John M. (John McAuley) Palmer.

The bench and the bar of Illinois : Historical and reminiscent (Volume v.2) online

. (page 70 of 83)
Online LibraryJohn M. (John McAuley) PalmerThe bench and the bar of Illinois : Historical and reminiscent (Volume v.2) → online text (page 70 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


since he became prominent in political circles in this state and his power and in-
fluence is a recognized factor in political campaigns.

The marriage of Mr. King and Miss Nancy E. Morrow was celebrated in

1875-

Henry Thomas Rainey, of Carrollton, is the subject of the following para-
graphs. The Rainey family, of Carrollton, is one of the oldest and most highly
respected in this section of the state. As early as 1832 or 1833 the grandfather
of the subject of this article, Major W. C. Rainey, came to this place, and here
some of his descendants have since resided, being intimately associated with the
progress and advancing prosperity of this locality. The Major won his title by
meritorious service in the Mexican war. The maternal grandfather of our sub-
ject was one of the pioneers of Greene county, Illinois, locating there in 1818, and
thus it may be seen that Henry Thomas Rainey comes from families who assisted
in the founding of the state and in the development of her then unknown and
unexplored resources.

The eldest of the three children of John and Catherine (Thomas) Rainey,
who were farmers by occupation, and residents of this county, H. T. Rainey was
born August 20, 1860, in Carrollton. Here he attended the public schools, pre-
pared for college in Knox Academy, and later went to Knox College, Galesburg,
Illinois. He next became a student in Amherst College and was graduated in
that classic institution of learning in 1883, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts.

It had been the ambition of the young man for some time to enter the legal
profession and he next took up the study of law. In 1885 he was graduated in
the Union College of Law, of Chicago, that being the law department of the
Northwestern University, and the same year was initiated into regular practice
in Carrollton. For about a year he was in partnership with James M. Brown,
later was associated with H. C. Withers, and for several years has been conduct-
ing practice alone. He is the local attorney for the Chicago & Alton Railroad,
and is the legal representative of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad in
all its litigation in this county. From 1887 to 1894 he was master in chancery in
Greene county, and then resigned.

In the Democratic party he is very prominent, and in 1888 and again in 1892



1 1 14 THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS.

and 1896, did some very effective campaign work on behalf of his platform and
nominees. He was chosen as the presidential elector from the sixteenth district
in 1896, and at present has the endorsement of his party friends of this county and
elsewhere for congress. Fraternally, he is a member of the Odd Fellows ; the
Knights of Pythias and the Modern Woodmen of America. In 1886 Amherst
College conferred the degree of Master of Arts upon him for special post-gradu-
ate work. In 1888 Mr. Rainey married Miss Ella McBride, of Harvard, Ne-
braska.



CHAPTER LXI.

LEADERS OF THE BAR IN EDGAR, DOUGLAS, HENDERSON, IROQUOIS, JASPER,
LEE, McHENRY, MERCER, PIATT AND PULASKI COUNTIES.

IT Y. TROGDON. At an early period in the development of Edgar county,
jTT Andrew York Trogdon was born on a farm eight miles east of Paris,
-* *- the ninth son in a family of twelve children, whose parents were Samuel
and Ellender (Swafford) Trogdon. Both parents were natives of North Caro-
lina, and were born in Asheville, that state. Andrew York was a cousin of his
namesake, the subject of this sketch, and the latter's paternal grandmother was
a York, descended from the prominent English family of that name. Samuel
Trogdon followed the various pursuits of a tanner, miller, blacksmith and
farmer, and was also a great lover of hunting and fishing. An expert mechanic,
he could make anything in wood or iron that he had ever seen, from a horse-
shoe nail to a gun complete, including all kinds of farming implements. He
first visited Illinois in 1815, and removed his family to this state in 1825, locat-
ing in the midst of the forest, in Elbridge township, Edgar county. Subse-
quently he removed to a prairie farm, located on what was known as the north
arm of the grand prairie, where the blue-stem grass grew so high that a man
could sit on his horse and tie the grass above his head. His grandfather was
a native of England, and part of the ancestral home is still in possession of
members of the family, while a mountain in that locality is known as the Trog-
don mountain.

Judge Trogdon, of this review, was reared in the county of his nativity,
and in his early youth was for eight weeks a student in a log school-house, the
first built in the county. He attended the schools of Paris to a limited extent,
but his early privileges in that direction were very limited. Subsequently, how-
ever, he pursued an irregular classical course, together with Latin, German
and French, in Asbury University, at Greencastle, Indiana, but did not grad-
uate. In his very early childhood it seemed probable that he would become a
physician, as he was always concocting medicines from roots and herbs, but
at one time he used one of these preparations on a calf which he owned, and the
calf died! This cut short his career as an M. D., but, though he was only seven
years of age at the time, the title of "Doc," given him by his older brothers,
clung to him for many years. When still quite young he left home .to make his
own way in the world unaided. His father died September 20, 1840, and his
mother afterward married William Gannon. The family then removed to a
farm near Terre Haute, Indiana, and on one occasion the Judge and his brother
were set to burning logs and brush. Igniting the pile, they left it to be con-
sumed, while they, unbeknown to their mother, slipped away to town to sell

"IS



iu6 THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS.

some eggs. While in the city they became engaged in a fight with some other
boys, and the trouble between the two factions lasted for three or four hours.
The dinner hour had long since passed when they returned home, and when
their stepfather learned the cause of the delay he attempted to administer punish-
ment, but the boys had just conquered in one fight and now did not propose to
endure a whipping. Retreating behind a pile of stones they defied their step-
father and escaped the whipping, but the result of it all was that he told them
they must leave home.

That Judge Trogdon had determined to do, regardless of his stepfather's
wish, and on a beautiful morning in May, 1848, he severed the ties that bound
him to home, and started out to make his own way in the world, his destination
being Buchanan county, Iowa. On his way he worked for twenty-eight days,
at twenty-five cents per day, for Captain Isaac Sandford, who had served in
the Black Hawk war. With his wages added to his previous capital he had
seven dollars and a quarter, and on arriving near Independence, Iowa, he had
three dollars and seventy-five cents. In that locality he engaged in breaking
prairie and in hauling with an ox team, until August 30, 1851, when he sold his
Iowa possessions and returned to Illinois, where in connection with his brothers,
he secured and fenced a farm of eighteen hundred acres. He carried on agricul-
tural pursuits for some time, and in the interval taught school for one year in
Rankin county, Mississippi. Later he attended school, and in 1855 started for
Kansas, but went instead to St. Paul, Minnesota, with a drove of cattle, and pre-
empted one hundred and sixty acres of government land, twenty-two miles south
of St. Paul. From near St. Paul he went west to near New Ulm, Minnesota,
where he and his brother, James B. Trogdon, carried on farming until 1857, and
in 1862, during the Sioux war, the Indians killed nine white people on the Trog-
don farm, and destroyed everything on the farm except the house and one boy
whom the Indians left for dead. His brother was engaged in said war against
the Sioux at New Ulm, and the old citizens of that vicinity remember his heroic
conduct. Judge Trogdon returned to Terre Haute, Indiana, and engaged in
the study of law under the direction of John P. Usher and Chambers Y. Patter-
son, the former of whom was secretary of the interior under President Lincoln,
and the latter the incumbent as mayor and circuit judge. Later he was in the
offices of Hon. Harvey D. Scott and Newton Booth, later governor of California
and United States senator. The circumstance which won him the nickname of
"Doc" undoubtedly had something to do with his choice of the legal profession.
He greatly disliked that appellation and as his acquaintances sometimes re-
marked "He was as sober as a judge," he determined to win the latter title in
very truth. He entered upon the practice of his chosen profession in Terre
Haute, in 1857, and the following year came to Paris, Illinois, where he has
since remained. He was admitted to the Illinois bar in 1859, was afterward admit-
ted to practice in the federal courts, and in 1860 was elected town clerk. He
continued in active and successful practice until 1865, when he was elected judge
of Edgar county for a four-years term, on the expiration of which, in 1869, he
was elected mayor of Paris, and commissioned by General John M. Palmer,



THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS. 1117

May 17, 1870, the only commissioned mayor Paris has ever had. Under the
law he was vested with almost plenary power and was ex officio justice. In 1877
he was again elected county judge, and as the term was, by law, continued one
year, he held the office for five years. In 1882 he was again chosen for that posi-
tion, and on his retirement, in 1886, his service in that capacity had covered
thirteen years and was marked by the most prompt, conscientious and able dis-
charge of duty. In 1890 he was once more a candidate for county judge, but
was defeated.

In 1879 Judge Trogdon engaged in the marble business, and this enterprise
has since grown to extensive proportions and proved a valuable source of in-
come. He yet carried on operations along that line, in addition to his law prac-
tice. For several years past he has made a specialty of pension claims and is
recognized as one of the best pension attorneys in this section of Illinois. Hav-
ing thoroughly acquainted himself with the pension laws he is unusually suc-
cessful in pushing claims to a speedy adjustment. As a judge of law he stands
high in the estimation of the people, and during the thirteen years of his service
as county judge perfect satisfaction was given and his decisions were almost
without exception correct.

In Edgar county, Illinois, Judge Trogdon married Miss Mary C. Clapp,
who was born in Xorth Carolina, in 1859. Their children are Alice, Jessie,
Como, Ida, Dick and Lula. All of the daughters have been successful school-
teachers, and Jessie has served as notary public, while Lula is now filling that
position. The sons have been members of the Illinois National Guard, and
Como was the leading musician for the Fourth Regiment of Illinois Volun-
teers, at Camp Cuba Libre, Jacksonville, Florida.

The Judge has always been a stanch Republican in his political views. Al-
though he has never belonged to any church, he has aided quite liberally in the
support of many, and ever advocates all measures for the public good. He has
held membership in a number of secret societies, has been honored with office
in all of them, and in 1878 was grand president of the Independent Order of
Mutual Aid, in Illinois.

John William Doak was born on the farm of his maternal grandfather, near
Baldwinsville, Illinois. March 14, 1866. The ancestry of the family can be
traced back to Samuel Doak, D. D., who was graduated in Princeton College
under the preceptorage of Dr. Witherspoon. He was born in Augusta county,
Virginia, and his parents were Scotch-Irish emigrants who, on leaving the
northern part of the Emerald Isle, crossed the Atlantic to Pennsylvania. Rev.
Samuel Doak married Miss Esther Montgomery, also of Virginia, and became
an eminent pioneer Presbyterian preacher of eastern Tennessee. He was also
the founder and first president of the Washington College, of Tennessee, "the first
literary institution west of the Alleghany mountains." He was the father of Rev.
John W. Doak, the great-grandfather of our subject, who married a Miss Alex-
ander, cousin of Rev. A. A. Alexander, of the Princeton Theological Seminary.
Their son, Dr. John N. Doak, married Martha Payne, of Tennessee, and was
the father of John Whitefield Newton Doak, the father of our subject. The last



iu8 THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS.

named married Emily Guthrie, for many years a public-school teacher in Edgar
county, Illinois, and of Scotch, English and German descent. She is stin living,
but her husband died before the birth of his son John, whose name begins this
review. During the civil war he enlisted in Company E, Sixty-sixth Illinois
Infantry, known as "Birge's Sharpshooters," and died in 1865, after the close of
the war.

John W. Doak, of this sketch, was reared amid the scenes and interests of
rural life, and prior to his thirteenth year attended chiefly the schools taught by
his mother. He then entered the public schools of Paris, Illinois, and was grad-
uated in the high school there in 1883, standing at the head of a class of sixteen.
He was a boy of active habits, fond of the pursuits of the farm and with a love
for the works of nature in their simplicity, but as the years passed he became
imbued with a desire to become a public speaker and enter a professional career,
which desire ultimately led him into the legal profession. He was a student in
Wabash College, at Crawfordsville, Indiana, from 1883 until 1885, and com-
pleted the freshman and sophomore years with oratorical honors. In that insti-
tution he pursued the engineering and literary course, and after beginning the
study of law he followed surveying and leveling to some extent, having become
familiar with the work through the aid of a maternal great-uncle who was an
old-time surveyor.

For nearly three years Mr. Doak studied law, pursuing his course in the
office of James A. Eads and that of the firm of Sellar & Dole, of Paris, and was
admitted to the bar, in Springfield, in 1888. He has since practiced in Paris,
with good success. He is careful and conscientious in his legal work, with a
mind of rather more of a judicial cast than inclined to the contests of the forum.
In April, 1897, he was elected justice of the peace.

Mr. Doak is a stanch Republican in politics, and was active in the campaign
in 1896, delivering many political speeches in his county. For two years, from
1882 until 1884, he was a member of Company H, Fourth Illinois National
Guard. He is a member of Tau chapter, of Wabash College, of the Beta Theta
Pi, a Greek college society, with which he has been connected since December,
1883; became a member of Paris Lodge, No. 268, A. F. & A. M., in 1897; the
following year joined Edgar Chapter, R. A. M. ; and since 1886 has been a mem-
ber of the Presbyterian church.

Captain Joseph P. Barricklow, a leading member of the bar of Arcola, Illi-
nois, is numbered among the native sons of Indiana, his birth having occurred
in Rising Sun, on the 7th of February, 1867. His parents were Elias and Eliza
A. Barricklow. The father was a farmer by occupation and died on the I2th of
March, 1895, but the mother is still living. The family is of Dutch origin and was
founded in America by emigrants from Holland, who located in New Amster-
dam, now New York, in the early settlement of the Empire state.

During his boyhood the subject of this review was brought by his parents
to Arcola, where he was reared to manhood and acquired his literary education,
which was completed by his graduation in the high school, in 1885. It was his
desire to enter the legal profession, but not having the means to prosecute his



THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS. 1119

studies along that line he turned his attention to teaching, which he successfully
followed until the spring of 1892. He thought also to extend his field of opera-
tions and add to his financial resources by engaging in a manufacturing enter-
prise, but that proved a source of loss instead of profit, and the failure of the
firm, in 1892, left him without anything. In the meantime, however, he had
begun reading law in Arcola, and had so far mastered the principles of juris-
prudence that in May, 1893, he was admitted to the bar and began practice. His
comprehensive knowledge, his power to analyze a case and determine the main
points with accuracy, combined with the strength with which he presents his
cause to judge or jury, have won him a place among the able practitioners of his
part of the state and he has been concerned in the conduct of some of the most
important litigation heard in the courts of his county. He enjoys a good client-
age, and his close application and fidelity to his patrons' interests will insure him
still greater success when he resumes the practice of law.

At the time this sketch was written, September, 1898, Mr. Barricklow was
devoting himself to his country's service, having enlisted in the war with Spain.
On the 26th of March, 1886, he joined the Illinois National Guard, as a member
of Company A, Eighth Regiment, and on the 5th of September, 1888, was pro-
moted to the rank of second lieutenant, serving in that capacity until the 22d
of June, 1892, when he became first lieutenant in Company A, Fourth Illinois
National Guard. On the 2d of April, 1898, he was made captain of his com-
pany, and when hostilities with Spain were declared he put aside all personal
considerations that he might go forth with his command to the defense of his
country. He was mustered into the United States service on the 2Oth of May
as captain of Company A, Fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and assigned to
duty with the Seventh Army Corps, at Jacksonville, Florida, under Major Gen-
eral Lee. To those who know Captain Barricklow it was not difficult to predict
that he would be found wherever duty called him, and his loyalty to .his country
was shown by his prompt response to the call of President McKinley for aid.

The Captain votes with the Democracy and is one of the prominent repre-
sentatives of the party in his district, which he has twice represented in the state
legislature, serving in the session of 1894-5 and again in 1896-7. He studied
closely the political problems of the day, carefully considered each measure that
came up for settlement and supported every interest which he believed to be for
the general good. He was married July 29, 1895, to Miss Minnie McWilliams,
of Arcola, and they have a little daughter," Helen, born April 15, 1897. Popular
in military, professional, political and social circles, Captain Barricklow could
not but be gladly welcomed to his home when the country no longer needed his
services.

John H. Chadwick came from the Keystone state to Illinois to join the bar
of this commonwealth. He was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, on
the loth of December, 1860, and is a son of J. M. Chadwick, also a native of the
same county and a farmer by occupation. Therefore John H. Chadwick had the
usual experiences that fall to the lot of the farmer's son, such as plowing,
planting and harvesting, while, in the intervals of farm labor, he attended the



1 120 THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS.

district schools of the neighborhood and laid the foundation for a more advanced
education. At an early age he began working as a farm hand, b\ the month ;
but with a desire for better educational advantages than he had enjoyed, he en-
tered the State Normal School, at Edinboro, Pennsylvania, in which institution
he was graduated on the completion of the regular course. He also attended
the Waynesburg College and, coming to the west, he read law in the office of
Eckhart & Moore, of Tuscola, Illinois. He also pursued his law studies in the
Wesleyan Law University, of Bloomington, and in 1891 he graduated and was
admitted to the bar.

Mr. Chadwick began practice in 1892, and the same year was elected state's
attorney of Douglas county, for a four-years term. So ably and conscientiously
did he perform the duties of the position that he was re-elected in 1896, and is
now serving his second term. He has won the commendation of the bar and
the court, and has gained some notable forensic successes. He recently secured
the conviction of John -W. Appleton, who was tried for murder and sentenced
to twenty-five years in the state penitentiary. (The case has since been reversed.)
He has also conducted the prosecution in other important cases and is a lawyer
of recognized ability, forceful in the trial of a cause, logical in argument, and
accurate in his reasoning.

In politics Mr. Chadwick is a Republican, deeply interested in the growth
and success of his party, and firm in his advocacy of its principles. He married
Miss Ella Russell, of Chrisman, Illinois, a former teacher in the schools of Tus-
cola. She is a lady of culture and refinement, and is now an efficient and pro-
gressive member of the school board of Tuscola.

Rauseldon Cooper, the present county judge of Henderson county, Illinois,
and a prominent citizen of Oquawka, was born in Wayne county, Indiana, on the
24th of December, 1845, ms parents being John and Martha Cooper. The fath-
er's family came originally from Washington county, Pennsylvania, and in his
youth he was a playmate of Oliver P. Morton. His wife was a member of the
Society of Friends in early life and was disowned by the church on account of
marrying outside its fold. Her people were from North Carolina, but little is
known concerning the ancestry of the Judge, the family priding itself on Amer-
ican citizenship more than on ancient lineage.

In his early childhood Judge Cooper was brought by his uncle and grand-
mother's family to Henderson county, and in the common schools near his uncle's
farm he acquired his elementary education, which was supplemented by a course
in Lombard University, of Galesburg, Illinois. He entered that institution in
1863 and was graduated in 1869, having in the meantime engaged in teaching
to some extent. His preference was for the natural sciences, botany, geology
and physics, and this love of investigation and analyzation is now manifest in
his handling of intricate law problems. After his graduation he returned to his
father's farm and at his father's request assumed the position of general man-
ager, continuing in charge for six years, but not finding that business entirely
satisfactory he operated a stationary engine for eighteen months, and in the mean-
time taught school, spending five terms as teacher, through his college course,



THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS. 1121

and while in charge of the farm. In the fall of 1873 he abandoned the care of
field and meadow and entered upon the study of law in the State University of
Michigan, at Ann Arbor, where he was graduated in the spring of 1875. He
spent the succeeding summer and autumn on the old homestead, and in February,
1876, opened a law office in Oquawka, where he has since remained, enjoying a
good business from the beginning of his professional career. He was retained on
one side or the other of almost all the important litigation heard in the courts of
his district until his election to the bench, and was the original investigator in
the contest of the village of Oquawka with its bondholders that resulted in litiga-
tion in the United States courts, relieving the village of about forty thousand dol-
lars' indebtedness. In 1880 he was elected state's attorney of Henderson county
and held the office for ten consecutive years, when he resigned. In 1890 he was
elected county judge, and is the present incumbent, his continuous official service
therefore covering eighteen years.

In September, 1875, Judge Cooper was united in marriage to Miss Susie
E. Cummins, of Ann Arbor, Michigan, who traces her ancestry back to John
Hart, famous in connection with the Declaration of Independence. They are
now parents of five children: Moses Roscoe, who was born July 7, 1876; Mar-
garet Elnora, born September 6, 1877; Rauseldon, born March 14, 1880; Harry
Mac, born June 7, 1882, and Leona, born June 10, 1886. The Judge is connected
with two fraternal organizations. Since 1878 he has been a member of the. Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows, and for ten years has been affiliated with the
Modern Woodmen of America. His political support has always been given the
Republican party since he attained the right of franchise, for he believes that it
embodies the most business-like principles and the methods of strong govern-



Online LibraryJohn M. (John McAuley) PalmerThe bench and the bar of Illinois : Historical and reminiscent (Volume v.2) → online text (page 70 of 83)