and of German
descent. They had four so'ns and five daughters, of
whom Rev. E. is the eldest. In his early life he as-
sisted his father at his trade, and attended the
public schools. At the age of fourteen he began
clerking in a store in which he remained three and
a half years. In his eighteenth year he entered
Pennsylvania College at Gettysburg, and gradu-
ated in 1841, as A. B., and later received the degree
of A. M. Up to 1844 he taught school in Illinois.
In 1845 he was licensed at Shelbyville, Dl., and in
1846 was ordained and preached at Shelbyville un-
til 1847. From there he went to Springfield, 111.,
where he had charge of a Lutheran Church for four
years; then to Oregon, 111., for one year and a half;
then to Cedarville, 111., for seven years; then to
Peru, 111., two years; next to Mount Morris, three
years; back to Springfield for six years and a half;
then went to Dixon, four years; Cincinnati four
years and a half; Smioksburg, Penn., two years.
In 1881 he came to Shrewsbury, and has charge of
New Freedom and Fissel's Churches. October 13,
1846, he was married at Hillsboro, 111., to Mary J.
Boone, of Kentucky, descended from a brother of
the famous Daniel Boone. They have had eight
children," of whom two died in infancy. The living
are William E., Mary E., John Henry, Alice E.,
Walter Boone and Charles A. Rev. Miller was ohe
of the organizers of the Hillsboro College, in 1846,
and of Carthage College in 1870, and of Mendota
College in 1856. In 1849 he established a classical
school at Springfield, 111., and continued it until 1851.
He also helped" to organize the synod of northern
Illinois in 1851. He was twice elected to a pro-
fessorship in the college at Springfield. 111., but both
times felt it his duty to decline.

JOHN E. MILLER was born in what is now
New Freedom Borough, November 19, 1836. His
parents, Meinrad and Anastasia (Dienst) Miller,
were natives of Baden, Germany, near Freiburg,
and came to America in 1833. They landed in
New York, and went from there to Chillicothe,
Ohio, returning, in a short time, to Baltimore,
where they lived one year, and in 1834 settled in
Strasburg, now Shrewsbury Township, where
three of the children were born. One had been
born in Ohio, and seven in Germany. Of the
eleven children six were sons. The ancestors be-
ing farmers, the boys were brought up for the same
purpose. Our subject received his education in the
public schools. About 1850 he learned the cigar-
making trade at Baltimore. At the age of twenty-
one he began life for himself. In 1861 he went to
Europe, and spent one year there visiting the birth-
place of his parents, and many other places of in-
terest. He also visited England, France and Hol-
land. Returning, he located at Baltimore, Md.,



where he followed the cigar business until 1881,
when he removed to New Freedom, where he be-
gan the manufacture of cigars exclusively. In
1879 he was married, in Baltimore, to Mary Wissel,
of Maryland, of German descent, and had three
children: Rita Mary, John E. and Joseph Vincent.
Mr. and Mrs. Miller were brought up to the Catho-
lic faith, and are active members of the church.
His only brother, Albert A. Miller, carries on
manufacturing, canning and farming at Upper
Falls, Baltimore Co., Md., and his only sister re-
sides in Hopewell Township, and is the wife of An-
drew Bisker. The father died in 1856, aged sixty
years; the mother died in 1839, aged thirty-nine
years. The father of Mr. Miller was one of the
principal men to build St. John the Baptist Catholic
Church at New Freedom, in 1843; the only members
were Meinrad Miller, Caspar Druschler, Anthony
Dienst and .lohn Dotterman.

GEORGE F. MILLER, son of Samuel and Mary
(Fishel) Miller, of Pennsylvania and Maryland, re-
spectively, was born in Shrewsbury Township De-
cember 19, 1843. He was the second son and fifth
child in a family of eight children, and was reared
on the farm, receiving a common school educa-
tion. He taught school one winter, and then en-
gaged in droving and butchering, which he followed
up to 1883. January 10, 1867, he was married, at
Shrewsbury, to Leah Koller, daughter, of J. P,
Koller, of that place, and had eight children: Ida,
Clinton, Elsie, Harvey, John, Lulu, Samuel and
Mary. In 1871 he removed to Maryland, where
he carried on the butchering and droving. In 1883
he purchased a tract of land, heavily timbered, near
New Freedom, on which he erected a steam saw-
mill, and converted the timber into lumber, em-
ploying from eight to fifteen men. Mr. Miller be-
longs to the Evangelical Association, is a Granger^
and for ten years was a school trustee in Maryland'
His father still lives in Shrewsbury Township,
aged seventy years, and his mother sixty-five years.
He is a trustee of the church, an active worker and
exhorter, and has been superintendent of Ruhl's
Sabbath-school for eight years. He is still living in
Baltimore County, Md., but keeps part of his family
in York County, at the saw-mill, where he keeps "a
boarding house for the hands. His eldest daughter,
now sixteen, attends to the work here,

MARK RADCLIFFE is a native of Yorkshire,
England, was born August 3, 1837, and came to
America in March, 1848. His parents, Joseph and
Anna (Heathcote) RadclifEe, had six children, of
whom he was next to the youngest. His brother,
Abel, came to America in 1840, and died in Dela-
ware County, Penn., in 1873. When fourteen
years of age he was apprenticed to rope-making,
which trade he has always followed. His mother
died when he was but three years old, and his fa-
ther when he was sixteen years old. He landed in.
Philadelphia, and came direct to Glen Rock, where
he engaged in rope-making in company with George
Shaw, a comrade who came with him to America.
For two years he ran a walk out doors. In 1853:
his establishment burnt out, but was rebuilt, andi
in 1873 they bought a large grist-mill at Centreville,
and at once commenced the business of rope-making
in an extensive way, working about 900 to 1,000
pounds of material a day. For three years he also ran
a livery stable at Glen Rock. In 1847 he was mar-
ried, in Lancashire, England, to Mary Ann Shaw,
who died eight years after coming to America,
leaving two children: Iveson- H. and Joseph. In
1859 he was married, at York, to a younger sister of
his first wife. They have had six children, four of
whom are living: John S., Millie, Minerva and Ed-
ward B. Mr. Radcliffe was constable in Glen Rock
about four years, also deputy United States mar-
shal of the Fifteenth Pennsylvania District from



SHREWSBURY TOWNSHll*.



1861 till the close of the war; assistant assessor of
the Fifteenth District in 1865; borough councilman
and chief burgess for two years, ending in the
gpnog of 1884.

JOSEPH RAFFENSPERGER, eldest son of
Christian and Rachel (Wagner) Raffensperger, of
German descent, was born in Paradise Township,
August 18, 1838. Leaving home at the age of thir-
teen he went to live with Rev. Mr. Berg, in Shrews-
bury, and at the age of seventeen entered the store
of Myers & Small; remained with them and their
successors eleven years. In the spring of 1868, in
partnership with C. F. Ruling, he engaged in the
mercantile business at Goldsboro,and after one year
aold out to his partner, returned to Shrewsbury,
and clerked with Mr. Hartman until 1872; then
embarlied in the hotel business, continuing with the
exception of one year until 1880, then removed to 1
York; clerked ;n a mercantile establishment there
one year; returned and resumed the hotel business
in Shrewsbury in 1881. and in the spring of 1882
purchased the Shrewsbury hotel, which he has
since conducted. He was married June 12, 1859, to
Arabel Hartman, daughter of Joseph Hartman, and
they have had four children: Fannie Eiiza, died at
the age of four years; Effie D.; Olaudie M., wife of
Jacob Banner, of Baltimore, and Henrietta L. He
is a member of both Lodge and Encampment of
I. O. O. F., is now (1884) serving his third term as
borough councilman, and has been delegate to
Democratic county convention several times.

REV. JOSEPH A. RAMSAY was born in Balti-
more, April 5, 1815. His father, Joseph Ramsaj',
came from Ireland to America in 1796. and stopped
in York County, where he married Agnes Andrews,
a native of York County. He was a shipsmith,
and worked in 1812 under George Stiles, mayor of
Baltimore, on the gun-carriages of Fort McHenry.
Joseph A. was educated in St. Mary's College, and
Jived in Baltimore fifty years. Having learned the
trade of shipsmith he fiirmed a partnership, at the
age of twenty-one, with Charles Hergisheimer, and
continued four years; then engaged in the book
business twenty-five years; bought a farm in

1865, on the Pennsylvania and Maryland line, on
the Baltimore & York Turnpike; nioved to it in

1866, and has resided there ever since. He was a
member of the Baltimore city council in 1840^1;
was one of ten "Maine Law Delegates " to the house
of delegates in the Maryland legislature in 1853-54;
was brought up in the Presbyterian Church, but
united with the Methodist Episcopal Church in
1841; was licensed to preach in 1873, and has
preached occasionally since that time; assisted by
a liberal donation in building "Asbury Chapel," at
New Market, and preaches tliere. He is an honor-
ary member of the P. of H. and a member of the
I. O. O. F. He was married October 29, 1840, at
Pimlico, Md., to Mary Agnes Shaw, a daughter of
Daniel Shaw, and a member of the Presbyterian
Church.

CHESTER C. RICHEY, born in Shrewsbury,
April 12, 1848, is the youngest of the family of five
sons and two daughters of Robert and Margaret S.
(Dinkle) Richey. At the age of eight he began
cigar-making, and since 1865, when lie began busi-
ness for himself, he has been engaged in the manu-
facture of cigars, either on his own account or as a
journeyman. In 1880 he went to Cincinnati, Ohio,
where he worked a year, then returned to his native
borough, and in 1881 started a factory, which he
has since conducted, manufacturing 350,000 cigars
annually. He was married in 1870, at Shrewsbury,
to Elizabeth Hofacker, who died in October, 1879,
leaving two children: Claudie and Harry. He was
next married at Hametown, October 23, 1881, to
Millie Anstine, daughter of Emanuel Anstine, and
they have had two children; Elsie E. and Beulah



Jane. Mr. Richey was educated in his native town.
He is a Mason.

PETER RUHL, born in Baltimore County.Md.,
June 30, 1834, is the eldest son of William and
Elizabeth (Crim) Ruhl, who had four sons and eight
daughters. He was brought up on the farm, and
attended the district school. A t the age ol twenty-
six he began farming. He was married, in October,
1855, to Sarah Rogers, a native of Enj;land, and
has had six children; Clara Virginia, died at the
age of one year and a half; the five living are Rob-
ert J., mining in Virginia; John W., school teacher;
George E., a farmer; Charles E., a farmer at home,
and Sarah Lizzie Jane, at home. He removed to
York County in 1867, and located where he has
since resided; owns a fine farm of 167 acres. He
has served one year as judge of elections; as school
director since 1876; he was one of the organizers
and for two terms a director of the New Freedom
Building & Loan Association, and is a member of
the Evangelical Association.

EDWARD K. SEITZ, born at Hametown,Janu-
ary 20, 1836, is the eldest sou of a family of thir-
teen children of Samuel and Christiana (Klinefelter)
Seitz. He lived on a farm, attended the common
schools and Shrewsbury Academy. Beginning at
the age of twenty-one, he taught school eight terms
in the public schools of York County; has practiced
surveying since 1865; has been keeper of the toll-
gate of York & Maryland Line Turnpike since
1867; has manufactured hames since 1869, besides
managing his farm where he lives, about one mile
and a half north of Shrewsbury. He was elected
justice of the peace in 1883, by a large majority,
although an active Republican in a Democratic
township; was a candidate for recorder on the
reform ticket in 1872, and was defeated by a small
majority; is a member of the Republican county
committee, and has been a delegate to the county
convention at different times. He was married, in
1864, at Glen Rock, to Miranda Miller, daughter of
Samuel Miller, and they have eight children : James
Elmer, Lizzie Mary, Allen Harvey, Samuel Clayton,
Henry Clinton, Charles Edward, Carrie Christiana
and Alverta Miranda. He is a member of the
Evangelical Association; is superintendent of the
Union Sunday-school at Hametown, and has been
Sunday-school superintendent or assistant for thir-
teen 3'ears.

ADAM D. SEITZ, son of Levi and Magdalena
(Dice) Seitz, natives of York County, and of Ger-
man descent, was born May 7, 1837. Of five chil-
dren, he is the eldest. He remained on a farm until
sixteen years of age, receiving his education at the
public schools. He also attended Union Seminary
at New Berlin, and the York Normal School. At
the age of seventeen, he began teaching, and fol-
lowed it for sixteen years. He was married at
Loganville. November 3, 1859, to Anna Maria
Hildebrand, daughter of Casper Hildebrand, of
German descent. They have four children; Maggie,
Susan E., Frederick C., and Martha Daisy. Mr.
Seitz is a member of the Reformed Church, and was
an elder for several years. In 1873, he was elected
justice of the peace and served five 3'ears. He was
also a school director for a number of years. In
1866 he removed from Loganville to Hametown,
where he has since resided. In addition to farming,
he has run a huckster route for eight years. In
company with R. Seitz, he built the Hametown pub-
lic schoolhouse. He is agent for the Southern Mu-
tual Fire Insurance Company of York County, and
was president of the building committee of Shrews-
bury Reformed Church.

BENJAMIN SEITZ, son of John and Sarah
(Schnell) Seitz, of York County, was born March
10, 1843. His father was born in Pennsylvania.
Benjamin is the third of seven children, and the



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



181



second son. His father being a hame-maker, he had
to learn that trade early in life, also working on the
farm and attending the common schools, attending,
also, for one term, the State Normal School, at Mil-
lersville. At the age of twenty-one his father took
him into partnership in manufacturing hames and
merchandising in Hametown. The hame manu-
facturing he has since continued, manufacturing
about 15,000 pairs per annum. He was married, at
Hametown, November 34, 1864, to Barbara A. Ster-
mer, daughter of Joseph Stermer, of York County,
and has had ten children; Clara Matilda (deceased),
William W., Emma L., John H., Sarah S , L. Ame-
lia. Barbara Ella. Benjamin F., Joseph E. and An-
nie M. Mr. Seitz belongs to the Reformed Church
and his wife to the Lutheran Church. He is the
treasurer of the church, was inspector of elections,
and is a director of the Shrewsbury & Railroad
Station Turnpike Company,

N. Z. SEITZ was born in Shrewsbury Township
near Glen Rock. York Co., Penn., January 20,
1843, and is one of a family of ten children— seven
sons and three daughters. His father, Michael
Seitz, and his mother, Anna Mary Zeigler. are na-
tives of the same township, while the great-great-
grandfathers of both were natives of Germany, but
came to this country when quite young, and were
sold as slaves to pay for their steerage. The sub-
ject of this sketch lived on the farm with his father
near Glen Rock, Penn., until seventeen years of age,
in the meantime attending public and select
schools at intervals. At the beginning of the late
civil war, not yet eighteen years of age, he entered
the Union army, enlisting in Company D, Eighty-
seventh Regiment PennsylvaniaVolunteers, in which
he served for three years, and was promoted to a non-
commissioned officer. He subsequently re-entered
the service as first lieutenant of Company B, Si.xty-
seventh Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, and
was soon promoted to captain, in which capacity he
held various important positions, and served until
after the close of the war. On his return home he
entered the profession of teaching, having charge of
public and select schools up to 1871, during which
time he was also special contributor to various
newspapers. In January, IST'l, he became one of
the editors and publishers of the Glen Rock Item,
shortly thereafter taking editorial control of the
paper, and continuing so up to the present time.
During this period he has also edited a temperance
paper, a musical journal and an educational month-
ly. He was three times commissioned as justice of
the peace, served on the York County commission
to reaudit the war claims for the county; was one



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 210 of 218)