John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 79 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 79 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Street, where it remained until April, 1874,
when it was removed to No. 4, North Beaver
Street. During this time new machinery and
material were purchased, and associated



press news received. On September 4, 1870,
the Daily was sold to Isaac Rudisill, John
H. Gibson and A. P. Moul, who formed a
copartnership in its publication. All of them
were at the time employes in the office. April
21, 1877, the paper was enlarged and greatly
improved. The Daily had long before be-
come a necessity in York, even though for a
time during its early history it struggled for
an existence. In 1881 it was moved to its
present place opposite the court house. On
January 26, 1882, it was purchased by its
present proprietors. E. W. Spangler, John
B. Moore and 8. C. Prey. In I'ebruary of
the same year it was increased in size, being
then made a sheet of 25x36 inches. During
the following Julj the price was changed
from $3 to $4 per annum, and a more com-
plete supply of associated jaress dispatches
received. It thus became one of the largest
and newsiest of inland dailies, April 1,
1885, the issue of a twenty -page paper from
this office was considered a marvel of enter-
prise. The large finely equipped office is
now located opposite the court bouse. This
paper is independent in politics and the only
morning paper published in York. The
town of York is justly proud of so enterpris-
ing a daily journal. Its news is eagerly read by
a large number of subscribers. The York
Weekly, issued from the same office, was
started in 1876, as a quarto sheet, 26x36
inches in size. When the Daily was pur-
chased by the present owners it was included.
It was enlarged to a six-page paper, and on
October 19, 1883, the form was changed and it
was made an eight page paper on a sheet 31x43
inches.

The Evening Telegram, edited and pub-
lished by George R. Prowell, from Oc-
tober, 1873, fo June, 1875, was the first
paper in York County to be connected with
the associated press, and regularly receive
the telegraphic news. Thirty dollars a week
were regularly paid for dispatches. This
was a new era in the history of journalism
in the county. The paper ceased publication
at a time when nearly all the industrial estab-
lishments in York had temporarily closed on
account of the financial depression.

The Teacher's Journal is a valuable month-
ly Sunday-school periodical, established in
York in 1874, and is still edited and pub-
lished by Rev. P. Anstadt. It now contains
thirty-two pages, price 50 cents per year.
The Lesson Quarterly, was started by the
same gentleman in 1875. It contains twen-
ty-two pages, price 12 cents per year. The
Primary Leaf, published monthly at 6 cents
a year, and the Children's Guide, an illus-



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY.



trated monthly, price 25 cents a year, was
started by the same authors in 1884. In
1885 Rev. Anstadt published a book of 360
pages entitled " Practical Sermons and Ad-
dresses, " by Rev. A. H. Lochman, D. D.

The Evening Dispatch was established by
Hiram Young on May 29, 1876, the same
month the great centennial exhibition of
Philadelphia opened. The proprietor having
had long experience in publishing a success-
ful weekly paper soon made his new daily
paper an influential journal. For neatness
of topography and excellence of mechanical
execution it has received the most favorable
comment in the columns of other journals
and from its many patrons. It is also fre-
quently commended for the excellent selec-
tions, and for the variety of its news. When
the paper started a limited amount of press
dispatches was obtained. In November,
1883, the United Press leased from the lead-
ing telegraph companies a wire for the
transmission of newspaper dispatches, where-
upon Mr. Young then introduced one of
these wires into the Ditipatch oifice, and on
May 14, 1885, to better protect himself and
receive more extended telegraphic reports
daily, he became a member of the United
Press and secui'ed exclusive franchise for
receiving the news from this association for
an evening paper in York, thus giving the
Dispatch prestige as a prominent and lead-
ing journal. Its ninth anniversary was
celebrated May 29, 1885, by issuing a twenty-
page paper containing a great variety of
interesting reading matter.

The Commercial Monthly was edited by H.
M. Crider, and existed for a year or two.
The Record, a daily paper, was published by
S. H. Spangler for nine months during the
centennial year. It was ably edited by the
well known poet, E. Norman Gunnison.
The Missionary Journal is now printed in
the Daily office.

The Age, a vigorous and enterprising
Democratic daily paper was started January
24, 1883, by its present editor and proprietor,
Edward Stuck, son of Oliver Stuck, of the
Press, in which office it is published. Mr.
Stuck had just returned to York from the
position of editor of the Derrick, a daily
paper published at Oil City, Penn., for the
purpose of establishing a Democratic daily
organ in York, which he has since managed
with undoubted enterprise and skill. It was
a morning journal from January to May,
1883, since which time it has been publislied
in the afternoon. The lirst year of its
history it was a six-column paper, twenty -one
inches in length. On January 24, 1884, it



was enlarged to a seven-column paper. It
contains a great variety of telegraphic, gen-
eral, and local news.

The Fountain, an interesting and popular
illustrated monthly, widely used for supple-
mentary reading in schools, is issued monthly
during ten months of the year, and edited
by W. H. Shelley, superintendent of the
public schools of York, and printed at the
office of the York Gazette. It was started
in September, 1883, price 50 cents per year.

HANOVER JOUEN.iLISM.

The first paper published in Hanover was
started in April, 1797, by Stellingius & Lep-
per, and was called Die Pennsylvanische
Wochinsckrift, printed in German. It sus-
pended publication in February, 1805.
April 4, of the same year, Daniel P. Lange,
an intelligent German, and J. P. Stark
commenced to issue the Hanover Gazette, a
German paper. The type was purchased at
York, having been used in publishing a
paper that had been discontinued. The
partnership of Lange & Stark continued un-
til 1816, when Mr. Lange alone continued
the publication of the paper regularly until
1842, and from that year to 1846, Augustus
Schwartz was associated with him. Prom
1846 to 1850, Mr. Lange again conducted
the Gazette alone, and afterward sold it to
Gutelius & Swartz. The first named gentle-
man was pastor of the Reformed Church of
Hanover, who sold bis interest to V. S.
Eckert in 1852, and soon after, T. S. Eckert
purchased Mr. Schwartz's interest. At the
opening of the civil war in 1860, the Gazette
changed from a Democratic to a Republican
paper; George E. Sherwood, of York, was
for a time its editor. It ceased publication
in 1864, after an existence of sixty years.

Another German paper was started in 1809,
and continued only one year. In August,
1818, Rev. Jacob H. Wiestling, pastor of the
Reformed Church, issued the first English
paper published in Hanover. Its name was
the Guardian. In 1819, he sold it to Joseph
Schmuck, father of Henry M. Schmuck, now
president of the First National Bank of
Hanover and lumber merchant. Joseph
Schmuck owned one of tlie old time Franklin
presses. One day, while printing his paper,
he over-exerted himself working at the press,
burst a blood vessel, and died from the re-
sult at the age of thirty-three years. Will-
iam D. Gobrecht purchased the paper in
1824. It discontinued in 1825, and soon
after the Hanoverian, another English paper,
took its place, and was published several
years. In 1824, Joseph Schmuck and Dr.



•^







JOURISrALISM.



Peter Mueller began the publication of the
Intelligenceblatt. It was soon removed to
Adams County.

In 1835 another English paper, the fferaZd,
was started by George Frysinger, and in

1839, was purchased by J. S. Gitt, and in

1840, by Grumbine & Bart. It suspended in
1840,

The Democrat, an English paper, was
founded in 1841; in 1844, its name changed
to the Planet and Weekly News, when it was
purchased by Senary Leader, of Baltimore,
Md,, who had previously founded the Bed-
ford, Penn., Enquirer. He changed the name
of the paper to the Hanover Spectator. He
died March 20, 1858, and his widow, Mrs.
M. Leader, became the publisher, and F. M.
Baughman, of Baltimore, the editor, who con-
tinued until 1860. Mrs. Leader conducted
the paper until her death in 1875, and since
then the Spectator has been owned by W.
H. & E. J. Leader. It is a large nine col-
umn folio. Republican in politics, and now
the oldest paper in Hanover. It is printed on
a power press. The office is supplied with a
large variety of type and machinery.

Rev. A. Rudisill, now of York, for several
years published the Monthly Friend, begin-
ning in 1843. The Regulator, started by
J. S. Gitt, in 1848, existed two years. From
1850 to 1861, the English Gazette was pub-
lished by Swartz & Eckert. It discontinued.

The Journal, the Visitor, the Locomotive
and General Advertiser, were other papers
that had a short existence. The Hanover
Citizen was established in 1861. During
that year, George W. Welsh and Joseph Del-
lone purchased the York County Democrat,
a German paper, then published in Hanover,
by Swartz & Bart, and changed its name to
the Hanover Citizen and York County Dem-
ocrat. The first number of the English Citi-
zen appeared January 31, 1861, with F. M.
Baughman as editor, and Welsh & Dellone,
proprietors. Since that time there has always
been an English and German paper pub-
lished at this office. The editorial manage-
ment of the papers was assumed by the own-
ers, February 26, 1863. William Heltzel
purchased both papers November 9, 1865,
and in December of that year, he sold the one-
half interest in the two papers to William
Von Monikovski, who took charge of the
German department of the office, and so con-
tinued until his death, April 25, 1868, when
Mr. Heltzel again took charge of both papers.
William J. Metzler became an eq.ual partner
in the business, March 16, 1869, and sold his
interest to A. P. Bange, October 19, 1871,
who conducted the German edition till his



death. May 4, 1875. Mr. Heltzel again
assumed charge of both papers, and published
them until June 29, 1879, when, on account
of ill-health, he sold the office to Barton K.
Knode, the present proprietor. The size of
the English paper is 24x36 inches, and the
German paper 22x30 inches. They are both
Democratic in politics, and are prominent and
influential journals. The office is supplied
with an excellent selection of job type and
all varieties of printing material and machin-
ery.

In June, 1872, the present Hanover Herald
was started by M. O. Smith, of York, and P.
H. Bittinger, of Hanover. Mr. Smith had
founded the Glen Rock Item in 1870, and
sold his interest in that paper to his partner,
N. Z. Seitz, to come to Hanover and establish
the Herald. The new paper was independent
in politics, a seven-column folio in size,
printed on a hand press. The growth of the
business demanded improved facilities and a
power printing press. The first used in Han-
over was purchased in 1876, when the paper
was also enlarged to eight columns, or 28x42
inches. By 188] the increase in circulation
rendered necessary the introduction of steam-
power, the Herald being the only paper
printed by steam-power in the town. The
firm of Smith & Bittinger was dissolved April
7, 1885, Mr. Bittinger retiring. In his
announcement Mr. Smith stated that of the
667 numbers of the Herald, issued in the
thirteen years up to that date, not more than
three of them were published without his
own immediate supervision.



The Delta Herald is a fom- page, seven-
column weekly published at Delta, this county.
It was started September 1, 1878, as the
Weekly Herald by N. W. Boyd, of Peach
Bottom. In April, 1879, R. L. Keisling, of
the same township, became a partner in its
publication, and in June following was sole
proprietor. S. J. Barnett, the present editor
and proprietor, March 2, 1880, became
associated in the business, soon after pur-
chased Mr. Keisling'a interest and assumed
entire charge, under the name of the "Herald
Publishing Company."' The Herald has
ever been devoted to the highest interests of
the people of the section in which it is pub-
lished, and especially of the Peach Bottom
roofing slate interests, located near Delta. It
is also a persistent advocate of the temper-
ance cause. The paper receives a generous
support from the appreciative public.

The Delta Times, a weekly journal, was
published for a year or more by J. T. Craw-
ford, before the Herald started.



HISTOEY or YORK COUNTY.



The history of the Dillsburg Bulletin,
Glen Rock Item, and Wrightsville Star, will
be found in the history of those boroughs.



KELIGIOUS DENOMINATIONS.

iH^HE first settlers of York County were
^J- Friends or Quakers, Episcopalians,
Presbyterians, Lutherans, German Beformed
and Moravians. The first three denomina-
tions composed the English-speaking people
and last four the German. Among the first
German settlers were also a number of Ger-
man Baptists (Dunkers) and Mennonites.
The Friends were very numerous in the up-
per end of the county a century ago, and
were a highly industrious and respectable
class of people, but have now only one meet-
ing-house in the county in which religious
services are regularly held. This one is
located in the village of Fawn Grove in Fawn
Township. The services in the Newberry
meeting, once very strong, are now discon-
tinued, and the Warrington meeting is held
but once a year. Many of the early Friends
emigrated west and south, while the descend-
ants of those who remained gradually became
members of other denominations. There is
but one Episcopal church in the countj-, and
it is located in the borough of York. It is a
large, wealthy and prosperous congregation,
whose membership is composed of many of
the most intelligent inhabitants of the town.

The Presbyterians, who were the first set-
tlers of the lower end of the county, have
gradually increased in numbers and influ-
ence. In that section there are now nine
Presbyterian churches, two in Hopewell
Township, two in Peach Bottom, two in
Lower Chanceford and one in Fawn. Of
this denomination there are also two churches
in York, one in Wrightsville and one in
Dillsburg. There are three United Presby-
terian churches, one in Chanceford, one in
Lower Chanceford and one in Hopewell.
They are the descendants of the Scottish
Covenanters.

The Lutherans, at present, are the most
numerous in York County. Some of the
churches of this denomination in town and
country, have as many as 500 communicant
members. There are more than fifty church
buildings of this denomination in the coun-
ty. Many of them, however, are held con-
jointly with the Eeformed denomination.



J



which numerically is nest to the Lutherans in
membership in York County. Both of these
denominations are very prominent and exert
an important influence in the religious affairs
of the county, though their aggregate
membership in the United States is small in
comparison to that of some other denomina-
tions.

Most of the members of the Lutheran and
Reformed Churches in York County are
I descendants of the first German and Swiss
settlers and their followers, and the custom
of building Union churches began with the
first settlements. In many instances, as Kreutz
Creek, Dover, Quickel's and Conojohela
Churches, etc., the two denominations have
worshiped in the same buildings nearly a
century and a half.

There is but one Moravian church; it is
located in York. A hundi-ed years ago there
was one in Codorus Township. The Men-
nonites have about a dozen meeting-houses in
the county.

The Welsh have two churches in Peach
Bottom Township.

Some of the early settlers around Hanover,
what was originally known as the "Cone-
wago settlement," were Catholics. Their
descendants are still in that town and vicin-
ity. There is one church of this denomina-
tion in Hanover, two in York, one in Dallas-
town, one in Shrewsbury, one in Codorus
Township and one in the west end of Para-
dise Township.

Very few of the churches of any denomi-
nation in York County are incorporated,
which is a great mistake. Intelligent mem-
bei-s should consider this subject. Deacons,
elders and vestrymen must be selected annu-
ally by their respective congregations, to be
lawful officers. /

THE BAPTISTS.

This denomination, though very strong in
some sections of this country and in large
cities, has but two places of worship in this
county, one in York and one in Delta.
More than a century ago a small settlement
of Baptists located along the banks of the
Conewago, in the northeast corner of Dover,
northwest corner of Conewago and southern
part of Warrington Townships. In the
midst of their settlement they erected a
small house of worship, which was named
the "Dover Baptist Church." Among its
first members were Moses Davis, Susanna
Davis, Anna Davis, William Smith, Sarah
Smith, Phebe Hawk, William Laird, Cathe-
rine Laird, and Anne Bear. Later a num-
ber of families by the name of Kunkel,



EELIGIOUS DENOMINATIONS.



Spanojler and Gray were added to the con-
gregation. One of the early clergymen of
this denomination says: "About the close of
the eighteenth century, a number of mem-
bers of this settlement came to York County,
who believed that the doctrine of immersion of
a believer in water was necessary to constitute
Christian baptism, and wrote to the Vincent
Baptist Church of Chester County, desiring
that church to send a person properly qual-
ified to baptize them. This request was
granted, and eight were baptized in the name
of the "Triune God. " In 1804, anothermin-
ister of the gospel visited them and baptized
a few others in the adjoining stream. An or-
ganization was then effected. The congrega-
tion had a regular pastor for a term of but foar
years, and for nearly half a century later
was occasionally visited by different clergy-
men. The membership at one time increased
to fifty, under the Rev. Henry Essick, who
came there from Delaware County in 1842.
On this site is now located what is known as
"Kohler's Meeting House," in which dilfer-
ent denominations hold services. The Dover
Baptist Church, as an organization, has long
ago ceased to exist, but the adjoining ceme-
tery contains the remains of a large number
of persons who once were its members.

INTRODUCTIOX OF METHODISM.

The Methodist denomination, which is now
an influential church body in York County,
was introduced by the celebrated Rev. Free-
born Garretson. The first service was con-
ducted by him, January 24, 1781, at the pri-
vate house of James Worley, an Episcopalian,
who was a prosperous farmer, and resided on
the farm now owned by Jacob Loucks in
"West Manchester Township. His home was
not a hotel, as has been published. The
peculiar circumstances which brought Rev.
Garretson here at that time, were as follows:
James Worley had sent his teamster to Balti-
more with a load of flour in December. 1780.

The hired man was on his way home with
a load of store goods for a York merchant.
Twelve miles to the north of Baltimore, he
stopped over night at a tavern, and the next
morning found the way blockaded by a heavy
snow-fall. He sent home to his employer,
James Worley, to come to his rescue with
two additional horses. Mr. Worley went down,
and while stopping at the place over night
incidentally met the noted apostle of Method-
ism, Rev. Freeborn Garretson. On the night
of his arrival he heard him preach, and being
so delighted with his eloquence, Mr. Worley
invited him to come to York and stop with
him on his farm house, which invitation



the clergyman soon after accepted, and Mr.
Worley, although an Episcopalian, an-
nounced through the neighborhood and in
York, that Rev. Garretson would preach at
his house. A large audience assembled.
His sermon was based upon the following
words: "Old things shall be done away, and
all things become new." The next day he
left for Carlisle, stopping on his way and
preaching at Lewisberry, which was then
composed of but half a dozen houses. The
people in and around York were confused with
his new doctrines, and his sermon called forth
excited debates. He was invited to return.
In James Worley's farm-house he preached
several sermons. Being a man of great force of
character and eloquence, his preaching re-
sulted in securing Mr. Worley and his family
and many others to adopt his faith. Under
those circumstances the first Methodist congi-e-
gation was organized in the limits of York
County. A building, was soon after erected
in York, on the present site of the First
United Brethren Church. A permanent organ-
ization was formed at Lewisberry, and services
were held in the house of Hugh Foster, about
the same time that the York congregation was
organized. There are now churches of this
denomination in all the pm'ely English speak-
ing townships of York County, and the society
is steadily growing in numbers. Its member-
ship in the United States is very large. There
are a number of churches of the Methodist
Protestant denomination in Hopewell, Fawn
and Peach Bottom Townships.

ORIGIN OF THE EVANGELICAL ASSOCIATION IN
YORK COUNTY.

The Evangelical Association is an ecclesi-
astical body, which originated in Pennsyl-
vania in 1800. Its founder was Jacob Al-
bright, a man of limited education but earnest
piety. He was early in life a Lutheran ; after-
ward united with the Methodist Episcopal
Church. He began to preach in 1796, and in
1803 was ordained a minister of the gospel.
He labored among the Germans, and, as the
Methodist Episcopal Church was entirely
Engli.sh at that time, the congregations he
gathered banded themselves together into
a separate denomination, adopting the name
"Evangelical Association of North America",
sometimes called "Albright", after the
founder. In doctrine, the denomination is
Arminian. The church organization is similar
to that of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Bishops and presiding elders are elected
every four years by the general and annual
conferences respectively. The itinerant sys-
tem is practiced. The progress of the church



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY.



1



has been rapid, and, though originally Ger-
man, some conferences are now entirely in
English. The present numerical strength is
1,615 ministers and 124,554 lay-members.
The church has three bishops. "The Evan-
geliea! Messenger" and "Der Christliche
Botschafter" are the church organs.

The Evangelical Association was first in-
troduced into York County in 1810, by Revs.
John Erb and Matthias Betz, who established
three preaching places — one at the house oi
Jacob Klinefelter, in Shrewsbury Township,
about one mile south of Glen Rock; the sec-
ond at the house of John Seitz, in Springfield
Township; and the third at the house of
Adam Ettinger in Dover Township. The
eighth conference session of the association
was held at the house of Jacob Klinefelter
in 1815, at which there were fifteen ministers
present. In 1822, the members in the vicin-
ity of Shrewsbury united with the members
of the M. E. Church in building a log meet-
ing-house. This was the first church building
used by the association in York County, and
only the second in the association — the first
having been built at New Berlin, Union Coun-
ty, Pa. . in 1816. In 1827 a stone church was
built at Mount Zion, in Springfield Town-
ship, entirely by the Evangelical Association.
In 1831, under "the labors of Eevs. W. W. Or-
wig, G. Brickley, and J. Roesner, who had
charge of the work in thecovinty for that year,
an extensive revival took place in the Conojo-
hela valley. Among the families that united
with the church were those of J. G. Thomas,
Henry Thomas, Henry Burg, and J. A. Jacobs.
This was the beginning of the congregations
at Millersvi lie (Yorkana) and East Prospect.
In 1842, a mission was established in York,
with twelve members. George Brickley was
the first missionary. Rev. W. F. Swengel was
the first English missionary. From the orig-
inal work, commenced in the county in 1810,
eleven charges have grown, namely : York,
Queen Street, York, King Street, York Cir-
cuit, Prospect, Chanceford, Jarrettsville (Md.)
Shrewsbui-y, Glen Rock, Loganville, Dills-



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 79 of 218)