John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 86 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 86 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

continued his connection with that paper
until 1860; was chosen clerk of enrollment
of bills in the house of representatives at
Harrisburg, in 1836, and two yeai's later was
appointed by Gov. Porter to take charge of
the motive power of the Columbia & Phila-
delphia Railroad. In 1843, he became cashier
of the contingent fund of the house of rep-
resentatives at Washington; in 1847, was ap-
pointed by President Buchanan to have
charge of emigration and the copyright bu-
reau, in the department of State at Washing-
ton; in 1850 elected sergeant at-arms in the
United States House of Representatives, and
was re-elected to four successive congresses,
serving until I860, when he became private
secretary to President Buchanan; in 1862,
established the Philadelphia Age ; in 1862
nominated for Congress by the Democratic
Convention of York County against Joseph
Bailey, who had been elected as a Democrat to
the thirty, eighth Congress, but was repudiated

' by the party in York. The conferees of the
district met at Bridgeport. The York dele-
gates protested against Bailey, who in the
meantime had become "a good enough Repub-

j lican" to suit all the anti Democratic ele-
ments. The York conferees, headed by Hon.
Jere S. Black, retired from the conference,
and proclaimed their determination not to sup-
port Mr. Bailey. The conferees of Cumber-
land and Perry Counties adhered to Mr.
Bailey and placed him in nomination, while

t those of York maintained the position taken
by their count}' convention, and united in pre-
senting Mr. Glossbrenner. This course was
endorsed at the polls by a larger majority for
Mr. Glossbrenner than had ever been given for
any candidate of any party in the county.
The Democrats of Cumberland and Perry
Counties, however, aided by the entire Repub-
lican strength of the District, succeeded in

1 electing Bailey by a small majoritj-. In
1864, he was nominated by the Democratic
Congressional Conference of York, Cumber-

I land and Perry Counties without opposition,
and elected by 3,492 votes; in 1866 again

! nominated, and elected by 3,341 majority.
Mr Glossbrenner at present, 1885, is con-
nected with the Pennsylvania Railroad at


For Col. Henry Logan see Carroll Town-


For Dr. Gerry see Shrewsbury Townshij).


This ofdcer was born at York, and was
appointed to the military academy from
this congressional district. The follow-
ing record of his military services and
■ his civil history is taken from Cullum's
Register of Graduates of West Point.

Military History.— Cadet at the United
States Military Academy from July 1, 1833,
when he was graduated and promoted in the
ArmY to

Bvt. Second Lieut. 2d Artillery July 1, 18.38.

Served in garrison in Tennessee, and at
Fort Mitchell, Ala., 1833-34; at the military
academy as assistant instructor of Infantry
Tactics, March 18, 1834 to

[Second Lieut. 2d Artillery July 31, 1834.]
November 23, 1835, in the adjutant general's
office at Washington D. C. November 25,

[First Lieut. 2d Artillery November 1, 1836.1
1835 to July 7, 1838 as assistant adjutant-
general in adjutant-general's office.


[Capt. Staff Asst. Adjutant-Geueral, July 7, 1838.]
Washington 1838-39— in Florida War 1839,
in adjutant-general's office,

[Captain Sd Artilleiy, Aiigust 17, 1843 to June 18,

Washington, D. C, 1839-41— and at head-
quarters of Eastern Department, September
1, 1841, to July 31, 1846. Eesigned July 31,

Civil History. — Treasui-er of Saratoga &
Washington Kailroad Company, New York,
1847-52; of Saratoga & Schenectady Com-
pany, 1847-61, and of Rensselaer & Sara
toga Railroad Company, 1847-61; president
of Rensselaer & Saratoga Railroad 1851-61.

Military History. — Served during the Re-
bellion of the seceding States, 1861-66; as
Col. Staff-aide-de-camp to Gov. Morgan,
of New York, April to July 14, 1861 ;
in recruiting, organizing, and instructing his

[Lieut. Colonel, lltli Infantry, May 14, 1861.]
at Fort Independence, Mass., July 18, to
October 14, 1861, and atPerryville, Md., Oc-
tober 16, 1861, to March 15, 1862; as chief of
staff of First Corps (Army of the Potomac),
March 15, 1862, to January, 1863; in the
advance upon and occupation
[Col. StafE— additional aide-de-camp May 18, 1863.]
of Fredericksburg, Va., May 25, 1862; in
the Shenandoah campaign, June to July,
1862; as chief of staff of First Corps, in
northern Virginia campaign August to Sep-
tember, 1862, being engaged in the battle of
Cedar Mountain, August 9, 1862; passage
of the Rappahannock, Aitgust 24-27, 1862;
battle of Manassas, August 29-30, 1862;
battle of Chantilly, September 1, 1862 as
acting inspector

[Col. Staff— Inspector General U. S. Army,
Mareh 13, 1863.]
general, January-March, 1863, and inspector
general, March 13, 1863, to March 22, 1865,
of the Army of the Potomac being engaged
with at the battle of Chancellorsville (Rap-
pahannock campaign) May 2-4, 1863; bat-
tle of Gettysburg July 1-3, 1863, (Pennsyl
vania campaign), and bearer to the War De-
partment of thirty- one battle flags, and other
trophies of victory from that field, pursuit
of the Rebel Army through Virginia, ending
with the Mine Run expedition, November
30, 1863, and in the Richmond campaign
from the Rapidan to

[Bvt. Brig. General, U. S. Army, August 1,

1864, for faithful and meritorious

services in the field.]

Petersburg; on special duty under orders of

the secretary of war, March 22, to

[Bvt. Maj. -General, U. S. Arm}^ March 13,
186.5, for meritorious and distin-
guished services during
the Rebellion.]
June 23, 1865; on totu- of inspection of quar-
termaster depots June 28 to August 23,
1865; ill waiting orders August 23 to October
7,1865; on tour of inspection October 7 to No-
vember 30,1865; on special duty in secretary
of war's office, and in charge of inspection

bureau, December 10, 1865, to ;

as inspector of military academy July 30.
1866, to April 15, 1871; on tour of inspection

I in Texas, New Mexico and Kansas, and of
the recruiting service, October 1872 to Jan u-

1 ary 25, 1873; in preparing reports in Wash-
ington, particularly about the affairs in the
Freedmen's Bureau, January to October, 1873 ;
on duty in the War Department October, 1873,

I to May, 1876; as inspector of the Division

of the Pacific, May 29, 1876, to -, and as

member of Retiring Board at San Francisco,
Cal., November 16 to December 15, 1877;
and of board to examine the case of Dr. Ham-
mond, late surgeon general, "United States
Army, November 19, 1878. Retired January
4, 1881, being over sixty-two years of age.


William B. Franklin was born in York,
Penn., February 27, 1823. He was appointed
to the military academy from this district
and graduated at West Point, in 1843, at the
head of his class. In the summer of 1845 he
accompanied Brig. -Gen. Kearney on an expe-
dition to the South Pass of the Rocky Moun-
tains. In the war with Mexico he served on
the staff of Gen. Taylor at the battle of Buena
Vista, and was breveted first lieutenant for
his part in it. In 1848 he became assistant-
professor of natural and experimental phil
osophy at West Point. In 1852 he was ap-
pointed professor of the same science, to-
gether with civil engineering at the New
York City Free Academy. During the next
eight years he was continually employed as
I consulting engineer and inspector on various
j public works. He was engineer secretary of
the lighthouse board, and superintendent of
1 the capitol extension, and other government
! buildings in Washington, D. C.
I In May 14, 1861, he was appointed colonel
I of the Twelfth Regiment of Infantry, and in
I July was assigned a brigade in Heintzelman's
division of the army of northeast Virginia.
At the disastrous battle of Bull Run, accord-
ing to the official report of Gen. McDowell,
he was "in the hottest of the fight." In Au-
I gust he was made brigadier-general of volun-
1 teers, his commission to date from May 17.
I 1861. In September he was appointed to


the command of a division in the Army of the
Potomac. He was sent to reinforce Gen.
McClellan. After the evacuation of York-
town he transported his division by water to
West Point, on York River, and repulsed the
enemy under Gens. "Whiting and G. _W.
Smith, who attempted to prevent his landing
May 7. 1S62, _ j

During the movement to the James Eiver, ,
which began June 27, he repulsed the enemy i
on the right bank of the Chickahominy, June '
27 and 2S. and again in conjunction with the
corps of Gen. Summer at Savage's Station,
June 29 also commanded at battle of White
Oak Swamp bridge on the 30th. He was pro-
moted to rank of major-general of vokuiteers
July 4, previously having been appointed
brevet brigadier-general in regular army, June
4. In the battle of South Mountain Septem-
ber 14, he distinguished himself by storm- \
ing Crampton's Gap. He was m the battle
of Antietam, September 17. and in November
was placed in command of the left grand
division of the Ai-my of the Potomac, includ-
ing the First and" Sixth Corps, which he
commanded in the battle of Fredericksburg,
December 13. The nest year he was trans-
ferred to the department of the Gulf, com-
manded the expedition to Sabine Pass, 1863,
and was second in command in Bank's Red
Eiver expedition, April, 1864, being in the
battle of Sabine Cross Roads. His capture
by and escape from Maj. Harry Gilmore, of
the Confederate Army, which occurred near
Baltimore, when he was on his way from
Washington to New York, is a very interesting
chapter of his life. He was breveted major-
general in United States Army in 1865, and
resigned March 15. 1866. He is now vice-
president of Colt's Manufacturing Company,
of Hartford, Conn., and has held many
positions of trust in his adopted city and
State. He was consulting engineer of the
commission for the erection of the new State
House. He is a director of the Connec-
ticut Mutual Life Insurance Company and
holds several other positions of prominence
and responsibility.

In 1875 he was one of the commissioners
of the Centennial Exposition, chairman of
the department of engineering and architec-
ture. In the same year he was chosen one
of the electors for president from that State
throwing his vote for Tilden. In June. ISSO,
he was elected by Congress a member of the
board of changers of the National House for
Disabled Volunteer Soldiers. In July, 18S0,
he was elected president and treasurer of the
board. His term expired in 1884, when he
was re-elected to serve for six years.


Granville Owen Haller born in York,
Penn , January 31, 1819; education contined
to private schools in York and the York
County Academy, Rev. Stephen Boyer, prin-
cipal, and Daniel Kirkv^^ood, assistant,
teacher; served several years in the store of
Jacob and Charles Weiser; was an applicant
for West Point Military Academy, 1839.
Rev. Dr. Cathcart, as president of the
board of trustees of York County Academy,
signed the resolutions of that body, strongly
recommending him; was invited by Secretary
of War Joel R. Poinsett to Washington,
D. C, to appear before a board of military ',
otScers for examination ; received the commis- j
sion of second lieutenant Fourth United
States Infantry to rank from 17th of Novorn-^
ber, 1839 (not then quite twenty-one years
of age); served in the Indian Territory
1X40-41; was ordered by Gen. Zachariah
Taylor to muster and feed a large body of
deistitute wild Indians; removed by the
United States dragoons from the Choctaw
and Chickasaw country into the Creek
Indian limits near the mouth of Little River,
until the new corn was far enough advanced
for them to feed themselves, a novel but
interesting duty. Six companies of the
Fourth Infantry proceeded to Florida, fall
of 1841, from Fort Gibson; Lieut. Haller
was with his Company (A), and present under
fire in the Big Cyprus, Maj. Belknap, Third
Infantry, commanding, and at the closing
engagement at Palaklikaha (which led to the
surrelider of Halleck Tustewugga's band),
Col. Worth, Eighth Infantry, commanding.

When the Fourth Infantry was ordered to
Jefferson Barracks, Mo., 1842, Lieut. Haller,
acting adjutant, was ordered to relieve the
assistant surgeon United States Army at
New Orleans. La. , and receive and receipt
for his medicines and instruments; lost
only one man by death on the trip, out of a
numerous sick list; was appointed adjutant
Fourth Infantry, January 1, 1843; resigned
September 10. 1845; promoted to first lieu-
tenant, July 12, 1846; was part of the army
of observation on the border of Texas, army
of occupation on St. Joseph's Island and at
Corpus Christi, and army of invasion in
Mexico, under Gen. Z. Taylor, 1845-46-47;
was brigade major Third Brigade; marched
overland from the Rio Nueces to the Rio
\ Grande; was relieved as brigade major, and
as assistant commissary was assigned to
j that duty in Third Brigade; receipted for
and was responsible for all the subsistence

'■■An Autobiography.


41 »

stores; taken from Brazos St.Iagowith Gen.
Taylor's army to Fort Brown, when met by
the Mexican Army and the battles of Palo
Alto, May 8th, and Kesaca de la Palma, May
9, 1846, were fought; acted as aide-de-camp
to Lieut. -Col. John Garland, commanding
Third Brigade, during the action; invoiced
the immense supplies of subsistence stores,
captured at Eesaca from the Mexican Army,
and took them up on his returns of subsist-
euce; crossed the Eio Grande with Amer-
ican Army, which took possession of Mata-
moras; marched to Comargo. thence with
army subsistence in wagons to Monterey. In
addition to assistant commanding Third Brig-
ade, was assigned the duties of acting
quarter-master and assistant commissary
of subsistence to First Division, Gen. Twiggs

On Gen. Worth's division moving to the
Saltillo Koad, vast supplies of subsistence
stores were abandoned for want of transpor-
tation, when Lieut. Haller was directed to
take up all the army provisions and make
issues to the several brigades. The impor-
tance of economizing at this time and mak-
ing the subsistence hold out, was a source of
great anxiety to Gen. Taylor, who greatly
enlarged his (Haller' s) authority, and threw
upon Haller great responsibility.

"When Gen. Scott's expedition to Vera
Cruz was organized, the Fourth Infantry
was transferred from Gen. Twigg's First Di-
vision to Gen. Worth's division, now desig-
nated First Division. As officers who com-
manded companies, were at the same time
assistant commissaries of subsistence, and
could not at the same moment be with the
company in action and superintending the
issues of provisions, Gen. Worth directed
such officers to select which of the two duties
they preferred. Lieut. Haller preferred
commanding his company, and thereupon
turned over his commissary duties to Lieut.
U. S. Grant, ex-president, and late general
United State Army, deceased.

Lieut. Haller served under Gen. Scott
with Company (C), worked in the trenches
before Vera Cruz; commanded the guard
who received the infantry arms at the for-
'mal surrender of the Vera Cruz garrison.
Marched on foot the entire distance from
Vera Cruz to the city of Mexico; was
engaged at Cerro Gordo; was with the
advance that took possession of the castle of
Perote; also at Amazoque, when Santa Anna,
with his cavalry, made his descent to cut off
Gen. Worth's command, and in the triumph-
ant entry into the city of Pueblo; fought
in the several battles before the Citv of Mex-

ico and in the valley while approaching;
was breveted captain, September 8th, and
breveted major, September 13, 1847; re-
ceived his commission of captain Fourth
Infantry to rank from 1st of January, 1848;
commanded a battalion at the city of Pueblo
(while Col. Albert Bamsay, of York, com-
manding Eleventh Infantry, was commander)
as the war closed, and conducted it to New
Orleans, where he mustered the men out of
service; was placed on recruiting service
in Baltimore, Md. , 1848-49-50; was mar-
ried in York, Penn., June 21, 1849, to
Miss Henrietta M. Cox; rejoined his com-
pany (I) at Fort Howard, Wis., in 1850; in
1852 was ordered to the Pacific coast; sailed
around Cape Horn, stopped at Montevideo
on the Atlantic side, and at the Robinson
Crusoe Islands (Juan Fernandez) on the
Pacific side; was seven months on this voy-
age. After a short stay at Fort Vancoouver,
Wash. T.,was stationed at Fort Dalles, Greg.,
1853-56; made two campaigns from Fort
Dalles into the Snake Indian country, be-
tween the Hudson Bay old forts of Boise
and Hall, to chastise the murderers of the
Ward party, and give protection to the im-
migrants; hung a number of the assassins.
Returning from the second expedition, found
the Indians along the Columbia River
greatly excited and preparing for war; as-
certained and reported the murder of Maj.
Boland, the Indian agent, expecting imme-
diate orders to chastise the offenders; and
organized the recruits and old garrison into
two companies of fifty men each, with ammu-
nition and provisions, ready to move at a
moment's warning.

Orders for one company to march, and
that for another purpose, were received. To
delay for further orders involved responsibil-
ity about as much as to march with both
companies, and Haller assumed the responsi-
bility to move with both companies. On the
fifth day a "oody of hostile Indians disputed
his approach to Toppinish Creek, resulting
in a brisk tight, in which the Indians were
driven off, leaving the field in his possession,
however, next day the Indians collected by
thousands (Father Pandoza, a Catholic priest,
held by the Indians in duress, says there were
1,500 Indians), and surrounded the com-
mand. I'ortunately, they were not provided
with many guns, and fought in small
detachments, at different points, at dif-
ferent times making the assaults less for-
midable than if delivered simultaneously.
The want of grass for the animals, and
water for men and animals, obliged the
command on the second night to fall back.


towards Fort Dalles; in the darkness the rear
guard (forty strong) took the wrong trail,
and the advance, waiting for its rear to close
up imtil daylight came, found its" small body,
reduced by wounded men, exposed to the
assaults of the Indians, now flushed with
triumph, but marched successfully in retreat
for several miles, when a suitable place for
defense was found, and the Indians finally
•driven by a bayonet charge from their only
point of attack, when the soldiers were
allowed to return to the Dalles unmolested.
The loss was five killed and seventeen

Subsequently Maj. Eaines, Fourth In-
fantry, commanding the district with five or
six companies of regulars, and six companies
of Col. Nesmith's (afterward senator) Regi-
ment Oregon Volunteer Cavalry, invaded this
same country; encountered the Yakima tribe
with some neighboring Indians, who kept
the entire command at bay one entire day.
Toward sundown, while the command was
encamped, the warriors presumed upon the
white man's hesitation, and became aggressive,
and descended from their butte, tired upon
the soldiers, when Maj. Haller, with his
company, made a charge and brushed the
flushed Indians from the timber and their
elevated position without the loss of a man.
The Indians, finding the whites too many for
them, withdrew. '

Col. George Wright, Ninth Infantry, with
a new regiment, and provided with rifles and
mini^-ball, was assigned to the command of
the district and took the field. Finding the
Indians disposed to fight, he ordered Maj.
Haller' s company (left to garrison Fort
Dalles) to join him in the field, and the
forces he presented to the Indians, when he
offered them peace, or war to the death, sat-
isfied the Indians that resistance would be
suicidal, and they thereupon accepted his

A major's command was left under charge
of Brevet Maj. Haller, in the Kittetas Val-
ley, for observation, which, being near the
families of the Indians, disposed them to
preserve peace. Hostilities east of the Cas-
cade Mountains having terminated, was or-
dered to Port Townsend, on Puget Sound,
to establish a military station, where the in-
habitants of that section could find an asy-
lum in case of Indian raids, as the Indians
fi-om the British and Russian possessions
frequently would come into the American
waters and indulge in acts of war. They
killed, and carried off the head, of the ex-
collector of customs. Col. Isaac N. Ebey, to
avenge the death of a Hyda (Russian) chief

killed by the discharge of a cannon on the
United States steamer "Massachusetts," when
his band defied the navy,iipon being ordered
to return to their own country.

Maj. Haller participated throughout 1859
in the San Juan Island imbroglio. Some
young Indians of the Lummi tribe put on
their war paint, and with arms entered What-
com and demanded the release of their chief,
who was supposed by them to be confined.
They killed one white man, when the citizens
fired on them and killed several. Maj. Hal-
ler was at the time f)atrolling the archipelago,
and was sent for, and immediately marched
into their location and demanded the perpe-
trators, and brought them away as hostages;
further trouble would have been dangerous
to the scattered parties of the boundary com-
mission, if not have suspended their labors.

In ISIjO Maj. Haller was ordered into Ari-
zona to relieve a company of the Sixth In-
fantry, at Fort Mojave. The Indians had
been very hostile and fought with determined
bravery against the company just leaving.
But Maj. Haller, having taken his family
along, the chief, Irataba, assuming that he
would not take his family into danger, in-
ferred that he had come to establish peace and
not make war, instructed his warriors to be
obedient to the "Majore's" orders, and
friendly relations were firmly established,
' which greatly aided the development of the
mines of precious ores in that region. Mrs.
Haller and her family were great objects of
curiosity to the Mojave Indians, being the
first time they had ever seen wife or child
belonging to an officer. They became trou-
blesome by lining the windows while at
meals to see mother and children.

The secession movement called his com-
pany to San Diego, Cal., and thence to Wash-
ington, D. C. , where he found himself pro-
moted to major of the Seventh Infantry, vice
Maj. Lynde, who had surrendered his regi-
ment to the Texan forces in New Mexico,
and put the Seventh Infantry on parole.
Maj. Haller not being on parole, applied for
active service, and was assigned to Gen.
McClellan's army, as assistant provost-mar-
shal on Gen. Andrew Porter's staff. To Maj.,
Haller was assigned the duty to draw up reg-
ulations to govern the regiments and large
bodies of troops in the secession country,
which can be found in Gen. McClellan's re-
port — the orders verbatim — which afterward
were repudiated by Gen. Pope, who soon
realized the penalty for disregarding such
recognized usages of war by rousing every
inhabitant to active hostility, and furnishing
his enemy with information.


Gen. McClellan experienced difficultly in
findincr his staff officers' tents after the day's
march, and appointed ]Maj. Haller the com-
mandant-general of general headquarters,
with instructions to select suitable camping
grounds, and keep his general staff conven-
iently together. His arrangements proved
satisfactory to Gens. McClellan, Burnside
and Hooker, having a regiment (Ninety-third
Nev? York Volunteers) placed under his com-
mand, and acting as a staff officer of the gen-
eral commanding, and as commandant of
general headquarters guard and provost-mar-
shal's guard for prisoners of war.

Exposure to the hot sun daily caused an
eruption on his cheek (impetigo), and ren-
dered a change to indoor duty necessary.
Gen. Frye, provost marshal-general of the
army, assigned him to duty as provost-mar-
shal-general for Maryland, but Gov. Brad-
ford, of that State, had previously recom- ■
mended a certain Maryland volunteer officer
for the position to the secretary of war, and,
finding his recommendation -disregarded, felt
offended with the war department when Maj.
Haller made an official visit.

Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 86 of 218)