John Murray (Firm).

Handbook for travellers in Scotland online

. (page 42 of 73)
Online LibraryJohn Murray (Firm)Handbook for travellers in Scotland → online text (page 42 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1. Lochend Inn is nearly opposite
Aldourie.

I On rt. is Aldourie, the seat of Col.
j Fraser Tytler. In this house was
I born, 1765, Sir James Mackintosh.
On 1. Dochfour House (Evan Baillie,
Esq.), a modern Italian mansion.
To this succeeds rt. Ness Castle
(Lord Saltoun), soon after passing
which the steamer arrives at the
t Midrtovm, 6 pair of Locks {Inn :
Muirtown, fair), the resting and
starting place of the Caledonian
Canal steamers, where omnibuses are
in readiness to convey passengers to

1^ m. Inverness. {Hotels : Railway,
Caledonian, good ; Union.) Rte. 64.



SECTION lY.

Fife— St. Andrews — Kinross — Clackmannan — Par-Aof Pehthsiiire
— Perth — Dunkeld — Dundee — Forfar, etc.



INTRODUCTION.
1. General Information. § 2. Objects of Interest.



ROUTES.



40- Edinburgli to Dundee, by
Burntisland, Cupar, and St.
Andrews .... 256

40a Edinburgh to Perth, by
Burntisland Ferry, Mark-
inch, Ladyhank, Abernethy,
2in& Bridge of Earn . .265

41 Edinburgh to Dunfermline,

and Stirling, by Thornton
Junction .... 267

42 Stirling to Kinross & Perth,

by \Alvd\ Alloa, Dollar,
Castle Camplell, Rumhling
Bridge, Kinross (Eail), and
Cauldron Linn [Glenfarg] 269

43 Stirling to Perth, by Crief

Junction and Auchterarder 274

44 Callander to Dunkeld, by

Lochcarnhcad, Killin

(Rail), Kenmore, Tay-
mouth, and Aherfeldy . 278



45 Stirling or Perth to Loch-

earnhead, by Crie.f (Rail),
Coriirie, and St. Fil-

lans 284

45a Crieff to Aberfeldy or Dun-
keld, by Amulree and the
Small Glen . . .288

46 Taymouth (Kenmore) to In-

veroran, by Fortingal and
Glenlyon . ' . .289

47 Kenmore to King's House

(Glencoe), by Kinloch-Itan-
noch. For Pedestrians . 290

48 Perth to Forres and Inver-

ness, by Dunkeld, Killie-
crankie, Blair-Athole, Kin-
cfussie, and Grantown
(Rail) . . . .292

49 Perth to Dundee and Ar-

broath (Rail) . . .303



§ 1. General Information.

The country included in this division would be more explored by
travellers if its numerous attractions were better known. Fife and
Kinross, besides being counties of the highest agricultural cultivation
(Howe of Fife), are full of picturesque beauty, and abound in fine
seats and parks — Donibristle, Raith, Wemyss C, Balcarres, Leslie
House, Broomhall, Dysart H. The country bordering on the estuaries
of the Forth and Tay commands most inviting prospects. It has hills
of respectable height, such as the Ochill range, the Sidlaw Hills,
stretching along the Carse of Gowrie from Perth to Forfar, and the



254 § 2. Ohjeds of Interest Sect. IY.

crroiip of the Tivo Lomonds in Fife, not comparable with those of the
Highlands, yet they enclose glens and gorges of romantic beauty.
Such are the Pass of Glenfarg, the Dens of Airlie, of Finella near
Bervie, and the Burn at Kincardine, and the valley of the Devon —
Burns's " crystal Devon, winding Devon." The rolling round-backed
Ochill hills giv^ little indication at a distance of the deep gorges and
narrow chasms, threaded by bright burns and waterfalls, which in-
tersect them — such as those of Rumbling Bridge, Castle Camp-
bell, and Glen Alva — all easily reached from Stirling, These fine
glens are a prelude to the magnificent scenery of Perthshire — a
grand county, extending from the fertile Carse of Gowrie and Strath
Earn to the mountain passes of Dunkeld and Killiecrankie, and the
incomparable upper valley of the Earn from Crieff to Loch Earn —
scarcely to be surpassed in Scotland. Here the traveller has the full
enjoyment of the finest Highland scenery, in the midst of mountains
such as Ben Voirlich, Ben More, Ben Lawers, and Schiehallion.

Convenient Railways now" carry the tourist into the centre of this
fine scenery, from Perth by Dunkeld to Blair- x4.thole and Strathspey,
and from Callander to Loch Earn and the borders of Loch Tay.

Perthshire includes those noble parks and seats, Dunkeld, Tay-
mouth, Drummond Castle, Menzies, Ochtertyre, Dunira, Rossie,
Kinfauns, Dupplin, Scone, etc.

The great towns are — Perth, chiefly remarkable for its pretty
situation, and Dundee for its great commerce and thriving manufac-
tures.

The historic sights and antiquities of the district include Dun-
fermline Abbey, Falkland Palace, the decayed city of St. Andrews
(which may also be styled a Gothic Pompeii from the number of its
ruins). Castle Campbell, on the shoulder of the Ochills, with its
romantic gorges, Lochleven Castle, a fragment of shapeless wall,
which yet attracts pilgrims for the sake of Queen Mary ; the
Gothic churches of Arbroath, Dunkeld, etc.

There is no lack of good accommodation for travellers in the
inns of Crieff, St. Fillans, Lochearnhead, Killin, Taymouth, Dun-
keld, Dollar, Kinross, Rumbling Bridge, Pitlochrie, Blair- Athole, etc.

§ 2. Objects of Interest.

Burntisland. — Aberdour Church and Castle ; Donibristle.

Kirkcaldy. — Raith ; Ravenscraig.

Dysart. — Old Houses ; Church ; Caves ; Stehorane.

Falkland. — Palace ; Lomond Hills.

Dairsie. — Castle ; Church ; Dura Den.



Introd. §2. Objects of I/itered. 255

Leuchars. — Eomanesque Chnrcli ; Earl's Hall.

St. Andrews. — Cathedral ; St. Rule's Tower ; Castle ; United
College of St, Salvator and St. Leonard ; Parish Church ; St. Mary's
College ; Madras College ; Links and Golf Club House.

Collessie. — Beaton's Tower ; Lindores Abbey.

JVewb urgh. — Cross.

Abernethy. — Round Tower.

Bridge of Earn. — Hill of Moncrieff ; Glenfarg.

Greenloaiiing. — Ardoch Camp.

Crieff. — Cross ; Drumniond Castle ; Tomachastle ; Glenturrit.

Forteviot. — Dupplin Castle ; Scenery of the May.

Perth. — St. John's Church ; Kinnoul Hill ; Dunsiunane Hill ;
Moncrieff Hill ; Kinfauns Castle ; Elcho ; Scone.

Dunfermline. — Abbey ; Palace Ruins ; Terrace in the Churchyard.

Alva. — Scenery of the Alva Glen.

Dollar. — Castle Campbell and Glen ; Rumbling Bridge ; Cauldron
Linn.

Kinross. — Lochleven Castle ; St. Serf's Isle.

Loch Earn. — Glen Ogle ; Braes of Balquhidder ; Loch Voil.

Comrie. — Devil's Cauldron ; Melville's Monument ; St. Fillans ;
Dunira ; Vale of Earn.

Loch Tay. — Killin ; Finlarig Castle ; Ben Lawers.

Kenmore. — Taymouth Castle and Park ; Stones at Craig Monach.

Glen Lyon. — Comrie and Garth Castles ; Fortingal yew-tree ;
Meggernie Castle ; Pictish Tower ; Schiehallion ; Kinloch-Rannoch.

Aberfeldy. — Falls of Moness ; Cross at Dull ; Weem Craig.

Glen Almond. — Trinity College ; Small Glen ; Amulree ;
Inchaffray ruins.

Methven. — Castle Grounds ; Trinity College ; Huntingtower
Castle.

Stanley. — Campsie Linn ; Stobhall.

Murthly. — New and Old Castles ; Woods and Pine Trees.

Dunkeld. — Bridge ; Cathedral ; Duke of Athole's grounds ;
Birnam Hill ; Craig-y-Barus ; Rumbling Bridge.

Pitlochrie. — Vale of Tummel ; Ben Vrackie ; Falls of Tummel ;
Bridge of Garry ; the Queen's View ; Loch Tummel.

Pass of Killiecranhie. — Woods of Faskally.

Blair- Athole. — Castle ; Glen Tilt ; Falls of the Tilt and the
Fender ; Ben-y-Gloe ; Falls of Bruar.

Kingussie. — Valley of the Spey ; Loch Laggan ; Glen Roy ;
Parallel Roads.

Aviemore. — Woods 'of Rothiemurchus ; Loch Alvie ; Loch-
an-Eilian ; View of Cairngorm ; Larig Pass.



256



Route 40. — Burntisland to Dundee.



Sect. IV



Bridge of Carr. — Dulsie Bridge ; the Streens.

Gran town. — Castle Grant.

Dunjjhait. — Altyre ; scenery of the Findhorn ; Relugas ; Loch-
an-Dorb ; Castle ; Course of the Divie ; Glen Ferness.

Inchture. — Eossie Priory ; Fowlis Easter Church.

Dundee. — Harbour ; Old Church Tower ; Flax and Jute Mills ;
View from the Law ; Tay Railway Bridge ; Broughty Castle.

Arbroath. — Abbey ; Bell Rock Lighthouse ; Cliff Scenery ;
Caves at Auchmithie ; Red Castle ; Red Head ; Lunan Bay,



ROUTE 40.

Edinburgh to Dundee, by Burnt-
island, Cupar, and St. Andrews.

From the Waverley Bridge station
trains fun to Gvanton, where the
tourist is ferried across the Firth to
Burntisland.

Granton has become important
from being the place of departure of
the London and Aberdeen steamers,
as well as for the refuge it affords to
large vessels in an easterly gale,
thanks to the large Flcr and break-
waters constructed by the D. of Buc-
cleuch. The central pier, on which the
traius run alongside of the steamer,
projects 1700 ft., and can be ap-
proached at any state of the tide.

Tolerable Ferry Steamers, fur-
nished with upper deck, ply 7 or 8
times a day from Granton to Burnt-
island, 5 m., in 4 or f hr. The tra-
veller during his passage gets a mag-
nificent view of Edinburgh Castle
and New Town, backed by the Cal-
ton Hill and Arthur's Seat. To the
rt., at the entrance of the Firth of
Forth, is the island of Inchkcith,
which Dr. Johnson landed on and
explored with Boswell, 1773, finding
"very good grass, but rather a pro-
fusion of thistles." The English
planted a fort and garrison here com-
manding the harbour of Leith and
the Firth of Forth, to the disgust of
the Scotch. The French held and
garrisoned it, 1565, in accordance



with the Treaty of Edinburgh, and
Brautome calls it "File des Che-
vaux." A fort inscribed "Maria Re.,
156i," was pulled down to furnish
materials for the more useful Light-
house, conspicuous at night by a
bright revolving light far and near.

At Burntisland the traveller lands
in Fifeshire, one of the richest and
most productive of all the Scottish
counties. Its soil is fertile, and it
has great wealth in coals and large
manufactures, and abundant popu-
lation. As a proof of its former im-
portance, it may be mentioned that
it contains 13 royal burghs — viz., St.
Andrews, E, and W. Anstruther,
Burntisland, Grail, Dysart, Inver-
keithing, Kilrenny, Kinghorn, Kirk-
cald}% Pittenweem, Cupar, and Dun-
fermline, many of which are now
mere villages.

Tlie Steamers land at a convenient
pier close to the Terminus of the
Perth and Dundee Railway, where
the train is waiting.

Burntisland {Inn: Forth H.) is a
Pari. Burgh (pop. 3265), and a fa-
vourite watering-place with the
Edinburgh people, to whom its
ready access and its bracing air are
gi-eat recommendations. It is pret-
tily overhung by the Binn End
Hills, a trap-tuff range 700 ft. in
height, and there are some pleasant
walks to the foot of Dunearn and
the ravines amongst the hi'ls. At



Fife.



Route 40. — Kirkcaldy ; Dysart.



257



the E. end of the town the sea conies
in far upon the land, and forms a
fine and sandy beach.

The views across the Forth, of
Edinburgh, give interest to all this
part of the Fife coast.

^ m. to the N. of the town is the
ruined ch. of Kirkton, formerly the
parish ch.

3 m. to the AV. (a very pretty sea-
side walk) is Aherdour {i.e. month
of the water) village, which has the
ruins of an old ch. of Dec. date,
and of a deserted castle or castel-
lated mansion, a building of the 1 7th
eenty. From hence Inchcolm, Avith
its primitive cell or hermitage and
Abbey (2 m. in a row-boat), Doni-
bristle, the seat of the Earl of
Moi-ay, with beautiful wooded park,
and Dalgetty, can all be conveni-
ently visited (Rte. 19).

From Burntisland the train keeps
close to the sea to

104 m. Kinghorn Stat, near
which, in 1286, King Alexander III.
was thrown over a precipice, by his
horse stumbling, and killed. If the
day is clear, the views over the op-
posite coast of Haddington, embrac-
ing Berwick Law and the Bass Rock,
are very charming. Kot far from
Kinghorn is Grange, the old resi-
dence of Sir Wm. Kirkcaldy, the
partisan of Mary Queen of Scots. A
little to the S. of Kinghorn is the
promontory of Petticur.

12 m. rt. Seafield Tower, on a rock
projecting into the sea.

14 ra. Kirkcaldij Stat., the "lang
toon," stretching, with the village
of Pathhead, for a good 2 m. along
the shore (pop. 12,422). An old
religious establishment belonging to
the Abbey of Dunfermline existed
here, the head of which resided at a
place still called "Abbot's Hill,"
the position of the old house being
marked by a venerable yew tree
which stood close by. Near here are
the ruins of a tower called BaAv^earie
[Scotland.]



(1| m. 1.), which has Avails 7 ft.
thick. In the 13th centy. Michael
Scott the wizard was born, and re-
sided at Balwearie. In the mountain
limestone qioarries near Kirkcaldy
are found many pretty minerals,
calcite, steatite, augite, apophyllite,
etc.

Overlooking Kirkcaldy are the
beautiful grounds and Avoods of
JRaith (Col. Ferguson), Avhich are
embellished with an artificial lake of
20 acres, and a tower commanding
a magnificent view of the Forth and
distant Edinburgh. The house AA'as
originally built in 1694, since Avhich
tAvo Avings and an inner portico
have been added. Noble pine trees
here.

Dunnikier Den is a pleasant Avalk.

In 1644 Charles I. made Kirk-
caldy a free port, Avith additional
privileges, and it noAv possesses a^
considerable shipping business in
coals, besides some linen and flax
manufactories. It was the birthplace
of Adam Smith, and the house is
still shoAA-n in Avhich he Avrote his
"Wealth of Nations." At Path-
head, on the shore, are the ruins of
Eavenscraig Castle, commemorated
in the tragic ballad of "Rosabelle."

" Moor, moor the harge, ye gallant crew,
And, gentle lady, deign to stay !
Rest thee in Castle Ravensliengh,
Nor tempt the stoniiy Firth to-day."

The castle Avas granted by James
III. to "William Sinclair, Earl of
Orkney, on his resignation of that
title. It AA-as inhabited till the Re-
storation, but is noAv a picturesque
ruin overhanging the sea. The
same family haA-e handed doAvn their
name to the suburb — Sinclairtoivn
(Stat.)

16 m. Dysart Stat., a dull toAvn
with one or two cotton mills and
chimneys, is said to derive its
name (?) from " desertion," a monk-
ish solitude. The upstart suburb
Sinclairtown is surpassing Dysart in
manufacturing industry. Adjoining
m2



258



Route 40. — Thornton Junction — Leven. Sect. IV.



is Dysart House {Earl of Eosslyn).
To the 1. is Dunnikier House (J. T.
Oswald, Esq.), and Dunnikier Law,
commanding a fine view of the
country, and the Firths of Tay and
Forth. The old ch. of Dysart,
standing close by the sea, was a
venerable and stately edifice, but is
now a ruin. One of the windows
bears the date 1570, but a great deal
of it is of a far older time. The
tower is peculiar in its little staircase
turret, and the decorations above
the corbel gable. On the shore are
several caves, the largest of which
was excavated in the rock as a re-
treat, or Dcmrtuvi, by St. Serf, who
preached the gospel on the shores of
the Firth, and had a ch. at Culross,
680-700.

1 m. to the E. are the " ^vZ
Mocks,'''' where witches were burnt in
foi-mer times.

The rly. now tends inland to

18^ m. Thornton Jdnct. Stat,
where a branch line is given off
1. to Dunfermline and Stirling
(Rte. 41).



[E. Branch Ely. rt. to Leven and
Anstruther.

On rt. (on the coast) are the vil-
lages of E. and W. Wemyss, with
Wemyss Castle (J. Erskine Wemyss,
Esq.), built about the commence-
ment of the last centy., but enlarged
in the presoit. It stands upon a
rock some 30 ft. above the level of
the sea. Queen Mary first met
Darnley at the old castle in Feb.
1565, and was married in the July
following. The clitts along the shore
are hollowed out with " ?/;ee'/;is," or
caves, from which Wemyss gets its
name. Not far off rise the ruins of
Macduff's Castle. Near W. Wemyss
are numerous smoky collieries. On
H hill near it is the old town cross of
Cupar. The line is carried down the
valley of the Orr, which joins the
Leven, to



4 m. Cameron Bridge Stat.

6 m. Leven Stat., a small seaport at
the mouth of the Leven river, famous
for its " links " or sands, which under
the name of Leven, Scoonie, and
Lundin Links, stretch all the way
to Largo. * They are much used for
the pursuit of the favourite Scottish
game of golf.

8^ m. Largo Stat., or Kirkton
Largo, is a considerable village, part
of which, Lower Largo, is situated on
the coast. It was the birthplace of
Alexander Selkirk, the original of
Robinson Crusoe, in 1675. His
humble cottage stood about 1 m.
from the kirk, but has been pulled
down. In the neigh])ourhood are
the romantic glen, called " Kiel's
Den,'' and Durie House, with
beautiful grounds, always open. On
1. is the conical hill, called Largo
Law, a very conspicuous feature in
all views of the Fifeshire coast,
rising 1000 ft. above the sea, and
commanding a fine view.

Largo House is the seat of Mrs.
Denliam.

Linden House, 1 m., a modern
mansion, includes an ancient tower.
In the park are 3 Standing Stones,
14 and 16 ft. high : a 4th is gone.

12f m. Kilconqnhar Stat, (locally
pronounced Kinuchar), literally "the
church at the head of the fresh-
water Lake," Avhich immediately
adjoins the village. A little to the
N. are the village of Colinsburgh,
Charleton (.J. Anstruther Thomson,
Esq.), Pitcorthie, and Balcarres (Sir
Coutts LindsayfBt.), which has lovely
grounds and views. In this old
mansion of the Earls of Balcarres
Lady Anne Lindsay (Barnard) wrote
the ballad "Old Robin Gray."
There are some fine old trees here ;
Lathallau (S. Lumsdaine, Esq.), and
Kilcouquhar House (Sir John Be-
tliuue).

14 m. Elie (Stat) is a long straggling



Fife.



Pioute 40. — Markinch Junction.



259



village, connected with a western
suburb called Earlsfeny. Elie House
is the residence of J. Anstruther,
Esq. The coast, Avhich has hitherto
been for some distance sandy and
rather low, now becomes rockj^ aiKl
precipitous from here to St. AudreAvs,
affording but slight chance of pre-
servation to any unfortunate vessel
which may be driven on it. E. from
Jjcven are good sections on the coast
of the carboniferous volcanic rocks.

16 m. aS*^. Monance (Stat), named
after the patron saint.

The chapel of St. Monance was
built by David II., in gratitude for
his recovery from a wound received
at the battle of Nevill's Cross in
1346. One of the arrows stuck in
his wound, and defied every attempt
to get it out, until the king made a
pilgrimage to St. Monance's shrine ;
wlien, as he was standing wrapped
up in his devotions, the arrow at
once leapt out. The chapel is cruci-
form, and at the intersection of
chancel and transept has a short
square tower, sunnounted by an oc-
tagonal steeple, the little belfry
windows on which give a foreign
effect. The interior, which is lighted
by Dec. windows with beautiful tra-
cery, has a fine groined roof, and a
square recess with ogee-headed com-
jmrtments for sedilia. St. Monance,
the patron saint, is identified by
some antiquaries with St. Ninian,
the founder of Whithorn in Galloway
(Ete. 10).

ITi ra. Pittenweem (Stat.), a poor
little place, although once one of the
royal burghs of Fif'eshire.

2 m. N.AV. is Balcctski& (Sii- Ealph
Anstruther). The house is one of
the Scoto-French mansions, and was
built by Sir W. Bruce, the royal
architect for Scotland. The gardens
are old-fashioned, and are worth
seeing for their hanging terraces and
clipped hedges. The line terminates
at



19 m. Anstruther Stat, a little
seaport, the birthplace (17S0) of
the Rev. Thomas Chalmers, D.D.
Efforts have been made to improve
its harbour, and £60,000 have been
laid out in piers and breakwater under
direction of John Hawkshaw, Esq.,
C.E. A coach plies between An-
struther and St. Andrews.

6 miles out at sea is the Isle of
May, a rocky islet, containing the
ruins of a chapel, also a Lighthouse.]



Proceeding N. from Thornton June,
the main line crosses the Leven to

21m. Markinch Jvjtict. Stat., whence
an excursion of 1 m. to the east will
bring the tourist to the ruins of Bal-
gonie Castle, a work of great strength,
probably built in the 12th centy.
The approach, through a grove of
walnut-trees, is very picturesque.
The ruins consist of a large court-
yard, with a tower 80 ft. high, rising
on the N. side. In Balgonie Ch.
rests David Leslie, General of the
Kirk and Estates army, who with-
stood "Wallenstein at Stralsund, and
was defeated by Cromwell at Dunbar.

[From here a short branch of 4 m.
to W. leads to Leslie (Stat.), passing
14 m. rt. Balbirnie House (J. Bal-
four, Esq.). Leslie is a populous and
busy place, dependent on its flax' and
bleaching mills, and, like many of
the Fifeshire towns, contains some
interesting remains of street archi-
tecture. Adjoining it is Leslie House,
the fine old seat of the Countess of
Rothes. Adam Smith, when a child,
was kidnapped from Strathendry by
gipsies, and carried into these woods.
"The Green" is one of the many
places where the scene of King James
V.'s poem, "Christ's Kirk on the
Green," is supposed to be laid.

The views from the high gi-ound
to the W., above the old ruins of
Strathendry Castle and House (Hon.
Mrs. Douglas), are exceedingly good,
and embrace a large extent of coun-



260 Rte. 40. — Edinburgh to Dundee : Falkland. Sect. IV.



try westward, Avith Loch Leven, and
the straight channel of the Leven
issuing from it. On the opposite
shore is Kinross.

24 m. Falkland Road Stat, is 3 m.
from Falkland. Omnibuses twice a
day : or a trap may be ordered by
a telegram from the Inns.

Falkland {Inns, Commercial —
Bruce Arms) is now a quiet village,
once a royal burgh, lying at the head
of the plain called ' ' The Howe of
Fife." It consists chiefly of modern
houses, with a modern Gothic clock
or spire, and lias several spinning
mills for linen. It is charmingly
situated at the foot of Easter Lomond
Hill, one of an important range of
Fifeshire hills rising from 1100 to
1400 ft. On a raised phatform, over-
looking the plain, stands the Palace
of the Stuart Kings of Scotland, who
resorted hither for the sake of the
chase. It is entered from the street
by a very picturesque gateway flanked
by 2 loopholed round towers, and
shows on this side a late Gothic
front. This and the greater part of
the ruined edifice now remaining
were built by James V., who fre-
quently repaired hither to hunt, as
did also his daughter, Queen ]\lary,
and her son, James I. It was never
adapted for a place of defence, but
has much of the character of one of
those sunny chateaux of Touraine,
Blois, Amboise, or Chambord, in
which ]\Iary of Guise may have passed
her youth. It dates from 1430-40.
The S. wing, which turns to the
main street, an elegant fa9ade of
narrow mullioned windows, alone is
tolerably perfect, and is in part in-
habited. James V. died here of a
broken heart. The fagade towards the
courtyard, now a garden, (1530-40)
is more Italian in character. It is di-
vided by pilasters or buttresses in the
form of grouped pillars, and sliows the
composite design of the Renaissance
period, with carved scrolls and cor-
nices. The windows, divided by



transoms, are flanked by medallion
heads of kings and queens. The
most interesting part is the Great
Hall, 75 ft. long, with a flat roof of
oak, ribbed and pannelled in geo-
metric patterns, now sadly dilapi-
dated. The castle was burned in
the time of Charles II., who lived in
it 10 days, 1650. The original
castle was built by the Macduffs, the
powerful Thanes and Earls of Fife.
Their descendant, Robert Stewart,
who became also Duke of Albany,
here starved to death his nephew,
the Duke of Rothesay, the heir to
the throne. For some days the
young man's life was preserved b)"^ a
woman, who through a reed gave him
milk from h^r own breast, but was
discovered, and it is said put to
death. On the attainder and exe-
cution of Albany and his sons
(1424), the castle became the pro-
perty of the Crown {see Sir W. Scott's
" Fair Maid of Perth "). The palace
belongs to the Crown, but the ruins
and the pretty gardens attached to
them are well taken cai'e of by Col.
Tyndall Bruce of Falkland, hereditary
keeper. In tlie courtyard is a monu-
ment with statues of two of that
family. Their seat, Falkland House,
a modern Gothic mansion (by Burn
and Bryce, architects, 1840), on the
edge of a shady glen running up into
the Lomond hill, is about 1 m. W.
of the town.

Near Kingskettle Stat, the line
passes 1. Nuthill, and crosses the
Eden to

27 m. Ladybank Junct. Stat., a
gi-eat rly. depot and centre, from
which lines diverge N. to Perth
(Rte. 40a), rt. to Cupar, St.
Andrews, and Dundee, and I. to
Kinross.

To St. Andrews and Dundee the
Railway passes through a prettily
wooded country to

30 m. Springfield Stat., passing 1.
Rankeillour (D. Maitland-Makgill-



Fife.



Route 40. — Cupar ; Dairsie ; Leuchars.



261



Cricliton, Esq.), and rt. Crawford
Priory; a fine modern Gothic man-



Online LibraryJohn Murray (Firm)Handbook for travellers in Scotland → online text (page 42 of 73)