John M. (John McAuley) Palmer.

The bench and the bar of Illinois : Historical and reminiscent (Volume v.2) online

. (page 14 of 83)
Online LibraryJohn M. (John McAuley) PalmerThe bench and the bar of Illinois : Historical and reminiscent (Volume v.2) → online text (page 14 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


first term, accorded the juclgeship to him without opposition.

His last appearance in public was at the unveiling of the statue of Pierre
Menard at the state capitol, when he was chosen by the governor as the orator
of the occasion, which was one that recalled youthful memories and the time
when Kaskaskia was the center of gaiety, fashion and commerce and the scene
of much that was memorable in the early history of Illinois. No man was better
fitted to enter into the spirit of the occasion than Judge Baker, and it inspired him
to make one of the best oratorical efforts of his life. At his death resolutions of
respect were passed by the members of the bar, in which was the following : "We
shall ever remember him as a man of the highest worth, whose record will always
reflect credit upon his memory and be a legacy of great value to his family."

He was twice married and was the father of eleven children.

William Pitt Bradshaw, for twenty-five years a member of the bar of Ed-
wardsville, is one of the native sons of Illinois who have attained distinguished
success in the law and is deserving of recognition among those who have won
high honors for the bench and bar of the state. He was born April 7, 1846, about



THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS. 691

four miles north of Fairfield, Wayne county, and is a son of Greenup and Mar-
garet (Bose) Bradshaw. His grandfather, Thomas Bradshaw, was a slave-
holder of Kentucky, but becoming convinced that the influences of slavery were
pernicious and against the uplifting of humanity, he liberated his bondsmen and
removed to Illinois in 1812. He located near Fairfield and there, throughout
the remainder of his life, devoted his energies to farming. The father of our
subject was a prosperous agriculturist, and lived and died within a quarter of a
mile from where his father first settled on coming to Illinois.

In his early boyhood W. P. Bradshaw, of this review, conned his lessons in
a log school-house, and when a youth of sixteen years he went to the war as a
news-carrier for the Union army. He remained in the service for about fourteen
months as news-carrier and scout, performing some very important duty, and
then returned to his home. Through the following year he worked on the farm,
after which he continued his education as a student in McKendree College, in
which institution he was graduated in the class of 1869. While there he began
reading law under the direction of Professor H. H. Homer, and then came to
Edwarclsville, where he continued his law studies in the office of Dale & Burnett,
one of the ablest law firms in southern Illinois. After a thorough preparatory
training he was admitted to the bar and in the courts put his theoretical knowl-
edge to the practical test. He entered upon his professional career in Decem-
ber, 1872, and in 1874 formed a partnership with A. W. Metcalfe. Subsequently
he became a partner of his former preceptor, Judge M. G. Dale, the firm of Dak
& Bradshaw holding marked prestige at the bar until the death of the Judge in
1896. Since that time Mr. Bradshaw has been alone in practice. He has a dis-
tinctively representative clientage, and is regarded as one of the most eloquent
and able practitioners in Edwardsville. His arguments are forceful, his reason-
ing clear and cogent and his deductions follow in logical sequence. He has been
connected with the most important litigation of the courts of his district through
the past twenty-five years, and has defended in twenty-one murder cases, and
acquitted all except three, which he succeeded in sendihg to the penitentiary
instead of the gallows.

On the 1 4th of July, 1876, occurred the marriage of Mr. Bradshaw and Miss
Sallie H. Harrison, and their union has been blessed with two sons, Ernest W.
and Courtlandt. They are widely and favorably known in Edwardsville and Mr.
Bradshaw is regarded as one of the progressive and public-spirited citizens, with-
holding his support from no enterprise intended for the public good. For fifteen
years he has been connected with the school board, is now serving as its presi-
dent and as in former years is doing effective service in behalf of the cause of
education. He was a member of the state central committee of the Republican
party, and is an influential factor in political circles, although not an aspirant for
office.

Judge \Villiam Henry Krome, of Edwarclsville, is known as one of the fore-
most lawyers of his section of the state, a fact which indicates his worth in this
particular, and the honors and successes he has won are rightfully his. Pre-em-
inence in any calling indicates that the individual has reached a position to which



692 THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS.

the majority has not attained, and to do this he must possess not exceptional qual-
ities, but exceptional force and concentration in applying these. In the law it re-
quires diligence, knowledge of legal principles and precedents, devotion to clients'
interests, fidelity to the true purpose and spirit of the law and unremitting energy ;
and the degree in which these qualities are manifest determines the standing of
the individual at the bar. It is therefore a question of personal merit, for the
favors of the law are not bestowed through wealth or influence.

A native of Louisville, Kentucky, Judge Krome was born July i, 1842, and is
a son of Charles William and Anna (Wesseler) Krome, who were natives of the
kingdom of Hanover, Germany. Both came to America in 1835, the former at
the age of twenty-one years, the latter at the age of fourteen. The father en-
gaged in merchandising in Louisville until 1851, and then removed to Madison
county, Illinois, where he conducted a farm until his death, which occurred in
December, 1876. His wife died in 1885.

The Judge acquired his early education in the common schools and in 1858
entered McKendree College, of Lebanon, Illinois, where he was graduated in
June, 1863, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. In 1868 the degree of Master
of Arts was conferred upon him by his alma mater. In early life he formed
a resolution that the practice of law should be his life-work, and as far as possible
he shaped all things to this end. On leaving college he worked upon a farm in
the summer months and taught school in the winter seasons in order to pursue
his law studies in the university. He first read law in the office and under the
instruction of Judge M. G. Dale, and in 1866 entered the law department of the
University of Michigan, wherein he was graduated in 1868, with the degree of
Bachelor of Law. He had attained such proficiency in 1867, however, that he
successfully passed an examination before the supreme court of Illinois and was
admitted to the bar in May of that year.

Immediately after his graduation he formed a partnership with John G.
Irwin, under the firm name of Irwin & Krome and thus continued in the prac-
tice of law in Edwardsville until the senior partner was elected county judge, in
1874, when Mr. Krome became a partner of W. F. L. Hadley, under the style of
Krome & Hadley. This partnership was dissolved in 1890, when Judge Krome
was elevated to the bench of the county court, where he served for a term of four
years. On his retirement from office he was joined by C. W. Terry in the forma-
tion of the present firm of Krome & Terry, which ranks among the most prom-
inent and successful law firms in this part of the state. The zeal with which
Judge Krome has devoted his energies to his profession, the careful regard
evinced for the interest of his clients, and an assiduous and unrelaxing attention to
all the details of his cases, have brought him a large business and made him very
successful in its conduct. He is a very able writer, his briefs always show wide
research, careful thought and the best and strongest reasons which can be urged
for his contention, presented in cogent and logical form, and illustrated by a
style unusually lucid and clear. In connection with his law practice, Judg-e
Krome is president of the Madison County State Bank, which position he has



THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS. 693

filled since 1897, in which year it was organized, following the failure of the
private banking house of J. A. Prickett & Son.

In politics Judge Krome has always been a Democrat and has served on the
state and county committees of his party. He was elected mayor of Edwards-
ville in April, 1873, an d served one term. In November, 1874, he was elected to
the state senate from the forty-first district and served until 1878, taking an active
and influential part in framing the legislation of the state. He served on the
judiciary committee in 1875 and again in 1877 and was also a member of other
important committees. In 1877 ne took P art m the contest which resulted in the
election of David Davis as United States senator over General Logan. He was
also chairman of the joint senate and house committee that framed the law under
which our appellate court was created. In 1893, upon the death of Judge
Scholfield, he was a candidate before the Democratic convention for the nomina-
tion to fill the vacancy. The convention met at Effingham and after several
hundred ballots had been cast adjourned without accomplishing the result of the
meeting. Another convention was later held in Vandalia and Hon. Jesse J.
Phillips was nominated, but Judge Krome received the support of the entire
Madison county bar, every member thereof signing a petition requesting his
nomination.

Judge Krome was married May 4, 1874, to Miss Medora L. Gillham, of
Madison county. She was a daughter of S. B. Gillham and her grandfather
was the first sheriff of Madison county, filling that office before the organization
of Illinois as a state. Seven children have been born of this marriage : William
J., who was born February 14, 1875, and was educated in Cornell University, of
New York; Clara G., who was born August 30, 1876, and was educated in
Lasell Seminary, of Auburndale, Massachusetts ; Minna M., who was born in
September, 1878, and was educated in Wells College, of Aurora, New York;
Belle, born in October, 1883; Nora, born in November, 1886; Anna, who was
born in October, 1888, and Mary, who was born in November, 1890. The
family circle yet remains unbroken by the hand of death and the Krome house-
hold is one of the hospitable homes of Edwardsville. The Judge is connected
with but one civic society. He is a charter member of Caractacus Lodge, No.
72, K. of P., in which he has held the offices of chancellor commander and past
commander, and has been representative to the grand lodge. Religiously he
was reared in the faith of the Lutheran church, but is now a communicant of no
religious organization. His public and private life is above reproach, and
whether in the office, in the court, or in his home he is the same courteous, high-
minded gentleman, whose fidelity to principle is one of his most marked char-
acteristics.

William Flavius Leicester Hadley, a worthy representative of a prominent
pioneer family of southern Illinois, was born on a farm near Collinsville, Madison
county, on the I5th of June, 1847, and is a son of William and Diadama
(McKinney) Hadley. On the paternal side he is of English lineage, the family-
having been founded in America in 1760 by the great-grandfather, who with his
family came from England to the United States. He first located in Mary-



694 THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS.

land, but subsequently removed to Virginia and thence to Kentucky. He was of
an adventurous spirit, fond of the experiences of pioneer life. His son, the grand-
father of our subject, became one of the early settlers of Madison county; but
William Hadley, the father, was born ere the removal of the family to this state.
His wife was born near Edwardsville in 1809, and was of a Scotch-Irish descent,
her family coming from North Carolina to Illinois.

The boyhood and youth of W. F. L. Hadley quietly passed, his energies
being devoted to the labors of the farm through the summer months, while in
the winter season he pursued his education in the common schools until sixteen
years of age, when he became a student in McKendree College, of Lebanon,
Illinois, being graduated in that institution in the class of 1867. Through the
three succeeding years he was employed as manager of a fruit farm in Jackson
county, Illinois, but desiring to devote his life to professional labors he began
the study of law, and in 1870 matriculated in the law department of the Michigan
University, at Ann Arbor, where he was graduated in 1871. Returning then to
the county of his nativity he took up his residence in Edwardsville, where he
opened an office and entered upon the practice of law, being alone in business
until 1874, when he formed a partnership with Judge W. H. Krome, under the
firm name of Krome & Hadley. This connection was continued until 1890,
when the senior member of the firm was elected county judge. In 1892 Mr.
Hadley entered into partnership with Charles H. Burton, and this relation has
since been maintained under the present style of Hadley & Burton. This firm
has a large clientage and ranks deservedly high in the profession. Mr. Hadley
conforms his practice to a very high standard of professional ethics, and his
marked ability in the prosecution of a case is largely due to his comprehensive
understanding of the principles of jurisprudence and his keen discrimination in
determining what points of law apply to the litigated questions.

Mr. Hadley's strong intellectuality and marked fitness for leadership have
made him the standard-bearer of his party in a number of political contests. In
1886 he was nominated and elected to the state senate for a term of four years,
and on the expiration of that period was unanimously renominated, but owing to
the illness of his wife he declined to enter the campaign. While in the assembly
he served on a number of important committees and took a prominent part in
the proceedings. In November, 1895, he was elected to represent the eighteenth
district in congress to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Frederick Remann.
Judge Cyrus L. Cook was nominated by the convention, but his death occurred
shortly before the election and Mr. Hadley was placed on the ticket. He had
only two weeks in which to make a canvass, but was elected by nearly thirty-
three hundred plurality, a fact which indicated his personal popularity and the
confidence reposed in his ability. On the expiration of his term he was renom-
inated, but the Democrats and Populists combined their forces and he met
defeat. He has served as president of the school board of Edwardsville, and is
deeply interested in educational matters, while to all movements and enterprises
for the public good he gives a generous and hearty support.

On the 15th of June, 1875, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Hadley and



THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS. 695

Miss Mary J. West, daughter of Edward M. and Julia A. (Atwater) West. Their
children are Julia W T ., William L., Winifred W., Edward W., Douglas McK.
and Flavia D. Socially Mr. Hadley is connected with the Masonic, Odd Fellows
and Knights of Pythias fraternities, and has the esteem of his brethren of those
orders, as well as of the legal profession. His talent and industry, together with
his unblemished character, have placed him in the rank of distinguished attorneys
of Illinois.

Judge Benjamin J. Burroughs, of Edwardsville, is a native of Maryland,
born in Charles county, May 20, 1849, an d acquired a classical education in
Charlotte Hall, Saint Mary's county, that state. After his graduation at that
institution he came to the west, locating in Edwardsville, Illinois, in 1867, where
he engaged in teaching school for two terms and later conducted a hardware and
agricultural-implement business, which brought to him good financial returns ;
but he considered this merely a means to an end, for through all these years
it was his intention to engage in the practice of law. In 1873 he began his
preparatory reading in the office of Krome & Hadley, of Edwardsville, and sub-
sequently attended the Union Law School, of Chicago, where he was graduated
in 1876.

Returning to Edwardsville, Judge Burroughs then opened an office. He
was favorably known and had the confidence of his friends so completely that he
soon found himself with a remunerative practice. He proved himself a forcible
and persuasive speaker and an excellent jury lawyer, and this, with an unblem-
ished personal character and strict observance of professional ethics, won for him
a distinguished position among the fraternity. From 1877 until 1879 ne filled the
position of city attorney of Edwardsville and was for several years a member of
the board of education. In January, 1889, he was elected to the circuit bench
to fill a vacancy caused by the death of Judge Amos Watts, his opponent for the
office being Judge Benjamin Canby. That he discharged the duties satisfactorily
was attested by his renomination at a convention at Centralia, March 12, 1891,
which unanimously nominated him on the first ballot. In June of that year he
was re-elected and again in June, 1897, receiving a majority of over two thou-
sand. In the same month he was appointed by the supreme court of the state
one of the justices of the appellate court of the third district, and is now serving
in that capacity. He is a judge of great ability, unchallenged fairness, and ener-
getic, prompt and reliable in the discharge of his duties on the bench. He has
always been a believer in the principles of the Democracy.

Judge Burroughs was married January 26, 1873, to Miss Mary Judy, and
they maintain their residence in Edwardsville.

Judge David Gillespie was one of the lawyers who attained distinction at the
bar of southern Illinois and by his courteous bearing and profound knowledge
of jurisprudence fully sustained the majesty of the law and added new luster
to the judicial history of the state. This record would be incomplete without a
memoir of this most respected man, and can it better be given than in the words
of his old-time friend, Judge H. S. Baker v who when the bar of Madison county



696 THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS.

had assembled to pay tribute of respect to the member who had been taken from
them by 'death, said :

"May it please the court : I have been requested by the members of the
Madison county bar to suggest unto your Honor the death of David Gillespie,
one of the ablest and oldest of our lawyers. He died at his home in Edwards-
ville, on the ist day of August, 1881, after a brief illness. The shock with which
the announcement of his death was received pervades our entire community and
could not have been greater had the announcement been that he came to his
death by violence.

"David Gillespie was born on the 291)1 of September, 1828, in the town of
Edwardsville, Illinois. He was the son of the late Mathew Gillespie, and his
wife, Nancy Gillespie. Her maiden name was Gordon and she was the daughter
of Robert Gordon. Both of David Gillespie's grandparents emigrated from
Monaghan county, Ireland, as early as 1819, and settled in Illinois. David
Gillespie, in his youth, like the rest of us who were born and reared in Illinois
contemporaneous with him, had but few advantages for acquiring an education.
As a rule we had to pick up as best we could the rudiments of knowledge from
that class of itinerant school-teachers who at that period traveled around from
one settlement to another, dispensing their own small fund of information. The
log cabin and Webster's spelling-book of 1828 have given place to stately
school-houses of 1881, which sit like castles upon our elevated hills, and that vast
and attractive course of learning embraced in our modern school-books. After
being taught by our itinerant teachers more than the teachers could teach, Mr.
Gillespie for a short period attended school at Shurtleff College in Upper Alton,
Illinois, where under the tuition of learned and refined teachers he laid the
foundation of that knowledge upon which he afterward raised the superstructure
of his professional success.

"After leaving college Mr. Gillespie at once entered the office of his uncle,
Judge Joseph Gillespie, and commenced the study of law. As an evidence of the
avidity with which he pushed the study of his profession, it may be said that, sev-
eral years before he arrived at the age of manhood and could be admitted as an
attorney at law, he had mastered the entire course of reading allotted to him
and -had graduated at the law school of Hamilton, Ohio, with high and deserved
honors. It was not for him to drag his weary thought through the pages of
Coke, of Blackstone, of Kent, of Chitty and of Story. To him those pages were
enchanted ground illuminated by that knowledge which he had made up his mind
to master.

"After completing his course of study and upon arriving at the age of twenty-
one years, he was admitted to practice as an attorney at law, in 1848, and at once
formed a copartnership with Judge Joseph Gillespie in the practice of his pro-
fession in this city. Judge Joseph Gillespie even at that time was ranked among
the leading lawyers of Illinois and had a practice coextensive with his reputation ;
and I am informed that during the time of their copartnership, David Gillespie
attended to almost the entire office business of the firm, arranging the pleadings
and preparing the cases. In 1861, upon the election of Joseph Gillespie as judge




Bft-f.u'.-



THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS. 697

of our circuit court, David Gillespie formed a partnership in his profession with
Charles F. Springer, which continued until the death of Mr. Springer in 1871.
He then entered into partnership with Mr. Cyrus Happy, which was dissolved
only a short time previous to his death.

"David Gillespie was married October 8, 1855, to Miss Minna Barmback,
of Madison county, Illinois, by whom he had six children, four of whom, with his
widow, survive him.

"In his home, in social and professional circles, Mr. Gillespie was ever kind
and courteous and in his death the community lost one of its best citizens. He
achieved high distinction at the bar and he deserved it, for he was ever careful
to conform his practice to a high standard of commercial ethics and had a com-
prehensive knowledge of law and was masterful in its application to litigated
questions. As he won success and prominence in his professional career, so he
in private life endeared himself to all who knew him by the simple nobility of
his character."

Judge Michael G. Dale was among the important characters who have left
the impress of their individuality upon the judicial history of the state, and for al-
most half a century was prominently connected with the bar of southern Illinois.
He was one of the great lawyers of this section of the state and yet lives in the
memories of his contemporaries, encircled with the halo of a gracious presence,
charming personality, profound legal wisdom, purity of public and private life
and the quiet dignity of an ideal follower of his calling. No citizen of the com-
munity was ever more respected and no man ever more fully enjoyed the con-
fidence of the people or more richly deserved the regard in which he was held.

A native of Pennsylvania, he was born in Lancaster, November 30, 1814, and
died in Edwardsville, on the 1st of April, 1896. His grandfather, Samuel Dale,
was a native of the Emerald Isle, and crossing the Atlantic to America took up
his residence in Pennsylvania, in 1766. He espoused the cause of the colonists
during the war of the Revolution and was a worthy citizen of the newly estab-
lished republic. His son Samuel, a native of Pennsylvania, served in the war
of 1812 and rose to prominence in civic life. He was a member of the state legis-
lature and served as judge of the court of common pleas and of the court of oyer
and terminer of Lancaster county. His wife was a daughter of Michael Gun-
daker, an early resident and successful merchant of Lancaster county.

Judge Dale received exceptionally good educational advantages for his day
and made good use of them. He attended school in Lancaster and also received
private instruction in Latin and French. For one year he was a student in the
West Chester Academy, and in 1832 entered Pennsylvania College, where he
was graduated in September, 1835, with the second class to complete the pre-
scribed course in that institution. He won high honors, and at the commence-
ment exercises delivered the salutatory in Latin. Immediately after the com-



Online LibraryJohn M. (John McAuley) PalmerThe bench and the bar of Illinois : Historical and reminiscent (Volume v.2) → online text (page 14 of 83)