John H. (John Hoyt) Lockwood.

Western Massachusetts; a history, 1636-1925 (Volume 3) online

. (page 97 of 118)
Online LibraryJohn H. (John Hoyt) LockwoodWestern Massachusetts; a history, 1636-1925 (Volume 3) → online text (page 97 of 118)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


these, hundreds of residences. During the years of his
activities as a contractor, Mr. Bailey was a large em-
ployer of labor, with as many as one hundred and fifty
people on his payroll. In 1914 he discontinued contract-
ing and building and began to engage in the lumber
business, in which he has continued to the present. He has
a well-equii)ped lumber yard at Northampton, and does
an extensive business in the retailing of lumber, under
the firm name M. C. Bailey & Company, his son, Sidney
A. Bailey, being associated with him. Mr. Bailey has
served on the Northampton Board of Water Commis-
sioners. He is a member of the Nonotuck Lodge, Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows ; the Benevolent and Pro-
tective Order of Elks ; and the Northampton Club. His
religious faith is that of the Unitarian Church, and he
is a supporter of the interests of that church in
Northampton.

Myron Colburn Bailey married, October 6, 1881, Delia
A. Smith, of Ware, daughter of Aaron and Jane (Car-
penter) Smith, and they are the parents of two children:
I. Sidney Aaron, born September 25, 1887; he attended
the public schools and Williston Seminary, and as a
member of the firm of M. C. Bailey & Company has



engaged with his father in business. He was a member
of the city government four years, both as councilman
and alderman. He is a member of Nonotuck Lodge, In-
dependent Order of Odd Fellows. He married, Decem-
ber 7, 1914, Mary Olive Philips, and they are the parents
of three children: Sidney Philips, born March 4, 1917;
Myron Colburn, born August 26, 1918, and Frederick
Merrick, born August 21, 1922. 2. George Raymond,
born August 16, 1894, attended the public schools and
also the University of Maine, in Orono, Maine, for three
years. His profession is that of civil engineer, and he
was associated with the George A. Fuller Company for
a time. He went to the Plattsburg Officers' Training
Camp, and was there during the World War, as well as
at Camp Devens, in North Carolina, and in Texas. He
was a second lieutenant in the service.



FRANK A. STEUERWALD, president and treas-
urer of the Ben Franklin Press, Pittsfield, Massachu-
setts, learned the printer's trade when he was a boy,
and is now the head of a modem printing establishment
at Pittsfield. Mr. Steuerwald was born in New Leb-
anon, New York, February 20, 1886, and received a pub-
lic school education. While in his teens he went to
Canaan, New York, and there learned the trade of print-
ing. At the age of eighteen years he came, 1904, to
Pittsfield, and soon established himself, in company with
others, in the printing business under the name of the
Canaan Press. He afterward, in 1918, at the age of
thirty-two years, became one of the organizers of the
Franklin Press, a partnership concern. This firm con-
tinued td do business on an increasing scale, and so well
were its affairs managed by Mr. Steuerwald, that six
years later, 1924, the firm was incorporated and the
name changed to the Ben Franklin Press. Mr. Steuer-
wald is the president and treasurer; A. J. Peacock, vice-
president ; J. F. Maher, clerk. The Ben Franklin Press
does a large volume of business throughout the Pittsfield
district, and its products issue from an up-to-date plant.
He is a member of Mystic Lodge, Free and Accepted
Masons, and the Pittsfield Chamber of Commerce.

Mr. Steuerwald married (first) Angle L. Decker,
died October 25, 191 8, leaving a son, Kenneth F., (sec-
ond), June 16, 1921, M. Louise Parker, of Lee.



HENRY GOODSON IVES— A prominent min-
ister, a leading business man, and an influential citizen
of Amherst, Massachusetts, is Henry Goodson Ives, pas-
tor of the Unitarian Church in that city. Mr. Ives is
of English extraction.

Edmund Ives, grandfather of Henry G. Ives, was born
in England, lived for some time at Yarmouth, and died in
London at the age of seventy-two years. In 1827 Ed-
mund Ives established a large furniture business in
London, which was for many years operated under the
name of Edmund Ives & Sons, and was located at Nos.
56-58 Wigmore Street. The firm manufactured and
sold furniture. Edmund Ives retired in 1874. To him
were born the following children : William, who went to
Australia ; Edmund ; James Thomas Bostock, of further
mention ; Ebenezer ; Matilda, and Euphemia.

James Thomas Bostock Ives, father of Henry G. Ives,





-^xc;^



WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS



367



was born in London, England, in 1839, and died in
Andover, New Hampshire, in 1915. He was educated
in private schools in London, and on completing his edu-
cation entered business with his father in 1858. Upon
his father's retirement, Mr. Ives took over the business
and established a branch in Hampstead, England. He
was very active and energetic, buying land and building
houses, and at one time operating two stores in London.
Meeting with business reverses in 1883, he gradually got
rid of his English affairs and came toi Toronto, Canada,
in 1886. Of a scientific turn of mind, long a member of
the Geological Society of London, Mr. Ives turned his
attention exclusively to that angle of life when he came
to America. He invented and manufactured a series
of maps used widely in the teaching of geology by col-
leges and in illustrating territorial growth in history
courses. From Canada he moved to New York, then
to Philadelphia, engaged in making maps and in teach-
ing first geology, and later, history. In 1904 he joined
his son in Andover, where he remained until his death.
He was a man of brilliant mind and an interesting con-
versationalist

James T. B. Ives married, in 1858, Mary Collins Johns,
born in London in 1837, died in Middletown, Connec-
ticut, in 1912, daughter of Thomas Cook and Mary Ann
(Goldsmith) Johns. From her father, a printer, who
was the first in London to introduce steam machinery in
the printing business, and who printed Matthew Henry's
"Commentary on the Bible," Mrs. Ives inherited excel-
lent business sense. To James T. B. and Mary Ives
were bom the following children : i. James Edmund, a
noted physicist with the degree of Doctor of Philosophy,
employed in the Health Bureau of the United States
Government. 2. Susanna Mary, a doctor of medicine,
practising in Middletown, Connecticut; married Robert
Gledenning. 3. Thomas, a merchant at Potter Place,
New Hampshire. 4. Euphemia ; married William C.
Damon, manager of a woolen mill at Waterloo, New
York. 5. Henry Goodson, of further mention. 6.
Sarah Edith; married Rev. James J. Cogan, pastor of
the Protestant Episcopal Church at Peabody, Massachu-
setts, and who is the mother of David and Mary.

Henry Goodson Ives, son of James T. B. and Mary
Collins (Johns) Ives, was born in London, England, May
26, 1872, and was educated in the London public schools
and at Hampstead Heath. At fourteen years of age he
came to Canada with his father. There he worked at a
variety of occupations; made mattresses, worked at cab-
inet making, carpentering, and at plumbing, and helped
his father in his map making. For a time he worked in
the iron mines of New Jersey. Meantime, he was using
advantageously every opportunity to develop the splendid
mentality with which he was bom. He was a Jessup
Fund student at the Philadelphia Academy of Natural
Sciences ; assistant curator of the Vaux collection of
minerals from 1891 to 1893, and with Ward's Natural
History Museum in Rochester, New York, in 1893.
Studying all the time, he received from the University
of Pennsylvania, in 1897, the degree of Bachelor of
Science. In 1901 he was for a time with the Ethical
Culture Society of New York City. Having determined



upon the ministry as a life profession, Mr. Ives attended
Harvard Divinity School, from which he received the
degree of Bachelor of Divinity in 1907, and he was
ordained that same year as a Unitarian minister.

From 1907 to the outbreak of the World War Mr.
Ives was pastor at Andover, New Hampshire, serving
also the church which he built at Potter Place, nearby.
It was he who built the churches at Andover and Potter
Place, and he was the only Protestant clergyman within
a radius of five miles. Mr. Ives, meantime, acted as
field agent for Proctor Academy, to whose development
he materially contributed. In August, 1917, Mr. Ives,
at his own expense, traveled to Montreal, Canada, to
enlist with the 5th Royal Highlanders for service in the
World War. After six months of training for overseas
service Mr. Ives was utilized in Canada for receiving
drafted men, later being transferred to Trenton, On-
tario, where he was made assistant to the head chemist
in the chemical works manufacturing smokeless powder.
The plant produced 15,000,000 pounds of acid a week.
Mr. Ives remained at this work until the armistice was
signed. He then returned to the United States, and
from the offices of the American Unitarian Association
in Boston came to Amherst, Massachusetts, in 1919, as
pastor of Unity Church. There he has proved an able
and energetic minister, an influential factor in civic life,
and an enterprising business man. He has improved the
church building in many ways, changing the audience
room to give it more churchly atmosphere, securing
three John La Farge and one superb Tiffany window.
When he came to Amherst he bought the steam laundry,
which later burned and was rebuilt of brick. Mr. Ives,
who then incorporated the business under the name of
the Amherst Laundry Company, of which he is treasurer.
In New Hampshire he still has large farming interests
in the shape of a stock farm in Andover, where he has
a herd of pure bred Hereford cattle.

Mr. Ives has been affiliated with many welfare and
similar groups, including the National Municipal League,
the National Economic League, the New Hampshire
Historical Society, the New Hampshire Conference of
Charities and Corrections, the Equal Suffrage Associa-
tion, and the Philadelphia Mineralogical Society, which
he founded. Mr. Ives also organized the Merrimack
County Farmers' Association, was a member of the
Grange in New Hampshire, of the Good Templars, of
the American Legion, of which he was chaplain; of the
Massachusetts and National Laundry Owners' Associa-
tion, and of the Free and Accepted Masons, Pacific
Lodge, of Amherst. He is an active member of the
Amherst Business Men's Association. He is a member
of the Amherst Club, the Harvard Club, of Boston, and
he was a member of the Twentieth Century Club, of
Boston. He also attends the Science Club of Amherst
College.

Henry G. Ives married (first), February 2, 1909,
Susan Whiting, of Boston, daughter of John L. and
Mary (Sawin) Whiting. She died in 1913. He mar-
ried (second), in 1918, Grace Elizabeth Mackintosh, of
Brookline, Massachusetts, daughter of John and Helen
(Diggles) Mackintosh.



368



WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS



GEORGE HENRY HUGHES— Active in the pro-
fessional field in Springfield, Massachusetts, is George
Henry Hughes, attorney-at-law and corporation counsel
for a number of important concerns. He is the son of
Edward H. and Mary C. (Barry) Hughes. The father
was formerly in the clothing business, but retired some
years before his death at Springfield in 1917.

George Henry Hughes was born at Webster, Massa-
chusetts, November 20, 1885. His preliminary education
was received in the public and high schools of Webster,
after which he studied at Holy Cross College and Boston
University, receiving the degree of Bachelor of Laws
from the latter in 1908. The same year he was admitted
to the Massachusetts bar and began the general practice
of law in Springfield, where he has continued until the
present time, gradually building up an excellent practice.
He is an active member of the Hampden County Bar
Association and the American Bar Association.



ALBERT JOSEPH SMART, retired manufacturer,
has been an inhabitant of Greenfield for over half a
century, and during this long period has taken active part
in the commercial and civic life of the community. He
has served officially in the district, and has been one
of the prime movers in all afifairs that tended to the
progress of the town. He comes of early American
stock, his grandfather having been born here before the
signing of the Declaration of Independence. He has
evidently had the characteristics that early gave this
name as a surname, as it originally was a nickname,
meaning "the smart" or brisk. It has been used as a
surname as early as 1273 in County Northumberland,
England. The people of this name were in New Hamp-
shire very early, but seem to have been more busily
occupied in clearing away the forests and developing
farms and workshops, than in recording their progress,
as a thorough search of the vital records of New Hamp-
shire fails to reveal their abiding places or their births
and deaths. The founder of the family in this State was
a man of marked ability and prominence, and his de-
scendants, where record of them has been found, seem
to have partaken of his character and worth.

John Smart, the ancestor of those of this name in New
Hampshire, was a native of the county of Norfolk, Eng-
land, whence he came to Massachusetts in 1635. He was
accompanied by his wife and two sons, and settled in
Hingham, where he drew a house lot in 1635. He soon
removed to Exeter, New Hampshire, and received an
assignment of one acre and twenty-six poles of meadow
"next the town," from which it would appear that he
was an owner of cattle or goats. His homestead was
on the east side of the Exeter River, in what is now
Stratham, but he removed thence to the northern part
of Exeter, now Newmarket. His descendants still live
in that town. He did not sign the "Combination" for
the government of Exeter, but was a public spirited
man, and participated in the purchase of the Wheel-
wright house for a parsonage. His name first appears
on the town books, January 16, 1645. On February 3,
1698, he was chosen by the town meeting as a member
of the committee for seating the people in the meeting
house. There are several lines of his descendants.



among whom was undoubtedly John Smart, the grand-
father of Albert Joseph Smart, of whom further.

(I) John Smart was born in Newmarket, New Hamp-
shire, in 1766, and died August 7, 1822. He was active
in parish affairs in 1794-99. He had two brothers, Dud-
ley and Robert. He married Sally Speed, who was born
in 1781, and died February 15, 1851. They were the
parents of seven children: Sally, died in 1827; Mary,
died 1829; Robert, died 1886; John; a daughter, no
name; Joseph N., of whom further; Caroline, who mar-
ried Jacob Wiggin.

(II) Joseph Neal Smart, son of John and Sally
(Speed) Smart, was born March 29, 1818, at New-
market, New Hampshire, and was for a time a resident
of that town. He was early left an orphan, his father
dying from injuries received during the course of his
farm work. The son was trained to agricultural pur-
suits, and also learned the stone mason's trade, working
at this latter for many years after his marriage, as he
found it more profitable than tilling the soil. He lived
in Newfields, New Hampshire, most of his life, and died
there on February 21, 1889. He worked for a time on
the section of the Concord and Portsmouth Railroad.
He married Mary Jane Langley, of Newmarket, daugh-
ter of Joseph and Mary (Haley) Langley. She died in
April, 1885. Mr. and Mrs. Smart were the parents of
five children: Francis Sarah, deceased, married Wil-
liam H. Rundlett; Albert, J., of whom further; James
S., who died in 1922; Mary Jane, died June 4, 1859;
Georgiana, married Frank L. Durrell, of Somerville,
Massachusetts.

(III) Albert Joseph Smart, son of Joseph Neal and
Mary Jane (Langley) Smart, was born in Newfields,
New Hampshire, July 26, 1849. He was educated in
the district schools of Newmarket, New Hampshire, and
attended the High School at Newfields for a time. At
the close of his schooling he learned the machinist's
trade, working for J. F. C. Ryder, for three years, in
South Newmarket. Later he worked for Frank Perkins
in Lowell, but did not long remain there, coming to
Greenfield, in 1869. Here he entered the machine shop
of Pratt Grant and Company, where he worked for nine
months. He then went to Millers Falls, where he
worked for two and a half years, at the end of which
time he again came to Greenfield, becoming associated
with the Wiley and Russell Manufacturing Company,
with which company he remained as superintendent for
thirty-three years. At the end of that time he resigned,
and founded the A. J. Smart Manufacturing Company,
of which he was president and treasurer, and he moved
rapidly to a substantial success, making the business so
profitable that in 1912 he sold out his interest in the
establishment to the Greenfield Tap and Die Company,
since which time he has been retired from active busi-
ness life. During those years of his activity, he manu-
factured taps and dies and drilling machines, and he
has brought out many valuable patents. He was the
inventor of the Green River die, of which millions have
been made and sold, and of the Acorn die, which he
sold to the Greenfield Tap and Die Company. Mr.
Smart was active in the civic, fraternal and religious
life of Greenfield for many years. He was a member



WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS



369



of the Board of Selectmen of Greenfield for three years,
and served in many other ways in all matters that per-
tained to the welfare and progress of the town. Frater-
nally he is a member of the Republican Lodge, Free and
Accepted Masons; the Franklin Chapter, Royal Arch
Masons; Titus Strong Council, Royal and Select Mas-
ters; and Valley Commandery, No. 23, Knights Tem-
plar. He belongs to the Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks, and his club is the Greenfield Club. In
his religious connection he is a member of the Unitar-
ian Parish.

Albert Joseph Smart married (first) Augusta L.
Clondman, of South Newmarket, October 19, 1869, who
died in Jemuary, 1875, at the age of twenty-nine years.
He married (second), March 21, 1876, Julia Frary, of
Greenfield, who died November 29, 1879. He married
(third), January 20, 1881, Ada F. Hill, of North Bridg-
ton, Maine, daughter of John and Martha Chute (Green-
leaf) Hill. Of the third marriage were born four chil-
dren: Charles Edwin, bom November 19, 1881. He is
a graduate of Massachusetts Institute of Technology,
and is a mechanical engineer, located in Troy, New
York. He married Effie Jeanette Cook, of Greenfield,
and they are the parents of two children: Jeanette
Pierce, born May 4, 1909; and Russell Cook, born
March 25, 1913. 2. Roy Hill, born November i, 1883.
He married Cora Eaton Smith, of Deerfield, and they
are the parents of two children: Gordon Hill, born No-
vember 25, 191 1 ; and Helen Elizabeth, born July 27,
1914. 3. Harold Langley, born May 16, 1886, died
September 8, 1886. 4. Albert J., Jr., born March 26,
1890. During the great World War he served from
December 17, 1917, to its close, in the Commissary De-
partment, with the rank of lieutenant, in Jacksonville,
Florida, and at Newport News. He is in the grain
business. He married Annah Frances Potter, of Green-
field, daughter of Arthur D. and Mary (Pratt) Potter,
and they are the parents of two children: Joseph Potter,
bom July 27, 191 6; and Mary Frances, born December
25, 1917.



LESLIE WELLS SWIFT— From his earliest
youth having taken a deep interest in the business of
tobacco growing in Western Massachusetts, Mr. Swift
to-day has put to a very practical use many of his ad-
vanced ideas in the conduct of that industry, and he
has large and successful acreage of his own at Whately
under excellent cultivation. Having had a wide range
of experience in his line of business, he is considered
one of the foremost men in the enterprise in this sec-
tion. For more than a century and a half the Swift
family have resided and owned property in Whately
and Hatfield, and their name and influence in the busi-
ness world are substantial and abiding. Not only is
Mr. Swift's counsel of great worth among the tobacco-
growing interests, but his guidance of the affairs of
financial, civic and social institutions in this part of the
State is that of farsighted and resourceful citizenship.
The ancestral relationships to the affairs of the town-
ships and district hereabouts in the paternal line are
thus recounted:

(I) Heman Swift was born May 5, 1764, and he died

W.M.— 3-24



June 16, 1834. He came to Whately from Barnard,
Vermont, and lived in the section known as "the Straits."
He married Orpha Howard, who was born September

19, 1761, and died January 12, 1846. Their children:
Sylvia; Salome; Fanny; Orpha; Betsy; Sabra; Heman,
Jr., of whom further; Kingsley; Carlos.

(II) Heman Swift, Jr., was born at Whately, August

20, 1796, and he died November 30, 1848. He was a
potter by trade. He married, January 30, 1825, Lucy,
daughter of Jacob and Mary (Pierce) Mosher, who
was born February 10, 1805. She married (second)
Erastus Graves. The children of Heman Swift, Jr.
and Lucy Mosher were: Rufus M., of whom further;
Luciva, born September 8, 1839, married Pomeroy
Smith.

(III) Rufus Mosher Swift was born at Whately,
April 8, 1836, and died in 1891. He was a farmer and
tobacco grower; held in high esteem by his fellow-
townsmen, he was a member of the board of selectmen
fifteen years or more. He was a member of the Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows. He married, September
17, 1867, Inez Gertrude Wells, a daughter of David D.
and Irene M. (Cushman) Wells, who was born May 19,
1847. She was a descendant of Hugh Wells, who came
from England in 1635, through his son, John Wells,
who was born in 1628, at Colchester, England; his son,
John Wells, born at Hatfield, Massachusetts, in 1670;
his son, Noah Wells, born at Hatfield, in 1719; his son,
Perez Wells, born in Hatfield in 1757; his son, Lewis
Wells, born at Whately, June 3, 1799; his son, David
Dwight Wells, born at Whately, October i, 1822, mar-
ried Irene M. Cushman, whose daughter, Inez Ger-
trude, married Rufus Mosher Swift. The children of
Rufus M. and Inez G. (Wells) Swift: i. Champion B.,
born June 29, 1868, married Mary Alice Maynard, and
their son Maynard was born February 4, 1896. 2. Les-
lie W., of whom further. 3. Homer Cushman, born
November 7, 1871, died June 26, 1892. 4. Lucy Ger-
trude, born November 23, 1873, deceased. 5. Rufus
Mosher, Jr., born March 20, 1881, married October 2,
1901, Esther A. Dickenson. Their children: Marion
Beulah; Homer Cushman; Ralph Lewis; Sidney Dick-
enson; Adele Gertrude; Harold Rufus.

(IV) Leslie Wells Swift was born at Whately, De-
cember 20, 1869, and after receiving his preliminary edu-
cation in the public schools of his birthplace, and Hat-
field, he attended Deerfield Academy and Dickinson
High School, at Deerfield, and graduated at Childs
Business College, at Springfield. He started out upon
his business career in the capacity of bookkeeper in the
employ of a Northampton firm. He then traveled
throughout the southern part of the country as a sales-
man of spool silk and embroidery for a Washington firm,
his travels in that line inclusive of the years 1892 and
1897. Returning to Massachusetts, he became associated
with the business of growing and selling of tobacco, act-
ing for New York dealers, and with a large warehouse at
North Hatfield. Mr. Swift has some two hundred and
fifty acres of tobacco, all shade-grown, requiring 5,000
yards of cloth to cover each acre. He is a large em-
ployer of labor upon his farm, with one hundred or more
hands throughout the year, and one hundred and fifty or



370



WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS



more in the winter. He is a member of the board of
directors of the First National Bank of Northampton.
He had made his home at Northampton until 1921,
when he built his present fine residence at Whately. He
is a member of the Social Club and of the Northampton
Country Club, and his religious fellowship is with the
Dickenson Baptist Church.

Mr. Wells married (first), in 1901, May Jenkins, of
Washington, who died in 1920; (second) Emily L. Aid-
rich, of Northampton, daughter of Elwell Aldrich, and
they are the parents of: Eleanor Jane, born November
5, 1921.



WILLIAM L. RICKETTS, one of the founders
and owners, with his brother, Charles L. Ricketts (a
sketch of whom follows), of the Ricketts and Shaw
Woolen Mills, of Monson, is prominent in the woolen
industry. He has also served as town assessor and as
a member of the Monson School Committee.

William L. Ricketts was born in Wales, Massachu-
setts, September 13, 1868, the son of William J. and



Online LibraryJohn H. (John Hoyt) LockwoodWestern Massachusetts; a history, 1636-1925 (Volume 3) → online text (page 97 of 118)