John M. (John McAuley) Palmer.

The bench and the bar of Illinois : Historical and reminiscent (Volume v.2) online

. (page 72 of 83)
Online LibraryJohn M. (John McAuley) PalmerThe bench and the bar of Illinois : Historical and reminiscent (Volume v.2) → online text (page 72 of 83)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


as a life work, he became a student in the law office of his brother, Bernard H.
Trusdell, who resided in Amboy. In January, 1866, he was admitted to the bar,
and in May of the same year removed to Cairo, Illinois, where he remained until
the following December, practicing his profession. He then returned to Amboy
and after visiting there for a brief period decided to make Dixon his future home.

On the 7th of February, 1867, Mr. Trusdell carried out his determination



THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS. 1129

by taking up his residence here, and soon he entered upon what has been an
eminently successful career at the bar of Lee county. There was hardly an im-
portant case tried in Lee county during Mr. Trusdell's active professional life in
which he did not appear on one side or the other, and his success was most grat-
ifying to himself and friends, as well as pecuniarily profitable. The painstaking
research and careful study which he gave to the various matters committed to
his professional care, however, told upon his health, and, acting under the advice
of his physician, he gave up active practice in 1879 and spent five months in
travel in the south. Being greatly benefited thereby, he returned to his home and
resumed the practice of law, but has refrained from accepting too much business.
He is recognized as one of the most able lawyers of Dixon, and the interests en-
trusted to him are always of a very important character.

In his political faith Mr. Trusdell was always a pronounced Democrat until
1896, when, being unable to endorse the free-silver principles of the party, he
allied himself with the gold wing of the Democracy. The only office he has ever
held is that of member of the Democratic state central committee.

Colonel L. S. Church was born in Nunda, New York, in 1820 and passed
his early years on a farm. At an early age he began teaching school to earn
money to prosecute his studies; and in June, 1843, came west and settled in Mc-
Henry. He was then a stranger, without money, and had walked part of the way
from New York. Soon after reaching McHenry county he married and took a trip
to Springfield, where he was examined before Hon. S. H. Treat and was ad-
mitted to the bar. He at once began practice at McHenry and took a leading
position at the bar. Soon after the county-seat was removed he located at Wood-
stock, where he lived the remainder of his 'life. In politics Mr. Church was a
Whig until 1856, in which year he gave his support to Fremont. In the same
year he was Republican candidate for the legislature, was elected and distin-
guished himself as one of the ablest members of the house. He was re-elected
in 1858 and became one of the leaders of the house. In 1860 he was a candidate
for congress, but was defeated in convention by Hon. E. B. Washburne. The
same fall he was again chosen representative in the legislature and Speaker Cul-
lom appointed him chairman of the judiciary committee. In 1862 he aided in
recruiting the Ninety-fifth Regiment of Illinois Volunteers, was elected colonel
of the regiment and went into camp with it at Rockford. His health soon
failed, and he was compelled to resign his command and return home. He never
again fully regained his health. In 1866, on the death of his law partner. Hon.
William Kerr, county judge, Mr. Church discharged the duties of that office for
the unexpired term. In 1869 he was elected a member of the state constitutional
convention. Colonel Church died in Woodstock July 23. 1870. The following
from the Chicago Tribune was written at the time of his death: "Mr. Cliurch
has been during the past fifteen years one of the leading minds of the state, and
although he has held few public offices his influence has been felt as that of a man
of mark on every occasion calling for the exercise of strong will, high courage,
and true eloquence. He was a man of sterling integrity as well as of brilliant'
intellect."



1 1 30 THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS.

James H. Connell was born in Toronto, Canada, on the 5th of November,
1844, his parents being William and Isabella (Leishman) Connell, the former a
native of Glasgow, Scotland, the latter of Perth, in the same country. They were
married in the land of their nativity and were on the way to the United States
when the birth of our subject occurred. In 1846 they removed to Buffalo, New
York, and the following year came to the west, locating in Sycamore, Illinois.
The father engaged in the hardware business and thereby supported his family.

James H. Connell was only three years old when brought by his parents
to Sycamore, where he acquired his literary education in the common school and
academy of that town. On laying aside his text-books he went to Chicago, ar-
riving in the metropolis in 1862. There he secured a position as shipping clerk
in a wholesale drugstore, where he remained until 1864, when he entered the mil-
itary' service of the country. At the beginning of the war he had attempted to
enlist, but was not accepted, and in the spring of 1864 he again made the attempt
and was assigned to duty with Company F, One Hundred and Thirty-second
Illinois Infantry, doing duty in Kentucky and Tennessee until the close of the
war.

When hostilities had ceased and the country no longer needed his services.
Mr. Connell came to Aledo, Illinois, in the fall of 1865, and the following year
entered upon the study of law. being admitted to the bar in 1868. Since that
time he has been an active practitioner in Aledo, and the volume and character
of his business indicate his pronounced ability and his fidelity to the interests of
his clients. In 1877 he was chosen master in chancery and held the office for
three terms. In 1866 he was elected county judge, in 1890 was re-elected, and in
1894. was chosen for a third term, so that he is the incumbent at this writing.
Twelve years of service is an unmistakable evidence of the confidence reposed
in him by the public ; and the public never gives its confidence where merit is
lacking. It is a discriminating factor, and its approval always indicates ability,
faithfulness and a high order of talent.

On the 8th of June, 1870, Judge Connell was married, in Aledo, Illinois, to
Miss Lallie Arthur, daughter of General John T. Arthur, who served through
the Mexican war and died some years ago. The Judge attends the Congrega-
tional church and is liberal in his views on matters of religion. He belongs to
the Masonic order, the Knights of Pythias and several insurance fraternities, but
is not active in any of them. In politics he has always taken a deep interest.
He has been an advocate of Republican principles since the organization of that
party, and participated in the campaign of 1860, supporting Lincoln and Hamlin,
although not a voter at that time. His influence and support have ever been
given the party and his advocacy of its principles from the lecture platform has
not been without good results. Throughout his professional career he has been
a resident of Aledo, where he is esteemed no less for his high character than
his marked ability as a representative of the judiciary of Illinois.

James M. B'rock, the present state's attorney of Mercer county, was born in
Ulrichsville, Tuscarawas county, Ohio, on the I5th of January, 1861, a son of
Jesse and Matilda Brock, farming people of the Buckeye state. In the family



THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS. 1131

were five brothers, but only James and Thomas J. are now living. The former
acquired his elementary education in the schools near his home, and was reared
on the farm, aiding in the cultivation of field and meadow. He lost his father
when thirteen years of age, and his mother when nineteen. He then came to
Illinois and entered upon the study of law in the office of Brock & Morgan, of
Aledo, with whom he remained until becoming a student in the law department
of the Illinois Weslevan University, at Bloomington, Illinois. He was admitted
to practice by the supreme court in the spring of 1883 and has since been a mem-
ber of the Aledo bar, where his close application, accurate legal learning and
perseverance have gained him prestige. In 1888 he was elected state's attorney
of Mercer county and is still holding that office, serving now in his third term.
In 1803 he was elected mayor of Aledo, and his administration of municipal af-
fairs through a two-years term was satisfactory to the public and creditable to
himself. He has always been a Republican, active in support of the party, and
his influence has contributed not a little to its success.

On the ist of May, 1889, in Los Angeles, California, Mr. Brock was united
in marriage to Miss Clarance Fargo, and they have one child, Fargo Brock, born
August 27, 1895. In 1887 Mr. Brock became a member of the Knights of Py-
thias lodge, of Aledo, in which he held the office of chancellor commander two
terms. In 1894 he joined the Modern Woodmen, and in 1898 became a member
of the blue lodge of Masons and also the chapter. He is a man of most cour-
teous manners and yet firm and unyielding in all that he believes to be right.
Whatever he does is for the best interests of his clients and for the honor of his
profession. No man gives to either a more unqualified allegiance or riper ability,
and these qualities have won for him the admiration and respect of all who know
him.

William T. Church, in the six years in which he has practiced in Aledo, has
gained a prominence for which many men have striven a life-time. This is not
due to a combination of fortunate circumstances or to the aid of influential
friends, but results from the fact that he is a close student, a logical reasoner
and above all an indefatigable worker. He is a young man of only twenty-eight
years, his birth having occurred in New Boston township, Mercer county, Illi-
nois, March 10, 1871. His parents were Thomas and Jane A. (Childs) Church,
the former a farmer and stock-raiser. His death occurred in December, 1894,
and his wife passed away in May, 1878.

In his youth William T. Church attended the common schools, and at night,
in the mornings and through the periods of vacation he assisted in the work of
the home farm. Later he was a student in the village school of Joy, Illinois, and
then entered the New Boston high school, where he was graduated April 27,
1888. He received a business training in the Iowa Commercial College, of
Davenport, Iowa, and was graduated in that institution March i, 1889. On the
ist of June of the same year he became a law student in the office of Hon. James
M- Brock, of Mercer county, Illinois, then prosecuting attorney of the county,
under whose direction he continued his reading until September, 1890, when he
entered the Bloomington Law School, of Bloomington, Illinois, being graduated



1132 THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS.

in June, 1891, with the degree of LL. B., having passed the examination for ad-
mission to the bar at Springfield, in May, 1891.

Mr. Church then returned to Aledo and re-entered the law office of James
M. Brock, to gain there the practical as well as theoretical knowledge of the
workings of the court, and with his preceptor continued his studies until the
spring of 1892, when he went to the state of Washington to seek a location. Not
being pleased with the far west, however, he returned to Aledo and entered into
partnership with Judge James M. Wilson on the 1st of July, 1892, under the
firm name of Wilson & Church. That relation was maintained until October i,
1895, when the firm was dissolved and Mr. Church became the senior partner of
the firm of Church & Watson, his partner being Robert L. Watson, with whom
he was associated in practice until March i, 1898. He has since been alone in
business and enjoys a fair clientage. He has always been prominent in political
affairs, has supported the Republican party since attaining his majority and for
four years served as secretary of the Republican county central committee. He
is well versed on the issues of the day, and his advocacy of the principles in which
he so firmly believes is very effectual.

Mr. Church is a member of Aledo Lodge, No. 252, A. F. & A. M.; Cyrus
Chapter, No. 211, R. A. M.; Aledo Chapter, No. 126, O. E. S. ; and Aledo
Lodge, No. 272, K. P. He has held various offices in these bodies and is a valued
representative of both fraternities. The lady who presides over his home was
in her maidenhood Miss Bertha Boyd, the youngest daughter of Martin Boyd,
of Aledo. Their marriage was celebrated November 7, 1894, and to them is ex-
tended the hospitality of the best homes of the city in which they reside.

Guy Charles Scott was born at Bald Bluff, Henderson county, Illinois, on
the I4th of August, 1863, and is descended from one'of the old families of Vir-
ginia, founded in that state in 1740 by Hugh Scott, who emigrated from Scot-
land, his native land, to the New World soon after colonization was begun oh
the border of the James. His son, Samuel Scott, was a soldier in the American
army in the war of the Revolution and fought with, distinction at the battle of
King's mountain. This branch of the family the one to which our subject be-
longs continued residents of Mercer county, Virginia, until about 1820, when
they removed to Fountain county, Indiana, and thence to western Illinois. The
parents of our subject are Samuel and Sarah E. (Wilson) Scott, and the father
is a farmer and stock-grower by occupation. The mother belongs to a Pennsyl-
vania family of German extraction.

Like most American boys, Guy Charles Scott devoted his youth largely to
the acquirement of an education, and after attending the common schools was a
student in Knox College, of Galesburg, Illinois. He made his home with his
parents on the farm and assisted in the cultivation of the fields until nineteen
years of age, and then went to the territory of Wyoming, where he was engaged
in surveying for 'the government in the Big Horn country for two years. On
the expiration of that period he returned to Illinois, and his love of debate and
of intellectual contest led him to take up the study of law as a preparation for a
life work. He became a student in the office of Bassett & Wharton, of Aledo.



THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS. 1133

nd was admitted to the bar in 1886, since which time he has steadily worked
his way upward until the profession and the public readily accord him recogni-
tion as one of the leading lawyers of the fourteenth district. After his admis-
sion to the bar he was appointed to the position of deputy county .clerk of Mer-
cer county, and upon the death of Charles C. Wordin, the clerk, he was selected
by the board of supervisors to fill the vacancy pending the election of a clerk by
tbe people. He entered upon the active practice of law on the 1st of September,
1887, and for a time was associated with John C. Pepper, under the firm name
ot Pepper & Scott. On the dissolution of that partnership he became the senior
member of the present firm of Scott & Cooke, his partner being George A.
Cooke. During his practice Mr. Scott has conducted important litigation in the
federal and state courts, with gratifying success. He has much natural ability,
but is withal a hard student and is never contented until he has mastered every
detail of his cases. He believes in the maxim, "There is no excellence without
labor," and follows it closely.

In his political views Mr. Scott is an earnest Democrat, believing most firm-
ly in the superiority of the principles of his party. He was a delegate from Illinois
to the Democratic national convention in 1892, and was opposed to the re-nomi-
nation of Grover Cleveland at that time. He was elected mayor of Aledo in April,
1895, and re-elected in 1897, so that he is the present incumbent. His adminis-
tration is business-like, progressive and practical, and the best interests of the
city have been materially advanced through his efforts. At the judicial election
in 1807 he was the Democratic candidate for circuit judge in the fourteenth cir-
cuit of Illinois, and, though defeated, the district being largely Republican, he
carried his home county, which is usually Republican, by a majority of more
than twenty-one hundred, a fact which indicates his popularity where he is best
known. He is very active in political work and for several years was chairman
of the Democratic county central committee.

On the 1 7th of May, 1888, Mr. Scott became a Master Mason in Aledo
Lodge, No. 252, A. F. & A. M.; he belongs to Everts Commandery, No. 18, K.
T., of Rock Island, Illinois, the Order of the Temple having been conferred upon
him by that commandery April 12, 1897. In June, 1887, he received the degrees
of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

He was married June n, 1891, to Jessie, daughter of Dr. George Irvin, of
Aledo, who is a representative of a Scotch-Irish family that came to Illinois from .
Pennsylvania in the '505. Mr. and Mrs. Scott have a daughter, Kathryn, born
December n, 1894. They attend the Presbyterian church of Aledo, of which the
lady has been a member from her girlhood.

William E. Lodge, one of the oldest members of the Illinois bar, in point of
years of actual practice, and a sterling citizen of Monticello, is a worthy example
of what may be accomplished by the American youth, for, upon setting forth
upon his business career, he was not only poor and without influential friends
but was moreover handicapped with a very meager education. In fact, it was
not his privilege to attend school to any extent, as eighteen days is the sum total
of the time which he passed in the school-room. The ambitious young man



1 1 34 THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS.

knows no such word as fail, and of such a stripe was Mr. Lodge, for he studied
during the intervals of his work and at night for years, thus becoming well-in-
formed in spite of adverse circumstances.

A native of Cincinnati, Ohio, William E. Lodge was born December 8, 1834.
His parents were Benjamin F. and Julia A. (Brooks) Lodge, who were from New
Jersey and Philadelphia, respectively. In 1836 Mr. Lodge, of whom we write,
came to Illinois, and in 1857 entered upon the study of law in the office of Green
& Edes, of Paris, Edgar county. Having been admitted to the bar of this county,
he settled in Monticello and opened an office here in March, 1859, and from that
time to the present his home has been in this city and he has been constantly
occupied in his professional duties. His first partner was H. C. McComas, and
they were together but one year. For several years thereafter, and at intervals,
Mr. Lodge was associated with David McWilliams and H. E. Huston. About
ten years ago he took James Hicks into business as his partner, and the firm is
now Lodge, Hicks & Lodge. The junior partner is W. F. Lodge, the eldest son
of our subject. During the first year of his practice W. E. Lodge appeared be-
fore the supreme court of Illinois. Year by year his business has increased, until
he has found that every hour of his time is occupied. For a great many years
he has been the local attorney for the Wabash and Illinois Central Railroads.
Though actively interested in the Democratic party he has never been prevailed
upon to accept any public office, either elective or by appointment. During po-
litical campaigns, in former years, he was one of the best rostrum speakers of the
party in central Illinois, and his services were always in great demand.

Over thirty years ago Mr. Lodge chose for his companion on the journey
of life Miss Frances Piatt, daughter of William H. Piatt. Their marriage was
solemnized January 30, 1868. Five sons were born to them and all survived to
maturity, being worthy citizens of the several communities in which they make
their homes to-day. Mrs. Lodge departed this life at her home in this city, Sep-
tember 16, 1895, mourned by a large circle of devoted friends, to whom she had
endeared herself by her charming traits of character.

Samuel R. Reed has been a representative member of the Piatt county bar
for over thirty years, and during this long period his home has been in Monti-
cello, where he is highly esteemed as a .citizen. In the legal profession, perhaps
more than in any other calling, success comes as a reward of earnest, indefati-
gable effort, energy well directed, and the exercise of sound common sense.
There are no chance strokes of good luck, no fortuitous circumstance which can
possibly take the place of hard work and years of persevering labor in the law
and he who ranks well in the estimation of his colleagues and distinguished mem-
bers of the profession must certainly be the possessor of great ability and knowl-
edge of the law.

The father of our subject was Rev. Samuel Reed, a well known minister in
the Presbyterian denomination. He was a native of Pennsylvania, as was also
his wife, whose maiden name was Margaret Thompson. Both were honored and
beloved by all who knew them, their lives being spent in doing good to their fel-
low men.



THE BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS. 1135

Samuel R. Reed, of whom this sketch is penned, is a native of eastern Ohio,
his birth having occurred June 16, 1842. His early education was such as the
common schools of the neighborhood afforded, supplemented by private reading
and study. He was an apt scholar and made good progress in his studies, so
that when he was eighteen years of age he had no difficulty in passing the re-
quired teacher's examination and obtaining a school. It was in that year, 1860,
that he came to Illinois, and for three or four years thereafter he taught with
marked success in Champaign and Piatt counties.

Having decided to adopt the profession of law as his own, Mr. Reed com-
menced study along that line, under the direction of Coler & Smith, of Cham-
paign. He was admitted to the bar in 1866 and at once opened an office for
practice in Monticello, the county-seat of Piatt county. He has conducted a gen-
eral practice and has been very successful.

The Democratic party has found a stanch ally in Mr. Reed, and upon several
occasions he has been urged to allow his name to appear as a candidate for one
position or another. In 1872 he was elected state's attorney and served for one
. term and in 1874 he was appointed master in chancery, and acted efficiently in
that capacity for six years. In 1890 his political friends urged him to run for
congress, but he declined, believing that his ticket would be in a great minority.
As is now well known, this was a mistaken idea, for he undoubtedly would have
been elected, as was Owen T. Scott, of Bloomington, who was placed on the
ticket in his stead.

The marriage of Mr. Reed to Miss Jennie Clouser, .of Piatt county, was
solemnized in 1862. Their union has been blessed with three sons and two
daughters, all bright, talented young people, of whom their parents have just
reason to be proud. The second son, E. E. Reed, has been admitted to the bar,
but is at present engaged in the real-estate business.

Henry G. Carter, a genial and popular citizen of Mound City, is held in
high esteem. He is one of the old inhabitants of the place and has always been
very active and influential in the support of local enterprises and industries. Com-
ing here during the first year of the great civil war, he has since looked upon
Mound City as his home and has occupied various official positions here from
time to time, acquitting himself of the duties pertaining thereto with ability and
distinction. For thirty-five years he has been an active member of the bar of
this county ; was city attorney here for five years and served in the capacity of
police magistrate for one year. He stands well with the Democratic party of this
section of the state and in 1890 made the race for the legislature. He was active-
ly associated with General Palmer in the campaign of that fall, and although
defeated helped to cut down the Republican majority of twelve hundred to less
than three hundred. Being appointed by State Auditor Gore building and loan
examiner for southern Illinois, Mr. Carter served as such from 1892 to 1894. In
April, 1895, he was appointed by President Cleveland postmaster at Mound City,
and entered upon his new duties on the ist of May following, serving until his
resignation, July i, 1898, when he returned to the practice of his chosen pro-
fession, the law, in which he is now actively engaged.



1136 THIS, BENCH AND BAR OF ILLINOIS.

The birth of Henry G. Carter occurred March 24, 1840, in Woodford county,
Kentucky, his parents being George W. and Rose A. Carter. His father was a
merchant and manufacturer, a man of excellent business and social standing.



Online LibraryJohn M. (John McAuley) PalmerThe bench and the bar of Illinois : Historical and reminiscent (Volume v.2) → online text (page 72 of 83)