eBooksRead.com books search new books
John N. (John Norris) McClintock.

Colony, province, state, 1623-1888. History of New Hampshire (Volume 1) online

. (page 12 of 58)
Online LibraryJohn N. (John Norris) McClintockColony, province, state, 1623-1888. History of New Hampshire (Volume 1) → online text (page 12 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook
learning and liberty, and withal bigoted in their advanced
notions. Cromwell had peopled the waste districts of northern
Ireland with these, his most trusted and reliable troops, to pacify
that land most effectually. A change in the government
brought careless King Charles II to the throne, a Catholic at
heart, an Episcopalian by profession, a voluptuary in practice, who
withdrew his support from, and deprived of arms for defence,
the Scotch colony planted in Iicland, leaving them to the mercy
of a revengeful peasantr)-. Who so ready to welcome a revolu-
tion as these brave Scots, oppressed by the government, cruelly
persecuted by their neighbors, and powerless to oppose ? William
of Orange became their champion, ami, like the Ironsides of
Cromwell, their fathers, they drove the Irish from their borders,
antl withstood the most determined siege in historv within the
walls of Londontlerry, resisting the power of the Irish and
French troops seeking to reduce them.

They could present a brave front to an open attack, but they
were not equal to withstanding the petty encroachments of the
Established Church insidiously undermining their beloved Kirk.
The Pilgrims had found religious freedom in a new and undeve-
loped country, and thither the Scotch-Irish sent agents to spy
out and report the condition of the land and its fitness for
occupation. The Irish hati not intimidated them ; they scorned
the untutored Indian. Like an invading host they flocked to
the sea-board and poured into New England, Pennsylvania, and
the southern provinces, pushing the frontiers rapidly into the
untrodden wilderness, and settling the fertile valleys and hill-
sides far in advance of their predecessors. One stream striking-
Boston was diverted to Londonderry. The Scotch-Irish colony
located there in 17 19 came to stay. Hundreds followed in their
footsteps, tarried awhile with their friends so happily settled,
and pressed on into the wilderness, over the hills to the P"alls of
Amoskeag, up the Merrimack, by Hooksett Falls, to the fertile
valley of the Suncook. still further to the blooming intervales of
Penacook and the wide meadows of the Contoocook. They



I40 HISTOKV U.- NEW IIAMPSHIKE. IW-^

were cultivating fields in Epsom before the township was laid
out to the grantees. The Massachusetts surveying party laying
out Concord reported that they were in possession of the inter-
vales, and were protected by a fort from disturbance of friend or
foe. The law dislodged them from that favored spot, now the
site of the village of East Concord, and was invoked to keep
them out by the first settlers : for among the first regulations
adopted by the proprietors of " Penacook " was one forbidding
the alienation of any lot without the consent of the community
under penalty of forfeiting the right to the lot to the proprietors
— a rule evidently intended to exclude a "parcel of Irish people "
known to be seeking homes in the neighborhood.

The proprietors of Suncook no doubt found the land occupied
by these same strangers and aliens, but the same prejudice did
not prevail, for early in the records of the township the Scotch-
Irish were holding " original rights," were admitted as pro-
jDrietors and freeholders, and even as early as 1737 were claiming
a majority. No doubt they held the title to their lands first by
possession and occupation, next by legal conveyance from the
Suncook proprietors. Being in a majority they claimed a voice
in the settlement of a minister to preach the gospel, but were
" counted out," and paid their rates towards the support of a
minister not to their liking with evident disrelish.

^ What wealth of associations is connected with the name of
Londonderry ! The Scotch Covenanters, stern, brave men, who
made a garden of the north of Ireland, who so stubbornly and
successfully defended their devoted city, who helped so manfully
to maintain the monarch and the cause that later would oppress
them as aliens, surrounded by enemies at home, burdened by
obnoxious laws enforced by their allies of the Established
Church, sought in the wilderness of America liberty and that
religious freedom which the Puritans, a century earlier, had suc-
cessfully gained. A young man. Holmes by name, son of a
Presbyterian minister, brought a good account of the promised
land. Four congregations, led by their respective clergymen,
commenced the exodus, which, in a few years, rendered possible

I Hon. L. \ Morrison, A. M.



IJig] KOVAI. I'KO'/IXCE. 141

the American Revolution. Governor Shute, of Massachusetts,
was above the narrow prejudices of his contemporaries in the
colony, and welcomed this band of hardy settlers, resolute
warriors, scholars and skilled artisans, and generously granted
tliem a large section of land. 'April 11, 1719, the congregation,
under the spiritual guidance of Rev. James MacGregore, arrived
at Horse Hill and commenced the settlement of the township of
Londonderry, a tract, as originally granted, twelve miles square.
It cornered on the present Massachusetts State line, and was
bounded on the south by Pelham, on the west by Litchfield, on
the north by Chester, and on the east by Hampstead. It in-
cluded the present towns of Londonderry, Derry, and Windham,
and tracts now embraced within the towns of Salem, Hudson,
and the city of Manchester.

These settlers, whose descendants have removed the odium at-
tached to the name of Scotch-Irish, and have written their
names on the imperishable pages of history, receiving their
original grant from Massachusetts, had it confirmed to them by
the authorities of New Hampshire, purchased the right claimed
under the Wheelwright deed and evidently entered into a compact
with the Indians, for they were never disturbed in their possess-
ions, although a frontier town. During the first summer they
united in cultivating a field in common, amicably dividing the
produce in the autumn. Although not rich, they brought with
them considerable property from the old country, and very soon
were surrounded with many of the comforts and even luxuries
of civilization. A two-story house was built for their minister,
and a commodious church for public worship. Schools were estab-
lished in different parts of the town and much attention
given to the education of the young. It is a characteristic fact
that ninety-five out of one hundred of the original proprietors
left their autographs in a fairly legible hand on various petitions.

The progress made by the town of Londonderry was remark-
able. Its wealth and population increased rapidly. In 1775
it contained 2,590 inhabitants, ranking next to Portsmouth in im-
portance. By 1820 Gilmanton and Sanbornton had outstripped
it, and it held the fourth position among the New Hampshire
towns.



143



IIISTOKV OF .Ni;w HAMPSHIRE.



.1719



The vanguard of the Scotch-Irish invasion which settled Londonderrv, ac-
cording to Jolin Farmer, were :



Randel Alexander.
Samuel Allison.
Allen Anderson.
James Anderson.
John Barnet.
Archibald Clendenin.



James Clark.
James Gregg.
John Mitchell.
John Morrison.
James McKean



John Xesmith.
Thomas Steele.
Sterrett.
John Steward.
Robert Weir.



Within a few vears thev were followed by



James Adams.
John Adams.
James Aiken.
Nathaniel Aiken.
James Alexander.
John Andersen,
Robert Arbiickel.
John Archbald.
John Barnett.
Moses Barnett.
John Barr.
Samuel Barr.
John Bell.
James Blair.
John Blair.
James Caldwell.
James Campbell.
David Cargill.
Benjamin Chamberlain.
Matthew Clark.
Andrew Clendenin.
Ninin Cochran.
Peter Cochran.
Robert Cochran.
William Cochran.
Thomas Cochran.
John Conaghie.
Hugh Craige.
John Craig.
Jesse Cristi.
John Cromay.
John Dinsmore.
Patrick Douglass.
William Eayrs.
JanieN (iillnior.



Robert Gillmor.
John Goffe.
John Goffe, Jr.
Samuel Graves.
John Gregg.
William Harper.
James Harvey.
John Harvey.
William Hogg.
Abraham Holmes,
lonathan Hollnie.
John Hopkins.
Solomon Hopkins.
Thomas Horner.
Samuel Houston.
William Humphrey.
David Hunter.
Alexander Kelsey.
Robert Kennedy.
Benjamin Kidder,
James Leslie.
James Lindsay.
Edward Linkfield.
Daniel McDuffie.
Robert McFarlin.
Nathan McFarlin.
James MacGregore.
David MacGregore.
Robert McKean.
Samuel McKean.
Archibald Mackmurphy,
John McMurphy.
Alexander MacNeal.
John McNeill.
William Michell.



Hugh Montgomery.

John Moore.

William Moore.

James Morrison

Robert Morrison.

Samuel Morrison.

David Morrison.

James Nesmith.

.Alexander Nickels.

Hugh Ramsey.
James Reid.

Matthew Reid.
Alexander Renkine.

Samuel Renkin.
James Rodgers.

Hugh Rogers.

John Shields.

Archibald Stark.
Charles Stewart.
Thomas Stewart.
James Taggart.
John Taggart.
James Thomson.
William Thomson.
Robert Thompson.
Andrew Todd.
Samuel Todd.
Alexander Walker.
James Walles.
Archibald Wear.
Robert Weir.
Benjamin Willson.
Ja:nes Willson.
Hugh Wilson.
Thonias Wilson.



I720J KOYAL PROVINCE. I43

And later by those cf the name of



Taylor.


Pierce.


McAlester.


Gibson.


Spaulding.


Livermore.


Burns.


Prentice.


McClintock.


Parker. ^


Wallace.


Knox.


Proctor.


Choate.


Mann.


Thornton.


Patterson.


Cunningham.


Thom.


Fisher.


Daniels.


Simonds.


Pinkerton.


Martin.



The granting and incorporation of Londonderry to new com-
ers was distasteful to men who for a generation had suffered to
maintain a foothold along the coast against the attacks of a
cruel and treacherous enemy, cramped for land as they and their
large families had become ; and immediately all kinds of reasons
were advanced why townships should be granted, both in New
Hampshire and in what was then claimed as Massachusetts,
bounded by a line parallel with the Merrimack river, extending to
Governor's Island in Lake Winnipiseogee, and thence running
due west across the present State of Vermont to the east line
of the Province of New York. Some of these petitions were
favorably received and acted upon. In 1722, Governor Shute,
as his last official act, granted and incorporated, in the name of
the King, the four townships of Chester, Nottingham, Barrington,
and Rochester.

^ The records of Chester commence with the proceedings of
a meeting of the " Society for settling the Chestnut Country,
held at said country, the fifteenth of October, 17 19." The
society had probably existed some time, and was composed
principally of men of Hampton and Portsmouth. Afterward
duplicate records were kept at Hampton. The number of the
society was restricted to ninety. They had preferred a petition
to the governor and council, and in March, 1720, it was with-
drawn, and another presented. They also voted to keep three
men on the ground, and a possession fence was built. They
also laid out lots before obtaining any grant. This meeting was
probably at Walnut Hill, near the south east corner of the town-
ship. There was also another company of Massachusetts men,



144 IIISTUKV OF NEW llAMI'SUIKE. [1/22

headed by John C.ilf, who were endeavoriat; to [jrocure a grant.
John Calf was a clothier at the Falls, in Newbury, and was a
grantee under the charter of Chester, and moved and carried
on the trade there. They also tried to have possession. There
is a deed on the records to Samuel Ingalls of "Cheshire,"
blacksmith, dated Oct. 23, 1717. H'e appears afterward, indeed,
to be of Haverhill, but he had a constructive residence in
Chester, and a constructive possession of the territory. There
seems, by the House and council records, to have been other
parties endeavoring to obtain a grant. There is a deed on
Rockingham records, dated May, 1722, wherein Stephen Dud-
ley, of Freetown (Raymond), in consideration of affection, con-
veys to Francis James of Gloucester, his right to 400 acres in
Freetown, to be taken out of that tract bought of Peter Penult,
and Abigail his squaw, by deed, dated on Jan. 17, 1718.

This was probably a move for color of title and possession
for some of the parties. There was a compromise made by
admitting certain persons of the Massachusetts party, and also
of E.xeter, and a grant was obtained Jan. 4, 1720; but the char-
ter of the town was dated May 8, 1722. The governor and
lieutenant-governor had each a farm of 500 acres, and a home
lot, by a vote of the society ; and the charter provided that the
first settled minister should have a right, also one for a parson-
age, and one for a school. The boundaries commenced at the
south-east corner, at the supposed intersection of Haverhill
and Kingston lines. In 1674, Haverhill lines were run from
Holt's Rocks (a little east of the Rock bridge), north-west ; and
from Merrimack river due north, until it cut the first line.

At this spot was " erected a great pillar of stones," which
two old men, more than si.xty years ago, told Benjamin Chase
they had seen in Chester South Woods. When the Province
line was settled in 1741, Daniel McDuffee and Hugh McDuffee,
who lived near Kimball's corner in Derry, were cut off from
Haverhill.

When the town was laid out into lots, there were 1 17 grantees ;
and each member of the council had a right. The home lots
of 20 acres, from the corner by Kingston, and the old Haver-



1722] KOVAI. I'KOVINCE. 145

liill line, to the head of Chester street, and a ten rod way cross-
ing at right angles where the Centre now is, on which the
first meeting-house was built, were laid out in 17 19, before any
grant was made. In 1724, an additional lot of fifty acres was
laid out to each grantee. The beavers had built dams on the
stream, which killed the growth, and when the beavers were
killed and the dams went down, the grass came in, and in
1728 a meadow lot was laid out to each right. There is a
stream, which heads near the Congregational church in Auburn,
extending into Londonderry, with meadows, which was called
the '-Long Meadows"; and what is now Auburn was the
"Long Meadows." In 1728, the first part of the second
division of lOO acres, called the " Old Hundreds," which is the
present town of Raymond ; in 1736 the second part of the
second division of 100 acres ; in 1739 the third division of 80
acres, all in Candia ; in 1745 the fourth division of 60 acres;
and in 1752 the fifth division of 40 acres, all in Hooksett, were
laid out. Maps of these divisions were made at the time, and
have been preserved by copying, and all deeds gave the number
and division of the lot, so that one can locate every settler
whose deed is on record. The first settler was Samuel Ingalls,
born in Andover, 1683, and moved to Haverhill, and had six
children before coming to Chester ; and his daughter Meheta-
ble, born 1723, was the first child born in Chester. She married
Samuel Moore, who afterwards lived at Candia corner. She
died in 18 18. There is a tradition that he came to Chester
in 1720. In March, 1722, Samuel Ingalls of Winfield, otherwise
Cheshire, sold a right, reserving the home lot, number 64, " on
which I live." He built the first farmhouse about 1732; held
the ofifice of raoderator, selectman and town clerk. In 1731,
Samuel Ingalls is styled captain on the record and Ebenezer
Dearborn, lieutenant, and Jacob Sargent, ensign, which was the
first military organization. January, 1720, he and three others
had land and a privilege granted to build a saw-mill, and in
1730 John Aiken had a grant of land to build a grist-mill.

Londonderry was granted to settlers, already on the ground,
but there were but six of the oriirinal cfrantees of Chester who



146 HISTOKV OF NKW HAMPSHIRE. ['7-2

ever lived here, except the Rev. Moses Hale, the first minister
who settled on the minister's lot. The first settlement was at
Walnut Hill, near the south-east corner, but settlers soon came
in from different parts and settled in different places. The
charter provided that every proprietor should build a house and
settle a family in three years, and break up and plant three
acres in four years, and a meeting-house should be built in
four years, provided that there should be no Indian war in that
time. The settlers, who were grantees, were Samuel Ingalls,
William Healey of Hampton Falls, Dea. Ebenezer Dearborn of
Hampton, who had five sons ; Nathan Webster of Bradford, who
had three sons ; John Calf, who lived in Chester, and Thomas
Smith of Hampton.

The sons of grantees were John and Samuel Robinson, sons
of Ichabod of Hampton Falls ; Ephraim, Thomas, and John
Haselton, sons of Richard of Bradford ; Anthony and Francis
Towle, sons of Caleb of Hampton, and Elisha, a grandson,
settled in Raymond ; and John Shackford, son of Samuel of
Portsmouth ; and Samuel Emerson, son of Jonathan of Haver-
hill. His name first appears on the records in 173 1, when he
was elected town clerk, and was re-elected every year until
1787, when he died. His son John succeeded him until 1S17.
He was a land surveyor, and laid out the second part of the
second division in 1736, and all subsequent divisions. He did
all the surveying and wrote most of the deeds. He was a man
of such judgment and integrity, and the people had such confi-
dence in him, that nearly all the minor controversies were
referred to him without any legal formalities, and his decision
was beyond appeal or review. His son, Nathaniel, was a promi-
nent man in Candia. Among the early settlers were Enoch
and Benaiah Colby, and Paul and Sylvanus Smith of Hampton ;
Ensign Jacob Sargent from Amesbury, Sampson Underbill
from Salisbury, Cornet John Lane from Rye; Henry, Jonathan,
and Nathaniel Hall from Bradford ; Thomas, Moses, Daniel,
and Caleb Richardson ; also, Benjamin Hill, who was the first
representative elected, but not received ; and Abel Morse, who
was the first representative received, from Newbury : who were



1722] ROVAI, PROVINCE. I47

Congregationalists. Then of the Scotch-Irish, who were Pres-
byterians ; the grandfather, James Wilson, who died 1739, aged
100; the son, James, and his four sons, William, James, Robert,
and Hugh. They came from Ireland to Stratham, thence to
Chester in 172S; Alexander Craige, William White, William
Crawford, John Talford, William and Robert Graham, John
Aiken, and James Shirley. In 1728, the meeting-house was located
at "Centre where four principal roads met," near the minister's
lot. The dimensions were fifty by thirty-five feet, and each
proprietor was to pay forty shillings. The house was not fin-
ished until several years afterwards, and in 1737 land was
granted to Peter and Thomas Cochran, the builders. This
house stood until 1773, when a new and noble house was
erected, and since has been modernized.

In 1729, Mr. John Tuck of Hampton was called to be the
minister, with a salary of ^120, which he declined. January
15, 1729, Rev. Moses Hale was called to be the minister with a
salary of ^120. He was ordained October 20, 173 1. He was
born at Newbury, 1702; graduated. Harvard, 1722. He built
a house on the minister's lot, and purchased Governor
Wentworth's home lot, which was sold to his successor, Rev.
Ebenezer Flagg. Mr. Hale soon became deranged, and was
dismissed in 1735, and moved to Haverhill. June, 1735, Rev.
Timothy White was called, but declined. June 23, 1736, Rev.
Ebenezer Flagg was called, with a salary of ^^120, silver at
twenty shillings per ounce. He was ordained September, 1736.
He was born at Woburn, October 18, 1704; graduated Harvard,
1725 ; died November 14, 1796, and was succeeded by Re v.
Nathan Bradstreet, 1792.

The Presbyterians joined in building the meeting-house and
paying Mr. Hale; but before he left they had hired the Rev.
John Wilson, and afterwards built a meeting-house about a mile
south of the other, and they protested against hiring or settling
any other minister. They appealed to the governor and coun-
cil by a document, in an excellent handwriting and language
and noble sentiments ; and the result was an act was passed,
1740, incorporating two parishes. There is in existence one of



148 HISTORY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE. [1722

Mr. Wilson's manuscript sermons, dated 1734. There was a
small meeting-house built at the Long Meadows, and about one
third of the preaching was there. In 1793, the two were talvcn
down and a new one built at the Long Meadows. Mr. Wilson
died February i, 1778, succeeded in stated supplies by a Mr.
Clark, Mr. Amran and others, and Mr. Colby, installed 1863.

The first grant for a saw-mill was made to Samuel Ingalls
and others, and a grist-mill to John Aiken. About 1734, John
Calf moved to Chester, and in 1735, had a grant of land and
privilege to build a fulling mill on the stream running into the
pond, above the present mill-pond. There probably was none
to the north of it for a long time, and an extensive business
was done. His son Robert succeeded him, and built a saw-
mill there. Samuel Shirley had built a corn-mill on the present
site, and Calf's dam being cut away, he and his son-in-law,
Joseph Blanchard, purchased Shirley's' in 1777, and the privi-
lege has been used for a grist-mill, saw-mill, clothing-mill and
for other manufactures.

In 1739, land and privilege was granted to John McMurphy
to build a grist-mill on Massabesic river, below the pond, re-
serving the right to build iron works, should ore be found.
The first inventory on record was, in 1741, returned to the
secretary's office to make a proportion of Province rates, on
which are 150 names, 124 houses, 97 horses, 78 oxen. In 1776,
there were 916 inhabitants. In 1744, a writ for the election of
a representative was sent to Chester by the governor, and
Benjamin Hill was elected, but was sent back because the writ
was not issued by the Assembly. In 1748, Captain Abel Morse
was received.

The committee of the society voted that when the next pro-
prietor forfeited his lot, it should be appropriated to a school ;
January, 1721. In 1737, jCso were raised for a school ; the
master to be removed to different parts of the town. In 1740,
it was voted that a school should be maintained through the
year, partly by masters and partly by dames. In 1744, the town
was divided, and school-houses built probably then. It was
voted in 1750, that Charming Fare (Candia) and Freetown (Ray-



17-2] ROVAI. PROVINCE. 1 J9

iiiond) should have their share of tlie school money. The town
was required by law, having loo families, to have a grammar
school. The selectmen were once indicted for not having such
a school.

It will be seen that Chester was a very large town, and now
constitutes several towns. At the annual meeting, March, 175 i,
it was voted that "a tract at the south-west corner of the town,
four miles long and five miles and three quarters wide, may bo
adjoined to a part of Londonderry, and the lands about Amos-
keag may be set off as a separate parish." The land between
Chester and the river called Harrytown had never been incorpo-
rated into any town.

Chester old line was about a mile from the city hall of Man-
chester. This was incorporated into a township, called Derry-
field, September 3, 175 1. The name was altered to Manchester,
in 1810.

At the annual meeting, March, 1762, "voted that a tract
about four miles and a half long, and four miles wide, may be
incorporated into a parish;" incorporated December 17, 1793;
named Candia. At a meeting, January 22, 1763, it was voted
"that tlie north parish or Freetown shall be set off as a town or
parish ; " incorporated by the name of Raymond, May 9, 1764.

The inhabitants of that part of Chester, commonly called
"Chester Woods," extending to AUenstown, suffering inconven-
iencies, the farthest having to travel seventeen miles to town
meeting, preferred a petition to be set off, and at the annual
meeting, March, 1822, the town passed a vote in favor, and July
2, this, with a part of Dunbarton, was incorporated by the name
of Hooksett.

In 1845 the town was divided, and the west part, which had
been called the Long Meadows, containing about two-fifths of
the territory and inhabitants, was incorporated by the name of
Auburn.

Settlements were not commenced at Nottingham and Roches-
ter until after the Lovewell war. Harrington was settled about
1732.



ISO



HISTOKV OF NEW HAMPSHIRE.



1722



in Februarv , 1717, occurred tlie greatest fall of snow recorded in the an-
nals of New England — almost burving under the frozen mass the small log-
houses of the new plantations. In Boston the snow was six feet deep. Dur-
ing the year the laws of die Province were printed for the first time, at Boston,
in a folio volume of sixtv pages.'




>Jt.wCAsrl-"^ ysi(£H'»ieN



CHAPTER VIII.

ROYAL PROVINCE, 1722-1740.

Lieutenant-Governor John Wentworth — Governor Samuel Shute —



Online LibraryJohn N. (John Norris) McClintockColony, province, state, 1623-1888. History of New Hampshire (Volume 1) → online text (page 12 of 58)
Using the text of ebook Colony, province, state, 1623-1888. History of New Hampshire (Volume 1) by John N. (John Norris) McClintock active link like:
read the ebook Colony, province, state, 1623-1888. History of New Hampshire (Volume 1) is obligatory.

Leave us your feedback | Links exchange | RSS feed 

Online library ebooksread.com © 2007-2014