John M. (John McAuley) Palmer.

The bench and the bar of Illinois : Historical and reminiscent (Volume v.2) online

. (page 62 of 83)
Online LibraryJohn M. (John McAuley) PalmerThe bench and the bar of Illinois : Historical and reminiscent (Volume v.2) → online text (page 62 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the Civil war was inaugurated joined Company H, Eleventh Missouri Infantry,
in which he served for three years. Soon after his return he was married, De-
cember 8, 1864, to Caroline Augusta Legg, a native of Crawford county, Illinois,
and a daughter of John Legg, who was born in Vincennes, Indiana, and became
a farmer of Illinois. His wife also was a native of Crawford county, this state.
Henry Goodman became the owner of a forty-acre tract of timber land, which
he transformed into rich fields, and as time passed he extended the boundaries of
his place until it comprised one hundred and eighty acres, of which one hundred
and fifty acres were under a high state of cultivation at the time of his death,
which occurred March 2, 1887.

Upon the home farm Amos N. Goodman was reared, remaining there until
he had attained his majority, and during the last year he was manager of the
homestead. He attended the country schools until nineteen years of age, and on
the ist of January, 1888, began traveling for a Chicago grocery house, but be-
coming discouraged, after six weeks he abandoned that vocation and, in March,
1888, went to Piatt county, Illinois, where he worked as a farm hand until July,
when he returned home. He next bought a team of horses on credit and began
farming on his own account. He followed that pursuit two years, but having a
desire for professional life he sold off everything he had, realizing therefrom six
hundred dollars. In the fall of 1890, at the age of twenty-three years, he entered
the Illinois Normal University, at Carbondale, where he pursued his studies
throughout one school year and through two terms of the next year. During
the period intervening he engaged in bookkeeping for a seed and grain merchant,
and on leaving school he secured a position as teacher in Lawrence county, for
thirty-five dollars per month, completing his term of six months in March, 1893.
He then returned home, and in June began reading law under the direction of the
firm of Parker & Crowley, of Robison, Illinois. He was not admitted to the bar
until May, 1897, but in the meantime was elected county judge. On the 3d of

1054



THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS. 1055

March, 1894, just three months after becoming a resident of the county, Mr.
Goodman received the Republican nomination for county judge, his opponent
being the man who was then in office, while all the county offices were filled by
representatives of the opposition. In December, 1894, Judge Goodman entered
upon the discharge of the duties of the county bench and has proved a most ex-
cellent judge. He is a firm believer in the principles of Republicanism and does
all in his power to promote the growth and insure the success of his party.

On November 30, 1893, Thanksgiving day, before a large audience in
the Methodist church of Chauncey, Illinois, Judge Goodman married Emma
Anderson Legg, a native of Ohio, who at an early age came with her parents to
Illinois, the family locating on a farm near Chauncey. Her father died a few
years later, leaving the mother with a family of seven children, all of whom were
reared to years of maturity. Mrs. Goodman, prior to her marriage, was a
successful teacher in the schools of Crawford and Lawrence counties, and has
always been active in Christian work. By this marriage there is one son, Leo
Ernest, born August 28, 1895.

The Judge is a man of domestic tastes, fond of his home and family, and yet
not a recluse as regards social gatherings. He is of a jovial, genial disposition
and is popular in social and political circles. He is generous and free-hearted,
possesses scholarly tastes, reads extensively and has a well selected library. His
general qualities are those of the upright American citizen who is true in all the
relations of life and commands the respect of his fellow men.

Lewis F. Casey, deceased, for almost thirty years was prominently con-
nected with the most important litigation that was heard in the courts of his sec-
tion of the state. His high legal attainments won him eminence among his pro-
fessional brethren and his upright life and kindly manner secured him the respect
of all.

A native of Jefferson county, Illinois, Mr. Casey was born on the 23d of
April, 1821, and died in Centralia on the 2Oth of May, 1891, his span of life cover-
ing the Psalmist's three-score years and ten. His parents were Green P. and
Margaret P. Casey, the former a native of South Carolina, who emigrated to Illi-
nois before the admission of the state into the Union. He was thus actively
identified with its progress and development and is numbered among its hon-
ored pioneers. Born in Jefferson county at an early period in the history of Illi-
nois, Lewis F. Casey watched the substantial growth of the commonwealth, and
as a public-spirited citizen contributed to its advancement in all possible ways.
His literary education being completed, he resolved to devote his life to the prac-
tice of law and pursued his preparatory studies under the preceptorage of Hon.
W. B. Searls, of Mount Vernon, a celebrated jurist who ably directed his reading
until his admission to the bar in 1848.

Soon afterward Mr. Casey was elected county surveyor of Jefferson county,
and filled that office for eight years. In 1846 and 1847 he was a member of the
state legislature from that county, and from that time until his removal south-
ward was engaged in the practice of law, with moderate success. In 1852 he
went to Texas, where he resided for fourteen years. In 1854 he was elected



1056 THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS.

prosecuting attorney in that state, and was twice re-elected to that office for the
third judicial district, which comprised seven counties. The number of criminal
cases on the docket at that time was very large and he won considerable fame as
a prosecutor. From 1860 until 1864 he served as state senator from Shelby,
Sabine and Panola counties. Texas, and then continued in the private practice
of law in the Lone Star state until 1866, when he returned to Illinois, locating
in Centralia. Here he entered into partnership with Hon. S. L. Dwight, a
grandson of Governor Casey, of Illinois, and at the Centralia bar his success was
marked and immediate. An extensive and important clientage rewarded his
efforts. In his profession he was an untiring worker, preparing his cases with
the utmost regard to the detail of fact and the law involved. He never lost sight
of even the most minor point which might advance his client's interest, and at the
same time gave full weight to the important point upon which the decision finally
turns. His argument was incisive and logical, his enunciation clear and decided,
and his delivery strong. He viewed his case from every possible standpoint and
lost sight of no vantage ground or of any available point of attack in an op-
ponent's argument. He stooped to no questionable methods, was fair and just
to the opposition, and had the sincere respect of the members of the bar.

Mr. Casey was united in marriage to Miss Mary J., daughter of ex-Governor
Casey, of Illinois. He was a man of domestic tastes, and the pleasures of home
were more to him than the enticements of society. It must not be inferred, how-
ever, that he was a man of unsocial nature. On the other hand he was kind and
generous and ready in appreciation of good qualities in any individual, no matter
what his station in life. In manner he was ever courteous and genial, his deport-
ment at all times bespeaking the character of the true gentleman.

Samuel Lewis Dwight, judge of the fourth judicial circuit of Illinois, has
gained an eminent position at the bar of Illinois, and in his present official ca-
pacity stands as the conservator of that right and justice which are the protection
of human life and liberty. The legal profession demands a high order of ability,
and the judiciary, it is unnecessary to say, requires not only ability but a rare
combination of talent, learning, tact, patience and industry. The successful law-
yer and the competent judge must be a man of well balanced intellect, thoroughly
familiar with the law and practice, of comprehensive general information, possess-
ing an analytical mind and a self-control that will enable him to lose his individu-
ality, his personal feelings, his prejudices and the peculiarities of disposition in
the dignity, impartiality and equity of the office to which right, property, life
and liberty must look for protection. Judge Dwight has won high honors in his
chosen calling and merit has been the ladder on which he has risen to fame.

A native of Mount Vernon, Illinois, he was born March 15, 1841, and is a
son of Lewis Dwight, a native of Dudley, Massachusetts, who was educated in
Yale College, and when a young man came to the west. Locating in Mount
Vernon, he engaged in teaching and also labored as a minister of the Methodist
Episcopal church. He married Miss Mahala P. Casey, daughter of Governor Z.
Casey, one of the distinguished men of the state. The Judge was reared in the
city of his birth and there attended both public and private schools. Later he



THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS. 1057

pursued a one year's course of study in McKendree College, after which, on the
advice of his uncle, Samuel K. Casey, he became a law student in the office of
Tanner & Casey, of Mount Vernon. His studies, however, were interrupted by
his service in defense of the Union. Loyal to his country, he responded to the
call for aid, and enlisted as a private of Company I, Sixtieth Illinois Veteran
Volunteer Infantry. Later he was promoted to the captaincy of that company,
and for a time served as aid de camp on the staff of General Vandever. His
service included the celebrated march to the sea under General Sherman, and with
an honorable military record he returned home at the close of the war.

In 1866 Judge Dwight left Mount Vernon and removed to Centralia, where
he completed his legal studies and was licensed to practice law. He then en-
tered into partnership with Colonel Lewis F. Casey, which connection was con-
tinued until the death of the Colonel a few years ago. Judge Dwight then con-
tinued in the practice alone until his elevation to the bench in June, 1897. Care-
ful analysis, close reasoning, logical deductions and clear, concise statements
characterized his conduct of a suit. He realizes, as few men have done, the im-
portance of his profession and the fact that justice and the higher attribute of
mercy is often in his hands. His reputation as a lawyer has been won through
earnest, honest labor, and his standing at the bar is a merited tribute to his
ability. On the bench he is also demonstrating his power to handle with master-
ful skill the important and intricate questions which come before such a court,
and by his fair and impartial course, based upon a sense of equity and guided by
the soundest legal wisdom, he has won the confidence of the public and the high-
est respect of the bar.

On the 4th of September, 1872, Judge Dwight was married in Centralia,
Illinois, to M. Irene Noleman, the eldest daughter of Captain R. D. Noleman,
who up to the time of his death was very prominent as a Republican and in busi-
ness affairs. The Judge and Mrs. Dwight are identified with the Methodist
Episcopal church, and socially he is connected with the Grand Army of the Re-
public, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias fra-
ternity. In politics he has always been a stalwart Democrat and was elected on
that ticket to represent Marion county in the twenty-seventh general assembly
of Illinois. While on the bench he fully upholds the majesty of the law, and in
private life he is a social, genial companion and a loyal friend.

The following is a list of those who have been members of the bar of Marshall
county in the past : Welcome P. Brown, Ira Fenn, Silas Ramsey, Colonel
George W. Sands, Thomas Haskell, Mark Bangs, Henry Miller, Samuel Fleming,
Judge S. L. Richmond, Robert F. Winslow, Judge John Burns, Colonel G. L.
Fort, J. St. Clair Boal, Robert O'Hara, William Gallaher, P. S. Perley, Judge
N. M. Laws, George O. Barnes, Joseph E. Ong, David Muir, Francis H. Bond,
John P. Boice, R. D. Edwards, Alfred R. Gibbons, Andrew J. Bell, Smith M.
Garratt, James P. Worrell, Colonel George L. Simpson, T. A. McMorris, James
Cummings, Erastus W. Hazzard, Jesse Lynch, Captain Fred W. Shaw, William
Edwards, W. S. Willard, N. Q. Tanquary, C. C. Jones, Judge William J. Fort,
67



1058 THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS.

James Reily, E. J. Reily, Senator Charles N. Barnes, Judge Winslovv Evans, J.
J. Sands, Edward P. Harney, William Hawthorne.

The personnel of the present bar is as follows :

At Lacon, Judge T. M. Shaw, Judge E. D. Richmond, R. M. Barnes, J.
H. Franklin, B. W. Wright, L. C. McMurtrie, Homer Barney, Jacob Strawn,
Miss Emma Strawn, Alfred Strawn. At Henry, Fred S. Potter, Lee R. Kin-
near, Thomas F. Clover. At Wenona, John H. Jackson, George Ewalt.

Hon. Peleg Stone Perley was born in Livermore, Maine, and died at Phe-
nix, Arizona, after an illness of less than a week's duration, in the sixty-ninth
year of his age. He came from good New England stock, his father being a man
of prominence, holding many important positions which he always filled with
credit. His mother was a Howard, a sister to Gen. O. O. Howard's father.

His early life was spent on the farm. Being quick to learn and very stu-
dious he made such rapid progress that he was able to enter college at a very
early age. He chose for his alma mater ''Old Bowdoin," at the time second to
none. During his college life his health broke down and so severe was his sick-
ness that his life was despaired of. After losing an entire year he resumed his
studies and graduated with high honors.

After leaving college he entered upon the study of law with Fessenden &
Dubois, a firm of the highest standing in Portland, Maine. Upon the comple-
tion of his studies he came west. After a short time spent in New Albany, In-
diana, he came to Henry, Illinois, where he formed a partnership with E. W.
Hazzard. Afterwards T. A. McMorris, and later F. S. Potter were each a part-
ner, the latter a series of years. He made Henry his home until he found it
necessary to seek a more genial clime for the sake of the health of his family.

As a lawyer, from a financial standpoint, he was not a success. WTiile one
of the best read lawyers, he neither had the taste nor the makeup for the intrica-
cies and contentions that seem indispensable to success in the profession. His
was more of a literary nature. His superior culture and retiring disposition
seemed to point in this direction as the proper course to be pursued. He was
also a poet of no mean order, having the fire and the genius of the real poet.
His was a strong religious nature. During his residence in Henry he was often
called to positions of preferment by the action of his friends. He was a delegate
to the first state convention, which was held in Bloomington, for the purpose of
organizing the Republican party. Was also a delegate to the state convention
in 1858 which placed the name of Abraham Lincoln before the people of Illinois
as a candidate for the United States senate. Was the chairman of the conven-
tion at Fairbury that first nominated Colonel Fort for congress on the one hun-
dred and thirteenth ballot. As postmaster at Henry, as its city attorney, and the
many other places of trust and honor which were conferred upon him, they were
all filled by him with entire fidelity. But perhaps in none of these did he dis-
tinguish himself more than as a member of the state constitutional convention.
It was here that his forensic talents were displayed to their best advantage. He
spoke at least once upon every important question that came before the conven-



THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS, 1059

tion. His speeches were largely printed by the metropolitan press of the state,
and he was mentioned by them as a man of marked ability.

Elijah Dewey Richmond is numbered among the native sons of Illinois who
are representatives of the legal profession. Lacon, Marshall county, is the place
of his nativity and of his present residence. He was born March 18, 1859, being
a son of Samuel Lee and Susan (Hunt) Richmond, the former a native of Ver-
mont and the latter of Granville, Ohio. The father was born in 1824, and in his
boyhood removed with his parents to the Buckeye state, where he acquired an
academic education. Later he studied law in Louisville, Kentucky, and was
there admitted to practice. In 1848 he was united in marriage to Susan Hunt,
who was born in Granville, in 1821, a daughter of Elijah Dewey Hunt, who was
born in Vermont and became one of the early settlers of Ohio. Both the Rich-
mond and Hunt families were of English descent. The year following their mar-
riage Judge Samuel L. Richmond and his wife emigrated to Illinois, locating in
Princeton, where they remained for a year when they came to Lacon, then a
prosperous business center. Here the Judge made his home until his death, with
the exception of one year spent in St. Paul, Minnesota, and one year in Galena,
Illinois. In 1861 he was elected circuit judge of the twenty-third judicial circuit,
comprising the counties of Woodford, Marshall and Putnam. In 1867 he was
re-elected and was one of the best known jurists in central Illinois in the middle
of the century. He held court in Peoria, Tazewell, McLean and Champaign
counties, as well as in his own district, and his superior ability made him one of
the most popular circuit judges that Illinois has produced. He died February
19, 1873, in his forty-ninth year.

Elijah D. Richmond attended the common schools of Lacon until fourteen
years of age and then accompanied his mother to Douglas county, Illinois. The
father having died, the family were left in rather straitened circumstances, and
the mother believed that she could better keep her family together and provide
for their maintenance by establishing their home upon a farm. During much
of his youth our subject was in delicate health, and he found the work of the farm
not altogether to his taste, but it undoubtedly brought him the physical strength
and vigor which have enabled him in later life to conduct his professional duties.
He had no opportunity to continue his education, save for a six-months attend-
ance at a business college in Peoria, Illinois. Forced to abandon his desire to
acquire a collegiate education, he determined to take up the study of law, and at
the age of twenty-one entered the office of Shaw & Edwards, well known attor-
neys of Lacon, who directed his reading until his admission to the bar in Janu-
ary, 1883.

In 1881, while engaged in study, he was elected town clerk of Lacon town-
ship, which position he filled until 1885. In 1883 he was elected city attorney for
a two-years term, and in 1884 was elected state's attorney for Marshall county,
filling that office for six years, when, in 1890, he resigned in order to accept the
nomination for county judge. The election returns showed that he was the
popular candidate, and after a faithful and acceptable administration of the af-
fairs of that office through four years, he was re-elected, and is now serving on



1060 THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS.

the bench. Thus, almost from the time he entered upon his legal studies, he has
been continued in offices connected with the profession of law, and throughout
his county he is recognized as a leading member of the bar. He is most conscien-
tious and faithful in the discharge of his duties, and on the bench has adminis-
tered justice with a fair and impartial hand. He has also been connected with a
number of public enterprises of the city, and withholds his support from no move-
ment or measures intended for the public good. He is a member and treasurer
of the board of education of the Lacon union-school district, and is also treas-
urer of the Lacon School and Public Library Association.

Judge Richmond was at one time a member of Company G, Sixth Regiment,
Illinois National Guard, which he joined in 1884. He was appointed first ser-
geant of the company, and in August, 1886, was commissioned first lieutenant.
In the spring of that year the company was called into active service to quell the
outbreak of the strikers in East St. Louis, where they remained for seventeen
days. In politics he has always been an active and consistent Democrat, yet en-
joys the respect of his political opponents, especially in his official capacity.
He is an advocate of the Monroe doctrine and opposed to the annexation of dis-
tant territory. He was made a Mason in Lacon Lodge, No. 61, A. F. & A. M.,
in 1889, served as worshipful master two terms and also filled the office of chap-
lain. In 1890 he was exalted to the degree of Royal Arch Mason, in Lacon
Chapter, No. 123, and has twice served as high priest. His religious views ac-
cord largely with the doctrine of the Universalist denomination, but he is not a
member of any church.

On the 28th of July, 1892, in Lacon, Judge Richmond married Miss Jennie
M. Hoyt, a daughter of James Hoyt, who was born in Stamford, Connecticut, in
1807 and is still living. He is a representative of an old New England family
that traces its lineage back to the days of the Pilgrims. In 1837 he came to Illi-
nois, locating in Marshall county in the spring of 1838. In 1853 he married
Eliza J. Mathis, of Putnam county, Illinois, and they became the parents of two
children, Charles E., now of Lacon, and Mrs. Richmond. The latter was born
and reared in Marshall county and was graduated in the Lacon high school.
She then studied for one year in New York city and was graduated in the Boston
Conservatory of Music in 1886. The following year she accepted the position of
instructor of music in Cornell College, Mount Vernon, Iowa, where she remained
until the spring of 1892. By her marriage she has become the mother of three
children : Geraldine, now five years of age ; Lyle Lee, four years old ; and Paul
James, two years old. The Judge and his wife have a wide acquaintance in
central Illinois and they enjoy the hospitality of the best homes.

Edward Laning is a well known member of the bar of Petersburg and a
prominent leader in the ranks of the Democratic party of Illinois. He was born
in Springfield, Ohio, on the 2Oth of December, 1836, and is a son of Jacob H. and
Hannah (Silver) Laning, both of whom were natives of New Jersey. In 1837
they removed to Illinois, locating in Petersburg, and thus, since his infancy, our
subject has been a resident of this city. His great-grandfather on the paternal



THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS. 1061

side was a Revolutionary soldier, who valiantly fought for the liberty and inde-
pendence of the colonies.

In the common schools Edward Laning began his education which was sup-
plemented by a course in Lombard University, of Galesburg, Illinois, and by
study in the Wesleyan University, at Bloomington. In the latter institution he
was the classmate and close personal friend of Hon. Adlai E. Stevenson, and to
this day the friendship has been continued. After graduating at Lombard he
went south, studied law and was admitted to the bar at San Augustine, Texas, in
1860. Upon the breaking out of the Civil war his Union sentiments compelled
him to leave the south, and early in 1862 he made his way to the Union forces in
front of Vicksburg. Commodore Davis was in command of the Upper Missis-
sippi flotilla and as marine on board the flagship Benton he took part in the first
bombardment and water attack on Vicksburg.

Returning to Petersburg, Illinois, he resumed the practice of law and now
continues in the profession there, enjoying a lucrative practice and being con-
nected with much of the important litigation in Menard and adjoining counties.
He served as county superintendent of the schools of Menard county, and in
1868 was elected to the house of representatives, serving one term. He was
elected state senator in 1872 and again in 1880. During both terms he was a
hard-working legislator. After the adoption of the constitution of 1870 as mem-
ber of the legislative committee on revision of the statutes he performed much
labor in shaping the laws of the state. At the Democratic national convention
in 1892, when his" old friend Mr. Stevenson was named for the second highest
office within the gift of the people, Mr. Laning was most active in his support,
and among the first to heartily congratulate him.

In 1869 Mr. Laning was married to Miss Olivia Lane, of Kentucky, and
they have one son and one daughter.



Online LibraryJohn M. (John McAuley) PalmerThe bench and the bar of Illinois : Historical and reminiscent (Volume v.2) → online text (page 62 of 83)