borough, and grand-daughter of Henry Wallis of Brisbane, Co. Cork, and who died in 1877,
aged 80, he had Henry Wallis, D.D., minister of Kirknewton and East Calder, who died
November, 1885 ; John Guthrie of Mugdock and of William Euing & Co., Glasgow ; William,
a colonel in the Royal Artillery ; and James George of Bombay and Liverpool, all of whom
have married and have families ; and Jane Cuningham, who married John Macredie, of the
Perceton family, and who died in 1862 ; and Helen Catherine, unmarried.
THE PARISH OF STRA THBLANE.
THE m'INDOES of CARBETH.
James M'Indoe, the last of a long line of lairds of Carbeth, married Jean
Graham, but died without issue. His brother, Robert M'Indoe, had by his
marriage three sons — Walter, Charles, and Archibald, and one daughter, Mary.
I. Walter M'Indoe, son of Robert M'Indoe and nephew of James M'Indoe,
last of Carbeth, was a merchant in Virginia, U.S., and died unmarried.
II. Charles M'Indoe, his brother, also went to Virginia, but returning home
married, firstly, Todd, by whom he had a son and a daughter, who both
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
died unmarried ; secondly, Janet Buchanan, by whom he had a son and a
daughter — (i) John M'Indoe, who married Elizabeth, daughter of the late
Andrew Macgeorge, and had two sons, Charles and John, who both married
and had issue, and four daughters, and (2) Jane Brown, of whom afterwards.
III. Archibald M'Indoe, calico printer at Barrhead, married Mrs. Robertson,
a widow, and had several children, who all died in infancy. Mr. Archibald
M'Indoe lived at Leddriegreen, Strathblane, in his latter days.
IV. Mary M'Indoe married Francis Adam and had eight sons and five
daughters — (i) Francis Adam, died young; (2) Robert Adam, died young; (3)
James Graham Adam, married his cousin, Jane Brown M'Indoe, daughter of
Charles M'Indoe, and had issue — four sons and seven daughters ; (4) Francis
Adam, married and had issue ; (5) Archibald, married and had issue ; (6) John,
married and had issue; (7) and (8) sons who died in infancy. Of Mary
M'Indoe and Francis Adam's five daughters, one died in infancy, one was
unmarried, and three were married, viz., Mrs. John Allan, Mrs. Alexander
Galloway, and Mrs. David Stevenson. Mrs. John Allan had a large family —
four sons and six daughters. Francis W. Allan, merchant in Glasgow and a
well-known Volunteer officer, is her second son.
WESTER CARBETH, OR GARVEL, OR GARCHILL.
Wester Carbeth, or Garvel, or Garchill = Caerchoill — " the fort of the wood,"
is a three and four penny land. It is part of the original undivided two merk
land of Carbeth, being about the half of the fourth part thereof feued to John
M'Indoe. the tenant upon it in 1631. This John M'Indoe, or one of his im-
mediate successors, sold half of his fourth to a family of Ronalds, and part of it
is now in Carbeth Guthrie,^ and part belongs to the Duke of Montrose, the
superior of the whole. The half which John M'Indoe did not sell, and which got
the name of Garvel or Wester Carbeth, remained with his descendants, a -succes-
sion of Johns, the last of whom married Isabella Freeland, daughter of Archibald
^ See Carbeth Guthrie.
THE BARONY OF MUGDOCK. 47
Freeland in Broadgate, Strathblane; and on his death, without children, in 1863,
in terms of his settlement, it passed to his brother-in-law, James Freeland, his
wife being life-rented in it. Garvel extends to about 44 acres, and contains in
it a small portion of the lands of Sunnybank, part of Auchengillan,i which John
Guthrie excambed with John M'Indoe, father of the last laird, in 181 7 for
parts of his lands.^ The last John M'Indoe sold a small strip of ground,
about an acre and a half, to the late George Wilson of Aucheneden when he
was making his new avenue in 1855 ; and in 1863 about half an acre more was
sold to Aucheneden. There has been no change on the lands of Garvel
The lands of Craigallian and Ballochalary, which is the correct name of what
is usually called " The Boards," and about one fourth of the lands of Carbeth,
make up the present estate of Craigallian. It lies south-east of Carbeth
The name Craigallian means "Beautiful Rock," and the place originally was
so called doubtless from the picturesque cliffs which overhang the eastern side
of the fine loch on the estate. Craigallian and Ballochalary from an early
date were conjoined, but it was not till 1784 that part of Carbeth was added
to the estate.
Craigallian and Ballochalary were feued off the Barony of Mugdock by
James Earl of Montrose, with- consent of his curators, to Walter Robison, who
was tenant in one of the Ballewans, conform to feu charter dated 22nd August,
1632. The instrument of sasine is recorded 26th February, 1634, and after
the young Earl attained majority there was a ratification of these deeds dated
27th August, 1642.'^ Walter Robison was succeeded by his son John^ and by
his grandson, another John, and by the latter the lands were alienated to John
^ See Carbeth Guthrie.
-Old John M'Indoe had a public-house on his property, the same which now exists, and
no doubt he made more money from it than from his peaty acres ; he resolved, therefore, there
should be no opposition from Mr. Guthrie at least, for already he was sorely beset. A mile
south of him was Auld Marroch public-house ; half a mile north on Auchengillan was another ;
and a quarter of a mile east, refreshments for man and beast were to be found in one of the old
houses stiil standing on the edge of Craigallian estate, immediately south of the lake in the
policies of Carbeth Guthrie. A fifth public-house within a radius of one mile was clearly out
of the question, so, probably more from a desire to protect himself than with a view of pro-
moting sobriety in the district, he made it a burden on the parts of his lands he excambed
with Mr. Guthrie that no spirituous liquor should ever be sold in any house built on them.
^ Craigallian Writs.
■*The testament dative and inventory of goods of the deceased "John Robisoune of
Craigallethan," who died within the parish of " Strablaine " in June, 1664, is given up by
Margaret Craig, his relict. John Craig of Cult is cautioner. — Cojii. of Glasgow, vol. 31.
48 THE PARISH OF STRA7HBLANE.
Bryson younger, merchant in Glasgow. The deeds relating to this sale are
dated 23rd January and 2nd March, 1696.^
The new laird of Craigallian came of a family who had long held a high
place in the City of Glasgow. His father was Bailie Bryson, and his mother
Jean, daughter of Edward Robertson, merchant in Glasgow, a cadet of the old
family of Struan. The Bailie's father was another John Bryson, merchant in
Glasgow, and his mother was Margaret Hill, daughter of Ninian Hill of Garioch,
merchant in Glasgow, and Helen Hutcheson, sister of George and Thomas
Hutcheson, the founders of the Hospital and School which bear their name.^
John Bryson of Craigallian married about 17 14 Elizabeth, daughter of
Zachary Maxwell, and sister of Sir John Maxwell of Pollok, and on his death
about 1749 his three daughters, Isobel, Marion, and Jean, succeeded as heiresses
portioners. They were all by this time married, Isobel to Robert Dreghorn,
merchant in Glasgow, soon afterwards of Blochairn ; Marion to John Hamilton
of Barns and Cochna, merchant in Glasgow; and Jean to David Leitch, also
merchant there. ^
These ladies did not hold the estate long, but with the consent of their several
spouses sold it in 1751 to John Park, residing at Craigallian, and he almost
immediately resold it to John Colquhoun of Hillhead, writer and clerk to the
Regality of Glasgow.'*
John Colquhoun was fifth son of Andrew Colquhoun of Garscadden.^ He
died childless about 1784, and left Craigallian and Ballochalary to his nephew,
James Colquhoun, second son of his brother William Colquhoun of Garscadden.
The Colquhouns were then and still are a great family in Dumbartonshire,
and then as now had a great taste for acquiring land, and this James, who
succeeded his uncle in the Craigallian estate, was already a Strathblane laird,
^ Craigallian Writs,
"^ Hist, of Hutchesons' Hospital, pp. 14 and 15, Wm. H. Hill.
^Robert Dreghorn was younger brother of Allan Dreghorn of Ruchill, but predeceased him.
By Isobel Bryson, his wife, he had a son Robert, afterwards of Blochairn and Ruchill, in which he
succeeded his uncle Allan. He was the "Bob Dragon" of Glasgow fame. Elizabeth, who died
unmarried, and Margaret, who was second wife of James Dennistoun of Colgrain. Mrs. Dennis-
toun had four daughters, who eventually succeeded to their uncle's fortune — Isabella Bryson, who
married Gabriel Hamilton Dundas of Westburn and Duddingston, and had issue ; Janet Baird,
who married Hugh Maclean of Coll, and had issue ; Elizabeth Dreghorn, who married Sir
Duncan Campbell of Barcaldine, Bart., and had issue; and Mary Lyon, who married Sir Wil-
liam Baillie of Polkemmet, Bart., and had issue.
John Hamilton of Barns and Marion Bryson are the grand-parents of Miss Grace Hamil-
ton, the venerable proprietrix of Barns and Cochna, in the neighbouring parish of East Kil-
David Leitch and Jean Bryson were the ancestors of the Yuilles of Darleith and others.
^ Craigallian Writs.
•'' The Colquhouns of Garscadden and Klillermont are descended from John, second son of
John Colquhoun, 7th of Camstradden, 1530-63, an early cadet of Luss. — Chiefs of Colquhoun,
vol. ii. p. 189.
THE BARONY OF MUGDOCK. ^o
having in 1758, 1775, and 1780 acquired successively parts of Carbeth from
Walter M'Indoe, Gilbert Ware, and James M'Indoe,i descendants of two of the
old tenants on the original two merk land of Carbeth.
Craigallian, Ballochalary, and about a quarter of the original Carbeth,^ were
thus united into one estate in 1784, and have so continued to the present day.
James Colquhoun of Craigallian and Garscadden, to the latter of Avhich he
had succeeded on the death of his brother William, died unmarried in 1801
and was succeeded in Garscadden by his nephew, William Dalzell Colquhoun,
W.S.,3 and in Craigallian by his sister Jean and the same nephew as heirs
portioners. The laird of Garscadden died in 1806 and was succeeded by his
aunt, Miss Jean Colquhoun. She and his trustees sold the Craigallian estate
in 1807 to Adam Graham, and when she died unmarried in 1821 Garscadden
fell into the Killermont family of Colquhouns.
Adam Graham who thus purchased Craigallian was a younger son of William
Graham of Lymekilns, the head of an old family long settled in the parish of
East Kilbride in Lanarkshire. He died in 1824 after having executed a Dis-
position and Deed of Entail under which his grand-nephew John Graham,
second son of Alexander Graham of Lymekilns, succeeded.
John Graham, or as he was afterwards styled John Graham Barns-Graham,
when he succeeded to Lymekilns and the Ayrshire estate, was a pronounced
politician of the Liberal type, and possessed of great influence in Lanark-
shire and Renfrewshire, perhaps somewhat eccentric, and with peculiar
views of his own as to the management of his estates, but withal a thoroughly
agreeable acquaintance and firm friend, well informed, conversational, and
hospitable. He died a bachelor in 1875, ^^d Lymekilns, Craigallian, and his
other estates were inherited by his cousin, Allan Graham, eldest surviving son of
Patrick Graham of Robshill, by Janet, daughter of Allan Pollok of Faside.^
^ Craigallian Writs.
- The Craigallian part of Carbeth consists of the whole or nearly so of the fourth part, or
six and eight penny land, of the two merk land of Carbeth, which was feued 14th April, 1632,
to Gilbert Ware, and sold by his great-great-grandson, another Gilbert Ware or Weir, to Tames
Colquhoun in 1775. It consists also of small parts of the other fourth of Carbeth, feued at the
same time to James M'Indoe, and it was his great-grandson, Walter M'Indoe, and great-great-
grandson, James M'Indoe, who were the sellers to the Colquhouns.
3 William Dalzell Colquhoun, W.S., was the sen of Margaret Colquhoun, sister of James
Colquhoun of Garscadden and Craigallian, and David Dalzell, her husband, merchant in Glas-
gow. William Dalzell Colquhoun married Elizabeth Glen, youngest daughter of Sir Islay
Campbell of Succoth, Bart., and died s. p. in Edinburgh, 28th January, 1806.
^ These estates were : — In Lanarkshire — Lymekilns, including Bogton and Shieldburn ; Cambus-
lang, including Westburn, Gilbertfield, Overton, Kirkhill, and Chapel. \xv Renfrewshire — Fereneze,
including Capellie, Killock, Boyleston, and other farms ; also public works and part of Barrhead, and
Greenhaggs. In Ayrshire — Kirkhill, including Hobsland and Fairylees, Auchenharvie, Overloch-
ridge, and Laigh Fenwick. In Stirlingshire — Craigallian, including Ballochalary and parts of
CO THE PARISH OF STRATHBLANE.
A fine old-fashioned mansion, built by the Brysons, stood on the site of the
house just built, but after the Colquhouns ceased to live at Craigallian it was
occupied in part only, and gradually falUng into ruins, was taken down about 1850,
and replaced by a convenient farm-house, which for many years was occupied by
the tenant of the farm. After some additions and improvements, it was occupied
in 1878 by Mr. Lindsay Small, who was then acting as factor for Mr. Barns-
Graham, his brother-in-law. In the summers of 1881 and 1882 Mr. Barns-Graham
lived in it himself, and in the autumn of 1883 it was taken down to make way for
the present handsome house, which was finished in the autumn of 1885 and is
now occupied by the laird and his promising family.
THE GRAHAMS OF LYMEKILNS, IN THE PARISH OF EAST KILBRIDE AND COUNTY OF
LANARK, AND OF CRAIGALLIAN IN STRATHBLANE.
This branch of the Grahams has long been settled at Knocklegoil, re-named, in
the time of Laird Patrick Graham, Lymekilns — a good name changed into a very
commonplace one, though undoubtedly the laird was right, for " Lymekillis," part
of the "terrse dominicales de Kilbride," is mentioned in a deed dated nth March,
1 541.1 This Patrick Graham of Lymekilns was born in 1658. His v/ife was
Margaret Lindsay, a lady descended from the old Cambuslang families of
Cunningham of Gilbertfield and Hamilton of Westburn, and whose estates both
eventually came by purchase into the Craigallian family.
Patrick Graham had many children, and on his death in 1733 his eldest sur-
viving son, William, succeeded.
William Graham of Lymekilns, born in 1697, was the father by Jean Reid,
daughter of John Reid of Kittochside, of a large family, the eldest of whom, Patrick,
succeeded his father in Lymekilns, and the youngest, Adam, who was born in
1742, was the purchaser in 1807 of Craigallian.
Patrick Graham of Lymekilns was born in 1722. His wife was Margaret,
daughter of Alexander Urie of Holmhead, and by her he had, with others, Alex-
ander, his successor, and John of Robshill, the grandfather of Allan Graham
Barns-Graham, now of Craigallian and Lymekilns, etc. Patrick Graham died in
Alexander Graham of Lymekilns married Margaret Cochrane, and had six
I. Patrick, who inherited the Lanarkshire estates of Lymekilns, Dripps, Bogton,
Shieldburn, and others, and who assumed the name of Barns in 1850. The reason
he assumed the name of Barns was this : —
^ Reg. l\Iag. Sig., A.D. 1541, 28 Jac. V.
THE BARONY OF MUGDOCK.
John Barns of Kirkhill, in Ayrshire, son of Robert Barns of Kirkhill,^ was a
merchant in Glasgow, and in 1789 entailed his estate on a certain line of heirs.
He had two sisters, Jean, wife of
John Picken of Ibrox, and J\largaret,
wife of Alexander Urie of Holmhead.
Mrs. Jean Picken had a daughter,
Jean, who married Alexander Steven-
son, physician in Glasgow, and of
Dalgairn, Ayrshire, and had a son,
James Stevenson, who succeeded his
grand-uncle, John Barns, in 1791, and
assumed his name in terms of the
entail. 2 He rose to be Lieutenant-
General Sir James Stevenson Barns,
K.C.B., and died without issue in
1850. Mrs. Margaret Urie, John
Barns' other sister, had a daughter,
Margaret, who married, as already
shown, Patrick Graham of Lyme-
kilns, and on Sir James Stevenson
Bams' death in 1850, her grandson, armorial bearings of allan graham barns-graham
. OF craigallian,
Patrick Graham of LymekllnS, sue- As registered and matriculated in the Lycn Office.
ceeded him, and in terms of the entail assumed the name and arms of Barns.
2. John, the heir of his grand-uncle, Adam, in Craigallian, and possessor of the
estate of Cambuslang and part of Fereneze.
3. Alexander of Capelhe and Boyleston.
4. William, who died young.
5. Hugh, who also died young.
6. James of Fereneze.
Alexander Graham of Lymekilns had two daughters who grew up, Elizabeth,
who lived to a good old age, and died at Lymekilns, greatly and widely respected ;
and Agnes, who married Woronzow Greig, son of the celebrated authoress, Mrs.
Sommerville, by her first marriage.
Alexander Graham of Lymekilns died 27th March, 1820, and was succeeded in
turn as Laird of Lymekilns by his sons, Patrick, Alexander, and John of Craig-
allian. These all died childless, and on the death of John Graham Barns-Graham
^ This family were merchants in Glasgow early in the seventeenth century, John Barnes being
Dean of Guild in 1631.
^ Dr. Stevenson had also John, afterwards of Dalgairn, an advocate, who died unmarried, and
Jane, who also died unmarried.
-2 THE PARISH OF STRATHBLANE.
in 1875, the united estates of the whole family passed, as already shown, to their
first cousin once removed, Allan Graham, who thereupon became Allan Graham
Barns-Graham of Lymekilns, Craigallian, and the other estates. 1
The estate of Craigend which adjoins Craigallian is composed of several parts
of the Barony of Mugdock, and part of Easter Mugdock or Mugdock Mitchell,
acquired at different times by the Smiths, originally tenants and afterwards for
about two hundred years lairds of it. Their first acquisition was but a small
one, being little more, in fact, than the site of their house and garden and
grass for a cow or two. It is described in the original feu charter as " that
house and land with the pasturage and pertinents called the Craigend of Mug-
dock, extending to ten acres or thereby, being a proper part and pertinent of
the twenty shilling land of the Park of Mugdock." 2 The date was 1657, and
the person to whom it was feued, by James second Marquis of Montrose, was
William Graham, ^brother of John Graham of Peach, but there was added an
express reservation in favour of Robert Smith, then a minor, to the effect that
he was to have an opportunity of redeeming the house and land on certain
John Smith, father of this Robert, was the last of a long line of tenants in
Craigend. His wife was Margaret, daughter of James Graham of Peach. John
Smith died in 1647 when his son was only three years old. In 1670 Robert
Smith married Marion, daughter of John Fergus of Baldernock, and assisted by
her portion he was enabled to redeem his land and become first laird of Craig-
end. At this time and for long afterwards Craigend was often called the
Gallowknowe or Gallowhill. The first addition to Craigend was made in 1734,
when James Smith, who is styled "of Gallowhill," bought from John Graham
his cousin the lands of
PEACH OR PEITCH, AND OLD PARK.
This was a six shilling and eight penny land of old extent, and was one
^ Patrick Graham of Robshill, W.S., son of John Graham of Robshill and grandson of Patrick
Graham of Lymekilns, married Janet, daughter of Allan Pollock of Faside, and had four sons—
John, born 1832, died. 1859; Allan, now of Lymekilns and Craigallian ; Patrick, born .1836, died
1862 ; Thomas, born 1841 ; and two daughters — -Jane Coats, who married John Balfour, and has
an only daughter ; Nina, wife of Robert, eldest son of Sir James Dalrymple Horn Elphinstone of
Horn and Logie Elphinstone, Bart. ; and Alarioti, who married Captain Robert Cadell, H.E.LC. S.,
and died in 1866, leaving a son and two daughters.
Allan Graham Barns-Graham, now of Lymekilns and Craigallian, was born in 1835, and married
in 1868 Wilhelmina, daughter of William Carstairs, M.D., H. E.I.C.S., and has issue — Patrick,
born 1869; Jane Meldrum, born 1870 ; Allan, born 1874 ; John, bom 1877 ; Marion, born 1878;
Wilhelmina, born 1880 ; Kathet'ine Isabel, born 1883 ; Gordon, born 1885.
^ Craigend Writs.
THE BARONY OF AlUGDOCK.
of the old farms on the Barony of Mugdock which had been early feued out
to a family of Grahams supposed of the Dougalston branch,^ It was the
nearest mailing or farm to the Castle, and lay immediately to the east of Craig-
end. The house, which was removed some forty years ago, stood just above
the north-east corner of Mugdock Loch. A further addition to the estate was
the purchase of three quarters of the Westerton of
Easter Mugdock. This was made in iSio by John
Smith. One half of these lands had early be-
longed to a family of Edmonstones, but latterly
portioner John Graham held them, and the other
fourth, originally feued off to James Bryce in 1657,
was held by his descendants till John Smith's
purchase in 18 10. The Grahams' house and the
Bryces' house were both in the old burgh of Mug-
dock, the Grahams' being that now occupied by the
shepherd and the Bryces' that by the coachman of seal of john smith of
Mr. James Keyden, the feuar of the new house of As registered in the 'Lyon Office.
the Westerton of Mugdock. This house was built some years ago on what
was called the Shepherd's Hill, and where the markets were formerly held.
The other fourth of the Westerton of Mugdock is part of Mr. Brown's estate
of Middleton of Mugdock.^ In 1818 the estate of Craigend was much en-
larged by the purchase of
DUNBURGH OR DUMBROCH.
This part of the Barony of Mugdock, a twenty shilling land of old extent,
lies to the north-east of the Craigend of Mugdock, and was early feued off to
families of the name of Buchanan ^ and Lyle."* In 1755 Charles Lyle of Dun-
burgh, tacksman of the Mill of Duntreath, was entered as heir of James Lyle,
his brother, in these lands now reunited, and his grandson, Archibald Lyle,
dyer in Bucklyvie, conveyed them to James Smith of Craigend in 1818.^ The
■•In the Localities of 1758 and 1798 (see Appendix) Thomas Ronald of Peach appears among
the heritors of Strathblane ; the former date is twenty-four years after John Graham conveyed
these lands to James Smith. A deed among the Craigend Writs explains this apparent
discrepancy. In 1732 there is an Instrument of Sasine in favour of John Graham, second
son of Robert Graham, portioner of Lambhill, of the Peach family, and Mary Ronald,
daughter of Thomas Ronald in Buchley, spouses. This John Graham conveyed the lands of
Peach to James Smith in 1734; but Thomas Ronald held an heritable bond for 2,000 merks
Scots over the lands. After several transmissions they were vested in John Smith of Craigend
2 See Middleton of Mugdock.
^6th Feb., 1728, James Buchanan infefted in the " Muirlands of Dumbroch " (Reg. Sas.).
■* Reg. Sasines. ^ Craigend Writs.
THE PARISH OF STRA THBLANE.
Duke of Montrose sold the superiority of Dunburgh to Alexander Graham of
Ballagan in 1793. This part of Craigend is therefore held of Miss Janet Gloriana
Graham, heir of entail in possession of Ballagan. The old farm-house be-
longing to these lands stood close to Dumbroch I-och. Its last inhabitant was
Ebenezer Paterson, and there is now not a vestige of it to be seen, and man
and house would be utterly forgotten were it not that the loch which lay just at
his door is still sometimes called " Ebie's Loch," a name it got when Ebenezer
was a well known man in the district. The final addition to Craigend^ viz.,
THE MILL OF MILNDAVIE AND PERTINENTS,
Otherwise Miltoun, and the Lurg pofifle, were purchased in November, 1820, by
James Smith, from Miss Isobel Robertson, heiress of her uncle, James Robert-
son, and of her father, Matthew Robertson, printer and bookseller in Glasgow.
The mill and mill services of " Mill Davy, with an acre of land belonging
thereto, and a servitude of four cows and one horse, to be pastured yearly upon
the toun and lands of Edenkill, and with bannock and knaveship of said mill
conform to use and wont," were feued by the second Marquis of Montrose in
February and March, 1657, to Robert Miller in Milndavie Mill. This was the
mill of a large part of the Barony of Mugdock and of Easter Mugdock,
the "sucken" of it being the following lands; — Craigallian, Carbeth, Auchen-
gillan, Quinloch, Kilmannan, Leddriegreen, Dumbroch, Peach, Easter,^ Wester,