John Lewis Moilliet.

Abberley Manor, Worcestershire : notes on its history, Augustine's Oak, churches and families connected with the parish to the present day online

. (page 7 of 8)
Online LibraryJohn Lewis MoillietAbberley Manor, Worcestershire : notes on its history, Augustine's Oak, churches and families connected with the parish to the present day → online text (page 7 of 8)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

of the chancel, cut down half-way. A third alteration was
made about the Reformation period, probably when the
Rev. Johannes Blamyer was appointed rector. The
church was lowered, and the east end was extended about
four yards beyond the position of the Norman altar,
a screen separating it from the sanctuary, and probably
used as a Mary Chapel, to whom it was dedicated. A fine
oak roof of the fan description was set up over the chancel,
and a shingle spire was added to the tower and a large
church-bell hung in it. The restoration having been
accomplished, the church was reopened by the Bishop of
the diocese on the Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed
Virgin Mary amid general rejoicings. As the bell was
dedicated to the Virgin Mary, and the day of the reopening
was so great an event in the parish, the customary wake
was evidently changed at that time from the Feast of
St. Michael to that of the Assumption, and is so continued
to this day. The exact dates of these two alterations
may, perhaps, appear among the Bishop's registers, which
are being reproduced by the Cantilupe Society, Hereford.
A fourth alteration took place in what Mr. Pugin would
call the ^* Deformation period." The Mary Chapel was
turned into the family pew for the Walshes, and a sort of
vestry was built out on the south side of the chancel over
the vault of the Walsh family. A perpendicular east
window of wood was fixed in the place where probably
a well-proportioned window had stood, the wall above it
being made up of brick standing on wooden beams. An
unsightly window was let into the south wall of the
sanctuary. In this window there exists a coat of arms
bearing the date 1588. It does not seem to satisfy any
rules of heraldry. Some bits of the glass have vanished,
but it may be described thus : " Quarterly : first and fourth,
gules, five marlion wings argent in saltire ; second,
argent, three helmets (?) sable ; third, argent, three bars
sable, two bearing three cotton-hanks or." An esquire's

The Old Churchy Monuments^ and Bell. 91

helmet, bearing a wyvern's or stag's head erased, the
neck surrounded with a ducal coronet, surmounts the
shield. It seems to refer to the Porters of Newark and
the Cottons of Bellaport, who were connected with the
Walshes. An old-fashioned pulpit (three-decker) and high
cattle-pens were fixed in the church, and, worst of all,
the family pew behind the altar fitted up with comfortable
settees and fireplace. A gallery was erected at the west
end of the church in 1727.^

1 We find a note about this gallery in the Register Book of Bishop
Humphrey Humphreys, D.D., stated to have been compiled after his
death in 1712 :

July loth, 1723.— Paid by the hand of the Rev^ Mr. Griffith, Surr.,
ten pounds to Michael Hay, Churchwarden of Abberley, who, notwith-
standing that he had the consent of the Parishioners and the Licence
of the Ordinary for new seating the Church of Abberley, was by some
litigious parishioner troubled both in the Ecclesiastical and Civil Courts
for what he had so laudably done ; in answering which suits at the Court
of Arches, and Assizes at Worcester, he, the said Michael Hay, ex-
pended a very great sum of money towards the defraying, whereof
the Commutation of an offender in the said Parish of Abberley was
allowed him ^10.

November 6th, 1727. — Delivered the Rev. Mr. Payne, Vicar, Richard
Cox, and William Middleton of Abberley the sum of ten pounds, ten
shillings (being commutation money received of an offender in the
Parish of Abberley) towards erecting a gallery in the said Church for
the use of such poor inhabitants and others as are hitherto unprovided
with kneelings, and also for the use of such poor children as are and
shall be taught in the Charity School of the said Parish from time to

Septeinber 17th, 1728. — The Rev. Mr. Payne, Vicar of Abberley,
signified by letter that the said gallery was erected. The length of
which is 13 feet 3 inches, and there are three rows in it. The first row
is 3 feet 3 inches wide, the second 2 feet, and the hindmost 2 feet 4 inches.
And that there is convenient room in it for the children, but none to
spare for any else. That the building of the said gallery cost ^8 17s. 8^d.
as appears by John Booton's bill. That there is remaining an overplus
of ;^i I2S. 3id., to be disposed of as shall be ordered.

September i8th, 1729. — Certified that the remaining part, viz.,
;^i I2S. 3^d. were paid for painting an Inscription on the gallery and
a Sundial on the south side of the steeple.

92 Abberley Manor ^ Worcestershire.

Mural Tablets,

These are mentioned by Dr. Nash with sufficient care
as to need no additions. He mentions the following :

1. Rev. John Chapman, died 1690.

2. John Brasier, died 1683.

3. Elizabeth, relict of Joseph Walsh, died 1719.

4. Ann, wife of George Walsh, died 1679.

5. Elizabeth, daughter of Sir George Blount and wife
of WilHam Walsh, died 1645.

(These last two are placed side by side on one large
marble monument.)

6. Elizabeth, wife of John Dedicott, died 1654.

7. Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Bury, died 1711.

8. Thomas Bury, died 1715.

9. Catharine, wife of (first) Thomas Bury and (second)
Edward Milward, died 1728.

Inscribed on flagstones are the following :

10. Sir William Walsh, Knight, died 1622.

11. Elizabeth, wife of S. WilHam Walsh, died 1618.

12. Walter Walsh, brother of Sir William Walsh,
died 1613.

13. Elizabeth, wife of William Walsh, eldest son of the
said Walter, died 1645.

14. George Walsh, died 1692.

15. Joseph Walsh, died 1682.

16. Catherine, daughter of Joseph Walsh, died 1687.

17. In the chancel — Stephen Marsh, gentleman, coroner
of this county, died 1705.

(N.B. — Dr. Nash has mistaken this name, calling him
Stephen " Walsh.")

18. William Walsh, Esq., died 1707.
The following are on mural tablets :

19. Henry, son of Francis Bromley, died 1698.

20. Henry Bromley, married Elizabeth Ann, daughter

The Old Church, Monuments, and Bell. 93

of E. Sacheverell Chandos-Pole, of Radborne Hall, Derby.
He died 1836.

21. Thomas Severne, rector, died 1732.

22. Francis Severne, rector, died 1780.

23. Francis Severne, rector, died 1865.

24. Hester Severne, widow of Thomas, the brother ot
Francis, died September 12, 1864.

25. Thomas James Maling (Vice-Admiral), died 1849,
aged 70. Jemima Maling, his wife, died 1857, aged 61.

We may further notice some headstones in the old
churchyard :

26. Mary Bagnall, who died January 31, 1826, reaching
the great age of 102 years.

27. Richard Quarterman, who died 1818, and George
Quarterman, who died April 16, 1880, aged 81 years.
His son George still survives him.

(These three have been churchwardens in succession.)

28. In the nave on the south a solid stone monument
stands in memory of Elizabeth Barbara, died April 24,
1861 ; also of her husband, Samuel George Palmer, of
the Bengal Civil Service, died February, 1883. Mr.
Palmer was residing at Abberley Hall when his wife died.

God's Acre,

In the churchyard the vault of the Bromleys Hes be-
tween the rectory and the vestry. On the north wall of
the chancel is a large railed-in patch of grass, in which
are buried the rectors and Severne family. To the east
of this is a memorial altar-tomb, railed in, which covers
the vault of the Moilliet family. Their arms, with that
of the Keirs, are chiselled in the stone. Further on, in
another patch of ground railed in, without any marks of
identification, is the vault containing the remains of the
Maling family.

94 Abberley Manor, Worcestershire,

The Old Bell,

This ancient bell was preserved by the rector, F. Severne,
when the other four bells were sold in 1850 to pay in part
for the new chime in the present parish church. It was
considered by Mr. Severne to have been a gift to the
parish by the Rev. John Blamyre, who lived in the time
of Henry VIII. When appointed Rector of Abberley in
1514 he brought the bell with him from the North, prob-
ably Cumberland, where the name is still extant among
the Statesmen of that district. There are only a few bells
in the North bearing the same marks. It has long been
a puzzle to know why a North-Country bell should appear
in these Midlands ; but most probably Mr. Blamyre
brought it here at the dissolution of the lesser monas-
teries in the year 1535. Mr. W. Beresford writes : " You
are right, I should think, in calling the Abberley bell con-
siderably older than the Reformation, but I should not
think it to be so old as the fourteenth century, unless at
the very end of it " (letter dated September 28, 1894).

The Rev. Henry F. Tilley also examined the bell in
1894, and speaks of it as *' an unique bell," and adds : " I
should imagine the date to be about 1490-1520. I exam-
ined all the bells in the old towers of Warwickshire (save
five), and the great majority of those in Worcestershire,
and have never seen one quite like Abberley."

The bell bears an inscription in black letter, the initials
being Lombardic capitals. It runs thus : *' Ave plena
gratia dominus tecum." It has stops like a floriated S
between each word, also a trade-mark of a shield contain-
ing three bells. The v in "Ave" is a plain Roman one.
The bell bears no date. The bell, when it hung in the
old tower, was cracked by careless ringing in 1874. It
was carefully examined with a view to its being repaired,
but the crack was found to run up the bell so far as to
render it impossible, and it was therefore taken down and

The Old Church, Monuments, and Bell, 95

preserved in the chancel of St. Michael as an archaeo^
logical curiosity. In the " Gentleman's Magazine Library,"
edited by George Lawrence Gomme, F.S.A., 1894 (ElHot
Stock, London), vol. xvi., p. 184, we find the names of other
places given, all in the Nprth, where similar bells are to be
found. " At Pittington, in the neighbourhood of Durham,
there are two ancient bells, which have the same founder's
stamp ; also at Melsonby, South Cowton, and Kirkby
Fleetham, in Yorkshire, and at Bonby in Lincolnshire.
At Kirkby Fleetham the name * Richard Pette ' is placed
on the crown of the bell, and may possibly be the name
of the founder or donor."

The absence in the inscription of the bell of the word
" Maria " probably saved it from being broken into pieces
and sold by Henry VIIL to the Spanish Government.



ALTHOUGH it is usual in these days to run down
the old-fashioned charities of our forefathers, yet
there can be no doubt they have proved of great
value and real benefit to many, and that we ourselves
have derived many advantages from them. It is to be
wished that the same feeling existed now which existed
then, inspiring the hearts of the wealthy to devote a por-
tion of their substance for the good of the poor.

Two old ladies, Elizabeth and Victoria Walshe, early
in the eighteenth century — about 1710 — bequeathed a
sum of money to pay for the schooling of six poor chil-
dren for three years, during which they were to receive
clothing and books. The children were to be chosen by
the Rector and Lord of the Manor, in conjunction with
the two churchwardens.

Mr. W^iliiam Bromley subsequently added to these gifts,
and settled the money in land, purchasing Bynt's tene-
ment — a small farm, situated at the junction of four roads,
where the school now stands. The number of children
to be benefited was increased to nine, and a salary was
allowed to a mistress to teach the charity children in the
charity house, which she occupied. She was allowed to
admit other children to be taught with the charity chil-
dren, receiving fees for their instruction. This was the


The School and Charities. 97

chief school in the parish, and it continued for many years,
seldom numbering more than forty children.

It was about the year 1858 when an order of the
Worcestershire Court for the county, by the request of
the Patron, the Rector and the two Churchwardens of
Abberley, sanctioned the gift of a portion of land belong-
ing to the charity for the erection of a school and play-
ground for the children of the parish, to be an elementary
school under the new Act. The school was built in ashlar
(stone) at the expense of Mr. Moilliet, with the help of
parishioners and some neighbours, and cost about 3^400,
and was opened in November, 1859. The Walshes'
charity continued as before, electing three children every
year for three years, and supplying them with clothing
and books. The little farm was let at ;f 16 per annum,
the excess of the income going to the school managers
towards the master's salary.

In the year 1864 Mrs. Hester Severne, the wife of
Thomas (a brother of Francis) Severne, died, leaving a
bequest of £'2.00 to the Rector and Patron of Abberley for
the use of the " Church school." This money was in-
vested in the purchase of a cottage and garden near the
school, adjoining Walshes' charity, in 1865. Some 3^300
were given by Mr. Moilliet to improve the house and
make it fit for a master's residence. Thus the school,
supported from year to year by voluntary rates, continued
to hold its way, until the new Act in 1902 placed it under
the Worcester County Council in the Martley district.

In the year 1892 the Committee of Council on Educa-
tion required that the classroom should be enlarged and
used for a separate infants' department. This, of course,
required money, and it was proposed by the Patron of
the living that he should purchase the whole of Walshes'
charity, house and land, using a portion of the purchase-
money for the building of the infants' room, and investing
the rest in the Consolidated Funds. After some months


98 Adder ley Manor, Worcestershire.

were spent in correspondence with the Charity Trustees
and Commissioners, the Patron and Rector of the parish
bore the principal share of the building of the new infants'
room, and the whole of the sum acquired by the sale of
Walshes' charity land was invested in Consols, the yearly
income continuing, as heretofore, to provide clothing and
books for the charity children. The master of the school
occupies the house, which belongs to the trustees of the
Severne charity, the rent of the same being paid by the
Worcester County Council for the maintenance of the
school buildings.

Webb's Charity.

Another charity gives considerable benefit to the chil-
dren of Abberley on leaving school. A farm in this
parish, at the Hay Oak, was left for the apprenticeship of
the children connected by blood with the Rev. Thomas
Webb of Shelsley Beauchamp. This charity was admir-
ably arranged by the Rev. David Melville, D.D., Canon
and Sub-Dean of Worcester Cathedral, when he was
Rector of Shelsley. The scheme sanctioned by the
Charity Commissioners allows the income of the farm
to go towards the apprenticeship of boys whose parents
are respectable and poor, and live in parishes parts of
which come within a radius of five miles from the boun-
daries of Shelsley parish. As the kin of the Rev. Thomas
Webb has long died out, this charity has proved of very
great advantage in supplying apprentices to various trades
throughout the country. Abberley parish school has
benefited very largely from this charity.




ONE would like to know more of this family, whose
names are to be found in the old register from
1575 to 1799. Their place of residence was The
Elms, Abberley, which they doubtless purchased from
Walter Walshe. Wherever they are mentioned, either
on tablets or in registers, the word "gent" is placed
after their names. A fine, tall old man who lived at
Bewdley, and was steward of the Manor of Abberley
for the Bromleys and Mr. James Moilliet, would be
remembered by some people now living. He had two
sons, one of the Bank Farm, Stanford, and the other
who succeeded his father at Bewdley for some few years.
All are dead now, and the family extinct. They are
descended from a very ancient stock. Mrs. Bury assured
the writer that she had traced the family to a celebrated
Bishop of Durham in the Middle Ages, whose right arm
had so powerfully applied the rod to the back of a great
Norman Baron that he screwed out of him a sum of
money sufficient to set up a cell at Oxford for the monks
of the cathedral. This cell subsequently grew into a
college, which was afterwards transferred to Durham,
and is now developed into the University.

99 7 — 2

lOO Abberley Manor ^ Worcestershire.

The following table may be gathered from the entries
in the old register :

Thomas Bury,

of Abberley, gent.,

temp, circiter Henry VII.

Thomas Bury,=f=Ann Gladwin,
te77tp. 1540. m. 1575,


Thomas Bury,=i= John,=j=Margaret Glazzard,

d. 1647. I b. 1612 ; d. 1675. m. 1637.

Thomas Bury,=T=Elizabeth, Edward,=i=Ann Brotherton,

b. 1607; d. 1675. d. 1645. of Stanford. m. 1706.

Thomas Bury,=j=Ann. Edward.=f=Jane, d. 1796.

b. 1640 ; d. 1671.

Thomas Bury,=r=Ann, Edward,

d. 1769. d. 1762. b. 1765.


Thomas, Herbert, William,

b. 1729; d. 1778. b. 1739- b. 1740; d. 1770.

The arms of the family are painted on the memorial
tablet to Thomas Bury in the old church. They are:
" Azure, a fess or, between three crescents or."

Underneath is the inscription :

" If honest worth with Charity combined
Deserve the dear remembrance of Mankind,
Here may the worthy drop the tender tear.
For such was his desert who slumbers here."

A dmiral Maling.

The Bury family were induced to sell their small estate
in Abberley, which was purchased by Admiral Maling,
a fine old naval commander who had done much good

Some Old hihabitants, loi

service for his country. He married Jemima, daughter
of Mr. Bromley of Abberley, and settled at The Elms for
many years, bringing up his family there.

He died in 1849, aged seventy, having been paralyzed
for some years previously. The story of his active life
and services is told by his wife in a brief sketch, from
which these particulars are taken.

His father was a great friend of Lord Herbert (after-
wards Lord Pembroke), Lady Herbert, who was Woman
of the Bedchamber to the Queen, and many others in
high positions. He entered the navy, and first embarked
on board the Duke in 1719, where he was under the par-
ticular charge of Sir Robert Kingsmill.

He served in several ships, rose to be mate in the
Cwnberland in 1795, in which he took part in Lord
Hotham's action off Hyeres in the July of that year. He
joined Sir John Jervis, and proceeded with him to Toulon
to join the Victory. At Cape St. Vincent, in 1797, he was
the first to discover the Spanish Fleet, which he reported
to the Commander-in-Chief, to whom he was aide-de-
camp, and from whom he received the appointment to
act as 3rd Lieutenant of La Minerve, under Captain
(afterwards Sir George) Cockburn. After some years of
service he was appointed by Lord St. Vincent to the
command of La Bonne Citoyenne in 1799, the finest sloop
in the Mediterranean. He was present at the blockade
of Naples by Lord Nelson, and afterwards, when Malta
was at the point of starvation, he boldly cut out a trans-
port, filled with supplies from Syracuse, and saved the
garrison at Malta for England. In 1800 he was appointed
Captain of the Diana frigate, being the youngest officer in
rank and years who had commanded a ship of that class.
For eight months he was placed in command of the whole
squadron in the Archipelago by Lord Keith. He after-
wards joined the blockade at Curagoa, and by a skilful
manoeuvre brought about its surrender. In 1809 he was

I02 Abberley Manor, Worcestershire.

sent to Vera Cruz for specie, where he saved a large sum
of money to the country at a considerable personal loss
to himself through the villainy of an agent.

He saved to the Spanish Government two galleons
laden with treasure, which he saw safely to Cadiz, and
received the thanks of the Spanish Junta. He sailed in
the Cambridge in 1824 to Peru, and remained there till
1827, and received the thanks of Mr. Canning for his
judicious management.

" During the nearly 20 years of actual Command of His
Majesty's Ships, he was amongst the most successful
against the Enemy's Privateers and trade, having
captured a Spanish Frigate of 28 guns, 3 Privateers of
from 16 to 20 guns, and about 20 sail of Enemy's
Merchant Vessels. And what is really far more impor-
tant, his endeavours were always supported by his
example in promoting reverence, morality, and good
conduct on board his ships" (Mrs. Maling).

He retired from active service about 1820, and died,
and was buried in their family vault in the old church-
yard, Abberley, leaving issue Thomas Maling, Esq., of
Christchurch, New Zealand.

The Lingens.

A farmstead, near the new church at Abberley, called
originally " Tompkin's Farm," shortly " The Tump,"
and now " Firleigh " (the residence of A. Dudley
Clarke, Esq.), was rebuilt and enlarged by the Rev.
Henry Lingen, who purchased this holding from the
Bromieys. He was the descendant of a remarkable
family, and was himself a remarkable man. For many
years he signs the vestry book as chairman instead of
the rector, who seems to have left all vestry business in
the hands of Mr. Lingen and the churchwardens. The
pedigree of the Lingens is given in " Mansions of Here-
fordshire," by Charles John Robinson, M.A. Shirley tells

Some Old Inhabitants.

us that ** the first recorded ancestor of this loyal family is
Ralph de Wigmore, Lord of Lingen, in the county of
Hereford, founder of the Priory of Lyngbroke. His son
John took the name of Lingen ; his grandson is recorded
in the Testa de Nevill as holding various estates in Here-
fordshire ' of the old feoffment ' — that is, by descent from
the time of King Henry L" From Ralph de Wigmore
we can trace twelve descendants in direct succession to
Ralph Lingen, M.A., Fellow of Wadham College, Oxford ;
Rector of Castle Frome, Herefordshire, Kynnersley, and
Rock, Worcestershire.

His son Henry settled at Abberley, and married Anne
Wharton of Pensax. They had five sons, of whom
Francis, of The Bower, Rock, continues the line.

The Rev. Henry Lingen, of Abberley, had a brother
Thomas, who lived in Birmingham. His son, Ralph
Robert Wheeler Lingen, M.A., C.B., Fellow of Balliol
College, Oxford, married Emma, daughter of Richard
Hutton, of Putney Park, Surrey. He became Secretary
to the Treasury in 1870, and Secretary to the Committee
on Education from 1850 - i86g. He was made Lord
Lingen in 1885. Their arms are thus blazoned : " Barry
of six, or and azure, on a bend gules three roses argent."

The Duchess of Cleveland gives an interesting account
of one of the family. Constantia, daughter of Sir John
Lingen, married, in 1253, Grimbald, son and heir of Sir
Richard Pauncefote. Grimbald joined in a crusade
against the Mohammedans of Tunis, and was taken
prisoner by them. His captors demanded a joint of his
wife — whose beauty perhaps had been the subject of
boast — as the price of his ransom, and tradition adds
that the terms were accepted, and the lady's left hand
procured him his release. Silas Taylor gives the follow-
ing account of the monument erected to the memory of
the devoted pair in Cowarne church :

" * I diligently viewed the accord which must have been

I04 Abberley Manor, Worcestershire.

between the two figures. The female, laid next the wall
of the south aisle, on her right side, by which means his
left side might be contiguous to her right, the better to
answer the figure ; also, the stump of the woman's arm is
somewhat elevated, as if to attract notice, and the hand
and wrist, cut off, are carved close to his left side, with
the right hand on his armour, as if for note.' Whether
the mutilated effigy and the lady's name, Constantia, are
the sole foundations on which this story of heroic love
rests, we will not presume to say." iyide " Castles of
Herefordshire and their Lords," by C. J. Robinson.)

It is to be here noted that Thomas Lingen, Esq., of
Radbrook, married Anne, only daughter of Robert Bur-
ton, Esq., and sister and heir of Thomas Burton of
Longner, Esq. Their eldest son assumed the name of
Burton by Act of Parliament in 1748, and hence the
representative of the family in its highest branch bears
the name of Burton.

The Pearsons.

Soon after the death of Admiral Maling, at The Elms,
the small estate was purchased by Mr. Moilliet, who lived
there with his family till 1857, when it was let to Mrs.
Sarah Pearson, the widow of the Rev. Thomas Pearson,
Rector of Witley. This lady had come to the neighbour-
hood soon after her marriage, when only seventeen, her

1 2 3 4 5 7

Online LibraryJohn Lewis MoillietAbberley Manor, Worcestershire : notes on its history, Augustine's Oak, churches and families connected with the parish to the present day → online text (page 7 of 8)