John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 211 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 211 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of the deputy marshals in taking the census of 1870;
has been school director in his town, and has held
other important local positions of trust. He has
been active in most of the public movements in his
section, having served a number of years as presi-
dent of the Shrewsbury District Sunday-school In-
stitute; two years as the president of the York
County Sunday-school Union, and two years as the
president of the York County Educational Society,
which latter position he is holding at this time. He
has delivered a number of lectures and addresses on
educational and scientific subjects; is an active
member of the Masonic fraternity, K. of P. and G.
A. R., and has held important positions in these or-
ganizations. He was one of the conferrees that
nominated the Hon. William A. Duncan the second
time for congress in the Nineteenth Congressional
District. ,, .

LEWIS W. SHAFER was born m Manheim
Township, December 16, 1843, is the eldest son of
Nicholas and Elizabeth (Weigandt) Shafer, natives
of Maryland and Germany, respectively. He lived
on a farm until seventeen, attended York County
Academy one term, taught school one term, then



entered the service of the Northern Central Rail-
road Company at York, as clerk in motive pow-
er department, remained two years and a lialf;
attended commercial college at Poughkeepsie, N.
Y. ; graduated in 1864; entered the oflSce of North-
ern Central Railroad Company at Glen Rock
as clerk and book-keeper, remained four years; en-
gaged in business at Glen Rock two years; sold
out, and returned to his clerkship in the rail-
road office, and four months afterward was ap-
pointed agent of the company, and at this writing
(1884), is also telegraph operator, express agent,
general insurance agent, and secretary of the Glen
Rock Manufacturing Company, of which he was a
charter meaiber. He was married, September 27,
1868, to Addie C. Foust, of Glen Rock, and they
have seven children: Ida A.. Elizabeth, Addie,
Charles F., Jennie, Lewis W. and an intant un-
named. He and wife are members of the Lutheran
Church. He is a Master Mason, and has served
one term as school director, and one term as coun-
cilman.

GEORGE R. SHA.FFER, farmer and dairyman,
in Shrewsbury Township, was born in Codorus
Township March 21, 1841. His parents, Adam and
Susanna (Ruble) Shaffer, were natives of York
County, and of German descent, and had eleven
children — seven boys and four girls. George R. was
brought up on the farm, and educated at the com-
moii schools. At twenty-one years of age he began
the butcher business, and followed it four years,
January 10, 1867, he was married, in Shrewsbury
Township, to Rebecca Nonamaker, of York Coun-
ty, and had six children, one of whom died young;
Henry Clinton, Jennie Florence, Arthur Ervin and
Zura Alverta are living. Mr. Shaffer moved to his
present farm of 100 acres, at the time he was mar-
ried, working it until 1880, when he also com-
menced the dairy business. He is a member of the
Reformed Church, while his wife belongs to the
Lutheran Church. His father died in 187.5, aged
seventy-five years, and his mother in 1872, aged
sixty-five years.

ANDREW SHAW was born in Hyde, Cheshire,
England. July 23, 1838. His father came to Amer-
ica in 1848, and his mother and the entire family
followed in 1850. They located at Glen Rock,
where Andrew went to work in the woolen factory
of William Heathcote, and where he has since lived,
with the exception of one year spent in Delaware
County, and four years in the United States army.
He received his education in the public schools of
Glen Rock. He enlisted in Chester, Penn,, May
14, 1861, in Company C, First Regiment Pennsyl-
vania Reserves; served three years, and before re
turning home re-enlisted in Company G, One Hun-
dred and Ninetieth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and
served to the close of tlie war. He participated ia
all the battles of the Peninsular campaign, and in
front of Richmond under McClellan, and at the
second battle of Bull Run, Fredericksburg, Gettys-
burg, Grant's campaigns, clear through to the sur-
render of Lee's army, the first flag of truce on that
occasion entering the Union lines through his com-
pany. He was mustered out July 3, 1865, and
returned at once to Glen Rock, where he has since
been engaged as manager in the woolen manufac-
tory of Heathcote & Co. He was married, in 1866,
at Glen Rock, to Lucinda, daughter of John Mad-
dux,of Loganville, and has had nine children; three
died when small. The living are: Mary Ellen,
Lydia Ann, John Ridgeway, Ethel Amelia, Josepli
Ernest and Flora Mildred. Both Mr. and Mrs.
Shaw are members of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church. He was the first presiding officer of the
lodge of Red Men at Glen Rock, and has held all
the offices in the lodge. He is treasurer of the lodge
of K. of P., and has held the oflices of councilman



SHREWSBURY TOWNSHIP.



and chief burs^ess, and is at present a member of
the school board of Glen Rock Borough. In poli-
tics he is a Republican.

ISAAC SHEFFER. a miller of Shrewsbury
Township, was born in Hopewell Township, April
13, 1844, and is the son of John and Hannah (Bahn)
ShefEer. John ShefEer was born in Shrewsbury
Township in 1800; followed milling for a business,
.and in 1832, married Hannah Bahn, a native of
■Springfield Township, born in 1804. He had born
to him eight children, and departed this life about
the year 1876. Isaac Sheffer was married, in 1868.
to M. M. MofEett. and to this union have been born
five children. The parents are members of the
Lutheran Church and stand high in the estimation
of the community.

E. H. SHIREY, born in Springfield Township,
November 4, 1843, is the second son and third child
in a family of seven children of Isaac and Sarah
(Haines) Shirey. At the age of eighleen be began
to learn the trade of miller, at which he continued
until the age of twenty-one, when he worked about
.a year at cigar-making. At twenty-four he entered
the employ of Jacob Winemiller, a merchant of
Stewartstown, remaining one year, after which he
•drove a huckster wagon one year for Albert Miller,
«nd about two years and a half for himself, and
then engaged in farming two years. He ne.xt
moved to Lebanon, Penn., remained there four
years, then engaged in a general merchandise busi-
ness at Felton two years. April 1, 1879, he came
to Hametown. and embarked in the mercantile
business, continuing until January 1, 1884. He is
at present engaged in the manufacture of cigars.
He was married, January 23, 1870, to Louisa, daugh-
ter of Ambrose McGuigan, of Hopewell Township,
and has five children: Bernard W., Oscar C., Annie
v., Mabel A. and Helen B.

LEWIS N. SCHRIVER. liveryman, was born in
Hanover, Penn., December 22, 1848. His parents,
Henry C. and Maria (Felty) Schriver, were of Ger-
man descent, and reared four children, of whom
Lewis N., is the youngest. Up to his fifteenth
year he remained in Hanover attending the public
schools. At fifteen years of age he left home with-
out the consent of his parents, and enlisted at Balti-
more, in Company K, First Maryland Cavalry, a!;d
served sixteen months, and at the close of the war
was corporal of the company. Nearly all the time
he was in the Shenandoah Valley. Returning to
Hanover he began learning the cigar-making trade.
He then went to Pine Grove, where he clerked in
his brother's store for a year and a half. In 1868
he came to Glen Rock, and engaged in manufactur-
ing cigars, but after two years engaged in the livery
business, which he has followed since, also dealing
in horses and mules. January 17, 1871, he married,
in Glen Rock, Sarah J. Miller, daughter of E. R.
Miller, of Goldshoro, Penn. They had two chil-
dren, one of whom died, aged seven or eight years.
The other is Bertha. Mr. Schriver was constable
for three years, is a member of the K. of P., and
was an original stockholder in the Glen Rock Man-
ufacturing Company.

CONRAD SHUPPERT, farmer, was born in
Baden, Germany. March 8, 1838, and came to this
country with his parents. George and Mary (Braun)
SUuppert, in 1848, and landed at Baltimore. His
parents, who brought four children with them (four
having died before leaving home), remained in Mary-
land until their death, the father dying in 186.5, aged
sixty-eight years, and the mother in 1869, aged fifty-
eight years. Conrad had attended the schools in
Germany, and, after arriving in this country, he
attended the English schools for several months. In
April, 1861, he was married at York, Penn., to
Sophia Bush, also a German,and has eight children:
Margaret, Mary. Rosa, Katie, Annie, Joseph, Dora



and Augusta. The family all belong to the Catholic
Church, in which he had been brought up. In 1868
he removed from Baltimore County to his farm in
Shrewsbury Township, containing about 140 acres,
where he now resides.

CHARLES SINGER, farmer, was born in Hesse
Darmstadt, Germany, May 10, 1838, and came to
America in 18-51. landing in New York. He came
directly to Shrewsbury Township.where he engaged
at farming. His parents, Charles P. and Margaret
(Stark) Singer, had a family of five children, when
they landed here, and one was born in this country.
They remained in Shrewsbury Township, where the
father died in 187.5, aged sixty-seven years. The
mother is still living, being sixty-eight years old.
Charles Singer received his early education in Ger-
many, and has acquired a good English education
in this county. At the age of twenty-eight years
he commenced business for himself by purchasing a
farm of seventy-two acres near the Maryland line,
in Shrewsbury Township, from his father. Febru-
ary 1, 1866, he was married, in Shrewsbury Town-
ship, to Magdalena Ziegler, daughter of Michael
Ziegler, distiller and miller, of Shrewsbury Town-
ship. They had six children, of whom three are
dead: Lillie Alice. Elizabeth M. and John P. The
living are James F., Annie Jane and Eli M. The
family are members of the Evangelical Lutheran
Cburch, of which Mr. Singer is a deacon. He is
also chaplain of the order of the P. of H.
one of the organizers, and a director of the
New Freedom Building Association, a director in
the New Freedom Cemetery Association; was a
school director and councilman for three years, and
borough assessor for several terms.

HENRY SMITH, farmer, was born in Shrews-
bury Township. May 9, 1886. His parents, Henry
and Catharine (Hill) Smiih, came from Germany to
America, bringing five children with them, and hav-
ing born to tliem four more in York County. The
family consisted of four sons and five daughters, of
whom Henry, Jr., was next to the youngest. At
the age of fifteen years he began working for him-
self, aud October 13, 1864, he was married, in Shrews-
bury, to Leah Heindel, daughter of George Heindel,
and had four children, one of whom, William Mon-
roe, was born April 12, 1867, and died at the age of
eight monlhs. The living are: Leander James, born
January 37, 1863; Emanuel Edwin, born March 19,
1868; and Emma May, born May 5, 1877. Mr. Smitli
is a deacon in the Lutheran Church, and Mrs.Smilh
is a member of the Reformed Church. He owns
and resides on the homestead of his parents, a nice
farm of eighty-five acres of well-cultivated land. In
1883, he purchased the grist-mill, known as the
Sbafer Mill, but rents it out. He is also engaged in
running a steam thrasher. In 1873-74. he was
supervisor of his township, and was one of the or-
ganizers of the New Freedom Building Association,
and was twice elected to the board of managers, but
refused to serve. The Smith family all follow farm-
ing, one brother in Baltimore, one in Illinois and
one in York County. His father died at the age of
eighty 3'ears and his mother at the age of seventy-
four years.

ADAM H. SMITH, D. D. S.. was born in Hope-
well Township, York (bounty, August 14, 1843. His
parents, Frederick and Martha (James) Smith,
natives of York County, and of German and En-
glish extraction, had thirteen children; three died
in childliood, and one, Daniel L., a teacher, was
killed by the cars at or near Coatesville, Penn., in
1879. Adam H. was the third son and child in a
family of four sons and six daughters that grew to
manhood and womanhood. He was brought up on
a farm and educated at Stewartstown Academy, and
at the age of twenty-one, taught in the public
In 1865 he began the study of dentistry



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



with Dr. Burke, at Stewartstown, and remained
with him about eighteen months. He then took a
course at the Baltimore School of Dental Surgery,
after which he located permanently at Glen Rock,
and has now (1884) been in the practice of his pro-
fession about eighteen years. He enlisted in Au-
gust, 1864, at Harrisburg, in Company C, Two
Hundred and Tenth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and
served in the Army of the Potomac to the close of
the war. participating in the battles of Hatcher's
Run. etc.. and was promoted to be commissary
sergeant of his regiment. He was married, in 1867,
at Glen Rock, to Elmira W. Lamison, a native of
York County, and has four children; Ernest Mont-
ville, Alta Cynthia, Howard Roy and Martha Maud.
He is one of the trustees of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, at Glen Rock, of which he and his wife are
members. He has served one term as borough
councilman (1868) and is auditor of Glen Rock
Borough at this writing.

W. A. SPATE, a son of Joseph Spate, and a
resident of Loganville, York County, was born in
Springfield Township,near Glen Rock, York County,
June 19, 1851. He is on his mother's side of English
and Scotch ancestry, and of German on his father's.
His father's parents immigrated to this country
about sixty or seventy ago from Wittemburg, Ger-
many. They were very unfortunate on the first
vessel, having lost all their money through the
captain of the vessel, who, instead of landing
them on the coast of the United States, landed them
some where on the coast of Europe. They took pas-
sage for America on another vessel bound for the
United States. At that time the practice prevailed
of selling the service of such passengers who could
not pay their passage-money, to such persons in
this country who would pay their expenses for them.
The grandparents of Mr. Spate were among this
number, and their services were secured by a Mr.
Patterson, of Hopewell Township, for whom they
worked for some time. Afterward they began
farming for themselves. Their son Joseph received
but a limited education, and made a livelihood by
day laboring and carpentering. He served in the
army about a year during the late civil war and
died at home after the close of the war, in the win-
ter of 1867, when his son was nearly sixteen years
of age. W. A. Spate was then obliged to not only
support himself, but had also a widowed mother and
an invalid sister depending upon him. In the fall
of 1867 he began teaching. After the close of the
term he worked in the Feigley Ore Banks, where he
was engaged as a cart driver for nearly three years,
and then taught school again. After the close of
the second term he again began work in the ore
banks and was soon promoted to the position of
clerk and weighmaster, which position he occupied
until the fall of 1873, when the panic began. He
again entered the schoolroom and taught success-
fully each year until the fall of 1884, when he
entered the newspaper office of The Item, in Glen
Rock, Penn., and in December of the same year he
became a partner with Capt. N. Z. Seitz, in the
publication of The Item and The Monitor, the first
a weekly newspaper, and the second a literary and
educational monthly, of which Mr. Spate is assist-
ant editor. Mr. Spate had few educational advan-
tages, being obliged to leave the common school
soon after the death of his father, and before he was
sixteen. He studied and read during his spa-re
time, and often worked out problems in arithmetic
while driving cart in the ore banks. After some
years of study he secured a professional certificate
and afterward a permanent certificate. December
25, 1879, he married Miss Sarah C. Fry, daughter
of David Fry. of Loganville.

ELI STORMS, artist and teacher, is a native ^f
Shrewsbury, where he was born June 16, 1855



is a son of GeorgeW. and Margaret (Orwig) Storms;
the former born in Baltimore County, Md., Febru-
ary 28, 1824, the latter a native of Hopewell Town-
ship. They were united in marriage September 8,
1850, and were parents of three children, two now
living and one deceased. The subject of this sketch
was educated in the Shrewsbury English and Class_
ical Academy, and early in years gave evidence of
artistic ability, which was greatly developed through
persistent effort and constant practice. Previous to
1875 his sketches had been confined mostly to water
colors and pencil etchings, but his later efforts have
been in the field of portrait and landscape painting.
Mr. Storms is also an excellent draughtsman, and in
1881 was selected to f urnisli draughts for the several
government departments which were highly com-
mended for accuracy, neatness and merit. He is a
successful teacher, and since 1877 has taught seven
terms in the public schools of the county. In the
spring of 1880 he was appointed an instructor in
drawing and penmanship at Cedar Hill Seminary,
Mt. Joy, Penn. Mr. Storms is an active politician
and has held various political ofliees in the borough
of Shrewsbury since 1877, and is the present secre-
tary of various organizations. He has been a mem-
ber of the council several terms and clerk of that
body for the past five years. In 1879 he became a
member of Mt. Vernon Lodge, I. O. O. F., Shrews-
bury; Shrewsbury Lodge 423, F. & A. M., in 1880,
and Mt. Vernon Encampment of York, in 1880.

JOHN ASBURY TAYLOR, M. D., born in York
County, April 30, 1838, is a son of John and Rachel
(Gilbert) Taylor, of German, English and Irish ex-
traction. The Taylor family came from Maryland
to York County, about the year 1814. John Tay-
lor (the father of John A.), served through the war
of 1812, in a Maryland regiment, and died in 1861,
at the age of seventy-one years. His wife, Rachel,
died in 1873, aged seventy-nine years. They had
four sons and five daughters, who are all living u
York County, except one son and one daughter
who are buried in Hancock County, Ohio. The
subject of our sketch is the youngest of the family
and received an academic education in Hopewell
and Shrewsbury Academies; taught in the public
schools six years; read medicine in the office of
Dr. J. R. Bardwell, in Stewartstown, two years,
then at the age of twenty-six entered Maryland
University, at Baltimore, and while attending lec-
tures, read in the office of Dr. John Starr; graduated
March 3, 1866, with the degree of M. D. ; returned
to York County, and began the practice of medi-
cine, where he has since lived, on his farm of 132
acres about one mile and a half south by east of
Shrewsbury, where he devotes his whole time to his
profession and to farming. He has served as clerk,
as school director and as auditor of Shrewsbury
Township; was a delegate to the State Democratic
Convention in 1883, and to county convention at
different times. He was married, in Fawn Town-
ship in 1876, to Augustina R. Barton, daughter of
Thomas Barton, of English descent. She died
March 8, 1883, a member of the Presbyterian Church.
Dr. Taylor was brought up in the Methodist Epis-
copal Church, but is now of the Lutheran faith,
though not a member.

JAMES S. VENUS, cigar manufacturer, was
born in Shrewsbury Township, near Mount Zion,
May 30, 1851, and was the third son of the six chil-
dren of Henry and Ann (Sykes) Venus, of York
County and England, respectively. Until fifteen
years of age he remained in Shrewsbury Township,
then went with his parents to Carroll County, Md.
He received a good English education in both dis-
tricts, and in 1870 he removed again to York
County. In 1873 he began to learn photography at
Shrewsbury, and followed it six years. In 1878 he
He I learned cigar-making, and in 1879 began manufact-



184



SHREWSBURY TOWNSHIP.



uring, and at present makes about 200,000 a year.
September 17, 1876, he was married to Sallie E.
Eaton, daughter of John Eaton, of York County.
He and wife are members of the Methodist Episco-
pal Church. Mr. Venus is a prominent Odd Fel-
low, and has held all the chairs in Mount Vernon
Lodge No. 143.

AUGUST WEIHMILLER, cigar manufacturer,
was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, January 28,
1858, and is the second son of the three children of
M. and Margaret (Kimmel) Weihmiller. He came
to America when twenty-three years of age. In
Germany he received a tirst-class education. On
his arrival here he learned the cigar-making busi-
ness, in Seven Valleys with his brother, remaining
two years following his trade until January, 1884,
when he removed to Shrewsbury, and engaged in
manufacturing cigars for himself. Mr. Weihmiller
is a member of the F.& A. M., of Shrewsbury Lodge,
and of Zion's Lodge K. of P., of Seven Valleys,
York County. He employs seven hands and manu-
factures about 300,000 high priced cigars yearly.

GEORGE E. WERTZ was born in Manheim
Township, September 18, 1829. His parents, Daniel
and Margaret (Miller) Werlz, were born in York
County, and were of German and Swiss descent.
He lived on a farm until eighteen years of age;
learned the trade of bricklayer, which he followed
in connection with teaching, and the management
of a small farm in Codorus Township; taught
twenty-four terms in the public schools of York
County up to 1879; was inspector of elections in
Codorus Township, 18-53; school director. 1872-75;
auditor, 1876-79; took the enumeration of the
United States census of 1880, of Codorus Township
and Jefferson Borough ; was appointed steward of
the York County Alms House, and removed to York
in 1883; removed to Glen Rock in 1884, where, at
this writing, he is keeping a hotel. He was mar-
ried, October 9, 1851, to Frances Ann Weaver, born
in Maryland, and moved to Pennsylvania at an
early age. They have had ten children: William.
Jacob, Franklin (teaching in Kansas, was educated
for the ministry); Eliza Jane, died at the age of ten
years; James, died at the age of two years; Annie,
wife of Joseph Small; Ammon, Agnes. Alice and
Francis. Mr. and Mrs. Wertz are members of the
Reformed Church, and he is a member of Friendly
Lodge No. 287. K. of P.. of Glen Rock.

REV. JOSEPH BITTINGER WOLFF, resi-
dent pastor of Zion's Evangelical Lutheran Church
at Glen Rock, and St. Paul's at Hametown, was
born January 9, 1848. His parents, John George
and Eleanor (Bittinger) Wolff, were natives of
Adams County, Penn., and of German descent.
They reared a family of seven sons and one daugh-
ter. Rev. Joseph, who was the second of the fam-
ily, was brought up on the farm, and educated at
the public and private schools of his native county.
In the spring of 1869 he entered Pennsylvania Col-
lege at Gettysburg, and graduated in June. 1874, as
A. B. In the fall of 1874 he entered the Theolog-
ical Seminary at Gettysburg, and graduated from
there in June, 1877. A few days after graduating
he recived a call from Glen Rock, to take charge
of Zion's Evangelical Lutheran Church, which he
accepted, and has held since. In 1877 he was mar-
ried, at Gettysburg, to Miss Priscilla E.. daughter
of Daniel Cashman, of Adams County. They have
one daughter, Anna Eleanor, and one son, Joseph
Harold.

GEORGE P. YOST, M. D., was born in Carroll
County, Md., May 8, 1848. His father, Philip, was
a native of Hesse Darmstadt, Germany, and when
a small youth came with his parents to America,
arriving at Baltimore in 1825, having been over five
months in passage. His parents settled near the
Mason and Dixon line in Carroll County, Md.,



where he was reared. He subsequently purchased
a farm near his parents, and has followed farming
up to the present time. The paternal grandmother
of Dr. Yost was a French lady. The mother of our
subject, whose maiden name was Lydia Utz, was a
native of Carroll County, Md.. of Welsh descent.
Our subject was reared on a farm, and at the age of
sixteen be^an teaching, subsequently attending
Irving Institute at Manchester, Md., two years.
After teaching another year he entered the office of
Dr. WilliamA. Albaugh, of Sticks, located in North
Codorus Township, and commenced the study of
medicine. He graduated from the Washington
University, Baltimore, Md., in February, 1871, and
began the practice with his old preceptor, with
whom he was associated eighteen months. In 1872



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 211 of 218)