John M. (John McAuley) Palmer.

The bench and the bar of Illinois : Historical and reminiscent (Volume v.2) online

. (page 60 of 83)
Online LibraryJohn M. (John McAuley) PalmerThe bench and the bar of Illinois : Historical and reminiscent (Volume v.2) → online text (page 60 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


more conventions, where he was a powerful ally of Stephen A. Douglas, and
where the Democratic party was temporarily torn asunder and the civil war
was precipitated. He was a delegate to the Democratic convention of 1876, and
took part in securing the nomination of Samuel J. Tilden.

June 13, 1839, Mr. Ross was married to Frances M. Simms, who was born
in Virginia, July 18, 1821, and they lived to celebrate their golden wedding,
June 13, 1889. Mrs. Ross survives her husband, and lives at the old homestead
in Lewistown. Four of their children are living: John W., who is commissioner
of the District of Columbia, at Washington; Lewis C. and Pike C., who reside
at Lewistown; and Jennie, wife of G. K. Barrere, of Canton, Illinois.

Floyd Brown, who came to Lewistown from Pike county, was a lawyer of
considerable ability, but his success was marred by convivial propensities. He
removed to Minnesota, where he died.

H. M. Wead came from Vermont and settled in Lewistown in 1840. He was a
sound lawyer, a good advocate and an able jurist. In 1852 he was elected cir-
cuit judge and filled the office with distinct ability. At the expiration of his
term on the bench he removed to Peoria, where he died, in the early '705. His
son is now a member of the Peoria bar.

William C. Goudy came from Jacksonville, Illinois, and located at Lewis-
town as a school-teacher. He read law with H. M. Wead, whose partner he
eventually became. As a lawyer he was accounted one of the ablest who evei
practiced at the bar of Fulton county. He was a shrewd Democratic politician
and did effective service in behalf of his party in the early days. He became a
member of the state senate, where his record was excellent. About 1860 he
removed to Chicago, where he became very eminent. His death occurred
about 1893.

Asa Lee Davidson came from New York and located at Canton about
1838, being recognized as an able lawyer. He returned to New York for a
few years, then came again to the west, and his death occurred at Pekin, Illinois.

Hon. William Kellogg stood for many years at the head of the Fulton
county bar. He was a strong criminal lawyer, and no member of the bar was
more eloquent in his defense of a prisoner or better able to influence a jury.
His judgment in civil practice could be fully relied upon. Mr. Kellogg came
from Ohio and settled at Canton about 1838. He was for several years asso-
ciated in practice with A. L. Davidson, served as circuit judge and was a mem-



1040 THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS.

her of congress for three terms. Later he became chief justice of Nebraska. He
died in Peoria, where. he was serving as collector of internal revenue.

William Pitt Kellogg was born at Orwell, Vermont, December 8, 1831.
When sixteen years of age he came to Peoria county, Illinois, where he taught
district school for two years. He then read law with Elbridge Johnson and
Judge Onslow Peters, in Peoria, and was admitted to the bar in 1853, begin-
ning practice at Canton, Fulton county, where he was a partner of William
Kellogg, formerly a member of congress from that district. He was a delegate
to the state convention which organized the Republican party of Illinois; also
a delegate to the national convention of 1860, and a presidential'elector for Illi-
nois in 1860.

In 1 86 1, while practicing law at Canton, President Lincoln appointed him
chief justice of Nebraska. On the breaking out of the war he returned to Illi-
nois and raised a regiment of cavalry, composed exclusively of sons of farmers.
In July, 1861, he reported with his regiment, the Seventh Illinois Cavalry, for
duty at Camp Butler; was mustered into service and ordered to report to Gen-
eral Grant at Cairo. He was placed in command of the post at Cape Girardeau,
Missouri; served under Pope in Missouri until after the evacuation of Fort
Thompson ; commanded a cavalry brigade, composed of his own regiment, the
Third Michigan and a part of Grierson's cavalry, at Corinth, Farmington and
Grand Junction; after which failing health compelled his retirement from the
army.

The position of chief justice on the Nebraska bench not having been filled,
Colonel Kellogg returned to Nebraska and remained until January, 1863, as
chief justice, when he returned to Illinois in order to accompany Governor
Yates on a tour of inspection of Illinois soldiers in the field. At that time Gen-
eral Grant was operating before Vicksburg, his headquarters being on the
steamer Magnolia. Governor Kellogg accompanied Governor Yates to visit
General Grant, when General Grant commissioned him to carry important dis-
patches to Washington, thus putting him again in active military duty. In
April, 1865, he was appointed collector of customs of the port at New Orleans,
his commission having been signed by Mr. Lincoln on the evening of the day
the president was assassinated. He served as collector until July, 1868, when
he was elected to the United States senate, from Louisiana. He served in the
senate on the committees on commerce and Pacific railroads, and was chairman
of the committee on levees of the Mississippi river. He remained in the senate
until the autumn of 1872, when, having been nominated for governor by the
Republican party, he resigned. The long, bitter political struggle in that state
in his gubernatorial contest is a matter of history. The Democratic party united
upon John McEnery. George Williamson, who had been nominated for gov-
ernor by the so-called Liberal party, withdrew in favor of Mr. Kellogg. Thus
there were but two candidates in the field at the election, Mr. Kellogg, Re-
publican, and John McEnery, Democrat. Warmoth, the then governor, threw
his influence and the election machinery of the state so far as it was possible
into the hands of the Democrats. He assumed to remove a majority of the



THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS. 1041

election returning board as constituted, and appointed others in their places.
Those appointed by him attempted to canvass the returns and declare a result.
Pending their action, Kellogg obtained a temporary injunction in the United
States circuit court, restraining the returning board from announcing the re-
sult of the election, alleging various irregularities made for the purpose of de-
claring McEnery elected. Although the courts sustained Kellogg, two boards
were organized, two legislatures convened, and the two candidates were de-
clared elected by the respective returning boards, both being inaugurated in
January, 1873. Both legislatures assembled, the Kellogg legislature holding
its session in the state house, and the McEnery legislature at Odd Fellows' hall.
The Kellogg legislature had continuously, in both houses, a majority of the
members returned elected by the returning board which, had been declared legal
by the courts. The two legislatures continued in session during the winter of
1873, the McEnery legislature not attempting to do more than to meet and
adjourn from day to day. On the ist of March, 1873, Kellogg ordered Gen-
eral James Longstreet, who was in command of the state militia and police, to
disperse the McEnery legislature, which he did, leaving Kellogg in possession
of the state government. The McEnery party throughout the state declared
the Kellogg government usurpation. During the summer of 1873 anc ' the win-
ter of 1874 the struggle continued. The McEnery followers, composed chiefly
of ex-Confederates, organized into what was called the "white league," and in
some parishes, where they were the strongest, drove the Kellogg officials out.
Finally in the city of New Orleans they seized the state and city buildings and
took possession of the public property within their reach, and on the I4th day
of September, 1874, compelled Governor Kellogg to take refuge in the custom
house. President Grant promptly ordered a portion of the United States forces
to New Orleans, took possession of the city, recognizing and maintaining the
Kellogg regime. This continued political excitement and pending civil war
was only prevented by the interference of the president. The trouble in Louisi-
ana had been the subject of investigation by the different houses of congress
during the summer of 1873 and the winter of 1874; when congress met after
the occurrence, on September 14, 1874, a joint committee was appointed by
the two houses of congress, empowered to investigate the whole question.
George F. Hoar of Massachusetts was chairman, and the committee was com-
posed of Howe, Frye, Wheeler, Clarkson Potter, Phelps, and Marshall, of Illi-
nois. The committee repaired to Louisiana, heard witnesses and examined
documentary evidence, Governor Kellogg having in the meantime agreed in writ-
ing to submit his claims to the determination of this committee. The committee
finally made a report recommending that Governor Kellogg be recognized as
the legal governor of Louisiana. His recognition was a somewhat notable event
at the time. After a long debate, Senator Edmunds of Vermont offered the
senate a concurrent resolution declaring that Governor Kellogg had been elected
governor of Louisiana, and recognizing him as such. This resolution, after
passing the senate, went to the house, and although the Republicans were in
the majority, it was necessary in order to secure prompt action, to suspend the
66



1042 THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS.

rules. Though every Republican voted for the motion, the vote fell short of the
requisite number to suspend the rules. Mr. Elaine, then speaker, left the chair,
and in connection with Alexander H. Stephens, of Georgia, prevailed upon sev-
eral Democratic members to vote with the Republicans in suspending the rules
and passing the resolution recognizing Kellogg as governor; thus the resolu-
tion passed both houses of congress, making Kellogg's recognition as governor
of Louisiana complete. From that time Kellogg was recognized as the undis-
puted governor of the state, and there was a general acquiescence in his rule.
Mr. Kellogg served as governor until January, 1877, when he was the second
time elected to the United States senate, serving on the committees on terri-
tories and commerce, and also serving as chairman of the committee on rail-
roads. His second term expired in March, 1883. After his term in the senate
he was elected to the house of representatives from the Teche sugar district of
Louisiana. At the expiration of his term in the house, his party having been
defeated by the election of Mr. Cleveland, Mr. Kellogg retired from active
politics.

He has been a delegate at large from Louisiana at each Republican na-
tional convention, beginning with 1868, when General Grant was nominated for
president, up to and including the convention at St. Louis in 1896. At five of
the national conventions he served as chairman of his delegation. In 1876, at
the Cincinnati convention, he led his delegation in support of General Grant,
and was one of the famous "306" who struggled so hard in the convention of
1880 to secure the nomination of General Grant for a third term for president.

Leonard Fulton Ross was born at Lewistown, Illinois, July 18, 1823, was
educated in the common schools of the state, spent one year at the Illinois Col-
lege, at Jacksonville, read law with the law firm of Davidson & Kellogg, of
Canton, Illinois, in 1843-4, and was admitted to the bar of Illinois in December,
1844. In November, 1845, ne married Catherine M. Simms, and opened a law
office in Vermont, Illinois, a town settled mainly by Friends, or Quakers, who
were but little inclined to litigation. So but little was done in the way of prac-
tice. In June, 1846, he enlisted as a private in Company K, Fourth Regiment
of Illinois Volunteers (Colonel E. D. Baker), for service in the Mexican war.
In September, 1846, he was promoted to first lieutenant, serving on the Rio
Grande and at Camargo, Mexico. In December, 1846, he returned to Mata-
moras, thence to Victoria, thence to Tampico, thence, in March, 1847, by sailing
vessel to Vera Cruz, and joined the army of General Scott, assisting in the
reduction and capture of the city of Vera Cruz and castle of San Juan D'Ulloa.
April 1 7th and i8th he took part in the battle of Cerro Gordo.

Mr. Ross returned home in June, 1847, and in the following August was
elected probate justice of the peace, and removed to the county-seat, Lewis-
town. He served till November, 1847, and attended to most of the legal busi-
ness in regard to the settlement of estates. In November, 1849, ne was elected
county clerk of Fulton county for four years. In 1852 he engaged in merchan-
dising, and soon also in farming and stock-raising.

In April, 1861, at Lewistown, he raised a company to help put down the



THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS. 1043

rebellion. This became Company H, Seventeenth Regiment Illinois Volun-
teer Infantry, and on the organization of the regiment he was chosen colonel,
serving with the regiment in Missouri, Kentucky and Tennessee. His wife
died in March, 1862, and in April of that year he was appointed brigadier gen-
eral of volunteers; was in command at Bolivar, Tennessee, from July to No-
vember, 1862, and commanded a division in General Grant's movement to
Holly Springs and Oxford, Mississippi, in that year.

In February, 1863, Mr. Ross was placed in command of the post at Hel-
ena, Arkansas, and the troops thereat. After the surrender of Vicksburg, July
4, 1863, believing that the war was ended, he tendered his resignation in order
that he might attend to private and family affairs. In January, 1865, he mar-
ried Mary E. Warren, and in March, 1866, removed to his farm near Avon,
Illinois, and again engaged in farming and fine stock-breeding.

In 1882 he sold his Illinois farm, and moved to Iowa City, Iowa, but soon
bought two farms and engaged in, fine stock-breeding and dairying. In Jan-
uary, 1894, he returned to Lewistown, Illinois, and joined his brother, Lewis
W. Ross, and others in organizing the Lewistown National Bank, and was for
two years vice-president and manager. Since 1896 he has been in no active
business.

Mr. Ross was the first secretary, and afterward president, of the Fulton
County Agricultural Society, and the first president of the Avon Agricultural
Society. He was collector of internal revenue in 1867-8-9; was defeated for
a seat in congress in 1868 and 1874; was a member of the Democratic national
conventions of 1852 and 1856, and of the Republican national convention of
1872. He was for nine years president of the Red Polled Cattle Club of
America. In 1884 he visited England to examine the best herds of cattle, and
in February, 1898, visited Cuba, and in March, 1898, visited old Mexico.

S. Corning Judd came to Lewistown from Syracuse, New York, about 1851,
and became a partner of W. C. Goudy. About 1872 he removed to Chicago,
where he became prominent in his profession. He served as postmaster of Chi-
cago during Cleveland's first administration. He died in 1895. L. W. James
came to Lewistown from Washington, D. C., about 1859, and about fourteen
years later removed to Peoria, where he served as county judge. He returned
to Lewistown in 1897. James Johnson came to Lewistown about 1840, removed
to California about a decade later, and in the latter state served on the bench.
George W. Stipp came to Fulton county about 1845, later removing to Prince-
ton, Bureau county, where he still resides. Henry B. Stillman came to Can-
ton when a boy. He read law and thereafter located in the northern part of
the state, where he served as state's attorney. He eventually returned to Ful-
ton county, settling in Lewistown, where he died, about 1878. Thomas J. Little
settled in Canton about 1836, and died there. He is described as "a wiry, still,
shrewd man, not famous for oratory or pleading, but one who saw the weak
points in his adversary's mail, and had a lance ready to pierce it." Washington
J. Taylor located in Canton about 1840, and died there. He was a courtly,



1044 THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS.

polite man, well educated, fond of sport, quick to perceive all points in a case,
and was just initiating a successful career when death cut him off.

Henry Walker, father of Hon. Meredith Walker, of Canton, came to the
bar at a time when life had passed its zenith for him. A brick-mason by trade,
and with but limited educational advantages in his youth, by dint of hard work,
good judgment and energy, he was able to take a place among our foremost
lawyers, both in criminal and general practice. He died a number of years
ago. Lewis Corbin was an early lawyer, located at Canton (another report
says at Farmington). Although a "good judge of the law," to use a "western-
ism," he never attained a noteworthy success. Honest, slow of speech and none
too energetic, it has been said that "he was too good a man to be a successful
lawyer."

A. C. Woolfolk came from Pike county to Fulton county about the year
1858 and became the partner of Lewis W. Ross, and so continued till May,
1861. He enlisted in Company H, Seventeenth Regiment Illinois Infantry;
was appointed quartermaster and served to the close of the war. His health
failing, he removed to Alankato, Minnesota, and thence to Colorado, where
he died.

John W. Ross, son of Lewis W. Ross, began the practice of the law at
Levvistown about the year 1862, and soon removed to Washington city, where
he now resides, serving his third term as one of the commissioners of the
district.

Thomas H. Bruner came to Lewistown from Ohio, and proved himself in
a short time to be not a successful lawyer. He soon embarked in the lumber
trade in company with George Humphrey, and he with others built the Willi-
son hotel and the adjoining block. He left Lewistown in 1869.

John S. Clendennin came to Lewistown about 1842, but could not get a
foothold in his profession here and soon after went to Yazoo City, Mississippi,
and became quite a prominent man. He is now deceased.

Frederick M. Grant, a lawyer of Canton, was born on the I3th of June,
1838, in Orange, a suburb of New Haven, Connecticut. Long prior to the
Revolution the Grant family became identified with American interests, and its
representatives bore an active part in the struggle for independence. One of
the family, a resident of Virginia, was called to the door of his home upon a
dark night and shot dead by an unknown assassin! This was during the pen-
dency of the war of the Revolution and it is supposed that his murderer was a
Tory neighbor, though no proof of the fact could be adduced. His ardent es-
pousal of the cause of the new-born nation had given deep offense to the sup-
porters of the king, and through his loyalty to the colonies he forfeited his life.

William T. Grant, father of our subject, was born and reared in Norfolk,
Virginia, but in early manhood removed to Connecticut, where he was en-
gaged, in connection with Andrew J. Smith, in the manufacture of shoes for the
southern market for many years. In later life he engaged in the manufacture of
shoes for a New Haven shipper. He did an extensive business and was also
prominent in political circles. For many years he served as postmaster of



THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS. 1045

Orange, Connecticut, and also represented his district in the legislature of that
state. His wife, Mrs. Esther F. Grant, was born and reared in Connecticut
and was also descended from an old family antedating the Revolutionary war,
in which some of her ancestors supported the cause of the colonies in their re-
sistance to the oppressive measures of the British ministry. Both Mr. and
Mrs. Grant are now deceased.

Frederick M. Grant was educated in the common schools of Connecticut,
in the Orange Academy and in Smith's grammar school, of New Haven. From
earlv boyhood he was very fond of books and a most voracious reader. Every
spare hour, free from labor, was devoted to the acquisition of knowledge, but
his early youth left him few privileges in that direction. He began working in
a cotton mill when quite young and was then employed as a farm hand, per-
forming the labors of field and meadow for about eight or nine months of the
year, while during the remainder of the time he was allowed to attend school.
Subsequently he began learning a trade and while thus engaged attended night
school. He then worked in a sash and blind factory, and devoted every leisure
moment and available opportunity to study. Thus working under difficulties,
he nevertheless made rapid progress and laid an excellent foundation of gen-
eral knowledge on which to rear the superstructure of professional learning.

Upon the outbreak of the civil war, when twenty-two years of age, he
offered his services to the government in May, but the quota was then full.
On the i8th of August, 1861, however, he again enlisted as a member of the
Twelfth Connecticut Infantry, and with his command went to Ship Island,
where his regiment was attached to the Department of the Gulf. He remained
at the front until the roth of January, 1866, and after the surrender of General
Richard Taylor was mostly engaged in garrison duty in Louisiana and Texas.
This left him considerable leisure time, which he improved in reading text-
books on the law. He was sergeant of Company D, Twelfth Connecticut In-
fantry, until February n, 1863, when he was commissioned first lieutenant of
Company H, Seventy-sixth Regiment United States Colored Troops, and was
promoted as captain, February 22, 1864, serving in that capacity until honor-
ably discharged.

On receiving his discharge from the military service Mr. Grant returned
to New Haven, Connecticut, but remained there only about a year, when he re-
moved to Illinois, locating first in Knoxville, where he entered upon the study of
law, in the office of Judge R. L. Hannaman. In 1869 he was admitted to the bar
and removed to Galesburg, where he formed a partnership with Hon. F. A.
Willoughby for the general practice of law. That connection was severed by
Mr. Grant's removal to Canton in March, 1873. Here he formed a partnership
with Hon. Granville Barrere, member of congress, which continued with un-
interrupted friendliness and harmony until the death of Mr. Barrere, January
13, 1889. Through the following year Mr. Grant continued the practice of his
profession alone, and on the ist of January, 1890, entered into partnership rela-
tions with B. M. Chiperfield, a young man possessing an exceedingly bright,
incisive mind and who had previous to his admission to the bar, in November,



1046 THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS.

1890, been a student in Mr. Grant's office. On the 1st of January, 1897, the
junior partner was elected prosecuting attorney of Fulton county, and in the
meantime his brother, Judge C. E. Chiperfield, had removed from Minnesota
to Illinois. He now joined the firm under the name of Chiperfield, Grant &
Chiperfield, which constitutes one of the strong law associations in central Illi-
nois. The firm of whom we write have by virtue of studious application to
business entrusted to them, secured a fairly large clientage. They have handled
some complicated and very important litigation and their professional en-
deavors have been crowned with more than ordinary success.

While residing in Galesburg Mr. Grant was elected city attorney in 1870
for a two-years term, which is the only pecuniary remunerative office he has
ever held. He is at present a member of the board of education of Canton, to
which he was elected for a five-years term, dating from August, 1897. Since
1871 he has been an Odd Fellow and has held all the offices in Olive Branch
Lodge, No. 15, I. O. O. F., of Canton. He has also for many years been a
member of Joe Hooker Post, No. 69, G. A. R., and since August, 1877, has
held a membership in Anchor Lodge, No. 18, A. O. U. W. On his seventeenth
birthday he became a member of the South Congregational church, of New
Haven, Connecticut, and is now a member of the First Congregational church
of Canton.

Mr. Grant was married January 5, 1862, in New Haven, Connecticut, to
Sarah Grace Willoughby, and they have three children: George B., born June
26, 1869, in Galesburg, Illinois; Edna Willoughby, born in Galesburg, October
5, 1872; and Clara Louise, born in Canton, December 22, 1877. The son is a
graduate of Cornell College, of the class of 1893, and for a time followed a jour-
nalistic career, but for the last three years has been pursuing a course of legal
studies, fitting himself for the profession of law.

Oscar Jay Boyer, a member of the bar of Canton, was born in Cass town-
ship, Fulton county, Illinois, on the 4th of July, 1861, his parents being Caleb



Online LibraryJohn M. (John McAuley) PalmerThe bench and the bar of Illinois : Historical and reminiscent (Volume v.2) → online text (page 60 of 83)